PDA

View Full Version : Macca's Message - Round 14

bornadog
23-06-2014, 11:09 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-06-23/maccas-member-message-round-fourteen?camefrom=EMCL_324532_14956238

Remi Moses
24-06-2014, 12:51 AM
Pretty much summed it up.
I think they got on top midway through the second.

Cyberdoggie
24-06-2014, 02:05 PM
I guess I'm starting to get over the "we just need to keep scrapping and working and try to stay in the game a bit longer" line.

Is that what Port Adelaide say to themselves when they come up against us? let's just keep staying in the game and working until the game opens up and we run over the top of them?".

I understand the message but the reality is if we did several things better and were more efficient, had better targets to kick to, moved the ball more directly through the corridor and protected the ball carrier more then we wouldn't need to keep up this facade of hanging in there.

let's go out there and find a way to be more direct, expend less energy defending because we control the ball and protect players and give them time to make smart decisions. Let's be the ones that are dictating the game and dominating possession.

I just think we are setting the bar way to low with the messages we are sending out and perhaps that is the level we are playing to.

azabob
24-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I just think we are setting the bar way to low with the messages we are sending out and perhaps that is the level we are playing to.

Do you truly believe the message gives to the members is the same one he gives to the players?

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-06-2014, 05:37 PM
I guess I'm starting to get over the "we just need to keep scrapping and working and try to stay in the game a bit longer" line.

Is that what Port Adelaide say to themselves when they come up against us? let's just keep staying in the game and working until the game opens up and we run over the top of them?".

I understand the message but the reality is if we did several things better and were more efficient, had better targets to kick to, moved the ball more directly through the corridor and protected the ball carrier more then we wouldn't need to keep up this facade of hanging in there.

let's go out there and find a way to be more direct, expend less energy defending because we control the ball and protect players and give them time to make smart decisions. Let's be the ones that are dictating the game and dominating possession.

It's reality unfortunately. Until we can improve our current list drastically you can expect much of the same. Macrae Bonti and Hrovat have breathed some life into the team, but we are still a long way off the pace, to where we need to be.

Remi Moses
24-06-2014, 05:42 PM
We were poor from midway through the second , but they are a decent team.
We'd be getting a different message to the players, no doubt.

Mantis
25-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Do you truly believe the message gives to the members is the same one he gives to the players?

I doubt it would be, but why bother sending these out if it's just the same message on repeat?

azabob
25-06-2014, 11:34 AM
I doubt it would be, but why bother sending these out if it's just the same message on repeat?

That I do not know. At least he stays on message!

Cyberdoggie
25-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Regardless of what he's saying internally and externally, to me the message just isn't one of being number 1. It's about hanging in there and waiting for it to just happen, just like the Pantene adds.

To me this message is fine 2 years ago but we are in year 3 of this regime' and it's getting a little tired.

Change your approach and redefine your goals/messages.

I get the feeling it's going to be a while before we find the players we need that are going to take us further and by that stage these seniors players will all be gone. If the 3+ year current players don't step up soon then it's not going to get better, no matter how many quality kids we bring in.

Maddog37
25-06-2014, 01:42 PM
I think he would say the same type of stuff if we were on a ten game win streak.

Cyberdoggie
25-06-2014, 04:02 PM
If the people in charge of your company used words like "hanging in there" and "trying to compete with the opposition/competitors", and that "we are going to down this method/style because we know it works in the past". Do you think they would have a job for very long? or that the company would be in business?. No way.

These days more than ever if your not ahead of the game, or thinking about new ways to get ahead and revolutionize your industry then your a dinosaur and your just making up the numbers.

Clarkson isn't a successful coach because he is just doing what worked for his mentors.
The game is changing all the time, and we not only have to keep up, we have to be the ones changing the game!

Maybe I'm wrong and the club is trying their best to do these things internally but from the outside looking in, and seeing the performances and lack of growth of some of the players, I'm picking up the opposite.

bornadog
25-06-2014, 04:32 PM
If the people in charge of your company used words like "hanging in there" and "trying to compete with the opposition/competitors", and that "we are going to down this method/style because we know it works in the past". Do you think they would have a job for very long? or that the company would be in business?. No way.

These days more than ever if your not ahead of the game, or thinking about new ways to get ahead and revolutionize your industry then your a dinosaur and your just making up the numbers.

Clarkson isn't a successful coach because he is just doing what worked for his mentors.
The game is changing all the time, and we not only have to keep up, we have to be the ones changing the game!

Maybe I'm wrong and the club is trying their best to do these things internally but from the outside looking in, and seeing the performances and lack of growth of some of the players, I'm picking up the opposite.

or we as supporter are very impatient. How long has it taken Port to get to where they are now. Players take a few years to start developing and giving you a return. Take a look at Westhoff, I for one thought he was a dud, but he is turning out to be a very handy player. Guys recruited in the last 3 years will need another three years to become very good players. Our 1999 crop of players, arguably one of the best drafts in our history, only started to become good players from 2005.

Its very difficult for the club to spin a story every week. Our issue really is having the right players, now that is a different story.

jeemak
25-06-2014, 04:34 PM
I think you're asking a fair bit of a guy transferring a message to members.

I think you're asking reasonable questions of a guy who's coaching a team in an elite competition.

It's probably best you separate the two guys and judge them independently. Unfortunately, the only thing you've got to go on with the second guy how his own team plays and what the first guy says!

I've seen plenty of improvement in a number of players and I think we underestimate how much slack they're picking up due to a group consisting of Dickson, Cross, Boyd, Griffen, Cooney, Murphy, Morris, Williams and Giansiracusa that has for whatever reason (injury, forced trade and limited game time etc.) dropping in output fairly rapidly this year compared to last.

As for the message, I actually think the first guy is right. AFL the way we play it because of the limitations we have in cattle has to be a simple game of hanging in there and doing the things you know to be effective for as long as possible. Unlike you, I don't expect him to tell us (and the competition) what he absolutely believes to be effective - aside from some really obvious ones.

LostDoggy
25-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Port's a poor example to use BAD (but I get what you mean). They were almost instantaneous from Primus to Hinkley, and have been consistent since that time.

This is brand marketing conveyed by the wrong person.

Remi Moses
25-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Either way he can't win.
Not sending any message he'd be invisible, but sending a message is seen as monontonous .
No doubt we get a small sample size, as compared to internally.

azabob
25-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Port's a poor example to use BAD (but I get what you mean). They were almost instantaneous from Primus to Hinkley, and have been consistent since that time.

I don't believe it was that simple.

bornadog
25-06-2014, 09:16 PM
I don't believe it was that simple.

Yes I agree, I think Port were on the brink after years of rebuilding.

stefoid
25-06-2014, 11:20 PM
This is a cruel observation, and a poor attempt at humour, but Maccas nose *is* literally growing.

Bulldog4life
26-06-2014, 03:49 PM
I think you're asking a fair bit of a guy transferring a message to members.

I think you're asking reasonable questions of a guy who's coaching a team in an elite competition.

It's probably best you separate the two guys and judge them independently. Unfortunately, the only thing you've got to go on with the second guy how his own team plays and what the first guy says!

I've seen plenty of improvement in a number of players and I think we underestimate how much slack they're picking up due to a group consisting of Dickson, Cross, Boyd, Griffen, Cooney, Murphy, Morris, Williams and Giansiracusa that has for whatever reason (injury, forced trade and limited game time etc.) dropping in output fairly rapidly this year compared to last.

As for the message, I actually think the first guy is right. AFL the way we play it because of the limitations we have in cattle has to be a simple game of hanging in there and doing the things you know to be effective for as long as possible. Unlike you, I don't expect him to tell us (and the competition) what he absolutely believes to be effective - aside from some really obvious ones.

I agree with you Jeemak. Macca isn't going to sprout to the world...yes I am sure others apart from the members see his message...what he really thinks. I am glad he doesn't. I am happy with the snippet of info we get from the coach.

Bulldog Joe
26-06-2014, 04:07 PM
This is brand marketing conveyed by the wrong person.

The point BAD makes is that Port are much further along the line. They have players in the right age/experience profile. Yes Primus and Choco Williams, before him, were struggling. However, they did hang on to lots of low draft picks, with a few years pre-seasons and were ready to go once Hinkley came on board. Very much like the Eade resurgence with us after Rhode.

Macca had to virtually start again and we had no early picks stockpiled and ready to go. If it takes 5 years we will be doing about as well as a realistic hope. That means 2016 before we are a contender. I'm still hoping for better.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-06-2014, 10:04 PM
As BAD pointed out, the guys from '99 took a long while to find their feet. That's what i try to point out when supporters are overly critical of our young or inexperienced players. Murph and Gia are loved by all and sundry now but i remember a time when they were copping it in the outer.

I look forward to Mac's appraisal. Of course he's aiming for No. 1 but there are a lot of stepping stones on the way.

I think our players are in good hands with Mac at the helm.