PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Higgins to wait until post-season before deciding future

bornadog
12-07-2014, 04:37 AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2014/07/11/1226986/155042-4e66215e-08d8-11e4-ac31-28cbd3f83dd9.jpg
Shaun Higgins will wait until the end of the season to decide his future. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

DUMPED free agent Shaun Higgins will wait until the post-season before deciding his future, as the Dogs sweat over an illness to skipper Ryan Griffen.
Higgins has been left in Melbourne to play VFL while his Western Bulldogs teammates take on a Gold Coast side without captain Gary Ablett in Cairns.The Dogs have had to sell a home game into Queensland to pump up their bottom line and the task could get harder if sick midfielder Griffen misses.Dogs assistant coach Brett Montgomery said yesterday the club was hopeful he would play, with Daniel Giansiracusa and Jason Johannisen the travelling emergencies.

The club said on Friday night that Griffen had made an improvement from the morning, but would not make a decision on his availabilty until this morning.Higgins will join Melbourne’s James Frawley as a free agent out of contract at year’s end, after being dropped despite 15 straight games this year.

He had planned to wait until year’s end before a deal was struck, with the 26-year-old attractive to rivals given his polished ball use.Manager Bruce Kaider said yesterday his demotion would not change his position, with Higgins determined to win back his spot.“We haven’t gone out and spoken to other clubs. I am sure in due course we will be contacted by a number of clubs to find out where he’s at with his playing future, but he’s committed to doing his job for the Dogs and committed to getting back into good form,’’ he said.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/07/11/1226986/154839-991fce56-08e8-11e4-8f5c-fd2015ae61d5.jpg
Higgins’ career has been plagued by injuries. Picture: Michael Klein

“It’s a decision the coach and match committee make on team balance, so from Shaun’s perspective he has to go back to the VFL and get his form back. Hopefully he can get back into the team and finish off the season well, at which point we can have a contract conversation and see what happens.

”Montgomery said the Dogs would not be lulled into underestimating Gold Coast just because Ablett was missing.“It’s a huge out, but he was only one of about half a dozen who ripped us apart in that 30 minutes when we played them last time.“Their lesser-lights are all top-10 draft picks in their own right, and it just gives them an opportunity to show their wares.“So we’re very wary of the next six or seven under him.”

He said the Dogs would give Griffen until game time to prove his fitness.“He’s woken up a little bit under the weather. He will train. He’ll train this afternoon, which is appropriate with game-time, so there’s no issue there.“We still think he’ll play, but we didn’t think it was too smart to get him out here this morning.”

Link h (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-shaun-higgins-to-wait-until-postseason-before-deciding-future/story-fni5fazt-1226986154865)ere

chef
12-07-2014, 08:59 AM
I'd be surprised if he stays.

Webby
12-07-2014, 09:12 AM
This is an interesting one, because essentially, the FA compensation is decided by blokes sitting in an AFL committee room. (Something I think is farcical, btw). However Higgins leaving would provide an opportunity for an 'even up' for our inadequate Ward compo (at least in comparison to Melbourne's Scully compo).

So perhaps the AFL could be in a mood to be slightly generous re any Higgins compo. We've had a legitimate gripe re Ward for a few years, now.

The Underdog
12-07-2014, 10:13 AM
As much as I like aspects of Shaun's game he was never a quick or particularly accountable player and has suffered leg injuries which have exacerbated that deficiency. We'll likely never see the exciting player we saw early on prior to the broken ankle.
I'm at the point where I think we can probably adequately cover what he provides with guys like Darley and JJ, losing perhaps some ball use while getting more pace and defensive pressure, picking up an asset in at least a likely 2nd round pick. I know some are advocating using him forward, but I'm pretty sure he lost his spot there as he provided little to no defensive pressure in that role. I'd also prefer those small forward spots used for Hunter, Honeychurch, Dahl and the like.

LostDoggy
12-07-2014, 10:19 AM
At our club, in our circumstances, success is going to mean being able to lose any player to free agency yet still perform. Fact of life. How much cap would it free up?

GVGjr
12-07-2014, 10:23 AM
So perhaps the AFL could be in a mood to be slightly generous re any Higgins compo. We've had a legitimate gripe re Ward for a few years, now.

I don't think this is an option, we would be hoping for 2nd round compensation.

Hard to say what is best for Higgins, I think we should try and keep him and if he is realistic then it should be an easy deal.

He's played some good football this year but I suppose it might hinge on if he thinks he deserves to be dropped or if he uses it to spur him on a bit further.

Jeanette54
12-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Shaun Higgins is a class act and it would be a shame to see him go. He has good first grab hands, is very strong overhead and is usually a good decision maker with accurate disposal.

If we are ever to rise to be a top four team retaining valuable players, as Geelong have been able to do, is just as important as any amount of on field improvement. Retaining players is a skill our administration has to develop.

Reading between the lines it looks like he is going, and we are not really desperate to keep him.

I could compile a long list of top players who have left the club over the years. But that would just be too depressing for all concerned.

After 55 years I wonder if its possible to become a free agent as a supporter.

Maddog37
12-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Not possible to be a free agent as a supporter I'm afraid. It is akin to selling your soul..........:)

Hotdog60
12-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Shaun Higgins is a class act and it would be a shame to see him go. He has good first grab hands, is very strong overhead and is usually a good decision maker with accurate disposal.

If we are ever to rise to be a top four team retaining valuable players, as Geelong have been able to do, is just as important as any amount of on field improvement. Retaining players is a skill our administration has to develop.

Reading between the lines it looks like he is going, and we are not really desperate to keep him.

I could compile a long list of top players who have left the club over the years. But that would just be too depressing for all concerned.

Free agent supporters works in reverse you can change clubs after one year but when you get past 25 you have to stay for life.

Shaun is a prime example of a player that has had a career of being potently elite marred by injury I remember when he first came on the scene and had us all drooling then I think it's started with the elbow and it's been down hill ever since.

If he stays I wonder if we could push him to the wing.

josie
12-07-2014, 09:40 PM
I think he has been (mostly) good for us this year, however he is IMO unlikely to improve further.

His disposal & defensive pressure in recent weeks has been a bit of worry, including his disposal in today's VFL match against the Box Hill Hawks, especially in second half.

We have enough talent to cover him. If he was quicker I'd be hesitating more...hence my belief is we should consider trading him. I know that sounds harsh, however we've shown a lot of faith in him throughout his injuries and presuming he thinks he is worth more than we can pay him then it's only fair he considers offers and that we do to.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2014, 09:47 PM
I think he has been (mostly) good for us this year, however he is IMO unlikely to improve further.

His disposal & defensive pressure in recent weeks has been a bit of worry, including his disposal in today's VFL match against the Box Hill Hawks, especially in second half.

We have enough talent to cover him. If he was quicker I'd be hesitating more...hence my belief is we should consider trading him. I know that sounds harsh, however we've shown a lot of faith in him throughout his injuries and presuming he thinks he is worth more than we can pay him then it's only fair he considers offers and that we do to.

He is a restricted free agent. We can just not match the offer if the compo is better than a trade, unless he was packaged with our first rounder to GWS in a big trade...

LostDoggy
13-07-2014, 12:39 AM

Like Gary Jnr?

josie
13-07-2014, 12:56 AM
He is a restricted free agent. We can just not match the offer if the compo is better than a trade, unless he was packaged with our first rounder to GWS in a big trade...

Thanks for clarification BDG.

Realistically who do you think GWS would offer us for our 1st round pick & Shaun? Also do you really think they want more 1st round draft picks vs more experienced players? I'd think they'd want one of our young guns that's already a regular in our side e.g. Roughie and I just do not seeing us trade these types away.

Scorlibo
13-07-2014, 12:54 PM
He can't stay down back and we have a plethora of half-forward types. If he stays, he would need to reinvent himself as a lead-up forward pocket, in much the same role as Gia has played and which Johnno played before him. I still think he's an enormous talent and we can't afford to be letting talent like that go. We are a chance to play finals next year and maybe challenge the couple of years after that, which means that he's right in calculations for our next flag tilt. Given this, I'd be doing everything to keep him, but please find him a position which he can play for a number of years consecutively.

azabob
13-07-2014, 12:58 PM
He can't stay down back and we have a plethora of half-forward types. If he stays, he would need to reinvent himself as a lead-up forward pocket, in much the same role as Gia has played and which Johnno played before him. I still think he's an enormous talent and we can't afford to be letting talent like that go. We are a chance to play finals next year and maybe challenge the couple of years after that, which means that he's right in calculations for our next flag tilt. Given this, I'd be doing everything to keep him, but please find him a position which he can play for a number of years consecutively.

I think they have earmarked Dickson for this role, especially since the club has re-signed him for another couple of years.

Will certainly be interesting to see where Higgins ends up.

bulldogtragic
13-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Thanks for clarification BDG.

Realistically who do you think GWS would offer us for our 1st round pick & Shaun? Also do you really think they want more 1st round draft picks vs more experienced players? I'd think they'd want one of our young guns that's already a regular in our side e.g. Roughie and I just do not seeing us trade these types away.

I think there are so many variables with GWS. I think Adelaide and Essendon with their draft punishments would love pick 5 or so, so with GWS apparently on the hunt for a defender GWS might offer a high pick if they traded for our pick for example. If a big forward walks out and is willing to come to us, like Farren did when leaving us, then GWS need to look at it's needs. So taking so many variables, say, Patton says I want to be a dog. We say hell yeah. We offer pick 5 and Higgins, for example. They see Higgins working off the other back flank to Shaw, or forward releasing Palmer to play more midfield. GWS sniff a tall back (say) Carlisle from Essendon and that's agreed to. GWS have lost a full forward, which is replaced by Boyd and keeping Jacksch. They obtain a tall back in the right age/game bracket to pair with Davis and get the flexibility of a skillful back/forward flanker in a good age bracket for their list. And they have more than enough coverage to cover a Patton leaving.

It's not completely inconceivable, I'm not betting on it. But in a sporting world of many variables, if Shaun wants to explore things and we can splinter a Patton type and GWS can on-trade to address needs, it's at least an offer and they will want more. Or Higgins re-signs on a good wage without testing the market.

The best sports observers didn't pick Lebron doing what he has done.

Scorlibo
13-07-2014, 05:23 PM
He was truly a cut above at VFL level.

jeemak
13-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Higgins has more positive attributes than he does negative for mine. I think we should keep him if we can, but if he was to seek a move to another club I think a second round compensation pick is the best we can hope for.

Being dropped as lowered his value.

Maddog37
13-07-2014, 06:23 PM
I prefer him forward. Hopefully playing in defence has given him a better sense of what he needs to do to be a better forward.

bornadog
14-07-2014, 06:23 AM
I expect Higgo will sign on for another two years at the end of the season.

westdog54
14-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Part of the problem there is that we won't know what our compo will be when we are making the decision. If we pursue a free agent ourselves we won't be compensated at all.

LostDoggy
14-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Part of the problem there is that we won't know what our compo will be when we are making the decision. If we pursue a free agent ourselves we won't be compensated at all.

And if we get the right free agent, we shouldn't be compensated.

1eyedog
14-07-2014, 02:21 PM
I expect Higgo will sign on for another two years at the end of the season.

Really? Given our last few wait until seasons end before making a decision scenarios my gut feeling is he will go. He will be a lose as he is in the age bracket that we desperately need but we have Wood, Darley and JJ to hopefully do the job.

BulldogBelle
14-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Maybe just a viscous rumor but my brother inlaw tells me that Collingwood are into him and he has told the dogs he wants to leave.
He did not play on the weekend because we would rather play a young play than someone leaving.

This part is fact.
Higgins parents flew to Cairns to watch the game!

Scorlibo
14-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Maybe just a viscous rumor but my brother inlaw tells me that Collingwood are into him and he has told the dogs he wants to leave.
He did not play on the weekend because we would rather play a young play than someone leaving.

This part is fact.
Higgins parents flew to Cairns to watch the game!

Where does your brother in law get his info TDB?

ledge
14-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Be stupid to leave for collingwood,the side he is at now is on the up where collingwood are well and truly on the slide.

BulldogBelle
14-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Where does your brother in law get his info TDB?

All he would tell me was that it was someone very close at williamstown - vfl.
He said this guy has been pretty good with info in the past.
Will have to wait and see if it fact or fiction.

Remi Moses
15-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Be stupid to leave for collingwood,the side he is at now is on the up where collingwood are well and truly on the slide.

Disagree on Collingwood. I thought they'd overachieved in the first half of the season, and they would hold ground or finish just outside the eight. They have a truckload of good kids who haven't been exposed yet, and although their fans have no perspective on their status,it's about where they're at.

Pedro Sanchez
15-07-2014, 01:20 AM
He's one of our most skilled players and a natural ball winner. had a good year in comparison to all those cut short by seriuos injuries. I would like to see him stay without doubt and would prefer if he was moved back to the forward line. Has great hands and a beautiful kick for goal. With gia, boyd and murphy all nearing the end of their careers, we need guys like this to fill the character gap that will soon open up. His off field leadership would also be sorely missed - very popular player in the squad.

bornadog
15-07-2014, 03:52 AM
Really? Given our last few wait until seasons end before making a decision scenarios my gut feeling is he will go. He will be a lose as he is in the age bracket that we desperately need but we have Wood, Darley and JJ to hopefully do the job.

Yep, this time it will happen. Sick of losing players in the 24 to 27 year bracket.

ledge
16-07-2014, 09:05 PM
I talk to terry Wallace a little and he tends to think Higgins will go, not sure if its just his feeling or he has some sort of info.
With maxwell retiring and collingwood maybe needing some experience down back I wonder if that's a possibility.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Will be interesting to see where he plays for the remainder of the year.

If he is leaving, I would proudly support the decision to play him in the 2's, and I would make it public in the hope that it doesn't damage the compensation too much (ie. if he's playing VFL because he was 'dropped' for form reasons, value goes down. if he's playing VFL because we knew he was leaving, he holds some value IMO).

bornadog
25-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Carlton interested in Western Bulldogs’ Shaun Higgins, Jarryn Geary targeted by Geelong

STAFF WRITERS
NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA
JULY 25, 2014 1:46PM

Carlton is believed to be very interested in Shaun Higgins while Melbourne and Geelong could also look at adding him to their lists. The talented but injury-prone midfielder could look for greener pastures as he never truly reached his full potential at Whitten Oval. Despite the Bulldogs’ exciting crop of midfielders, Matthew Boyd still has plenty of offer and should play on in 2015 while Dale Morris is a rock in the club’s defence and is reportedly very close to signing on the dotted line. Daniel Giansiracusa is set to hang up the boots and pick up the clipboard as part of the Bulldogs coaching staff.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Competition is key to driving his price up. Bid away if he doesn't want to stay.

Remi Moses
26-07-2014, 01:18 AM
Carlton still in denial on the need to rebuild.

jeemak
26-07-2014, 02:24 AM
Carlton are out of control when it comes to rebuilding, though picking up Shaun would be a good move for them IMO.

Any team in the league could easily fit Shaun into their best 22. Just because we are taking a certain path with how we want to manage our list - and I do think Higgins will be a part of the long term plan if he stays - it doesn't ultimately mean he's not useful to us and any other team.

I don't really think he's a half back, and I don't think any reasonable person could think he's not an AFL first team player. We either have a long term plan for him, or he's done and dusted with us.

He should be in our starting 22 each week.

Happy Days
26-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Carlton are out of control when it comes to rebuilding, though picking up Shaun would be a good move for them IMO.

Any team in the league could easily fit Shaun into their best 22. Just because we are taking a certain path with how we want to manage our list - and I do think Higgins will be a part of the long term plan if he stays - it doesn't ultimately mean he's not useful to us and any other team.

I don't really think he's a half back, and I don't think any reasonable person could think he's not an AFL first team player. We either have a long term plan for him, or he's done and dusted with us.

He should be in our starting 22 each week.

Holla.

As good as the last few weeks have been, they could have been even better if we didn't make decisions at selection which were actively to our detriment (*coughredpathaustinnohigginscough*)

comrade
27-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Holla.

As good as the last few weeks have been, they could have been even better if we didn't make decisions at selection which were actively to our detriment (*coughredpathaustinnohigginscough*)

Redpath played as a deep tall forward. Austin towelled up Goddard.

What do either of them have to do with Higgins not playing?

1eyedog
27-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Will be interesting to see where he plays for the remainder of the year.

If he is leaving, I would proudly support the decision to play him in the 2's, and I would make it public in the hope that it doesn't damage the compensation too much (ie. if he's playing VFL because he was 'dropped' for form reasons, value goes down. if he's playing VFL because we knew he was leaving, he holds some value IMO).

I would play him in the ones if he is leaving. I don't care whether he takes up a spot for the last half dozen games he needs to show case what he can do for his next club. He needs to be on strict instructions to be playing his best footy - it's the least he can do for the club that has been very patient with him through a number of injuries.

Personally I don't think he'll leave. He is a playing who will play in our next window and the club has been very good with him for a long time. It's time for him to pay back some of that faith.

1eyedog
27-07-2014, 12:34 PM
A double post

jeemak
27-07-2014, 01:34 PM
A double post

And an excellent one at that, well done.

comrade
27-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Hardwick was on one of the Sunday footy shows and one of the panel members suggested Richmond were into Higgo in a big way. It seemed clear from Hardwick's reaction, without saying a word, that it may be the case.

Let the bidding war begin, if so...

chef
27-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Hardwick was on one of the Sunday footy shows and one of the panel members suggested Richmond were into Higgo in a big way. It seemed clear from Hardwick's reaction, without saying a word, that it may be the case.

Let the bidding war begin, if so...

Free agent, so we get whatever the AFL thinks he's worth.

azabob
27-07-2014, 02:00 PM

But doesn't money come into it? Or is that just with GWS / GCS?

comrade
27-07-2014, 02:30 PM

The bigger the rival offer, the better the FA compensation.

1eyedog
27-07-2014, 02:34 PM
And an excellent one at that, well done.

Thanks heaps for your comment - much appreciated.

chef
27-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Hopefully theres a bidding war then if he leaves then.

Webby
27-07-2014, 03:00 PM

It's been my thought for some time that the general thinking around AFL circles is that we were given 'unders' as compensation for Ward. Particularly in relation to what Melbourne were granted for Scully. Therefore I have a bit of a feeling that we might just get a slight 'evener upperer' with any Higgins deal.

If Higgins gets reasonable money from Carlton or whoever, the AFL might err on the side of an end of rd 1 compo pick rather than a rd 2 one. Obviously just a gut feel, but one that I have nonetheless. Particularly on the back of what Collingwood got in return for a beaten up Daisy Thomas.

It's for this reason that I'm not too concerned about Higgins leaving. Sure he's an outside player who will be around for some of our next window, however I'd readily swap that for a quality kid who could be around for the whole of that window - alongside Hunter, Libba, Dahl, Bont, Stringer etc etc.

Another scenario is that, even if it were only a rd 2 compo pick, that would be enough to nab Cordy under F/S, along with potential to trade for Jaksch or O'Rourke with our primary rd 2 pick. When I begin to think in those terms, I'm even less concerned with Higgins leaving..

Happy Days
27-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Redpath played as a deep tall forward. Austin towelled up Goddard.

What do either of them have to do with Higgins not playing?

They're three separate things all stemming from the same place.

ReLoad
27-07-2014, 10:06 PM
The only thing I'm concerned about (and it's valid when he is in the vfl) is that we are really struggling for the 100 to 150 gamers.

Sure the pups are coming along, but just like in the bombers game, the kids couldn't do it alone.

We saw Melbourne fall apart without that decent core, I'd like to think we could avoid the same issue.

In saying that I'm not averse to him going, but if our goal next year is to play finals (which it is) then we will certainly need players in that bracket.

Remi Moses
27-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Wouldn't think we'd have the same issues as The Dees.
Our senior core were better, and we'll have a batch now over 70 games.
Great for us that Shaun is creating such interest, and if the clubs got wind that he wants out we should play Darley all season.

Webby
28-07-2014, 01:01 AM
I don't know if our goal is to make finals next year per se. I think our goal is to win a premiership in our next window - which will run from 3-8 years from now. Next year Dahlhaus, Wallis, Libba, Bonts, Stringer, Smith, Macrae, JJ, Hunter, Jones and Roughie will all be more mature and able to pull a core of 2014 and 2015 draftees along as senior players.

I don't think Higgins' contribution to that will be (or, in fact, is) all that significant. He's a light bodied outside midfielder-cum-half back. In fact, there's a school of thought that the half back flank is the easiest position on the ground in modern day footy. Not a bad spot to introduce younger players through. From that angle, Higgins' presence there is almost counter-productive.

The other point I'd make is that, unlike the Melbourne side of the past 5 years, we have a good culture - along with a very tough core of young midfielders who attack the footy pretty hard. That's certainly not where Melbourne were at in recent years. I get the concerns from some of us of our club "becoming a Melbourne" but I think they're misplaced. Our lot shit on those Melbourne sides.

We're in a great position now to just stay the course and keep loading up our team with more and more quality kids. Four years from now we'll be genuine premiership contenders. That fatal trap, IMO, would be for us to start aiming short term at a "finals will do" target and begin signing older role players to try to pinch 7th or 8th place. I'd prefer to stay focused on slowly building towards the big dance somewhere between September 2017 and Sep 2022.

wimberga
28-07-2014, 09:54 AM
I don't know if our goal is to make finals next year per se. I think our goal is to win a premiership in our next window - which will run from 3-8 years from now. Next year Dahlhaus, Wallis, Libba, Bonts, Stringer, Smith, Macrae, JJ, Hunter, Jones and Roughie will all be more mature and able to pull a core of 2014 and 2015 draftees along as senior players.

I don't think Higgins' contribution to that will be (or, in fact, is) all that significant. He's a light bodied outside midfielder-cum-half back. In fact, there's a school of thought that the half back flank is the easiest position on the ground in modern day footy. Not a bad spot to introduce younger players through. From that angle, Higgins' presence there is almost counter-productive.

The other point I'd make is that, unlike the Melbourne side of the past 5 years, we have a good culture - along with a very tough core of young midfielders who attack the footy pretty hard. That's certainly not where Melbourne were at in recent years. I get the concerns from some of us of our club "becoming a Melbourne" but I think they're misplaced. Our lot shit on those Melbourne sides.

We're in a great position now to just stay the course and keep loading up our team with more and more quality kids. Four years from now we'll be genuine premiership contenders. That fatal trap, IMO, would be for us to start aiming short term at a "finals will do" target and begin signing older role players to try to pinch 7th or 8th place. I'd prefer to stay focused on slowly building towards the big dance somewhere between September 2017 and Sep 2022.

Well said here Webby - its not something I've ever really considered but its a great point you make and I totally agree with you. A premiership is the ultimate goal.

Mofra
28-07-2014, 11:34 AM

I'm not sure it's just the spot - it's the leadership considerations we contend with.
If we see Roughy as a long term backman, with Murph & Morris going on at least another year we will be fine for leadership in the back half.

If Roughy transitions forward it may be a different matter.

I do think we need a genuine pacy HBFer, and that consideration is how we replace Murphy - not Higgins.

strebla
29-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Zaine Cordy Is the man for me here !!

Mofra
29-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Zaine Cordy Is the man for me here !!
He's more a lockdown defender though who can kick - perhaps a Shaggy-type who gets less of the ball.

It would be great to have him follow Morris around for a pre-season.

Remi Moses
29-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Well said here Webby - its not something I've ever really considered but its a great point you make and I totally agree with you. A premiership is the ultimate goal.

Ditto for me . Use the draft and build a side for a long sustained period.

whythelongface
29-07-2014, 07:31 PM

Agree well said Webby. Whilst I enjoy watching Higgins play when he is on song, I agree that if we can draft a couple more quality kids over the next two drafts then we really have an excellent shot at a premiership within the next 3 to 8 years at which point Higgins will be 29 to 34 years of age.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Another article on Higgins and other clubs interest:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-29/four-clubs-circle-higgins

The interest from numerous clubs is good. I don't mind him as a player, but if a club offers him 500K+ then I'd let him walk. Compensation would be interesting if he's getting up and above 500K.

Hotdog60
29-07-2014, 11:02 PM
The free agency ties our hands a bit if it was GWS that Higgins wanted to go to we couldn't do a deal for one of their forwards. Am I right in that we can only match their offer or he walks and we just get AFL compensation?

jeemak
29-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Yep. That's it.

Now that it's down to tenure alone, I think Shaun's likely to stay if he can get back into the seniors and prove his worth over the remaining rounds.

If a side wants to offer him three years at $450+ a season then good luck to them. Our compensation will be better for it. I can't see that happening though.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2014, 01:29 AM
If a side wants to offer him three years at $450+ a season then good luck to them. Our compensation will be better for it. I can't see that happening though.

It would seem unlikely, but the footy world has always had a fascination with Higgins.

GWS can probably afford to over pay a little too. In fact if they want quality ready made players, they simply have to. At this stage of their development, they need his type rather than another 'young gun'. Higgins would make a lot of sense for them, and he's better than most of their recruits (minus Ward and Mumford).

ledge
30-07-2014, 10:45 AM
It would seem unlikely, but the footy world has always had a fascination with Higgins.

GWS can probably afford to over pay a little too. In fact if they want quality ready made players, they simply have to. At this stage of their development, they need his type rather than another 'young gun'. Higgins would make a lot of sense for them, and he's better than most of their recruits (minus Ward and Mumford).
Well how good are we looking, he is better than most of their recruits and can't get a game in our side and we are in as low a position as they are on the ladder, I love Higgins but I think your over rating him in saying that at the moment.

Maddog37
30-07-2014, 04:53 PM
What did Daisy Thomas get from Carlton?

divvydan
30-07-2014, 08:12 PM
What did Daisy Thomas get from Carlton?

Media reports have it being 4 years and somewhere between 600-700k per year.

Webby
30-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Yep, classic "overs". Collingwood received pick 11 in return, freed up something like $650k in their salary cap, traded that pick 11 along with 31 and 49 for pick 6 and nabbed one of the highest rated kids in the country (Matthew Scharenberg) with it...

Essentially moving on an injury-prone (now) 27 year old for a 19 year old with a huge future. Collingwood's fans are notoriously stupid, however their administration is pretty good. Internal expectations were to sneak into finals at best this year. They're wisely rebuilding towards another window in two to three years time. They were smart enough to acknowledge that certain players aren't going to be a part of that, so moved them on whilst they still had some currency.

It has surely cost them a couple of ladder places in the meantime, but finishing 6th or 7th rather than 8th or 9th isn't the name of the game for Collingwood. It's winning premierships. We would be wise to adopt the same mindset (which I think we are)

Maddog37
30-07-2014, 10:11 PM

On that basis 450-500 for three years for Higgins is not that far fetched.

bornadog
30-07-2014, 10:15 PM

Market rates

Remi Moses
30-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Yep, classic "overs". Collingwood received pick 11 in return, freed up something like $650k in their salary cap, traded that pick 11 along with 31 and 49 for pick 6 and nabbed one of the highest rated kids in the country (Matthew Scharenberg) with it...

Essentially moving on an injury-prone (now) 27 year old for a 19 year old with a huge future. Collingwood's fans are notoriously stupid, however their administration is pretty good. Internal expectations were to sneak into finals at best this year. They're wisely rebuilding towards another window in two to three years time. They were smart enough to acknowledge that certain players aren't going to be a part of that, so moved them on whilst they still had some currency.

It has surely cost them a couple of ladder places in the meantime, but finishing 6th or 7th rather than 8th or 9th isn't the name of the game for Collingwood. It's winning premierships. We would be wise to adopt the same mindset (which I think we are)

Terrific post Webby. Their footy club invest in the now ( with a strong eye to the future)
Their fans invest in stupidity.
They've lost a large chunk of games, and even players with diminished roles it hurts .

Remi Moses
30-07-2014, 10:54 PM

Gee if a club pays an injury prone under performer that much then good luck with that.
Sometimes wonder if stories of other clubs "interest" in Shaun is a veiled attempt to make us pay overs.

KT31
31-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Gee if a club pays an injury prone under performer that much then good luck with that.
Sometimes wonder if stories of other clubs "interest" in Shaun is a veiled attempt to make us pay overs.

You really have to wonder how much is spread by the Mangers.
FWIW I think there is to much promise at the club and unless it is a top four side that chooses him, Shaun will stay.
I see a lot of value of keeping Shaun on our list but am not prepared to pay overs for him.
If he has any character he should be able to see the club has certainly done the right thing by him over his career.
If he decides to leave I will wish him the best and will take solace in the fact our recruitment department are doing an excellent job at this time and it will give them another choice pick.

wimberga
31-07-2014, 12:23 PM
FWIW I think there is to much promise at the club and unless it is a top four side that chooses him, Shaun will stay.
I see a lot of value of keeping Shaun on our list but am not prepared to pay overs for him.
If he has any character he should be able to see the club has certainly done the right thing by him over his career.
If he decides to leave I will wish him the best and will take solace in the fact our recruitment department are doing an excellent job at this time and it will give them another choice pick.

Well said KT

Dancin' Douggy
31-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Yep. This pretty much sums it up for me. It's a win win situation. As LONG as we receive adequate compensation.

jeemak
31-07-2014, 07:05 PM

I don't think many clubs view him as an under-performer. Injury prone yes, for sure.

If he had have been playing forward this year, he'd be in the first two forwards the opposition would put work into each week from a defensive standpoint. He's a very very good finisher and is creative. In the right side he'd be much more effective forward than he has been for us (much like a lot of our forwards).