PDA

View Full Version : How Best to Say Thanks and Appreciate Gia?

bulldogtragic
19-07-2014, 08:01 PM
I know some can't understand my issues of sub use are not aimed at Gia, but I've always been a fan. I honestly thought Gia would have been captain when Boyd was appointed, and I remain resolute against the garbage he copped for many years from so called 'supporters'. He's in a special class of people and players that not only embraced the fabric of our club, but has left our culture in a better shape for his years and has some great career stats to boot.

So how best do we celebrate and thank Gia, is it as simple as a full game in the last round or can we be more imaginative?

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Perhaps we can now leave him at Footscray. He would then qualify for VFL finals (I think) and be able to play a strong part in a real dip at a flag with the young guys.

whythelongface
19-07-2014, 09:30 PM
I know some can't understand my issues of sub use are not aimed at Gia, but I've always been a fan. I honestly thought Gia would have been captain when Boyd was appointed, and I remain resolute against the garbage he copped for many years from so called 'supporters'. He's in a special class of people and players that not only embraced the fabric of our club, but has left our culture in a better shape for his years and has some great career stats to boot.

So how best do we celebrate and thank Gia, is it as simple as a full game in the last round or can we be more imaginative?

As supporters it would be fitting for him to play the last game so that we can all celebrate his achievements with the club, however the problem is if the team is performing really well over the last month whom do you drop and is it in the club's best interests to drop a young developing player so that a champion of the club gets to play a farewell game. I would think that whilst Gia would love the opportunity, as an club man he would not wish to see someone dropped just so that he can get a farewell game.

If the opportunity doesn't arise for him to play a farewell game maybe a lap of honour at that game or make the last Footscray game (ie. last round) a 'Gia Day' to attract as many supporters as possible, that is if the game does not clash with our main game that day.

Just on another note will he be the only one retiring or is there a possibility that Boyd may hang up the boots as well - not sure what his contract status is etc. so he may be going around again.

Greystache
19-07-2014, 10:46 PM
I think we could show our appreciation by making him a coach at the club next season, oh wait. He'll be at the club next year, just in a different role, so it's not like it ends for him. I don't mind the idea of giving him a full game for our last Melbourne match as a sign off.

ledge
19-07-2014, 11:23 PM
As supporters it would be fitting for him to play the last game so that we can all celebrate his achievements with the club, however the problem is if the team is performing really well over the last month whom do you drop and is it in the club's best interests to drop a young developing player so that a champion of the club gets to play a farewell game. I would think that whilst Gia would love the opportunity, as an club man he would not wish to see someone dropped just so that he can get a farewell game.

If the opportunity doesn't arise for him to play a farewell game maybe a lap of honour at that game or make the last Footscray game (ie. last round) a 'Gia Day' to attract as many supporters as possible, that is if the game does not clash with our main game that day.

Just on another note will he be the only one retiring or is there a possibility that Boyd may hang up the boots as well - not sure what his contract status is etc. so he may be going around again.

Nope he won't be , Williams has already retired.

whythelongface
20-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Nope he won't be , Williams has already retired.

Ok you got me on a technicality :) apart from Williams and Gia will anyone else be retiring?

Scorlibo
20-07-2014, 01:52 AM
Whilst we're all on a high at the moment, I'm sure there'll be at least one or two more games between now and the end of the season that leave us disappointed. I can see Gia coming back into the side on merit alone.

bornadog
20-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Plays full the last game and lap of honour to say goodbye.

westdog54
20-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Agreed. Has to play the last game

westdog54
20-07-2014, 09:50 AM

Agreed. Has to play the last game.

chef
20-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Best way for me is to let him fight it out to the end, if he plays well enough to earn a recall then he earns a recall and if he then plays well enough to hold his spot then he holds his spot and plays out the season.

jeemak
20-07-2014, 01:02 PM
How about we stick to the plan we've stuck to all year with Gia? Whatever the specifics are I'm pretty sure most at the club would be pretty happy with that.

I know you don't like it BT, but a lot of us see merit in it and as Scorlibo points out there's a good chance he'll be well and truly deserving of a spot within the next couple of weeks anyway.

Bulldog4life
20-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Gia the super sub in our last game. Unless his form warrants selection earlier. A great servant of the Club and I am glad he is staying on next year with us in a coaching role and not going elsewhere. He has been a keen coaching aspirant for a number of years completing various coaching courses.

GVGjr
20-07-2014, 02:19 PM
He should be played on merit and won't be far away from selection considerations after the bye

That is the best way to farewell a player like Gia.

LostDoggy
20-07-2014, 03:22 PM
He should be played on merit and won't be far away from selection considerations after the bye

That is the best way to farewell a player like Gia.

Absolutely agree. If the kids keep playing well and Gia can't force his way back into the seniors, I'd love to see him come on as sub in the final match.

F'scary
20-07-2014, 05:42 PM
We don't want to Koschitzke him.

So, there should be a firm announcement prior that x will be his last match and appropriate ceremony made of it.

(otherwise the players might hire a dwarf on Mad Monday, call him the coach's name, and then set him on fire).

LostDoggy
25-07-2014, 06:44 PM
I don't think Gia playing one game over a young bloke is really going to effect any development. Give him a full game as a fairwell (as a player at least) and thank you, he shouldn't be sub even though he is bloody good at it. He is a great of the club and deserves a proper send off.

soupman
26-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I don't think Gia playing one game over a young bloke is really going to effect any development. Give him a full game as a fairwell (as a player at least) and thank you, he shouldn't be sub even though he is bloody good at it. He is a great of the club and deserves a proper send off.

I'd like to second this.

It'll cost someone one game, but it might be justifiable on form anyway and we have played worse players this season.

Gia deserves some recognition, we had masks for a player who played the last couple of years at our club (Barry Hall). Besides it might help with attendance in an otherwise meaningless match in the Sunday twilight fixture against GWS.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2014, 10:53 AM
My wife heard me talking about how much I love Gia and that I want a happy ending... Apparently Gia is an Angelina Jolie movie where she does full nudity.

My wife thought something different than this thread topic...

Maddog37
26-07-2014, 11:15 AM
To be honest I prefer players to only get a game if they deserve a game. I think that this is the very basis for building a strong team and any emotionally driven decision to celebrate an individual over the team is a mistake.

If he earns a recall then play him, if not then put him in a car and parade him around the ground.

The best way to celebrate Gia would be to win games and if he sets the example of team before individual right to the very last then he will leave a lasting legacy for our young pups to aspire to.

josie
26-07-2014, 11:27 AM
My wife heard me talking about how much I love Gia and that I want a happy ending... Apparently Gia is an Angelina Jolie movie where she does full nudity.

I liken Gia to Rob Lowe's character Sam on West Wing:- smart, well spoken, immaculately presented and good looking to boot. (Sigh.....).

Back to post. I think he needs to be in team on merit so it may be a boundary circuit farewell. However a part of me would love him to be super sub again.

AndrewP6
26-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Hear hear. A champion of the club deserves no less.

Twodogs
29-07-2014, 05:14 PM

It's available on YouTube.

JohnGentStand
01-08-2014, 09:40 PM
I'd like to see him get a farewell gig same match as the farewell Lenny game. Let's even up the heart-string factor :)

The Bulldogs Bite
02-08-2014, 07:01 PM
When was the last game Gia played at AFL or VFL level? Feels like it's been 5 or 6 weeks!

azabob
02-08-2014, 07:55 PM
When was the last game Gia played at AFL or VFL level? Feels like it's been 5 or 6 weeks!

He's played VFL the last few weeks. AFL would've been against port?

The Bulldogs Bite
02-08-2014, 08:33 PM
He's played VFL the last few weeks. AFL would've been against port?

Ah, I wasn't aware he's played VFL during this time. Saw a game a few weeks ago and he wasn't there (v Box Hill maybe?)