PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 18 vs Essendon

Eastdog
11-07-2014, 09:08 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 18 game against Essendon at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Bada da bump.

G-Mo77
12-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Going to be some tough decisions. Honeychurch and Darley could be the unlucky ones. Griff, Gia and Smith after today would be pushing for selection.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Going to be some tough decisions. Honeychurch and Darley could be the unlucky ones. Griff, Gia and Smith after today would be pushing for selection.

At the risk of bull dust attacks, I can see Smith & Griffen, but I'm not sure I would have Gia in at the expense of Mitch or Sam. I'd prefer to see where they are at and a decent run might be the spark or confidence for them to transition up. Gia gets a farewell match for 15 years of amazing service though.

G-Mo77
12-07-2014, 08:30 PM
At the risk of bull dust attacks, I can see Smith & Griffen, but I'm not sure I would have Gia in at the expense of Mitch or Sam. I'd prefer to see where they are at and a decent run might be the spark or confidence for them to transition up. Gia gets a farewell match for 15 years of amazing service though.

Agree but I think he'll be in the mix for selection as will Higgins.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2014, 08:33 PM

I missed the VFL, how did Higgins go?

always right
12-07-2014, 08:35 PM
I missed the VFL, how did Higgins go?
Just okay. The only one bashing the door down to be elevated was Smith.

azabob
12-07-2014, 08:35 PM

I'm not so sure. I think we may start to see if older players ala Gia and Higgins if they are on par form wise with youngsters, the younger players may play.

lemmon
12-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Smith and Griff in for Darley and Honeychurch.

Honeychurch has had a nice taste and was exciting tonight but Smith can play the high half forward role and needs games if this year is to be anything but a write off. Darley unlucky but Griffen needs to be in there and JJ did more tonight.

always right
12-07-2014, 08:38 PM
No way will Darley be dropped again after another very solid game.

Only one in next week.....Either Griff (if fit) or Smith.

Unlucky outs....Honeychurch

G-Mo77
12-07-2014, 08:44 PM

Hope he doesn't. He was terribly unlucky last time it's possible he could be the odd one out again unfortunately.

Hotdog60
12-07-2014, 08:47 PM
I would give Gia the last home game, playing him serves no purpose to our ladder position but the games in his replacements could be invaluable.
In Smith, Roberts. Out Honeychurch, Austin

Griff, if ok omit Roberts

G-Mo77
12-07-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm not so sure. I think we may start to see if older players ala Gia and Higgins if they are on par form wise with youngsters, the younger players may play.

And again I hope this is the way we go from here on. Not sure if we will though. Those Thursday night selections have left me in disbelief all year.

Higgins is 26 Aza.

GVGjr
12-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Griffen for Darley. Darley was good today and has a future but after the game today JJ should be ahead of him.

Gia and/or Smith might pressure Honeychurch

comrade
12-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Unleash hell.

I mean Clay Smith. Unleash Clay Smith,

Bumper Bulldogs
12-07-2014, 09:14 PM
I think we should go with dropping Stevens & Austin to bring in Griff and Smith. Only concern i have is that Bonts looked like he needed a rest.

B - Picken, Roughead, Wood
HB - Murphy, Morris, Johannisen
C - Smith, Boyd, Macrae
HF - Stringer, Crameri, Bontempelli
F - Dal, Redpath, Hunter
R - Minson, Griffen, Libba
B - Wallis, Darley, Hrovat
Sub - Honeychurch

boydogs
12-07-2014, 09:55 PM

He was subbed off, played OK but the green & red vests are hints at possible selection changes

Out: Austin, Honeychurch, Stevens, Redpath
In: Roberts, Griffen, Smith, Campbell

azabob
12-07-2014, 10:12 PM
He was subbed off, played OK but the green & red vests are hints at possible selection changes

Out: Austin, Honeychurch, Stevens, Redpath
In: Roberts, Griffen, Smith, Campbell

Except for last week - Macrae / Austin.

Four changes after a good win? Surely not?

Rocco Jones
12-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Out- Darley, Austin
In- Griffen, Talia

Bit harsh on Darley to be dropped after one game twice in a row but Griffen being the in on both occasions says a bit! I think it's more about how it's handled and I think that would be a strength of B-Mac's.

The Doctor
12-07-2014, 10:49 PM
In: Griffen, Talia, Campbell

Out: Honeychurch, Austin, Redpath

SonofScray
13-07-2014, 12:08 AM
I'd consider bringing in Smith and Talia from the reserves and sending Hrovat or Honeychurch back to the VFL with Austin.

always right
13-07-2014, 12:33 AM
I'd consider bringing in Smith and Talia from the reserves and sending Hrovat or Honeychurch back to the VFL with Austin.

Why would you drop Hrovat after his best game for the club?

Bulldog4life
13-07-2014, 12:39 AM
In: Griffen, Talia

Out: Honeychurch...very unlucky, Austin

Would love to fit Clay in too.

SonofScray
13-07-2014, 01:04 AM
Why would you drop Hrovat after his best game for the club?

I'd be more inclined to go with the Honeychurch option, just so he keeps getting game time. Neither would be in the mix for getting dropped on form, just rotating players through.

Hrovat played well, though there was a horror patch in the game where his kicking really hurt us. Just couldn't get it through traffic, or to advantage. Loved what he did in terms of getting hands on the ball and working up to the contest. Someone should make way for Smith, who I'd like too see come in as a forward. On what I've seen of both so far and what Smith provided in the VFL they'd be competing for the same spot in the seniors.

It could be a more like for like swap with Stevens I suppose but we'd be looking at a different role.

LostDoggy
13-07-2014, 01:18 AM
After the conditions up top, would expect a fair few changes this week.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-07-2014, 01:23 AM
After the conditions up top, would expect a fair few changes this week.

A good point. Probably going to be some sore boys, so it's hard to know who will miss.

boydogs
13-07-2014, 02:20 AM
Except for last week - Macrae / Austin.

It's not every time, but Always Right said there was no way - he wouldn't have been subbed off if he wasn't one of our poorer performers

Four changes after a good win? Surely not?

Redpath won't happen but I think there will be 3, Griffen & Smith to come in and surely this week Austin will get the chop for another tall

SlimPickens
13-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Out: Darley, Honey and Austin

In: Smith, Jones and Griffen.

Jones was very good yesterday and provides a better forward option then Austin.

Honey/Darley unlucky but Smith and Griff come in.

Scorlibo
13-07-2014, 01:21 PM
I can't see Darley being dropped, or Redpath.

In: Roberts, Griffen.
Out: Austin, Honeychurch.

Maddog37
13-07-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm hoping for a couple of injuries to key Essendon players today versus the Pies. Nothing serious but a Heppel hammy or a Carlisle corky would be nice.

Just enough to knock the wind completely out of their sails and make it all seem a bit much coming up against a suddenly rampaging young Bulldog squad.

F'scary
13-07-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm joining the chorus for getting more games into the younger players. No room for Gia or Higgins next week.

Looks like Hrovat is coming along nicely. Very pleased to learn about JJ's excellent return to form.

F'scary
13-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Now I'm watching the game on the Big Pond smart replay.

anfo27
13-07-2014, 04:20 PM
OUT: Austin- not up to it, no idea when he has the footy in his hands
Darley- was ok but competing with JJ & JJ was much better
Honeychurch- has done nothing wrong but Smith needs to come in, was outstanding yesterday.

IN: Griffen, Smith & Roberts

lemmon
13-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Watching the Dons at the moment and I seriously like our chances, they're fairly even but few real big names with Watson out. I'd back Wallis in on Heppell and Picken to go with Zaharakis who's a fair barometer for them.

I'd like Roberts or Austin somewhere in the back 6 just so Morris doesn't have to play key position. The Essendon big forwards are genuine 200 cms who jump at it, Roughead will blanket Carlisle but I don't think Morris can go with Daniher physically. It's being shown today, Carlisle is giving Maxwell a bath in the contest even if he hasn't capitalised. Either Austin get's another week or Roberts is a must for mine. Morris can do the job on Chapman when he's up forward.

F'scary
13-07-2014, 05:02 PM
I thought Stevens earned his keep this week. And I can see why the coach sticks with him.

Happy Days
13-07-2014, 05:05 PM
After such a particularly stern arse whooping I'm remiss to make many changes, but;

In: Smith, Griffen, Grant

Out: Redpath, Austin, Darley

I think we'll be good down back with just Roughy, Morris and Wood. Austin was playing (?) forward this week anyway and the GC are far taller than Essendon. Redpath can't bend over and Grant is sick and has no business being in the VFL.

Darley is stiff but it's between him and JJ for one spot, and JJ was excellent so bad luck Sam.

lemmon
13-07-2014, 05:23 PM
After such a particularly stern arse whooping I'm remiss to make many changes, but;

In: Smith, Griffen, Grant

Out: Redpath, Austin, Darley

I think we'll be good down back with just Roughy, Morris and Wood. Austin was playing (?) forward this week anyway and the GC are far taller than Essendon.

Last night Lynch, Day and Dixon combined for 4 contested marks and 9 marks overall, at half time Carlisle and Daniher already have 5 contested marks and 14 marks overall, Carlisle in particular looks in excellent touch. You can't underestimate the hot, slippery conditions in Cairns last night compared to how things will be under the roof next week, even last night despite having a good evening Morris was rag-dolled a few times, I think it was Dixon who took a mark early that Dale simply couldn't get to at his size.

We look far too short if we go in with Roughy and Morris as the only key backs, I'd prefer Roberts played but Austin is fairly similar physically. Collingwood have gone with Frost and Maxwell as their key backs today and are paying for it at the moment, the Dons are going fast and long and should be further ahead. We'd be stupid to make the same mistake.

kruder
13-07-2014, 05:30 PM
I wonder if its Griffs back again? Anyone believe the old sick line?

boydogs
13-07-2014, 06:13 PM
I wonder if its Griffs back again? Anyone believe the old sick line?

Macca eluded to food poisoning in the presser

SlimPickens
13-07-2014, 06:37 PM
I thought Stevens earned his keep this week. And I can see why the coach sticks with him.

I'm glad you pointed this out Koby gets a fair bit of slack most weeks (from you mainly ;)), but I thought he was very serviceable yesterday. He is one of, if not the hardest runner at our club and I thought his ball use was very good. Some calling for him to be dropped this week, is off the mark in my opinion.

josie
13-07-2014, 06:45 PM
I can't see Darley being dropped, or Redpath.

In: Roberts, Griffen.
Out: Austin, Honeychurch.

Agree with Scorlibo's in & outs. I thought Fletcher looked more composed than Talia in VFL game. I also expected more from Jones - he really should have taken more marks & consequently had more shots on goals (considering he got both hands on quite a few).

Bulldog Joe
13-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Last night Lynch, Day and Dixon combined for 4 contested marks and 9 marks overall, at half time Carlisle and Daniher already have 5 contested marks and 14 marks overall, Carlisle in particular looks in excellent touch. You can't underestimate the hot, slippery conditions in Cairns last night compared to how things will be under the roof next week, even last night despite having a good evening Morris was rag-dolled a few times, I think it was Dixon who took a mark early that Dale simply couldn't get to at his size.

We look far too short if we go in with Roughy and Morris as the only key backs, I'd prefer Roberts played but Austin is fairly similar physically. Collingwood have gone with Frost and Maxwell as their key backs today and are paying for it at the moment, the Dons are going fast and long and should be further ahead. We'd be stupid to make the same mistake.

The hot conditions in Cairns did not eventuate.
I was there and it was so cool before the game started I actually had the shivers.
As the evening came the wind dropped and it was a perfect balmy night for footy.
There was no excuse for any dropped marks due to the conditions.

We also will have no excuse for next week on the basis of playing in heat as there was no heat. With an 8 day recovery we should be in tip top shape.

For me the change would be Austin and Honeychurch out for Griffen and Roberts.

Happy Days
13-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Who would the third key back play on? Dixon is much much bigger than Carlisle and I'd prefer Morris on him than anyone in the wings. Ambrose plays as their third tall and, in addition to being a total hack, isn't overly big and will be smashed by Wood.

Greystache
13-07-2014, 08:22 PM
In- Griffen, Roberts, Smith

Out-Austin, Darley, Honeychurch

I went to the Essendon game tonight and we absolutely need to play 2 genuine tall defenders. Roughy is a good match up for Carlisle and Roberts is the best bet for Daniher, Austin isn't an AFL key defender. Clay Smith was easily BOG in the VFL and replaces an unlucky Honeychurch. If Griff is fit he replaces Darley.

No one else from the VFL is demanding promotion, although I'd like us to consider playing Campbell to prevent Hooker and Fletcher sagging off and taking intercept marks, but we won't.

lemmon
13-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Who would the third key back play on? Dixon is much much bigger than Carlisle and I'd prefer Morris on him than anyone in the wings. Ambrose plays as their third tall and, in addition to being a total hack, isn't overly big and will be smashed by Wood.
Morris has always played better on the smaller men, I'd back him to go to any small in the Essendon forward line and towel them up.

Agree with your changes Grey, would be making the same ones

The Underdog
13-07-2014, 08:41 PM

I went to the Essendon game tonight and we absolutely need to play 2 genuine tall defenders. Roughy is a good match up for Carlisle and Roberts is the best bet for Daniher, Austin isn't an AFL key defender. Clay Smith was easily BOG in the VFL and replaces an unlucky Honeychurch. If Griff is fit he replaces Darley.

No one else from the VFL is demanding promotion, although I'd like us to consider playing Campbell to prevent Hooker and Fletcher sagging off and taking intercept marks, but we won't.

Pretty much agree. I don't mind Austin but he's out of form. That 2nd tall defender spot is a weakness at the moment but don't mind giving Roberts another shot. Wasn't hugely impressed with Talia in the Footscray game. Certainly not as a match up for Daniher or Carlisle.
Honey and Darley are super unlucky but Griff is a non-negotiable and Smith was super impressive in the VFL.

westdog54
13-07-2014, 09:30 PM

Who would you send Morris to?

always right
13-07-2014, 09:34 PM
I'd love it if we were in a position to play Morris on Chapman. He's as strong as Chapman and quicker. It also allows us to use Morris as a plan B for their tall forwards rather than our only option.

Greystache
13-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Who would you send Morris to?

A combination depending on match ups- Winderlich, or Ryder if he pushes forward.

BulldogBelle
13-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Griffen for Honeychurch. No other changes. Smith is knocking the door down and will come in as soon as someone drops off or is injured, but the guys that are doing the job deserve to keep their spot. The only other change I would even consider is bringing in Tom Campbell. Who for I'm not sure. JJ or Darley but it would be about team balance, not form. I do like a second ruckman.

LostDoggy
14-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Minson was without a doubt the most influential player on the ground in the first half. But he pretty much worked himself into the ground come the second half. He needs more of a chop out.

Ozza
14-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Macca has guaranteed Redpath his spot already - so no point speculating on his position. And it probably rules out Campbell as well.

Griffen to come in for Honeychurch.
Roberts for Austin.

To me, Roberts looked the better defender out of him and Talia in the VFL on Saturday. '
Quite like what Darley brings to the side. Happy for him to play again, despite also wanting to see Smith and Tutt in.

craigsahibee
14-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Austin out for either Roberts or Talia.

Griffen to replace an unlucky Honeychurch or Darley.

No need to rush Smith in yet.

azabob
14-07-2014, 11:12 AM
To me, Roberts looked the better defender out of him and Talia in the VFL on Saturday. '

Roberts has looked the better defender all year.

Agree with your other change as well.

LostDoggy
14-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Did anyone else see Redpath's bump on Shaw? There were no replays of the incident, but he elected to bump and certaintly made contact to Shaw's head.

Only seeing it once live, I get the feeling he misses a week.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Did anyone else see Redpath's bump on Shaw? There were no replays of the incident, but he elected to bump and certaintly made contact to Shaw's head.

Yes it stuck out like the proverbial to me.

LostDoggy
14-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Yes it stuck out like the proverbial to me.

Looks like he got away with it. Wasn't even mentioned in the incidents assessed this weekend.

LostDoggy
14-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Write a letter Jaytee.

F'scary
14-07-2014, 11:22 PM

Shhhhhhhhh!

JohnGentStand
15-07-2014, 08:44 PM
In : Griffen Out: Sweetjesus

Darley to sub.

Meeting adjourned..!

The Doctor
15-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Macca has guaranteed Redpath his spot already - so no point speculating on his position. And it probably rules out Campbell as well.

I can understand giving Redpath a go. But he's had 2 games, kicked 1 goal, and generally looked out of his depth. Why should he get more of a go than someone like Campbell who has shown he can play well at the top level and can also give Minson some decent help?

boydogs
15-07-2014, 10:02 PM
I can understand giving Redpath a go. But he's had 2 games, kicked 1 goal, and generally looked out of his depth. Why should he get more of a go than someone like Campbell who has shown he can play well at the top level and can also give Minson some decent help?

Agree

Hotdog60
15-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Maybe they are making sure before they either tick or put a line through

The Bulldogs Bite
15-07-2014, 10:56 PM

Surely Campbell must be wondering what he has to do to get a game.

Other clubs must be in his ear (even though he's contracted).

comrade
15-07-2014, 11:21 PM

Other clubs must be in his ear (even though he's contracted).

I'm convinced we have a grand plan for the Campbell/Cordy combination.

Any chance we're forgoing senior game time for both players where they will have limited opportunities in the ruck, in lieu of more responsibility and a chance to develop a cohesive partnership via our own VFL team? The question is: will this prepare them better for AFL duties and what is our plan for big Will?

Twodogs
16-07-2014, 12:34 AM
I'm convinced we have a grand plan for the Campbell/Cordy combination.

Any chance we're forgoing senior game time for both players where they will have limited opportunities in the ruck, in lieu of more responsibility and a chance to develop a cohesive partnership via our own VFL team? The question is: will this prepare them better for AFL duties and what is our plan for big Will?

I agree with what you say about them developing Cordy/Campbell as a partnership. I would expect to see them come into the side together at some stage this year.

jeemak
16-07-2014, 12:51 AM
I agree with what you say about them developing Cordy/Campbell as a partnership. I would expect to see them come into the side together at some stage this year.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that TD.

If we were going to give Minson a rest and play them both together I reckon it would have happened by now (especially considering we have a bye after this week). Cordy as far as I can tell is being made to play out his time in the twos gaining continuity, whilst even though Campbell has been named emergency a number of times he isn't seen as a priority over a Redpath upgrade decision even though he's demonstrated he can show something at the level.

Some comments from Bmac late last year or early this year gave an insight into the plight of each of Campbell and Cordy. Essentially he said he's happy for them to just get some games in the twos and be the subject of a long term plan.

I'd prefer to see each of them get a few games this year, but time is running out for both of them. I'm not entirely happy that Campbell hasn't been given more chances, or Cordy given a game here or there but to this point the development of our list and its young players has been great this year so I'll await the outcome before I get too worried about it.

Next year early in the piece I think we'll see each/one of Campbell and Cordy given a decent crack in the seniors, presuming they have good preseasons.

bornadog
16-07-2014, 02:36 AM
Coming back from injury:

Player
Injury
Duration

Ryan Griffen (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/ryan-griffen)
illness
available

Adam Cooney (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/adam-cooney)
hamstring
test

Tory Dickson (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/tory-dickson)
ruptured pectoral
test

Josh Prudden (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/josh-prudden)
knee
tbc

Dry Rot
16-07-2014, 02:52 AM
Coming back from injury:

Player
Injury
Duration

Ryan Griffen (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/ryan-griffen)
illness
available

Adam Cooney (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/adam-cooney)
hamstring
test

Tory Dickson (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/tory-dickson)
ruptured pectoral
test

Josh Prudden (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/josh-prudden)
knee
tbc

Is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble seeing where Dickson fits in now?

And, I'm sorry say, Cooney?

Re Cooney, I wouldn't drop Bonts, the Rat or Hunter to fit him in now.

Remi Moses
16-07-2014, 05:30 AM
I'd keep redpath playing.
He's had one game in the slosh at Geelong, and deserves longer.
Would have liked to see Campbell play more, but unfortunately Will likes to be the lone wolf.

bornadog
16-07-2014, 06:15 AM
I'd keep redpath playing.
He's had one game in the slosh at Geelong, and deserves longer.
Would have liked to see Campbell play more, but unfortunately Will likes to be the lone wolf.

Macca said he would be given 4 games at least, so won't be dropped.

Remi Moses
16-07-2014, 06:42 AM
Macca said he would be given 4 games at least, so won't be dropped.

Dead right. Deserves more time, and on the limited vision I saw and listening to the game he performed well.
Pressure acts and tackles are nearly more important than getting on the end of a few these days.

LostDoggy
16-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Coming back from injury:

Player
Injury
Duration

illness
available

hamstring
test

ruptured pectoral
test

knee
tbc

So Pearce has gone from TBC - for around three weeks, to not on the injury list at all:D Does anyone at the club save the Excel spreadsheet or does it crash constantly and they go by memory from week to week?

Mofra
16-07-2014, 10:53 AM
He has gotten games this year - he's a much better ruckman than he is a forward and his time at AFL level showed that

azabob
16-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Is anyone else concerned that Prudden is back on the injury list only after a couple of VFL games?

Sedat
16-07-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm also sceptical that he'll make it in the long run but I reckon 2 games is too small a sample size to make that determination, especially considering that one of those games was in the slop at Geelong. I'm happy to see him get another 2-3 games to see what he can bring to the table at this level.

SlimPickens
16-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Is anyone else concerned that Prudden is back on the injury list only after a couple of VFL games?

Not really as they're impact injuries and not soft tissue strains etc. If you watch Josh play he is a maniac around the contest and has just been unlucky. I still hold a lot of confidence that Josh will be a long term player.

soupman
16-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Is this week a ticketed game or can we just get in with our general admission memberships?

The AFL site doesn't seem to mention A-reserve or any of the other categories for any games that I can see. Have they scrapped it or am I just not looking hard enough?

The Underdog
16-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Is this week a ticketed game or can we just get in with our general admission memberships?

The AFL site doesn't seem to mention A-reserve or any of the other categories for any games that I can see. Have they scrapped it or am I just not looking hard enough?

I believe GA memberships are fine. I haven't seen anything to contradict that.

Ozza
16-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Not really as they're impact injuries and not soft tissue strains etc. If you watch Josh play he is a maniac around the contest and has just been unlucky. I still hold a lot of confidence that Josh will be a long term player.

Thought he looked terrific - really clean around the contest in challenging conditions - before hurting himself on the weekend. Hopefully he comes up in time for this Sunday's game.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-07-2014, 04:39 PM
He has gotten games this year - he's a much better ruckman than he is a forward and his time at AFL level showed that

He has played twice and been the scapegoat both times.

Minson has had a poor year and at the very least needed quality support, and despite the fact that Campbell is a better ruckman than forward (best performed ruck in VFL?) he still offers something up forward too. Mind you, aside from the last month, we've been struggling to play attractive, structured, attacking footy - not as though Campbell couldn't crack a game because we were playing so well.

Simple fact is he should have got more games and I have no doubt other clubs will be trying to reinforce this to him.

jeemak
16-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Campbell wasn't a scapegoat in those games. He was poor and probably didn't do enough to keep his spot.

I agree he should have been rewarded for his VFL form though, it provides a good incentive for players to keep performing well at the lower level.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Campbell wasn't a scapegoat in those games. He was poor and probably didn't do enough to keep his spot.

I agree he should have been rewarded for his VFL form though, it provides a good incentive for players to keep performing well at the lower level.

Nobody played well in round one and we got mauled.

He started off well in the game v Adelaide, faded and got subbed. Again - there were worse players on the day.

Greystache
16-07-2014, 05:44 PM

He started off well in the game v Adelaide, faded and got subbed. Again - there were worse players on the day.

Exactly, he's played about 6.5 quarters for the season, while being close to our best player for Footscray. He's limited by Minson being such a limited player, but he's deserved to play a lot more senior footy than he has.

lemmon
16-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Exactly, he's played about 6.5 quarters for the season, while being close to our best player for Footscray. He's limited by Minson being such a limited player, but he's deserved to play a lot more senior footy than he has.

Especially after what was very good form at the back end of last year as a forward. Grant got a whole heap of love for his return and while Campbell perhaps didn't have the same impact his game against the Swans was particularly encouraging as a pack buster leading out of the square. The big mystery of 2014 for me is how Campbell hasn't played more footy in a position that we so sorely lack.

bornadog
16-07-2014, 05:56 PM

I agree Jeemak, didn't do what the coach asked him to do. Heard Macca at a function describing what he should be doing and what he needs to do in the long term. Macca also said he is very patient with both Campbell and Cordy and is not worried at this stage. He will take over from Minson in the next few years, but in the mean time he is doing well in the VFL.

Personally, I would like him to come in and relieve Minson for more than 10% of the time in the ruck.

Remi Moses
16-07-2014, 05:59 PM
The sub rule has effectively killed off the second ruck, and if he isn't a dangerous forward he is a liability.
The second ruck has to do both proficiently and right now you'd say Tom's more a ruck than forward.
Unfortunately with Will he is a ruck only, and performs better as the number one banana.
In a nutshell with Minson still there Tom's not going to get a gig.

Happy Days
16-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Campbell is a year younger than Redpath and has shown 10x the ability even as a forward at AFL level, as well as the ability to actually bend over and pick up a ball. Why isn't he being gifted 4 games for no reason?

bulldogtragic
16-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Campbell is a year younger than Redpath and has shown 10x the ability even as a forward at AFL level, as well as the ability to actually bend over and pick up a ball. Why isn't he being gifted 4 games for no reason?

Exactly. I know the score book says Redpath has booted a few, but the VFL games i've been to he's been my main focus. In the ANZAC night game I watched him for two quarters behind the goals and nothing else. I've was not convinced then and still remain unconvinced, and the praise he gets for being big and only contesting a pack frustrates me. Desperation over the years has made us believe in the wrong talls and I'm convinced it's happening again. That Cordy as a forward does even less speaks to Cordy not Redpath, but at least Cordy could play ruck potentially. Playing more talented kids is bearing fruit across the ground at the moment except in KP's where Redpath and Austin are clogging the list while Campbell, Talia and even Roberts are giving a good spine to Footscray.

Maddog37
16-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Tom is a ruck man and Redpath is a key forward. Simple.

I would like to think that in the not to distant future Tom will be beating Minno in all the competitive work at training and will naturally take over as number one ruck. This has the added benefit of keeping Wil motivated. As long as we can stop other clubs from poaching Tom then all is good.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-07-2014, 06:44 PM

By your calculations there were worse, but in the match committee eyes he must've transgressed or not shown enough in key areas to keep his spot. I'm certain that the coach would rather play him than not, if he felt confident he could perform against the criteria they have set him. I doubt the coaches are so malicious as to make him a scapegoat when he potentially offers the attributes the team needs. I can therefore only presume he has been made aware of the things he needs to do to get a spot.

chef
16-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Tom is a ruck man and Redpath is a key forward. Simple.

I would like to think that in the not to distant future Tom will be beating Minno in all the competitive work at training and will naturally take over as number one ruck. This has the added benefit of keeping Wil motivated. As long as we can stop other clubs from poaching Tom then all is good.

Tom showed at the tail end of last season he's got a bit of talent as a KPF.

SlimPickens
16-07-2014, 06:58 PM

He already is and does quite comfortably.

Remi Moses
16-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Redpath is a forward and Tom's a ruckman.
It's a bit like back in the mid 2000's when Darcy got hurt and everyone was pumping him up as a 70 goal returning forward.
He showed he was a ruck who could pinch hit up forward like Campbell is.

Happy Days
16-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Redpath is a forward and Tom's a ruckman.
It's a bit like back in the mid 2000's when Darcy got hurt and everyone was pumping him up as a 70 goal returning forward.
He showed he was a ruck who could pinch hit up forward like Campbell is.

I'd rather a pinch hitting ruckman than whatever it is Redpath is doing.

Maddog37
16-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Article on Bulldogs website about Tom relates to this thread.

Remi Moses
16-07-2014, 10:35 PM
I'd rather a pinch hitting ruckman than whatever it is Redpath is doing.

Would wanna give the guy more than 2 games ( one in the wet) to see if he has anything.
Obviously grooming to take over Will's spot and the fact that rucks take until at least their mid 20's to mature, I'm sure that's the plan.
People read to much into the last 6 or so games last season, as we knocked over a few teams already on the Tarmac waiting for holidays.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-07-2014, 02:00 AM
FFS Redpath has played two games.
What is a supporter? Is it someone who just wants the pleasure of winning and demands results without any patience or sense of faith?

LostDoggy
17-07-2014, 09:44 AM
I think the underlining issue is Redpath is getting praise for crashing packs, bringing the ball to ground ect, which is fantastic. However Campbell has also shown is he capable of doing this and much more as per the end of last year as a forward.

It would also allow Will to cop more of a chopout. Will was massive in the first half against the Suns, but was abolutely knackered in the last quarter especially.

Having said that, lets see how Redpath can perform under the roof this week.

Bulldog4life
17-07-2014, 11:45 AM
The difference is that Redpath is playing to determine whether he will stay on the list next year. Campbell and Cordy will be on that list. We must give the guy the opportunity to prove himself. Not just two games.

BulldogBelle
17-07-2014, 01:20 PM
I think we should just reward players with very good VFL form. Its so important to set the culture for promotion right now in these early days of having our fantastic standalone team. I also think we should persist with Redpath next year, we've given him 3 years, we may see a real development in the 4th - which could pay better dividends than another roughie drafted in his position.

LostDoggy
17-07-2014, 01:51 PM
The chances of Redpath not being on the primary list next year are next to zero. He'll be upgraded. Tom Williams is gone. We've put three years into him on the rookie list. If he was recruited with anything other than two-three years worth of development needed as a minimum it'd be a surprise.

I'm amazed at the polarisation he's attracted. Two games he's played, as a big man, in the hardest area of the field to master, in a developing team - and people have been writing him off for weeks even before he debuted. Pathetic.

anfo27
17-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Just wonder what happens with Cooney this week. Is due back from that hamstring injury this week & usually big name players come straight back in but not sure how i'd feel seeing him come straight in at the expense of Smith or another kid who has been doing well. Where is he at?

Scorlibo
17-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Redpath had an incredibly consistent run of form at Footscray to earn his time in the Senior side. From round 3 to round 11, he played 8 games. Of those 8, he kicked multiple goals in 7, including 3 bags of 3 and 3 bags of 4. He only dipped below 10 disposals once. He averaged 5.8 marks. He played with presence and was an enormous part of why Footscray ascended the ladder.

The guy has earned his opportunity and seems to be on an upward trend at AFL level given the discrepancy in performance from his first game to his second. What I really like about him though is that he's proven himself dependable. He doesn't do anything all that special with his leading patterns (doesn't try to sneak into pockets of space), he just leads at the ball carrier and judges the flight of the ball well enough to properly impact the contest (and keeps his feet, too). That means a fair bit to midfielders, to have a big guy who they can count on presenting in clear vision during the split second they must kick the ball forward.

Bulldog4life
17-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Just wonder what happens with Cooney this week. Is due back from that hamstring injury this week & usually big name players come straight back in but not sure how i'd feel seeing him come straight in at the expense of Smith or another kid who has been doing well. Where is he at?

If Coons is available he plays along with Griff. Who to drop? That is the question.

josie
17-07-2014, 07:38 PM
The chances of Redpath not being on the primary list next year are next to zero. He'll be upgraded. Tom Williams is gone. We've put three years into him on the rookie list. If he was recruited with anything other than two-three years worth of development needed as a minimum it'd be a surprise.

I'm amazed at the polarisation he's attracted. Two games he's played, as a big man, in the hardest area of the field to master, in a developing team - and people have been writing him off for weeks even before he debuted. Pathetic.

Hear, hear !!

whythelongface
17-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Ins: Cooney; Griffen and Campbell

No outs at this stage

Webby
17-07-2014, 07:51 PM
I see Wood is demoted to the bench..... WTF..??!!

The Bulldogs Bite
17-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Smith is so incredibly stiff. Good to see Cooney/Griff back, but I hope Coons is fit enough.

LostDoggy
17-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Honeychurch & Darley out I suppose
Hard to get a game now

always right
17-07-2014, 08:27 PM
I see Wood is demoted to the bench..... WTF..??!!

Means nothing.

jeemak
17-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Does Picken have a match up this week?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2014, 09:14 PM
I am a little surprised that Cooney is straight in this week. Make no mistake I think very highly of him and what he has been for our club, but in my mind it is no longer a given he is in our best 22 week in week out. Furthermore I'm not convinced his inclusion is necessarily in our best interests going forward.
There is a changing of the guard at our club and I just don't know if he has the defensive capabilities in his game to be able to play a pivotal role in our gameplan over some of our kids who can buy in to what Macca wants.
And in saying that I hope he makes a fool of me and lights it up on Sunday evening.

jeemak
17-07-2014, 09:20 PM
I think Cooney's an immediate inclusion after a three game string, based on form this year. He's had the odd dip, but overall he's been one of our better performers given Griff's absence and Libba's ordinary early form.

We tend to overestimate the capability of our younger players to back up after a four week stretch of pretty good form. Our opposition this week will work us a fair bit harder than what they did last week and a couple of harder and older bodies coming in is a good thing.

lemmon
17-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Does Picken have a match up this week?

Zaharakis, Heppell, Stanton. I'd send Wallis to Heppell and Picken to Zaharakis

kruder
17-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Love that Higgins is not straight back in. Smith is stiff but like it also, you need to bang down the door to get in. Macca is getting into form...

I would have thought we would needed 3( Rough+ Morris+?????) tall defenders going in?

lemmon
17-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Love that Higgins is not straight back in. Smith is stiff but like it also, you need to bang down the door to get in. Macca is getting into form...

I would have thought we would needed 3( Rough+ Morris+?????) tall defenders going in?

Austin is still on the extended interchange, I expect him to play.

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 09:59 PM
This is the bench

3 Mitch Wallis
10 Easton Wood
22 Mitch Honeychurch
33 Sam Darley
43 Jack Redpath
45 Tom Campbell
47 Mark Austin

One of Redpath or Campbell will play. Doubt they would play both or leave both out. It will be interesting to see which way the MC go.

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Austin is still on the extended interchange, I expect him to play.

Perhaps Wood might be used as the 3rd tall?

Go_Dogs
17-07-2014, 10:02 PM
This is the bench

3 Mitch Wallis
10 Easton Wood
22 Mitch Honeychurch
33 Sam Darley
43 Jack Redpath
45 Tom Campbell
47 Mark Austin

One of Redpath or Campbell will play. Doubt they would play both or leave both out. It will be interesting to see which way the MC go.

My guess is Wallis and Wood are definite starters, one of Redpath/Campbell and then perhaps Darley/Honeychurch as the sub.

It means we're a little short down back (my preference would've been to see Roberts in this week) but that's what I'd do.

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 10:06 PM
My guess is Wallis and Wood are definite starters, one of Redpath/Campbell and then perhaps Darley/Honeychurch as the sub.

that's my thinking. I would go with Campbell and Darley as sub. I think Darley has earnt the right to get a decent go on his efforts so far.

Remi Moses
17-07-2014, 10:45 PM

Ditto for me. Big Footy 12 year old knee jerk living in the moment thinking.

The bulldog tragician
17-07-2014, 10:46 PM
I was surprised Cooney was straight back in, but when you think of our midfield at the moment, who will they lock down on? If they pay close attention to Libber and MacRae, there are 2 match winners in Cooney & Griff running free. Will be interesting to see.

Is J Grant still injured? Feels like he's suddenly the forgotten man...

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Ditto for me. Big Footy 12 year old knee jerk living in the moment thinking.

did you see Redpath's last game?

Greystache
17-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Is J Grant still injured? Feels like he's suddenly the forgotten man...

He played last week for Footscray, and played like a man comfortable in the knowledge he has another year to go on his contract.

LostDoggy
17-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Kicked a goal competed all day ... 2nd game
Warne had 0/ 100 in his first game

Greystache
17-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Kicked a goal competed all day ... 2nd game
Warne had 0/ 100 in his first game

He's 25 and played 60 AFL games. He's missed 1 game in the last 8 weeks. The excuses never end.

jeemak
17-07-2014, 11:21 PM
He played last week for Footscray, and played like a man comfortable in the knowledge he has another year to go on his contract.

One of his goals came from a chase down holding the ball. The other was from being in front (rather than behind, which is nice). The rest must have been fairly indicative to make you and TBB so vehement in your respective views towards his performance (I didn't see the game, BTW).

Greystache
17-07-2014, 11:26 PM
One of his goals came from a chase down holding the ball. The other was from being in front (rather than behind, which is nice). The rest must have been fairly indicative to make you and TBB so vehement in your respective views towards his performance (I didn't see the game, BTW).

I was at the game, to say he played on his own terms would be generous. 25 years old, 7 years in the AFL system, and no closer to playing with the effort and intensity required than he was 3 years ago.

LostDoggy
17-07-2014, 11:27 PM
no redpath

jeemak
17-07-2014, 11:32 PM
I was at the game, to say he played on his own terms would be generous. 25 years old, 7 years in the AFL system, and no closer to playing with the effort and intensity required than he was 3 years ago.

I'll have to take your word for it. I'm well aware of his age and experience, I'm also aware of him being a player that literally stinks it up when he's not had a decent run at it.

Was the lack of chasing, leading, talk, demenour or all of the above? It probably seems like I'm having a crack, but I can assure you I'm not, just curious to know (BTW, I've just about missed every ABC game we've played this year which I'm pissed about).

Greystache
17-07-2014, 11:40 PM
I'll have to take your word for it. I'm well aware of his age and experience, I'm also aware of him being a player that literally stinks it up when he's not had a decent run at it.

Was the lack of chasing, leading, talk, demenour or all of the above? It probably seems like I'm having a crack, but I can assure you I'm not, just curious to know (BTW, I've just about missed every ABC game we've played this year which I'm pissed about).

He's come off a solid 2 months of footy, while acknowledging he had an interrupted preseason, he just looks like he's going through the motions knowing he's got another year to earn a contract extension.

He flew for a few marks when the ball was in his area, he chased when there was a good chance he could nail the guy, and ran when there was a chance he could get on the end of one. The rest of the time he stood around looking disinterested, most notably when Box Hill had a run on and we needed senior players to lift to reverse the momentum.

Jones and Smith busted their arses

bornadog
19-07-2014, 04:34 AM
Not sure why the match committee thread is closed but final team is:

In Cooney and Griffen

Out Honeychurch and Darley

Round 18 - Western Bulldogs vs Essendon
Sunday 20 July 2014, 4:40pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Full back
L Picken
J Roughead
J Johannisen

Half back
R Murphy
D Morris
A Cooney

Centreline
K Stevens
M Boyd
J Macrae

Half forward
M Bontempelli
S Crameri
L Hunter

Full forward
L Dahlhaus
J Stringer
N Hrovat

Followers
W Minson
R Griffen
T Liberatore

Interchange
M Wallis
E Wood
J Redpath

M Austin

Emergencies
T Campbell
M Honeychurch
S Darley

LostDoggy
19-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Quite a strong side.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Austin Lucky, would have like to give Clay a game

LostDoggy
19-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Austin Lucky, would have like to give Clay a game

Had to get a game because of the Essendon talls

craigsahibee
19-07-2014, 10:41 AM
No excuses this week. Essendon are gettable and I expect us to win by 5 goals.

GVGjr
19-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Had to get a game because of the Essendon talls

I guess so. It seems to be coming down to Austin or Roberts for that 3rd tall spot.

kruder
19-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Coons sub?

westdog54
19-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Match committee thread reopened. Nut sure what happened there.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Still think Roberts should be getting games ahead of Austin at this point of the season. I can't actually understand the sentiment behind it; Fletch has played well all year in both AFL/VFL.

Twodogs
19-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Match committee thread reopened. Nut sure what happened there.

It may well have been a combination of my lack of coordination and touch screen technology.

Murphy'sLore
20-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Clay Smith was just helped from the field in a lot of pain. Looked like right knee or ankle.