PDA

View Full Version : Goal of The Year 2014

bulldogtragic
29-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Thank you Marcus!

My god that's excited as I've been since a child.

boydogs
29-06-2014, 05:06 PM
If you missed it, make sure you watch it on replay. WOW

bornadog
29-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Go here to check it out : http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/15/wb-v-melb

He is such a quick thinker. Just before he kicks it, goes to lay off a handpass, decides no and then swings around and bang.

josie
29-06-2014, 05:48 PM
I've been a member since 1998, and that's one of the best goals I've seen. The cheer squad were agog/ecstatic. I loved the "Bonti" chant afterwards too. Thanks Bonti - you star !!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
29-06-2014, 05:49 PM
He just kept fighting for the ball and kicked it with his right!

anfo27
29-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Thats goal of the year for mine.

Is that a firstdogonthemoon sign held up by someone in the crowd?

ledge
29-06-2014, 06:06 PM
This kid kicked the last two I think and the kid is way above his age in maturity,class and confidence.

SonofScray
29-06-2014, 06:12 PM
That sort of play will make you fall in love with football. Easily in the top 5 goals I've ever seen kicked in red, white and blue.

LostDoggy
29-06-2014, 06:15 PM
I hate James Brayshaw but watching the replay summed it up beautifully: if that doesn't get you off the couch nothing will.

westdog54
29-06-2014, 06:21 PM
I hate James Brayshaw but watching the replay summed it up beautifully: if that doesn't get you off the couch nothing will.

What do you think of Anthony Hudson then? He was calling.

SonofScray
29-06-2014, 06:22 PM

I rate Huddo, the media needs more people of his skill and less brain dead ex players like Alistair Lynch.

westdog54
29-06-2014, 06:43 PM
I rate Huddo, the media needs more people of his skill and less brain dead ex players like Alistair Lynch.

So do I. One of the better match callers going around.

I don't think I will ever get sick of watching that goal. Ever.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Amazing and to think he is a Bulldog.

Composure, skill, class and an unbelievable level head with the interview with Barry Hall after the game.

My God I was excited.

LostDoggy
29-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Ah, sorry, thought it was Brayshaw.

Eastdog
29-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Was at the game and was out of my seat when he scored it. Great stuff.

G-Mo77
29-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Best goal I have seen from a player in all my years attending football matches.

Dry Rot
29-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Stevie Johnson watching at home "Wish I'd kicked that"

jazzadogs
29-06-2014, 08:41 PM
The work without the ball in hand was the most impressive part about it. There would have been three or four 'pressure acts' before he even got possession of the ball, which isn't well captured in the replay on the AFL website.

Super goal.

azabob
29-06-2014, 08:43 PM
The work without the ball in hand was the most impressive part about it. There would have been three or four 'pressure acts' before he even got possession of the ball, which isn't well captured in the replay on the AFL website.

Super goal.

There is a longer clip one the website than the one attached.

Super goal.

craigsahibee
29-06-2014, 08:56 PM
I think I'll go and watch this goal again and have a little "quiet time" ;)

bulldogtragic
29-06-2014, 09:02 PM
The more I see it the more amazing it is.

The grunt work before.
Time of the game.
State of the game.
Place on the ground.
Pressure.
Speed.
Fatigue.
5 opponents chasing him.
The effort.
The skill.
The wrong foot.
The finish.
The win.

I think we've done the best ever goal from a FFC/WBFC player, this has to be close if not it.

always right
29-06-2014, 09:04 PM

The grunt work before.
Time of the game.
State of the game.
Place on the ground.
Pressure.
Speed.
Fatigue.
5 opponents chasing him.
The effort.
The skill.
The finish.
The win.

I think we've done the best ever goal from a FFC/WBFC player, this has to be close if not it.

Right up there but not quite as good as that goal by Chris Grant.

SlimPickens
29-06-2014, 09:10 PM

The grunt work before.
Time of the game.
State of the game.
Place on the ground.
Pressure.
Speed.
Fatigue.
5 opponents chasing him.
The effort.
The skill.
The finish.
The win.

And it was on his non preferred foot!

azabob
29-06-2014, 09:41 PM
The funniest part was everyone was looking to see if it went through, except for Honeychurch who had both arms up before it had gone through.

Other than the goal it was good to see team mates hang back and wait for a handball and create space rather than run in and crowd his space. Something we have been poor at previously.

bornadog
29-06-2014, 09:42 PM
And it was on his non preferred foot!

Gee, forgot that he was a left footer, makes it even more spectacular.

firstdogonthemoon
29-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Thats goal of the year for mine.

Is that a firstdogonthemoon sign held up by someone in the crowd?

It is! It says "Get a stick and stick it up 'em"

Got to say I am pretty excited to be even remotely involved with what has to be the goal of the year and that I am confident he wouldn't have kicked it if that sign hadn't been held up afterward.

anfo27
29-06-2014, 10:06 PM
It is! It says "Get a stick and stick it up 'em"

Got to say I am pretty excited to be even remotely involved with what has to be the goal of the year and that I am confident he wouldn't have kicked it if that sign hadn't been held up afterward.

Well you're part of history now! Any copyright issues there?

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/38afa861404f1575f842448b01b2abf7.gif

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Just incredible.

Best goal I've seen from a Dogs player, and possibly any player, given all the circumstances (youth, difficulty, pressure acts, non-preferred, angle, pressure, the moment of the game).

bornadog
30-06-2014, 01:48 AM
I will say one of the best I have seen, but still rank Chris Grant's goal on the left foot against Essendon in 2000 as the best.

This kid will be a champion, can see it now.

Eastdog
30-06-2014, 01:56 AM
I will say one of the best I have seen, but still rank Chris Grant's goal on the left foot against Essendon in 2000 as the best.

This kid will be a champion, can see it now.

Murph's goal when we played Brisbane Round 1 2013 was great as well.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2014, 01:57 AM
How good was it being at the ground live and witnessing it?

EVERY supporter stood up in absolute unison - was an amazing feeling.

Eastdog
30-06-2014, 01:59 AM

Agree it was fantastic TBB.

bornadog
30-06-2014, 02:22 AM
Murph's goal when we played Brisbane Round 1 2013 was great as well.

Grant's like Bonti's was different. Not just the difficulty of the shot, but the game on the line and doing something special to win the game.

The Pie Man
30-06-2014, 09:31 AM
One of the few pluses of standing at the footy - amongst the robust banter and beer spilling hugs of Hunter's goal was the opportunity to turn around and take a running jump for joy at the GOTY

Ozza
30-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Was unbelievable. Was also great when Bonti delivered his signed footy to the crowd and the reception he received in the forward pocket was great.

I've watched the replay (of the goal) on the AFL app 15 or 20 times....Huddo is a gun caller, and he captured the moment pretty well!

azabob
30-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Was unbelievable. Was also great when Bonti delivered his signed footy to the crowd and the reception he received in the forward pocket was great.

I've watched the replay (of the goal) on the AFL app 15 or 20 times....Huddo is a gun caller, and he captured the moment pretty well!

Who is the other caller who was more interested in asking why Frawley didn't rush it through? So glad Hudson brought the conversation back to the goal.

craigsahibee
30-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Just watched it again. This time I focused on Jack Watts. Has there ever been a player less willing to get involved in a contest? I hope he is a 10 year plus player for Melbourne because if he is, that cesspit of an organisation is going nowhere.

Just love beating them more than any other club.

Ozza
30-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Who is the other caller who was more interested in asking why Frawley didn't rush it through? So glad Hudson brought the conversation back to the goal.

That was Alistair Lynch. He's never been a fan of ours! And is a dud commentator anyway.

Huddo definitely dragged him kicking and screaming back to talking about Bonti.

"IF THAT DOESN'T GET YOU OFF THE COUCH, THEN NOTHING WILL!"

Murphy'sLore
30-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Brilliant!

Yesterday when it looked as if we were going to throw away our 37 point lead and you're thinking, why do we bother, THAT happens! That's the kind of moment that makes it all worth while. So happy for Bonti.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Remember this kid is 18 and doesnt turn 19 until November. The fact that he is the youngest of his age group yet is probably the best out of the lot says a lot about the player he is and will become.
Amazing poise, ability and level-headedness. He will be an absolute star. Pair him with Macrae who is almost an identical player and our midfield looks dam good for the future :)

The Pie Man
30-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Just watched it again. This time I focused on Jack Watts. Has there ever been a player less willing to get involved in a contest? I hope he is a 10 year plus player for Melbourne because if he is, that cesspit of an organisation is going nowhere.

We goaled from one of their kick outs in the last quarter where they played on from the kick in - Watts was on the flank, but ran off the ground just before the ball was being kicked from the pocket out - I think it's fair to say they have a much better chance of breaking even/winning that contest on the flank if he did what he should've and helped out.

He even looked back half way off the ground but just kept jogging to the boundary. Staggering lack of game awareness

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 12:12 PM
We goaled from one of their kick outs in the last quarter where they played on from the kick in - Watts was on the flank, but ran off the ground just before the ball was being kicked from the pocket out - I think it's fair to say they have a much better chance of breaking even/winning that contest on the flank if he did what he should've and helped out.

He even looked back half way off the ground but just kept jogging to the boundary. Staggering lack of game awareness

Yep, that's what made it even more staggering, the fact he looked back and saw the ball coming in his direction.

Was Macrae tagged? He had a couple of really good moments but I remember thinking after the game he hasn't got alot of ball. Only 15 touches for him is well down.

always right
30-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Yep, that's what made it even more staggering, the fact he looked back and saw the ball coming in his direction.

Was Macrae tagged? He had a couple of really good moments but I remember thinking after the game he hasn't got alot of ball. Only 15 touches for him is well down.

Nicholson ran with him all day. He's going to have to get used to it.

Ozza
30-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Yes, tagged by Nicholson.

Was good to see that even on a quiet day - he got himself involved with some good pieces of play in the last quarter.

Templeton31
30-06-2014, 12:59 PM
it was unbelievable goal. with kicking the 2nd last goal it reminded me of the game against the then reigning premier Brisbane Lions when Judd kicked 5 as a 18-19yo. You knew that day Judd was gonna be a player and yesterday I thought the same about Bonti.

bornadog
30-06-2014, 09:39 PM

I have watched it a few times. Notice the great tackle from Crameri and the balls spills for Bonti to pick it up. The rest of Melbourne were seemingly just standing around.

josie
30-06-2014, 10:00 PM
I have watched it a few times. Notice the great tackle from Crameri and the balls spills for Bonti to pick it up. The rest of Melbourne were seemingly just standing around.

Good pick up Bornadog. There has been a few WOOF'ers wondering about Crameri's form. I know he has not been a red hot as he was earlier this year, however I think he usually runs his guts out & tries hard and helps with goal assists etc.

Also great to see the longer version of Bonti's goal of the year is available - it makes it that more special.

Agree that goal by Grant in 2000 was very special too. Both pressure kicks in final throes of Q4.

craigsahibee
30-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Yes the whole of our forward line is greater than the sum of its parts.

Twodogs
01-07-2014, 11:25 AM
How many times has everyone watched it? I reckon that I've seen it close to fifty times! The little kid in the crowd wearing the beanie jumping up and down pumping their fists in the air gets me every time.

Mofra
01-07-2014, 12:03 PM
I've only just arrived back from Borneo, I would have watched it 20 times on the shitty local broadband. Brilliant goal

azabob
01-07-2014, 01:11 PM
He even looked to give off the handball to I think Honeychurch, only then did he decide to take the shot himself.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Some might think after over 48 hours, one would get sick of watching the replay of Bonts goal... Not me! :)

bornadog
01-07-2014, 06:17 PM
He even looked to give off the handball to I think Honeychurch, only then did he decide to take the shot himself.

That was brilliant decision making, saw Honeychurch was not an option and then had a shot. Stevens would have given it off to Honeychurch :D

SonofScray
01-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Grant v Essendon
Bontempelli v Demons
Billy Kolynuik v Magpies

My three all time great Footscray goals.

always right
01-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Grant v Essendon
Bontempelli v Demons
Billy Kolynuik v Magpies

Yep...they're the big three. Billy's goal gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

jeemak
01-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Grant v Essendon
Bontempelli v Demons
Billy Kolynuik v Magpies

Yep...they're the big three. Billy's goal gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

Billy's goal was something else, wasn't it. So so good.

For context they're all just as good as each other, technical difficulty I have Grant's as number one. It was deliberate on his opposite, no doubt about it at any stage.

Bonts goal was great, unbelievable in fact, but it was a touch less pressurised due to the frenetic pace of the game.

jeemak
01-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Billy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCBGfn-WFw

Chris (25k, 3hb, 12m 82% eff):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdNXJyq8TuE

Marcus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wiwNC3UkP8

The Bulldogs Bite
02-07-2014, 12:30 AM
Three amazing goals.

Grant's might win on the moment/opposition, but I still think Bonti's is the best of the lot. It's actually the best I've seen.

So glad I was there to witness it live.

Twodogs
02-07-2014, 01:59 AM
For pressure Steve Macpherson on the wet v Hawthorn in 1985. Drilled a 40 metre late in the last quarter torp to make sure we'd finish top three and have the double chance. Best clutch shot ever.

For sheer joy Simon Beasley's goal after intercepting Gubby Allen's errant pass to beat Collingwood in 1984.

azabob
02-07-2014, 08:46 AM
For pressure Steve Macpherson on the wet v Hawthorn in 1985. Drilled a 40 metre late in the last quarter torp to make sure we'd finish top three and have the double chance. Best clutch shot ever.

For sheer joy Simon Beasley's goal after intercepting Gubby Allen's errant pass to beat Collingwood in 1984.

OK, so you are saying Macpherson's goal is better than Grant's goal?

always right
02-07-2014, 10:32 AM
I actually showed Kolyniuk's goal to my wife, son and his girlfriend last night....after talking it up. They were a little non-plussed to be honest. I guess you had to be there to understand the state of the match, the fact we had lost the lead, it was against Collingwood and the audaciousness of Billy take on Wright like he did and finish so clinically on his non-preferred side. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Grant's is not dissimilar in that the goal itself was a thing of sheer brilliance but needs to be viewed in the context of the match and the fact Macavaney had continually compared him unfavourably to Carey when it came to kicking clutch goals.

ledge
02-07-2014, 11:30 AM
The Beasley goal will forever be in my head .. I remember sandy Roberts commentary "and Beasley sends out the word"
Jock Edmond giving to the collingwood player straight afterwards , and I think the collingwood player did his knee in the contest!

Happy Days
02-07-2014, 12:58 PM
I've got it number two in all major categories.

Number two for sickest goal behind C Grant's against Essendon.

Number two for sheer absurdity behind Johnno's circus mid air soccer goal against the Lions in 05 (?)

It also comes in personal favourites just behind Grant the God effectively stealing Josh Bootsma's soul with a euro step-style crossover last year. Everyone says that it was the dick pic that ended his career but how could anyone ever be expected to come back from 2 broken ankles?

Throughandthrough
02-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Johnno's goal in his 300th to win the match against the Crows still takes me to a happy place. But i've watched Bonti's goal over and over. It is brilliant on so many levels.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-07-2014, 11:18 PM

Stevie Mac's goal was into the teeth of a westerly and mud was sticking to his feet and the ball. There was a mud patch with casual water in front of the mark from which he had to kick. He really stood up with that goal and defied gravity and the elements.

Twodogs
03-07-2014, 01:37 AM
OK, so you are saying Macpherson's goal is better than Grant's goal?

Yep. It was one of the wettest Whitten Oval days ever, Hawthorn were awesome battle hardened and finals conditioned. If we won we sewed up the double chance and ensured we finished in our highest ladder position for 25 years. From memory the scores were 5 goals something to 4 goals something so it was as tough an ask with a sodden ball as you could get.

There was a lot riding an Super's kick that day.

jeemak
03-07-2014, 01:47 AM
Essendon in 2000 were unbeaten, and we employed a game style just to keep us in the game that somehow worked out for us to the point where we had a chance of beating them, and also cement a spot in the finals.

Chris Grant then kicked a goal on his opposite from a tight set shot on a severe angle under more pressure than I've seen anyone execute in that situation in the history of the game, yet it couldn't beat Super kicking a torp from 40m out into the wind from the mud.

I don't have the advantage of seeing both, so I'll take your word for it.

craigsahibee
03-07-2014, 04:29 AM
I've only just arrived back from Borneo, I would have watched it 20 times on the shitty local broadband. Brilliant goal

I'm sure the Broadband in Borneo runs rings around what we had in Mooroolbark.