PDA

View Full Version : Kardinia Park Double Header

SonofScray
02-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Which of us WOOFers will be making a day of the footy and getting down to KP for the VFL/AFL double header?

I'm going. I love watching footy from the GA standing area at Geelong. It has been a reasonably happy hunting ground when I've had the chance to go. Its one of the last bastions of old school 'away days' footy.

LostDoggy
02-07-2014, 08:57 PM
I have to go pick my son up from WA, else I'd be there for both. Spewing. Tipping us in an upset.

Cyberdoggie
03-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Tipping us in an upset.
For the first game or the second?

Twodogs
03-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Smartest thing Geelong did was hang on to their own ground.

Axe Man
03-07-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm going in what will only be my second visit to Kardinia Park. The only other match I have attended there was this cracker:

Round: 21 Venue: Kardinia Park Date: Sat, 26-Aug-1995
Geelong 5.4.34 9.11.65 12.15.87 15.20.110
Footscray 1.4.10 7.4.46 12.9.81 19.11.125

I'm hopeful of a repeat!

Hopefully I'll catch at least the second half of the VFL game.

Does anybody know if it is easy to get parking around the ground if I'm there early enough?

craigsahibee
03-07-2014, 11:59 AM
I seem to recall Kym Koster playing a blinder that day, or maybe just one of his better games.

I think the last time I was down there was the day Darcy ruptured his ACL for the first time.

We had a good couple of years down there in the late 90's early 00's.

I remember winning a game in 99 on the day of my cousins wedding. Paul Hudson hacked a ball out of mid air from the boundary line and Darcy marked it pretty much dead in front.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1999/070919990724.html

Another time we were 6 goals or so down 10 minutes into the second qtr and went to half time in front.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/070920020525.html

Hope the links work

Axe Man
03-07-2014, 01:52 PM
I seem to recall Kym Koster playing a blinder that day, or maybe just one of his better games.

Correct - 3 Brownlow votes for Kym that day, his best game for the club. Unfortunately he only played 2 more games before we lost him to Adelaide.
Link to match (http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1995/070919950826.html)

Twodogs
03-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Libba sr accounted for almost a quarter of our tackles that day. 47 tackles in the entire game.

craigsahibee
03-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Libba sr accounted for almost a quarter of our tackles that day. 47 tackles in the entire game.

That's why our game is so great. The evolutionary process of the sport is clearly written there for us all to see. 20 years ago the total tackles in a game is now a minimum per team.

The Underdog
03-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Another time we were 6 goals or so down 10 minutes into the second qtr and went to half time in front.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/070920020525.html

Hope the links work

I was at that game with my now wife, standing up behind the goals. The disbelief on the Cats fans as we came back was great. I always remember this old bloke cracking it at me in the last quarter even though I'd done nothing but support the dogs and hadn't spoken to him. He was many sheets to the wind and started to mumble and I think try to push me but he was so far gone I just laughed at it. Also remember being abused because we came from a place of "Wogs and junkies". Yes that was an insult by people from Geelong. Was hilarious even then. One of my favourite days at the footy.

SonofScray
03-07-2014, 10:24 PM
I was at that game with my now wife, standing up behind the goals. The disbelief on the Cats fans as we came back was great. I always remember this old bloke cracking it at me in the last quarter even though I'd done nothing but support the dogs and hadn't spoken to him. He was many sheets to the wind and started to mumble and I think try to push me but he was so far gone I just laughed at it. Also remember being abused because we came from a place of "Wogs and junkies". Yes that was an insult by people from Geelong. Was hilarious even then. One of my favourite days at the footy.

Johnno took a screamer that day I think. I can remember giving it large to those rural Cats on the way out. What year did we break a drought there? Mid 90s, we hadn't won for many years away to Geelong and we got over the line, that was huge.

bornadog
04-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Johnno took a screamer that day I think. I can remember giving it large to those rural Cats on the way out. What year did we break a drought there? Mid 90s, we hadn't won for many years away to Geelong and we got over the line, that was huge.

I was there that day, great mark which of course was never mentioned by media.

We broke a ten year drought in 1985, and then didn't win till 1995. We won 5 in a row from 1998 and haven't won since 2005.

Axe Man
04-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Does anybody know if it is easy to get parking around the ground if I'm there early enough?

Anybody???

craigsahibee
04-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Anybody???

I used to park at the City end of the ground around Maud St. There's a couple of laneways there where I used to snag a spot. With the redevelopment of the stadium I'm not sure whether there are restrictions in place now. Being a late Sunday game however, you may be ok.

jeemak
04-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Axe Man

http://www.geelongaustralia.com.au/simondsstadium/afl/article/item/8cfbdedde9edb81.aspx

Axe Man
04-07-2014, 02:08 PM
I used to park at the City end of the ground around Maud St. There's a couple of laneways there where I used to snag a spot. With the redevelopment of the stadium I'm not sure whether there are restrictions in place now. Being a late Sunday game however, you may be ok.

Axe Man

http://www.geelongaustralia.com.au/simondsstadium/afl/article/item/8cfbdedde9edb81.aspx

Thanks guys. I've seen that info Jeemak, I was more wanting to know if I get there around 1-2pm will I still be able to get into the car parks? I'm not sure how many cars the car parks hold and if they close areas when it's wet? I have absolutely no familiarity with the area so I'm happy to pay for parking rather than cruise strange streets looking for a park.

jazzadogs
04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys. I've seen that info Jeemak, I was more wanting to know if I get there around 1-2pm will I still be able to get into the car parks? I'm not sure how many cars the car parks hold and if they close areas when it's wet? I have absolutely no familiarity with the area so I'm happy to pay for parking rather than cruise strange streets looking for a park.

Street parking is reasonably good on Sundays as the parking restrictions are (generally speaking) less strict. Not sure of the specifics near Kardinia though, or of the answers re: parking capacity. At least 50% (if not more) of the parking is on grass so there is a strong chance it would be closed in bad weather. Free parking around McKillop St (<10min walk) is possible.

I live in Geelong but never attend footy matches at Simonds so only have a vague idea of the parking on match-day.

Twodogs
05-07-2014, 02:17 AM
I've driven and parked in easy distance from the ground a dozen times.

Topdog
05-07-2014, 03:30 AM
So Geelong game is no longer included in home and away membership??

Happy Days
05-07-2014, 02:39 PM
I was gonna go, but then I saw 2 standing room tickets cost $55 and now I'm not gonna go.

Pricks.