PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 16 vs Geelong

Eastdog
27-06-2014, 12:09 AM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 16 game against Geelong at Simonds Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Bloody hell, Geelong at Simonds. Tough ask, Roughy, Grant, Tutty, Griffen & Cooney hopefully in the frame.

boydogs
29-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Really depends on who comes up this week, but:

Out: Jones
In: Redpath

josie
29-06-2014, 05:53 PM
I thought the young 'uns all played well and deserved to keep their spot unless one of Griffen & Roughie or Grant make an extraordinary recovery. I agree with Gogriff - give Redpath a go - tough initiation though. I've got a feeling Campbell might get a gig in place of Jones and that'd be OK too.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-06-2014, 06:08 PM
In. Campbell
Out. Jones
A bit of magic from Bontempelli and the subbing of Jones got us over the line. Big Will was thrashed by Jamar in the hitouts and once again it highlights the stupidity of playing one ruckman.
Campbell was again BOG yesterday in the VFL

boydogs
29-06-2014, 06:20 PM
In. Campbell
Out. Jones
A bit of magic from Bontempelli and the subbing of Jones got us over the line. Big Will was thrashed by Jamar in the hitouts and once again it highlights the stupidity of playing one ruckman.
Campbell was again BOG yesterday in the VFL

Bringing Campbell in is trying to solve 2 problems with one bloke, who will spend 70% of his time in a role he hasn't been successful in.

Fletcher Roberts did a much better job in the ruck after Jones was subbed off

jeemak
29-06-2014, 06:25 PM
In - Campbell, Grant
Out - Jones, Honeychurch

Don't like only giving a kid a single game but we need Grant in the side and someone has to make way for him.

Will desperately needs some help and we need to start giving Campbell some games as he's earned them. The good sides have two rucks and we're exposed when we don't have Will performing well or taking a rest.

Jones was disappointing today. Managed three tackles but just couldn't get his hands on the ball and needs to go back and find some touch.

Greystache
29-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Asuming none of the players missing through injury are available

In- Campbell, Redpath

Out- Minson, Jones

Jones has been terrible 2 weeks in a row, it's time to give Redpath a go. Minson is getting slaughtered every week, it's time to move on and see where Campbell can take us. Roberts to pinch hit in the ruck.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Bringing Campbell in is trying to solve 2 problems with one bloke, who will spend 70% of his time in a role he hasn't been successful in.

Fletcher Roberts did a much better job in the ruck after Jones was subbed off
Roberts isn't a ruckman, Campbell is a ruckman. There is a big difference. Don't get me wrong I like Fletcher Roberts in the team but not as a make shift ruck man.

Bulldog4life
29-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Would like to see if any of our injured players are available. But I think Jones is on very thin ice.

G-Mo77
29-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Would like to see if any of our injured players are available. But I think Jones is on very thin ice.

I reckon that was his worst today. I think he's got the talent there but it's starting to become a real worry.

Bulldog4life
29-06-2014, 08:21 PM
I reckon that was his worst today. I think he's got the talent there but it's starting to become a real worry.

Yes I am a fan of his and would love him to be more consistent but he needs a stint in the ressies

jazzadogs
29-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Asuming none of the players missing through injury are available

In- Campbell, Redpath

Out- Minson, Jones

Jones has been terrible 2 weeks in a row, it's time to give Redpath a go. Minson is getting slaughtered every week, it's time to move on and see where Campbell can take us. Roberts to pinch hit in the ruck.

I thought Minson was actually quite good today, competing against Jamar and Gawn who are both big-bodied ruckmen who were wrestling and exhausting him all day. Still think he and Campbell can be an effective tag-team, so I would like to see Campbell come in for Jones.

Bottom few players today were probably Jones, Hrovat (was good when he came on), Honeychurch, Crameri. If Griff, Grant, Roughy all come up this week there will be a few unlucky players. Would be happy to see Cooney come back through Footscray when he's ready.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-06-2014, 10:18 PM
I think we should look at the Geelong game and just use it as a "blood kids game"

We can't win so rest anyone (Will) and play the young ones.

Don't bring back Griff, Coons or anyone else that is nit 110% fit.

Look to the week after IMO

LostDoggy
29-06-2014, 11:45 PM
I think we should look at the Geelong game and just use it as a "blood kids game"

We can't win so rest anyone (Will) and play the young ones.

Don't bring back Griff, Coons or anyone else that is nit 110% fit.

Look to the week after IMO
Why the hell not?

Jones out for Redpath, but I really want Roughie back if he's fit, will need him sorely.

bornadog
30-06-2014, 02:19 AM
Why the hell not?

Jones out for Redpath, but I really want Roughie back if he's fit, will need him sorely.

Yes we need someone to play on Hawkins, and Roughie is the man.

bornadog
30-06-2014, 02:20 AM
I thought Minson was actually quite good today, competing against Jamar and Gawn who are both big-bodied ruckmen who were wrestling and exhausting him all day. Still think he and Campbell can be an effective tag-team, so I would like to see Campbell come in for Jones.

Bottom few players today were probably Jones, Hrovat (was good when he came on), Honeychurch, Crameri. If Griff, Grant, Roughy all come up this week there will be a few unlucky players. Would be happy to see Cooney come back through Footscray when he's ready.

Minson double tagged every week, no wonder he is struggling. He needs help, but the MC just doesn't see it.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2014, 03:11 AM
Minson has been disapoiniting this season but I find the calls to drop him very harsh.

Before even considering dropping him, I would have Campbell come in to offer support. If we are going to do this I believe the ruck duties need to be shared more, not just 10-15% of the game when Will needs a rest.

I would go with a similar balance to Jamar/Gawn today. Give Will a bit more time up forward, swapping Campbell and Will around up forward. I think playing the vast majority of time up forward is not good for Campbell's development and sharing the duties with Will will do the opposite.

Hotdog60
30-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Will was absolutely buggered after the game, having a relief back up take a 5min spell is not enough.

G-Mo77
30-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Will was absolutely buggered after the game, having a relief back up take a 5min spell is not enough.

Which is why I think a rest wouldn't hurt. I'm not going to say drop him because of form, just rest. We also need to give Campbell some time as the #1 ruck. Even though Will needs help I still don't like the idea of playing he and Campbell in the same side.

Hotdog60
30-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Which is why I think a rest wouldn't hurt. I'm not going to say drop him because of form, just rest. We also need to give Campbell some time as the #1 ruck. Even though Will needs help I still don't like the idea of playing he and Campbell in the same side.

Apparently Tom has been performing well in the VFL, if he can provide a target up forward would you still want only one of Will or Tom?
I would keep Jones as the additional tall will help both players.

G-Mo77
30-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Apparently Tom has been performing well in the VFL, if he can provide a target up forward would you still want only one of Will or Tom?
I would keep Jones as the additional tall will help both players.

I'm only going on past games. We always seem to break down when they're both playing, Tom hits the deck and the ball is cleared way to easy. I'm not against playing him with Will I just have a feeling of what the outcome will be if we do.

Hotdog60
30-06-2014, 07:40 AM
I'm only going on past games. We always seem to break down when they're both playing, Tom hits the deck and the ball is cleared way to easy. I'm not against playing him with Will I just have a feeling of what the outcome will be if we do.

Fair enough, I would like to try both for a couple of games. Maybe a good foil would be Honeychurch at his feet. He's footy smart and aggressive.

jeemak
30-06-2014, 10:04 AM
What makes anyone think Campbell can ruck 85% of an AFL game by himself?

craigsahibee
30-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Whilst Will has been nowhere near his output of last year, I for one would still have him in our 22.

It was evident from early on yesterday that Jamar and Gawn were going to try and work him over by pushing forward as much as possible making Will run the length of the ground over and over again.

The repeated stoppages also takes its toll. Constant wrestling in ruck contests takes a lot out of him. One thing I noticed on a couple of occasions yesterday was when the umps came in to restart play they would throw the ball up just as Will had stood upright from the contest, often leaving him out of position with his opponent between him and the ball.

He definitely needs help and Campbell is the obvious choice, but does Tom give us enough up forward without detracting from the forward line?

Geelong don't have too many monster size defenders, Taylor being their best and he maybe in doubt this week. On the long narrow Simonds Stadium maybe we need to play Campbell deep forward as a replacement for Jones, but we need to be smart with our delivery (which is no different to every other week) and kick to his advantage and have crumbers at his feet.

Roughy if fit has to take Hawkins, otherwise Talia for Austin.

Griffen comes back for an unlucky youngster, probably Honeychurch. Stevens hasn't done a lot lately but his big body will be needed against the Cats. Use him as a defensive forward on Mackie.

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Rocco Jones
30-06-2014, 03:36 PM
If we play Will and Tom together it cannot be with Campbell just going into the ruck when Will has to rest. That is terrible for Tom as it really isn't his style. I like the idea of helping to develop Campbell rucking alongside Will and rotating them up forward. The Dees pinched a couple of goals from Jamar and Gawn despite neither being quality forward.

jeemak
30-06-2014, 04:27 PM
If we play Will and Tom together it cannot be with Campbell just going into the ruck when Will has to rest. That is terrible for Tom as it really isn't his style. I like the idea of helping to develop Campbell rucking alongside Will and rotating them up forward. The Dees pinched a couple of goals from Jamar and Gawn despite neither being quality forward.

I actually think Will can be more dangerous as a forward if Stinger, Crameri, Jones and Grant are all playing well, so having to spend more than three minutes a quarter up forward isn't so much an issue (meaning Campbell/Cordy can gain more ruck time when in the seniors).

bornadog
30-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Whilst Will has been nowhere near his output of last year, I for one would still have him in our 22.

It was evident from early on yesterday that Jamar and Gawn were going to try and work him over by pushing forward as much as possible making Will run the length of the ground over and over again.

The repeated stoppages also takes its toll. Constant wrestling in ruck contests takes a lot out of him. One thing I noticed on a couple of occasions yesterday was when the umps came in to restart play they would throw the ball up just as Will had stood upright from the contest, often leaving him out of position with his opponent between him and the ball.

Some good observations Craig, people forget the amount of work poor Will has to do. In the past Crossy would be third man up in these situations. We don't seem to deploy that tactic anymore.

Talking to Will about a month ago, he says he has noticed since his AA year, oppostion rucks have been putting more work into him. He needs help.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Some good observations Craig, people forget the amount of work poor Will has to do. In the past Crossy would be third man up in these situations. We don't seem to deploy that tactic anymore.

Talking to Will about a month ago, he says he has noticed since his AA year, oppostion rucks have been putting more work into him. He needs help.

I don't like to be critical of other posters opinion but the drop Will/just play as many kids as possible really is BigFooty-esque.

I really don't get the theory that playing as many kids as possible is best for development. When you play as many kids as possible it actually exposes them. You need senior players to help out. A good example the affect of Griff being out on Libba.

chef
30-06-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't like to be critical of other posters opinion but the drop Will/just play as many kids as possible really is BigFooty-esque.

I really don't get the theory that playing as many kids as possible is best for development. When you play as many kids as possible it actually exposes them. You need senior players to help out. A good example the affect of Griff being out on Libba.

It's past BigFooty-esque....it's ####### ridiculous.

GVGjr
30-06-2014, 07:50 PM

I think he would struggle with it. His fitness has improved but I think much more than 70% game time would test him.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2014, 07:51 PM
It's past BigFooty-esque....it's ####### ridiculous.

Look I really don't like criticising the opinion of others, I just really struggle with how much negativity he is facing. Just a few things:
- I know you can't live off past glories but he is a reigning AA ruck man. Also, has shown massive loyalty to the club (I know that doesn't save him from being dropped, just maybe less barbs)
- He had a very limited pre-season
- Takes the 1st ruck burden on like no other ruck man.

bornadog
30-06-2014, 08:25 PM

You have to have the right balance of young and old. Melbourne went too far in the past couple of years and have struggled to develop the younger players. We only had 4 players with more than 150 games, but not many between 100 to 150 (I think 2).

I think our balance will better in the next year or so.

G-Mo77
30-06-2014, 08:41 PM

If they play together then yeah this is how I'd like it to happen. In the past Campbell has came in and rucked a small percentage while Will has had the lions share. Campbell IMO has got to get some more time and responsibility as the #1 ruck. If that means give him more time with Will or a stint without Will I'm all for that.

That's disappointing to read. Not everyone is blindly throwing his name out there and saying drop him. Most have had valid arguments and reasoning.

Cyberdoggie
01-07-2014, 01:45 PM
I think we still are not addressing our weaknesses which is a lack of quality marking options/talls.

Down at the cattery the ground is narrower and longer than the Melbourne grounds, it's more like Subiaco,
which means less room to find space on the wings, easier to zone defence the space 1 kick ahead, forcing you to kick to a contest.

As we are the worst contested marking side in the competition this is a problem. Add to this Jones would get well and truly worked over by the Geelong defenders.

We need to be able to break lines quickly through the middle and have go to marking options like a Campbell and/or Redpath that at least can bring the ball to ground and not let their opponent take an uncontested mark.

If we go with the smaller Stringer, Jones, Grant forward combo this week we will get smashed.

Will Also struggle if we can't get Roughead on Hawkins.

In: Campbell, Redpath

out: Jones, Minson (don't want to drop him but perhaps needs a spell)

SlimPickens
01-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Look I really don't like criticising the opinion of others, I just really struggle with how much negativity he is facing. Just a few things:
- I know you can't live off past glories but he is a reigning AA ruck man. Also, has shown massive loyalty to the club (I know that doesn't save him from being dropped, just maybe less barbs)
- He had a very limited pre-season
- Takes the 1st ruck burden on like no other ruck man.

Will isn't beyond criticism however. He is having a pretty ordinary season, the reasons you are giving will certainly contribute but I think by round 15 we should be expecting better performances. The game against the Pies he was very good but since then has struggled. I've seen Tom Campbell play every game this year, his VFL form has been outstanding (massive chance to win the Liston)and more then any player on our list he deserves a game in the senior team.

I'm not saying drop Will but I would like to see Campbell get a run at AFL level as a ruckman. So if that means play Will forward for a week or two and pinch hit in the ruck i'd say do it.

bornadog
01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Will isn't beyond criticism however. He is having a pretty ordinary season, the reasons you are giving will certainly contribute but I think by round 15 we should be expecting better performances. The game against the Pies he was very good but since then has struggled. I've seen Tom Campbell play every game this year, his VFL form has been outstanding (massive chance to win the Liston)and more then any player on our list he deserves a game in the senior team.

I'm not saying drop Will but I would like to see Campbell get a run at AFL level as a ruckman. So if that means play Will forward for a week or two and pinch hit in the ruck i'd say do it.

Why not share the ruck duties 50/50 like Melbourne did. I think it can work, we can't have Will being double tagged every week.

Ozza
01-07-2014, 06:38 PM
I think the majority of posters don't want Will dropped - but would like to see either Campbell (in most cases) or Cordy, brought in to the side as ruck support/forward.

Overall - I would like to see Campbell come in to the side...but I must say - just not this week v Geelong (who have weak ruckman, and defend tall forward structures well).

LostDoggy
01-07-2014, 07:19 PM
I think the majority of posters don't want Will dropped - but would like to see either Campbell (in most cases) or Cordy, brought in to the side as ruck support/forward.

Overall - I would like to see Campbell come in to the side...but I must say - just not this week v Geelong (who have weak ruckman, and defend tall forward structures well).

I can't agree with your take on the Cat's ruckmen there, Ozza. Simpson is a good, hard tap ruckman and Blicavs is one of the best athletes in the competition. I think they will give whoever plays plenty to worry about.

SlimPickens
01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Why not share the ruck duties 50/50 like Melbourne did. I think it can work, we can't have Will being double tagged every week.

It's an interesting prospect but realistically we lauded Wills performance last year as a lone ruckman and he was honoured with all Australian selection and a top 3 in the B and F. He is doing a similar amount this year and is not performing to the same level..

jazzadogs
01-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Some stats from the Footscray game (bear in mind, played in terrible conditions at Simonds Stadium which will be very similar to the conditions on Sunday), for those interested:

Tom Campbell (145): 15K, 10HB, 12M, 4T, 25HO, 1G

Tom Young (123): 18K, 7HB, 12M, 5T

Michael Talia (93): 18K, 2HB, 9M, 2T

Ayce Cordy (74): 6K, 4HB, 2M, 4T, 30HO

Jason Johannisen (73): 12K, 6HB, 4M, 3T, 1G

Brett Goodes (71): 8K, 9HB, 2M, 5T, 2G

Christian Howard (69): 12K, 5HB, 5M, 2T

Jack Redpath (67): 10K, 2HB, 6M, 3T

n.b. the numbers in brackets are their Dreamteam scores (thanks to footyprophet.com).

F'scary
01-07-2014, 09:15 PM

One problem with playing two rucks is that, sorry, our #1 ruck is a lousy mark (and that includes chest marking on leads). Therefore, he cannot be rested in the FP as he scores zero as a strong grab threat.

jeemak
01-07-2014, 10:22 PM
One problem with playing two rucks is that, sorry, our #1 ruck is a lousy mark (and that includes chest marking on leads). Therefore, he cannot be rested in the FP as he scores zero as a strong grab threat.

Do you mean the Will Minson that kicked 19 goals in 2008 and 16 goals in 2009 as a ruckman that played less than 50% on the ball during those years as the second ruck?

I know he's not perfect, but since those years he basically played no time forward as we've decided that going with one ruck is our preferred option.

During those years when he did manage to kick some goals the only tall taking better defenders he had to take were Brad Johnson and Scott Welsh. Now with Liam Jones, Jake Stringer, Jarrad Grant and Stewart Crameri I think that we've got some players that ensure Will doesn't have to worry about getting the first or second best tall.

SonofScray
01-07-2014, 10:43 PM
I've been thinking about Wilbur a bit today and his form. He is a real barometer for us, I thought he was a solid contributor on the weekend but it is clear he is battling with the heavy workload he has in front of him. Battling manfully I might add, he is a good leader. It must be hard to go hammer and tong, contest after contest knowing what is front of you as a solo ruck man. Surely some self preservation creeps into your game. Opposition rucks are pushing hard forward and kicking goals, knowing they can exploit him.

I'd consider a few things:
1. Rest him. Assuming Campbell could carry his workload over a full AFL game. A bit too risky perhaps.
2. Bring in Campbell and work both through FF.
3. Play Campbell and Cordy as rotating rucks, resting Will.

Not sure what to do with Jones. I want to give Big Jack a game, Jones just didn't do enough to warrant not being in the mix for omission. On the replay though it was evident he did work hard and it was a far cry from his worst performance.

Probably have to look at Honeychurch out for Grant if he is good to go.
Roberts keeps his spot IMO. Maybe Darley moves over for Tutt if we want another offensive option.

always right
01-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Do you mean the Will Minson that kicked 19 goals in 2008 and 16 goals in 2009 as a ruckman that played less than 50% on the ball during those years as the second ruck?

I know he's not perfect, but since those years he basically played no time forward as we've decided that going with one ruck is our preferred option.

During those years when he did manage to kick some goals the only tall taking better defenders he had to take were Brad Johnson and Scott Welsh. Now with Liam Jones, Jake Stringer, Jarrad Grant and Stewart Crameri I think that we've got some players that ensure Will doesn't have to worry about getting the first or second best tall.
And not too many years ago Will was instructed to bring the ball to ground for our smaller forwards. No reason why he can't play a similar role again. We need Will to crash packs.

Twodogs
02-07-2014, 01:07 AM
We are sort of stuck with two taggers in the team so we are going to have to tag at least one of their mids. It will be Wallis I guess because Pickens has more places around the ground he can play in.

Who will Mitch Wallis stand next to all afternoon?

Hotdog60
02-07-2014, 06:43 AM
We are sort of stuck with two taggers in the team so we are going to have to tag at least one of their mids. It will be Wallis I guess because Pickens has more places around the ground he can play in.

Who will Mitch Wallis stand next to all afternoon?
Selwood if he plays I guess or Bartel.

always right
02-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Selwood if he plays I guess or Bartel.

Wallis to Selwood.....Picken to Motlop.

LostDoggy
02-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Wallis to Selwood.....Picken to Motlop.

Would you keep Wallis on Selwood if he spends about 40/50% of the game forward like he has in recent weeks?

always right
02-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Would you keep Wallis on Selwood if he spends about 40/50% of the game forward like he has in recent weeks?

Perhaps Picken takes either when they go forward while Wallis takes either when they go into the midfield. Come unstuck a bit when they both push forward.:confused:

Happy Days
02-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Just finished watching the game finally;

In: Grant (if fit)/Campbell, Talia

Out: Jones, Austin

Jones can't play next week, and I know Campbell has been bad as a forward this year but I still have him ahead of Redpath who I can't bring myself to rate.

Austin is...not good and there's a lot more upside in playing Talia, who's strung some good performances together and can easily play on and beat a guy like Shane Kersten.

The Underdog
02-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I'd bring Campbell in for Jones, but any other changes really rely on the fitness of Griffen, Roughead & Grant. They all come in if fit, but it's an if at the moment.

The Pie Man
02-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Calls for Austin to be dropped.....why? Can't understand the bad wrap he gets sometimes.

In: Grant
Out: Jones

Wouldn't mind seeing Campbell for Jones (in which case, Honeychurch would be my unlucky one for Grant) just don't think they'll do it.

Remi Moses
02-07-2014, 05:16 PM
In Grant
Out Jones
Thought Austin was solid to be honest.

Twodogs
02-07-2014, 05:35 PM
I thought Austin did some good things on Sunday. A couple of times he got a bit overambiitious and got himself in some strife bit apart from that he was solid. Who did he play on?

The Bulldogs Bite
02-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Pretty sure Austin took the resting ruck (Jamar and Gawn). He competed OK.

Happy Days
02-07-2014, 06:03 PM
A major weakness in his game is how easily he goes to ground, it really means the best we can hope for is that he breaks even in a contest.

Plus, in all honesty, I'd rather the game time go to Talia, who is being really undersold at the minute.

Go_Dogs
02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
A major weakness in his game is how easily he goes to ground, it really means the best we can hope for is that he breaks even in a contest.

Plus, in all honesty, I'd rather the game time go to Talia, who is being really undersold at the minute.

Talia still has some things to work on and given we are playing Roberts I'm happy to continue with Austin at the moment.

Like others, I think Austin has been solid for us and whilst he's never going to be a star he can play a role in our 22 for the next 5 years. Talia will get his opportunities soon enough.

Agree with the calls to bring in Campbell, probably at the expense of Jones but I could see Jones staying in. Consistency is still his weakness but I'm of the view he's going to improve it continuing to have to work on AFL level key defenders.

Going to be some solid debate at the selection table this week I suspect.

SonofScray
02-07-2014, 07:07 PM
So long as Austin sticks to spoiling the footy, pushing the ball long and wide exclusively, he is good value. Ask him to jump into the play, or make decision on which way we break out of the back 50 and he loses value.

Twodogs
02-07-2014, 08:52 PM
So long as Austin sticks to spoiling the footy, pushing the ball long and wide exclusively, he is good value. Ask him to jump into the play, or make decision on which way we break out of the back 50 and he loses value.

It seems to me that the first thing a tall defender learns to do at AFL level these days is learn when to enter a marking contest and punch the ball away and then they learn to dispose of the ball in the safest manner possible. If he gets the first couple of things right on a consistent basis the confidence might grow in him to learn the rest of a key defenders job.

The Underdog
03-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Macca just announced Redpath to play this week. Griff & Roughy if they get through training today.

craigsahibee
03-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Macca just announced Redpath to play this week. Griff & Roughy if they get through training today.

Like this. I just want to see him have a crack for a month.

ledge
03-07-2014, 12:05 PM
On Redpath I think he is slow and if the ball isn't delivered to him he won't get near it, the way we deliver into the forward line at times worries me he won't get a good chance at it.

whythelongface
03-07-2014, 12:07 PM

If this is the case the likely out is Jones. Can't see who else he would replace.

Greystache
03-07-2014, 12:26 PM
On Redpath I think he is slow and if the ball isn't delivered to him he won't get near it, the way we deliver into the forward line at times worries me he won't get a good chance at it.

Redpath is one of the quickest players off the mark at the club.

ledge
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Lets just hope we deliver it near him, he is huge and will break packs.

LostDoggy
03-07-2014, 12:51 PM
"It's fantastic for Jack, he was tracking really well as a young player, and has overcome a couple of knee reconstructions," coach Brendan McCartney said on Thursday.

Really? He's been here for 3 years and hasn't had a reco?

lemmon
03-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Perhaps he meant as an under-ager and that's why he wasn't picked up in the first place? Not sure

Bulldog Joe
03-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Perhaps he meant as an under-ager and that's why he wasn't picked up in the first place? Not sure

It was widely quoted when we drafted Jack.

He had resumed playing at Kyneton in mid season 2011 after a second knee reconstruction.

Twodogs
03-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I must have read it and forgot it straight away because I've seen that quote before.

chef
03-07-2014, 03:18 PM
About time. Good luck Jack.

The Underdog
03-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Who does everyone see as the closest Bulldog comp to Redpath?
Nathan Saunders? Kingsley Hunter? Trent Bartlett? A better Adam Morgan?

LostDoggy
03-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Such a divide in opinion with Jack.

jeemak
03-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Such a divide in opinion with Jack.

It will be interesting to see how harshly or positively he'll be judged after the game if he has a quiet start.

The Underdog
03-07-2014, 04:54 PM
It will be interesting to see how harshly or positively he'll be judged after the game if he has a quiet start.

I was obviously being tongue in cheek with my post, partially as a reminder of some of our glorious past key forward hopes and partially in the hope that people don't build him up and expect too much from him, especially against a couple of strong defenders at Geelong. I've honestly got no idea if he'll be any good long term. From what I've seen in the VFL, he doesn't blow me away but he does have some attributes which will hopefully translate. Best of luck to him. No one will be happier than me if he makes it in the end.

jeemak
03-07-2014, 04:58 PM
I was obviously being tongue in cheek with my post, partially as a reminder of some of our glorious past key forward hopes and partially in the hope that people don't build him up and expect too much from him, especially against a couple of strong defenders at Geelong. I've honestly got no idea if he'll be any good long term. From what I've seen in the VFL, he doesn't blow me away but he does have some attributes which will hopefully translate. Best of luck to him. No one will be happier than me if he makes it in the end.

All power to you, I didn't take your post too seriously.

There's different rules and judgements for different players on our list, and it will be interesting to see which way it goes for Jack.

I'm looking forward to his debut. Not expecting a lot of output at this early stage. If he can take three or four grabs for the day, get involved and bring others into the game due to his aerial presence, as well as snag one or two I'll be happy with that.

Mofra
03-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Ja, I have to admit I don't have the hope for him others do but I'd love to see him kick a goal, just to get that monkey off his back.
Always great to see debutants kick their first goal. If he chases and takes a couple of grabs as well, all good.

Unfortunately any tall who gets a chance in our forward line is always subject to the talk of "is this our savior" rather than "can he be a best 22 AFL footballer".

The Bulldogs Bite
03-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Unfortunately any tall who gets a chance in our forward line is always subject to the talk of "is this our savior" rather than "can he be a best 22 AFL footballer".

Yep, which is why I think we need to target two tall forwards either through the draft/trade/FA periods. Too easy to clamp down on one, and right now, our most promising tall is Jones which says a lot.

On Redpath, I did predict this last week. He should have played last week, but hopefully he can contribute v Geelong and v Gold Coast but both will be extremely difficult. I hope we don't can him after a quiet performance.

G-Mo77
03-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Round 16 - Geelong Cats vs Western Bulldogs
Sunday 6 July 2014, 4:40pm
Venue: Simonds Stadium

Full back L Picken J Roughead M Austin
Half back R Murphy D Morris E Wood
Centreline M Bontempelli M Boyd S Higgins
Half forward K Stevens S Crameri L Hunter
Full forward L Dahlhaus J Redpath N Hrovat
Followers W Minson R Griffen T Liberatore
Interchange (from) M Wallis J Stringer J Macrae
J Tutt F Roberts M Honeychurch
T Campbell

Jones and Darley out.

Darley pretty stiff to get dropped.

whythelongface
03-07-2014, 07:40 PM
5 ins Roughie, Griff, Tutt, Redpath, Campbell
Outs Jones Darley

Redpath named at FF.

G-Mo77
03-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Beat ya :)

The Underdog
03-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Harsh on Darley. Thought he was ok last week.
Tough to pick the bench though. Honeychurch could miss too.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Darley very stiff.

Will be interesting to see who is picked. Honeychurch and Roberts probably to miss, and both also a little stiff, especially Fletch IMO.

G-Mo77
03-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Honeychurch sub is my pick.

Roberts the other to miss.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-07-2014, 08:05 PM

I think the fact that we are dropping someone who wasn't awful is testament to the positive impact of having our own VFL side and an indication that our list is slowly getting better depth wise. It seems that we are creating a much more competitive environment to get a spot in the 22. That sort of situation is a good thing and hopefully leads to even more improvement from those wanting to secure a place in the 1sts.

Go_Dogs
03-07-2014, 08:16 PM
I think the fact that we are dropping someone who wasn't awful is testament to the positive impact of having our own VFL side and an indication that our list is slowly getting better depth wise. It seems that we are creating a much more competitive environment to get a spot in the 22. That sort of situation is a good thing and hopefully leads to even more improvement from those wanting to secure a place in the 1sts.

Totally agree. Hard call to make but given the quality of players available can't argue with it.

Looking forward to Sunday!

F'scary
03-07-2014, 08:26 PM
I think the last three named will be the emergencies. Tutt sub

I am looking forward to seeing how Jack "The Widow-Maker" Redpath goes. My tip is that he will get 4....weeks.

westdog54
03-07-2014, 08:32 PM

Agree with you but someone has to make way for the skipper.

Remi Moses
03-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Bit harsh on Darley, but I guess it's a nice problem.

boydogs
03-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Who does everyone see as the closest Bulldog comp to Redpath?
Nathan Saunders? Kingsley Hunter? Trent Bartlett? A better Adam Morgan?

Chris Grant. Chris was 193cm 99kg, Jack is 194cm 100kg. Both are not known for their mobility but are good marks and have good foot skills. Jack obviously hasn't earned this comparison at this point but I see them as similar types of players

F'scary
03-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Chris Grant. Chris was 193cm 99kg, Jack is 194cm 100kg. Both are not known for their mobility but are good marks and have good foot skills. Jack obviously hasn't earned this comparison at this point but I see them as similar types of players

Surely you are talking about Grant towards the end of his illustrious career? For the major part of it he was quick, agile and had a huge tank.

boydogs
03-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Surely you are talking about Grant towards the end of his illustrious career? For the major part of it he was quick, agile and had a huge tank.

I remember him more for his sublime skills off both feet, great hands & strength in a marking contest and goal sense than for running his opponents around all day

F'scary
03-07-2014, 10:29 PM
I remember him more for his sublime skills off both feet, great hands & strength in a marking contest and goal sense than for running his opponents around all day

Very true but for his first 3 to 5 seasons they couldn't keep up with him either.

The Underdog
03-07-2014, 10:52 PM

I'll assume we're both taking the piss

westdog54
03-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Bit harsh on Darley, but I guess it's a nice problem.

At least we know now that he has shown some value. He'll get more chances.

boydogs
04-07-2014, 12:12 AM
I'll assume we're both taking the piss

Nope. One for BT's unpopular opinions thread

bulldogtragic
04-07-2014, 12:15 AM

:) my memory says I wasn't brave enough to start that thread. I thought it was the gogriff's unpopular opinions thread!:)

divvydan
04-07-2014, 01:20 AM
People expecting Tutt to come straight back in or is he still on the borderline given his season so far?

Mantis
04-07-2014, 09:11 AM
People expecting Tutt to come straight back in or is he still on the borderline given his season so far?

I'm not expecting him to play.

My bench is Macrae, Stringer, Wallis & Roberts... I think Roberts has to play.

soupman
04-07-2014, 09:18 AM
The bench is obviously going to include Wallis, Stringer and Macrae, so the last spot is out of Roberts, Tutt, Honeychurch and Campbell.

If we go tall it'll probably be Roberts, and small you would think Honeychurch, who would be sub.

Wouldn't be surprised to see both play, with a late change bringing Roberts into the side. We seem to like doing that.

westdog54
04-07-2014, 09:24 AM
I'm not expecting him to play.

My bench is Macrae, Stringer, Wallis & Roberts... I think Roberts has to play.

When I first read that I disagreed with it, basis being that I thought Honeychurch deserved another game and Roberts might make us too tall and immobile down back but the more I think about it the more I'm thinking you're right. With Blicavs, McIntosh and Hawkins all named up forward that is some very, very tall timber to cover, especially if Blicavs, McIntosh and Simpson all rotate through the ruck at some stage. Minson will get monstered if this happens.

Having said that though, does Campbell come in to assist with ruck duties?

How do you see the defensive match ups as named?

With the team on the park at the moment, I have Roughead going to Hawkins, Austin takes McIntosh/the resting ruck, Morris goes to Blicavs, Murphy to Stevie J, Picken blankets Motlop and Wood looks after Christensen. Does Wood have the strength and smarts to have a crack at Johnson?

Mantis
04-07-2014, 09:43 AM

No.. I can't see a forwardline containing Campbell/Minson, Redpath & Crameri being mobile enough.

I would be using Roberts & Roughy (shoulder pending) to take ruck duties.

With the team on the park at the moment, I have Roughead going to Hawkins, Austin takes McIntosh/the resting ruck, Morris goes to Blicavs, Murphy to Stevie J, Picken blankets Motlop and Wood looks after Christensen. Does Wood have the strength and smarts to have a crack at Johnson?

Sounds about right, but Stevie J will play probably more midfield than forward, well at least he has been.. I wouldn't mind seeing Wallis run with SJ. Blicavs has been playing back hasn't he?? Higgins will probably play back a bit too.. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to Duncan.

Ozza
04-07-2014, 09:52 AM
When I first read that I disagreed with it, basis being that I thought Honeychurch deserved another game and Roberts might make us too tall and immobile down back but the more I think about it the more I'm thinking you're right. With Blicavs, McIntosh and Hawkins all named up forward that is some very, very tall timber to cover, especially if Blicavs, McIntosh and Simpson all rotate through the ruck at some stage. Minson will get monstered if this happens.

These days Stevie J plays as a genuine midfielder, so I don't expect Wood or Murphy to get him apart from when he does a short stint forward. Wood will end up on whoever plays deepest of the mid/small sized forwards.

Will be interesting to see if Bartel plays forward or back. And same with Harry Taylor. Would not be surprised if Blicavs played back, and Taylor forward.

They have Guthrie named half back - but he will play mid and tag Griffen or Libba.

The Underdog
04-07-2014, 10:02 AM

I don't think Redpath will ever be as flexible as Grant was. Granty could play nearly any position on the ground but he was a special and sublime talent. I can't see Redpath ever being much of a success anywhere other than key forward. For context, by the time Grant was Redpath's age, he'd played 100+ games and kicked 250+ goals. I'd be amazed if Redpath reaches those in his career but as I've said, I'd be happy to be wrong. Good luck to him on Sunday, hopefully he can contribute.

Mofra
04-07-2014, 10:35 AM
No.. I can't see a forwardline containing Campbell/Minson, Redpath & Crameri being mobile enough.
Crameri is one of the best runners at the club.
Redpath, for all his shortcomings, isn't slow either.

Ozza
04-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Crameri is one of the best runners at the club.
Redpath, for all his shortcomings, isn't slow either.

I think Mantis might be talking more about agility (in terms of mobility) rather than straight line running - from a defensive aspect, or a 'well then ball hits the ground' perspective - Redpath/Crameri/Stringer/Minson or Campbell - is a bit on the clunky side.

Mantis
04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
I think Mantis might be talking more about agility (in terms of mobility) rather than straight line running - from a defensive aspect, or a 'well then ball hits the ground' perspective - Redpath/Crameri/Stringer/Minson or Campbell - is a bit on the clunky side.

Spot on.

Crameri for all his abilities as an elite runner is very poor defensively.

jeemak
04-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Crameri averages 2.7 tackles a game which is more than Stringer and Jones, but also more than Wood, Murphy and Morris, whilst just being .3 tackles shy of Hunter's average.

Not sure whether that's good or bad as I don't really have the time to go into numbers from other clubs, though it would be interesting to see how he stacks up against their similar players.

Defensive work isn't just tackling either. He does do quite a lot of running to get numbers back to block space, sometimes I think to the detriment of his attacking work.

Mofra
04-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Crameri averages 2.7 tackles a game which is more than Stringer and Jones, but also more than Wood, Murphy and Morris, whilst just being .3 tackles shy of Hunter's average.

Not sure whether that's good or bad as I don't really have the time to go into numbers from other clubs, though it would be interesting to see how he stacks up against their similar players.

Defensive work isn't just tackling either. He does do quite a lot of running to get numbers back to block space, sometimes I think to the detriment of his attacking work.
Crameri certainly works hard, his running off the ball is excellent. I'd love to see his kms per game.

2.7 tackles seems pretty good for a tallish forward, considering it's near Jack Riewoldt at his best (who has lead the KPF tackle count in previous years) and much higher than our last genuine key target (Hall).

1eyedog
04-07-2014, 04:02 PM

And one had a heap of skill and the other had a few skills.

Hope Jack goes well.

divvydan
04-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Final changes:

Griffen, Roughead, Redpath in for Roberts, Darley, Jones.

I assume if Roughead doesn't come up, Roberts will play and Tutt likewise for Griffen.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Hard to argue with those changes.

Nice to see Honeychurch given another shot at it. Although he didn't get much of it last week, I thought the signs were OK. He was still competing hard, and made some good defensive efforts late.

jeemak
04-07-2014, 07:15 PM

Nice to see Honeychurch given another shot at it. Although he didn't get much of it last week, I thought the signs were OK. He was still competing hard, and made some good defensive efforts late.

Yeah I thought he'd be a chance to make way for Grant, though I'm happy he gets another shot at it.

Happy Days
05-07-2014, 02:45 PM

Would have kept Roberts in ahead of Austin, but it's not a massive deal.