PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 19 vs Hawthorn

Eastdog
18-07-2014, 04:31 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 19 game against Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Remembering next week is the boys week off.

G-Mo77
20-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Jones got 6 goals today for Footscray didn't he? I'd put my house on his return against the Hawks

bulldogtragic
20-07-2014, 08:25 PM
It looks like I'm singling them out, and I guess I am, but our side improves massively with Redpath for Jones and Talia/Roberts for Austin. Stevens fumbling I think might be mentioned too.

westdog54
20-07-2014, 08:45 PM
It looks like I'm singling them out, and I guess I am, but our side improves massively with Redpath for Jones and Talia/Roberts for Austin. Stevens fumbling I think might be mentioned too.

You're being negative. ;-)

Shattering that Smith had done his knee.

Jones surely gets a game.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2014, 08:52 PM

Funnily enough, i'm not anywhere near as unhappy as others. I thought effort, application and so forth was there today. Just a crap back 50 day and a few skill errors cost us. But I see immediate areas to improve, including assuming its OK to out Macrae on application, then Macca should out Crameri the same what and check for the response. That we can see two positions with net gains in key areas and lose to the 6th team by a goal, that's not too bad, not good. But that's why we have a week to think about it and wind the boys up to take down the Hawks.

Rance Fan
20-07-2014, 09:17 PM
IN - Roberts, Jones, Gia
OUT - Austin, Redpath, Cooney

Go_Dogs
20-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Early in the piece, but at the moment I'd be making 2 changes.

Out - Austin, Redpath

In - Roberts, Campbell

Jones also a chance to resume, but I'm happy for him to string together another 2 or 3 really strong VFL games.

F'scary
20-07-2014, 09:38 PM

What's this about Smith - went to the club website and didn't see anything.

azabob
20-07-2014, 09:39 PM

Check the VFL thread.

Go_Dogs
20-07-2014, 09:39 PM

Suspected ACL, same knee, devastating...

F'scary
20-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Suspected ACL, same knee, devastating...

I don't want to believe this. Agghhh!

always right
20-07-2014, 09:54 PM
He's a battler no doubt but I thought Austin was serviceable today. Wasn't he on Ambrose? Can someone tell me where he was poor or is he simply the whipping boy at the moment?

No way Cooney gets dropped after one, admittedly disappointing quarter. I'll reserve judgement for another week before stamping his papers like some have.

I think there is a bit to work with in Redpath but he should be replaced by Jones who has done everything right since being dropped.

No other changes.

F'scary
20-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Check the VFL thread.

I don't want to believe this. Agghhh!

trying to be positive - there were a couple of posts saying it was still to be assessed, maybe it is not as bad as last time.

lemmon
20-07-2014, 10:03 PM
He's a battler no doubt but I thought Austin was serviceable today. Wasn't he on Ambrose? Can someone tell me where he was poor or is he simply the whipping boy at the moment?

Austin was far from our worst today, rotated through a number of the Essendon smalls and beat them all even if he did turn over the footy a few times. He really should have had a crack at Carlisle at some stage. It was obvious that Roughy lacked the athleticism and Morris the size to go with him, surely when you are getting belted to that extent to one guy he was worth a crack? Just looked as if the coaches box had no faith in him to play on Carlisle when he was tearing everyone to shreds.

always right
20-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Roughead should have gone back to Carlisle when it was obvious Morris couldn't contain him. Our only defender with the physical attributes to compete.

Sedat
20-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Austin was far from our worst today, rotated through a number of the Essendon smalls and beat them all even if he did turn over the footy a few times.
Agree with this. Thought he was probably our best one-on-one defender for the night, even though that is not saying a hell of a lot. He stays in this week for mine.

jeemak
20-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Austin was far from our worst today, rotated through a number of the Essendon smalls and beat them all even if he did turn over the footy a few times. He really should have had a crack at Carlisle at some stage. It was obvious that Roughy lacked the athleticism and Morris the size to go with him, surely when you are getting belted to that extent to one guy he was worth a crack? Just looked as if the coaches box had no faith in him to play on Carlisle when he was tearing everyone to shreds.

I didn't think Austin was too bad today, save for one effort in the third when he needed to put a hard body on Carlisle whilst running against it, even though it wasn't his man.

It was just as if he didn't get that his man was irrelevant for that moment, and that he needed to effect a team oriented play. No reason to drop him though, the rest of his game was more than serviceable.

I'll wait for the injury wash up. Apparently Wallis played on a broken foot for the second half and won't play for the rest of the season, and I haven't looked at the two's result yet.

lemmon
20-07-2014, 10:19 PM
I didn't think Austin was too bad today, save for one effort in the third when he needed to put a hard body on Carlisle whilst running against it, even though it wasn't his man.

It was just as if he didn't get that his man was irrelevant for that moment, and that he needed to effect a team oriented play. No reason to drop him though, the rest of his game was more than serviceable.

That could be said for a number of our blokes today, have seriously never seen a spare back have less impact. We played with one for the majority of the final three quarters, whether it was Murphy, Wood even Boyd occasionally and Bonti at the end of the second term and they would sit five metres in front of Carlisle, attempt to fly back with the footy but were nothing but stepping stones. It got to the point that we were so Carlisle conscious everyone flew and I think it was Chapman who stayed down, got the easy crumb and finished with a goal.

jeemak
20-07-2014, 10:25 PM
That could be said for a number of our blokes today, have seriously never seen a spare back have less impact. We played with one for the majority of the final three quarters, whether it was Murphy, Wood even Boyd occasionally and Bonti at the end of the second term and they would sit five metres in front of Carlisle, attempt to fly back with the footy but were nothing but stepping stones. It got to the point that we were so Carlisle conscious everyone flew and I think it was Chapman who stayed down, got the easy crumb and finished with a goal.

Chapman laid it off with easy hands to a running Essendon player. Really disappointing that we made Chapman look relevant tonight in the last.

SlimPickens
20-07-2014, 11:20 PM
4. Macrae
3. Griffen
2. Morris - destroyed Goddard and was unusually offensive, not his fault Roughy couldn't handle Carlisle
1. Wallis - well on top of Heppell before getting injured

2. Macrae
1. Wallis

That's 4 ins and 2 outs ;)

LostDoggy
20-07-2014, 11:35 PM

No way Cooney gets dropped after one, admittedly disappointing quarter. I'll reserve judgement for another week before stamping his papers like some have.

I think there is a bit to work with in Redpath but he should be replaced by Jones who has done everything right since being dropped.

No other changes.
I thought Austin was fine today and should hold his spot. Seems that no matter how well he plays people will want him out.Whipping boy!

Ozza
20-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Good to see (so far) nobody calling for Stevens head.
He is one that I thought was terrific - yet I imagine wouldn't have been captured quite as well on TV. Did a terrific job on Zaharakis and really made Zaka run hard defensively with some huge efforts and regularly ran 80-90 metres to provide an option or create space for others.

Too early to say on changes given that Wallis is a maybe. Cooney coming on was a disaster, he couldn't have looked more out of touch.

boydogs
21-07-2014, 12:08 AM
That's 4 ins and 2 outs ;)

Cheers, fixed

Out: Austin, Redpath, Wallis
In: Roberts, Jones, Higgins

jeemak
21-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Cheers, fixed

Out: Austin, Redpath, Wallis
In: Roberts, Jones, Higgins

In lieu of Wallis likely being out for the season, I'd like to see Higgins play in the middle as a more defensively minded player whilst working through the half forward area.

It will give us a good indication of his ability to eat it up and play for the team. It will give him a good opportunity to show the club he wants to do what's best for it.

bornadog
21-07-2014, 03:41 AM
Going by Reports:

Out: Wallis, Picken, Austin

In: Jones, Roberts, Higgins.

GVGjr
21-07-2014, 06:18 AM
Going by Reports:

Out: Wallis, Picken, Austin

In: Jones, Roberts, Higgins.

How does the forward line work by adding an extra tall in Jones? Jones, Stringer, Crameri and Redpath seems top heavy to me.

bornadog
21-07-2014, 07:01 AM
How does the forward line work by adding an extra tall in Jones? Jones, Stringer, Crameri and Redpath seems top heavy to me.
Sorry meant to drop Redpath for Jones.

So Picken stays in.

GVGjr
21-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Could Redpath be used as a CHB?

Go_Dogs
21-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Just on Austin, agree he wasn't bad yesterday, but we need a genuine key defender. Morris can play the role Austin did yesterday and allow Roughie/Roberts to take the key forwards.

If Wallis' injury is as bad as suggested it really hurts and I wonder if it opens the door for Jong to come back in and play a defensive role. Certainly compounds the loss of Smith who would've been a monty to otherwise fill Wally's role.

Mantis
21-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Good to see (so far) nobody calling for Stevens head.
He is one that I thought was terrific - yet I imagine wouldn't have been captured quite as well on TV. Did a terrific job on Zaharakis and really made Zaka run hard defensively with some huge efforts and regularly ran 80-90 metres to provide an option or create space for others.

I was going to call for his head.. I watched the game from home so I didn't get to see all his off the ball running, but he is a fair dinkum liability when he has the ball in his hands. We have far too many players who don't use the ball well enough/ make good decisions and it hurts.. The fact that he is a fumbler doesn't help.

Jones for Redpath is a must.

Ozza
21-07-2014, 09:51 AM
I was going to call for his head.. I watched the game from home so I didn't get to see all his off the ball running, but he is a fair dinkum liability when he has the ball in his hands. We have far too many players who don't use the ball well enough/ make good decisions and it hurts.. The fact that he is a fumbler doesn't help.

Agree that Jones for Redpath is a must. On Stevens, I really think we'd miss his running capacity if he wasn't in the team. Is playing an important role at the moment as that run with type player who still goes after some footy. We were out on our feet in the last quarter as a collective - and although Boyd and Stevens don't distribute the ball as well as some others - they were the too that were still covering the ground and staying involved.

always right
21-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Stevens has his limitations but some of his physical work yersterday was really important. We don't have many players of his type with a real physical presence. Sure he fumbled a couple of times bu I think people focus too much on isolated instances that fuel their prejudice against certain players (I'm not potting you here). Why not highlight the fact that he is one of the few players who lowers his eyes kicking into our forward 50. It's a bit like some of the criticism of Dahlhaus....do his two poor kicking turnovers late in the game completely negate his outstanding work for the rest of the match? Do a couple of Boyd's errors yesterday outweigh his tough contested work which saved us on several occasions and reduced Stanton's effectiveness?

LostDoggy
21-07-2014, 03:38 PM
For 2 weeks in a row now (It's probably happened more but I've just noticed it more the last 2 weeks) Minson has completely run out of steam come the final quarter.

Against Gold Coast he was arguably the best player on the ground up until half time. Did absolutely nothing in the second half. Was fortunate our midfield got right on top late.

Against Essendon Ryder beat him all night. But the last quarter was just complete domination and cost us the match. I'm sure i remember seeing the hitouts were in our favour by about 10 or so all match. Final hitout count ended up 42-40. I'm not sure Minson got his hands on it once in the last quarter.

I would really like to know the hitout/clearance numbers for that last quarter. Sure Wallis going off hurt, but what hurt more was our sole ruckmen was unable to get his hand on the ball at all due to being absolutely spent.

Campbell must come in this week. Have the split at around 65-35% Minsons way.

wimberga
23-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Agree that Jones for Redpath is a must. On Stevens, I really think we'd miss his running capacity if he wasn't in the team. Is playing an important role at the moment as that run with type player who still goes after some footy. We were out on our feet in the last quarter as a collective - and although Boyd and Stevens don't distribute the ball as well as some others - they were the too that were still covering the ground and staying involved.

Agree wholeheartedly - Stevens is a pure gut runner, can play a quasi defensive role and can be handy playing up forward to. Don't disagree that his disposal/decision making could improve, but I believe that he is playing a really important role for us. Wouldnt mind seeing him rotated up forward a bit more when able as he can provide a good lead up option and has a nice shot for goal.

Have also heard Macca praise Stevens in a couple of press conferences, so hes still doing the things the coaches want too which is good.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2014, 03:53 PM
The frustrating thing with Stevens is that he could be a much better player if he tidied up the basic errors that he often makes, such as fumbling and hospital handballs.

I like him, but he could be a pretty damaging player if he fixed the above.

Mofra
23-07-2014, 05:03 PM
The frustrating thing with Stevens is that he could be a much better player if he tidied up the basic errors that he often makes, such as fumbling and hospital handballs.

I like him, but he could be a pretty damaging player if he fixed the above.
He covered an amazing amount of ground - I don't recall too many players who cover the ground he does for little reward (leads often ignored).

He is a player who will frustrate everyone for years because he is best 22 yet he has one huge gaping limitation - the peripheral vision of a CUB Clydesdale, with blinkers.

He can do everything else but just doesn't seem to be able to sense when anyone is near him side-on.

Cyberdoggie
23-07-2014, 06:22 PM
He covered an amazing amount of ground - I don't recall too many players who cover the ground he does for little reward (leads often ignored).

He is a player who will frustrate everyone for years because he is best 22 yet he has one huge gaping limitation - the peripheral vision of a CUB Clydesdale, with blinkers.

He can do everything else but just doesn't seem to be able to sense when anyone is near him side-on.

Bob Murphy is the same, he gets caught a lot and goes that bit too far. I'd rather they be not afraid to take the game on then end up like Mitch Wallis and just spoon the ball out as soon as they lay hands on it and put the pressure on someone else though, so it's a bit of a catch 22.

F'scary
23-07-2014, 09:12 PM

I'm going to join in and say if he just takes a few more risks by holding on to the ball a bit longer, taking his chances with being tackled and trying to run with it, his value to the team could improve dramatically. In other respects he is a pretty reasonable footballer and I note that his kicking from stop plays like marks and free kicks has been pretty good the past few weeks - seems to spot up loose players running into useful positions up field well and executes the pass ok.

always right
23-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Funny how we all see things differently. In my mind Murphy rarely gets caught whilst to me one of Steven's characteristics is his willingness to hold onto the ball and take on the tackler.

LostDoggy
23-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Funny how we all see things differently. In my mind Murphy rarely gets caught whilst to me one of Steven's characteristics is his willingness to hold onto the ball and take on the tackler.

Bob holds onto it for longer than almost any other player in the game can; you think he's about to be brought down and with one beautiful step he's in space again.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2014, 10:54 PM

Yep - his gut running ability was one of the reasons I really wanted us to pick him up.

He will have his form fluctuations because of the reasons above, but he's been a valuable pick up, and he'll continue to be for quite a while IMO.

wimberga
24-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Yep - his gut running ability was one of the reasons I really wanted us to pick him up.

He will have his form fluctuations because of the reasons above, but he's been a valuable pick up, and he'll continue to be for quite a while IMO.

well said TBB. Softens the phasing out of Boyd over the next couple of years as well.

bornadog
25-07-2014, 01:47 AM

I seriously question his long term viability with us. Some of the young guys coming through have more football smarts than he does, like Hunter, Hrovat to name a few. Unless he fixes his hospital handpasses and general disposal he will not be top 22 for mine.

F'scary
25-07-2014, 01:49 AM

True, he does that because he gets involved with the seriously inside stuff (which would be one of the things that keeps him in the side). I was talking more about the other side of his game when he is linking up out of defence or in the centre or is positioned on the outside of the pack. For me, that is where his notorious hot potato handballing occurs.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2014, 02:43 AM
I seriously question his long term viability with us. Some of the young guys coming through have more football smarts than he does, like Hunter, Hrovat to name a few. Unless he fixes his hospital handpasses and general disposal he will not be top 22 for mine.

They're already best 22.

bornadog
25-07-2014, 08:27 AM
They're already best 22.

They may be but Stevens won't in the future.

wimberga
25-07-2014, 08:52 AM
They may be but Stevens won't in the future.

I can see where you are coming from, particularly with the young talent coming through. and you may well be right.

But I also wouldn't be too quick to dismiss B-macs ability to develop and work with a player. The positive attributes Stevens has in terms of gut running, potency up forward and hardness around the ball are all quite good, I think if we can somehow get an extra 10% out of his weaknesses, he can secure a spot.

Time will tell, but the reality is that there are only 22 spots available so someones going to miss out.

bornadog
25-07-2014, 06:50 PM
I can see where you are coming from, particularly with the young talent coming through. and you may well be right.

But I also wouldn't be too quick to dismiss B-macs ability to develop and work with a player. The positive attributes Stevens has in terms of gut running, potency up forward and hardness around the ball are all quite good, I think if we can somehow get an extra 10% out of his weaknesses, he can secure a spot.

Time will tell, but the reality is that there are only 22 spots available so someones going to miss out.

Look I agree, I am just worried about his disposal and lack of vision. You can't get away with it anymore. Turnover of the ball is the biggest error in football these days. If he can fix that, he will be a good player but at the moment its a concern

F'scary
25-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Look I agree, I am just worried about his disposal and lack of vision. You can't get away with it anymore. Turnover of the ball is the biggest error in football these days. If he can fix that, he will be a good player but at the moment its a concern

But he (Stevens) hasn't been turning it over in my opinion when he has been kicking over the man on the mark in recent weeks. Quite the opposite, he has been picking out leads to better positions well on a number of occasions. I'm not saying I'm his biggest fan, just that his disposal/vision issue seems to be very particular - the hot potato handball when he in fact has a little more time to assess, perhaps carry and draw opposition players to him (thus opening up our players to receive). It is as if he is scared witless of being pinged for holding/not disposing the ball correctly. Maybe he had a traumatic experience in the past with a previous coach at some level?

jeemak
25-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Stevens is a more than competent finisher in general play and around goal, and I think this gets pushed aside due to the odd fumble and the occasional poor disposal by hand.

I fear he's going to become one of those players who gets maligned more so than he should due to his occasional errors being of high consequence irrespective of his overall contribution being positive.

He's best 22 now and there's no reason why he can't be going forward. Boyd's retiring and like it or not, there's significant doubt over Smith's longevity (and I think Smith is his main competition for a spot) so for now if he keeps improving and minimising his mistakes then he'll be fine.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-07-2014, 10:34 PM

Stevens lack of vision is invariably the result of the lack of skill on his left side. He always turns on to the right of his body where often there is two to three opponents. He is however a hard worker inspite of his deficiencies.

The Underdog
25-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Stevens is a more than competent finisher in general play and around goal, and I think this gets pushed aside due to the odd fumble and the occasional poor disposal by hand.

I fear he's going to become one of those players who gets maligned more so than he should due to his occasional errors being of high consequence irrespective of his overall contribution being positive.

He's best 22 now and there's no reason why he can't be going forward. Boyd's retiring and like it or not, there's significant doubt over Smith's longevity (and I think Smith is his main competition for a spot) so for now if he keeps improving and minimising his mistakes then he'll be fine.

Nice work Jeemak. That pretty much sums up the reasoning behind my signature.

soupman
26-07-2014, 07:50 AM
I actually think his awareness and decision making in the second half of the season has improved. I don't recall any specific instances where he has been blindsided or has handballed to the wrong player (or to their feet for that matter).

Stevens brings to the side a big body through the middle that can break tackles. In a sense he plays similarly to what I imagine is the vision for Crameri in the middle, except Stevens is a good overhead mark (something I think he doesn't receive much recognition for).

He is far from the complete player but he does offer something different to the lighter framed more skillful guys like Hrovat, Hunter, Dahlhaus etc.

The Underdog
26-07-2014, 08:20 AM
I actually think his awareness and decision making in the second half of the season has improved. I don't recall any specific instances where he has been blindsided or has handballed to the wrong player (or to their feet for that matter).

Stevens brings to the side a big body through the middle that can break tackles. In a sense he plays similarly to what I imagine is the vision for Crameri in the middle, except Stevens is a good overhead mark (something I think he doesn't receive much recognition for).

He is far from the complete player but he does offer something different to the lighter framed more skillful guys like Hrovat, Hunter, Dahlhaus etc.

And you don't generally pick up a complete player for pick 44 in the draft but I'd argue he's already given pretty decent value for what we spent on him. He's only 23, played less than 50 games and has lost a couple of development years to injury. There's scope for improvement for sure but the level of criticism he receives feels out of whack to the actual problem.

Hotdog60
26-07-2014, 10:28 AM
I have no problems with Stevens, the same as I don't have any problems with the rest of the list. I do get frustrated during games with various players and sometimes may call for their heads. But I will bow to the footy department and who ever gets hired for the footy department as knowing better about a player than I do.
All I care about is the end result and how we go about it. I see a bright future and if we can hang on to the right players we will maybe go further than we have in the last 60 years. Players make mistakes during the heat of play, what we need to do is make sure those mistakes are minimised to not have an effect on the outcome of the game.

Hotdog60
26-07-2014, 10:30 AM
P.S. who ever gets a game against Hawthorn I think we will get home in a tight one.

bornadog
31-07-2014, 05:05 PM
The fringe player may be selected this week.

Shaun Higgins’ strong VFL performance could see him recalled to the senior team to take on Hawthorn according to Senior Coach Brendan McCartney.However, a number of other encouraging performances in the VFL will provide a selection headache, with at least one change to be made after Mitch Wallis sustained a season ending foot injury.
“He [Higgins] is very close to coming back. He went back to work on a couple of things and he did that,” McCartney said.
“It’s tough when you have been a seasoned AFL player to go back and deal with it but he’s went back and played a good brand of footy so he’s certainly given himself a great chance to come back.”

Scorlibo
31-07-2014, 06:07 PM
The fringe player may be selected this week.

He played some really great football at Footscray. Some clever inside work to complement his polish was particularly good to see.

Pickenitup
31-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Lin Jong promoted to the senior list one thinks he will come in for Wallis.

In Jones Jong
Out Wallis Redpath

divvydan
31-07-2014, 07:28 PM
IN
Shaun Higgins, Mitch Honeychurch, Sam Darley, Brett Goodes, Tom Campbell
OUT
Easton Wood (Omitted), Mitch Wallis (Foot)

Wood obviously the surprise. All the ins are on extended bench.

lemmon
31-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Wood omitted? Has he re-signed? Makes me wonder whether other clubs are sniffing around and he has hinted at a move.

bornadog
31-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Wood omitted? And yet to re-sign? Makes me wonder whether other clubs are sniffing around and he has hinted at a move.

We read too much into these things. Lets start a thread on Wood. In fact I will.

Mantis
31-07-2014, 07:36 PM
No Jones??

Yeah, Redpath has been awesome.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Some strange moves here.

- No Jones - hasn't he kicked 10 in 2 weeks? Either way, pretty stiff to kick 6 and not get a look in when Redpath has struggled.
- Wood getting dropped. He's had a very good year, and if he's needed against any team, surely it is against Hawthorn who have so many good forward options? This worries me a little re: the topic listed above..

whythelongface
31-07-2014, 07:42 PM
No Jones??

I am surprised as well. Thought with 6 goals last game he would have been included .

The bulldog tragician
31-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Wood omitted? I'm really shocked at this. What is the reasoning?

jeemak
31-07-2014, 08:01 PM
No Jones??

Don't be too surprised, as Bmac clearly said Redpath would get a decent run at it.

We've also elevated Jones after a few good games, some excellent games for not much more than the same result each time.

BornInDroopSt'54
31-07-2014, 09:47 PM
No Jones??

Yeah of little faith. I think it's great that the club is putting it's judgement with Redpath because if he makes it, we'll have a mobile big man, who kicks straight, manning full forward.

Webby
31-07-2014, 10:03 PM
No Jones??.

I don't mind the logic. "Stay in the reserves and get some consistency."
It's a message he needs to hear.

Eastdog
31-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Good to see Campbell in. Where do you guys see him play? I reckon up as a tall in the forward line.

Cyberdoggie
01-08-2014, 12:39 AM
Maybe they wanted to see how Jones went against a tough VFL side like Bendigo.

But seriously if he doesn't kick 10 against them he isn't trying hard enough.

G-Mo77
01-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Little surprising. The Wood omission is the biggest one of them, Jones no game a shock, I thought Roberts may have been a show as well.

I gave up a while ago at the logic of the MC. I've resigned to the fact that I don't know what is happening behind closed doors and just go with it.

jeemak
01-08-2014, 01:58 AM
Little surprising. The Wood omission is the biggest one of them, Jones no game a shock, I thought Roberts may have been a show as well.

I gave up a while ago at the logic of the MC. I've resigned to the fact that I don't know what is happening behind closed doors and just go with it.

If you were to repeat history with Jones, what would you be told?

Go_Dogs
01-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Hard to guess what the final side will be, but hoping we get to see Campbell have a solid run to finish off the year.

ReLoad
01-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Given the ground condition (it has boats on it) and the weather forecast, its not going to be a game for a tall to make a statement.

G-Mo77
01-08-2014, 09:30 AM
If you were to repeat history with Jones, what would you be told?

Sorry, don't understand the question. Are you saying Jones is done?

KT31
01-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Given the ground condition (it has boats on it) and the weather forecast, its not going to be a game for a tall to make a statement.

In the wet conditions not sure why they went with Campbell rather than Jones, Wood would (not Edward) also shine in the conditions.

azabob
01-08-2014, 09:52 AM

I think Jeemak is refering to Enstien and insanity. We have dropped Jones previously and brought him back after two good games, the we get the same result.

Ozza
01-08-2014, 09:57 AM
With the wet conditions in Launceston - I wouldn't be that surprised if Campbell and Redpath were both left out.

Mantis
01-08-2014, 11:23 AM
With the wet conditions in Launceston - I wouldn't be that surprised if Campbell and Redpath were both left out.

So what happens if Minson goes down?

bornadog
01-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Cooney into the ruck. :D

LostDoggy
01-08-2014, 12:17 PM

I'd go with this. VFL form doesn't seem to be a criteria for promotion. I'd be happy with Redpath being demoted for Jones, especially if it's likely going to be a pond down in Tas. Dale and Jordan were out-manoeuvred but Essendon, with Austin not playing any part in being allowed to stop that dominance - for whatever reason - yet he's still in, and it'll be a similar type of forwardline, in fact more dynamic and talented, so where's Roberts?

Based on the outs I can see Goodes in for Wood.

Why am I even writing this, per what GMo has said?

jeemak
01-08-2014, 02:48 PM

I think Jeemak is refering to Enstien and insanity. We have dropped Jones previously and brought him back after two good games, the we get the same result.

Yep, azabob is correct.

My question was vague, however.

Ozza
01-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Then Roughead would ruck.

I'm not suggesting it - I'm just saying they're both (Redpath & Campbell) on the extended bench - they aren't guaranteed to play. Given the ground has been looking like a river this week, I'm not sure it does much good for Jones to come back in and probably struggle to get a kick.

Although I'm always in the camp that Jones should play - I'm not concerned about it this week. Hopefully he has a big big day against Bendigo and comes back into the side for the saints game where he'll be a handful against some inexperienced types.

The omission of Wood is surprising.

Happy Days
01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
This Redpath stuff is getting to Brennan Stack levels. Not everyone has to be good at football, it's okay!

There's following instructions and then there's being bad. The two can be mutually exclusive, doesn't mean they should be displayed for weeks on end regardless of reason.

And dropping Wood is stupid.

bornadog
01-08-2014, 06:08 PM
This Redpath stuff is getting to Brennan Stack levels. Not everyone has to be good at football, it's okay!

There's following instructions and then there's being bad. The two can be mutually exclusive, doesn't mean they should be displayed for weeks on end regardless of reason.

And dropping Wood is stupid.

No need to worry about Redpath, he has been dropped.

In: Higgins (you know that Fringe player that some talk about) Darley and Big Tom

Out: Wallis, Redapth and Wood.

Full back
J Johannisen
J Roughead
M Austin

Half back
R Murphy
D Morris
A Cooney

Centreline
K Stevens
M Boyd
J Macrae

Half forward
M Bontempelli
S Crameri
N Hrovat

Full forward
L Dahlhaus
J Stringer
L Hunter

Followers
W Minson
R Griffen
T Liberatore

Interchange
S Higgins
S Darley
L Picken

T Campbell

Emergencies
M Honeychurch
J Redpath
B Goodes

LostDoggy
01-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Tough to pick a sub - I hope it is not Higgins - maybe Stevens ?

chef
01-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Good to see TC back. Hopefully he gets plenty of time at FF.

KT31
01-08-2014, 07:04 PM

Thinking Darley

LostDoggy
01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Wont be stevens ... Darley or sweet jesus

Bulldog4life
01-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Wont be stevens ... Darley or sweet jesus

He is not playing Hughy.

LostDoggy
01-08-2014, 07:52 PM
good point

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Good to see TC back. Hopefully he gets plenty of time at FF.
Tom needs to share the ruck duties where he has been excelling in the VFL to be really effective. Campbell is also more than useful up forward alongside the leading Stringer who has emerged as our best option at FF.

Remi Moses
02-08-2014, 05:38 AM
Wood unlucky, but maybe there are some things he's not adhering to.
Good to see Big Tom get a call up, and with Higgins shows good VFL form warrants recall.

The Underdog
02-08-2014, 09:46 AM

To be fair, I think a player like Stevens whose strength is repeat running isn't the ideal choice as sub. More likely to be a Hunter, Hrovat, Darley (or Higgins) type. It will be an interesting selection.

Aside from the somewhat perplexing omission of Wood, I'm ok with the selections. I like Campbell for Redpath against the Hawks who are particularly strong in the ruck department. Minson will need some quality assistance. And Campbell should be able to cover what Redpath has provided forward so far. Good to see Darley get another shot, be nice if he got a couple of games in a row.

The Pie Man
02-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Happy for another tall to come in as the weather looks to be ok this w/e in Launceston.

Not having a pop at Macca, just speculating - Jones kicks 10 in two weeks for Footscray but can't get a game, and Macca mentioned Redpath would get an extended run (3 games it turned into, fair IMV) as others 'hadn't taken their opportunity'...has patience for Liam run out?

As G-Mo has said, it's too hard it get a read on selection - can only presume Wood needs to work on something specific but doesn't want to state publicly what that is yet (and to be fair, I thought he handled questions around a similar scenario with Higgins fairly well)

azabob
02-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Happy for another tall to come in as the weather looks to be ok this w/e in Launceston.

Not having a pop at Macca, just speculating - Jones kicks 10 in two weeks for Footscray but can't get a game, and Macca mentioned Redpath would get an extended run (3 games it turned into, fair IMV) as others 'hadn't taken their opportunity'...has patience for Liam run out?

As G-Mo has said, it's too hard it get a read on selection - can only presume Wood needs to work on something specific but doesn't want to state publicly what that is yet (and to be fair, I thought he handled questions around a similar scenario with Higgins fairly well)

Are you happy with Jones playing one or two good games out of half a dozen?

lemmon
02-08-2014, 12:16 PM

We won't know till post-season but I interpret leaving Jones out as a public and internal bollocking rather than having run out of patience. I think it's clear the MC are asking for consistency and he won't be played until he finds it. One feast to every five famines is a ridiculous strike rate for any player

bornadog
02-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Really not concerned about the selections. 5 games to go, no hope of finals, so further development for the team is all we are aiming for. Big Tom gets another go due to his consistent form, so lets hope he plays more than 10% of his time in the ruck.

The bigger concern is guys like Cordy haven't played a single senior game.

The Pie Man
02-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Are you happy with Jones playing one or two good games out of half a dozen?

No, I'm not.

Get the feeling that a trade for...Patton - for arguments sake - maybe the only thing to save his WB career. Seems he can't work hard enough to be a viable No.1 target. Hope we get the opportunity to see him contribute in a 2nd tall role at some stage for us, or it will feel like a tremendous waste.

NoName
02-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Word on the street is that Stringer did not fly to Tasmania with the team as he is currently on baby watch.

Drunken Bum
02-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Word on the street is that Stringer did not fly to Tasmania with the team as he is currently on baby watch.

He's allowed to miss so long as it's a boy :)

bornadog
02-08-2014, 06:52 PM

Who gets a shot?

Twodogs
02-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Good luck Jake and mrs Jake.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-08-2014, 07:02 PM

Shouldn't be a surprise.

F'scary
02-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Shouldn't be a surprise.

Shouldn't be a concern.

soupman
02-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Who gets a shot?

Apparently Brett Goodes was spotted training down there. Literally the last player on our list I want us to bother playing.

bornadog
02-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Apparently Brett Goodes was spotted training down there. Literally the last player on our list I want us to bother playing.

That would be ridiculous if he plays and Honeychurch doesn't.

F'scary
02-08-2014, 09:35 PM

Maybe it's his farewell game?

Twodogs
02-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Maybe it's his farewell game?

Is this the last year of his contract? I think he got a two year contract when he came off the Rookie List at the end of last year.

F'scary
03-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Is this the last year of his contract? I think he got a two year contract when he came off the Rookie List at the end of last year.

!!! What were they thinking?

Go_Dogs
03-08-2014, 02:31 PM
That would be ridiculous if he plays and Honeychurch doesn't.

His VFL form has been good and think he'll enjoy the conditions down there. I don't have an issue with it.

F'scary
03-08-2014, 03:13 PM
His VFL form has been good and think he'll enjoy the conditions down there. I don't have an issue with it.

Hope you don't have an issue as he racks up the turnovers...