PDA

View Full Version : Just imagine Jason McCartney comes to you...

bulldogtragic
14-07-2014, 12:53 PM
And says, 'Welcome to the bulldogs list management department as a new consultant, we are excited to have you on board. Like every year we at the Dogs will be level headed and thorough to ensure we win during the trade period. That said, all ideas can create opportunity and/or confirm what we are doing is correct. Accordingly, we need to think of all contingencies so it would be good to see what an aggressive strategy would look like for us to consider. For your first task, please come up with an aggressive, but not stupid, trading strategy for currently listed players with NO limitations on the players listed and what benefit the club could get by trading OUT specific players. Think outside the square and remember there is no wrong answer, it's a matter of considering every possible scenario, if even only to dismiss it, in which our club wins from trading, or not, this year.'

wimberga
14-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Not sure this falls under players but how about:

Trade Pick 5 + Higgins to Gold Coast for picks 10 and 14.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2014, 02:28 PM

Great example!

boydogs
14-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Minson to a contender - aside from being too old for our next tilt, he can't play forward which means he has to go it alone or be a 5th goalpost for half the game. Need Campbell & Cordy playing who can both play as forwards

azabob
14-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Minson to a contender - aside from being too old for our next tilt, he can't play forward which means he has to go it alone or be a 5th goalpost for half the game. Need Campbell & Cordy playing who can both play as forwards

Port Adelaide might be interested in this scenerio if they can let bygons be bygons.

Minson wouldn't command the world but do they have someone of interest for us? A second round pick? Which we could then use as a trade to someone else?

boydogs
14-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Port Adelaide might be interested in this scenerio if they can let bygons be bygons.

Minson wouldn't command the world but do they have someone of interest for us? A second round pick? Which we could then use as a trade to someone else?

2nd rounder sounds right. All Australian tier player nearing 30, similar to Brian Lake.

Hawthorn got a flag with him but Hrovat & Stevens for 10 years versus Lake for 2 when we're not playing finals looks like a win for us

Bumper Bulldogs
14-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Like others I think that the only 4 you could put up would be
First - Higgins
2nd - Minson
3rd - Grant
4th - Cooney
The only value for Higgins & Minson, but may get a 3rd round pick for Grant/Cooney.

Its all going to come down to who we delist at years end. I cant see Gia, Howard, Young, Goodes, Austin, Tut & Prudden being listed next year

With Boyd, Cooney, Morris & Murphy the year after

comrade
14-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Prudden is contracted I believe. Don't think Tutt or Young can be line for delisting. Austin should be kept for defensive depth.

Pearce and Greenwood are definite cuts, IMO, along with Howard and Goodes.

Gia to retire.

Fuller might struggle to retain his spot, too. Having a mare of a first season, barely getting above 5-6 touches in some games even when Footscray has dominated.

anfo27
14-07-2014, 11:00 PM

They have Lobbe who has improved out of sight so they would have no interest in Will.

ledge
14-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Wills our only experienced ruckmen, no way is he going anywhere, you don't spend 6 years developing a bloke like this to turf him when he has become what we wanted.
The same as Tutt he is our outside runner, he is so close to being in our best 22 once the team clicks.

jazzadogs
14-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Will Minson, who captained the Western Bulldogs FC on the weekend and gives his heart & soul for the club? I'd be shattered if we traded him...Lake was happy to leave, had mates at the club but no real attachment to the Bulldogs life. Minson is much more than that, second only to Murph in how much they care about the club.

Higgins, Cooney, Grant all fall under the same umbrella as Lake for mine. For the right price, I wouldn't say no.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2014, 12:23 AM
The thread isn't about what will or should happen, or a debate about right/wrong. It's about what an aggressive trading strategy might look like and some lateral thinking. Wimberga's idea hadn't even come near my thinking, interesting thought.

How hard Essendon might go at JJ might make for interesting thinking too if last years white noise in the trade month about JJ is believed.

stefoid
15-07-2014, 12:26 AM
Pick 5 + Johannisson for Carlisle.

Remi Moses
15-07-2014, 12:41 AM
Supporters give their "heart and soul" for the club as well.
Will's approaching 30 and I'd do it.
Stkilda chopped a ruck man who hadn't even reached his peak, and yet we squabble over a 30 year old.
It won't happen though, so I guess it's a moot point.

Hot_Doggies
15-07-2014, 07:15 AM

Isn't Higgins a free agent?

chef
15-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Isn't Higgins a free agent?

Yep. Zero chance he'd be traded.

chef
15-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Pick 5 + Johannisson for Carlisle.

Pick 5 +Dahl would be more realistic.

wimberga
15-07-2014, 10:14 AM
your right - Higgins is a free agent, but is it really that different if higgins "wants" to go to Gold coast, and they get pick 5 for pick 10 and 14?

I guess I was thinking more "unofficially", like how Melbourne managed to manipulate the 2012 draft to get Viney for a second rounder.

Pick 5 + Dahlhaus IMO would be looking to fetch us a disgruntled up and comer (Boyd, Patton, Day) and is too much for Carlisle alone

If we wanted Carlisle (which I wouldnt mind), I would think something like JJ + our second rounder for Carlisle would be about right. This is of course contingent on Carlisle saying he wants to come to the dogs. He did barrack for us as a kid and having Crameri get in his ear would be good.

I wouldn't want to part with much more than that for him. Would Higgins want to go somewhere like Essendon?

I still think we want to have some first rounders this year, so what about Pick 5 + our second rounder to GC for 10 + 14?

LostDoggy
15-07-2014, 10:33 AM
And says, 'Welcome to the bulldogs list management department as a new consultant, we are excited to have you on board. Like every year we at the Dogs will be level headed and thorough to ensure we win during the trade period. That said, all ideas can create opportunity and/or confirm what we are doing is correct. Accordingly, we need to think of all contingencies so it would be good to see what an aggressive strategy would look like for us to consider. For your first task, please come up with an aggressive, but not stupid, trading strategy for currently listed players with NO limitations on the players listed and what benefit the club could get by trading OUT specific players. Think outside the square and remember there is no wrong answer, it's a matter of considering every possible scenario, if even only to dismiss it, in which our club wins from trading, or not, this year.'
Forgive the aside, but I'm willing to bet this has happened in your dreams nightly for a few years now. ;) :P

chef
15-07-2014, 10:37 AM
I'd be taking Carlisle before Day, Boyd and Patton.

Would suit us down to a tee.

wimberga
15-07-2014, 10:47 AM
I'd be taking Carlisle before Day, Boyd and Patton.

Would suit us down to a tee.

Sticky this post and come back to it. Carlisle has some runs on the board now, sure, but not nearly the talents of those above.

FWIW, I would prefer Adelaides Talia to Carlisle. I wonder if his brother could tempt him to come across? We could trade pick 5 + second rounder to GC for picks 10 and 14, then send 14 over to adelaide for Talia?

chef
15-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Sticky this post and come back to it. Carlisle has some runs on the board now, sure, but not nearly the talents of those above.

FWIW, I would prefer Adelaides Talia to Carlisle. I wonder if his brother could tempt him to come across? We could trade pick 5 + second rounder to GC for picks 10 and 14, then send 14 over to adelaide for Talia?

Fair enough mate, sticky away. I'd take Carlisle in a heart if he was available.

Day, Patton and Boyd worth pick 5 and a player and Talia worth pick 14......doesn't seem right to me

bulldogtragic
15-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Forgive the aside, but I'm willing to bet this has happened in your dreams nightly for a few years now. ;) :P

Usually most nights, except I'm taller, skinnier, am like the oracle lazing on a roman bed with goddesses waving fans to keep me cool and JMac is just outright begging me to leave my solitude to help be the central person that can bring a premiership to the club. But I always wake up before I can say 'yes'. Might need to read more on Freud. :)

Happy Days
15-07-2014, 12:45 PM
West Coast can't keep going with all these big guys, even if Cox is going to retire? We've seen what Darling can do, and McGovern & Lycett are both showing good signs. Any interest here?

I personally don't want to trade because we're nailing our early picks, I'm a massive pussy, and a wise man once told me that trading is the work of the devil.

azabob
15-07-2014, 12:57 PM
They have Lobbe who has improved out of sight so they would have no interest in Will.

Who is there other ruckman?

bulldogtragic
15-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Who is there other ruckman?

I think the Port option of aggressive perspective is interesting. Say they finish 5th, or pick 14. Our second is say 25. A way to get into the teens could be Will, but I'd want a player (hypothetically John Butcher). They would want a reciprocal order trade, so assuming Higgins goes for pick 26 compo:

Dogs: (pick 5) pick 14, Butcher and 32
Port: pick 25, pick 26 and Minson

I can see both arguments to no, which means it's not completely crazy. The flow on of having a picks 5 and 14 is the power to get a monster trade done if we want to.

(Again no right/wrong, just thinking through scenarios)

wimberga
15-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Fair enough mate, sticky away. I'd take Carlisle in a heart if he was available.

Day, Patton and Boyd worth pick 5 and a player and Talia worth pick 14......doesn't seem right to me

It's ok to say you would take a player like Carlisle but its also about what you pay. And if Pick 5 + Dahlhaus is what it takes go get him, then I would say no.

Pick 14 for Daniel Talia? I'd probably say yes. Pick 14 for Carlisle? I'd say yes, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd prefer Talia. Dahlhaus for Carlisle? Maybe thats fair...maybe?

I personally think that Day/Patton/Boyd are significantly more valuable than either of those players above, so would be prepared to pay more for them.

Any trade would likely have to involve them saying they want to leave though.

SlimPickens
15-07-2014, 01:35 PM
I think the Port option of aggressive perspective is interesting. Say they finish 5th, or pick 14. Our second is say 25. A way to get into the teens could be Will, but I'd want a player (hypothetically John Butcher). They would want a reciprocal order trade, so assuming Higgins goes for pick 26 compo:

Dogs: (pick 5) pick 14, Butcher and 32

I can see both arguments to no, which means it's not completely crazy. The flow on of having a picks 5 and 14 is the power to get a monster trade done if we want to.

I like what you're getting at, only one problem and that is John Butcher is just awful as a footballer.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2014, 01:45 PM
I like what you're getting at, only one problem and that is John Butcher is just awful as a footballer.

Agree, I don't know their list well enough to pick another name, but he's a metaphor for a player we would want. :)

A top 10 pick, teen pick and 30-Ish pick plus a player we want for Higgins who looks outbound anyway, so it's only really Will if they wanted him. That's great draft numbers for Simon and his team or a whole bunch of trade currency. Intrigues the mind if nothing else.

Twodogs
15-07-2014, 01:47 PM

That did stand out as the only hitch in an otherwise damn fine plan.

LostDoggy
15-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Ports' other ruckman is Jarred Redden who's been injured all year but is a promising prospect.

Butcher will be delisted at the end of the year. Worst kick of the football in the game atm.

chef
15-07-2014, 05:48 PM
It's ok to say you would take a player like Carlisle but its also about what you pay. And if Pick 5 + Dahlhaus is what it takes go get him, then I would say no.

Pick 14 for Daniel Talia? I'd probably say yes. Pick 14 for Carlisle? I'd say yes, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd prefer Talia. Dahlhaus for Carlisle? Maybe thats fair...maybe?

I personally think that Day/Patton/Boyd are significantly more valuable than either of those players above, so would be prepared to pay more for them.

Any trade would likely have to involve them saying they want to leave though.

To me pick 5 + Dahls is to much as well, but thats what it will take. Essendon and Adelaide would laugh at us if we offered pick 14 for either of those players IMO.

Same goes for Day/Patton/Boyd it's just a price to much. I'm happy enough to keep our picks and players and keep loading up in the draft though. Trading players who are happy where they are is the work of the devil.

wimberga
15-07-2014, 06:53 PM
To me pick 5 + Dahls is to much as well, but thats what it will take. Essendon and Adelaide would laugh at us if we offered pick 14 for either of those players IMO.

Same goes for Day/Patton/Boyd it's just a price to much. I'm happy enough to keep our picks and players and keep loading up in the draft though. Trading players who are happy where they are is the work of the devil.

Agree with the last statement wholeheartedly - to me it all hinges on being able to win over the player so that they let their club know that the western bulldogs are where they want to go.

If we can't do that, go the draft.

In any case, its looking more and more likely that we will be able to nab a KPP of some description with our first pick, with the improved form of Caleb Marchbank. I basically think he is a lock for us if he keeps his form up, or perhaps Jake Lever, who is a Macca moulded player if ever I have seen one.

Remi Moses
16-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Wouldnt touch Butcher, as he kicks like someone who has just taken up the sport.

Sedat
16-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Wouldnt touch Butcher, as he kicks like someone who has just taken up the sport.
Yep, he kicks it like his surname

bulldogtragic
16-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I think the Port option of aggressive perspective is interesting. Say they finish 5th, or pick 14. Our second is say 25. A way to get into the teens could be Will, but I'd want a player we want of some talent (Say Mason Shaw). They would want a reciprocal order trade, so assuming Higgins goes for pick 26 compo:

Dogs: (pick 5) pick 14, Shaw and 32

LostDoggy
16-07-2014, 11:18 AM
They've got one of the best young ruckmen in the competition in Lobbe.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2014, 11:21 AM
They've got one of the best young ruckmen in the competition in Lobbe.

The thinking applies to any team even near that pick, such as Geelong if Macintosh retires, or GCS if their additional pick is mid first round and their talls or rucks are raided by other teams.

anfo27
16-07-2014, 11:23 AM
The last thing port will be looking for is a number 1 ruckman.

SlimPickens
16-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Given their shortcomings in defence, I wonder if a Talia and a second round pick (possible compensation for Higgins) for Tomlinson and a 3rd rounder would intrigue GWS?

LostDoggy
16-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Ports' other ruckman is Jarred Redden who's been injured all year but is a promising prospect.

Butcher will be delisted at the end of the year. Worst kick of the football in the game atm.

Pretty ironic surname, isn't it?

bulldogtragic
16-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Pretty ironic surname, isn't it?

Redden? :)

wimberga
16-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Given their shortcomings in defence, I wonder if a Talia and a second round pick (possible compensation for Higgins) for Tomlinson and a 3rd rounder would intrigue GWS?

I don't mind the sound of this but pick 25 + Talia for Tomlinson alone might be more realistic. this is the right line of thinking - I think it will be hard to grab players from Gold Coast, particularly if they play finals. GWS however must have some guys sick of getting smashed weekly.

Parting with Pick 25 + Talia isnt too bad of an idea in my mind, as we are likely to get a strong KPP with our first round pick this year.

Thinking on the spot, should we consider a trade to get O'rourke, Jaksch + Tomlinson? Perhaps something like Pick 6 + Pick 25? would that get it done? if not, what might?