PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 15

Eastdog
27-06-2014, 12:07 AM
This is the round 15 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Bankers, Anchors.

SlimPickens
29-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Banker
Mitch Wallis- thought he was outstanding today. Had him BOG, just did so much right in the game. Saw a 200 game player today which I haven't seen since late last year.

Bonts- Stood up at the end, and won us the game.

Stringer- rewarded for his fantastic forward pressure with 4 goals.

Hrovat- very good after coming on as a sub.

Anchor-
Libba- trying out for the Melbourne storm in front of the opposition goals. Not your sharpest.

Jones- No effect at all. Is there a player with a bigger gap between best and worst?

That'll do.

boydogs
29-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Bankers

Bontempelli adding clutch to his arsenal
Wallis keeping a handle on Jones and finding space himself, particularly early to setup the lead
Dahlhaus & Stringer taking marks on the lead

Anchors

Getting outmarked, all over the ground, all day
Libba unable to break the tag
The bad version of Liam Jones making it tough for us going forward

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Bankers
Higgins- thought he showed great leadership today for 4 quarters
Wood- must be a shoe in for most improved player this year.
Bontempelli - is really growing in stature, without his freakish goal we either draw or lose today.

Anchors

Stringer - he did a lot right especially his pressure, but 2 of his 4 goals were gimmes. He missed 2 that were bread and butter, but more concerning were the several times he would push his opponent when out positioned in a contest, really lazy and low percentage.
Libba two horror games in a row. Needs to learn how to play a hard tag.
Austin. I know he was outsized, but his decision making was atrocious all game.

Axe Man
29-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Bankers
Bonts - no explanation necessary
Stringer - always dangerous, could have had a couple more
Dahlhaus - never stops giving

Anchors
Ray Chamberlin
David Harris
Jacob Mollison

LostDoggy
29-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Bankers:

Wallis. Showed why claims he's an average player are impatient at best.
Stringer. He did some right, some wrong, but the best aspect of his game today for mine is that he didn't try too much for the flashy millionaire stuff, he did his job and did it well. The stint in the twos has had an effect on him, hopefully.
Bontempelli. I freaking love this kid. Absolute excitement machine, I haven't been this excited for an individual player since The Hawk.

Anchors:

Ray Chamberlain, you ******** ******** ******** son of a ******** ******** with ******** ********. I hope you ******** off and ********.

always right
29-06-2014, 07:13 PM
B:
Morris for a typical desperado game against a much bigger opponent. Watch the replay and see how many time he manages yo square a contest when out of position.
Wood. What a year he's having. That first half was simply magnificent.
Our young players. They all look like they belong.....including Darley and Honeychurch.

A:
Jones. Thought his work rate was there but he was too easily worked out of the contest.
Chamberlain. Again he tried to make the game all about him. Why does he gave to umpire so differently to the other two umpires?

LostDoggy
29-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Bankers:
Bontempelli. Hero
Wallis for an excellent job on Jones.
An impressive win from a very young side.

Anchors:
Ray Chamberlain. Melbourne's best player.
Libba for killing my super coach score. Having him as captain really hurt.
Etihad Stadium for not turning the heating on. ;)

G-Mo77
29-06-2014, 08:16 PM
On Ray Chamberlin. Heard a great call today after one of the runners gave him a drink. "I hope it's poison!" Simple but made me have a good laugh.

Oh an yeah he'll get an Anchor today from me!

ratsmac
29-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Bankers

Bonts - this kid could be anything. Stood up when we needed someone to.
Wallis - work rate was his usual but today he never just blazed away with his disposal.
Stringer - he looked dangerous at times
Honeychurch / Darley - never looked nervous as you might expect. Both did some nice things.

ANCHORS

Ray Chamberlin - he was dead set cheating in that third quarter. 2 sets of rules.

Libba - I can't believe I am putting him in the anchors but he was a non factor today. With no Griffen and Cooney some what, he is getting the heavy tag. This is what is separating him from the elite of the comp. The past 2 weeks won't sit to well with him because he is a competitive beast. 100% he'll be better for it imo.

Jones - Jekyll and Hyde, the problem is though that he is Mr Hyde way more than Dr. Jekyll. 1 handball for 3 quarters of footy is disgraceful. He needs to see a head doctor because he has all the physical attributes of a footballer but it's what is between the ears that must be holding him back.

F'scary
29-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Bankers

Wood, Morris and Wallis for solid, dependable contested footy all day.

Anchors

The inconsistent guy who is going to take Cordy's spot in the reserves next week.
Minson's lacking of marking presence around the ground. His lack of marking ability is so bad he cannot be rested in the forward pocket. This is causing us selection and structure problems.
Crameri. Some may say that if he is a two kick, two goal a game half forward he's doing his job. But I'm not so sure.

craigsahibee
29-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Bankers
Wood. He still worries me when he has the footy but he was the main reason we were in front and controlling the game at half time.
Wallis. He's not too far away from consistently being on the positive side of the good games/ bad games ledger.
Dahlhaus. With the retirement of Jono Brown many have asked the question "Who are the great modern day Centre Half Forwards?" Up until half time today Luke was in that category. Relentless work rate, commitment to the contest and skill.

Anchors
Jonesy. I have a lot of time for him but he was disappointing today. Not through lack of effort. It just didn't work for him. One of those days which are a bit too frequent.
Libba. Ineffective for the most part of the day. Thought his last quarter was ok.
Match Committee. Will needs a hand. No pinch hitters like Jonesy or Fletch

SonofScray
29-06-2014, 11:46 PM
Bankers:
Bonti - Clutch. A rare Bulldog trait, gets it done.
Stringer - Big League Swagger, hit the scoreboard.
Dahl - 1st half across CHF was immense.

Anchors:
Jones - served a structural purpose but has to find the ball much more.
ACG security/Etihad staff - harassing me over my banners.
Embellishment/Diving/Staging Demons - a blight on the game.

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Bankers

Jake - Just love watching him play
Bonts - GOTY
Mitch HC - cant go past first kick first goal

Anchors -
Razor denying Jake a 5th goal
50 metre penalty against Picken when he had a go at Dawes?
Demons supporters all they do is whinge about how they were robbed

Ozza
30-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Bankers:

Bonti - not just the last two goals and the important mark. But also some clever touches in the third quarter when the tide was against us.
Dahlhaus- never gives up on a contest. So crafty - I have a heap of faith in him anytime he is in a contest.
Wood- so well balanced, strong a fearless these days. Some good dash at times too - has been a huge find, possibly fast tracked by some big assignments this year.

Anchors:
Plenty of players had poor periods - but also had good moments.
Jones was obviously the stand out for bad games - he doesn't cope well in games that aren't fast/open.

Remi Moses
30-06-2014, 02:24 AM
Going by the ABC call
Bankers/ Boyd ( really good to see a senior player stand up with numbers down.
Bankers/ Bonts( just saw the goal . What a goal)
Bankers/ Stringer ( get himself fit and he'll be a handful)
Bankers/ Higgins ( really having a breakout year)

Anchors/ like David Parkin, but to publicly admit you were hoping the Dees would win.Pleease!
Anchors / giving up a substantial lead, although a banker in that we won.
Anchors/ The drivers here in Gay Parais . I just hope I make it home

Remi Moses
30-06-2014, 02:25 AM
Forgot Jones in the anchors. I mean seriously no touches until the third term!!

Twodogs
30-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Forgot Jones in the anchors. I mean seriously no touches until the third term!!

No touches looks bad but he still did some important things in the first half. He chased, he tackled, he harassed.

Previously if he wasn't getting his hands on the pill he would have stood around like a stale bottle of piss but yesterday, even in the first half, he was still affecting the game. The penny has finally dropped that even if he can't get the ball he can still influence the game.

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 03:04 PM
No touches looks bad but he still did some important things in the first half. He chased, he tackled, he harassed.

Previously if he wasn't getting his hands on the pill he would have stood around like a stale bottle of piss but yesterday, even in the first half, he was still affecting the game. The penny has finally dropped that even if he can't get the ball he can still influence the game.

But is that good enough? He was out positioned and pushed off the ball far too eaily on about half a dozen 1on1s with Frawley. We needed the ball to hit the deck with all the little fellas running amok. But he just couldn't do the job.

The Underdog
30-06-2014, 03:37 PM
But is that good enough? He was out positioned and pushed off the ball far too eaily on about half a dozen 1on1s with Frawley. We needed the ball to hit the deck with all the little fellas running amok. But he just couldn't do the job.

I definitely agree that Jones needs to get physically stronger and struggles to hold his own in one on one contests. I'd also send him back to Footscray to consistently effect the games for 2-3 weeks.
I'll also concede however that early on a lot of these were 2 on 1 contests where he'd get pushed out by his opponent for the third man to mark. He also took one nice mark about 15 out from goal, only to lose it to a free against Crameri in the contest. His chasing and harassing is valuable but that should be a baseline for all players.
I personally wouldn't be trading him yet. He's still young and I think kind of immature, but the upside if he gets it, is pretty high.

The Underdog
30-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Bankers:

Boyd - Outside of missing some games through injury, he's had probably his best season for a couple of years. Was huge for us on Sunday.
Wood - His growth this season has been huge. Just a hugely reliable defender who makes really good decisions in all aspects of the game. The mark in the last was just courageous.
Etihad Stadium - Not sure if this has been done already this season, but opening up some of Level 1 for GA was fantastic.

Anchors -
Jones - Nuff said
Team - I know we were young but to let a 37 point lead evaporate is pretty poor against a team of similar level. Great to fight and stay in it but shouldn't have been necessary.
Etihad Stadium - There is no PA relay at all in the rear of Level 1 underneath the Level 2 stand. Can't hear the siren, announcements, bugger all. Weak.

Also a banker for the umpire who gave the rushing the ball free. That was pure bullshit and we'd have been up in arms if it was paid against us. But a banker for him because he paid it our way :)
An anchor to anyone whinging about umpires. I'm over it.

soupman
30-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Also a banker for the umpire who gave the rushing the ball free. That was pure bullshit and we'd have been up in arms if it was paid against us. But a banker for him because he paid it our way :)

I disagree I thought that was definitely a free. I've always thought that its basically if you had another reasonable alternative under little-no pressure and rush it you will get pinged.

He got the ball ages away from the goal line, ignored teammates on both sides of the goal and while being chased was never under serious pressure.

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Bankers:

An anchor to anyone whinging about umpires. I'm over it.

I was very happy to see this and would not whinge if similar was paid against us.

Why have a free for a deliberate action on the books and then not enforce in the same way that the similar rule for out of bounds is enforced.

If they got fair dinkum and awarded every deliberately rushed behind we would have a better game overall.

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 04:49 PM
I disagree I thought that was definitely a free. I've always thought that its basically if you had another reasonable alternative under little-no pressure and rush it you will get pinged.

He got the ball ages away from the goal line, ignored teammates on both sides of the goal and while being chased was never under serious pressure.

Ran for a good six or seven meters, looked, saw nothing, softed it and deliberately veered off to concede the point. IMO this is a great rule and I’d like to see it enforced more.

jeemak
30-06-2014, 04:50 PM
When he first got the ball he had options either side of him, and only created pressure for himself by running closer to goal rather than away from it!

I agree the free kick should have been paid, but I'll defend to the death my right as a one eyed Bulldogs supporter to get angry if one is paid against us in the exact same circumstances.

soupman
30-06-2014, 04:51 PM
When he first got the ball he had options either side of him, and only created pressure for himself by running closer to goal rather than away from it!

I agree the free kick should have been paid, but I'll defend to the death my right as a one eyed Bulldogs supporter to get angry if one is paid against us in the exact same circumstances.

Well that's a different matter entirely

Ozza
30-06-2014, 05:00 PM
I didn't agree with the deliberate rushed free.

Happy to take it - but don't think it was in the spirit/intention of why the rule was brought in.

Would have rushed the field if it was paid against Bob Murphy for the same action!!!

Go_Dogs
30-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Bankers:
Wood - great season, now the hallmark of consistency
Wallis - worked hard, good game
Dahl - didn't give him votes, but he's another who has improved this year, is more consistently impacting games

Anchors:
Umpiring - terrible both ways
Media - trying to turn it into Melb blaming the umpires, Paul Roos said we deserved the win....but still had a crack at the umps.
Unrelated, but Eddie - ummmm Sunday evening is worse but it's not THAT different to a time slot we play most weeks.

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Nice that there are lots of potential bankers, a lot of players in an understrength side really put their hands up.

Bankers
Liam Picken - just puts his head down and does the job every week. Thought he had some influential touches early and hung in there late in the game (and was harshly treated by the umps for the 4th quarter free and fifty).

Wallis - good to see him having one of his best games for the club.

Boyd - lots of young boys out there and Boydy is leading by example. Great 4 qtr effort.

(could have put a lot more in ...dahl, and of course the last quarter efforts by jack and the bonts).

Anchors

The contested mark differential. Was glaring potential weakness heading into the game and that's the way it turned out.

Drunken Bum
30-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Bankers
Etihad Stadium - Not sure if this has been done already this season, but opening up some of Level 1 for GA was fantastic.
Anchors -
Etihad Stadium - There is no PA relay at all in the rear of Level 1 underneath the Level 2 stand. Can't hear the siren, announcements, bugger all. Weak.

Shit i might actually consider going to a game there again if both of these things continue, wish you couldn't hear the announcements, music, mind numbing interviews, product placement, ads, etc everywhere, would make for a much more pleasant experience

The Underdog
30-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Shit i might actually consider going to a game there again if both of these things continue, wish you couldn't hear the announcements, music, mind numbing interviews, product placement, ads, etc everywhere, would make for a much more pleasant experience

Wasn't fussed about any of the announcements but not hearing the siren wasn't ideal

The Underdog
30-06-2014, 10:47 PM
I didn't agree with the deliberate rushed free.

Happy to take it - but don't think it was in the spirit/intention of why the rule was brought in.

Would have rushed the field if it was paid against Bob Murphy for the same action!!!

I thought the Dustin Martin one a few weeks ago was the perfect example of why the rule was brought in. 15 metres out, hand balled it backwards the through and a free was paid. Have seen plenty the same as Bail's not paid & I agree, I'd have been gutted to have it paid against us.

wimberga
01-07-2014, 09:41 AM
I am completely fine with the rushed behind. If you are under pressure and had no prior, then its fine. If you had prior opportunity, didn't take it and then forced the ball over the line, then you should be pinged.

I don't quite understand why there is so much discussion about it, as it seemed quite clear to me that Bail had the ball for quite some time, running past teammates, before being forced over the line by some great defensive pressure from Stringer.

LostDoggy
01-07-2014, 10:13 AM
I am completely fine with the rushed behind. If you are under pressure and had no prior, then its fine. If you had prior opportunity, didn't take it and then forced the ball over the line, then you should be pinged.

I don't quite understand why there is so much discussion about it, as it seemed quite clear to me that Bail had the ball for quite some time, running past teammates, before being forced over the line by some great defensive pressure from Stringer.

Yep, don't see how this differs from the same scenario around the ground near the line. A player would rarely run over the line after doing what Bail did, but it's somehow okay to take the easy option near goal?

jeemak
01-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Yep, don't see how this differs from the same scenario around the ground near the line. A player would rarely run over the line after doing what Bail did, but it's somehow okay to take the easy option near goal?

I don't like that he started ten metres away from the line and ignored options wide of himself, with only one clear intention.

LostDoggy
01-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Banker - Macca for showing faith in Bonti and moving him forward for the last 6/7 minutes. We have all questioned his match day tatics at times, but this was a winner.

Banker - Bonti, not only for the GOTY effort, but also he's ability to not drop his head after the missed tackle which gifted Grimes a goal. He's ability to knuckle down and kick the last 2 goals of the game after that just speaks volumes.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Bankers:

1/ Young Honeychurch for kicking a goal with his first kick and his relentless tackling throughout the match.

2/ Credit to all members of our undersized backline for keeping Melbourne to a losing score.

3/ Bonti's clutch goal. One for the ages.

Anchors:

Not this week.

whythelongface
02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
1/ Higgins effort in the last running back and spoiling the Melbourne player (Jamar?, Dawes?) and then collecting the ball cleanly and stopping what looked like a certain Melbourne goal (although IIRC they scored a goal shortly thereafter - think it was the 50m penalty that Picken gave away);

2/ Grinding out a win after letting Melbourne back into the game. Great effort from our young side who will learn a lot from that game. Also great to see our experienced players lead the way as well - Boyd, Higgins, Murphy in particular.

3/ Honeychurch, Darley and Bonts - three first year players on our list who will form part of an exciting nucleus of players in the years ahead

Remi Moses
03-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Kudos to Higgins he was massively outsized and yet showed the desperation required to win the ball.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Bankers:

1/ Young Honeychurch for kicking a goal with his first kick and his relentless tackling throughout the match.

2/ Credit to all members of our undersized backline for keeping Melbourne to a losing score.

3/ Bonti's clutch goal. One for the ages.

Anchors:

Not this week.

Honeychurch + Liberatore + Smith midfield = serious grunt.

jeemak
05-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Honeychurch + Liberatore + Smith midfield = serious grunt.

Add in Wallis. Once he's stronger through the core and legs he's going to be a very strong and hard midfielder.

Twodogs
05-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Bankers

Selectors. They cop a lot of flack but they bought Bontempelli in at the right time.
Bontempelli. He's just walked in and looks like he owns the place.
Honeychurch. Joined the exclusive first kick first goal club in both the AFL and the NAB challenge

Anchors

I must have complained bitterly about several things during the actual game but it's so long ago it's already entered into that lovely place where all the wins reside. Nothing went wrong the umpiring was adequate all of our kicks went unerringly into the chests of their intended targets hand balls into waiting the arms of players in acres of space and every shot at goal went soaring through at goalpost height.

josie
05-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Add in Wallis. Once he's stronger through the core and legs he's going to be a very strong and hard midfielder.

Hi Jeemak

I respect your opinion. I've got reservations about Wallis as I think he seems slow and his disposal not as reliable as Libber & some of the other young ones. I think his effort is A1 and his obviously a good bloke & popular. Of course hope he makes it and becomes a top liner too.

Do you see him playing in other positions other than midfield and do you think he will be an inside or outside player? Will he continue to be a tagger? Any other player you think he might end up being like?

boydogs
06-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Do you see him playing in other positions other than midfield and do you think he will be an inside or outside player? Will he continue to be a tagger? Any other player you think he might end up being like?

He has to be the next Boyd/Cross, serious deficiencies in their games too but through sheer hard work they became elite

jeemak
06-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Hi Jeemak

I respect your opinion. I've got reservations about Wallis as I think he seems slow and his disposal not as reliable as Libber & some of the other young ones. I think his effort is A1 and his obviously a good bloke & popular. Of course hope he makes it and becomes a top liner too.

He has to be the next Boyd/Cross, serious deficiencies in their games too but through sheer hard work they became elite

I think to this point Wallis has shown he can play a shut down roll, where he's not a tagger but he can nullify the influence of a good player from the opposition but get his own ball quite well. Some of his numbers as a nullifying player these past 24 months have been just as good as any other player in the competition playing his role.

His disposal by foot isn't as good as Libba's, and he's also not as strong as Libba just yet (which says a lot about the body Libba has right now and the work that has gone into it). What he does have though, which is just as good as anyone on our list is good hands in close.

Mitch is a midfielder waiting for Boyd to move on, whilst also waiting to get as strong as Boyd is (Mitch is only 21 BTW). Once he's had two or three more preseasons and is playing a defensive accumulator role for us in 2017 I'm pretty sure we'll value him just as much as anyone on our list. He had it easy in his last year in the U/18's due to his footy nous, but he's had a tougher run as a senior player because the players of his type across pretty much any list are bigger, stronger and just as skilled as he is.

Wait for it, Mitch will be just fine once he matures.