PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 20 vs St. Kilda

Eastdog
31-07-2014, 04:50 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 20 game against St. Kilda at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2014, 06:20 PM
I hope we smash the bejesus out of St Kilda

Sedat
03-08-2014, 07:07 PM
I hope we smash the bejesus out of St Kilda
It's Lenny week, and they love their Lenny. Reckon it will be closer than we'd like.

bornadog
03-08-2014, 07:21 PM
I would like to see Jones, Grant, Gia, Roberts and Wood in this week.

Out: Cooney, Bonti (rest), Hunter, Darley, Hrovat

Young guys looked tired today and will not be running out the season.

chef
03-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Whats happened to Tom Young?

comrade
03-08-2014, 07:29 PM
I think Bonti could do with a freshen up but Darley needs more game time, not less.

In: Jones, Roberts, Wood

Out: Bonti (rested), Austin, Cooney

If they want to play Gia, Higgins goes back.

bornadog
03-08-2014, 07:34 PM
I think Bonti could do with a freshen up but Darley needs more game time, not less.

In: Jones, Roberts, Wood

Out: Bonti (rested), Austin, Cooney

If they want to play Gia, Higgins goes back.

Darley was poor today, but perhaps should get a few games in a row.

F'scary
03-08-2014, 07:55 PM

I like what you wrote but one more word needs to be added:

Out: Cooney (retired), Bonti (rest), Hunter, Darley, Hrovat

F'scary
03-08-2014, 07:56 PM
I like what you wrote but one more word needs to be added:

And you forgot Higgins.

Out: Higgins (traded).

always right
03-08-2014, 08:02 PM

Why does Grant deserve a game?

F'scary
03-08-2014, 08:13 PM

The Carlton loss.

LostDoggy
03-08-2014, 08:20 PM
We should really persist with Darley, he looks a bit soft but has a really nice boot and some dash as well, we need that run off half back moving forward. I think he needs to play out the season.

GVGjr
03-08-2014, 08:20 PM

Good player today, set up a lot of drive and kept the ball moving forward. I think this is exactly what he was asked to do.
Must be in line for a recall.

F'scary
03-08-2014, 08:22 PM
In: Wood, Giansiricusa, Jones, Roberts. Gia as sub. Stevens to start.

Out: Cooney, Higgins, Darley, Austin.

I read with interest the thoughts about a few of the younger ones needing a rest but I think they need to push through some barriers.

Go_Dogs
03-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Out: Cooney, Hrovat

In: Jones, Young

Can't see too many changes and would be surprised if Wood came straight back, not something we've done this year.

Other change I'd consider is finding a way to bring Roberts in, but for balance we probably can't do it. I think we persist with Austin, he hasn't been our worst performer.

Remi Moses
03-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Concede I haven't seen the game, but there has to be a key post decision with Talia or Roberts in for Austin or Roughy( even both)

GVGjr
03-08-2014, 09:31 PM
We need more run and drive from the back line so

In Young, Jones and Giansiracusa
Out Austin (didn't do a lot wrong) Cooney (struggling) Bontempelli (just a hunch that he needs a week to freshen up)

Young plays very direct which I think we need from our defenders.
Talia, Grant and Honeychurch played well today and should be considered.

Hotdog60
03-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Just watched the presser and it seems that Campbell will be safe for another week and Cooney may also be safe. I expect minor changes for the next round.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Just watched the presser and it seems that Campbell will be safe for another week and Cooney may also be safe. I expect minor changes for the next round.

Little point continuing with Cooney and Higgins IMO who were both poor today. Also would prefer Gia to be given a farewell game at season's end.
In. Jones Roberts and Young
Out. Cooney Higgins and Darley

Greystache
03-08-2014, 10:55 PM
In- Wood, Cordy, Honeychurch

Out- Cooney, Higgins, Minson

Cooney looks like he doesn't want to play and shouldn't be. Higgins got a call up and was terrible, need to be doing a lot more both ways when you're a fringe player, back to the VFL. Campbell looks a good long term player but needs support from a flexible player, Minson isn't that, Cordy is at make our break point and has some form.

always right
03-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Little point continuing with Cooney and Higgins IMO who were both poor today. Also would prefer Gia to be given a farewell game at season's end.
In. Jones Roberts and Young
Out. Cooney Higgins and Darley
Admittedly he was quiet today but do you really think there is much point in us continuing to drop Darley after one match?

For me.....in Honeychurch
Out Cooney

The Bulldogs Bite
04-08-2014, 01:28 AM
In- Wood, Cordy, Honeychurch

Out- Cooney, Higgins, Minson

Cooney looks like he doesn't want to play and shouldn't be. Higgins got a call up and was terrible, need to be doing a lot more both ways when you're a fringe player, back to the VFL. Campbell looks a good long term player but needs support from a flexible player, Minson isn't that, Cordy is at make our break point and has some form.

I missed the game, but moving forward this week it would be nice to see Campbell/Cordy v the Saints' young rucks. A good test.

Go_Dogs
04-08-2014, 08:58 AM
I missed the game, but moving forward this week it would be nice to see Campbell/Cordy v the Saints' young rucks. A good test.

It's an interesting one, not one I'd considered but it does have some merit.

soupman
04-08-2014, 10:26 AM
We should really persist with Darley, he looks a bit soft but has a really nice boot and some dash as well, we need that run off half back moving forward. I think he needs to play out the season.

Agree.

He uses the ball nicely, but struggles to get enough of it to have an impact thus far. Coming into the side for 1 game at a time can't help, so I'd like him to be given an extended run, like various other players have been, and I'd like us to focus on feeding the ball to him as an outlet out of defence like Hawthorn did with Suckling (who is rather soft btw).

Mofra
04-08-2014, 10:29 AM
I agree - there were a few signs and he seemed to play a little tighter 1 on 1 than I'd seen previously.

Hrovat had a down day but does he have the credits in the bank?

Not sure why some people want Austin dropped - I thought he was ok yesterday. I guess no matter how he plays people will want him dropped.

Mantis
04-08-2014, 10:45 AM
How many credits does Roughead have in the bank? He is getting beaten badly every week and while we all think he is playing under duress for how long can we continue to carry a non-contributor?

soupman
04-08-2014, 10:51 AM
How many credits does Roughead have in the bank? He is getting beaten badly every week and while we all think he is playing under duress for how long can we continue to carry a non-contributor?

I agree but it isn't as if the alternatives are banging the door down and despite his poor form Roughead is pretty much the only defender (along with Wood) to have shown enough for us to be confident to say that he will still be on the list in 3 years time.

always right
04-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Roughead actually took some nice marks yesterday but his defensive game appears to have deteriorated. I'm not overly concerned for the long term as he has shown he has the capacity......but he's sadly out of form at the moment.

On the plus side, it's been helpful in focusing our attention on where our drafting needs really lie. Forget about us crying out for a key forward....fix the back half first.

Rocco Jones
04-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Think a few here are being very harsh on Austin. I think he was comfortably better than Roughy yesterday and has been so for a few weeks now.

Would like Wood or Young in to help out in defense, with Higgins either being a bit of a swing man or dropped.

lemmon
04-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Time for a spell. He doesn't have the running ability to go with Riewoldt or Stanley anyway so I don't see a match up for him, especially in the form he's currently in. I argued for him to go forward but with Campbell in the side and deserving a decent run I don't see a spot for him.

Sedat
04-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Think a few here are being very harsh on Austin. I think he was comfortably better than Roughy yesterday and has been so for a few weeks now.
Could not agree more Rocco. I'd go further and say he's also been better than Morris in the last few weeks. For mine he should be a monty to be elevated in 2015.

bornadog
04-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Could not agree more Rocco. I'd go further and say he's also been better than Morris in the last few weeks. For mine he should be a monty to be elevated in 2015.

Agree also, Austin has been ok and I would elevate him as well. I had my doubts but now with some size and mauturity he is worth holding on to.

Morris is a great defender except when he has the ball in his hands. If he can handpass quickly he is alright, but his decision making and disposal are not great.

always right
04-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Agree also, Austin has been ok and I would elevate him as well. I had my doubts but now with some size and mauturity he is worth holding on to.

Morris is a great defender except when he has the ball in his hands. If he can handpass quickly he is alright, but his decision making and disposal are not great.

His disposal is fine if he plays within his limitations...which he generally does. A bit like Talia in that respect. The problem is we don't get any attack or penetration from these blokes but I guess that's better than seeing them turn it over all the time.

G-Mo77
04-08-2014, 04:59 PM

He's probably a guy we should shut down for the remainder of the season. Of course that's up to him as well. I know he plays with a ton of heart and would hate to sit out. He needs help! I haven't watched yesterday's game but in previous weeks our defenders as a whole are not working well together. There was a guy on the radio who kept going on about this yesterday so it sounds like the trend continues.

I'm surprised people calling for Young to come back in, it's not going to help having another tweener in the side and a poor one at that. We're better off getting Wood to play taller who does it much better. Roberts would surely have to be a chance in the next 4 weeks. How did he go yesterday?

DISHLICKERS
04-08-2014, 05:30 PM
I would like to see Grant and Jones in. Our forward line seems to function best with them in the side.

I would retain Campbell in the side also.

Out Bonty (rest) Hunter/Hrovat/Stevens/Coons/Higgins take your pick

LostDoggy
04-08-2014, 05:43 PM
He's probably a guy we should shut down for the remainder of the season. Of course that's up to him as well. I know he plays with a ton of heart and would hate to sit out. He needs help! I haven't watched yesterday's game but in previous weeks our defenders as a whole are not working well together. There was a guy on the radio who kept going on about this yesterday so it sounds like the trend continues.

I'm surprised people calling for Young to come back in, it's not going to help having another tweener in the side and a poor one at that. We're better off getting Wood to play taller who does it much better. Roberts would surely have to be a chance in the next 4 weeks. How did he go yesterday?

Young atleast gives our back 6 some sort of attacking option outide of Murphy.

On the weekend we had Darley (9 touches), Picken (12), Austin (10), Roughy (13), Morris(8)

of the 5 blokes mentioned, only Darley has claims of actually doing any damage with ball in hand. But even he is so worried about working on his defensive side he is forgetting to attack.

Look at Hawthorns back 6. Birchall, Suckling, Duryea, Litherland there's 4 blokes who can damage you on the offsenive. Gibsons disposal is also very good.

Young is a solid defender who can run and create and make very smart decisions with ball in hand. Yes he has made mistakes when given his chance in the senior side this year, but atleast he has the potential to create and make something happen.

bornadog
04-08-2014, 06:40 PM
only Darley has claims of actually doing any damage with ball in hand. But even he is so worried about working on his defensive side he is forgetting to attack.

Good point you make and that maybe a coaching issue.

G-Mo77
04-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Young is a solid defender who can run and create and make very smart decisions with ball in hand. Yes he has made mistakes when given his chance in the senior side this year, but atleast he has the potential to create and make something happen.

Solid defender no, smart user yeah he's ok. Wood is twice the player Young is on a bad day. Why not just bring Wood back in?

BulldogBelle
05-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Austen generally falls over in the contest. Just look at his first 3 contests after half time. Two matches ago it seemed to be his signature play, and fantastically he got a game the week after. After that the rest of the team started to fall over more. If you fall over people don't see that you lose the contest.

When he goes the spoil he hits the ball the the opposition's advantage. Just look at his first 3 spoil attempts in the first quarter. Where was he for the last kick from the goal square in the second quarter, nowhere to receive it, standing next to the kicker. Just look how he got thrashed by McEvoy in the first half. Think that one of the commentators said that was McEvoy's best ever game.

He gives us zero run or penetration off the backline.

Look how he was completely thrashed by Jarrad Roughead and co in the last quarter. They made him look stupid. Oh how he cursed himself. Did you see him curse himself? Weren't those outrageous curses. Austen took a few uncontested marks that looked good. I suppose you are basing your opinion on that.

I don't like writing about all of the shortcomings of one of our players. Austen is a dud. So you argue that there were other duds out there worse than him or he is the best we have of a bad bunch.

If Austen isn't delisted at the end of the year it will be an opportunity lost. Austen will never make a B grade player. C grade is his upper limit and he is there now. He will never be a Grand Final Class player. Better off delisting him and trying to recruit a good player. Worse we can do is get another dud.

LostDoggy
05-08-2014, 01:52 AM
Austin staying in the side for mine would be a celebration of mediocrity, he's not been that bad, and probably cops some unfair flack, but in our heart of hearts I think we all know that he isn't up to it, same with Redpath. Well done to both of them being able to tell their grand kids they played AFL football, but neither will ever be able to say they played 50 games. Delist.

Remi Moses
05-08-2014, 05:39 AM
Not up to it for me . Our needs in the back half out way our forward needs .
Goes to ground to often

Sedat
05-08-2014, 01:26 PM
His disposal is fine if he plays within his limitations...which he generally does. A bit like Talia in that respect. The problem is we don't get any attack or penetration from these blokes but I guess that's better than seeing them turn it over all the time.
Darley and JJ both look decent chances to make it in the post-Bob era, but I agree with your sentiments all the same. I'd love a Shaggy-style player to emerge from our list who can clamp down when needed, go 3rd man in, and also run and distribute offensively as well - had hopes that Young would be this player but he has disappointed since mid last year.

The Underdog
05-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Austin staying in the side for mine would be a celebration of mediocrity, he's not been that bad, and probably cops some unfair flack, but in our heart of hearts I think we all know that he isn't up to it, same with Redpath. Well done to both of them being able to tell their grand kids they played AFL football, but neither will ever be able to say they played 50 games. Delist.

Austin is up to 40 games, so there's hope for the grandkids yet.
I will also from now on think of the retention of all players who aren't out and out champions as celebrations. Will put a new shine on list management decisions.

BulldogBelle
05-08-2014, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that, considering Austin is on 40 games and will be on the senior list next year. :)

LostDoggy
05-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that, considering Austin is on 40 games and will be on the senior list next year. :)

I think my point has been missed that we should be delisting him at the end of this year, but fair play to him if he does, can we get onto Sportsbet to set up a book?

Mofra
06-08-2014, 10:14 AM
I don't like writing about all of the shortcomings of one of our players. Austen is a dud. So you argue that there were other duds out there worse than him or he is the best we have of a bad bunch.
I doubt there is anything he can do to change some people's perception of him - but he is currently our best performed tall backman.

There's not much more he can do - especially when he is playing on arguably the form tall forward in the competition who is playing in the top team given silver platter service from their midfield.

At least try and be realistic - he was shifted onto Roughy because our Roughy was getting pantsed and he did a far better job than Jordan did.

Cyberdoggie
06-08-2014, 01:56 PM
I doubt there is anything he can do to change some people's perception of him - but he is currently our best performed tall backman.

There's not much more he can do - especially when he is playing on arguably the form tall forward in the competition who is playing in the top team given silver platter service from their midfield.

At least try and be realistic - he was shifted onto Roughy because our Roughy was getting pantsed and he did a far better job than Jordan did.

On a couple of occasions it did appear that Austin was left out 2 on 1 and he was obviously furious with others not in the frame.

Hard to tell on the TV broadcast who was responsible for defensive laps.

Cyberdoggie
06-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Young atleast gives our back 6 some sort of attacking option outide of Murphy.

On the weekend we had Darley (9 touches), Picken (12), Austin (10), Roughy (13), Morris(8)

of the 5 blokes mentioned, only Darley has claims of actually doing any damage with ball in hand. But even he is so worried about working on his defensive side he is forgetting to attack.

Look at Hawthorns back 6. Birchall, Suckling, Duryea, Litherland there's 4 blokes who can damage you on the offsenive. Gibsons disposal is also very good.

I very much agree with you there. Our current defensive talls are very limited.
Although that is not the worst thing if you can balance that with creativity and run from the other defenders. Which is why it is so important that Wood, Murphy, JJ, Darling and Picken offer something.
Unfortunately Murphy is the only consistent in that group, Wood seems to focus mostly on his defensive duties and forgets to move the ball in some games, JJ is slowly gathering back some confidence after the collar bone injury, Darling is new and Picken pretty much just bangs the ball on the boot blindly most times.

I think Young and Wood will be excellent defenders with a bit of run and creativity if they can get the freedom to play that role.
Unfortunately they end up focussing so much on defence because we are under siege, and then we judge them on that aspect and that they aren't big enough etc.

Remi Moses
07-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Darling ( don't call me darling) would be nice .Young worries me one on one( it's look away now stuff) . Our mids have to work harder to help out defensively, and we need a good reader and cut off type.

Twodogs
07-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Darling ( don't call me darling) would be nice .Young worries me one on one( it's look away now stuff) . Our mids have to work harder to help out defensively, and we need a good reader and cut off type.

Have to have one of them. Brian used to take care of that sort of thing but he's gone.

bornadog
07-08-2014, 07:41 PM
In: Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Honeychurch, Easton Wood and Jack Redpath

JJ out with a calf

bornadog
07-08-2014, 07:45 PM
ROUND 20 - St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs
Sunday 10 August 2014, 3:20pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Full back
L Picken
J Roughead
M Austin

Half back
R Murphy
D Morris
K Stevens

Centreline
L Hunter
M Boyd
J Macrae

Half Forward
M Bontempelli
S Crameri
N Hrovat

Full Forward
L Dahlhaus
J Stringer
T Campbell

Followers
W Minson
R Griffen
T Liberatore

Interchange (from):
S Higgins
E Wood
D Giansiracusa

A Cooney
M Honeychurch
S Darley

J Redpath

comrade
07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Wood straight in, Honeychurch to replace Cooney if we're being serious about rewarding good form (and punishing bad form).

No sign of Roberts is a bit surprising.

boydogs
07-08-2014, 08:47 PM

It really is. We should know by now that Talia & Roberts are on the outer but getting 6 & 8 goals kicked against our talls in successive weeks and still not having neither Talia nor Roberts even on the extended bench is baffling

bornadog
07-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Wood straight in, Honeychurch to replace Cooney if we're being serious about rewarding good form (and punishing bad form).

No Jones or Grant. God sake we only kicked 6 goals last week.

F'scary
07-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Trying to puzzle this out: Assuming the named starting 18 are definite starters, then Redpath won't play since Campbell is in. Wood should be a cert. Surely the selectors, if they are smart, will take the opportunity to get another game into Honeychurch and Darley. That leaves one more. I'd go with Gia as sub.

Higgins and Cooney should pay for last week's effort. Or more correctly, lack of.

Rocco Jones
07-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Honeychurch, Darley, Wood, Gia for me.

I would like to see Gia play VFL finals and that can't happen if he plays AFL Sunday but you would think he would prefer to play as many AFL games as possible before he retires.

LostDoggy
07-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Disappointing that tutt's form has tapered off as well and couldn't at least make the extended bench. I thought he was showing a bit of promise earlier but seems to have slipped back in senior calculations.

Remi Moses
07-08-2014, 11:42 PM
Wasn't Talia or Roberts in the bests last week?
Baffling .
Cooney should be out of that side, and Gia should just have a farewell game.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Gia, Higgins & Cooney to miss for mine

Twodogs
07-08-2014, 11:56 PM
I think that Cooney, Higgins and Roberts miss out. Darley did just enough over he last few weeks to earn another go, I'd like to see Honeychurch at AFL level again, Wood went back to the reserves and did what he was asked to do and Gia hopefully to crash Lenny Hayes's party.

Cooney really needs to dominate a game or two to get some confidence back, Higgins deserves another run in the twos and Campbell deserves a decent run in the seniors so Redpath misses out.

Happy Days
08-08-2014, 12:48 PM
How did the MC watch the seconds last week and possibly think Redpath was the best of the forwards?

SlimPickens
08-08-2014, 01:22 PM
How did the MC watch the seconds last week and possibly think Redpath was the best of the forwards?

Do you think Jack will actually play? I don't think there was much to be gained by watching any of our forwards last week. We won by 130 pts and Jones, Cordy and Grant were certainly far from impressive.

Happy Days
08-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Do you think Jack will actually play? I don't think there was much to be gained by watching any of our forwards last week. We won by 130 pts and Jones, Cordy and Grant were certainly far from impressive.

I think we kicked 6 goals last week and the only chance of a change to it is for the least effective of the four (five if you count Dickson) from the VFL to come in.

Mantis
08-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Yep.. I guess we are happy for Roughy to have his pants pulled down each week.

LostDoggy
08-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Who is Roughy going to play on this week?

Stanley is far to quick and athletic and Rewoildt would have him blow up after 10 minutes.

The real worry is, a player like Carisle should be Roughy's perfect match up.

divvydan
08-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Final side for this week has only 1`change.

Wood in for Johannisen

Remi Moses
08-08-2014, 07:02 PM
How did Cooney keep his place?
Need another key back to play( Talia or Roberts)

The Bulldogs Bite
08-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Final side for this week has only 1`change.

Wood in for Johannisen

I didn't see last week's game but I still have a few concerns re: MC.

- Surely at this point of the year, we should be getting games into one of Roberts or Talia. I favour Roberts who has had a pretty solid year, and done OK at AFL level when given the chance. Additionally, our backs are regularly smashed - so why wouldn't we play him? It doesn't really make any sense from a short OR long term perspective. What are we trying to achieve?

- Cooney has to be incredibly lucky to still be in the side. He was woeful v Essendon and apparently not much better v Hawthorn. It's hard to understand why he's playing, besides the fact his last name is 'Cooney'.

Axe Man
08-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Need another key back to play( Talia or Roberts)

Can't agree with that this week. Morris is the best match for Riewoldt, Macca has already said that he will play on him. Roughead takes Stanley and Austin takes Bruce. Not sure what the advantage would be playing another tall defender?

There is certainly a case to argue about the makeup of the key defenders though (Roughy & Austin v Roberts & Talia).

The Bulldogs Bite
08-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Rough will get torched if he plays on Stanley, and not because Rhys is good, but there's no chance Rough can run with him.

Remi Moses
08-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Rough will get torched if he plays on Stanley, and not because Rhys is good, but there's no chance Rough can run with him.

Agree with this. Austin May play on Stanley

Bumper Bulldogs
08-08-2014, 11:14 PM
How did Cooney keep his place?

Fair dinkum the MC are weak, They make n example of a kid (Macrae) and then accept the tripe dished up by a senior player like this.

Is it just me or are we back to playing on name not work ethic and results

Jasper
08-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Rightly or wrongly, it was pretty clear after hearing Maccas press conference after the Hawthorn loss that Cooney wasn't going to get dropped and would be given time to get back to full fitness etc. Let's just hope he doesnt dish up what he has the last 2 weeks.

lemmon
08-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Fair dinkum the MC are weak, They make n example of a kid (Macrae) and then accept the tripe dished up by a senior player like this.

They made an example of Macrae? Didn't miss a game. If you are talking about him being made sub, Coons has too in recent weeks.

Maddog37
09-08-2014, 11:37 AM
I hope Coons turns it on. We are a much better team with him and Griff playing well. We need Minson to really dominate this game as he is the barometer for our team.

F'scary
09-08-2014, 01:30 PM
I hope Coons turns it on. We are a much better team with him and Griff playing well. We need Minson to really dominate this game as he is the barometer for our team.

If Higgins & Cooney play like last week, we will lose.

Happy Days
09-08-2014, 08:31 PM

If we lose this week everyone will have to play like Higgins and Cooney did last week.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2014, 08:49 PM
If we lose this week everyone will have to play like Higgins and Cooney did last week.

Top 10 posts of the year. :)

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Rightly or wrongly, it was pretty clear after hearing Maccas press conference after the Hawthorn loss that Cooney wasn't going to get dropped and would be given time to get back to full fitness etc. Let's just hope he doesnt dish up what he has the last 2 weeks.
Cooney stays in the side because of our lack of depth. You would have to say that he is playing on reputation only.
We would be better off playing someone like Honeychurch who you know will give you 100 per cent and is hard at it.

Before I Die
09-08-2014, 11:04 PM

I think it is the opposite. I think they are using the VFL team as a learning centre. You don't get a game based on the lack of form of an AFL player or based on a good game at VFL level which may be more of a reflection on your opponent than on you. You get an AFL game based on doing what the coaches have asked you to do at VFL level and by proving you can do it well and do it consistently. I am sure McCartney is coaching to win each week, but I don't think he is necessarily picking the team with the best chance to win each week. I believe he is taking a longer term view and coaching to win that elusive premiership. In the last week both Cordy and Young get wraps from the coaches, but they don't get a senior game, even though the senior players keeping them out are not displaying good form. It only makes sense to me if they are playing the long game, which is fine by me.

Anyway, that's one man's theory.

jeemak
10-08-2014, 01:53 AM
I think it is the opposite. I think they are using the VFL team as a learning centre. You don't get a game based on the lack of form of an AFL player or based on a good game at VFL level which may be more of a reflection on your opponent than on you. You get an AFL game based on doing what the coaches have asked you to do at VFL level and by proving you can do it well and do it consistently. I am sure McCartney is coaching to win each week, but I don't think he is necessarily picking the team with the best chance to win each week. I believe he is taking a longer term view and coaching to win that elusive premiership. In the last week both Cordy and Young get wraps from the coaches, but they don't get a senior game, even though the senior players keeping them out are not displaying good form. It only makes sense to me if they are playing the long game, which is fine by me.

Good post.

Remi Moses
10-08-2014, 02:26 AM

Few of us have the same thinking, and I think you've nailed it.
We're crying out for another tall back to help Roughead and Morris out, yet clearly there are some aspects of the game that Roberts and Talia have to improve in.

G-Mo77
10-08-2014, 10:09 AM
They made an example of Macrae? Didn't miss a game. If you are talking about him being made sub, Coons has too in recent weeks.

Difference being one didn't get publicly ridiculed after being named the sub the other gets lauded for serving up poor performances.

ratsmac
10-08-2014, 10:34 AM

I agree with your theory. It just seems to be the case with a number of players this year doesn't it. . I don't know if I agree with this style of coaching but what would a carpenter from Hillside know?? I suppose we just have to wait and see and hope that our teacher/coach knows what he is doing.

F'scary
10-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Top 10 posts of the year. :)

Well, we better win because if we lose, if a lot of woofers share sentiments like you two are making before the match, I would suggest it is going to be very ugly on this forum this evening! :)

Before I Die
10-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Well, we better win because if we lose, if a lot of woofers share sentiments like you two are making before the match, I would suggest it is going to be very ugly on this forum this evening! :)

If we lose, I am not logging in before Wednesday for this very reason.

boydogs
10-08-2014, 05:23 PM
If we lose, I am not logging in before Wednesday for this very reason.

I'll commit to that too

Bulldog4life
10-08-2014, 06:18 PM
umpiring is keeping them in it

LostDoggy
11-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Watched the replay again and found 15 bad decisions to us and 5 to St Kilda that were wrong. Pretty bad day for umpires

always right
11-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Watched the replay again and found 15 bad decisions to us and 5 to St Kilda that were wrong. Pretty bad day for umpires

Who was umpire #2? Seemed to be involved in so many poor/non decisions? The senior umpire wasn't much better...the one with the bad toupee.

EasternWest
11-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Who was umpire #2? Seemed to be involved in so many poor/non decisions? The senior umpire wasn't much better...the one with the bad toupee.

Is there such a thing as a good toupee?