PDA

View Full Version : The Rumour Mill

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

doggies ftw
17-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Think we need a thread dedicated to any rumours you've heard about the club, of course 90% of them are fake but they are always good fun for a read IMO. I know some of you guys have some very good info, its time to spill the beans and share your goodness with the rest of us! :p

Post any rumours you hear in here - who we're interested in drafting, who were looking to trade for, who wants out of the club, whose going to be a late out/inclusion, who shagged his teammates missus, I'm talking anything. You can name (and shame) your source for extra credit if you like.

I'll try to update this post so we can see who has the good stuff and who talks shit!

To kick things off heres a little one posted on BF a few weeks back -

We're looking to trade our first pick for a KPF this year (I know, HUGE surprise...) with Sam Reid currently at the top of our hit list. This came from the same poster who said that JJ would be dropped for an off field incident, which he was that week so he at least has a little bit of credibility.

Let the bullshit... I mean fun... begin! :rolleyes:

boydogs
17-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Sam Reid is a poor man's Liam Jones. I remember the JJ & Hunter rumour which was somewhat proven with JJ dropped and Hunter remaining in the VFL but this one sounds off the mark

doggies ftw
17-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Sam Reid is a poor man's Liam Jones. I remember the JJ & Hunter rumour which was somewhat proven with JJ dropped and Hunter remaining in the VFL but this one sounds off the mark

I wouldn't mind us going after him, it all depends on what we'd have to give up but he would be perfect to slot in at CHF imo. Fantastic mark and a huge tank which is what we need, someone who can consistently present up the ground and take marks on the wing, allowing Jones to stay deep. They both are still largely potential, but they could possibly be an extremely good duo in the long run IMO.

boydogs
17-06-2014, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't mind us going after him, it all depends on what we'd have to give up but he would be perfect to slot in at CHF imo. Fantastic mark and a huge tank which is what we need, someone who can consistently present up the ground and take marks on the wing, allowing Jones to stay deep. They both are still largely potential, but they could possibly be an extremely good duo in the long run IMO.

Crameri & Grant should be coming up the ground. Jones is a good pack mark but we're lacking a gorilla who can win a 1 on 1 marking contest and give repeat leads. A Taylor Walker type

F'scary
17-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Crameri & Grant should be coming up the ground. Jones is a good pack mark but we're lacking a gorilla who can win a 1 on 1 marking contest and give repeat leads. A Taylor Walker type

Come on, Jones is a plenty big enough hulk at 198/98.

boydogs
17-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Come on, Jones is a plenty big enough hulk at 198/98.

So you don't think we need to get a KPF at the end of the year?

Remi Moses
18-06-2014, 02:49 AM
I'd look at Reid, but not with our first pick.

LostDoggy
18-06-2014, 08:28 AM
There's already a thread dedicated to silly, baseless rumours. Link here: http://www.bigfooty.com

Maddog37
18-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Haha. Very good

bornadog
18-06-2014, 10:47 AM
There's already a thread dedicated to silly, baseless rumours. Link here: http://www.bigfooty.com

Never heard of that forum :D

1eyedog
18-06-2014, 11:43 AM

Mistaken. He played well against Port - saving mark in the dying minutes and is surplus to Sydney the way he is being used atm.

The Doctor
18-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Have seen various internet rumours (all baseless it seems) linking us to GWS players, Patton & Jansch and also Membrey of the Swans

bulldogtragic
18-06-2014, 01:03 PM
I can start one here. We were linked to a mid size forward at Geelong but he stayed as Pods and Chappy were shipped. If he's not getting game time, then surely he comes to us. In a tradition of amazing recruits we've got from .geelong.

Bulldog Joe
18-06-2014, 01:10 PM
I can start one here. We were linked to a mid size forward at Geelong but he stayed as Pods and Chappy were shipped. If he's not getting game time, then surely he comes to us. In a tradition of amazing recruits we've got from .geelong.

I was just thinking this morning about our trading history with Geelong.
The best player in the last 15 years was actually Peter Street and we gave up pick 20 or thereabouts. We could just have gone to the draft and selected a certain Ben Hudson who went to Adelaide for 50 odd.

Think we have done better from Geelong getting retired players to help with the coaching.

Twodogs
18-06-2014, 07:03 PM
I was just thinking this morning about our trading history with Geelong.
The best player in the last 15 years was actually Peter Street and we gave up pick 20 or thereabouts. We could just have gone to the draft and selected a certain Ben Hudson who went to Adelaide for 50 odd.

Think we have done better from Geelong getting retired players to help with the coaching.

Matty Robbins went alright.

F'scary
18-06-2014, 08:34 PM
So you don't think we need to get a KPF at the end of the year?

I agree we need another monster sized KPF for FF. Jones CHF

doggies ftw
18-06-2014, 11:04 PM

I like Crameri and Grant up the field, they are athletic and cover good ground and they are usually pretty creative when they get it. But really they need it delivered well to make an impact, they aren't the sort to push up the ground and take big marks. If we could add a CHF with good skills, a big tank and really good hands who could just consistently present up to the wing, and take some big marks it would help the team so much.

I really do think Jones can play as a FF, like mentioned before he is a big unit. If his tank can keep improving and we snagged a Patton type to let Jones play CHF, i'd also be pretty happy with that. We need to get one of those types as soon as we can though.

bornadog
18-06-2014, 11:39 PM
I like Crameri and Grant up the field, they are athletic and cover good ground and they are usually pretty creative when they get it. But really they need it delivered well to make an impact, they aren't the sort to push up the ground and take big marks. If we could add a CHF with good skills, a big tank and really good hands who could just consistently present up to the wing, and take some big marks it would help the team so much.

I really do think Jones can play as a FF, like mentioned before he is a big unit. If his tank can keep improving and we snagged a Patton type to let Jones play CHF, i'd also be pretty happy with that. We need to get one of those types as soon as we can though.

Wasn't Cloke so impressive last week, just that sort of player we need.

jeemak
18-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Wasn't Cloke so impressive last week, just that sort of player we need.

I think the Swans have shown it doesn't matter how many good quality KPF's you decide to cram into a 22 it's normally OK if you get them on the park.

This is why I think GWS was never going to err in selecting Boyd last year, unless something completely ridiculous was offered up to get him to another club. By ridiculous I mean a low first round pick (like our pick 4) and a player of Griffen's or Liberatore's ilk and a mature player like a Picken or Wood etc.

Some clubs end up with a guy like Cloke who can take hold of a game, and in a lot of ways it's just dumb luck that they do. As good as Collingwood has been these past years, you have to remember they were fortunate to have Cloke arrive as a FS. It wasn't good recruiting that got him there.

This is why I get really pissed off about commentary lamenting our inability to have landed a very good KPF over the past 6 or so years. We literally haven't had the chance to nail them like other clubs have with early draft picks, and we haven't had the benefit of FS selections to get them across the line.

Bulldog Joe
19-06-2014, 12:18 AM
Matty Robbins went alright.

Well there I forgot all about Matty Robins having been at Geelong. He trumps Peter Street, but he was traded in 97 so I am exonerated because it is outside the 15 years.

Twodogs
19-06-2014, 12:29 AM
ISome clubs end up with a guy like Cloke who can take hold of a game, and in a lot of ways it's just dumb luck that they do. As good as Collingwood has been these past years, you have to remember they were fortunate to have Cloke arrive as a FS. It wasn't good recruiting that got him there.

This is why I get really pissed off about commentary lamenting our inability to have landed a very good KPF over the past 6 or so years. We literally haven't had the chance to nail them like other clubs have with early draft picks, and we haven't had the benefit of FS selections to get them across the line.

They had to pry him away from Richmond who he also qualified for.

And you're dead right on the second point. No Hawkins, no Cloke, no Richo even, no, Jono Brown.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2014, 11:26 AM
They had to pry him away from Richmond who he also qualified for.

And you're dead right on the second point. No Hawkins, no Cloke, no Richo even, no, Jono Brown.

Jayden Foster I hope proves this comment wrong!! I hope like hell anyway!! :)

bornadog
19-06-2014, 12:38 PM
we haven't had the benefit of FS selections to get them across the line.

We thought we had a ready made one in Cordy. Let's hope he works out.

doggies ftw
19-06-2014, 09:48 PM
We thought we had a ready made one in Cordy. Let's hope he works out.

Maybe not so ready made, Ayce was a borderline goal post when he got to the club :P but yeah I thought we had a good one there. Some nice signs this year though.

Jayden Foster I hope proves this comment wrong!! I hope like hell anyway!! :)
Fosters looking alright isn't he, haven't seen him play too much but from what I've read he just sounds perfect for what were looking for. Really excited to watch him play next year if we do pick him up, which I think we will.

doggies ftw
30-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Cmon guys, spill the beans :p

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Cmon guys, spill the beans :p

We can't, mate, they're Mission Beans and we can't go upsetting the sponsor.

Dry Rot
01-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Is this a rumour file? Anyone listen to the ABC radio pre-game for the Dees game?

Seems Boyd isn't real happy with his opportunities at the Giants and wants out.

Mumford, Patton and Boyd don't really fit into one side.

boydogs
01-07-2014, 12:56 AM
Is this a rumour file? Anyone listen to the ABC radio pre-game for the Dees game?

Gees, first season as a monster forward and he expects game time? They've given him a taste twice, not sure anyone else would have done much more

Twodogs
01-07-2014, 01:10 AM
Gees, first season as a monster forward and he expects game time? They've given him a taste twice, not sure anyone else would have done much more

He is interstate from his family and friends though. Maybe the lack of opportunity wouldn't be as bad if he was in Victoria?

Twodogs
01-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Well there I forgot all about Matty Robins having been at Geelong. He trumps Peter Street, but he was traded in 97 so I am exonerated because it is outside the 15 years.

I see where the confusion lies. I was counting from when Big Sexy retired. :cool:

craigsahibee
01-07-2014, 03:31 PM

Let's reunite him with his old Eastern Rangers mate Mitch Honeychurch.

Package Jones, Grant and our first 2 picks for Boyd and Jaaksch (? spelling)

Remi Moses
02-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Add McCarthy and Cameron and you have a problem.
Patton would be just perfect.

doggies ftw
03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
We should absolutely be going hard at Boyd, if not this year, next year when he's coming out of contract. He just makes perfect sense. Patton is already pretty much a lock at GWS as the FF imo, Cameron is a gun and with those two there I just cannot see how Boyd fits. and then theres also Giles/McCarthy/Jaksch/Tomlinson/insert other 50 good talls GWS have on their list etc.

Boyd is a gun, he's grown up always being the best (and from what I've heard he's a pretty arrogant guy, thats a good thing though IMO and of course he's had the form to back it up) do you really think he'd be happy playing third fiddle behind Patton and Cameron, and he'd have to spend large chunks of time in the ruck playing that role too. I just don't think it suits him, he is your gun FF.

We can offer him the number one spot at FF, in an up and coming team he can build with (and lets face it, there is a LOT of people who rate our list very highly going forward), in his home state and on a larger contract than GWS could afford to pay him (considering how much they are going to have to pay the rest of their list). We'd just have to convince GWS to do it and while he won't come cheap, it would be worth it and most importantly I think GWS would be interested at the right price.

I get the feeling they wouldn't want to trade this year when his value is lowish (compared to his potential anyway, would still cost a lot) but if he absolutely wants out and they just expect him to be toiling away in the 2s next year they would be better off going now before his trade value drops and he comes out of contract.

ledge
03-07-2014, 06:54 PM
The other forwards will go before he does ,why would they trade the best one ?

doggies ftw
03-07-2014, 07:03 PM
The other forwards will go before he does ,why would they trade the best one ?

Because he's not the best one, Cameron is and most likely always will be and Patton has the runs on the board with probably the same amount of potential. They've already been trying to develop Boyd in the ruck in the twos and I think the only chance of him fitting into that GWS side is as a 3rd fiddle to Patton/Cameron and being the 2nd ruck as well. Which I don't think he suits or that he would even like that.

Sure theyd rather keep him than rest of the talls (McCarthy/Tomlinson etc) but not if he wants out or costs too much. Guys like Tomlinson fit better in alongside the other two as well.

It just makes sense for both clubs, GWS will get high picks which was obviously their plan in drafting so many forwards and they will still have Patton/Cameron and we get the KPF we want.

ledge
03-07-2014, 07:41 PM
From your first post it came accross as he is the best one. Patton has had injuries and im not 100% sure on his body, I would trade him before Boyd if I was going to trade any of the big three.
That's a personal opinion though

Mofra
04-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Because he's not the best one, Cameron is and most likely always will be and Patton has the runs on the board with probably the same amount of potential. They've already been trying to develop Boyd in the ruck in the twos and I think the only chance of him fitting into that GWS side is as a 3rd fiddle to Patton/Cameron and being the 2nd ruck as well. Which I don't think he suits or that he would even like that.
A lot of teams play 3 talls, two genuine KPPs and a forward/ruck.

I'd expect Patton & Cameron to play as the two main talls, with the last spot being filled by Boyd or Giles

bulldogsthru&thru
04-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Boyd is going to become the 2014 version of Patton. Has he been spotted at the club yet? I just dont see it happening

lemmon
04-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Would go super hard at Boyd, throw money and opportunity at the kid while offering GWS pick 5 and JJ...would get them thinking at least.

1eyedog
04-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with McCarthy - Nick Riewoldt mold what a great mark this kid is. I am almost certain that they selected him as collateral if one of the others goes down and / or he was best available and will be used as trade bait to secure a player they need from the likes of us.

The Underdog
04-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Would go super hard at Boyd, throw money and opportunity at the kid while offering GWS pick 5 and JJ...would get them thinking at least.

It's so rare for players to leave a team one year after being drafted though. I just can't really see it coming off. I'd certainly have a crack but I don't think it's super realistic. Also not sure how appetising early draft picks are for GWS at this point.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-07-2014, 05:00 PM
It's so rare for players to leave a team one year after being drafted though. I just can't really see it coming off. I'd certainly have a crack but I don't think it's super realistic. Also not sure how appetising early draft picks are for GWS at this point.

yes its strange that they would trade last year's high draft pick for another high draft pick? what are they trying to achieve here

chef
04-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Why would they want I guy who can't even get a go in our team?

Pick 5 and a Libba/Dahl/Bonti is more realistic

I'd rather keep our picks and kids and keep drafting.

lemmon
04-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Working off the assumption that he requests out. If he doesn't want to stay I cant imagine GWS wouldn't consider a deal in the risk he walks into the draft when his contract lapses.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2014, 10:07 PM
John Butcher to Dogs.

GVGjr
04-07-2014, 11:27 PM
John Butcher to Dogs.

Is this something that is being speculated or are you offering the name up for discussion?

bulldogtragic
04-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Is this something that is being speculated or are you offering the name up for discussion?

Tall forward, not in the best 22 at their club ATM, going on every journo or rumour peddler for the last 20 years it must be like sun after night that we must be linked to him. Speculation, rumour, discussion... All of the above.

Twodogs
05-07-2014, 12:28 AM
Hang on BT, now I'm confused. Have you heard this Butcher rumour or are you speculating?

We know who he is, he kicked a bag against us last year or the year before but we still won. Jammy bastard was kicking goals out of his arse.

Twodogs
05-07-2014, 12:28 AM
Or read it somewhere.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2014, 12:38 AM
Or read it somewhere.

Pure speculation my friend. In about 6 weeks every editor will get their journo's to write an article a day about an opposition tall forward being linked to the dogs because we don't have a KPF... Happens like clock work every year, for once I wanted to get in first and Butcher was the first name I thought of. Could have easily been Vickery, but wasn't. Not a real rumour, but a rumour, started by me with no basis whatsoever.

Twodogs
05-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Pure speculation my friend. In about 6 weeks every editor will get their journo's to write an article a day about an opposition tall forward being linked to the dogs because we don't have a KPF... Happens like clock work every year, for once I wanted to get in first and Butcher was the first name I thought of. Could have easily been Vickery, but wasn't. Not a real rumour, but a rumour, started by me with no basis whatsoever.

So just a Robbo tempter then?

bulldogtragic
05-07-2014, 12:05 PM
So just a Robbo tempter then?

Robbo... Can you equally love and not love something at the same time? I love 360, it just works perfectly, but Robinson....

jeemak
05-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Robbo... Can you equally love and not love something at the same time? I love 360, it just works perfectly, but Robinson....

I saw him drawing down on a fag outside Docklands last night as I was walking in to the ground. Man, that thing was shown no mercy at all in a brutal display and Robbo's a pretty big bastard.

John Butcher was a player I identified earlier this year as being a bit of a mystery as I don't follow much of Port. What's his SANFL form like, surely if he was in good enough nick he'd be getting a game.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Jarrad Waite anyone? When he's on song, not a bad player.

jeemak
05-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Jarrad Waite anyone? When he's on song, not a bad player.

Absolutely not.

This is his cycle - average game, average game, better game, good game, injured, miss two weeks, average game, better game, reported, miss two weeks. Repeat.

His age profile is all wrong as well.

Rocco Jones
05-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Absolutely not.

This is his cycle - average game, average game, better game, good game, injured, miss two weeks, average game, better game, reported, miss two weeks. Repeat.

His age profile is all wrong as well.

Great work. That's one of the most accurate biographies I have ever read.

always right
05-07-2014, 01:08 PM

He writes well but I can't stand listening to him or watching him. Everyone's mate.:rolleyes:

soupman
05-07-2014, 02:41 PM
From memory isn't John Butcher a strong mark poor kick who isn't best 22? Basically an inferior Sam Reid who is a better Liam Jones?

Butcher would cost too much and while unlike Jones he is having to compete with decent key forwards in a decent side being a worse player than other guys in your position is no guarantee of being a good player, eg. Callan, Prismall etc.

Happy Days
05-07-2014, 02:46 PM
From memory isn't John Butcher a strong mark poor kick who isn't best 22? Basically an inferior Sam Reid who is a better Liam Jones?

Butcher would cost too much and while unlike Jones he is having to compete with decent key forwards in a decent side being a worse player than other guys in your position is no guarantee of being a good player, eg. Callan, Prismall etc.

I don't know how Butcher is still on an AFL list. Well I do (he's tall) but it's stupid.

Can't catch, terrible kick, average athleticism, bad hair; we'd pay overs for him too. No way.

boydogs
05-07-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't know how Butcher is still on an AFL list. Well I do (he's tall) but it's stupid.

Can't catch, terrible kick, average athleticism, bad hair; we'd pay overs for him too. No way.

Only turned 23 on Thursday

w3design
05-07-2014, 06:12 PM
One rumour i did hear was the Hawks are into Higgins big time and now he has put of contract talks off i think he is gone.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2014, 09:09 PM
One rumour i did hear was the Hawks are into Higgins big time and now he has put of contract talks off i think he is gone.

Then I hope he plays out of his skin to get a monster offer and gift us pick 5 and 6 again. We did well from that combo of picks last time.

chef
05-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Is unrestricted or restricted?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Is unrestricted or restricted?
Restricted. Higgins, and Mackay from Adelaide are the only restricted FAs left.

Hotdog60
05-07-2014, 10:42 PM
To honest providing we don't get bent over I wouldn't be overly concerned if he wanted to go.

Throughandthrough
05-07-2014, 10:53 PM

wrong. He's much worse than that. Is having a dreadful year in the SANFL, if the opposition can get a half decent player on him he can't get close. And when he does he kicks it out of bounds on the full.

Remi Moses
06-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Butcher kicks the ball like one of those American scholarship players .
Draft for Mids, and trade or F/A for talls.
The clubs been down this way worn path before, and I need not run through the star studded list.

Mofra
06-07-2014, 12:11 PM

And to think on BF some wanted us to trade picks 5 & 6 for him (Macrae & Stringer)

Twodogs
06-07-2014, 01:29 PM
And he's got an appalling beard.

jeemak
06-07-2014, 01:44 PM
I'll be extremely pissed if we lose Higgins.

Firstly, we've put up with years of less than acceptable output waiting for him to get his body right. Secondly, we need all of the creative players we can get. We can't afford to lose him.

lemmon
06-07-2014, 01:45 PM
I'll be extremely pissed if we lose Higgins.

Firstly, we've put up with years of less than acceptable output waiting for him to get his body right. Secondly, we need all of the creative players we can get. We can't afford to lose him.

Fully agree, would seriously burn to lose him. I've loved the year he's had, finally over injury and has grown in the areas we've all criticised him for.

Twodogs
06-07-2014, 02:13 PM
On the other hand his trade value is higher now than it's been since he was a teenager.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-07-2014, 04:00 PM
It would be a slap in the face given we have stuck by Higgins through a relatively lean career to date, but having said that, if we were able to get another top 10 pick for him we'd be absolutely laughing. I couldn't take that deal quick enough.

More realistically he'd be the second round compensation though.

jeemak
06-07-2014, 04:24 PM
If we were going to attract a decent KPF/KPD during the trade period we'd need that second top ten pick.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2014, 04:30 PM
It would be a slap in the face given we have stuck by Higgins through a relatively lean career to date, but having said that, if we were able to get another top 10 pick for him we'd be absolutely laughing. I couldn't take that deal quick enough.

More realistically he'd be the second round compensation though.

Yep. Higgins would need at least 3 years, $500+ a year to be close to pick 6, and that's a no brainer. Although Pick 24 would be good if we could find another trade to trade into the late 1st round, and give us $600,000+ to put in front of Patton.

Us: Patton (on big coin) & Pick 16 (Higgins FA compo pick 24, plus trade **** to a premiership contender so the pick drops to 16) for, them: Pick 5 and another non elite player of ours. GWS can on trade 5 for whatever they want, elite mature midfielder and with salary cap relief could nab Frawley to address their Full Back position if they want too.

I'd prefer we keep Higgins, but it does create an opportunity to explore a range of options.

Happy Days
06-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Only turned 23 on Thursday

Did he get a new pair of hands for his birthday or something?

comrade
06-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Speaking of Higgins, I was disappointed with his defensive efforts and all round game today. Just a lack of care and intensity one on one, really cost us at times. Didn't get enough of it in space either which suggests his work rate was down.

Had his colours lowered tonight.

boydogs
06-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Did he get a new pair of hands for his birthday or something?

Just noting that a 197cm key forward usually has his best days ahead of him at his age

The Bulldogs Bite
06-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Speaking of Higgins, I was disappointed with his defensive efforts and all round game today. Just a lack of care and intensity one on one, really cost us at times. Didn't get enough of it in space either which suggests his work rate was down.

Yep he was very poor.

Jasper
06-07-2014, 10:35 PM
From a mate but Higgins is very likely to stay. Im not sure there is any interest from Hawthorn.

Hotdog60
06-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Here's one, tonight Dwayne Russell said that Collingwood are after Libba. I think we have him tied up until 2016 but not sure.
I hope he's talking though his arse like he usually does.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Here's one, tonight Dwayne Russell said that Collingwood are after Libba. I think we have him tied up until 2016 but not sure.
I hope he's talking though his arse like he usually does.

What a knob. It doesn't deserve a proper response it's that inane.

Bulldog Joe
06-07-2014, 11:05 PM

Perhaps a bit harsh. More than once he competed effectively against bigger guys.
I was a little concerned about his condition today. His first kick was a dreadful shank and looked to me like someone who had started with a pain killing injection to just get out there.
Just an observation.

Axe Man
22-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Melbourne star Dom Tyson says greater opportunities await of GWS players move away (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-star-dom-tyson-says-greater-opportunities-await-of-gws-players-move-away/story-fndv8pdq-1226996566727)

An interesting snippet from the article:

A handful of Giants are coming out of contract with Carlton and the Western Bulldogs linked to swingman Kristian Jaksch and several clubs led by Richmond and Melbourne keen on powerful midfielder Dylan Shiel.

Dancin' Douggy
22-07-2014, 11:35 AM
This is my favourite thread. Whenever it pops up I have a little internal..'ooh baby'.
I don't think we can stuff around any longer. We need to target that big key forward, and not an old washed up, bargain. (PLEASE NOT WAITE)
We need to get one to grow up with our current crop.

Murphy'sLore
22-07-2014, 11:37 AM
My husband keeps arguing for Waite, and I keep saying, no way.

Axe Man
22-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Waite will be 32 before the start of next season. Maybe if we were challenging for a flag next year you would go there, but in no way does he fit where we are as a club at the moment.

Dancin' Douggy
22-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Surely Waite would not pass BMac's 'solid citizen' test. Waite is an A grade d$#%head.

jeemak
22-07-2014, 11:52 AM

Really? On what basis?

Greystache
22-07-2014, 12:02 PM

You're never a truly washed up key forward until you have Bulldog supporters demanding their club picks you up.

always right
22-07-2014, 12:20 PM
You're never a truly washed up key forward until you have Bulldog supporters demanding their club picks you up.

He's not even a key forward in the truest sense.

EasternWest
22-07-2014, 12:23 PM
He's not even a key forward in the truest sense.

He's not really even a good player in any sense.

Murphy'sLore
22-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Really? On what basis?

On what basis why, or why not? I say he's too old.

ledge
22-07-2014, 01:27 PM
His age doesn't favour him

soupman
22-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Surely Waite would not pass BMac's 'solid citizen' test. Waite is an A grade d$#%head.

I think he is right up there in the top echelon of dickheads in the entire comp, with illustrious company like Taylor Adams and Toby Greene. And aside from 1.5 games a season he isn't even good.

Throughandthrough
22-07-2014, 04:04 PM
In today's advertiser they link John Butcher to the Dogs. Butcher is having a terrible year in the SANFL, and isnt a scratch on Jones in my opinion

LostDoggy
22-07-2014, 04:32 PM
In today's advertiser they link John Butcher to the Dogs. Butcher is having a terrible year in the SANFL, and isnt a scratch on Jones in my opinion

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-goalkicking-champion-matthew-lloyd-could-save-port-adelaide-forward-john-butchers-career/story-fnia3nqh-1226996475284?nk=540f68baf00afc1472bed8530f945a74

If he came for basically nothing, and, per the article, spent an extended time having his kicking broken down and rebuilt he 'could'
be worth it, but to be honest, surely this would have occured by now at Port?

chef
22-07-2014, 04:35 PM
He's worth the gamble if he's going to cost nothing but a late pick or rookie spot.

jeemak
22-07-2014, 04:49 PM
On what basis why, or why not? I say he's too old.

Why would we?

I think you're right on the age component. I also think he's been a bit of a waste of talent due to his inability to refrain from being suspended either having just come back from injury or just when running into some form.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-07-2014, 05:23 PM
I'm sick of picking up other clubs rejects in the hope that they make a miraculous turn around.

Do not want Butcher.

Greystache
22-07-2014, 05:23 PM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-goalkicking-champion-matthew-lloyd-could-save-port-adelaide-forward-john-butchers-career/story-fnia3nqh-1226996475284?nk=540f68baf00afc1472bed8530f945a74

If he came for basically nothing, and, per the article, spent an extended time having his kicking broken down and rebuilt he 'could'
be worth it, but to be honest, surely this would have occured by now at Port?

Wasn't one of the criticisms of him (along with his horrendous kicking) that he won't listen to his coaches and can't be told anything. I wouldn't want a player with a massive flaw that also isn't prepared to try to fix it.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2014, 05:43 PM

I can't believe this rumour I started 3 weeks ago has taken off like wildfire. Another scarily accurate insight. For my next completely made up rumour for the media to take up... John Patton is believed to told he wants out of GWS at years end and has nominated the dogs which should be done early with our pick 5, a player and smooth FA negotiations for Higgins to GWS said to be on the table from our end.

LostDoggy
22-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Wasn't one of the criticisms of him (along with his horrendous kicking) that he won't listen to his coaches and can't be told anything. I wouldn't want a player with a massive flaw that also isn't prepared to try to fix it.

Could be, and most likely is. Per your last line, no improvement in 4 or 5 years since being drafted would suggest he's lacking application. Try not to judge a book by it's cover, but he has a very laconic strut about him, and last year/this year looked like he should have been living in a cave.

Greystache
22-07-2014, 05:49 PM
I can't believe this rumour I started 3 weeks ago has taken off like wildfire. Another scarily accurate insight. For my next completely made up rumour for the media to take up... John Patton is believed to told he wants out of GWS at years end and has nominated the dogs which should be done early with our pick 5, a player and smooth FA negotiations for Higgins to GWS said to be on the table from our end.

I've heard a similar rumour coming out of GWS D'Marquis, I can't remember where I heard it (might be your post directly above), but it sounds like there must be some substance to it. If someone who's as well connected to some of the GWS player's families as you are saying it's a done deal then that's good enough for me.

So now that Patton will be a Dog next year does he play alongside Campbell up forward and we start looking to trial Jones at CHB?

Greystache
22-07-2014, 05:51 PM
I've heard a similar rumour coming out of GWS D'Marquis, I can't remember where I heard it (might be your post directly above), but it sounds like there must be some substance to it. If someone who's as well connected to some of the GWS player's families as you are saying it's a done deal then that's good enough for me.

So now that Patton will be a Dog next year does he play alongside Campbell up forward and we start looking to trial Jones at CHB?

I've heard from a good source that we're going to start trialling Jones at CHB and that Matthew Scarlett thinks he's got the potential to be an All Australian defender.

LostDoggy
22-07-2014, 05:53 PM
I've heard from a good source that we're going to start trialling Jones at CHB and that Matthew Scarlett thinks he's got the potential to be an All Australian defender.

BT started this rumour 4 weeks ago, along with Christianity.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2014, 06:11 PM
BT started this rumour 4 weeks ago, along with Christianity.

I think 3AW breakfast speak is the post you referred to is 'rumour is fact', if you know what I mean...

bulldogtragic
22-07-2014, 06:15 PM

My cousins went to school with a certain GWS co-captain right throughout high school as some know. Won't tip them in, but Higgins and that co-captain are best mates, a bond like Wallace and Nat Brown had. The flip side is 'rumour is fact' some big lads looking for an elite midfield to feed them delivery so they can have the best careers possible are paying attention to a certain young midfield brigade to make them champions and premierships players. I think we need to finish the year off well and I think we might be looking at a great pre-season.

As for Jones, i've heard murmurs about Scarlett is keen to work with him. This week's killing down back makes the case stronger.

Daughter of the West
22-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Well, according to my husband's uncle's partner's cousin's next-door-neighbour's hairdresser's dog, Patton to the Kennel is a sure thing. Get that media?

w3design
22-07-2014, 06:29 PM
cheer up, in a rumour thread, substance is not required, be creative, a Good Source is good enough for me.

Twodogs
22-07-2014, 06:38 PM
My cousins went to school with a certain GWS co-captain right throughout high school as some know. Won't tip them in, but Higgins and that co-captain are best mates, a bond like Wallace and Nat Brown had. The flip side is 'rumour is fact' some big lads looking for an elite midfield to feed them delivery so they can have the best careers possible are paying attention to a certain young midfield brigade to make them champions and premierships players. I think we need to finish the year off well and I think we might be looking at a great pre-season.

As for Jones, i've heard murmurs about Scarlett is keen to work with him. This week's killing down back makes the case stronger.

I went to school with a certain co-captain's mother. Her dad was Billy Gunn the South Melbourne player. The co-captain has good footy genes on both sides. His dad Greg was a good player in some good VFA teams.

Twodogs
22-07-2014, 06:45 PM

That is literally unbefuddlinglievable.

I won't believe it until he's seen having a coffee at the Pound.

Greystache
22-07-2014, 07:17 PM
That is literally unbefuddlinglievable.

I won't believe it until he's seen having a coffee at the Pound.

I heard from a barista who works at a coffee shop in a football ground in Footscray that Patton was seen having coffee with BMac, Peter Gordon, and Bonti this afternoon. Bonti even signed a poster of himself for big Jon.

comrade
22-07-2014, 07:17 PM
I am not ashamed to admit I would cry tears of joy if we could snare Patton.

Jones to CHB sounds good, too.

Damn, these rumour mill threads.

GVGjr
22-07-2014, 07:19 PM

If he is anything like that he won't get through our screening. It's only speculation that links the Dogs with Butcher anyway

josie
22-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Well, according to my husband's uncle's partner's cousin's next-door-neighbour's hairdresser's dog, Patton to the Kennel is a sure thing. Get that media?

Oooh - I'll take this as fact then!! "General Patton" has such a lovely ring to it.

Also 10 out of 10 for using possessives so well. And may I guess that the subject dog's name (seeing as he is owned by a hairdresser) is Fido, with correct spelling PHIDEAUX.

WOOF WOOF.

Throughandthrough
22-07-2014, 08:00 PM
I heard from a barista who works at a coffee shop in a football ground in Footscray that Patton was seen having coffee with BMac, Peter Gordon, and Bonti this afternoon. Bonti even signed a poster of himself for big Jon.

As a lawyer Peter Gordon would deal with barristers all the time. So it must be true.

Twodogs
22-07-2014, 08:19 PM
As a lawyer Peter Gordon would deal with barristers all the time. So it must be true.

PG is a barrister so he'd make a lovey cup of coffee.

lemmon
22-07-2014, 08:30 PM
I think he is right up there in the top echelon of dickheads in the entire comp, with illustrious company like Taylor Adams and Toby Greene. And aside from 1.5 games a season he isn't even good.

Thought I'd share my Waite experience to even things up, we had a fairly sick young Carlton supporter down at the local junior footy club a few years back. Waite was good enough to come down to give him a cheer up, ended up staying for over an hour and ran training for the ill lad's team. Sounds capable of passing the dickhead test to me.

Dancin' Douggy
22-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Thought I'd share my Waite experience to even things up, we had a fairly sick young Carlton supporter down at the local junior footy club a few years back. Waite was good enough to come down to give him a cheer up, ended up staying for over an hour and ran training for the ill lad's team. Sounds capable of passing the dickhead test to me.

I dickhead ON the field though. Might be the nicest guy in the world but gee he's a complete tool once he runs on to a footy ground

Go_Dogs
22-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Haha, that's awesome. Well played sir.

KT31
23-07-2014, 10:20 AM

Would be funny if it wasn't so true.

Mofra
23-07-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm sick of picking up other clubs rejects in the hope that they make a miraculous turn around.

Do not want Butcher.
If it's for nothing and he's adjudged best available at pick 249 or whatever our last pick is, then I'm comfortable with it.

We've made massive inroads to the kicking of both Smith & Talia and the partnership with VU completely changed Wood's running style in a single pre-season. For a late pick there are worse chances.

ReLoad
23-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Was at a function last night and spoke to Daniel Cross and his wife, They were deeply upset to leave the dogs, but have moved on, Daniel will play on with the Dees next year then move into football fitness, he has no desire to coach.

As always Crossy is the consummate professional and a hell of a nice guy.

The same cannot be said for Hamish Mclachlan the Channel 7 tool, He is straight to the top of the biggest flogs ever in the history of flogs. Saw a little kid (maybe 6 or 7) say to him "Ive seen you on the Telly" he eyeballed the kid for about 5 seconds without saying anything and then turned around to talk some of his friends.

soupman
23-07-2014, 03:44 PM
The same cannot be said for Hamish Mclachlan the Channel 7 tool, He is straight to the top of the biggest flogs ever in the history of flogs. Saw a little kid (maybe 6 or 7) say to him "Ive seen you on the Telly" he eyeballed the kid for about 5 seconds without saying anything and then turned around to talk some of his friends.

Not surprising in the slightest. There is a thread on a certain other forum where it is discovered and proved that Hamish has spent a lot of time filling in his own Wikipedia article in as wanky a fashion as possible under the username "rompingwins".

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Hamish does come across as an extremely self-absorbed flog.

Twodogs
23-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Is Hamish the host of the Sunday morning footy show on C7?

I met him somewhere and he seemed OK. I only spoke with him for a couple of minutes though.

azabob
23-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Is Hamish the host of the Sunday morning footy show on C7?

I met him somewhere and he seemed OK. I only spoke with him for a couple of minutes though.

No, that's his brother Gil (Channel 7 run the AFL, right?).

Greystache
23-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Perhaps the 6 year old could have given Hamish some tips on business, given the ineptitude he's shown during his ill fated pursuits. In particular the collapse of the AFL Hall before it even opened it's doors.

Twodogs
23-07-2014, 07:55 PM
He's gonna be be the Billy Carter of this administration maybe.

jeemak
23-07-2014, 08:46 PM
He's gonna be be the Billy Carter of this administration maybe.

Hahaha, Billy Carter indeed.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Didn't know where to put this, but seeing as it may potentially impact on our trading options I thought I'd put it here.
Has anyone heard the rumour about Jeremy Cameron to the Saints for pick 1 and Armitage?
Seems like massive unders for a guy of Cameron's ability and would also mean that the Saints would have to ensure they lost their remaining 4 games from here on in.
If they did get him though it would be a massive coup and would make it almost impossible fir us to prise a Patton or Jaksch from GWS.

Maddog37
05-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Seems like an unlikely scenario to me.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Pick 4 or 5 of ours and a better player is just as likely. If Cameron is gettable, we need to be thinking very seriously about what he could do to our club.

Bulldog4life
05-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Pick 4 or 5 of ours and a better player is just as likely. If Cameron is gettable, we need to be thinking very seriously about what he could do to our club.

Been reported if Frawley leaves Melbourne they will most likely get the compensation pick immediately after their first round pick. We might get pick 6 or 7.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-08-2014, 06:42 PM
The rumour was that pick 1 would allow GWS to then get Petracca whom is increasingly being touted as a candidate for the number 1 pick.
I just don't get why GWS would settle for Armitage, a slow mid with average disposal. At a minimum I would've thought pick 1 plus Jack Steven would be closer to what GWS would want.

ledge
05-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Waite only offered one year deal at Carlton... Interesting wouldn't cost much and has very good hands, age might be against him though.

Mofra
05-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Waite only offered one year deal at Carlton... Interesting wouldn't cost much and has very good hands, age might be against him though.
For the love of god no.

32 year old who is still inconsistent

bulldogtragic
05-08-2014, 09:44 PM
For the love of god no.

Is that no, or just no with pick 5 in the National Draft?

Greystache
05-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Is that no, or just no with pick 5 in the National Draft?

I'd expect a sweetener in return, maybe a swap of 4th and 5th round picks. :D

bulldogtragic
05-08-2014, 10:05 PM
I'd expect a sweetener in return, maybe a swap of 4th and 5th round picks. :D

The ghost of Peter Rhode at the WO is typing the forms up as we speak. :)

Topdog
06-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Been reported if Frawley leaves Melbourne they will most likely get the compensation pick immediately after their first round pick. We might get pick 6 or 7.

Surely not? That would be over compensating them IMO esp. compared to other compensations given.

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Surely not? That would be over compensating them IMO esp. compared to other compensations given.

If someone pays Frawley 600-700+ for 5 years unfortuantely it looks like they will get first round compo. Which pushes our pick back.

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 10:27 AM
If someone pays Frawley 600-700+ for 5 years unfortuantely it looks like they will get first round compo. Which pushes our pick back.

We got first round compo for Ward who left on a similar deal. We got Macrae with that and Port who was pushed back ended up with Ollie Wines, the draft is a strange beast!

Mofra
06-08-2014, 12:06 PM
We got first round compo for Ward who left on a similar deal. We got Macrae with that and Port who was pushed back ended up with Ollie Wines, the draft is a strange beast!
Different systems - the free agency system is not the same as the expansion club contract system.

Greystache
06-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Different systems - the free agency system is not the same as the expansion club contract system.

Exactly. Frawley is a free agent because Melbourne tried to work the system (front loading contracts etc.) Ward and Scully were young players not even into their peak who were poached for big money... And one of them was a good player!

EasternWest
06-08-2014, 01:44 PM
For the love of god no.

Shit. The word you're looking for is shit.

No thanks.

Dancin' Douggy
06-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Shit. The word you're looking for is shit.

No thanks.

The other word you're looking for is dickhead.

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Will be interesting how they select the compensation picks this year.

Last year Thomas and Franklin were worthy of first round compo.

Sylvia and Dal Santo were deemed worthy of second round compo. (no idea how Melb got a second rounder for Sylvia)

Wouldn't suprise me at all if Frawley netted Melbourne a first round compo pick.

Hopefully Melbourne pick up a free agent themselves. Then they may end up like Carlton last year and recieve no Compo pick. As it was effectively In Thomas Out Betts.

Mofra
06-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Contract size & length is the primary consideration - Freo must have overpaid for Sylvia

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Yes different circumstances, but the AFL are looking at FA compo in nearly the exact same way as expansion club compo, there is a lot of correlation. You're right though, can't see a FA will never draw 2 compo picks like Gazza or Sulky.

As for Sylvia being worthy of a second rounder, no way! Bu some may say the same about S. Higgins soon enough!

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Yes different circumstances, but the AFL are looking at FA compo in nearly the exact same way as expansion club compo, there is a lot of correlation. You're right though, can't see a FA will never draw 2 compo picks like Gazza or Sulky.
As for Sylvia being worthy of a second rounder, no way! Bu some may say the same about S. Higgins soon enough!

Considering Franklins contract length and salary didn't result in 2 first round picks...Won't ever happen!

lemmon
06-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Any interest in Nick Malceski? Apparently on the move with the Swans blessings based on pay. A 29 year old who brings exactly what we need in terms of foot skills and ball movement, seems like a fairly solid citizen as well. Would plug that half back hole for 3 or 4 years

The Doctor
06-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Any interest in Nick Malceski? Apparently on the move with the Swans blessings based on pay. A 29 year old who brings exactly what we need in terms of foot skills and ball movement, seems like a fairly solid citizen as well. Would plug that half back hole for 3 or 4 years

definately, especially if Higgins goes.

Not sure how that might affect FA compo though

bornadog
06-08-2014, 06:21 PM

No one over 27 please

lemmon
06-08-2014, 06:26 PM
definately, especially if Higgins goes.

Not sure how that might affect FA compo though
I imagine the deal required would effectively wipe any compo we get for Shaun. If it was at the trade table and we were offered a straight swap of Higgins for Malceski I'd run for the hills cackling maniacally. I'd have no problems losing what I imagine would be a pick in the 30-40 range.

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 06:32 PM
and he'd also take the spot of a young players development for a few seasons. Great user but this is a premiership tilt signing, not where we're at.

Maddog37
06-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Has had a couple of knee recos using lars too which would need to be factored in.

The Doctor
06-08-2014, 07:35 PM
and he'd also take the spot of a young players development for a few seasons. Great user but this is a premiership tilt signing, not where we're at.

The difference being he is a dual premiership player and brings that skill and knowledge of what is required for premiership success to the club. This kind of stuff would be invaluable. We will also lose Murphy soon so an experienced player of this ilk will help no end.

lemmon
06-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Has had a couple of knee recos using lars too which would need to be factored in.
That would be my concern, realistically you'd want at least 3 if not 4 years out of him. He's been durable as of late but you do wonder how much footy he has left in his body. Our ladder position and ambitions should be changing fairly rapidly over the next few seasons, if Maleceski still has footy in him it's a nice little piece of the puzzle with his experience and skill set.

boydogs
06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Malceski would be worth more to others than to us. Best medium defender in the league but too old for our window

Sedat
06-08-2014, 09:59 PM
The difference being he is a dual premiership player and brings that skill and knowledge of what is required for premiership success to the club. This kind of stuff would be invaluable. We will also lose Murphy soon so an experienced player of this ilk will help no end.
I'm a massive Malceski fan but the big problem I have with him is 4 knee recos. In between knee injuries he has been a fantastic player but at his age one more serious injury would realistically be curtains.

soupman
07-08-2014, 08:26 AM
I'm a massive Malceski fan but the big problem I have with him is 4 knee recos. In between knee injuries he has been a fantastic player but at his age one more serious injury would realistically be curtains.

But don't forget he does have a beard so that has to be taken into consideration.

Remi Moses
07-08-2014, 02:05 PM
No thanks. By the time we're half decent Malcheski will be retired,and we'll again be hunting for a rebounding good kicking half back.
The draft or someone younger, and the same for Waite(who has been talked up on here)

Bulldog Revolution
07-08-2014, 02:22 PM
No one over 27 please

Yep agreed - hes too old to be of use to us

Id sooner we try and shake someone like Kieran Harper or Thomas Bugg loose - a young player who might put it together with a change of scenery

Happy Days
07-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Yep agreed - hes too old to be of use to us

Id sooner we try and shake someone like Kieran Harper or Thomas Bugg loose - a young player who might put it together with a change of scenery

Harper is terrible and Bugg is the most annoying little shit of a player in the league.

So Bugg maybe.

lemmon
07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Harper is terrible and Bugg is the most annoying little shit of a player in the league.

So Bugg maybe.
If we are talking about half backs does Bugg do enough going the other way? Just shows how well Port did snagging Hombsch when they did, would fit in beautifully with us.

Bulldog Revolution
07-08-2014, 09:20 PM

So Bugg maybe.

Harper is quick and skilful but goes missing a bit, I actually haven't seen Bugg much, liked what I did see early, but he hasn't kicked on the way I thought he might.

It wasn't so much those two that I was saying were perfect for us, but there the types I have a go at - young guys who show promise but haven't put it together in there current environment

The Bulldogs Bite
07-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Harper looked like a very, very likely type a year or two ago. He's fallen off the map a bit.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-08-2014, 10:49 PM
According to Purple on TFS, Levi Casboult has knocked back Carlton's first contract offer.

Is he worth going after?

I'd have said no at the beginning of the year, but he has improved. Big lad, crashes packs and has extremely good hands. Kicking still suspect.

IIRC we were interested in him 2 years ago.

lemmon
07-08-2014, 10:59 PM
According to Purple on TFS, Levi Casboult has knocked back Carlton's first contract offer.

Is he worth going after?

I'd have said no at the beginning of the year, but he has improved. Big lad, crashes packs and has extremely good hands. Kicking still suspect.

Would absolutely love him, think I mentioned early he was one of the blokes I'd love to target. Fits our needs perfectly and I think his kicking has shown improvement already this year

Twodogs
08-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Has Casboult played in defence at all?

He's improved a fair bit over the year or so.

lemmon
08-08-2014, 01:53 AM
Has Casboult played in defence at all?

He's improved a fair bit over the year or so.

Not from what I've seen, not sure he'd have the wheels. Mostly key forward/second ruck. Looks an ideal get out long kick/pack buster who will chop out Minno and eventually Cordy.

G-Mo77
08-08-2014, 02:48 AM

Is he worth going after?

Yep and a lot were pretty annoyed about it as well. I'd love to have a crack at him.

Topdog
08-08-2014, 04:39 AM
Who is Purple?

Twodogs
08-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Who is Purple?

Damien Barrett I think.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Is Casboult too similar to Cambpell?

Twodogs
08-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Not from what I've seen, not sure he'd have the wheels. Mostly key forward/second ruck. Looks an ideal get out long kick/pack buster who will chop out Minno and eventually Cordy.

Cheers Lem.

1eyedog
08-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Is Casboult too similar to Cambpell?

I was thinking more Dawes and 90% on this forum said no way.

Scorlibo
08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Would absolutely love him, think I mentioned early he was one of the blokes I'd love to target. Fits our needs perfectly and I think his kicking has shown improvement already this year

Agree, he's exactly the type that we need up forward.

mighty_west
08-08-2014, 11:11 AM

I was thinking Dawes too, big lug with good hands but dodgy set shot for goal who goes missing a lot in games who'll most likely cost us our second round pick.

1eyedog
08-08-2014, 12:42 PM
I was thinking Dawes too, big lug with good hands but dodgy set shot for goal who goes missing a lot in games who'll most likely cost us our second round pick.

Casboult is a better mark than Dawes but Dawes is a better kick. Ultimately though Casboult is a short term stop gap and haven't we had enough of them up forward over the past 20 years? Really Casboult is a one trick pony and while it's a good trick his decision making, pace, field kicking, ability when it hits the ground and kicking for goal are all sub-standard. Carlton persist with him because they simply have no one else to play and while he has improved we really need a player who can do more than solely take a mark. Let's target a really good forward rather than a mediocre one who will be on the list for 2-3 years before being de-listed. I'm all for putting the big men at GWS / GCS under the pump to see what surfaces. Would love to get one back on either one of them.

Remi Moses
08-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Similar to Butcher. Remember the carry on when Butcher played a few good games?
He had money thrown at him, and teams were queuing up.

Templeton31
08-08-2014, 06:03 PM
I like the sound of Casboult but really wouldn't he be just like White or Lynch at collingwood - they play a few good games, enough to give them currency at trade time but then when you look at them for the whole season they are just ordinary. Dawes isn't that much better realistically.

boydogs
08-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Carlton persist with him because they simply have no one else to play and while he has improved we really need a player who can do more than solely take a mark.

I think Carlton would be looking for an upgrade on Casboult, which tells us everything we need to know

Remi Moses
08-08-2014, 09:29 PM

Dawes couldn't get near it for a few years there, and when he did he looked like Edward scissor hands.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Dawes couldn't get near it for a few years there, and when he did he looked like Edward scissor hands.
Absolutely, his final 18 months at Collingwood were shite. He's been virtually injured for pretty much his career at Melbourne.

ratsmac
08-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Casbolt for Higgins. Straight swap

Remi Moses
08-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Casbolt for Higgins. Straight swap

Not for me. Prefer the draft pick
The guy can't kick ( we're looking like the desperate bloke at 3AM!

Remi Moses
08-08-2014, 11:58 PM
Absolutely, his final 18 months at Collingwood were shite. He's been virtually injured for pretty much his career at Melbourne.

I'm a tad worried BT that we've put in a bid for Casboult.
Bit like the silly contract we threw at Gumbleton a few years ago!

The Bulldogs Bite
09-08-2014, 12:05 AM
I would be open to Casboult, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Maddog37
09-08-2014, 11:39 AM
I would happily get Casboult. He is improving every year and is aggressive in the contest. Straight swap for Higgins, where do I sign?

F'scary
09-08-2014, 01:34 PM
If we go for Casboult, then we have Jones & Cordy & Casboult & Campbell. Sounds like lots of competition for spots....IN THE RESERVES.

ledge
09-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Casboult has hands that grip the ball Like a vice unlike any of our forwards who double grab.
We need a one grab big body like him, the best Backman would have to go on him releasing blokes like jones and stringer.

LostDoggy
09-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Straight swap Casboult for Higgins. I would do this as long as we have no chance of getting one of the GWS forwards i.e. Cameron/Patton.
I think there is a lot to work with him, his kicking has improved greatly and he is a great pack mark which we need.

Remi Moses
09-08-2014, 04:32 PM
We don't want any fringe players( rightly so)
Yet some are keen on a guy who kicks like a mule.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Jeff Garlett on the outer at Carlton. We could do with his pace, goalkicking and defensive pressure. He's the right age too and would bring genes related to Des hedland, Buddy and Neon Leon.

Remi Moses
09-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Lazy footballer

SlimPickens
09-08-2014, 04:55 PM
We don't want any fringe players( rightly so)
Yet some are keen on a guy who kicks like a mule.

He's an upgrade on Butcher at least:rolleyes:

Dancin' Douggy
09-08-2014, 07:11 PM
I'd look at Garlett for sure. Macca would accept NO nonsense or laziness or nuffin. We really need some electrifying pace.

azabob
09-08-2014, 07:59 PM
I'd look at Garlett for sure. Macca would accept NO nonsense or laziness or nuffin. We really need some electrifying pace.

If he needs to change his behaviour why would we even look at him?

1eyedog
09-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Not for me. Prefer the draft pick
The guy can't kick ( we're looking like the desperate bloke at 3AM!

Good analogy, funny too and oh so accurate. Casboult would be the new whipping boy inside 8 weeks. We definitely have the beer goggles on when it comes to key forwards.

Templeton31
09-08-2014, 08:49 PM
If we go for Casboult, then we have Jones & Cordy & Casboult & Campbell. Sounds like lots of competition for spots....IN THE RESERVES.

LOL..... (and true)

ratsmac
09-08-2014, 10:37 PM
If Higgins wants a new club I would certainly look at Casbolt. I'm not a huge fan of Casbolt because of his kicking, but if we don't end up with a Patton or Reid, Casbolt would be worth a look.
I like the sound of Garlett too. He has some serious speed. I would straight swap Higgins for him too. Not sure if he'll pass the dickhead test though.
How many Higgins straight swaps can we do?

bull79
10-08-2014, 04:44 PM
I would like to see us target Taylor Walker, I believe this kid is something special. If we have a million a year to offer a player then this would be my focus. Thoughts please?

bulldogtragic
10-08-2014, 04:48 PM
I would like to see us target Taylor Walker, I believe this kid is something special. If we have a million a year to offer a player then this would be my focus. Thoughts please?

Signed a 5 year deal just gone. Massive dollars too. Don't think it's a chance.

Edit: my apologies, welcome to WOOF.

GVGjr
10-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Welcome aboard. I don't think Walker is a realistic option and there would be a few hurdles I don't think we can clear.
Just couldn't see the Crows parting with him or him wanting to come to us. As BT said, he already has a long term contract in front of him

ledge
10-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Higgins can stay after today :-)

Scraggers
10-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Casboult yes ... Only so I can sing Rocking the Casboult, Rocking the Casboult (shall be no lying ...)

Otherwise I would prefer we go to the draft or throw the sink at Patton.

Twodogs
10-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Casboult yes ... Only so I can sing Rocking the Casboult, Rocking the Casboult (shall be no lying ...)

Otherwise I would prefer we go to the draft or throw the sink at Patton.

That'd be Rock the Casboult, wouldn't it?

Scraggers
10-08-2014, 07:58 PM
That'd be Rock the Casboult, wouldn't it?

Mis-sung lyrics number 643 by myself ... The more I drink the mor entertaining the lyrics are

comrade
10-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Each week makes me more certain its the defensive end we need to shore up.

Any chance we could pry one of May or Day from Gold Coast?

Remi Moses
10-08-2014, 09:13 PM
I agree the big third and reader of the play is more essential.
Lever or Durdin

Happy Days
11-08-2014, 12:06 PM

I'd be stoked to get May; he's tailed off badly but his first half of the season was excellent, would have walked into the AA team had he kept it up.

We'd have to give up a lot but I'd do it. Not that there's any indication that he wants to leave or anything.

G-Mo77
11-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Yep. We're in real trouble if Dale goes down next year. He'll probably call it a day at the end of 15 so we've got to find some help fast.

Greystache
11-08-2014, 01:21 PM
I'd be stoked to get May; he's tailed off badly but his first half of the season was excellent, would have walked into the AA team had he kept it up.

We'd have to give up a lot but I'd do it. Not that there's any indication that he wants to leave or anything.

Given he's the same size as Dale Morris would it not just produce the same cries that the MC are asking him to play on guys too big for him?

Happy Days
11-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Given he's the same size as Dale Morris would it not just produce the same cries that the MC are asking him to play on guys too big for him?

Best case he can use his incredible strength to continue to win one on one contests against taller opponents, worst case we have a much needed Morris replacement.

I think he can; I've made it pretty well known that I think the obsession everyone has with 3-5 cms size difference is stupid anyway.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2014, 09:28 PM
We need a KP defender with some pace. Roughy is slow and Roberts/Talia aren't much quicker.

This is where Frawley would actually be the perfect option, if he wasn't so over priced.

LostDoggy
11-08-2014, 09:42 PM
We need a KP defender with some pace. Roughy is slow and Roberts/Talia aren't much quicker.

This is where Frawley would actually be the perfect option, if he wasn't so over priced.

Around 650k I don't think it's ridiculous (Bonti will say it is after stripping him twice before kicking goty), he's shown this year he is very versatile, and he is one we can legitimately target and get. All the Patton, Cameron talk is very pie in the sky. With Frawley at least you know the only variable is $$$

The Underdog
12-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Around 650k I don't think it's ridiculous (Bonti will say it is after stripping him twice before kicking goty), he's shown this year he is very versatile, and he is one we can legitimately target and get. All the Patton, Cameron talk is very pie in the sky. With Frawley at least you know the only variable is $$$

650k isn't terrible. 7 years of it sure is though. And that's the rumour of what he's looking for as a length of the contract.

ledge
13-08-2014, 12:37 AM
I put something forward .. Do we need to recruit a forward? Interesting stats put up about bontempelli, could he become our CHF and stringer our FF, do we look for a CHB or does Macca think we have what we need already and just need to drop off a couple of list cloggers and recruit better in draft ?

LostDoggy
13-08-2014, 09:48 AM
I put something forward .. Do we need to recruit a forward? Interesting stats put up about bontempelli, could he become our CHF and stringer our FF, do we look for a CHB or does Macca think we have what we need already and just need to drop off a couple of list cloggers and recruit better in draft ?

Perhaps it would be nice to find out what having a genuine long term key forward option is like?

Mofra
13-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Perhaps it would be nice to find out what having a genuine long term key forward option is like?
Sadly we haven't developed one - and kept him there - since Jack Collins.

ledge
13-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Bontempelli is so close to Riewoldt in height and weight , he can do amazing things , has great marking ability and could fit in just perfect in my eyes and with Stringer showing his strength in the core, include blokes like Jones,Hunter, Dalhaus, Higgins, etc even Campbell could go down there, it's pretty awesome forward line just looking at next year.
I'm thinking maybe its our backline that needs shoring up, but if Roberts and TAlia come on, I seriously think either next year or the year after we will just all come together and really give the flag a tilt for the next 8 years.

KT31
13-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Sadly we haven't developed one - and kept him there - since Jack Collins.

Agree with the exceptions to The Pieman and KT only left when he was done.

Templeton31
13-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Interesting chat on 360 tonight re Melbourne list, trading and drafts. David King put up the players that Geelong got through the draft in 1999 and 2001. I didn't write them down but they were names like Ablett, Enright, Johnson, Mooney, Kelly etc. (I know I could search for them...) and I think it was 9 players across 2 drafts who became the nucleus of the team for a very long time and of course have delivered premierships and GFs. When you thik of the players we have picked up over the last few years - Libba, Wallis, Bonti, Hunter, Honeychurch, Dahlhaus, Roughy etc you can see the list forming and would hate to give away another future one of these guys for a "good-ordinary" player (eg Casboult, or like at Collingwood with White).
Having said that I always remember that Geelong maintain getting Ottens down there was the missing link to their premiership team but they gave up pick 16 (their first rounder) and Brent Moloney (who went on to win a B&F at Melbourne and play close to 200 games so in my mind the equivalent of another first rounder). If a brute forward (eg Patton) is our missing link then surely we have to sacrifice like Geelong did.

Remi Moses
13-08-2014, 10:19 PM
The problem is it will be pick 5 or 6 for us.
Richmond botched up the draft pick they got also.
Do we go established KPP? Or do we go draft and the development route?

Hotdog60
13-08-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm quite happy to go down the draft and the development route. I wouldn't want to pay the price the other clubs would want.

You pay the money and who's to say the high price recruit does a knee in his first season with us and has other issue that stop them from reaching their potential. Good money down the drain. I know we have to give something to get something but after 60 years are we in that much of a hurry.

We have done alright with our selections in resent times, I'm happy to back the people who know best.

Remi Moses
14-08-2014, 05:44 AM
They showed the Cats recruiting in 99 and 01.
They got 9 players from those two draft and trading periods.
Sliding doors moment when Colbert walked out on the club,and remember the doom and gloom vividly.
Colbert walking out just about handed Geelong a few flags

doggies ftw
14-08-2014, 09:27 AM
So Sam Reid talk is getting louder with a few different people ringing into SEN and saying he will be at the dogs next year.

How do people feel about that now? I've watched him pretty closely this year and while he hasn't been playing as a proper KPF most of the time, he has been pretty good. I really like how he'd fit into out team. Only 22 about to start hitting his good years so fits the age demographic by being a few years older than our core midfield group. Will not only have an earlier impact but will most likely turn out a better player than any key forward we would take at pick 6 (not saying a late pick can't turn out better but I mean purely options for pick 6)

Think he fits in with the forward line were trying to build. Great contested mark, athletic and not a liability defensively and can rotate deep, up the ground, through the ruck and even defence when needed. And we know how much Macca gets a hard on for versatility! Would massively straighten us up, and still has 10 years in front of him.

Pick 6 for Reid and either a fringe player or Sydney's late second rounder or something. I'd take that. Thoughts?

Templeton31
14-08-2014, 10:43 AM
I'd take that. Pick 6 for Sam Reid definitely. And to me, unlike some other potential trades, it actually sounds possible as Swans get a decent pick which they don't get many of through these years of success. Mind you more people ringing in to SEN about it doesn't mean much!!!!!!

ReLoad
14-08-2014, 10:47 AM
So Sam Reid talk is getting louder with a few different people ringing into SEN and saying he will be at the dogs next year.

How do people feel about that now? I've watched him pretty closely this year and while he hasn't been playing as a proper KPF most of the time, he has been pretty good. I really like how he'd fit into out team. Only 22 about to start hitting his good years so fits the age demographic by being a few years older than our core midfield group. Will not only have an earlier impact but will most likely turn out a better player than any key forward we would take at pick 6 (not saying a late pick can't turn out better but I mean purely options for pick 6)

Think he fits in with the forward line were trying to build. Great contested mark, athletic and not a liability defensively and can rotate deep, up the ground, through the ruck and even defence when needed. And we know how much Macca gets a hard on for versatility! Would massively straighten us up, and still has 10 years in front of him.

Pick 6 for Reid and either a fringe player or Sydney's late second rounder or something. I'd take that. Thoughts?

There is no way id give up pick 6 for Reid, no way in the world. - the swans have some cap issues and have not had an early pick in the draft for a long time so that trade would suit them to the ground, but pick 6 for Reid? No thanks.

Yet again on SEN this morning Greg Denham and the Australian are reporting we are into Patton in a big way, there is substance to this rumor no doubt, and at pick 6 this year we will NOT get a monster gun FF, particularly like Patton. We need to bite the bullet, offer up pick 6 and someone decent and do the deal.

last year I was castigated for suggesting Minson and a early pick for Tom Boyd, we need to offer up something unique to the giants which will get the deal done. They can then forever keep Cameron and Boyd as they will have mountains of salary cap room.

So im thinking something along the lines of Honeychurch or Hrovat and Pick 6. Boyd signs a 5 year deal with us and we are a totally different side, marketing wise and on the field. Just do it Dogs.

LostDoggy
14-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Reload, in all honesty, the Rat and HC would barely get a game at GWS. They'll be after at least one established player who fills a position they currently lack depth in.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2014, 11:12 AM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-poised-to-offer-900000-a-year-for-gws-gun-jonathon-patton/story-fnca0u4y-1227023569554

Denham article on us offering 900k for Patton

ReLoad
14-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Reload, in all honesty, the Rat and HC would barely get a game at GWS. They'll be after at least one established player who fills a position they currently lack depth in.

Your probably right, then who is that person? Pick 6 does hold currency this year so the swap cannot command one of the "untouchables"

RoZDog
14-08-2014, 11:57 AM
If sydney traded for an early 1st rounder, wouldn't they be forced to use it on issac heeney (syd academy player)? Trading happens before the bidding system for the draft, unless I'm mistaken. Would be pointless for sydney to move up the draft order imo, unless they wanted the extra late 1st rounder on someone else.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Interesting point rozdog. Not sure it would work like that though as on the flip side, if they trade their first round pick they lose their right to bid on Heeney. YOu would think that if they traded for a higher pick it wouldnt forfeit their right to use it on whoever they liked. Im not sure though

soupman
14-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Father son bidding happens before the trading period.

Possibly the worst part of the current father/son bidding process is not whether it gives fair value, but rather the hundreds of posts every year from people that think there is a glaring hole to be exploited in the system.

Axe Man
14-08-2014, 12:04 PM
If sydney traded for an early 1st rounder, wouldn't they be forced to use it on issac heeney (syd academy player)? Trading happens before the bidding system for the draft, unless I'm mistaken. Would be pointless for sydney to move up the draft order imo, unless they wanted the extra late 1st rounder on someone else.

You are mistaken. Father-Son and academy bidding takes place before trade week.

Friday October 3 - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period begins

Friday October 3, by 2pm - NAB AFL father/son bidding nominations; Academy bidding nominations lodged with AFL

Monday October 6, 10am - Father/son and Academy players bidding meeting; NAB AFL Trade Period begins

jeemak
14-08-2014, 12:06 PM
If we were to land Reid I'd be more comfortable if we somehow traded away our pick 6 for two later first round picks, one to be used to secure Reid with the other to be used to secure some young talent in an even pool.

We still need to keep bringing in young talent through the draft. Our overall list talent isn't quite there yet but is getting better, and while some might not want to spend pick 6 on a KPD which we sorely need, perhaps a pick in the late first round would be more palatable.

bornadog
14-08-2014, 12:11 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-poised-to-offer-900000-a-year-for-gws-gun-jonathon-patton/story-fnca0u4y-1227023569554

Denham article on us offering 900k for Patton

Are you able to copy and post as I don't have access.

Remi Moses
14-08-2014, 03:06 PM
If we were to land Reid I'd be more comfortable if we somehow traded away our pick 6 for two later first round picks, one to be used to secure Reid with the other to be used to secure some young talent in an even pool.

We still need to keep bringing in young talent through the draft. Our overall list talent isn't quite there yet but is getting better, and while some might not want to spend pick 6 on a KPD which we sorely need, perhaps a pick in the late first round would be more palatable.

Agree, but also I'd have Sydney paying a fair proportion of his wage if that deal went through.

bornadog
14-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Agree, but also I'd have Sydney paying a fair proportion of his wage if that deal went through.

Reid maybe wanted following this announcement:

SYDNEY Swans premiership defender Lewis Roberts-Thomson has announced his immediate retirement from the game.

After his 2013 season was all but wiped out by a serious knee injury, Roberts-Thomson has played just five games this season, spending the past six weeks in the NEAFL.

Remi Moses
14-08-2014, 03:55 PM

I'd imagine he'd want to play forward though, and to be honest he's been lost in the Sydney side ATM.
Roberts- Thompson would be struggling to get a game in that side.

Templeton31
14-08-2014, 05:00 PM
LRT has only played 3 games this year and Reid hasn't been used down back so I don't think that changes things.

Dry Rot
14-08-2014, 05:08 PM

If you're familiar with the Swans team, there's no way they'd willingly trade Reid.

Vital backup player in case anything happens to their ageing tall defenders, and Buddy and Tippett have hardly been injury free.

Patton and Boyd are under contract at GWS and they will do everything they can over the next 12 months to keep them.

Talk of Patton, Reid or Boyd coming to us at seasons's end is just fantasy. Jacksch may be a possibility.

jeemak
14-08-2014, 05:38 PM
If you're familiar with the Swans team, there's no way they'd willingly trade Reid.

Vital backup player in case anything happens to their ageing tall defenders, and Buddy and Tippett have hardly been injury free.

Patton and Boyd are under contract at GWS and they will do everything they can over the next 12 months to keep them.

Talk of Patton, Reid or Boyd coming to us at seasons's end is just fantasy. Jacksch may be a possibility.

GWS have Buckley's of keeping all of Patton, Boyd and Cameron next year.

If they were smart they'd realise this and make a deal while they still carry the whip hand. Their position to negotiate next year won't be at all good when each player holds out to the conclusion of the season to see what sort of terms they can attract.

Dry Rot
14-08-2014, 05:41 PM
GWS have Buckley's of keeping all of Patton, Boyd and Cameron next year.

If they were smart they'd realise this and make a deal while they still carry the whip hand. Their position to negotiate next year won't be at all good when each player holds out to the conclusion of the season to see what sort of terms they can attract.

Those players will still need an avenue to get to their club of choice in 2015, or face the hideous spectre of playing for St Kilda via the PSD.

jeemak
14-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Those players will still need an avenue to get to their club of choice in 2015, or face the hideous spectre of playing for St Kilda via the PSD.

I don't think it will matter to them too much if the dollars and terms are where they need to be. GWS faces greater exposure than the players in that situation.

Greystache
14-08-2014, 06:00 PM
I don't think it will matter to them too much if the dollars and terms are where they need to be. GWS faces greater exposure than the players in that situation.

I think you're bang on the money J. GWS will make big noise about how there's no chance any of the 3 will be traded, but if they're smart they'll accept they're going to lose at least one and make the trade while they have the player under contract. They hold all the cards this trade period, next year they're at the whim of the player, especially if he doesn't care where he goes as long as it's in Melbourne and the money is right.