PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 18

Eastdog
18-07-2014, 04:27 PM
This is the round 18 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Essendon is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Good so far, but there's always some better than not. Fire away.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2014, 08:21 PM
B:

Bonts
Stringer
Wallis before injury

A:

Redpath can't play to this level
Austin can't play to this level
Dahl's two back to back turnovers, good game, but those 8 seconds will stick with him until next game

Eastdog
20-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Bankers:

Bonts - Great again today. Going to become a club favourite.

Stringer - Did a lot of good things up forward

Redpath - Thought he did good as well today. Need to give him time.

Anchors

Our defence at times didn't work hard enough

That final quarter

The 4:40pm time slot

F'scary
20-07-2014, 09:03 PM
B:

A:

Redpath can't play to this level

Bankers:
Redpath - Thought he did good as well today. Need to give him time.

That's one vote for Redpath, one against. Interested in hearing arguments both ways.

Rance Fan
20-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Bankers

Bonts - hes got skills
Stringer - Great game
McCrae - top effort

Anchors

Cooney - gone, no effect
Backline - got dominated
Crameri - not enough delivered

bulldogtragic
20-07-2014, 09:09 PM
That's one vote for Redpath, one against. Interested in hearing arguments both ways.

Gets credit for being big. He's played 360 minutes of footy for a few marks, a few kicks and 2 goals. Yes he's big, yes he crashes packs, but he does nothing else. That's why he's only a rookie and faced with anyone else wanting him, that's not a reason to elevate him. He seems like a good young man, his comebacks from injury have been most professional. But in a world where we have limited spots on the list, I haven't seen enough at VFL level and I've seen nothing at AFL level either. Sorry if my opinion is 'negative', but it's just the way i've seen it for some time with him now.

Rance Fan
20-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Redpath - tried, I prefer Jones

Eastdog
20-07-2014, 09:15 PM

I certainly think Redpath can play at this level but we have to remember this is only his 3rd game of AFL footy. Yes he has a long way to go still but from what I've seen so far I thought he provided something along with Stringer and Bonts up there.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2014, 09:20 PM
I certainly think Redpath can play at this level but we have to remember this is only his 3rd game of AFL footy. Yes he has a long way to go still but from what I've seen so far I thought he provided something along with Stringer and Bonts up there.

Stringer and Bontempelli might seek defamation action against you for linking their meteoric rises to a guy 1 goal, bugger all touches today.

F'scary
20-07-2014, 09:22 PM
response to BT 8:09pm today:

I don't think you were being negative - a call will have to be made at the end of the year and what you have said in relation to only so many spots on the list is a telling point. We already have at least 1 "project" player (Cordy) on the senior list as well as a few who will have a lot of scrutiny at the end of the year and if retained will likewise be "project" players (i.e., haven't shown much but are being persisted with in the hope they will develop).

F'scary
20-07-2014, 09:24 PM
stringer and bontempelli might seek defamation action against you for linking their meteoric rises to a guy 1 goal, bugger all touches today.

:d:d:d

Go_Dogs
20-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Bankers:-

Griffen, great having him back out there. If he can get his body right for 2015, watch out.
Bontempelli, just does so many things well. I like him up forward, he's going to be a bloke we will wish we had 3 of for the next 10+ years.
Stringer - low possession game but finished when the opportunity came, highlight was the Minson tap, Stringer gather and snap goal.

Anchors:-
Bombers fans
I may be wrong, but I feel like they had more frees inside their F50, so I'll hand an anchor to the umps
Defensive work - we just needed to find a way to get an effective third man up on Carlisle and couldn't find a way to do it.

G-Mo77
20-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Bankers

Stringer. Love what I'm seeing in recent weeks.

Bonts. A real x-factor and a "poster boy" for our club. Having him brings us more fans and publicity.

Grif. Looked great out there and added some balance to our mids.

Anchors

Back half. Not singling anyone they just didn't work together.

Cooney poor as sub.

Crameri poor again against his old club. He is droppable right now

Eastdog
20-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Stringer and Bontempelli might seek defamation action against you for linking their meteoric rises to a guy 1 goal, bugger all touches today.

:D :D

You had BT Bonts and Stringer as Bankers. I put them as mine as well. There going to be very good forwards. How did you rate Libba's today?

Sedat
20-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Bankers:

Macrae - terrific in both directions again, 9 inside 50's and also plenty of work in the back half
Wallis - excellent first 3 quarters on their most important midfielder at the moment. Losing him (and the early call on taking Picken off) was pivotal in the last qtr
Stringer - got on his bike and made himself dangerous in our forward 50. Natural footballer.

Anchors:

Midfield's inability to support the defenders by dropping into Carlisle's leading space. Macrae the only mid to try and do this.
Cooney's missed tackle - just a poor effort that was very costly on the night
Fumbling - JJ, Stevens the main culprits

bulldogtragic
20-07-2014, 09:49 PM
:D :D

You had BT Bonts and Stringer as Bankers. I put them as mine as well. There going to be very good forwards. How did you rate Libba's today?

Libba will win a brownlow. Best lowest pick since Chris Grant we will be saying in years to come (43 I think we was).

ratsmac
20-07-2014, 10:36 PM
B
Bonts - by banker I mean sign him an extension now.
MaCrae - smooth mover, all class.
Stringer - look who has his swagger back.

A
Roughead /Morris - a joint anchor because together they had no answer to Carlisle.

Coach - where was the loose man/men in defence. Ok Murphy played as the extra at times but why wasn't he or someone standing in the hole or 3rd man up.

Coach - I couldn't understand the Picken sub. Proved costly imo.

Cooney - zero impact when he came on

Losing - I hate losing.

The Underdog
20-07-2014, 11:05 PM
B

Coach - where was the loose man/men in defence. Ok Murphy played as the extra at times but why wasn't he or someone standing in the hole or 3rd man up.

At times we had a loose, but it wasn't particularly effective. To be fair, Carlisle was leading really well and also taking makes over multiple players anyway. ssendon moved Fletcher forward later in the game to counter the extra man

Bankers:

Stringer - First game he's really effected for an extended period. 5 goals was a great return

Bontempelli - Looked really good up forward, thought his work as a 3rd tall was really promising

Griffen - Some of his efforts in the last quarter were really impressive, just ran out of help

Anchors -

Defense - It was a mess. They looked lost & confused from early on and it didn't really improve. It was covered up while we won ball but really came back to haunt us. Was probably Roughy's worst game for a while and Morris wasn't much better. Not sure if they chose to swap opponents themselves after Carlisle kicked a couple on Morris or whether it was dictated by the coach but it was odd.

Redpath - Not really good enough to get your first possession just before half time, even if it is a goal. I think Jones might have got his spot back today with his performance

JJ - Thought after he had a cracker last week so was disappointed with his ball use and some of his decision making.

boydogs
20-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Bankers

Forward line, 14 goals from 45 inside 50's. Functioning nicely. 14.5 off our boot with 5 behinds rushed
The kids, good again after carrying us last week
Effort & intensity, execution wasn't always there but we contested manfully

Anchors

Defense - poorly organised despite Essendon being utterly predictable with their target
Coaching - Cooney as sub found it hard to get into it after 3 weeks off, Austin not tried on Carlisle, not putting Boyd or Stevens onto Heppell when Wallis went off
Umpiring - utterly random, particularly in the 1st quarter. Became a farce with make up kick after make up kick being given to even up errors

Ozza
20-07-2014, 11:48 PM

We had one extra for roughly half of the match. Austin was the extra for the whole last quarter. Bonti spent time there in the second quarter. Murphy also as you said. There were also occasions when Picken was an extra - but also begun being manned up by Goddard for a brief time (which wasn't ideal).

The thing about standing in the hole - is that another essendon fwd just stood next to them to create the 1 v 2.

Mofra
20-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Bontempelli, just does so many things well. I like him up forward, he's going to be a bloke we will wish we had 3 of for the next 10+ years.
He is the new Robert Murphy. For years we wanted a Murphy at each end of the ground. Now we want a Bonti forward & in the middle.

He's a first year player. Hooley dooley. :eek:

Ozza
21-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Bankers:

Stringer - very lively...and got a couple early on Fletcher which challenged the oppositions thinking.
Bonti - looks dangerous wherever he is. Has a good feel for the game. Even little things, like recognising Hibberd is a left foot only player, and corralling him rather than letting him wheel around to his nice left. Our young crop have some smarts!
Stevens - really good job on Zaharakis, and worked so hard off the ball too.

Anchors:

It's hard to play as the sub...and coming off injury....but we needed greater application from Cooney. At least if you can't get a kick - do something defensively....or be an option for the kicker...he's an 11 year player.

Possibly due to fatigue - but the whole group's team defence was poor for the last 15 mins after being so good for most of the game.

bornadog
21-07-2014, 03:49 AM

Yes the Sockeye Salmon rule comes in ie 20 games before we start to assess him.. He has had a taste of the big time and can go back to the VFL and learn some more.

LostDoggy
21-07-2014, 09:33 AM
There were numerous times We had the footy around the defensive side of the wing and Redpath was standing 80 metres away not presenting. Minson couldn't get to the spot because he was in the previous contest. Bonti on one occasion had to try and kick it 80 metres just to get it near him, of course it went on the full.

Redpath just isn't smart enough at the moment. Maybe it's a fitness issue I'm not sure..

Mantis
21-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Bankers:

Stringer - Good things happen when you get on your bike.. Good signs
Macrae - Finds space in tight situations, just needs to sharpen up his kicking.
Bont - Just doing the hard things well... Going to be exceptional.

Anchors:

Roughy - Howler.
Redpath - 20 game rule or not, he just isn't going to make it.
Coaches - For allowing Morris to stand Carlisle.. It was never going to work! Why not try Austin?