PDA

View Full Version : Picking a Bulldog Captain

bulldogtragic
18-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Having heard a few youngsters over the last little bit speak and play, I think I might have said "this kid should be a future captain" a few times now, in fact I know I've said it about many pups. Jack, Marcus, Nathan, Jordan, Mitch etc all have that certain something that screams not only leader, but captain and club ambassador.

This time around Griffen was clearly the standout, but I'm guessing next time around it will be like the era before, before last when Grant, West, Smith & Johnson could have all been great captains and ambassadors. All those men are club heroes and legends, but only 2 are etched on the honour board as club captains in a most amazing group of players and men. There've been many a club before get into a position where they've not had anyone standout (Nick Maxwell seemed judged harshly at the time of appointment), as far as 'problems' go what a wonderful 'problem' to have!

Not in necessarily picking a name, but in the general sense for you personally:

In looking forward how does a future captain stand out, from a group of highly talented & outstanding young leaders?
Is it just on onfield talent?
Is it physical courage?
Or equally both?
Does their onfield position mean anything?
Do you subscribe to co-captains?

I think were all hoping Griffen is a premiership captain, but (not being negative) if it happens to be our next tilt at a flag is the captain after, then it's a major appointment to the next person if we think they will be a premiership captain. It's a very small club that one, imagine being the one to join Charlie in that club!

boydogs
18-06-2014, 12:48 AM
I think having an ability to influence games on field is an important part of it. That's where Griffen gets a big tick, he played a real captains game on the weekend battling through soreness and finding a way to keep contributing. He doesn't have the most interesting personality and he isn't the best public speaker but he has everyone's respect for the way he goes about his footy and he is an example to others with his work ethic in games and standing up when needed

LostDoggy
18-06-2014, 08:24 AM
I think it'd have more to do with off-field, during the week at training leadership than just who the better player is on game day, although yes that does still count.

My criteria:

Can see a game going awry and turn it around
Shows the way at training and in the weights room
Has the attention of the entire group during meetings, etc.
Can speak well to the media, not just cliches but when under the pump. Gia is still our best guy for this.
100% effort and intensity, 100% of the time.

Bulldog Joe
18-06-2014, 10:05 AM
We are well placed for future leaders with the current crop.

I have been at club events where Jordan Roughead, Mitch Wallis and recently Bontempelli and Honeychurch spoke to the group. All were very impressive. You also see leadership on field already from Macrae. I think Easton Wood is also capable.

Nice problem to have and obviously a sign that the "good people" mantra is important.

1eyedog
18-06-2014, 11:49 AM
The most positively influential player at the club (ala Tom Harley). When they speak everyone listens, very solid player and prepared to always lead by example.

bornadog
18-06-2014, 12:45 PM
The most positively influential player at the club (ala Tom Harley). When they speak everyone listens, very solid player and prepared to always lead by example.

Who?

Greystache
18-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Who?

Roughy

Twodogs
18-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Yep. It's got to be Roughy.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2014, 09:30 PM

Darren Glass says you can do it easily, so you learned gents say you don't need a ball winner or goal kicker?

1eyedog
18-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Roughy

X2

Yep we've discussed this. They love him down there - solid pedigree that family it seems Jarryd is very highly respected at Hawthorn. Smith is my next candidate.

Dry Rot
18-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Hrovat is the man. has a good track record as a leader.

bornadog
18-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Hrovat is the man. has a good track record as a leader.

Yes I agree. Sat at my table at the season launch, terrific young man, spoke so well, couldn't believe he was 19 years old.

lemmon
19-06-2014, 01:05 AM
For someone not as involved personally, why are Roughy and Hrovat so highly rated internally?

Murphy'sLore
19-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Didn't Macca once pick Roughy as the most likely Prime Minister? You'd think being captain of WBFC would be only a slightly more difficult job...

1eyedog
19-06-2014, 03:45 PM
For someone not as involved personally, why are Roughy and Hrovat so highly rated internally?

From what I've heard having met him and heard others talk about him he has a great sense of humor and is very charismatic. Being smart, funny, speaking well, being tall and good looking (ala. Darcy) helps to influence people.

Maddog37
19-06-2014, 04:40 PM
I hope Mitch Wallis cements his spot as he has always impressed me as the next captain. Watch the passion after we win a game, watch him with supporters, the bloodlines, it is all there.