PDA

View Full Version : A general footy/sport question...

bulldogtragic
23-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm only in my mid twenties, and in my lifetime to date i've seen the best golfer in Tiger, best driver in Schumacher, best tennis player in Federer and basketballer in Jordan and swimmer in Thorpe. I missed Bradman!

It got me thinking about VFL's/AFL's best. Have i seen it my time, perhaps Carey, Voss or Grant. I have i missed it, EJ, Skilton, Dyer etc.

Who is our games absolute great that you could say dominated this sport like these names?

Dry Rot
23-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Always a tricky question surely in any sport covering so many eras and how each sport has changed.

Was Carey better than Brereton? Coventry better than Lockett?

I'm still amazed at batsmen playing on uncovered pitches.

bulldogtragic
23-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Always a tricky question surely in any sport covering so many eras and how each sport has changed.

Was Carey better than Brereton? Coventry better than Lockett?

I'm still amazed at batsmen playing on uncovered pitches.

What about the days when footballers had to play on uneven surfaces.... Or have opposition change rooms where the hot water was disconnected, or without a stadium roof... Those were the days.

p.s. - Carey over Dermie. The other one i guess is my question. Any 85 year old posters?

Twodogs
23-01-2007, 09:47 PM
p.s. - Carey over Dermie. The other one i guess is my question. Any 85 year old posters?

Royce Hart was a better player than Carey. Played in four premierships and in three of them the official game plan was "kick it to Royce" He was amazing, remember Chris Grant in the early-mid 90s used to do one thing a week that no-one else was capable of, Royce Hart would do those sorts of things three or four times a quarter. When I was growing up Richmond were the evil empire and I hated them with a passion but Hart was almost impossible to hate. He virtually had no knees for the latter part of his career but when he was at his peak he was the best player I remember seeing.

FWIW I reckon that if Templeton hadnt done his knee he would have been 'The Greatest', no question.

bulldogtragic
23-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Royce Hart was a better player than Carey. Played in four premierships and in three of them the official game plan was "kick it to Royce" He was amazing, remember Chris Grant in the early-mid 90s used to do one thing a week that no-one else was capable of, Royce Hart would do those sorts of things three or four times a quarter. When I was growing up Richmond were the evil empire and I hated them with a passion but Hart was almost impossible to hate. He virtually had no knees for the latter part of his career but when he was at his peak he was the best player I remember seeing.

FWIW I reckon that if Templeton hadnt done his knee he would have been 'The Greatest', no question.
So is that a nomination for Hart?

Twodogs
23-01-2007, 10:02 PM
So is that a nomination for Hart?

Yes. With a qualification asterix for KT*

*If only award.

LostDoggy
23-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm only in my mid twenties, and in my lifetime to date i've seen the best golfer in Tiger, best driver in Schumacher, best tennis player in Federer and basketballer in Jordan and swimmer in Thorpe. I missed Bradman!

It got me thinking about VFL's/AFL's best. Have i seen it my time, perhaps Carey, Voss or Grant. I have i missed it, EJ, Skilton, Dyer etc.

Who is our games absolute great that you could say dominated this sport like these names?

Federer isn't the best tennis player ever. Rod Laver was closer to the best player ever.
Firstly the technology in tennis has ruined the game. Never should have allowed metal racquets to enter the sport. To me its just a boring game of power now. There are also so many tournaments these days.
Too hard to compare now between eras.

Golf is headed along the same direction. Though Tiger woods is pretty consistent.

Thorpe? Was Dawn Fraser better?

bulldogtragic
23-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Federer isn't the best tennis player ever. Rod Laver was closer to the best player ever.
Firstly the technology in tennis has ruined the game. Never should have allowed metal racquets to enter the sport. To me its just a boring game of power now. There are also so many tournaments these days.
Too hard to compare now between eras.

Golf is headed along the same direction. Though Tiger woods is pretty consistent.

Thorpe? Was Dawn Fraser better?
Semantics and opinion. The 'vibe' is about who dominates/ has dominated VFL/AFL to the extent of THE champion status.

LostDoggy
23-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Semantics and opinion. The 'vibe' is about who dominates/ has dominated VFL/AFL to the extent of THE champion status.

Well I don't think you can compare eras in a lot of sports including AFL.

Twodogs
23-01-2007, 10:35 PM

Its all semantics and opinion to an extent though, isnt it?

It's like the current Australian test team v the West Indies of the early '80 to late '80s. Both great sides but The Windies would just suck the life out of Australia with slow over rates and negative field placings. It would be as boring as bat droppings to watch but the West Indies had this reputation as an exciting team. They might have been exciting in some ways but they werent exciting to watch.

Dry Rot
23-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Its all semantics and opinion to an extent though, isnt it?

It's like the current Australian test team v the West Indies of the early '80 to late '80s. Both great sides but The Windies would just suck the life out of Australia with slow over rates and negative field placings. It would be as boring as bat droppings to watch but the West Indies had this reputation as an exciting team. They might have been exciting in some ways but they werent exciting to watch.

I wish I'd seen the great Victor Trumper play. IIRC had a great average on a wet tour of England pre-war, on uncovered pitches. NSW player too, which is important. ;)

bulldogtragic
24-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Right on the money Twodogs, I was asking for the best ever footballer, but i suppose as Ernie points out, to do that you'd neeed to compare players from eras, which is near impossible.

Hard Ball Get
24-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Carey for me.
I'm the same though in the early 20's so I haven't seen some of the older players. Even when he ripped us apart I could just watch in awe. Carey despite the fact that he comes across as an arrogant bloke was a bit of an idol for me. Loved the way he lead and took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Twodogs
24-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I wish I'd seen the great Victor Trumper play. IIRC had a great average on a wet tour of England pre-war, on uncovered pitches. NSW player too, which is important. ;)

1902 from memory.

Was the last player selected on the 1899 (they made room for him) tour and was originally only going to be on half the pay that the others were on. They saw him play once and made him a full member of the team. They say that MacKay was the more spectacular player though.