PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 20

Eastdog
08-08-2014, 11:57 AM
This is the round 20 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against St. Kilda is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Bank 'em & Anch 'em

comrade
10-08-2014, 08:20 PM
B:

Stringer. He will scare the shit out of opposition defenders for years to come. Love his confidence to take the game on and the tenacity to keep a dead ball alive.
Wood. Took his medicine last week, came back and showed that he's a quick learner. Gained metres, did the defensive things well.
Cooney. After a horrid couple of weeks, it was clear early he was moving well and in the zone. Stood up when needed.

A:

Minno. Feel sorry for the bloke because he can't touch another ruck man without the umpires pinging him. What is unforgivable is that dropped mark and his general lack of ability in the air.
The Lenny love fest. The umpires & commentators got sucked into the hype and made a mockery of an official game of AFL footy.
Kicking for goal. Geez we miss some easy ones and it has the twofold effect of letting the other team in whilst simultaneously depleting our confidence. Just kick the goal.

bornadog
10-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Bankers

* Stringers two unbelievable goals that nearly knocked off Bonti's
* Crameri's goal in the last.
* Woods tackle, what a ripper

Anchors

* Supporters who wipe off a player due to one bad game - Cooney and Higgo say hello.
* Umpiring - totally confused with many stupid decisions.
* The Lenny Love - premature considering he has three games left.

The bulldog tragician
10-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Bankers:
Stringer!!! Wow. He really arrived. He looks like he loves his footy again. He really could be anything once he gets that fitness up.
Cooney. I thought he was lucky to hold his spot, a reminder that he's a champ.
Wood's enormous bone jarring tackle.
Honorable mentions: Koby's intercept. Crameri's work ethic.

Anchors:
the free to Lenny. Just ridiculous.
Will's dropped mark
awful misses from Dahl and Koby, we should have put them away MUCH earlier.

LostDoggy
10-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Bankers
Koby - although he missed a few goals he stood up when needed.
Jake - Biased I know but his goal looked every bit as good as Whites
Dale - solid all game kept the sook reasonably quiet

Anchors
Too many turnovers
Goal kicking a problem again
Should have won by a lot more

Greystache
10-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Bankers

Stringer's 2 rippers

Crameri- best game in the second half of the season

Cooney- A badly needed good game.

Anchors

Umpires- Trying to orchestrate the result for Lenny

Set shots from young players, missing so many easy ones.

Supporters who try to promote their own moral superiority by denigrating other supporters. God they're pathetic!

whythelongface
10-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Bankers:
1/ Match committee - for sticking with Cooney and Higgins.
2/ Wood - excellent attack on the ball and run from the HBF
3/ Stringer - he is already a machine and will only get better.

Anchors:
1/ Inability to kill the game and let teams get back into it. 34 points up with 8 mins left and we nearly lost it. Not good enough.
2/ The play on (or should I say lack of play on) rule;
3/ Turnovers yet again cost us dearly.

EasternWest
10-08-2014, 10:22 PM
[/B]* Supporters who wipe off a player due to one bad game - Cooney and Higgo say hello.

This is a joke right?

You're satisfied that two "leaders" of our team do well against the hands down worst side for the year but go missing when it actually counts?

I know you and I don't always see eye to eye, but I usually respect your passion and your insight. But you are just wrong here. Both guys have rightly been under the microscope and playing well against St. Kinda shouldn't alleviate that.

bornadog
11-08-2014, 12:27 AM
This is a joke right?

You're satisfied that two "leaders" of our team do well against the hands down worst side for the year but go missing when it actually counts?

I know you and I don't always see eye to eye, but I usually respect your passion and your insight. But you are just wrong here. Both guys have rightly been under the microscope and playing well against St. Kinda shouldn't alleviate that.

I look at the whole season when assessing a player and I believe both players have been pretty good this year. Higgins had a bad patch a few weeks ago and was rightly dropped by the MC and has bounced back. This has probably been one of his best seasons for awhile and not being injured has helped. As for Cooney, the MC handled him pretty badly. He was out with a hammy and then returned straight to the seniors after four weeks and played as a sub and was pretty poor. He was poor again last week and really should have played VFL for two weeks. But reading crap like Cooney is cooked and Higgins is a fringe player, makes me wonder if I am reading the Richmond board.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2014, 12:40 AM
B:

Bonts, Stringer, Hrovat, Macrae, Hunter (We need some young guns with Surnames starting with vowels so we have a better acronym than BSHMH to abbreviate my effort)
Warming to Darley
The players who took their turn when it was theirs, notable Stevens. Wood's tackle was outstanding too.

A:

Umpiring. The disadvantages to kicks downfield, Will penalised for standing still to contest a ruck, the no mark to Will when every player stopped, Riewoldts BS standard frees... Just pathetic. Sorry young umpires, it's not the profession, just the standard today.
Missing easy shots. When we don't get gifted 30 shots per game we just can't keep missing them.
Not killing the game. It's a win and we will enjoy it, but it's not one to hang our hats on.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2014, 09:33 AM
B:
Stringer - getting a run on now, his ability to consistently stay in involved is improving. Watch out 2015.
Cooney - great response to the last 2 weeks, showed his class and finished well in front of goal.
Stevens - did some good things, if he'd kicked 2 of the more gettable ones he missed, would have been a stand out game.

A:
Umpiring, stupid frees/calls, including a couple which benefited us being the 50m penalties... just frustrating stuff.
Over use of handball. At times we got caught out, I get trying to create overlap to run the ball out, but circular handballing is dumb, always has been and always will be, got ourselves into trouble quite a few times.
Our tackle count/indicative work rate - 46 is pretty small, got the feeling we would've been belted by half decent opposition yesterday, we just didn't have the necessary intensity and whilst a win is nice, we played like millionaires in parts and didn't work hard enough.

EasternWest
11-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I look at the whole season when assessing a player and I believe both players have been pretty good this year. Higgins had a bad patch a few weeks ago and was rightly dropped by the MC and has bounced back. This has probably been one of his best seasons for awhile and not being injured has helped. As for Cooney, the MC handled him pretty badly. He was out with a hammy and then returned straight to the seniors after four weeks and played as a sub and was pretty poor. He was poor again last week and really should have played VFL for two weeks. But reading crap like Cooney is cooked and Higgins is a fringe player, makes me wonder if I am reading the Richmond board.

Well I just about completely disagree, but you've made your points reasonably enough so no point labouring the issue.

Ozza
11-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Bankers:

Higgins and Cooney - both played very very well. Seemed as though when they got the footy we were a good chance to score. Higgins in particular used the ball extremely well. And Coons found his dash.
Stringer - was a real handful for the saints. Some great goals. If the way he played is a look into the future of what he will play like as a mature player - then we are in for a lot of fun watching him.
Wood - as someone posted earlier, went back to the VFL, worked on what he had to, and came back in and provided a good balance of attack and defence.

Anchors:

Minson - The frees against in the ruck when he fends off - are very frustrating.
Dahlhaus - played ok. But again missed shots for goal, and didn't kick the ball well going inside 50.
Macrae - As per Dahl, played fairly well - but a couple of ordinary, costly turnovers that he just needs to work out of his game. Usually caused by his ball drop with makes his short kicks travel like pitching wedges. On the plus side, showed some really good inside work yesterday to compliment his game.

Remi Moses
11-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Bankers - Stringer ( taking the game on, and it's enjoyable in a lean period)
Wood ( great response to being dumped)
Morris ( had the better of the diver)
Cooney ( much better) Crameri( his work rate is elite)
Anchors-
Gotta get better defensively( both individually and collectively) that was t20 footy
Lapses in games are also killing us.