PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Morris signs on for another season

Hotdog60
31-07-2014, 10:03 AM
WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris will extend his career into an 11th season after inking a one-year contract extension.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2014%20-%20Galleries/Round%2017%20-%20Gold%20Coast/337850-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

The 31-year-old key defender was due to become an unrestricted free agent at season's end, but is now set to become a 200-game player at the Bulldogs next year.

Morris, who battled back from a horrific broken leg in 2012, has played 15 games this season, taking his career tally to 188.

Earlier this month, his manager Scott Lucas told AFL.com.au that the 190cm backman believes he could play on beyond next year.

After signing the one-year extension, Morris is believed to be excited by the prospect of leading the Bulldogs back to finals.

The 2008 All Australian was recruited from Werribee in the 2005 rookie draft.

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-31/bulldog-stays-in-the-kennel)

bornadog
31-07-2014, 10:19 AM
great Defender, great bloke and great clubman - deserves another year.

Mofra
31-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Hopefully means he gets to 200 games - very hard to think of players who deserve the milestone more than Dale

KT31
31-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Great news, our football department seems to have a good grip on things at the moment.

Sedat
31-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Whilst Morris was poor last game he has been as consistent a player as we've ever had. I see no reason why both Morris and Bob can't continue to roll over 1 year deals for the next 2-3 years whilst their form is still at or near its peak - that gives me great comfort knowing these two wise heads are patrolling our defensive 50.

1eyedog
31-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Whilst Morris was poor last game he has been as consistent a player as we've ever had. I see no reason why both Morris and Bob can't continue to roll over 1 year deals for the next 2-3 years whilst their form is still at or near its peak - that gives me great comfort knowing these two wise heads are patrolling our defensive 50.

Yep hopefully we can send them off through a finals campaign too.

lemmon
31-07-2014, 02:37 PM
My favourite player of all time, will be a pleasure to watch for another year.

always right
31-07-2014, 03:16 PM
A great player and has there been a nicer bloke play for our club?

Maddog37
31-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Great news. It's a joy to watch him play.

Throughandthrough
31-07-2014, 04:29 PM
good

Remi Moses
31-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Bit of a worry that we might have Boyd, Murphy and Morris retire at once?
Lot of games going out at once.
Maybe murph might go another two?

jeemak
31-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Great news. Such a wonderful player and seemingly a wonderful guy.

Rem, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least Morris and Murphy go on again after next season if their bodies hold up. To answer your question though, I'm not too worried as I think our list will be up to it at the end of next year.

soupman
31-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Bit of a worry that we might have Boyd, Murphy and Morris retire at once?
Lot of games going out at once.
Maybe murph might go another two?

I'm not worried about Boyd. I think by the end of next season our midfield will be ready to push him out anyway. Liberatore, Wallis, Hrovat, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Hunter and Bontempelli should be pretty accomplished by then.

Our backline is very weak still though, so the other two are a concern. We really need to find a replacement for each of them by the end of next season. JJ looked very capable of the Murphy role last year, so hopefully he can find that form again. Morris though will hurt unless one of our talls comes on massively.

Go_Dogs
01-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Good news, always a pleasure seeing Moz do his thing in the back half and a great guy to have around with his experience having played on a large number/variety of forwards doing the rounds.

whythelongface
01-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Sensational news. He really is an outstanding individual who obviously has a huge amount of respect for the club, which is highlighted in these words:

"A lot of people don't realise what the club has done for me," Morris said on Thursday.

"They've been enormous for me, my family and my life, so to play another year I'm absolutely thrilled."

"I'm excited with what the future holds and hopefully I'm around long enough to see the fruits of [the club's] labour. They're really doing great things on and off the field."

always right
01-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Sensational news. He really is an outstanding individual who obviously has a huge amount of respect for the club, which is highlighted in these words:

"A lot of people don't realise what the club has done for me," Morris said on Thursday.

"They've been enormous for me, my family and my life, so to play another year I'm absolutely thrilled."

"I'm excited with what the future holds and hopefully I'm around long enough to see the fruits of [the club's] labour. They're really doing great things on and off the field."

I love blokes who don't think they are owed by the club.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2014, 03:11 PM
It is great that Dale is going around again. We are lucky to have 3 fantastic role models in Boydy, Muph & Dale continue to play good footy with us.

Murphy'sLore
01-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Very happy with this news. Big fan of Dale, especially, and delighted that he will be with us for another year.

Re: replacing Murphy -- I'm not sure that he is replaceable.