PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 17 vs Gold Coast Suns

Eastdog
05-07-2014, 11:20 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 17 game against Gold Coast Suns at Cazaly's Stadium.

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
06-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Bump

Go_Dogs
06-07-2014, 08:17 PM
In: Roberts

Out: Austin

Smith also a possible (subject to fitness), but not sure who I'd nominate as the out.

GVGjr
06-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Gia must be in the mix, I'd add Darley and Talia to the mix as well.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Outs: Austin & Stevens

Ins: Talia & Gia (as the Sub)

I thought Macrae was excellent when he came on against Geelong

comrade
06-07-2014, 09:07 PM
OUT: Austin, Stevens, Redpath
IN: Roberts, Darley, Campbell

boydogs
06-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Out: Austin, Stevens, Hrovat, Redpath
In: Talia, Grant, Smith, Campbell

Redpath unlucky, just think we need a proper 2nd ruck

kruder
06-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Did anyone see how Grant played for Footscray?

I just think with Hrovat,Hunter Dahl and Honey in the side its a slight overkill on the small forward/mid hence he would add a slight point of difference to the forward line.

Out Austin Honey

In Roberts Grant

Sounds like Redpath is going to get a good crack it according to the coach.

Mofra
07-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I just think with Hrovat,Hunter Dahl and Honey in the side its a slight overkill on the small forward/mid hence he would add a slight point of difference to the forward line.
I agree - it's a problem going forward unless Dahl/Hrovat make the full time transition to midfielders.

Grant needs to come in

LostDoggy
07-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Out: Ablett
In: YES!

Happy Days
07-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Out: Austin, Redpath, Honeychurch

In: Roberts, Grant, Darley

Roberts and Darley never should have been dropped and Grant should have come straight back in.

Mantis
07-07-2014, 12:10 PM
How do we cover Lynch, Day & Dixon?

Roughead & ???.. I guess Morris could go to Day, but we would still be giving away 6cm.

Sedat
07-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Roughead & ???.. I guess Morris could go to Day, but we would still be giving away 6cm.
Even without Ablett, they have a strong and deep collection of runners - they out-ran Collingwood with no bench on the weekend. I understand the need to bolster out KPD stocks this week but I'd also hate to be one rotation less in the middle as a result. With the game being played in the humidity of Cairns, I'd be inclined to take a risk and maintain our midfield stocks and rely on a Morris to play tall. Also I think Dixon is a very doubtful starter this weekend.

Eastdog
07-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Out: Ablett
In: YES!

Would make some difference to them you would think but I'm not sure how much.

azabob
07-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Would make some difference to them you would think but I'm not sure how much.

In my view typically a club can cover the loss of their best player for one to two weeks. After then is when the load and the loss of said player starts to impact a team.

always right
07-07-2014, 02:41 PM

Looked like Dixon blew a calf. You'd have to think he is highly unlikely to play.

The coach has declared that Redpath will play the next two weeks so those calling for him to be dropped can have a re-think.

I can see one change this week.....Talia for Austin. Can't see anyone else who deserves to be dropped and there were no injuries.

Big outs for the Suns......Dixon gave us big problems last time, McKenzie launches many attacks and Ablett. The other bloke who killed us last time was Shaw...is he also injured at the moment?

azabob
07-07-2014, 02:52 PM
I can see one change this week.....Talia for Austin. Can't see anyone else who deserves to be dropped and there were no injuries.

Big outs for the Suns......Dixon gave us big problems last time, McKenzie launches many attacks and Ablett. The other bloke who killed us last time was Shaw...is he also injured at the moment?

I think McKenzie did a hamstring late in the game, so he may not also play. (YOu already know this, just re-read your post)

I'd be inclined to go with Roberts ahead of Talia purely based on the fact that Roberts has performed better when given the opportunity.

azabob
07-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Coupled with next to none rotations in the last quarter.

If we are in the game at 3/4 quarter time we should be able to over run them.

Big opportunity for our boys.

Mantis
07-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Coupled with next to none rotations in the last quarter.

If we are in the game at 3/4 quarter time we should be able to over run them.

Big opportunity for our boys.

But they have an extra days break, a shorter distance to travel and didn't play a tough contested game in wet conditions.

GC are a very fit team and even with no rotations had the better of Coll in the last qtr.

azabob
07-07-2014, 03:06 PM
But they have an extra days break, a shorter distance to travel and didn't play a tough contested game in wet conditions.

GC are a very fit team and even with no rotations had the better of Coll in the last qtr.

Come on Mantis at least let me think for a few days we have a shot of wining!

But yes on the flip side all of your arguments are vaild.

Greystache
07-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Collingwood also has an atrocious Head of Fitness which probably played a part. I was almost as pleased when he was "poached" by Collingwood as when he left us for St Kilda. His teams a perenially overun by fitter teams.

lemmon
07-07-2014, 06:08 PM
May see Jack Macrae omitted if Macca's presser is anything to go by

Axe Man
07-07-2014, 06:24 PM
The other bloke who killed us last time was Shaw...is he also injured at the moment?

He was listed as omitted for the Collingwood game so a fair chance he will be back.

SlimPickens
07-07-2014, 06:25 PM
May see Jack Macrae omitted if Macca's presser is anything to go by

Thought the same. Or at least start as the sub again.

lemmon
07-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Thought the same. Or at least start as the sub again.

I'd don't really see how making him the sub educates him to be honest. If there are genuinely elements of his defensive game that are hurting the side, surely the best option is to send him back to Footscray and let him show he can meet the requirements at the lower level in the same way as he's handled Grant and Talia. Probably a chance for Clay to get a run, the more games he gets this year the better.

Rocco Jones
07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
In: Talia, Gia
Out: Austin, Honeychurch

Just a few notes:
- I think the public criticism of Macrae is 'punishment' enough for now
- Gia in as a sub to add some composure up forward
- Thought Talia played well in the VFL game. I think it's time to give him another crack.

Campbell really deserves a game but we need as much run as possibly with Cairns off a 6 day break + playing in wet conditions.

Templeton31
07-07-2014, 06:59 PM
In: Templeton31
Out: Cold weather Bahahahahahahahaha!!!! I'm going to Cairns, Im going to Cairns, Im going to Cairns….

Ok resume normal programming in this thread. :):cool::p

Bulldog4life
07-07-2014, 08:03 PM
I'd don't really see how making him the sub educates him to be honest. If there are genuinely elements of his defensive game that are hurting the side, surely the best option is to send him back to Williamstown and let him show he can meet the requirements at the lower level in the same way as he's handled Grant and Talia. Probably a chance for Clay to get a run, the more games he gets this year the better.

Prefer he plays with Footscray,:)

boydogs
07-07-2014, 08:13 PM
In: Templeton31
Out: Cold weather Bahahahahahahahaha!!!! I'm going to Cairns, Im going to Cairns, Im going to Cairns….

Getting down to 12 degrees here tonight, normally about 17 this time of year. Still a top of 26 tomorrow

kruder
07-07-2014, 08:15 PM
They will be top 4 next year with a shot at the premiership... Wish we could have Lynch! Off topic I know but my choice of the young forwards in the comp.

lemmon
07-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Prefer he plays with Footscray,:)

Hahah yeah would be preferable :cool:

Templeton31
07-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Getting down to 12 degrees here tonight, normally about 17 this time of year. Still a top of 26 tomorrow

I live in Canberra - low of 1 tonight and top of 11 tomorrow. 5 right now. So 12 sounds great to me!!!!

Jam Donuts
08-07-2014, 12:54 PM
I live in Canberra - low of 1 tonight and top of 11 tomorrow. 5 right now. So 12 sounds great to me!!!!

Saturday is forecast top of 27 and minimum of 17, not bad for footy!!

Cyberdoggie
08-07-2014, 02:04 PM
In my view typically a club can cover the loss of their best player for one to two weeks. After then is when the load and the loss of said player starts to impact a team.

From memory the last time Ablett was out for an extended period they suddenly played decent football.

Bennell stepped up and others that were more Ablett focused starting taking the ball into their own hands.

Hopefully it doesn't become a blowout again.

Cyberdoggie
08-07-2014, 02:30 PM
surprised there are calls for Redpath to go after a game against the cats at SS in the wet and with Taylor and co down there.

Pretty sure Liam Jones wouldn't of got a touch in that game if he couldnt' get one against Melbourne.

Needs a few games before you can judge, the coach seems fairly adamant that he'll get another 2 games and maybe 2 after that from his post match conference.

I can't see too many changes unless there are injuries we don't know of yet.

Austin wasn't great but he's a backup because we have nothing else.

If he's going out then either Talia or Roberts have to come in again.

I'd like to see Darley get another go but don't see an out for him.

mighty_west
08-07-2014, 02:45 PM
I find it humorous when reading on social media that because this game is up in Cairns, its like a home game for the QLD side, its still a similar distance from Melbourne to Brisbane going from Brissy to Cairns.

Ablett is a big out because we can now put more work into Prestia who towelled us up last game at Metricon, he has to be stopped and is in AA form imo, given their outs and being a neutral ground gives us a huge chance, im quite confident with this game.

azabob
08-07-2014, 02:55 PM
I find it humorous when reading on social media that because this game is up in Cairns, its like a home game for the QLD side, its still a similar distance from Melbourne to Brisbane going from Brissy to Cairns.

Ablett is a big out because we can now put more work into Prestia who towelled us up last game at Metricon, he has to be stopped and is in AA form imo, given their outs and being a neutral ground gives us a huge chance, im quite confident with this game.

Is this the same ground that they GCS beat Richmond in a couple of times?

Mantis
08-07-2014, 03:23 PM

Think it's easier going from 20deg to 27deg rather than 14deg to 27deg.

boydogs
09-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Is this the same ground that they GCS beat Richmond in a couple of times?

Yep. It's very windy there, which is as much of an adjustment as the heat & humidity. You won't see ice rooms like in Darwin, it won't be much over 20 degrees (25.2 today, 22.8 at 4:30pm) when the game starts, but ball handling will be difficult. Playing in the wet last week is probably good preparation.

I may miss the start but will be going along so hope to provide some good reports. I'm expecting the class players Bonts, Macrae, Hrovat, Hunter to do well whilst Boyd, Wallis, Picken, Stevens struggle, much like against Geelong

boydogs
09-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Think it's easier going from 20deg to 27deg rather than 14deg to 27deg.

Gold Coast will be more used to heat & humidity which played a big part in their wins over Richmond, much like the experienced heads at Geelong knew how to play wet weather footy last week. Travel times aren't dissimilar though, Gold Coast to Cairns is more than half the distance from Melbourne to Cairns and the take off & landing make it about 2 hours for them and 3 for us.

Small forwards tend to do well, talls struggle to hold their marks. Nahas kicked 4 in the Karmichael Hunt game

Ozza
09-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Yep. It's very windy there, which is as much of an adjustment as the heat & humidity. You won't see ice rooms like in Darwin, it won't be much over 20 degrees (25.2 today, 22.8 at 4:30pm) when the game starts, but ball handling will be difficult. Playing in the wet last week is probably good preparation.

I may miss the start but will be going along so hope to provide some good reports. I'm expecting the class players Bonts, Macrae, Hrovat, Hunter to do well whilst Boyd, Wallis, Picken, Stevens struggle, much like against Geelong

Thought that Wallis and Picken were amongst our better players against Geelong, whereas Hrovat struggled to get involved.

jeemak
09-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Thought that Wallis and Picken were amongst our better players against Geelong, whereas Hrovat struggled to get involved.

I think he's referring to use by hand and foot, rather than ability to get the ball.

boydogs
09-07-2014, 02:03 PM

True, I suppose I mean relative to their usual output

Ozza
10-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Will be interesting to see if there are many, or any, changes this week.

There aren't any very obvious changes to come out of the Geelong game, however, being a 6 day break and heading to potentially humid/slippery conditions that some strategic changes are made, ie. players who's loading needs to be managed a bit.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a mid/forward or two miss a week due to the short break and travel.

G-Mo77
10-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Will be interesting to see if there are many, or any, changes this week.

There aren't any very obvious changes to come out of the Geelong game, however, being a 6 day break and heading to potentially humid/slippery conditions that some strategic changes are made, ie. players who's loading needs to be managed a bit.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a mid/forward or two miss a week due to the short break and travel.

Thinking the same Ozza. 1 or 2 max and I have no idea who it would be.

The Underdog
10-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Thinking the same Ozza. 1 or 2 max and I have no idea who it would be.

I'm the same. Could be no changes or a couple. Think it will really depend on how guys come up from a really physical contest on a 6 day break. Austin possibly in trouble after a poor one but at the same time they might opt for the (comparative) experience down back against some good key forwards.

Ozza
10-07-2014, 03:40 PM
It may not be very suitable conditions for tall forwards, but I guess you still have to man them up!

If Dixon doesn't come up - I would say we can afford to leave out Austin, have Morris on Day, and Roughy on Lynch - and Stringer can switch to defence if the need arises during the game. I don't recall Gold Coast ever going in with two ruckmen - due to the size of their forwards.

azabob
10-07-2014, 07:07 PM
JJ has traveled with the team.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2014, 07:09 PM

Are the boys lonely or did we book an extra seat and he called dibs first?

GVGjr
10-07-2014, 07:16 PM

Indicating that we want to have running players in the warmer conditions.

wimberga
10-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Darley in, Higgins Out

GVGjr
10-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Full back
L Picken J Roughead M Austin
Half back
R Murphy D Morris E Wood
Centreline
M Bontempelli M Boyd M Wallis
Half forward
J Stringer S Crameri M Honeychurch
Full forward
L Dahlhaus J Redpath L Hunter
Followers
W Minson R Griffen T Liberatore

Interchange
J Macrae N Hrovat K Stevens S Darley
Emergencies
D Giansiracusa J Johannisen T Campbell

In Darley
Out Higgins

The Bulldogs Bite
10-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Happy with that, Higgins has been poor for the last few weeks. His defending has been average and his skills have dropped significantly. I'd prefer to see him play up forward when he returns.

Edit: given Higgins isn't listed as an emergency, can we assume he's only missing due to injury?

bulldogtragic
10-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Darley in, Higgins Out

I wonder what that does to Higgins psyche with contract talks in 2 months.

I agree mind you.

GVGjr
10-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Happy with that, Higgins has been poor for the last few weeks. His defending has been average and his skills have dropped significantly. I'd prefer to see him play up forward when he returns.

Edit: given Higgins isn't listed as an emergency, can we assume he's only missing due to injury?

Yes, I believe Higgins is injured but he has been named for Footscray. I'm surprised that Austin is still in the side.

wimberga
10-07-2014, 07:38 PM
The other interesting thing is that Dixon has been named for Gold Coast.

Round 17 AFL Premiership Team
B: T. Murphy, S. May, G. Broughton
HB: S. Lemmens, R. Thompson, M. Rischitelli
C: J. Harbrow, D. Swallow, A. Sexton
HF: J. Martin, T. Lynch, H. Bennell
F: C. Dixon, S. Day, A. Hall
R: Z Smith, J. O’Meara, D. Prestia
INT: K. Kolodjashnij, D. Stanley, J. Lonergan, M. Shaw

Emergencies: L. Russell, M. Warnock, J. Hutchins

In: Murphy, Shaw
Out: Ablett (shoulder), McKenzie (hamstring)

GVGjr
10-07-2014, 07:39 PM
I wonder what that does to Higgins psyche with contract talks in 2 months.

I agree mind you.

He has to be played largely played on his merits but if that upsets him then so be it.

The Underdog
10-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Yes, I believe Higgins is injured but he has been named for Footscray. I'm surprised that Austin is still in the side.

It says omitted on the team announcement e-mail which would indicate he isn't. Maybe being punished with a winter game at the Whitten Oval.

SonofScray
10-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Surprised to see Higgins out, though I agree with the decision, mostly.

His ball use has been terrible and while he has made some terrific aerial defensive efforts in recent weeks, his gut running, desperate work without the footy has been lacking. I always have felt for the role he is occupying at the moment he is a bit expensive, so if Darley is in form and can kick the ball well we're doing well to get experience into him.

I have never enjoyed Higgins' play, until this season. He has been pretty good up to the past fortnight. Glad he has paid a price for poor form finally though. Injuries and untapped potential saw him have far too many credits in the bank for what he has given us back over the years for my liking.

G-Mo77
10-07-2014, 08:59 PM
There will be quite a few happy with that. Higgins isn't the most loved Bulldog out there, I guess Gia is another notable absentee. Darley does deserve his spot though, he was very unlucky to miss last week.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-07-2014, 09:10 PM
A little surprised that they didn't make any further changes, Happy to have a settled side and glad that Redpath gets a go for a second run, Not sure that the wet last week and the humidity this week was the perfect introduction to the AFL. Oh well its a good test and none of us would knock having a crack at the top level.

Austin very Lucky IMO.

Go Dogs!

azabob
10-07-2014, 09:38 PM

With Austin maybe we will wait to see who does and doesn't play for Gold Coast.

JJ may be a late in?

F'scary
10-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Looks like Goodes has played his last game in the firsts. BOG in the VFL didn't stop Darley being selected b/f him.

boydogs
10-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Tipping Austin & Dixon to be late outs

Templeton31
11-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Bit disappointed no Grant.

Remi Moses
11-07-2014, 03:27 AM
Has grant gone back to bad ways? Talia instead of Austin for me.
Great to see Darley in, he was dead stiff. Happy with the Higgins move .

Go_Dogs
11-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Pleased to see Darley back, think he's going to develop into a good player for us so it's good that he gets a run over the balance of the season.

I don't mind we're going in with a settled side, but the calls there might be a late change could be on the money.

jeemak
11-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Higgins is likely paying a price for letting his man get goal side one too many times for a senior player (who should know better) and poor leadership in general.

I'm glad Darley is back. Thought he was really stiff to get the axe.

wimberga
11-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Glad to see more of what Darley has. Definitely showed enough two weeks ago and has a lovely kick on him (something we crave).

There was one play however against melbourne in the defensive 50 where instead of going straight at the ball, he kind of ran past and around it. From memory Frawley or someone eventually came and tackled him once he picked the ball up and he got a free kick or something like that, but I couldn't decide if that was smart play from him to draw a free kick, or a little bit of timidness in attacking the footy.

Either way, there is a lot to work with, but I do hate seeing players run past or being wary of collecting the ball when its there for them. Suspect this is something Macca feels similarly on, so don't expect to see it often.

azabob
11-07-2014, 09:42 AM
I notice a few posters are prefering Talia over Roberts to replace Austin.

Why is this?

From what I have seen, I prefer Roberts as a 2nd key defender to Talia. Granted Roberts does not get as much footy as Talia, but he is better in the one on one contests which at this stage of their respective developments I rate a much higher quality to have.

Would be interested in other posters thoughts.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-07-2014, 12:54 PM

Why is this?

From what I have seen, I prefer Roberts as a 2nd key defender to Talia. Granted Roberts does not get as much footy as Talia, but he is better in the one on one contests which at this stage of their respective developments I rate a much higher quality to have.

I am surprised that both Roberts and Campbell are not in the side. Campbell has been by far our most consistent performer over the past month in the VFL team.

Go_Dogs
11-07-2014, 02:09 PM

Why is this?

Agree with that. Roberts also has sharper disposal at this stage.

I'm not against giving them both opportunities but at the same time, nothing wrong with continuing to develop them at Footscray.

Axe Man
11-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Dogs to make Griffen call as late as possible (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-11/sick-dog-will-play)

THE Western Bulldogs are confident Ryan Griffen will be fit to play in Saturday's twilight clash with Gold Coast in Cairns, despite the skipper missing the club's open training session on Friday morning due to illness.

"He's woken up a little bit under the weather," Dogs assistant coach Brett Montgomery said after the session at Cazaly's Stadium.

"He will train. He'll train this afternoon, which is appropriate with game-time, so there's no issue there.

"We still think he'll play, but we didn't think it was too smart to get him out here this morning."

The Dogs have brought two emergencies, Daniel Giansiracusa and Jason Johannisen, to Cairns, and both took part in the training session on Friday morning.

Montgomery refused to say which of the emergencies will get a call-up if Griffen is ruled out.

"We'll make that call as late as we need to," he said.

The Bulldogs last played Gold Coast in round 10.

On that afternoon at Metricon Stadium, Brendan McCartney's men trailed by just six points at half-time before conceding eight goals in the third quarter and losing by 45 points.

"30 really poor minutes cost us," Montgomery said. "We've analysed that within an inch of its life, so we know what we're in for."

The Bulldogs won't have to contend with Gary Ablett this time, given the superstar midfielder has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a shoulder injury.

It means tagger Liam Picken can direct his attention elsewhere, although the Dogs know from recent experience that Gold Coast's talent pool runs deep.

"It's a huge out, but he was only one of about half a dozen who ripped us apart in that 30 minutes when we played them last time," Montgomery said.

"Their lesser-lights are all top-10 draft picks in their own right, and it just gives them an opportunity to show their wares.

"So we're very wary of the next six or seven under (Ablett)."

The Suns are confident they'll have an advantage as this will be their fourth game for premiership points in Cairns, whereas the Dogs are playing at Cazaly's Stadium for the first time.

But Montgomery doesn't believe the lack of experience at the venue will be an issue for his team.

"I don't think it's hard at all," he said. "I think our record in Darwin … speaks for itself. We win more than we lose.

"We like the wide open spaces, we like the warmth, so I don't think it will be an issue."

Added veteran onballer Matthew Boyd: "It's nice to get up here and feel some heat on your back, and you feel a bit better about yourself."

A big factor in games in Cairns is the wind that springs up every afternoon and blows straight down the ground.

But Boyd is confident the Dogs will cope with the conditions.

"If you've ever been to the Whitten Oval in the middle of winter you'd see that wind is not an issue for Bulldogs people," he said.

"We train in it every day, so the wind is not an issue for us."

Cyberdoggie
11-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Where would you put him?

There's only 2 spots, as a ruckman, which means Will goes out.

or as a forward, which means Redpath is out.

I think we can afford to have a little patience with Campbell as he is a required player and has plenty of football ahead of him.
Redpath, we don't really know about just yet, he's a rookie, playing for his career, let's see what's he's got.

I'm happy the match committee had the guts to drop Higgins, he hasn't added much to the backline, looks dreadfully slow at times and seems to only get a lot of the ball when we are getting pumped.

Here's some of his highest stat games this year!

27 disps (14 kicks 13 hballs), 4 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 14 72-pt loss to Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval (21 Jun 2014)

29 disps (13 kicks 16 hballs), 3 marks and 7 tackles in Rd 11 38-pt loss to Fremantle at Etihad Stadium (1 Jun 2014)

36 disps (17 kicks 19 hballs), 5 marks and a goal in Rd 7 8-pt loss to Essendon at Etihad Stadium (3 May 2014)

29 disps (19 kicks 10 hballs), 12 marks and a goal in Rd 4 27-pt win over GWS at StarTrack Oval (12 Apr 2014)

23 disps (13 kicks 10 hballs), 3 marks and 2 goals in Rd 1 65-pt loss to West Coast at Patersons Stadium (23 Mar 2014)

Now they all sound great but look at the results. Apart from GWS these were all losses, and big losses except for the Essendon game, which to be honest was the most unwatchable game we played all year, both sides didn't want to kick through the lines and were chipping it around all over the place. Higgins seems to be a star in all these games.

I'm not trying to damn him as he has done some ok things, rather just to highlight that with the role he's playing and his lack of speed he seems to get a lot of the ball when we are under pressure, and I don't think he's the player you want to get you out of that pressure.

jeemak
11-07-2014, 03:15 PM
It would be good to know what sort of efficiency and metres gained he put together in those games.

Aside from a few dips in form throughout the year, I actually think he's been doing well for his first year as a defender.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-07-2014, 04:24 PM
It would be good to know what sort of efficiency and metres gained he put together in those games.

Aside from a few dips in form throughout the year, I actually think he's been doing well for his first year as a defender.

Eade tried him as a defender a few years ago IIRC, and he had a few bad games before he was quickly shifted back up the ground.

Unfortunately Higgins lacks the intensity/desperation and defensive edge to play as a reliable defender.

Still think he could offer us something up forward though.

jeemak
11-07-2014, 04:28 PM
I think there was a game where Craig Bird tore him a new one, kicking four (2011?) at the SCG that put a stop to the experiment.

Irrespective of that I still think he's brought more to the table than what's bee taken away, barring his last game and some lapses leading up to it.

Scorlibo
11-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Higgins should be played forward of centre. We have been hamstrung with that move though as a result of having Howard, Fuller, Darley and JJ languishing at VFL level - all half-back flankers. Now Sam Darley comes in and displaces Higgo, maybe he (Darley) can hold a place in defence and we can send Higgo back forward. I think we all presumed that JJ would come back and play the kind of football that had him a trade target for other clubs last year, but that hasn't been the case.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Higgins should be played forward of centre. We have been hamstrung with that move though as a result of having Howard, Fuller, Darley and JJ languishing at VFL level - all half-back flankers. Now Sam Darley comes in and displaces Higgo, maybe he (Darley) can hold a place in defence and we can send Higgo back forward. I think we all presumed that JJ would come back and play the kind of football that had him a trade target for other clubs last year, but that hasn't been the case.

Yep, I think it's time to see if Shaun can play where he should be played - where he was drafted, where he can best impact a game of football.

jeemak
11-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Yep, I think it's time to see if Shaun can play where he should be played - where he was drafted, where he can best impact a game of football.

I'd love to see him in the midfield/forward mix. He's one of only a very small amount of good finishers and creative ball users on the list.

However, I think we need to understand that Higgins is always going to have deficiencies - just like the overwhelming majority of footballers - that can be worked on but aren't ever going to be ironed out of his game completely.

These deficiencies will expose us if he plays forward, likewise as they have when he's played back this year. It will be interesting to see how he's handled for the remainder of the season.

lemmon
11-07-2014, 07:03 PM
As an unabashed Higgins fan I see someone who has instilled a harder edge to his game this year, he is courageous and does bash in for the contested footy, but that doesn't make him a defender. We saw it against North when Ziebell took him to full forward and outmarked him, Shaun lacks that athleticism that Wood and Morris have that lets them get the fist in or make a big tackle.

We should be utilising his strengths which are obviously with ball in hand where he is capable of setting goals up and making things happen, I'd like him around the footy more as a genuine mid/high half forward. No reason he can't get himself fit enough to make it in the middle if his body holds up

Scorlibo
11-07-2014, 07:29 PM
I agree lemmon, he has improved his attack on the football - to the point where I think most supporters have been quite content with him in defence. My view to move him to attack is, likes yours, mostly seeking to maximise the 'bright side', if you like, of Shaun Higgins, rather than minimising the negatives. He can still be a very good player for us, but we need someone to fill the void off half back before we shift him forward.

divvydan
11-07-2014, 07:50 PM
If Higgins can get through the rest of this season without injury and get a full preseason in, then he might have the capabilities, body wise, to spend time in midfield. One of the main reasons we're using him down back is that his body kept failing in other roles.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-07-2014, 09:46 AM
I think that Shaun is one of the best finishers at our club, how ever he has things e needs to work on which you state and I agree, his defensive game to play up forward and his tank to play in the midfield.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if he is not at our club next year.

I cant see him playing up forward and pushing Dal, Grant, Hunter, Stringer & Honeycrurch out of the side. Same as the midfield, he will be behind, Wallis, Grif, Libba, McCrae Bonts, Smith & Hrovat.

Sad really but I truly think that injuries are going to make it we never see the best of Shaun and maybe another club will suit better, Like Eddie B to the crows