PDA

View Full Version : It's official - Peter Dean

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 07:20 PM
The Western Bulldogs are pleased to announce the appointment of Peter Dean as Assistant Coach – Back line.

Dean comes to the Bulldogs with an impressive track record as a coach and former AFL player (Carlton). His most recent position was as head coach at the Murray Bushrangers Football Club where the TAC Cup team recorded the best rated defensive side in the league with the least amount of points scored against them in the 2007 home and away season.

Dean said, “I am really excited to now be involved in the Western Bulldogs Football Club. They are a young team that is going places. The only way to achieve results is through hard work and hopefully my football knowledge will help make the Bulldogs a better side.”

Senior Coach Rodney Eade said Dean had a history of success not only as a player but also in coaching. “His experience will help develop our young defensive group into the players we know they can be.”

Peter will begin with the Western Bulldogs on November 12.

Leon Cameron is now Assistant Coach – Midfield while Wayne Campbell has accepted a full-time role as Assistant Coach – forward line.

Peter Dean’s Bio:

1973-1981 South Bendigo Junior Football Club

3 x Junior Premierships

1982 South Bendigo Football Club Under 18's- Premiers

Victorian Under 17 Teal Cup Representitive- National Champions

South Bendigo Football Club- Senior 18 (after Teal Cup)

1983 South Bendigo Football Club- Senior 18

South Bendigo Football Club- Senior 18 Best & Fairest

VCFL Representitive versus All Australian Amateurs

1984- 1998 Carlton Football Club

248 Games (inc. 14 Finals), 41 goals

Day Premierships- 1987 & 1995

Night Premierships- 1992

Victorian Representitive- 2 Times

Australian Representitive- 2 Tests versus Ireland in 1990

Life Member

Senior Club Match Day Runner- 2002

1999- 2003 Diamond Valley Football League (Metropolitan Melbourne)

Northcote Park Football Club

Playing Assistant Coach 1999-2001

Playing Coach- 2002

Non- Playing Coach- 2003

Premiers- 1999, 00, 01, 02

2003- Finished 3rd (Defeated in Preliminary Final)

Northcote Park Football Club Team of the Century

Diamond Valley Football League Interleague Coach versus Eastern Football League 2003

2004-2005 Northern Bullants Football Club (VFL)- Carlton Football Club affiliate team

Asssistant Coach to Barry Mitchell

2004- 3rd last

2005- finished 3rd (Defeated in Preliminary Final)

2004-2005 Victorian Metro Under 18 National Championship Team

- Backline Coach

- National Champions both years

2006- 2007 Under 18 TAC Cup- Murray Bushrangers Head Coach

2006- Finished 9th

2007- Finished Runners Up to Calder Cannons

2007 Victorian Country Under 18 National Championship Team

- Backline Coach

The Bulldogs Bite
29-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Good news, that's a fine appointment. Well done Dogs.

I don't understand why Campbell has been made forward coach, though? It doesn't make too much sense.

Nevertheless, happy with the signing of Dean. Appears to have good credentials, hopefully he can improve our defense.

Max469
29-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Great news - always wanted him to wear the Red, White and blue.

Not how I wanted him to wear them - but it will do.

Topdog
29-10-2007, 07:53 PM
It's a good signing IMO. We still need to sort out our midfield though

BulldogBelle
29-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Great news, I was always a Peter Dean fan, looking forward to seeing him weave some magic into the backline.

LostDoggy
29-10-2007, 10:50 PM
He is definitely no metrosexual, so I can say its a good thing :)

LostDoggy
29-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Thats a fair rap sheet.

Good luck to him, i have confidence in him. Now all we need is an actual forward to coach the forwards.

And wasnt Campbell recuited to fix our problem at the stoppages? That failed so now he moves onto our forwardline? Geez.

Bulldog Revolution
30-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Peter Deans resume is pretty extensive and I think its good to get an assistant who has done a few miles to get there at a few different levels.

I dont think its fair that we as supporters continue to scapegoat Campbell. I didn't always like him as a player but I respected him. Campbell was a player that got the maximum out of his abilities (297 games and four B & F's) and was a leader both on and off the ground.

I understand the historical issues with him but Eade surely would not hire him full time if he did not have some footy intellect and something to offer - we are not in the habit of offering free rides. We tried him out in 2007 as a part timer and have upgraded his role this year. He should have far more scope to have an impact from 2008 onwards and it will be come more reasonable that he accept his portion of blame for the team performance moving forward.

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 12:19 AM
He has the credentials - and the experience - it does seem a good appointment.
Although many of you don't like Cambell - he seems to have won rocket's respect - so he must be doiing something right. I am also glad that Cameron is still with us - I thought he had gone as well. Things are starting to look up - now for the draft:D

southerncross
30-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Although many of you don't like Cambell - he seems to have won rocket's respect - so he must be doiing something right. I am also glad that Cameron is still with us - I thought he had gone as well. Things are starting to look up - now for the draft:D

Agreed on both points. It's time people got over the Wayne Campbell appointment and backed Eade in that decision. After all it's Eade who will pay if he can't deliver what Eade wants.

Peter Dean has a lot of experience but I am cautious about this appointment. terrific footballer no doubt but it doesn't always translate into results. His communication skills might need to improve from what I hear.

BulldogBelle
30-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Although many of you don't like Cambell - he seems to have won rocket's respect - so he must be doiing something right.

I don't have a concern with Campbell, Eade obviously is very impressed with him and as I understand it he is very happy with him being at the Bulldogs and Campbell is enjoying his time at the Dogs.

Bulldog Revolution
30-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Peter Dean has a lot of experience but I am cautious about this appointment. terrific footballer no doubt but it doesn't always translate into results. His communication skills might need to improve from what I hear.

Dean was never a media spokesman whilst at Carlton as a player so we never got any insight into how he communicated in that way. And I couldn't agree more - on field success is not a predictor of coaching success.

I think the range of experience on the Dean resume is impressive though: DVFL assistant and headcoach, VFL assistant, TAC Cup Head Coach, Under 18 Nat Champs Assistant.
And its this body of work that should be have really developed his technical knowledge, and his communication skills. Its the resume of someone who has worked hard for an opportunity.

I am not suggesting its all just going to happen now that we've got Peter Dean but I think its good to hire someone with so much experience post their AFL playing days.

In a lot of ways we go into 2008 with a very inexperienced coaching group - Campbell and Dean are first year full time assistant AFL coaches, and Cameron is now in charge of the midfield for the first time.

It will be interesting to see who we add to the mix as the Development Coach and the Footy Manager

southerncross
30-10-2007, 08:40 AM
What I have heard about Dean is that he wasn't a great communicator in any of the junior footy jobs he had. He will start with a clean slate though but I just don't buy that the tough uncompromising former footballer will necessarily translate into a good fit for us. It certainly didn't with Silvagni.

By the way, I think the development position has been filled by Brad Gotch.

Bulldog Revolution
30-10-2007, 08:57 AM
What I have heard about Dean is that he wasn't a great communicator in any of the junior footy jobs he had. He will start with a clean slate though but I just don't buy that the tough uncompromising former footballer will necessarily translate into a good fit for us. It certainly didn't with Silvagni.

By the way, I think the development position has been filled by Brad Gotch.

I think todays HSun article mentioned we would be adding another development guy to the mix - and IMO we do need it. Gotch will already have a fair workload on his plate with the VFL alignment and we really have to be on top of development.

The Underdog
30-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't think anyone can argue too much with this appointment, especially anyone who remembers the way he played his football. One Carlton player I didn't hate just because he played for Carlton. Unassuming, tough and has obviously done some yards as far as coaching too.

As for Campbell, I've posted on BF regarding this, but to be succinct, before we crucify him remember he has played a lot of footy and often pretty well, been captain of a club and wasn't appointed to this position just because he was the nearest guy hanging around at the time there was a vacancy. He's spent a year there already in a part time role and Eade and the rest of the hierarchy obviously see something in him. Obviously Dogs supporters have a reason to be biased against him, but who knows maybe he'll make it up to us.

Mantis
30-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Not knowing much about Dean's coaching style and only going by the way he played the game I think he will be a very good acquistion to our coaching staff. In saying that his resume reads quite well and he has some varing coaching experiences which should hold him in good steed.

I would think re: communication skills that he will be working more with individuals rather than in groups so I think this would make him more comfortable.

Let's hope he can pass on some the skills to our defenders which made him such a tough, uncomprimising and dependable defender. We sure need it.

GVGjr
30-10-2007, 10:51 AM
He's just given an interview on SEN. He's not a great speaker but it was an honest and frank interview.

He did mention the development position was still to be filled.

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 11:17 AM
He's just given an interview on SEN. He's not a great speaker but it was an honest and frank interview.

I'm a firm believer that actions speak louder than words. I hope this is the case here.
Too many people today speak a lot of crap including the football circle.

Mantis
30-10-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm a firm believer that actions speak louder than words. I hope this is the case here.
Too many people today speak a lot of crap including the football circle.

Here, here..

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 11:32 AM
I've heard he's a plain speaking bloke who calls a spade a ****ing spade.

Like Ernie says sometimes we get carried away by how eloquent an ex player is without looking to hard at the wisdom contained in his words. Let's hope he can instill some steel into our defence. I also hope he 'dumbs down' some of the instructions to some of the guys. I just reckon a few defenders have been encouraged to think about what they are doing a bit too much to the extent they are so worried about making mistakes they dont enter contests.

He's also a Bendigo boy. Campbell, Dean, maybe Nathan Brown will want to come back now we have so many guys from his home town.:p

Scorlibo
30-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Ben Mcevoy connection ;) :)

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Ben Mcevoy connection ;) :)

I don't for one minute think this will change Clayton's selection but perhaps Peter can provide him with some snippets of information on a few players which might help.
I wonder if McEvoy is genuinely in the mix.

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Great appointment, especially for guys like tom williams and everitt (our young defenders) who still have alot to learn about our game.

southerncross
31-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Great appointment, especially for guys like tom williams and everitt (our young defenders) who still have alot to learn about our game.

Lets hope that the hard nosed defender is also a quality teacher of the game. The younger and older players can still benefit by a good teacher and hard task master.

The Underdog
31-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Lets hope that the hard nosed defender is also a quality teacher of the game. The younger and older players can still benefit by a good teacher and hard task master.

It's interesting, as a lot of the younger guys and especially Williams probably don't remember Dean playing, so I wonder if they should put together some footage to show these guys just how he played the game. It might just prick up their ears a bit, make them listen a bit harder. Again hopefully he is a good teacher and motivator. He's got some young guys at his disposal and I think backlines really work well when they are a 'gang' for want of a better word. A bit of recklessness and intimidation mixed in with disciplined play and a belief in each other. Knowing that if you go you're mates will cover for you.