PDA

View Full Version : Crameri - Was recruiting him a mistake?

bornadog
21-07-2014, 03:45 AM
I have been less than impressed with his overall contribution this year. He has flashed in and out of a few games, but as an overall assessment I would only give him 5/10.

Have we wasted out money?

or do you see something I don't.

whythelongface
21-07-2014, 07:40 AM
No we have not wasted our money. He has come in this year and played numerous times as the main 'go to' man thus effectively playing above his size, similar to Morris but at the other end of the field. IIRC he has kicked two bags of four goals - these are good returns for a mobile forward and once we have the proper structure within the next couple of years he will be an important part of our forward line.

No doubt at times he has seemed a bit lethargic or disinterested but overall we will eventually be happy with him as a recruit. Just hope he doesn't have a lengthy suspension due to the Essendon saga.

GVGjr
21-07-2014, 07:47 AM
It was a good selection. No problems with it at all.

ratsmac
21-07-2014, 08:06 AM
No we have not wasted our money. He has come in this year and played numerous times as the main 'go to' man thus effectively playing above his size, similar to Morris but at the other end of the field. IIRC he has kicked two bags of four goals - these are good returns for a mobile forward and once we have the proper structure within the next couple of years he will be an important part of our forward line.

No doubt at times he has seemed a bit lethargic or disinterested but overall we will eventually be happy with him as a recruit. Just hope he doesn't have a lengthy suspension due to the Essendon saga.

^^this ^^ my thoughts exactly

chef
21-07-2014, 08:10 AM
It was a good selection. No problems with it at all.

Same here, 450k a year and at pick 26 he was a very good buy and has fit into our setup well.

Of course like all players he's going to have his good games and bad games.

Ozza
21-07-2014, 09:42 AM
No, not a mistake.

Is going to win our goal kicking. The 4th year in a row that he will win his club's goal kicking. And his output will continue to improve as the team does, and the likes of Stringer and Jones develop.

G-Mo77
21-07-2014, 09:45 AM
The 4th year is the only worry from me. Had it been 3 I would feel more comfortable but then he probably would have stayed with the scum if that is what we offered.

always right
21-07-2014, 10:22 AM
The club were at pains to emphasise that he would not be the answer. He's one piece of the puzzle and whilst I would have liked to have seen some more consistency, I'm comfortable with his first season with our team. Expecting more next year.

Mofra
21-07-2014, 10:26 AM
He does seem to do a lot of unrewarded running - his contribution to Bonti's first goal by dragging Hurley out of the hotzone is a prime example.

He will win our goalkicking and almost as importantly - he really, really pissed off essendon fans.
For pick 26 I'm calling that a win.

always right
21-07-2014, 10:31 AM
He does seem to do a lot of unrewarded running - his contribution to Bonti's first goal by dragging Hurley out of the hotzone is a prime example.

He will win our goalkicking and almost as importantly - he really, really pissed off essendon fans.

That's the point isn't it? What we are paying him is kind of irrelevant. The question that should be asked is......has he been worth pick 26? I wouldn't think anyone could mount an argument that it was a poor decision.

LostDoggy
21-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Never supposed to be the answer to the forward line in terms of a KPF and in my opinion he has been a good get. Once the forward line is structured better and has played together for a longer period of time I think he'll be even more damaging.

Sedat
21-07-2014, 10:49 AM

Agree with all the above.

Who inside the club proclaimed that he would be the panacea to our key forward problems? Only ignorant media fools and unrealistic supporters have ever suggested this. He gut-runs two ways more than anyone else does in our forward line, which automatically makes our forward line function much better than it has in previous seasons. He was average yesterday but we still kicked 14 goals from less than 50 entries, a lot of this due to Crameri's sacrificial running to draw Hurley away from the hot spot. For his age, his salary and the pick we sacrificed to get him, he has been and will be a very prudent acquisition.

Bulldog4life
21-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Crammers was a good get. I think he has kicked in the mid to high 20's in goals this year so far. I heard Jake Stringer after the game praising Crammers for helping him become more professional. A nice accolade.

Greystache
21-07-2014, 12:22 PM
He's 13 goals clear of second for the season. We've had no one else who can go anywhere near his ability to regularly hit the scoreboard.

He's been inconsistent, but nowhere near the level of players like Jones, Stringer, or Grant.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2014, 12:32 PM
He's 13 goals clear of second for the season. We've had no one else who can go anywhere near his ability to regularly hit the scoreboard.

He's been inconsistent, but nowhere near the level of players like Jones, Stringer, or Grant.

Yep, I think he needs a constructive bake to see how he would respond like Macrae did. But he is not a number 1 which is what he has effectively been all year. He has been impacted by Jones lack of form which has seen Jones demoted. I'm in two minds about the need for a KPD or KPF first, but a top line forward frees Jones to second, and Crameri to third and rotations of smalls and Grant if he gets back to anything like form. The sooner we can load up with forwards who are consistently playing well, the sooner Crameri can slaughter 3rd talls. Then when he's kicking 2-3 goals week in, week out, we can come back to this question.

lemmon
21-07-2014, 01:00 PM
He'll be an important player in a good side which is what we are building. At the moment he's battled pretty manfully but 3 years down the track when we should be competing for prelims is when we'll see the value of a very decent third tall.

boydogs
21-07-2014, 02:28 PM
He was interviewed about round 11 and said himself he wanted to improve on his consistency, unfortunately I don't think he has played a good game since then. Struggled even more once the ASADA charges came out. I think we're right to expect more than what he is delivering right now, but the first half of the year showed what he can do

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2014, 03:51 PM
He's been average since about the halfway point of the year, when all the ASADA talk was revamped.

He'll be important moving forward, especially if we can find another quality KPF. Then we'll see his true value.

F'scary
21-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Echoing a few other posts: no probs with pick 26 trade on what we have seen. In a more functioning forward line, he will be very dangerous. He has a point of difference too with the way he plays and his bulk and pace.

SonofScray
21-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Not a mistake at all. He has been able to hit the scoreboard and delivered on the promise of a hard running forward. Form has dipped in recent weeks but he has given us enough to not have anyone on his back about being a waste.

Go_Dogs
22-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Consensus on WOOF? That's a good sign!

Like others I'm satisfied with his performance this year and think he's going to be an increasingly important piece of our puzzle as we continue to build over the next few weeks.

Dancin' Douggy
22-07-2014, 10:54 AM
I have been disappointed in his output this year. His set shots have been terrible, and often in important times of the game. And often dead seat easy shots too. I also think he often releases the ball too soon when kicking for a goal in traffic. He releases it too soon, too high and too far away from his body. He then has to try to hack at it instead of getting a nice kicking action through the ball. If he just spent that half a second extra to balance himself and get a nice release a lot more would go through.

However....I believe Stewie will blossom when we get that big key forward slotted in. I think then all of a sudden our forward line will click.......dramatically. If player 'X' (let's for arguments sake call him Patton) fills the key forward post, and he is surrounded by a blend of.... J.Grant. J. Stringer. S. Crameri. L. Hunter. M. Bontempelli. L. Dalhaus. T. Dickson. Not to mention Jones and/or Redpath being at least serviceable. That is one hell of a forward line. And Stewie can run and run all day instead of having to hover too close to the goals and fly in packs for long bombs.

So....... I am expecting more from him, think he should work on his technique and composure, but in the long run I think we did the right thing by drafting him and his best is yet to come.

But I don't like his haircut......hate that soft, limp floppy bit at the front.

Ozza
22-07-2014, 12:20 PM
He's kicked 27.13 (67.5% efficiency). Sure he's missed a few set shots...but I wouldn't have thought it has been that notable an issue. He's on track to kick 35.17 for the season. Hopefully he can get a couple more bags of 4 (which he has done 3 times to date) and push towards 40 goals for the season.

Dancin' Douggy
22-07-2014, 01:45 PM
He's kicked 27.13 (67.5% efficiency). Sure he's missed a few set shots...but I wouldn't have thought it has been that notable an issue. He's on track to kick 35.17 for the season. Hopefully he can get a couple more bags of 4 (which he has done 3 times to date) and push towards 40 goals for the season.

Yeah but what about his haircut?

Ozza
22-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Yeah but what about his haircut?

I'll have to have a better look and get back to you!!

LostDoggy
22-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Agree with DD. Crameri is running the Teddy Boy look. Either get a 57 Chev or lose the do Stewart.

josie
22-07-2014, 08:00 PM
I think he has been worth it. Just wish the peptide saga was over with as no doubt it has affected him. I do not mind the haircut. Better than those awful tattoos that some players have.

Bulldog4life
22-07-2014, 09:13 PM
I think he has been worth it. Just wish the peptide saga was over with as no doubt it has affected him. I do not mind the haircut. Better than those awful tattoos that some players have.

Bald men would be jealous.:)

Murphy'sLore
23-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Do they get a hairdresser to come round to Whitten Oval and shear all the boys together? Have often noticed that when one player seems to have a fresh do, a number of the others also seem to have had a haircut. And they often seem to get the same cut, too…

stefoid
24-07-2014, 12:03 AM
The dons put their best defender on him for a reason - means Stringer and Bonts got lesser defenders and kicked 7 between them.

Remi Moses
24-07-2014, 06:46 AM
I'm happy with his output.
He's a second or third banana, and not the main man.

whythelongface
24-07-2014, 10:19 AM
The dons put their best defender on him for a reason - means Stringer and Bonts got lesser defenders and kicked 7 between them.

When you look at it we really do have some serious young talent up forward. If we can just nab a quality KPF or have Jones become more consistent then this will free up Crammers. We will potentialy have a very potent forward line.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2014, 11:04 PM
I can't recall if if was the weekend just gone or the week before. But the Essendon game was on in e background and the commentators were saying that Essendonould be the real deal and have the most dangerous forward line if they still had Crameri...

But they don't. :)

Webby
12-08-2014, 08:32 PM
I can't recall if if was the weekend just gone or the week before. But the Essendon game was on in e background and the commentators were saying that Essendonould be the real deal and have the most dangerous forward line if they still had Crameri...

But they don't. :)

You know what, that angle on its own justifies it for me - if it's true..!
Even if Crammers did his knee in round 1, the thought of stuffing the Bombers over makes my year! I really hope this court hearing rips them apart. The way it's shaping up, Hird is going to use his personality cult to tear the club down the middle.

Happy days.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2014, 08:18 PM
I think he gets a tick and the Maccas get one too.

chef
31-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Yep. Been a great buy for a second round pick, all he and Stringer need now is a big guy to come in and be the number 1. Would give us a very good forward line.

boydogs
31-08-2014, 08:41 PM
36 goals, wins his team's goalkicking for the 4th year running. He can still improve his consistency and decision making

Go_Dogs
31-08-2014, 08:43 PM
36 goals, wins his team's goalkicking for the 4th year running. He can still improve his consistency and decision making

Agreed. Can do some silly things and his hand balling is often poor but then in the next moment does somethin spectacular.

We've done well out of the trade.

lemmon
31-08-2014, 08:44 PM
A decent player in a poor team, will be very good in a good side. One for the next 5 years in my mind.

GVGjr
31-08-2014, 08:47 PM
He wasn't exactly what we needed but we knew that. He will be better next year

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Unless we can find/develop a genuine tall forward I'm not sure Crameri's true value to us will be fully realised.

GVGjr
31-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Unless we can find/develop a genuine tall forward I'm not sure Crameri's true value to us will be fully realised.

We need Jones to step up. Our chances of nabbing a key forward like what really need is slim.

EasternWest
31-08-2014, 09:04 PM
He wasn't exactly what we needed but we knew that. He will be better next year

Spot on. He's been good and he'll be better.

ReLoad
31-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Second round pick for 36 goals I'd call that a big win.

Greystache
31-08-2014, 09:06 PM

A career best.

boydogs
31-08-2014, 09:14 PM
A career best.

True, probably less competition though. Gia past his best & sub most weeks, Dickson injured half the year, Jones dropped for inconsistency, Stringer in defense & VFL for development.

FrediKanoute
31-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Without doubt Crameri has been worth it. As many have already said, he will be better if we manage to get another key tall forward, but 36 goals it a decent return in his first season.

GVGjr
31-08-2014, 09:28 PM
One criticism is the 50mtr penalties. He needs to be a lot smarter than that.

Twodogs
31-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Like others have said 36 goals is a pretty good return

always right
31-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Happy overall with his season......but he does make some of the dumbest decisions. Marks the ball in scoring positions but decides to turn up the degree of difficulty by playing on and having to grub the ball through from 40 metres......and he does it time and time again. Why?

LostDoggy
31-08-2014, 09:54 PM
The choice was right to recruit him - it looks like his confidence is shot. Needs a trouble free pre season, but I doubt he will get it. The Jimmy Hird and the Injectors side show looks like it has some legs in it yet.

jeemak
31-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Happy overall with his season......but he does make some of the dumbest decisions. Marks the ball in scoring positions but decides to turn up the degree of difficulty by playing on and having to grub the ball through from 40 metres......and he does it time and time again. Why?

Mate, he is so frustrating to watch.

The difference between the worst things he does (first touch, dropped chest marks, decision making lapses) versus the good things is often demonstrated quarter to quarter.

Overwhelmingly positive recruitment for mine, but I really hope he matures in the second half of his 20's and plays a bit smarter.

soupman
31-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Possibly the stupidest good footballer I've ever seen.

Throughout this season he always keeps you guessing because even when he does something good he is prone to immediately doing something idiotic and you just have to hope he gets away with it (see the mark in a good spot and play on to kick the goal on a worse angle along the ground as he was being chased).

I think he's been and will continue to be a good pickup. He certainly is unique.

josie
31-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Definitely worth it. As mentioned by others, if/when we have a good tall forward he & Stringer will be very dangerous 2nd & 3rd forwards.

Mofra
31-08-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm still happy - leads our goalkicking, and we're all wetting ourselves over Stringer forgetting that Crameri attracts the better defender every week - if it wasn't for Crammers, Stringer wouldn't be allowed to have so much impact

kruder
31-08-2014, 10:42 PM
NO. Been really solid this year. But recruiting Levi would be. Campbell clone if I have ever seen one. No thanks!

G-Mo77
31-08-2014, 10:46 PM
4th year was. I've always stood my ground on that.

Remi Moses
31-08-2014, 11:42 PM
Needs a chop out for me .
The difference between his best and worst is stark.
Off the leash ( crap pun) he'll become more dangerous.

Maddog37
01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
4th year was. I've always stood my ground on that.

He is improving every year so why is the fourth year a mistake Gmo?

KT31
01-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Defiantly will be worth every cent we paid for in my opinion, next season the Essendon scandal will be behind him, be more at home at the club and hopefully we will recruit so he scores the second string defender.
He has been our major goal kicker this season but what has impressed me most is his gut running and his direction to the kids around the ground.

ledge
01-09-2014, 11:42 AM
I see his problems as brain fades and not really consistent or someone you can rely on , but if we can get some of this out of his head he can be enormous for us.
As it is now he beats up on weak clubs but is a bit tentative against good clubs, he does have heaps of potential and as pointed out even with the flaws he has now he still was our leading goal kicker.
Stringer will take over that mantle next year though, another pre season under his belt will be amazing.

craigsahibee
01-09-2014, 11:50 AM
I said this time last year something along the lines of "I would be happy to pay Stewie $400k if it means J Grant can kick 40 goals". Whilst Grant was disappointing this year, my point is what others have mentioned in that Crameri presence in the side will free up others like Jake, Grant and Jones to an extent. Have we had a game this year where all four played in the fwd half. When it happens regularly, lookout.

bornadog
01-09-2014, 01:07 PM
I think overall he has been a good contributor, although sometimes gone missing. He has borne the brunt of having the oppositions best backman on him which is a little unfair. As Craigsahebee says, once we have others around like a big forward look out.

Bulldog4life
01-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Kicked 37 goals 17 behinds at 68.5 % accuracy. We would have been in even more trouble in the forward line if Stewy wasn't there. A good pick up.

SlimPickens
01-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Kicked 37 goals 17 behinds at 68.5 % accuracy. We would have been in even more trouble in the forward line if Stewy wasn't there. A good pick up.

That's how I see it. Stews output was as expected, the role that he and stringer performed later in the season was very good to see. Would have loved to see more of Jones at the level this year but he just couldn't take his chance when it presented.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-09-2014, 06:35 PM
37.17 is a fine effort.

Hopefully he can produce more against better sides next year, but again, he needs help so that he doesn't take the best defender.

F'scary
01-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Good effort for a HFF/FP who had to play CHF pretty much all year.