PDA

View Full Version : Lingy, Succession Plans & Jobs for the Boys

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Isn't Cameron Ling the flavour of the month at the moment?

Amazing what can happen to your profile when you stand up to that grumpy old man Mick Malthouse. But in all seriousness, Ling has had his admirers as a coaching aspirant for some time now. His part time role at North earning some plaudits (more so than our part timers Mooney & Scarlett many would say). Let's not forget he is a premiership captain and had feisty customers like Moons & Scarlo under his command.

We hear Melbourne, among other clubs, are interested in acquiring his services, as a likely successor to Paul Roos. I just don't see the connection in this instance as their is no connections between any of the key individuals. I think Richmond are interested which could mean they may want options when it comes to dealing with Hardwick should things continue to sour at Punt Rd. Again I see no connection.

Which now leads me to the mighty Bulldogs. Whether you are pro or anti Macca as our senior coach or perhaps one who sits on the fence, we are all almost to a supporter in agreement that our assistant coaching ranks could use some freshening up. I've felt for a long time that our footy dept is a 'jobs for the boys' club. Yet, I now wonder if the best 'boy for the job' is available and within our grasp.

It has been suggested we tried to get Ling a while back but he opted for the media instead. It seems now that things could have changed. Maybe Macca has some pulling power here and could use his connection with Ling to lure him to the club. But is the club ambitious enough? Is Macca ambitious enough? If we went for Ling as an assistant would Macca feel threatened? Would Garlick have the audacity to come out from hiding under his desk to pull such a move?

What do you the Bulldog faithful think? I would like to see some new assistant coaches on the panel as I don't rate the current cop that highly with the exception of Monty. It would be a high profile signing for us but could possibly suggest we have appointed an heir apparant should Macca not lead us to the promised land.

Greystache
17-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Michael Voss was all the things Ling is being described as, and he turned out shithouse.

jeemak
17-07-2014, 11:19 PM
To allow us to gauge your opinion, who of the assistants do you have an issue with and why?

I was thinking the same thing as Grey, hype means jack once the coaches are in the firing line and accountable to results.

There has to be a reason why Ling is so touted to this point, but he's yet to be proven as a coach. If we were to make him our key target over the off season I'd get the impression we'd taken our eyes off the prize.

Sure, make him an offer we can afford and move on if he doesn't accept it.

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Michael Voss was all the things Ling is being described as, and he turned out shithouse.

we're not talking about Voss

LostDoggy
17-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Isn't Cameron Ling the flavour of the month at the moment?

Amazing what can happen to your profile when you stand up to that grumpy old man Mick Malthouse. But in all seriousness, Ling has had his admirers as a coaching aspirant for some time now. His part time role at North earning some plaudits (more so than our part timers Mooney & Scarlett many would say). Let's not forget he is a premiership captain and had feisty customers like Moons & Scarlo under his command.

We hear Melbourne, among other clubs, are interested in acquiring his services, as a likely successor to Paul Roos. I just don't see the connection in this instance as their is no connections between any of the key individuals. I think Richmond are interested which could mean they may want options when it comes to dealing with Hardwick should things continue to sour at Punt Rd. Again I see no connection.

Which now leads me to the mighty Bulldogs. Whether you are pro or anti Macca as our senior coach or perhaps one who sits on the fence, we are all almost to a supporter in agreement that our assistant coaching ranks could use some freshening up. I've felt for a long time that our footy dept is a 'jobs for the boys' club. Yet, I now wonder if the best 'boy for the job' is available and within our grasp.

It has been suggested we tried to get Ling a while back but he opted for the media instead. It seems now that things could have changed. Maybe Macca has some pulling power here and could use his connection with Ling to lure him to the club. But is the club ambitious enough? Is Macca ambitious enough? If we went for Ling as an assistant would Macca feel threatened? Would Garlick have the audacity to come out from hiding under his desk to pull such a move?

What do you the Bulldog faithful think? I would like to see some new assistant coaches on the panel as I don't rate the current cop that highly with the exception of Monty. It would be a high profile signing for us but could possibly suggest we have appointed an heir apparant should Macca not lead us to the promised land.
I assume by saying jobs for the boys you are referring to King,Corey, Scarlett & Mooney as they all were under Macca at Geelong. So what would be the difference with Ling?

Greystache
17-07-2014, 11:23 PM
we're not talking about Voss

Thanks for the tip.

Everything being said about Ling being the man every team has to try to get was said about Voss. Voss was shit.

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 11:25 PM
I assume by saying jobs for the boys you are referring to King,Corey, Scarlett & Mooney as they all were under Macca at Geelong. So what would be the difference with Ling?

My point was he might be the best of "the boys club".

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Everything being said about Ling being the man every team has to try to get was said about Voss. Voss was shit.

I'm trying to get a discussion going.

You use this an analogy as if to derail my topic and you are a moderator?

GVGjr
17-07-2014, 11:31 PM
I think all coaches need to have assistants around them that they are confident will carry out their vision for development of the playing group. In this case I think we have done pretty well with the guys we have.
I tend to agree with the Doc that it's probably the right time now to challenge the status quo and find a genuine senior assistant. Ling appeals to me as a worthy candidate. As Grey rightly pointed out there are no guarantees but Ling strikes me as someone who could make a go of it. The attraction for him with Melbourne, if he is genuine about wanting to be a senior coach, is that Roos appears to be making the right noises that this is very much a short term gig for him. Our advantage is around the respect the Geelong boys have with Macca.

I'm not sure I agree with the "jobs for the boys" component of the thread title but we always need to be looking to see if there is someone who can reinvigorate our football department and maybe Ling is someone we should have a chat to.

Greystache
17-07-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm trying to get a discussion going.

You use this an analogy as if to derail my topic and you are a moderator?

The theme of the thread was is Macca too insecure to chase a potential Messiah because he will show him up, while bashing the boys club we have built. Hardly new territory.

Just need a shot at Fantasia to complete the set.

LostDoggy
17-07-2014, 11:36 PM
My point was he might be the best of "the boys club".

Might not either!
Always happy to add experienced people to the coaching department but I think the coaches are doing a fine job bringing the young guys along!

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 11:37 PM
The theme of the thread was is Macca too insecure to chase a potential Messiah because he will show him up, while bashing the boys club we have built. Hardly new territory.

Just need a shot at Fantasia to complete the set.

Respond to the questions being asked rather than making assumptions you flog.

Can a real moderator delete Greystache's comments and my responses in turn and keep the topic on track

jeemak
17-07-2014, 11:37 PM
My preference is to see how we can rejuvenate or add to our footy department at a price we can afford. There's plenty of talented people coaching at other clubs at the highest level, whilst there's also a talent pool outside of the AFL.

I don't immediately have too many issues with our current coaching group, but like any management structure it's going to get stale and probably sooner than you realise it's happening.

jeemak
17-07-2014, 11:38 PM

Come on Doc.

Can you respond to the question I asked you?

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Come on Doc.

Can you respond to the question I asked you?

Happily

I am doubtful about the contributions of King and Grant in particular. I am happy for someone to prove me wrong but lets face it these are guys Macca has been associated with prior to their engagements with the Bulldogs. But what have they achieved for us thus far?

I am actually saying that Macca's connection with Ling gives us a shot at possibly a very good coaching candidate, so why not have a crack?

Twodogs
17-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Are you thinking we should expand the coaching panel Doc or let someone go?

Greystache
17-07-2014, 11:49 PM

Can a real moderator delete Greystache's comments and my responses in turn and keep the topic on track

High brow stuff there, classy

I'm happy to let other clubs slit their own throats making over the odds offers to secure the current media darling. Voss set back Brisbane 10 years, Buckley has taken Collingwood backwards in each of his 3 seasons in charge (with the able assistance of a former WOOF favourite), so following that theme I'd like to see Ling end up at Essendon.

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Are you thinking we should expand the coaching panel Doc or let someone go?

Dare I say it shouldn't we "refresh"?

We should always look to improve all aspects of our footy dept, so I threw up Ling as a candidate to bring in for reasons detailed earlier.

The Doctor
17-07-2014, 11:54 PM
High brow stuff there, classy

I'm happy to let other clubs slit their own throats making over the odds offers to secure the current media darling. Voss set back Brisbane 10 years, Buckley has taken Collingwood backwards in each of his 3 seasons in charge (with the able assistance of a former WOOF favourite), so following that theme I'd like to see Ling end up at Essendon.

OK, so you are anti Ling. Good we have your opinion so piss off

jeemak
17-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Happily

I am doubtful about the contributions of King and Grant in particular. I am happy for someone to prove me wrong but lets face it these are guys Macca has been associated with prior to their engagements with the Bulldogs. But what have they achieved for us thus far?

I am actually saying that Macca's connection with Ling gives us a shot at possibly a very good coaching candidate, so why not have a crack?

Shannon Grant was one of the smartest footballers I've watched, I don't profess to know about his interaction with the players, though what I do know is he's often credited by players in the media as being a good influence on them.

King was a better than decent ruck, though probably one of the last dinosaurs when he was traded away from Geelong - after he'd captained a building club and won a premiership. Once again, I'm not close enough to know whether his influence on our developing rucks is the reason why they seem to be putting decent footy together at VFL level, perhaps you know more.

Doc, if you can come up with something more substantial than statements of doubt about these two then I'd happily listen to your thoughts without thinking you've not actually got an issue with them individually, rather than an issue with Macca and his coaching panel selections because he made them.

I'd like to see some fresh blood injected to the club, it's the best way for us to keep staying fresh and moving forward.

The Doctor
18-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Shannon Grant was one of the smartest footballers I've watched, I don't profess to know about his interaction with the players, though what I do know is he's often credited by players in the media as being a good influence on them.

King was a better than decent ruck, though probably one of the last dinosaurs when he was traded away from Geelong - after he'd captained a building club and won a premiership. Once again, I'm not close enough to know whether his influence on our developing rucks is the reason why they seem to be putting decent footy together at VFL level, perhaps you know more.

Doc, if you can come up with something more substantial than statements of doubt about these two then I'd happily listen to your thoughts without thinking you've not actually got an issue with them individually, rather than an issue with Macca and his coaching panel selections because he made them.

I'd like to see some fresh blood injected to the club, it's the best way for us to keep staying fresh and moving forward.

Fair questions Jeemak and i'm not sure how I can convince you other than to concur with the last line of your response about bringing fresh blood into the club.

Greystache
18-07-2014, 12:12 AM
OK, so you are anti Ling. Good we have your opinion so piss off

Normally when someone grants your request (in this case to respond to your question) the polite reply is to say thank you.

On topic I have been concerned with Grant's behaviour at various points since he took up coaching, but haven't heard anything coming out of the club to question if he is effective in his role. I do however regularly hear Mooney and Hansen being credited for the development of some of our young forwards. This leads me to two possible conclusions, 1) Grant isn't producing the level of improvement with the forwards as his peers, or 2) he is primarily involved in our overall game plan and player development rather than working specifically with the forwards group.

So based on those conclusions I feel we either should be looking to replace Grant or appoint another full time coach to work exclusively on forward craft.

jeemak
18-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Fair questions Jeemak and i'm not sure how I can convince you other than to concur with the last line of your response about bringing fresh blood into the club.

It's difficult from the outside looking in. When we have a few good weeks like we have now we seem on track, as all of the parts that development coaching staff have an input towards work well. When we go through a patch like we did until the Brisbane game it makes them look like they're not steering the ship very well.

Looking at the balance over the last three years though, I think only a very harsh judge could say there hasn't been improvement in most areas as a trend, in some cases irrespective of the win loss ratio. Webby posted a good stat recently, whereby he stated our last 25 games have resulted in 11 wins and 14 losses, which prior to the last month seemed a little out of reach as people compared this era to the Rhode era!

But as we both agree. Three years of the same coaching team should be sufficient for us to start looking at changing the mix a little.

The Doctor
18-07-2014, 12:17 AM
On topic I have been concerned with Grant's behaviour at various points since he took up coaching, but haven't heard anything coming out of the club to question if he is effective I his role. I do however regularly hear Mooney and Hansen being credited for the development of some of young forwards. This leads me to two possible conclusions, 1) Grant isn't producing the level of improvement with the forwards as his peers, or 2) he is primarily involved in our overall game plan and player development rather than working specifically with the forwards group.

So based on those conclusions I feel we either should be looking to replace Grant or appoint another full time coach to work exclusively on forward craft.

Thank you that's more like it and I retract my earlier comments.

I don't know if Ling is the answer but thought he would be worth the debate. Perhaps there are other candidates out there better credentialled but for now as it is topical why not have a chat about Ling.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2014, 12:30 AM
Would he help Wally and others?

Greystache
18-07-2014, 12:31 AM
Thank you that's more like it and I retract my earlier comments.

I don't know if Ling is the answer but thought he would be worth the debate. Perhaps there are other candidates out there better credentialled but for now as it is topical why not have a chat about Ling.

My concern about Ling, apart from the inevitable bidding war financially and with respect to the title he will command, is his specialty was work around the stoppages and midfield accountability and defence. My understanding is this is the particular area of the game that BMac and King excel at, both teaching and planning. I see forward craft, in particular leading patterns, marking, and body positioning as areas for substantial development, and that's not Ling's natural bag (acknowledging he was drafted as an undersized full forward), so I'd be inclined to look for an experienced forwards coach.

I would have said run and spread from stoppages was a gap given Bmac and King's skill set, but I'm willing to give Joel Corey the benefit of the doubt that he's capable in this area.

Bulldog4life
18-07-2014, 12:36 AM
It's difficult from the outside looking in. When we have a few good weeks like we have now we seem on track, as all of the parts that development coaching staff have an input towards work well. When we go through a patch like we did until the Brisbane game it makes them look like they're not steering the ship very well.

Looking at the balance over the last three years though, I think only a very harsh judge could say there hasn't been improvement in most areas as a trend, in some cases irrespective of the win loss ratio. Webby posted a good stat recently, whereby he stated our last 25 games have resulted in 11 wins and 14 losses, which prior to the last month seemed a little out of reach as people compared this era to the Rhode era!

But as we both agree. Three years of the same coaching team should be sufficient for us to start looking at changing the mix a little.

We will be doing that. Gia will be a full time assistant next year.

The Doctor
18-07-2014, 12:45 AM
My concern about Ling, apart from the inevitable bidding war financially and with respect to the title he will command, is his specialty was work around the stoppages and midfield accountability and defence. My understanding is this is the particular area of the game that BMac and King excel at, both teaching and planning. I see forward craft, in particular leading patterns, marking, and body positioning as areas for substantial development, and that's not Ling's natural bag (acknowledging he was drafted as an undersized full forward), so I'd be inclined to look for an experienced forwards coach.

I would have said run and spread from stoppages was a gap given Bmac and King's skill set, but I'm willing to give Joel Corey the benefit of the doubt that he's capable in this area.

Ling spent a lot of time in his junior career as a forward, full forward in fact. He adjusted his game when he came into the AFL system to become the midfielder he became. I think any aspiring coach would need to have a grasp of most positions whether he played in them or not. I could see Ling as naturally a forward or midfield coach.

The Doctor
18-07-2014, 12:47 AM

good

boydogs
18-07-2014, 01:21 AM
It's difficult to know who in the footy department is doing well and who isn't, but I think Brett Montgomery should come under question. The consensus re. Macca has been he is a good development coach but is yet to impress as a match day coach, yet Monty is the head of match day tactics

jeemak
18-07-2014, 01:33 AM
Ling spent a lot of time in his junior career as a forward, full forward in fact. He adjusted his game when he came into the AFL system to become the midfielder he became. I think any aspiring coach would need to have a grasp of most positions whether he played in them or not. I could see Ling as naturally a forward or midfield coach.

Which is why Shannon Grant probably presented as a rounded footballer and appealing as a coach. He kicked to the forwards from the middle, and spent a lot of time forward being kicked to by the middle.

Cameron Ling was a very limited footballer, who's ability or lack thereof was offset by his understanding of different facets of the game. It's what made him a good tagger, he knew when and how his opponent was going to get the ball, but most importantly, knew how to stop his opponent from using it.

Who's to say he's better than anyone else out there though? My issue isn't with Ling, it's with the narrow approach to selecting him for a high price when there's likely to enough coaches out there to give us what we need.

jeemak
18-07-2014, 01:36 AM

Yes, but I'd like more. Gia has been in our system for a long time and is genuinely part of the Bmac philosophy now, which means for mine we need to add to him as our incoming coaching talent.

Remi Moses
18-07-2014, 04:02 AM
So ling's a football genius and Grant and King are hopeless.
Must be read in the tea leaves, or something along those lines.
How on earth would you know?
These questions could only be answered internally, instead of some bloke on a website guessing.

bornadog
18-07-2014, 04:20 AM
Due to lack of funds, guys like Mooney and Scarlett are part time coaches. The club would love to have either them, or their positions as full timers. For awhile now I have had concerns about Montgomery, but of course I wouldn't know being an outsider.

As for Ling, unlike Voss, he has been tested as an assistant coach and could be a candidate. Maybe I am wrong, but I think Voss went straight into the full time coaching role without being an assistant?

So doc, I think we should have the balls and approach Ling, but he may prefer to be the understudy to Roos and takeover full time from 2016 or 2017.

Hotdog60
18-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Due to lack of funds, guys like Mooney and Scarlett are part time coaches. The club would love to have either them, or their positions as full timers. For awhile now I have had concerns about Montgomery, but of course I wouldn't know being an outsider.

As for Ling, unlike Voss, he has been tested as an assistant coach and could be a candidate. Maybe I am wrong, but I think Voss went straight into the full time coaching role without being an assistant?

So doc, I think we should have the balls and approach Ling, but he may prefer to be the understudy to Roos and takeover full time from 2016 or 2017.

I think I agree with the last part. He will go to a club that will offer a career path to a senior coach and Roos is not interested long term. As for the boys club part which there maybe some truth in. As a employer if you know the capabilities of a prospective employee wouldn't you naturally go with the known quantity.
All the players from Geelong come from a club that they were part of a substantial rebuild into the powerhouse it is today they are familiar with the processes that it took to achieve that status. If they build us into a dynasty that can be sustain for decades then we will have the finances to compete with the Collingwoods of this world a enhance our football department.

But in saying this the they need to keep the trend moving upwards or a refresh of the coaches maybe needed. I just think it's a year or two early to start looking at replacing the current crop. They are working from a very low base a time is needed to see the outcome.

The Doctor
18-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Must be read in the tea leaves, or something along those lines.
How on earth would you know?
These questions could only be answered internally, instead of some bloke on a website guessing.

fine, so let's not talk about anything then.

Why bother posting if you have nothing meaningful to contribute.

Go_Dogs
18-07-2014, 08:59 AM
I was pretty hopeful we would land Ling a while back (12-24 months ago) due to the Macca connection.

In the current circumstances I'm not sure whether he'd be right for us, given the competition for his services and likely price.

Gia coming on board seems a good move as we know he's familiar with our structures and a very smart forward in his own right.

I really rate Hansen and I wouldn't mind us expanding his role.

always right
18-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Perhaps if the thread simply asked the question if Ling would be a valuable addition to the coaching panel, the discussion may have been a little more constructive. By making the following statements, it shouldn't be a surprise when the thread tends to go off the rails somewhat. Just saying.;)

I've felt for a long time that our footy dept is a 'jobs for the boys' club.

Would Garlick have the audacity to come out from hiding under his desk to pull such a move?

I would like to see some new assistant coaches on the panel as I don't rate the current cop that highly with the exception of Monty.

For what it's worth, I don't know what all the fuss is about Ling. I hear he is doing some good leadership work at North Melbourne but I do wonder which Ling you would get as an assistant coach....."Strong Leadership Lingy" or "I'm everyone's mate Lingy". Most of us have only seen the latter version through his over-rated television work.

soupman
18-07-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm open to new additions to the coaching team. A new coaches input could be valuable, although I think we may be better served tactically to get a coach that has been involved in a different clubs setup to counter what could potentially be Geelong groupthink (not saying this is what happens, although with half the coaching panel being Cats it is a possibility).

So on the surface of things, with no knowledge of coaches aside from the limited media we receive about them, I think we would be better served bringing somebody in from a non-Geelong background (Hawthorn, Sydney, Freo etc.), particularly if it is for a more overarching position.

The problem with this discussion is that unlike players it is so difficult to assess how good a coach is or could be. When our forwardline is dysfunctional I have no idea whether it's BMacs, Grants or Montgomery's fault, or that the players aren't or are incapable of playing to instructions.

I have a rough idea of what I'd like in a new coach, but have no idea how to tell if any of the candidates is better suited than others or not.

The only things I can say with relative certainty is that I wouldn't appoint someone with limited-no experience coaching to a head coach position. Voss, Hird and Buckley have taught me that (I was always very bemused by the rush to sign them as head coaches, now that was boys club style appointing), and John Aloisi has especially taught me that.

chef
18-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Thompson would be a cracking right hand man for Macca when James Tird returns.

Mofra
18-07-2014, 10:53 AM
I've felt for a long time that our footy dept is a 'jobs for the boys' club. Yet, I now wonder if the best 'boy for the job' is available and within our grasp.
Just wondering what leads you to that conclusion.
Personally, I feel that if our football department really was a "jobs for the boys" club then Leon Cameron would be our coach right now, not B-Mac.

whythelongface
18-07-2014, 02:34 PM
First of all good thread Doc and makes for interesting discussion. Like any organisation we need to refresh and renew whether it be coaching, management, administration etc. Even having a succesful person (or who once was successful) in a role can lead to a stale environment where new ideas are not implemented or even encouraged. I look at Carlton for instance and the Malthouse situation - who knows if he is bereft of ideas or it is the playing group who aren't implementing his plans but it isn't working (at the moment). Anyway back on track someone like Lingy would be a welcome addition to the club as an assistant as he would bring experience and knowledge to the coaching team. As I don't know anything about the coaching team (apart from names) I have no idea whom he would replace or if he could used as an additional resource. Maybe he could also be used as a part-timer similar to Moons and Scarlo.

Couple of points:

1/ Not sure what the reference point to Voss is that others have alluded to apart from being the 'media darling'. It is not like he is taking over as HC and going to change the fabric of the club;

2/ Don't like the term "jobs for the boys". No doubt McCartney has assembled his coaching team but this is based on his understanding and knowledge of what drives a successful. Therefore he wants to surround himself with successful people. I congratulate him for being able to employ persons from arguably the most successful team over the last 20 years. A jobs for the boys is more employing someone in a role where there are clearly more suitable candidates available and that person only gets the job because of there association with the recruiter.

Remi Moses
18-07-2014, 02:37 PM
fine, so let's not talk about anything then.

Why bother posting if you have nothing meaningful to contribute.

Point I'm making is how on earth would you or I know how one of the assistant coaches is going?
They'll make changes, most clubs do.
Do yourself a favour and stop the hissy fits if someone has an opinion .

Remi Moses
18-07-2014, 02:40 PM
First of all good thread Doc and makes for interesting discussion. Like any organisation we need to refresh and renew whether it be coaching, management, administration etc. Even having a succesful person (or who once was successful) in a role can lead to a stale environment where new ideas are not implemented or even encouraged. I look at Carlton for instance and the Malthouse situation - who knows if he is bereft of ideas or it is the playing group who aren't implementing his plans but it isn't working (at the moment). Anyway back on track someone like Lingy would be a welcome addition to the club as an assistant as he would bring experience and knowledge to the coaching team. As I don't know anything about the coaching team (apart from names) I have no idea whom he would replace or if he could used as an additional resource. Maybe he could also be used as a part-timer similar to Moons and Scarlo.

Couple of points:

1/ Not sure what the reference point to Voss is that others have alluded to apart from being the 'media darling'. It is not like he is taking over as HC and going to change the fabric of the club;

2/ Don't like the term "jobs for the boys". No doubt McCartney has assembled his coaching team but this is based on his understanding and knowledge of what drives a successful. Therefore he wants to surround himself with successful people. I congratulate him for being able to employ persons from arguably the most successful team over the last 20 years. A jobs for the boys is more employing someone in a role where there are clearly more suitable candidates available and that person only gets the job because of there association with the recruiter.

Exactly right^^^ the head coach gets the scrutiny, but how do you assess an assistant?

Remi Moses
18-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Perhaps if the thread simply asked the question if Ling would be a valuable addition to the coaching panel, the discussion may have been a little more constructive. By making the following statements, it shouldn't be a surprise when the thread tends to go off the rails somewhat. Just saying.;)

For what it's worth, I don't know what all the fuss is about Ling. I hear he is doing some good leadership work at North Melbourne but I do wonder which Ling you would get as an assistant coach....."Strong Leadership Lingy" or "I'm everyone's mate Lingy". Most of us have only seen the latter version through his over-rated television work.

Since I've been away he's become vince Lombardi��

lemmon
18-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Exactly right^^^ the head coach gets the scrutiny, but how do you assess an assistant?

I'm scratching my head to remember who it was but one of the special comments people on SEN gave a throw away comment a few years back that stuck with me about assistants doing nothing more than moving cones around at training. Now that is obviously highly simplistic but there is a hint of truth to it in my mind. Shannon Grant has been called out a lot in the past about our sometimes lacking forward structure but I seriously can't imagine any senior coach letting a line assistant dictate how we set up or who runs where or player roles. Obviously they have some say but it is Macca's gameplan, Macca's style of footy and ultimately Macca's head on the chopping block should it go wrong.

I understand the role of Scarlett/Mooney as working with individuals, I understand the role of Ash Hansen as developing the young talent and I understand the role of Bomber Thompson as providing experience, a cool head and a sounding board but I'd be lying if I said I knew the outlined roles of a line coach or how best to evaluate them.

On Lingy specifically, if he interviews and presents as the best man for the job I'm all for it but a lot of the hype at the moment seems to be generated by the fact that he's a premiership captain, generally respected and in all honesty quite good mates with the majority of people in the industry. Get the best man for the job

always right
18-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Has anyone heard Ling say anything really insightful? Mr recollection is that he simply agrees with whatever view the commentary team expresses before they throw to him. His most repeated phrase appears to be "spot on <<insert commentator name>>"

Really don't get the love for him. Nice bloke and all but so was Peter Rhode...although I concede he has a few more runs on the board from a playing perspective.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-07-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm sure he's an intellectual footy brain, but nobody can possibly know whether or not he can actually coach. Big difference between the former and the latter.

Ozza
19-07-2014, 12:00 AM
It's been said on this thread that the "consensus" is that Macca struggles as a match day coach. I don't believe that is a consensus. It's an opinion of some.

It's also been stated that Mooney and Scarlett are part time due to costs. I don't believe that to be true. It has been represented in the media that Mooney is part time due to fox footy and SEN commitments. And Scarlo due to his own choice - and I believe he is coaching locally also.

Regarding Ling. From where, or how can the view be formed that he is in any way more qualified than Monty, Grant, king etc. Interested to know why Ling would be suggested as the best of the pack - better than Joel Corey (for instance).

Sedat
19-07-2014, 02:42 AM
Has anyone heard Ling say anything really insightful? Mr recollection is that he simply agrees with whatever view the commentary team expresses before they throw to him. His most repeated phrase appears to be "spot on <<insert commentator name>>"

Really don't get the love for him. Nice bloke and all but so was Peter Rhode...although I concede he has a few more runs on the board from a playing perspective.
Yep, I'm just as mystified by the whole Ling love. Maybe it is my set against anything to do with Channel 7, who are an absolute abomination and are completely and utterly destroying the watching pleasure of our game. The commentary 'insights' from the likes of Ling and Harley are so vacuous and shallow that they couldn't fill a thimble, so I couldn't imagine them being able to inspire and educate a dog, let alone 44 players.

Also if Ling cannot handle a couple of choice words from Malthouse whilst he is boundary riding, he is obviously not cut out to handle the enormous rigours and stresses of a coaching gig IMO.

bornadog
19-07-2014, 04:20 AM
It's also been stated that Mooney and Scarlett are part time due to costs. I don't believe that to be true. It has been represented in the media that Mooney is part time due to fox footy and SEN commitments. And Scarlo due to his own choice - and I believe he is coaching locally also.

I heard Mooney state this on radio. What he said (as I stated), was the roles are part time due to lack of funds. Whether Mooney or Scarlett want the role full time is not what I stated.

LostDoggy
19-07-2014, 06:59 AM
WOOF is a fantastic place to come and discuss our club, players, news, game plans and match day happenings. But turn the talk to the coaching group and the knives come out. Every time. I fail to see how calling someone a flog is meaningful contribution. I often wonder if you boys were in the pub rather than an Internet forum, would you be more polite?

Anyway…

I don't have a problem with the so-called boys club. If a coach has people he likes working with, and is confident in their abilities, I'd prefer that to a coaching panel that doesn't get along and is fighting to screw each other over for the top job.

Cameron Ling is a man who commands respect from players, is mentally tough, a key ingredient in a dynasty and by all accounts wants to make a name for himself in the coaching gig. Melbourne might be tempting as a path to senior coach, but I wonder about the attraction of completing football's most difficult coaching task: getting Footscray to the flag. Do that and have your pick of senior jobs anywhere in the land.

jeemak
19-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Yep, I'm just as mystified by the whole Ling love. Maybe it is my set against anything to do with Channel 7, who are an absolute abomination and are completely and utterly destroying the watching pleasure of our game. The commentary 'insights' from the likes of Ling and Harley are so vacuous and shallow that they couldn't fill a thimble, so I couldn't imagine them being able to inspire and educate a dog, let alone 44 players.

Also if Ling cannot handle a couple of choice words from Malthouse whilst he is boundary riding, he is obviously not cut out to handle the enormous rigours and stresses of a coaching gig IMO.

I think it's great that Ling fired back at the twerp, and should be right peeved about copping the spray that he copped for no reason.

F'scary
19-07-2014, 07:20 PM
We don't need no carrot-haired messiah at Western.

Scorlibo
19-07-2014, 07:21 PM
WOOF is a fantastic place to come and discuss our club, players, news, game plans and match day happenings. But turn the talk to the coaching group and the knives come out. Every time. I fail to see how calling someone a flog is meaningful contribution. I often wonder if you boys were in the pub rather than an Internet forum, would you be more polite?

Politeness is sometimes forgotten on these forums in the form of name-calling, but there's another kind of politeness that is demanded - to treat other members' views with respect and provide reasoned discussion if one's own views are to the contrary. These forums present an advantage when compared to the pub scene in this sense.

Having said that, I agree with Greystache and others. It doesn't seem that Cameron Ling is so different to a lot of ex-AFL captains, but the media has snowballed his reputation. My concern isn't so much the price tag, because I think that the soft cap on football department spending will put us on a level playing field with at least half the competition. Rather, it's this reputation that could see him shoot off to another club after only just arriving or create uncertainty about Macca as head coach. Ling is no Aker, but it's the same kind of apprehension I felt at the time of signing Aker: whether he wants it or not, Ling would be talked up as being more than the other assistant coaches, which could have an undesirable effect later down the track.

The Doctor
19-07-2014, 08:12 PM

If the Club comes out in the near future and announces "Cameron Ling has been appointed assistant coach", what would be your reaction?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-07-2014, 08:36 PM
If the Club comes out in the near future and announces "Cameron Ling has been appointed assistant coach", what would be your reaction?
My reaction would be that the club had done its due diligence and determined there was an appropriate role for him at the club.

Remi Moses
19-07-2014, 09:05 PM

My reaction would be hoping he is an assistant coach in a successful era.

The Doctor
19-07-2014, 09:13 PM
My reaction would be hoping he is an assistant coach in a successful era.

nice straight bat, beautifully played. Very Boycottish!

The Doctor
19-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Politeness is sometimes forgotten on these forums in the form of name-calling, but there's another kind of politeness that is demanded - to treat other members' views with respect and provide reasoned discussion if one's own views are to the contrary. These forums present an advantage when compared to the pub scene in this sense.

Having said that, I agree with Greystache and others. It doesn't seem that Cameron Ling is so different to a lot of ex-AFL captains, but the media has snowballed his reputation. My concern isn't so much the price tag, because I think that the soft cap on salary cap spending will put us on a level playing field with at least half the competition. Rather, it's this reputation that could see him shoot off to another club after only just arriving or create uncertainty about Macca as head coach. Ling is no Aker, but it's the same kind of apprehension I felt at the time of signing Aker: whether he wants it or not, Ling would be talked up as being more than the other assistant coaches, which could have an undesirable effect later down the track.

Great post Scorlibo

Twodogs
20-07-2014, 01:49 AM
I'd like to see a coach who is known for teaching the skilful side of the game. Our guys really need to hone their kicking and handball skills.