PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 17

Eastdog
11-07-2014, 09:04 PM
This is the round 17 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Gold Coast Suns is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Bumpy Dumpty

G-Mo77
12-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Bankers.

Our team. I picked them this week. We're good enough to knock of this plastic, heartless team and glad they did it well.

Macrae.
Just oozes class and put on his best game yet. I'm still a little pissy about the comments from our coach. He'll have to carry that stigma around now for a long time.

Wood's courageous save. Had he not done that it could have been game changing.

Anchors

Cairns game. It's a shame this one wasn't here.

2nd quarter. Woeful. Just so frustrating to see 20 - 30 minutes of footy like this. It must improve.

Box Hill for ruining a double W.

always right
12-07-2014, 08:32 PM
B:
Macrae showed a lot of character. Nothing phases him
Liked Murphy and Darley playing off the flanks. Darley glides across the turf a little like Murph
Lot to like about our three small forwards...Dahl, Hunter and Hrovat

A:
Our second quarter. No individual deserves an anchor this week.

craigsahibee
12-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Bankers.
Libba
Minson
Macrae

Anchors
Austin. The only negative today. The move up forward was ok but his errors and decisions in the back half really hurt us.
Goalkicking. I'm looking at you Luke.
Roast Lamb at The Olinda Creek Hotel in Lilydale. Disappointing. Vegies overdone and the lamb was mutton.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2014, 08:42 PM
B:

Simon Dalrymple
JM
It being a Saturday, I love Sunday being winners

A:

The Redpath love, some by commentators today, just for contesting. I know it's a low base but just running towards the footy isn't enough. It's not a pot, but it should be in perspective.
Austin playing full forward. Bloody hell Ayce, Jones & Campbell, take note there's a spot here if you play consistently well.
Me missing the VFL game

westdog54
12-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Bankers.

Jack, Jack, Jack. Jackety Jack Jack Jack. Jackety Jack Jack Jack. Welcome back son.
Will. When he steps up, boy oh boy does he step up.
JJ. He'll be just fine.

That is all.

G-Mo77
12-07-2014, 08:46 PM
JJ. He'll be just fine.

Did well didn't he. Really impressed with the way he stepped up after such a long time away from AFL.

josie
12-07-2014, 09:21 PM
B:
Macrae showed a lot of character. Nothing phases him
Liked Murphy and Darley playing off the flanks. Darley glides across the turf a little like Murph
Lot to like about our three small forwards...Dahl, Hunter and Hrovat

A:
Our second quarter. No individual deserves an anchor this week.

Totally agree with you Always Right:-I've been saying to all who listen that Darley is a bit silky like Murphy, and not surprisingly Murphy is Darley's mentor. So, so, so good to see the young ones all play well. And I thought Boyd was terrific today (I cannot recall one turnover).

Bumper Bulldogs
12-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Bankers,
Boyd, Minson, Murphy, Morris (our on field leaders) they were very good today
Macrae, Wallis, Hovat, JJ, Dal, Lidda, Hunter, Stringer (our kids) they played really well and under pressure all made strong contributions
Roughead, Morris, Murphy, JJ, Picken Wood (our backline) jellied really well

Anchors - it a shame this week as we really had the best team effort all year, But
Stevens - ball use and opponent awareness, thought O'Meara killed him today
Austin - It's time to hang up the boots young man

SonofScray
12-07-2014, 10:48 PM
BANKERS:
JJ - great return to the senior team, the run and carry he provided was a breath of fresh air.
Jackson McFootscray - terrific game and response to a bit of heat from the coach.
Wilbur - took on all comers, does a power of work every week and just beat up on those GC flog falls.

ANCHORS:
GC's Murphy for his knee in the back. Didn't do any damage but deserves weeks for a shit act.
Dalhaus' goal kicking. Missed a sitter, momentum swung off the back of it.
Incorrect disposal non decisions. I almost gave myself an aneurysm during the 15 mins in the lead up to the Stringer goal.

westbulldog
13-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Bankers
A glimpse of the future
A very committed total team effort on a long road trip.

Anchors
GC's Tom Murphy - a low act, take a rest for 2 Tom

boydogs
13-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Bankers

Work inside the contest, winning the clearances, stoppages & contested ball against O'Meara, Swallow, Martin, Bennell, Prestia and other top draft picks
Outrunning the Suns in the last, coming off a 6 day break in the wet
Jack Macrae showing what he's made of

Anchors

Austin giving us nothing
Lack of movement in the forward line
Bombing long instead of looking for other options

Eastdog
13-07-2014, 01:50 AM
Bankers

Macrae - 43 possessions best game he has played

Hunter

Hrovat

More to mention - just a great effort today to win comfortably

Anchors

1st 10 mins of the 1st quarter and the 2nd quarter

Footscray losing in the VFL today

Twodogs
13-07-2014, 03:38 AM
Jackson MacFootscray. Very good.

SlimPickens
13-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Bankers-
Easton Wood- he bullied Jack Martin around the contest. I liked it.

Jake Stringer- starting to show what his capable of, very rarely beaten and doesn't go to ground.

Jack Macrae- outstanding game.

Our coaching- we refused to let the GC play the style they wanted to, some very good coaching helped us get this win.

Anchors-
Tom Murphy- what a cheap dog act.

Alastair Lynch- "Libba has had a quiet second half so far with only ah 14 possessions". What a douche bag, expert commentary my arse.

That's all.

comrade
13-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Alastair Lynch- "Libba has had a quiet second half so far with only ah 14 possessions". What a douche bag, expert commentary my arse.

Hehe, I shook my head at that one.

What a knob.

Scorlibo
13-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Bankers -

JJ - What a bonus to have him come in as the late inclusion and play so well. Every week please JJ.
Minson's first half - Crazy good from the big guy. Gave Zac Smith a lesson.
Macrae's second half - 29 touches and 2 goals, his ball accumulation ability is Ablett-like. Used the ball well. He's come a long way since being drafted.

Anchors -

Macrae's first half - Thought he displayed fairly well why he copped the spray, was receiving ball on the outside and using it haphazardly.
Tom Murphy - Needs to get plenty of weeks for that. Any time a players makes malicious impact with the spine it has to be treated very seriously.
The penalised Morris spoil - anyone else notice this? It was the perfect spoil running back with the flight on Charlie Dixon, but the umpire still pulled out a free kick. Shocking commentary too to not even talk about it.

Ozza
14-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Bankers:

Minson - was quite dominant, particularly in the first half. And got some footy around the ground which was great to see.
Hunter - very influential in the first quarter, and then a huge goal in the last quarter. Has been a good player since returning to the side.
Stringer - really lifted in the third quarter when the game was precariously positioned. Then continued to get into the right spots in the last quarter.

Anchors:

- Ball use in the second quarter. Hopefully we learn from that (not often we play in matches with a strong breeze anymore!).
- Having to be subjected to Alistair Lynch's 'commentary' - which is basically just him highlighting opposition mistakes if the Bulldogs are fortunate enough to stumble upon a goal or two. Would never be from our good play, just opposition mistakes.
- The first 5-7 minutes of every game we play! Takes at least this amount of time to wake up on a weekly basis! If you only saw the first 5 minutes of the match this week - you'd swear we will lose by 20 goals.

LostDoggy
14-07-2014, 12:13 PM
To be fair, Tom Murphy may have been suffering from uncontrollable instantaneous lower leg cramp due to his age and lack of AFL football this year. I’m sure that’s what he and his legal team will plead should it be challenged.

Sedat
14-07-2014, 12:30 PM
To be fair, Tom Murphy may have been suffering from uncontrollable instantaneous lower leg cramp due to his age and lack of AFL football this year. I’m sure that’s what he and his legal team will plead should it be challenged.
I think it is grossly unfair to cite Tom Murphy for his knee to the back of Stringer. It is supposed to punish the team when a player is suspended - true punishment for GC would be forcing them to extend Murphy's contract by a further 2 years.

always right
14-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Bankers -

Minson's first half - Crazy good from the big guy. Gave Zac Smith a lesson.

You're starting to sound like Dwayne Russell. That's not a good thing.

Twodogs
14-07-2014, 01:44 PM
You're starting to sound like Dwayne Russell. That's not a good thing.

If it was Dwayne Russell it would have all been about how badly Smith was playing and how he was letting his opponent, umm whatsisname from that crappy club, dominate him.

Scorlibo
14-07-2014, 03:20 PM
If it was Dwayne Russell it would have all been about how badly Smith was playing and how he was letting his opponent, umm whatsisname from that crappy club, dominate him.

That's right, it's only a Dwaynism when the compliments are heading to the other team!

Ghost Dog
14-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Bankers: Captainless team. Much written about their out ( Gablett ) but not much about our captain being out.
Anchors: When I can find a hotel with decent internet, I'll let you know.

Bulldog4life
15-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Bankers:

Loved the way that Easton Wood ran backwards into the "unknown" trying to mark. Showed a lot of courage.

Apart from one glaring stuff up I like the look of Darley. His kicking is first class too.

Big Will. After getting beaten by Smith last time we played GC Will stepped up and was terrific.

Anchors

None this week.

Drunken Bum
15-07-2014, 07:05 PM
BANKERS:

Jackson McFootscray

Brilliant, love it :D

boydogs
15-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Apart from one glaring stuff up I like the look of Darley.

It wasn't that bad, Tom Lynch jumped up and got fingertips to it at full stretch. If it was another player he would have gotten away with it

EasternWest
15-07-2014, 08:28 PM
I think it is grossly unfair to cite Tom Murphy for his knee to the back of Stringer. It is supposed to punish the team when a player is suspended - true punishment for GC would be forcing them to extend Murphy's contract by a further 2 years.

Ouch. What a burn.