View Full Version : Cameron looks for the Wight Stuff

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Cameron looks for the Wight stuff
3:51 PM Tue 30 October, 2007 | Back

ByJennifer Witham,

for westernbulldogs.com.au

News
FOR MOST of the players currently working their way through pre-season training, the prospect of repeated sessions of long distance running looms as largely uninviting.

For Cameron Wight, however, it's something he actually enjoys doing.

"I don't mind the running. I used to do cross-country as a kid, so I don't mind doing that kind of stuff," he said, after the Bulldogs took to a challenging one kilometre time-trial circuit in Aberfeldie.

"I've always been into it."

Still, Wight said the session of six trials separated by brief rests was "very tough", with the Dogs relying on the encouragement of their teammates and coaching staff to see them through.

He also said it was difficult to return from their off-season break as early as the Dogs did, especially when the majority of their AFL counterparts were still sunning themselves in tropical destinations.

But he believes the hard work and dedication will pay off when the season starts in 2008.

"It's hard coming back this early, but it's worth it to get ahead of the competition," he said.

"It's good. Getting two weeks ahead of the competition is a big head start, so hopefully we can keep it up, get fitter, and start running out games better.

"We need to be fitter, and hopefully, we'll be fitter than the other teams."

Wight used part of his six weeks off to work on his pre-season goal of increasing his bulk, and while he admits he didn't do much running while on holiday, he was surprised with how fast fitness can drop off.

"There's a big difference. Coming back, I'm not as good as I'd hoped, but that's the whole idea of starting early," he said.

"We've got an opportunity now to get fitter before Christmas, so we can just get stuck into the footy side of things after that.

"My aim now is just to get bigger. I want to put on five or six kilos, and try and keep a fitness base at the same time."

As well adding weight to his 95kg/200cm frame, Wight has set himself the goal of pushing his way into the senior side on a consistent basis.

Having managed 14 games in his fifth year at the club – including the first 10 of the season – Wight has given himself a solid base to launch from heading into next year.

"I thought I had a good start to the season and then I dropped off," he said.

"My form just wasn't up to scratch in the last few weeks. Now, next year will be about cementing my spot in the side and getting a regular senior game, and of course, playing finals."

The Coon Dog
31-10-2007, 08:58 AM
"My aim now is just to get bigger. I want to put on five or six kilos, and try and keep a fitness base at the same time."

Now, that I'd like to see.

Mantis
31-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Now, that I'd like to see.

You could almost say that if it doesn't happen Cam will continue to struggle. His lack of 'real' bulk is the only thing holding him back at present as he still gets out-bodied and pushed around a little to easily. His attack on the ball is very good and a bigger body will no doubt increase his confidence in this area.

It all sounds good, but we have been waiting for 2 or 3 years for Cam to bulk up, hopefully it comes with this pre-season.

GVGjr
31-10-2007, 09:13 AM
You could almost say that if it doesn't happen Cam will continue to struggle. His lack of 'real' bulk is the only thing holding him back at present as he still gets out-bodied and pushed around a little to easily at present. His attack on the ball is very good and a bigger body will no doubt increase his confidence in this area.

It all sounds good, but we have been waiting for 2 or 3 years for Cam to bulk up, hopefully it comes with this pre-season.

IMO, the real concern is his decision making and foot skills. At the moment he is a depth player but a good pre-season might change all that.

Mantis
31-10-2007, 09:19 AM
IMO, the real concern is his decision making and foot skills. At the moment he is a depth player but a good pre-season might change all that.

Yeah that's probably right too. But if we surround him with the likes of Gilbee, Griffen, Everitt and Hargrave there will less focus on his ability to use the ball. His job will be to beat his man and give the ball to one of the players I mentioned when he does get it. Hopefully that shouldn't be to hard.

Bulldog Revolution
31-10-2007, 09:40 AM

I've always felt his disposal was pretty reasonable by footy, and I think the decision making is generally about being able to play at AFL speed, and I think that will happen for him.

He needs a huge pre-season working on his hands, they just have to get sharper AND he needs to balance his running brilliance with adding some weight and strength. Theres no good him being able to run like a midfielder if he doesn't get to play there and use it. He might have to settle for being a bit less of a running machine but address the areas that need it - body strength, one on ones etc.

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 10:14 AM

I suspect that confidence has a lot to do with his poor decision making and foot skills. If he gets his body right and is able to compete against the big boys then the rest will come easier.

I don't think its that easy for him to put on 5kg of muscle and I agree its his last chance.

Sockeye Salmon
31-10-2007, 10:17 AM
He's put on a fair bit of weight. He started off at about 80kgs and has got it up to 95 but he really needs another 5 or so.

I don't have a real problem with his decision making or kicking. Sure, it could improve, but I'm not one of thise who think a 2 metre wingman is necessarily a good thing.

I think he's a natural forward but isn't good enough over head. I think he could make it at as a backman but he's got a few in front of him in the queue.

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I think he's a natural forward but isn't good enough over head. I think he could make it at as a backman but he's got a few in front of him in the queue.
Agreed, as a backman because I don't think he has the smarts to play up forward. It would be great if he could handle FB or CHB which means its easier to try Harris up forward.

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 10:30 AM
He's put on a fair bit of weight. He started off at about 80kgs and has got it up to 95 but he really needs another 5 or so.

Which makes me think, doesn't matter how much weight he puts on, he would still struggle to compete against a good opposition forward.

Mantis
31-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Agreed, as a backman because I don't think he has the smarts to play up forward. It would be great if he could handle FB or CHB which means its easier to try Harris up forward.

Exactly.

I am a big believer that we must try and put Harris forward next year. We really have no-one else who has the size or strength to play this role. For this to occur we need Williams, McDougall and possibly Wight to take big steps next year to allow this to occur. If these 3 don't step up to the plate then Im afraid Harris will have to play FB/ CHB and our forwardline will continue to struggle due to the lack of a tall/ mobile target.

Sockeye Salmon
31-10-2007, 10:44 AM

I reckon the main thing he's got going for him as a forward is smarts.

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I reckon the main thing he's got going for him as a forward is smarts.
Well he doesn't have the smarts of a Robert Murphy (not many do) and not sure he take contested marks using his body yet.
I'd say the thing he has going for him as a forward is the willingness to continue leading/presenting, and keep trying if the ball is delivered poorly. Is that smarts or stupids?

southerncross
31-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I think this has been mentioned before but could he do a Westhoff type role of plaing as a forward pocket?

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I think this has been mentioned before but could he do a Westhoff type role of plaing as a forward pocket?

No where near as clever as Westhoff. I doubt Wight played much junior footy as a forward.

The Underdog
31-10-2007, 12:35 PM
The main problems I've seen with Cam seem to be confidence based. Lots of fumbling under pressure and occasional poor kicking. He has a definite weakness overhead, but this can be worked on pre-season and also improved with greater strength. I've seen him appear to be a potential CHB towards the end of 2006 and a potential delisting towards the end of 2007. I think the ability is there. I'm not sure about his ability to go forward, but hey if we're talking Minson up as our next FF then it can't hurt to give him a shot there.
What do people think about starting pre-season with McD at FB, Williams at CHB, Cam as a lead-up CHF and Brian at FF, just as a trial?

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 01:05 PM
The main problems I've seen with Cam seem to be confidence based. Lots of fumbling under pressure and occasional poor kicking. He has a definite weakness overhead, but this can be worked on pre-season and also improved with greater strength. I've seen him appear to be a potential CHB towards the end of 2006 and a potential delisting towards the end of 2007. I think the ability is there. I'm not sure about his ability to go forward, but hey if we're talking Minson up as our next FF then it can't hurt to give him a shot there.
What do people think about starting pre-season with McD at FB, Williams at CHB, Cam as a lead-up CHF and Brian at FF, just as a trial?

Sorry to disagree that confidence is his main problem, I'd say his main problem is his lack of strength/weight and thats causing the confidence problems. There are a lot of good tall skinny types (backs/forwards) in AFL but ones that can't find the ball or hold their position don't make it.

I'd watch him in an internal club practice match before saying he could play as a CHF.

Bulldog Revolution
31-10-2007, 02:09 PM

I dont know if his hands or one on one work are good enough

Westhoff must have surprised a few recruiters with his body on body work and clean hands

bornadog
31-10-2007, 03:23 PM

I know a few guys would like to see Harris up forward, but I think I would like to see him stay at FB, "it ain't broke, and doesn't need fixing"

The Underdog
31-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I know a few guys would like to see Harris up forward, but I think I would like to see him stay at FB, "it ain't broke, and doesn't need fixing"

I'm only suggesting it as a pre-season trial. As I've said elsewhere, i'm not as convinced as some about the idea of Brian at FF, mainly due to my lack of confidence in what he does with it once he gets it down there. Our previous small set-ups have worked at times but been easily shut down in others. All I'm suggesting is trying a taller set-up with guys who have been in the system a few years and throwing them around a bit in games that don't really matter.

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 04:16 PM

Our forward line is broke and needs fixing. Its worth a punt. If we can fix that and at the same time not hurt our back line too much I think it would a good positive for the team.

Bulldog Revolution
31-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Our forward line is broke and needs fixing. Its worth a punt. If we can fix that and at the same time not hurt our back line too much I think it would a good positive for the team.

That said you could argue that Geelongs premiership was based on developing a very good backline over a long period of time: Scarlett, Harley, Milburn etc

One of the first things Thomspn tried to do at Geelong was create a great backline.

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 04:31 PM
That said you could argue that Geelongs premiership was based on developing a very good backline over a long period of time: Scarlett, Harley, Milburn etc

One of the first things Thomspn tried to do at Geelong was create a great backline.
They have a half decent forward line too. Ours is no where near that. As mentioned by a few here too, a number of our defensive problems start in our forward with the lack of a tall target.

I'm not saying Harris is the saviour but I don't see anyone at the club yet thats better qualified or has a better possibility of succeeding there.

macca
31-10-2007, 06:00 PM
if you want to see a great tall skinny type player, get some videos of ashley macintosh( west coast player of the 90's). A great player for the eagles. I just believe wight needs to be given a go, support and time to develop into a good player. Next year will be his 4th year on the list and he is still only 22. Give him time I say!

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Ash Mcintosh was 6'4 and 100 kgs. Bit of a difference

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 07:21 PM
why does everybody think that Mcdougall is going to hold down a key position in the backline next year?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-10-2007, 07:24 PM

Cam Wight is 200cm and is currently 95kg...and is seeking to add another 4-5kg over pre-season.... not that much difference in physical measurements there Jerry?
Whilst they're not that far apart in these terms, in what Cam's shown so far footy wise he's got miles to make up to come close to Macintosh...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-10-2007, 07:26 PM
why does everybody think that Mcdougall is going to hold down a key position in the backline next year?
I'm not convinced he will, but it will depend upon a number of factors, how well he presents as a target during pre-season, how well Cam Wight progresses, what Eade decides to do with Everitt and Williams.

GVGjr
31-10-2007, 07:32 PM

I thought he played well there over the last few weeks of the season and if he can hold down that position then it will free up some others to be tried elsewhere. Hargrave on a wing is something I wouldn't mind seeing

dog town
31-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I think this has been mentioned before but could he do a Westhoff type role of plaing as a forward pocket? The only similarity between the two is the sheer size of them. Westhoff avoids contests like the plague whereas Wight thrives on them. Westhoff has a bit more natural ability and is a pretty elusive sort of character on the footy field. Just seems to find space. If Wight played forward I think he would play a vastly different style.

FrediKanoute
31-10-2007, 09:53 PM

I don't have a real problem with his decision making or kicking. Sure, it could improve, but I'm not one of thise who think a 2 metre wingman is necessarily a good thing.

I think he will prove to be a better forward. A mobile moving target.....he just neds to develop the vice like grip!

FrediKanoute
31-10-2007, 11:02 PM

5 kg's in weight!!! I used to hate McIntosh! He would kill us every time!

Does anyone know whether he (mcIntosh) ever played any junior footy for West Footscray?

Bulldog Revolution
01-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I thought he played well there over the last few weeks of the season and if he can hold down that position then it will free up some others to be tried elsewhere. Hargrave on a wing is something I wouldn't mind seeing

One thing I found interesting about McDougall was that he finished 4th or 5th in the W'Bee B & F - so whilst he was played all over the ground he was obviously doing what the match committee wanted. I realise its a big jump between the Bees and the AFL but I thought his form was encouraging at the end of the season and the 60 metre goal off one step against the Roos in Round 22 was actually pretty amazing.

Go_Dogs
01-11-2007, 10:11 AM
One thing I found interesting about McDougall was that he finished 4th or 5th in the W'Bee B & F - so whilst he was played all over the ground he was obviously doing what the match committee wanted. I realise its a big jump between the Bees and the AFL but I thought his form was encouraging at the end of the season and the 60 metre goal off one step against the Roos in Round 22 was actually pretty amazing.

I agree. He doesn't always appear the most co-ordinated bloke when he has the ball, but he's effective. His goal was very good. Because of the all stuff that goes with being a recycled tall drafted by the club I think people were a bit taken back that he actually showed some good signs towards the end of the year.