PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Hughes - Unlucky?

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I see that Hughes is being kept as a rookie. Is this a surprise move given that so many thought he was a strong chance of being promoted?

The Underdog
31-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I see that Hughes is being kept as a rookie. Is this a surprise move given that so many thought he was a strong chance of being promoted?

Not overly surprising. I think all reports were that he has potential but still has areas he needs to work on. I fully expected Harbrow to be elevated and Hughes to be re-rookied. I gives him the opportunity to do a proper pre-season and the incentive that he may get an opportunity next year.

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't think he did anything spectacular to warrant a promotion, definitely nothing like Harbrow has shown. It's not like he got delisted, he's still got more than enough of a chance, if he's good enough, he'll make it.

Bulldog Revolution
01-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I don't think he did anything spectacular to warrant a promotion, definitely nothing like Harbrow has shown. It's not like he got delisted, he's still got more than enough of a chance, if he's good enough, he'll make it.

Agreed - its a vote of confidence in him to keep him. It means Eade and Co think he could do it, but really the ball is in his court. Hopefully the new Willy set up will see him address his weaknesses. Cant imagine Gotch selecting a guy who is lightning quick but doesn't chase or tackle.

Go_Dogs
01-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Being a rookie these days, although not as financially rewarding, still offers a good opportunity to play AFL. Just stay at the top of the pecking order, you can almost be assured there will be one long term injury a year. Hughes was apparently close to selection late in the season, and obviously has some positive assets that the club likes. He still needs some work though, and the staff probably weren't 100% he was ready to make a big impact at AFL level, but still think he could - so a rookie spot is the best option.

I was hoping they could leave the actual decision a bit later, and see how he presented over summer and then make a final call. I guess with draft day looming though, the list date had to be soon. (yesterday?).

Templeton31
01-11-2007, 12:18 PM
has harbrow officially been elevated?

The Underdog
01-11-2007, 12:55 PM
has harbrow officially been elevated?

Yes, yesterday in the list lodgement

Palace03
01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Not really a surprise that HArbrow has been elevated, well deserved. I though Hughes was a chance, but Eade must believe he still has some work to do. Am glad he has been retained as a rookie, hopefully he busts his ass for the next 12 months and gets on the list for 09.

LostDoggy
01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah im not surprised. He hasnt done much to warrant a selection from what i can gather apart from reasonable form in the Bee's. Also it sounds as though he needs to work on a few areas of his game, particularly his defensive side of his game and his disposal by foot.

Mofra
02-11-2007, 11:02 PM
I thought he played really well in a couple of games, however his disposal under is not yet AFL standard, and like some have mentioned he needs to step up his defensive pressure as well. Certainly enough raw product there to warrant another rookie year.

Not sure, but was Boyd rookied for 1 or 2 years?

GVGjr
04-11-2007, 07:57 AM
I think he is lucky to still be on the list but I can see the reasons why. If he has a more injury free run at it this year we might see the best of him.

Dry Rot
05-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Presume this season is his last chance?

GVGjr
05-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Presume this season is his last chance?

You would think so but that can be a great spur for him as well.