PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Roughead - 2014 not his best year.

bornadog
06-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Roughead hasn't had a good year at all conceding some big scores against the best forwards:

Lynch - 4 Goals

Cloke - 6

Carlisle - 8

Roughead - 6

He has toughed out the season with shoulder problems and I believe he is playing without confidence.

* Should we end his year and get him ready for 2015 and if so, who plays in his role?

* Is he ok to continue on for the year?

* Should he remain at fullback in 2015?

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 03:29 PM
He's labouring a bit for mine, I agree, send him to the paddock for the rest of the season and freshen him up for the Autumn.

As for removing him from FB in 2015, we need to see, personally I don't see him with a position if it's not at FB!

bulldogtragic
06-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I think he's hampered by other talls not developing. I think you can cover a slight slowness in Roughy if he has other big guys around him and a Gibson like contest killer. If Talia or Roberts can stand up and demand to play then the flow on effect is Morris can be more like a Gibson player than he's been able to be. Wood and Murphy benefit too and I reckon Jarrad Grant could play that role too, and I think he'd be very good at it.

BulldogBelle
06-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Roughy has struggled against anyone with a bit of talent. I'm thinking he is the new Tom Williams. Tommy played well against average players but was regularly dominated by the classier ones. I think this is happening now with Jordan. I don't see him as a legitimate KPP but he remains a 200cm defender capable of taking on the ruckman that go forward. As a defender, I think he is a "horses for courses" player, an asset against teams that will play two ruckmen and rotate them up forward, but a liability against one ruckman/fill in ruckman teams with two true key forwards.

Go_Dogs
06-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Are those goals against figures misleading due to him not being on the opponent for all of them?

Agree that he has struggled at times but that is related to his injuries, I suspect. He has played some good roles during the year and I still back him in to become a good long term player for us. Would benefit from more support down there in the KPP stakes.

boydogs
06-08-2014, 08:10 PM
His shoulders are gone, Talia & Roberts must really be struggling for us to persist with him instead of getting them fixed up

Maddog37
06-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Roughy seems to have dropped form with shoulder problems. Fuller seems to have had them all year and people want to delist him.

Remi Moses
07-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Roughy seems to have dropped form with shoulder problems. Fuller seems to have had them all year and people want to delist him.

Bit of a difference though that Roughy's shown a bit and Fuller's battled from the get go. if he is hurt put him away For the year.

SonofScray
07-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Agree 2014 hasn't been his best year. Seems to have gone downhill in line with his shoulder injuries. The severity of the bags he has had kicked on him is a bit of a concern, harking back to the days Richo and Lloyd would have a field day against smaller, less talented Dogs defenders, until Lakey became a star.

Roughie has battled a bit in recent weeks, though I recall him playing some good games early. Without knowing the stats I would say he has added more competency to is intercepting skills, he is out marking opponents more often in a similar fashion to how Lake would. Still a way to go to get to that level, but he is building up to it.He had a few games where he topped the "1%ers" list, including the game here he busted his shoulder. So even in a season where he has been beaten outright by his opponents a few times I feel we've got some value from him and further promising signs.

Resilience, leadership, intercepting and marking would be the gains he has demonstrated.
Kicking, spoiling and creativity have been the read he has struggled with.

I'd persist with him at FB, in a tight back 6 defensive system he could be a real weapon. As an outright one on one star defender, he might continue to get exposed by certain players.

LostDoggy
10-08-2014, 07:02 PM
James gwilt kicking three on Roughhead in a half of footy is hardly a promising sign for him! He has really been struggling for most of the year and especially in recent weeks! If it's his shoulder troubling him, he should put the cue in the rack for the season and if not he should be dropped due to poor form and fletcher Roberts given a chance!

Bumper Bulldogs
10-08-2014, 07:18 PM
James gwilt kicking three on Roughhead in a half of footy is hardly a promising sign for him! He has really been struggling for most of the year and especially in recent weeks! If it's his shoulder troubling him, he should put the cue in the rack for the season and if not he should be dropped due to poor form and fletcher Roberts given a chance!

Not sure I think if we don't pay him that the flood gates could open up a little, Yes he was done a couple of time by Gwilt but he was peeling off to cover other saint players (Well it looked like that to me)

Im happy to play him as I'm sure the shoulder cant get any worst and it sets a fantastic example to the other back six and if the others were ready they should be pushing him aside.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Rough has been extremely poor.

If it's his shoulder, he shouldn't be playing. If it's not his shoulder, he should be dropped.

G-Mo77
10-08-2014, 07:35 PM
I started thinking he looked more comfortable out there today and then Gwilt kicked 3. Hard to judge watching on TV but it was disappointing to see Gwilt leading well ahead of him.

Is he getting caught up behind play somehow?

ledge
10-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Gwilt is a ground player . Roughead is supposed to
Play on talls a match up not suited to him. He got a bit of it today I was happy with him

Remi Moses
10-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Thought it was a poor match up.
Austin's more mobile, and Roughy on the bigs.
The frightening thing was Gwilt looked like John Coleman.

soupman
11-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I thought there were times yesterday where Roughead was starting to look better again with some strong marks, but then Gwilt happened. Really worried about Petrie this week and not sure if either Austin or Morris are big enough to be a viable plan B.

Also can a mod please change the name of this thread so Jordan is actually spelt correctly?

bornadog
11-08-2014, 12:02 PM
I thought there were times yesterday where Roughead was starting to look better again with some strong marks, but then Gwilt happened. Really worried about Petrie this week and not sure if either Austin or Morris are big enough to be a viable plan B.

Also can a mod please change the name of this thread so Jordan is actually spelt correctly?
Sorry I hate misspelling, my fault.

whythelongface
11-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Yep thought the same. Gwilt was too mobile and quick for Roughie (Roughie is 12cm taller) and it really wasn't a great match-up. Think he will go better against Petrie just due to the mobility factor.

Mofra
11-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Teams have worked him out - watch every opponent drag him out of defence into the HB/midfield area now then try and double back towards goal whenever they have possession.

G-Mo77
11-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Teams have worked him out - watch every opponent drag him out of defence into the HB/midfield area now then try and double back towards goal whenever they have possession.

I haven't been for a while but will hopefully make the last 2 games. I'll be keeping a close eye on our defenders.

boydogs
11-08-2014, 03:12 PM

They tried that with Lake. He would stop at the 50 metre line and let them do whatever they wanted as long as it wasn't in goalscoring range

Greystache
11-08-2014, 03:36 PM
I watched Roughead pretty closely yesterday. The main reason he was beaten on occasion was he was really lax in sticking with his opponent when there was space to lead up at the ball carrier. Several times Gwilt was 3-4 steps away before Roughead started to follow him, it was really poor. He actually made ground on the chase but was just far too loose initially. Watching yesterday his poor form looked more mental weakness than physical to me.

Webby
11-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Roughead needs some help from some other tall defenders. I've said on other posts that Roberts and Talia need to really develop into good AFL level defenders over the next year if the club is going anywhere.

The two of them are pretty good mates. I think that sometimes mates can push each other along, but equally, they can also help each other to slacken off and rest on their laurels.. Just being happy to stuff around and enjoy playing a bit of fringe footy. I'm hoping Morris can get hold of them in his final year or two and really teach them how to prepare themselves.

They need more strength and closing speed. They'll get a bit more weight (the laws of physics apply strongly to defending) and Talia in particular needs to work on his decision making and disposal. 2015 is a make or break year for those two... And by extension for the longer term prospects of the club.... Because Roughead sure as hell needs the help.

josie
11-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I watched Roughead pretty closely yesterday. The main reason he was beaten on occasion was he was really lax in sticking with his opponent when there was space to lead up at the ball carrier. Several times Gwilt was 3-4 steps away before Roughead started to follow him, it was really poor. He actually made ground on the chase but was just far too loose initially. Watching yesterday his poor form looked more mental weakness than physical to me.

Yep - I've noticed this too - for a few weeks now. I'm really worried he is fast becoming a liability. Why haven't the coaches done something about this? He is one of our best marks. I hope has what it takes to worth through this. Perhaps his confidence is shot because of his shoulder injury. However that's not an excuse for often being way behind his player.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Yep - I've noticed this too - for a few weeks now. I'm really worried he is fast becoming a liability. Why haven't the coaches done something about this? He is one of our best marks. I hope has what it takes to worth through this. Perhaps his confidence is shot because of his shoulder injury. However that's not an excuse for often being way behind his player.

I put it down to a learning curve. Ideally, he's our go to, zone off and take an intercept mark player, maybe he's just taking a little too long to sum up the situation at the moment and needs to be smarter at realising when he needs to go, and when he should be thinking about zoning off to impact another contest.

His past month or so hasn't been great, but up until then he'd had a pretty good year, including demonstrating his ability to continue to battle for the team when clearly suffering discomfort.

comrade
11-08-2014, 11:25 PM
It's the first time in weeks he actually peeled off and took some 'Lake-esque' marks. That's his go. The close checking, defend on the lead style isn't the best use of his talent. Floating around, repelling forward entries is what he should be doing.

I'm more convinced than ever that we need a genuine gun KPD before a key forward. It would give Roughy a new lease on life and allow us to structure up in a way that suits our personnel.