PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 17 Edition

Eastdog
11-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Once the Round 17 match against Gold Coast Suns is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Three.

GVGjr
12-07-2014, 08:22 PM
- Players of character respond well to a challenge.
- Our young players are responding beyond my expectations.
- Griffen out, a bad quarter and we still finished the game strongly. Still love this club.

westdog54
12-07-2014, 08:23 PM
1. Good players respond to a bake. Great players respond emphatically.
2. No Griff. No Coons. No problem.
3. We could finish the season with 10 wins. Saints and GWS are must wins and North and the Bombers are gettable.

always right
12-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Three future stars...Bonts, Macrae, Stringer
Our young blokes are leading the way and our older blokes are providing the solidity.
Liked the inclusion of Darley and JJ who provided plenty of run and good ball usage.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2014, 08:32 PM
I've never had an easier decision to give 4 votes too JM
Great to watch
Griffen, Smith, Grant, Coons, Higgins, Howard (all first rounders) not playing today... Still plenty in reserve!

craigsahibee
12-07-2014, 08:34 PM
1. There is great spirit amongst the young players at our footy club.
2. 28 points flattered that mob. We really need to start putting teams away. it should have been 42+ tonight.
3. Tom is better than Tony. Already.

lemmon
12-07-2014, 08:35 PM
JJ could still be a very good footballer for us, displayed so needed poise tonight
Will shouldered the captaincy well, stepped his game up particularly early
Macrae may very well be the comps best mid in 4 years

Remi Moses
12-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Just seen highlights and reading reports, so here goes
1. Wonderful for a young man to respond to a public bake( McCartney picked his mark, and he knew it)
2. Unfortunately our win has probably ensued the dirty Bombres make the eight.
3. Good to see JJ have such a good game.

SonofScray
12-07-2014, 11:59 PM
1. We have a fighting spirit burning deep in our latest crop. Up for a physical contest, a few firebrands in the mix. Easy to love.

2. Tom Murphy is a dirty footballer. Deserves weeks.

3. The greatest barrier this Club faces on field is cashing in on effort via the scoreboard.

w3design
13-07-2014, 12:12 AM
1. We probably are one of the best player development clubs in the league atm, full credit to BM and the coaching team.

2. Rest a super star player for half a game last round turn out a brilliant move.

3. We are 1 CHF and 1 CHB away from being a scary good team.

ledge
13-07-2014, 12:53 AM
Bontempelli is a very special kind
Macrae is a very special kind
And Redpath presented and made a contest when he was given a chance.

LostDoggy
13-07-2014, 12:56 AM
Just seen highlights and reading reports, so here goes
1. Wonderful for a young man to respond to a public bake( McCartney picked his mark, and he knew it)
2. Unfortunately our win has probably ensued the dirty Bombres make the eight.
3. Good to see JJ have such a good game.
Let's spend next week ensuring they don't.

1. There is great spirit amongst the young players at our footy club.
2. 28 points flattered that mob. We really need to start putting teams away. it should have been 42+ tonight.
3. Tom is better than Tony. Already.

Long way to go. Has to keep it at this level for over a decade. But yes, looking good.

1. Macca should rip into a young player every week.
2. Minson has the toughest role on the list.
3. Selling games sucks.

boydogs
13-07-2014, 02:02 AM
1. We have outgrown the defensive crowd the contest gameplan and need to start using our outside hurt factor players
2. Macrae can add character to his repetoire
3. Austin isn't up to it

Bulldog4life
13-07-2014, 02:05 PM
1. JJ gives a lot of important run to our team.

2. Murph is playing better than ever.

3. Redpath improved from last week and I am looking forward to see if it continues next week.

Scorlibo
13-07-2014, 02:14 PM
1. Mitch Wallis will be a Bulldog champion by career's end. Great game from him.
2. We have missed JJ enormously this year.
3. We can win a flag with our current group of young players.

Ozza
13-07-2014, 02:48 PM
1. When players are prepared to run and follow up there own footy (and get it back) the chain reaction sees us in full flight pretty quickly.
2. We are learning how to adjust mid game and address issues out on the ground. Not immediately - but we're getting there.
3. Teams are going to have to find some 190cm plus taggers...because Bonti and Macrae are pretty awkward match ups. Bonti is already great at getting front position and being a handful.

comrade
13-07-2014, 03:22 PM
3. We can win a flag with our current group of young players.

Agree that the main core is building nicely but do you think our current forward set up is good enough to do the job? We're one or two short, IMO and will be found out under the fierce pressure of finals footy where the long bomb into the 50 is a required option ala 2008-2010.

I'd also like another big man down back along with Roughy, though I hold high hopes for Fletch. (I see Talia as more of a third tall, Shaggy type)

Scorlibo
13-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Agree that the main core is building nicely but do you think our current forward set up is good enough to do the job? We're one or two short, IMO and will be found out under the fierce pressure of finals footy where the long bomb into the 50 is a required option ala 2008-2010.

I'd also like another big man down back along with Roughy, though I hold high hopes for Fletch. (I see Talia as more of a third tall, Shaggy type)

I think you're spot on with the need for another big guy down back, possibly even two given that Dale will be retiring in the near future and he has been playing primarily against taller opposition.

Up forward we have a surplus of talent, to be honest. Dahlhaus, Hrovat, Hunter, Honeychurch, Dickson and Higgins are all natural forward of centre players, and all except Honeychurch have proven or are proving themselves to be AFL quality. On top of that we have Grant, Stringer and Crameri as the mid-tall sized forwards, again all are AFL quality. Then there's guys like Koby Stevens and Clay Smith who will need to be able to play a lot of time as high half-forwards. Our key position forward stocks are low, but with Grant, Stringer and Crameri all capable of taking a grab and leading up, we only need one genuine big guy in the forward line, especially given that when Campbell and Cordy take over in the ruck, they will each need to spend time forward. As a result of all this, all we're really counting on is one of Jones and Redpath becoming good AFL players. That's no certainty, but it's also only one spot in the forward line, and something we may be able to deal with as the next few years unfold.

whythelongface
15-07-2014, 09:37 AM
I think you're spot on with the need for another big guy down back, possibly even two given that Dale will be retiring in the near future and he has been playing primarily against taller opposition.

Up forward we have a surplus of talent, to be honest. Dahlhaus, Hrovat, Hunter, Honeychurch, Dickson and Higgins are all natural forward of centre players, and all except Honeychurch have proven or are proving themselves to be AFL quality. On top of that we have Grant, Stringer and Crameri as the mid-tall sized forwards, again all are AFL quality. Then there's guys like Koby Stevens and Clay Smith who will need to be able to play a lot of time as high half-forwards. Our key position forward stocks are low, but with Grant, Stringer and Crameri all capable of taking a grab and leading up, we only need one genuine big guy in the forward line, especially given that when Campbell and Cordy take over in the ruck, they will each need to spend time forward. As a result of all this, all we're really counting on is one of Jones and Redpath becoming good AFL players. That's no certainty, but it's also only one spot in the forward line, and something we may be able to deal with as the next few years unfold.

and add to this that no doubt this is an area (our Key Position Forwards) our recruitment team will be addressing at year's end (this year or next) by being in the market for another decent tall/s either through the draft or via a trade.

whythelongface
15-07-2014, 09:43 AM
1. Our young players continue to get better every week and are starting to change games themselves. Love what I am seeing.
2. We had a poor patch in the 2nd quarter and were able to hold GC to only two goals during this period. Normally an opposition team would pile on 6 to 8 goals during this period. We seem to be learning to be able to defensively shut down teams when they are dominating - long way to go and there will be times when teams do kick 6 to 8 goals in a row but that will be more the exception than the norm.
3. Liam Picken has really played well this year. I just looked at his profile and didn't realise that he is already 28 - thought he was 25 -26ish.