PDA

View Full Version : Memo to MC - Time to play Morris on someone his own size.

bornadog
21-07-2014, 04:14 AM
Morris is one of the best players I have seen for his size, but surely its time the MC played him on players his own size. Guys like Carlisle, Buddy, Schulz are just to big and strong for him. I have lost count under the current MC and the previous one where big guys have killed us. Let's fast track, Roberts and Talia and get some size going in the backline to help Morris and Roughead.

chef
21-07-2014, 08:35 AM
I guess the MC didn't expect Roughie to have such a mare yesterday.

jazzadogs
21-07-2014, 08:41 AM
I wonder what the plan was if Daniher hadn't been a late omission...do you think the plan all week had actually been for Roughy to play on Daniher and Morris on Carlisle? I would question the worth of Austin being in the team if he's not actually playing as a key defender...

Completely agree that if we want to get the best out of Dale and prolong his career then we need to find him more appropriate matchups

Mantis
21-07-2014, 11:42 AM
I wonder what the plan was if Daniher hadn't been a late omission...do you think the plan all week had actually been for Roughy to play on Daniher and Morris on Carlisle? I would question the worth of Austin being in the team if he's not actually playing as a key defender.

Completely agree that if we want to get the best out of Dale and prolong his career then we need to find him more appropriate matchups

Some good calls in here.

Austin had to be tried on Carlisle before Morris.. Dale was on a hiding to nothing with the size difference and it showed.

I too question Austin's role.. Look he did ok yesterday, but if he isn't our 2nd key defender and played as such then it's time to look elsewhere.

Bulldog4life
21-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Some good calls in here.

Austin had to be tried on Carlisle before Morris.. Dale was on a hiding to nothing with the size difference and it showed.

I too question Austin's role.. Look he did ok yesterday, but if he isn't our 2nd key defender and played as such then it's time to look elsewhere.

I thought he was on Goddard a lot of the time and did well.

Mantis
21-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I thought he was on Goddard a lot of the time and did well.

Yeah he did ok, but he (Austin) is 6'5" and needs to be used as a 'tall'.

Bulldog4life
21-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Yeah he did ok, but he (Austin) is 6'5" and needs to be used as a 'tall'.

I didn't know he was that tall.

Cyberdoggie
21-07-2014, 01:08 PM
I guess the problem is our talls in Roughead and Austin are as slow as treacle off the mark, and don't have much of a leap.
Morris is short but has been quicker and competitive in the air previously.

I also agree with previous posts, if Austin is going to be there then he has to be number 1 or 2 tall defender. Hell Carlisle kicked 8 goals 2!, put both of them on him or get someone in the hole in front because we gave him free passage to run and jump far too often.

Morris has earned the right to be number 3. What would we do next year if he had to retire early? Talia and Fletcher need games now while Morris is there for cover, otherwise they will be starting their learning much further down the track.

Happy Days
21-07-2014, 02:19 PM
My beef with Morris was not that he got beaten, but rather how he got beaten. He was mentally broken the second he got switched onto Carlisle, and looked to just grab him and hope he would get away with it. He made no attempt at legitimate defense, which from a guy who has been as stout and admirable in his football regardless of the opponent I found very poor.

Mantis
21-07-2014, 02:29 PM
My beef with Morris was not that he got beaten, but rather how he got beaten. He was mentally broken the second he got switched onto Carlisle, and looked to just grab him and hope he would get away with it. He made no attempt at legitimate defense, which from a guy who has been as stout and admirable in his football regardless of the opponent I found very poor.

Fair crack of the whip.. Morris was giving away 10cm (plus reach) & 10kg to Carlisle.. He had no choice than to try and grapple to try and gain some advantage in the contest.

It's embarrassing that we continue to throw Morris to the wolves.. sure he has been a warrior and played well against the odds previously, but as a developing team and in keeping with the theme of this thread it's time to blood others.

Ozza
21-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Agree with the sentiments that Austin should have had first crack (after Roughy) at Carlisle. As a one-on-one defender Austin goes well. I can understand that with a player dominating we turn to our best shut down defender to limit the damage - but at 200cms it was too much of a stretch for Dale.

It was disappointing that Roughy started so poorly and Carlisle was full of confidence (albeit coming into the game pretty 'up' - but two easy - preventable- goals early set the tone.

For the record - Austin was primarily on Ambrose and Wood was primarily on Goddard.

Mantis
21-07-2014, 03:27 PM
It was disappointing that Roughy started so poorly and Carlisle was full of confidence (albeit coming into the game pretty 'up' - but two easy - preventable- goals early set the tone.

WTF was going on for Carlisle's 1st goal.. Roughy was a good 10m in front of him and caught terribly out of position.. Hard to tell off the TV, but was there a valid reason why he was so far away from his opponent?

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2014, 04:00 PM
WTF was going on for Carlisle's 1st goal.. Roughy was a good 10m in front of him and caught terribly out of position.. Hard to tell off the TV, but was there a valid reason why he was so far away from his opponent?

No idea WTF Roughy was doing - ball watching, I suspect. He did this repeatedly yesterday. I mentioned in the game day thread that his positioning was laughable. Very disappointing game from him.

Agree with the theme. Simply need to blood Roberts and/or Talia.

Ozza
21-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I guess 'WTF' was my reaction at the ground at the time too! I saw Carlisle get at least 20m in the clear of Roughy out the back - and didn't understand how that had happened. Seemed to be just lack of awareness/concentration from Roughy as I didn't see him get blocked - but it actually happened again 5 minutes later when Roughy lost him again and I think it was Macrae who manned up Carlisle for 30 seconds or so until they could switch, and luckily the Essendon player with the ball went to a different option.

kruder
21-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Morris is one of the best players I have seen for his size, but surely its time the MC played him on players his own size. Guys like Carlisle, Buddy, Schulz are just to big and strong for him. I have lost count under the current MC and the previous one where big guys have killed us. Let's fast track, Roberts and Talia and get some size going in the backline to help Morris and Roughead.

Excellent point. Morris is one of my all time favourite bulldogs but yeah has just got to the stage that the tall players just seem a little too big for him in the twilight of his career.

Make no mistake Roughy was the perfect matchup for Jake. He just had one of his worst games as a defender. No doubt his shoulder is impacting his confidence and ability to go at the ball, I'm guessing they are waiting for the end of the season or when it pops again which ever comes first to send him back under the knife.

Roberts was BOG yesterday its time....

boydogs
21-07-2014, 11:32 PM

He was worried about the player with the ball running into space and taking a shot at goal. We were on his heels though, he should have stayed on Carlisle. Bad judgment

Bulldog4life
22-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Excellent point. Morris is one of my all time favourite bulldogs but yeah has just got to the stage that the tall players just seem a little too big for him in the twilight of his career.

Make no mistake Roughy was the perfect matchup for Jake. He just had one of his worst games as a defender. No doubt his shoulder is impacting his confidence and ability to go at the ball, I'm guessing they are waiting for the end of the season or when it pops again which ever comes first to send him back under the knife.
Roberts was BOG yesterday its time....

Yes thinking exactly the same. If that is the case though best to give someone else a go.

soupman
22-07-2014, 08:55 AM
I was dissapointed in Roughead, as I think despite his slow pace off the mark he has all the attributes required to play on these big bodied forwards like Carlisle and Cloke.

Rougheads positioning on Sunday was terrible, too often he gave himself no chance by starting in the wrong spot which I'm sure will be addressed this week as he is usually pretty good at it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-07-2014, 12:30 PM
I agree with your thoughts on Morris who has been a wonderful servant of the club for a long time. With the unfortunate season ending injury to Wallis it opens up the perfect opportunity to move Morris into the back pocket as Picken's replacement, which allows for Liam to become the replacement on ball tagger. This would also enable us to bring in both Roberts and Talia as extra tall supports for Roughead at the expense of Austin and the injured Wallis. It would provide the perfect opportunity IMO towards our building for the future.

bornadog
22-07-2014, 06:13 PM
I agree with your thoughts on Morris who has been a wonderful servant of the club for a long time. With the unfortunate season ending injury to Wallis it opens up the perfect opportunity to move Morris into the back pocket as Picken's replacement, which allows for Liam to become the replacement on ball tagger. This would also enable us to bring in both Roberts and Talia as extra tall supports for Roughead at the expense of Austin and the injured Wallis. It would provide the perfect opportunity IMO towards our building for the future.

Couldn't agree more with your thoughts.

Avoid the rush
25-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Spent the weekend watching an obviously injured Roughie then an ageing tired commited Morri both have their red white and blue colours (lowered along with their trousers) !!! Watched a hard trying turnover king of whom nothing is expected (and he generally delivers....nothing) in Austin.Then watched highlights of an always promising not quite delivering Key forward Liam Jones in the magoos! Can someone tell me why Jones could not be a Key defender of some note? Yes I remember him going back as a spare defender and looking clueless in the past, but give him an opponent and I reckon he would be able to keep up with, outmark or at least outpunch and outbody most Gorilla types. I am aware of tank size but who of these Gorillas has a big tank.Love to see us try!

always right
25-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Spent the weekend watching an obviously injured Roughie then an ageing tired commited Morri both have their red white and blue colours (lowered along with their trousers) !!! Watched a hard trying turnover king of whom nothing is expected (and he generally delivers....nothing) in Austin.Then watched highlights of an always promising not quite delivering Key forward Liam Jones in the magoos! Can someone tell me why Jones could not be a Key defender of some note? Yes I remember him going back as a spare defender and looking clueless in the past, but give him an opponent and I reckon he would be able to keep up with, outmark or at least outpunch and outbody most Gorilla types. I am aware of tank size but who of these Gorillas has a big tank.Love to see us try!

I've previously been totally against this as I simply couldn't see him handling the role. I now think there's some merit at this point of the season in exposing him to a key defensive position to see if he has anything to offer.

I'm really interested to see how he positions his body in a defensive capacity after continually being pushed under the ball when playing up forward. He certainly has the pace to go with opponents on the lead, his field kicking has improved significantly, and it would be interesting to see how his marking fares when there isn't someone continually spoiling from behind. Certainly no harm in trialing this in the run home.

Twodogs
28-07-2014, 12:02 AM
My only concern is Liam's habit of giving away unnecessary free kicks sometimes. If he does that in defence it wouldn't be so good.

Avoid the rush
28-07-2014, 02:30 PM
My only concern is Liam's habit of giving away unnecessary free kicks sometimes. If he does that in defence it wouldn't be so good.
Doesn't get caught with it. I can see him like a Rutten or a Glass type (when they were younger). Jones is still a youngster and has some elite ability, admittedly we don't see it all the time but just have a feeling if he had the spoil option he might not run under the ball like he does and might just be a missing link in our 22. At least give it a couple of games try!!!!!!

Mofra
28-07-2014, 02:40 PM
I've previously been totally against this as I simply couldn't see him handling the role. I now think there's some merit at this point of the season in exposing him to a key defensive position to see if he has anything to offer.
We did that against Adelaide for almost a half and there was a virtual riot online, with the anti-B-Mac crowd wanting him sacked.

Jones is terrible as a defender and it would take a while for him to develop the skills necessary.

Twodogs
28-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Doesn't get caught with it. I can see him like a Rutten or a Glass type (when they were younger). Jones is still a youngster and has some elite ability, admittedly we don't see it all the time but just have a feeling if he had the spoil option he might not run under the ball like he does and might just be a missing link in our 22. At least give it a couple of games try!!!!!!

The coach likes versatile players. You can see the improvement in Stringer since he had that prolonged stint in defence. I'd like to see how Liam would go down back. A different discipline would be good for his game.

I'd like to see it as a planned process though. Not just played at CHB for a half.

always right
28-07-2014, 10:26 PM
We did that against Adelaide for almost a half and there was a virtual riot online, with the anti-B-Mac crowd wanting him sacked.

Jones is terrible as a defender and it would take a while for him to develop the skills necessary.

I think we're in a different position now. We went through a horror patch earlier in the year when nothing we did seemed positive. In the last month or so we've finally had a glimpse of the future and it looks pretty good. We can't make finals so a move like Jones to the backline seems less desperate and more like a worthwhile experiment that might just produce results next season....whether he stays there or returns to the forwardline a better player.

Not sure how you can declare him a lost cause in defence based on a half of footy at a time when the team was playing so poorly.

bornadog
11-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Morris again battled hard but Riewoldt with 6 marks really was too strong once again for Morris.

Roberts and Talia must step up in 2015.

Sedat
11-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Morris again battled hard but Riewoldt with 6 marks really was too strong once again for Morris.
Morris beat Riewoldt today quite comfortably

bulldogtragic
11-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Morris beat Riewoldt today quite comfortably
I thought so too. Take the BS 'frees' out and even more so.

Remi Moses
11-08-2014, 02:36 AM

Thought Dale played well.

always right
11-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Actually thought the whole backline combined well against Riewoldt, with Morris and Austin working well to outbody him on multiple occasions and even Murph using his athleticism on a couple of occasions to upset Riewoldt in the contest. Fortunately for us Stanley returned to his forgettable ways yesterday which allowed us to concentrate our efforts on Riewoldt.

G-Mo77
11-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Their other big, Bruce wasn't it? Went off with an injury. He was doing OK before he went off. It allowed Roughy to roam around a bit and chop off a few until they moved Gwilt down there. Our defence is really poor right now. Petrie will be salivating to play us.

LostDoggy
11-08-2014, 10:20 AM

If you were to say pre game Riewoldt would take 6 marks for the match you would most certaintly take that.

bornadog
11-08-2014, 10:23 AM
If you were to say pre game Riewoldt would take 6 marks for the match you would most certaintly take that.

Lets face it, I feel sorry for Morris playing on guys that are bigger and stronger than him. Its almost unfair to the guy.

We have to get some decent tall defenders to take on these roles and allow Morris to play on his own size.

Three games left, nothing to lose, bring in Roberts and Talia and give them some experience at this level.

Ozza
11-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Absolutely. And of those 6 - one was uncontested in the back pocket. And two were on long leads up on centre wing.

Morris had a good game, and I think can chalk this one up as a win in the long standing battle of the two players. He's only 2cms shorter than Riewoldt and a pretty good match up.

Maddog37
11-08-2014, 10:28 AM
I thought Morris ran off his man quite a bit today. It's good to see someone of his age adding things to his game.

I cannot think of a more pathetic, sooking, umpires pet in all my time watching footy than the German diver. In my James Bond film he is the villain.

Mantis
11-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Good job by Dale, but he does have a very good record on the smaller KPF's (Riewoldt, Pav, Fev, etc.)

He struggles on the big guys so it will be interesting to see how he is used this week.. Ideally he goes to Thomas, but it may have to be Black.. Hopefully it isn't Brown or Petrie.

always right
11-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Good job by Dale, but he does have a very good record on the smaller KPF's (Riewoldt, Pav, Fev, etc.)

He struggles on the big guys so it will be interesting to see how he is used this week.. Ideally he goes to Thomas, but it may have to be Black.. Hopefully it isn't Brown or Petrie.

Surely Thomas gets Picken after the job Liam did on him last time.

Mantis
11-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Surely Thomas gets Picken after the job Liam did on him last time.

You are possibly correct.. I had in my mind that Picken goes to Harvey.

bornadog
16-02-2015, 06:18 PM

Good to see Bevo agreeing on this.