PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 19 Edition

Eastdog
31-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Once the Round 19 match against Hawthorn is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2014, 06:20 PM
T-h-r-e-e

ReLoad
03-08-2014, 07:12 PM
1. Its time to bow out gracefully Coons.
2. Tom Williams is a bloody legend, that little segent was the highlight of my day
3. Griffen is our best player by a mile.

F'scary
03-08-2014, 07:27 PM
1. We might be stuck with Higgins after today's little effort.
2. Cooney: the club obviously forgot to advertise that it was his farewell game.
3. I hope Wood did something really, really bad because otherwise the decision to drop him was daft.

Mofra
03-08-2014, 08:59 PM
1. We badly need another proper rebounding defender
2. The core of our team really needs another pre-season
3. Roughy, as much as I admire him, worries me as a long term defender.

comrade
03-08-2014, 09:25 PM
1. We badly need another proper rebounding defender
2. The core of our team really needs another pre-season
3. Roughy, as much as I admire him, worries me as a long term defender.

Just spit balling but is it worth trialling Jarrad Grant as a rebounding HB flanker?

He needs to do something to ignite his career. He's lightning quick and may actually benefit playing behind the ball, rather than making the play as a forward.

Plus, he's got the same alien like body shape of one R. Murphy.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Just spit balling but is it worth trialling Jarrad Grant as a rebounding HB flanker?

He needs to do something to ignite his career. He's lightning quick and may actually benefit playing behind the ball, rather than making the play as a forward.

Yep. Not to take anything away, I mentioned this last year as a left field suggestion and was told no overwhelming on here. But I still think the closest replacement to Bob (body, skills, tricks, swing man etc) on our list is Jarrad Grant. If his field kicking is 'good' and goal kicking 'bad', then why not play to his strengths?

GVGjr
03-08-2014, 09:35 PM

I don't mind the suggestion but his field kicking is the concern. His best today was the freaky snaps for goals. He also strggles for the fitness level of a defender. Struggled to quickly get off the ground to the IC bench today. Forwards might be able to get away with it but not defenders.

Greystache
03-08-2014, 11:02 PM

The concern would be how much his opponents could exploit his lack of fitness. He finishes almost last in nearly every running drill, and after so many years in the system it's not going to improve. As GVG said, his field kicking is also not a strength.

We really do need some better rebounding defenders however.

Sedat
04-08-2014, 02:26 AM
We also need '3rd man in' defenders - we concede far too many one-on-ones deep in defence. Morris and Shaggy used to be terrific at this, but Morris is just battling to nullify his direct opponent these days.

lemmon
04-08-2014, 02:51 AM
We also need '3rd man in' defenders - we concede far too many one-on-ones deep in defence. Morris and Shaggy used to be terrific at this, but Morris is just battling to nullify his direct opponent these days.

Haven't caught the Hawks game yet but it's something I've noticed particularly when we try to throw a loose man back. Our loose has been virtually invisible for the most, Stringer and Bonti have had cracks at it but struggled. It's something I'd love to see Young develop into his game, has the size for it and sees the play up the ground well with ball in hand, the questions are obviously with his ball reading and overhead marking

Go_Dogs
04-08-2014, 08:15 AM
1. If Griff can get his body right, he'll be back big time next year.

2. Campbell must play out the year, he remains a point of difference up forwards and will benefit from more games.

3. Our forward press is becoming very good, now we just need to nail the return for effort part.

The Underdog
04-08-2014, 09:05 AM
1. Our ability to win the ball in close and hold possession until we can release an opponent has become very good. Against a top notch pressure team we managed to look really solid for periods and move the ball really well.
2. We still can't defend the spread from the contest of good teams. Hawthorn had loose players forward of the ball EVERYWHERE yesterday.
3. We need to get bigger and stronger. I know the young guys are on their way but Hawthorn easily broke too many tackles yesterday.
I look at the Suns and wonder how they've managed to really fast track putting muscle on some of their young kids.

whythelongface
04-08-2014, 10:08 AM
1. Whilst the end margin was a shellacking I thought that it was a much closer game then the scoreline suggested. Our team needs to nail the limited opportunities that are presented by teams such as Hawthorn. Once you miss those opportunties you will ultimately be punished on the scoreboard;

2. Campbell makes a difference when he plays well and contests the ball. If we add a couple more forwards such as a Jones or Grant then we really can have a functioning forward line;

3. Murphy is gold. Love the way he runs and creates opportunities.

Sedat
04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I look at the Suns and wonder how they've managed to really fast track putting muscle on some of their young kids.Danked if I know

Cyberdoggie
04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
The concern would be how much his opponents could exploit his lack of fitness. He finishes almost last in nearly every running drill, and after so many years in the system it's not going to improve. As GVG said, his field kicking is also not a strength.

We really do need some better rebounding defenders however.

An interesting idea but I think also his body work is woeful. Bob may be lean but he's excellent in using his body one on one and his balance is second to none. Neville Jetta can out body Grant so I think he would struggle.

There's also the problem with his attitude. I think he would spit the dummy.

Would be an interesting learning experience for him though.

Cyberdoggie
04-08-2014, 12:09 PM
1. Teams that can break fast on the rebound through the middle carve us up.
Our tall defenders lose their men very easily and are too slow to run back and man up.
Freo, Hawthorn, Geelong, Port all showed up our weakness in this area.
It was hard to tell on the TV but Austin was out 2-1 a few times and was screaming at someone.

Still got some work to do down back.

2. When trying to hang in on contests against better placed opposition we tend to miss crucial goals.
Stringer, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Campbell and others all fluffed goals that really could of rewarded some good play and after a while it just took it's toll and the game was gone.

3. I think we have seen on numerous occasions that when you our off your feet for more than a 2 week injury you lose your touch and fitness. There are players that deserve a game and are fit that would contribute more than Cooney has the last 2 weeks. I'm sure they will play him again next week and he'll be slightly better and maybe by the last game he will be ok, but surely it wouldn't hurt to give him a good full game in the reserves where he can get lots of the ball, then come back with confidence.

bornadog
04-08-2014, 02:51 PM
There's also the problem with his attitude. I think he would spit the dummy.

How did you come up with that conclusion?

westdog54
04-08-2014, 09:30 PM
1. If JJs foot skills matched his willingness to attack he could be elite.
2. Hawthorn are a better team without Buddy.
3. Campbell should play out the year.

w3design
08-08-2014, 03:43 PM
1 Our backline has bigger issues than forward line.

2 We miss Wallis' work

3 Couldn't help wondering what would be like had we persisted with Campbell early in the season.

Bulldog Joe
08-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Notice a lot happy with Campbell's game and did clunk a couple and kicked goals.

His big drawback is that he is chronically slow.

Mantis
08-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Notice a lot happy with Campbell's game and did clunk a couple and kicked goals.

Yeah, you really have to kick to on his head for him to be a factor in a pack situation. He can take a mark out in front, but it isn't a strong point of his game at the top level.

Going to be interesting to see how we develop him because I don't see him as a long term option up forward.

Greystache
08-08-2014, 06:31 PM

He's actually one of the quicker players in the list. Quicker than Williams for example who most people wanted in the team every week because of his athleticism.

Bulldog Joe
08-08-2014, 07:38 PM
He's actually one of the quicker players in the list. Quicker than Williams for example who most people wanted in the team every week because of his athleticism.

Where do you get that ?

He was easily outrun on more than one occasion last week. Slow off the mark and did not gather pace. Minson looks to cover the ground better.

Greystache
08-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Where do you get that ?

He was easily outrun on more than one occasion last week. Slow off the mark and did not gather pace. Minson looks to cover the ground better.

Preseason testing. He's quicker off the mark than most of the big guys (excluding Jones who's quicker than everyone but Jong) and leaves Minson for dead. He's quicker than Williams, Talia, Roberts, and Young for example.

bornadog
09-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Preseason testing. He's quicker off the mark than most of the big guys (excluding Jones who's quicker than everyone but Jong) and leaves Minson for dead. He's quicker than Williams, Talia, Roberts, and Young for example.

Over what distance?

Greystache
09-08-2014, 01:40 AM
Over what distance?

They only test over 20m. It's the only distance that's relevant for speed in football.

bornadog
09-08-2014, 10:10 AM
They only test over 20m. It's the only distance that's relevant for speed in football.

so beep test?

SlimPickens
09-08-2014, 11:14 AM
so beep test?

No just a 20m sprint. Beep test, tests endurance.

bornadog
09-08-2014, 11:22 AM
No just a 20m sprint. Beep test, tests endurance.

Ok, thanks.

The thing with big guys is when the ball hits the ground and what they are able to do next.

Bulldog Joe
09-08-2014, 02:14 PM

This may be correct, but he certainly hasn't displayed it in a game that I have seen and was easily outpaced everytime against Hawthorn.

Scorlibo
09-08-2014, 02:36 PM
There's straight line speed and then there's functional speed. I'm all for giving Campbell more games this year but it's pretty clear that his weakness is his mobility.

SlimPickens
09-08-2014, 03:26 PM
There's straight line speed and then there's functional speed. I'm all for giving Campbell more games this year but it's pretty clear that his weakness is his mobility.

The guy is likely to be our number ruckman for the next decade so pace isn't of concern. The big positive about Campbell is he can do what Minson can't (pack mark the ball) which makes him a viable option as a forward.

Happy Days
09-08-2014, 09:05 PM
This may be correct, but he certainly hasn't displayed it in a game that I have seen and was easily outpaced everytime against Hawthorn.

Ruckmen always do well in this test because it takes them way less steps and 20m really isn't that far. Peter Street won sprint test in his time at the club.