PDA

View Full Version : Pushing in the back, no advantage???

bulldogtragic
10-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Aker or anyone else, how is a free kick allowed to play on - except apparently a player who is pushed in the back while kicking. Surely if the greater advantage is down the ground by the ball being marked etc, the team should not be penalised???

Otherwise if a player sees his defender in a bad position and the ball runner in front of him, he just pushes the ball carrier, the ball comes back, the defenders clog the holes.

I don't get it.

Bulldog4life
10-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Happened to us twice. Ridiculous. You may as well push a player in the back if it looks like he can kick it to an unguarded player.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Happened to us twice. Ridiculous. You may as well push a player in the back if it looks like he can kick it to an unguarded player.
Yet it was okay when Billings was the downfield beneficiary of a mark from the same situation. The umpire said advantage. And he was the ump who called one of the dog's back in the same situation.

bornadog
10-08-2014, 07:24 PM
I am convinced the umpiring fraternity along with AfL meddling with rules has changed the game for the worst during the last 10 years

Scorlibo
10-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Along a similar theme, players lunging after the kicker and clipping their feet (ie. tripping them) also has to stop. Professional free kicks ruin the game.

Twodogs
10-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Aker or anyone else, how is a free kick allowed to play on - except apparently a player who is pushed in the back while kicking. Surely if the greater advantage is down the ground by the ball being marked etc, the team should not be penalised???

Otherwise if a player sees his defender in a bad position and the ball runner in front of him, he just pushes the ball carrier, the ball comes back, the defenders clog the holes.

I don't get it.

The second one I clearly heard the umpire say " he pushed you as you kicked the ball so the free comes back here" that umpire must have been the only person in the entire stadium who thought that Morris(I think) was pushed as he kicked the ball and not after.

LostDoggy
10-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Ridiculous and those umpires will be talked to by Campbell I'm sure.

Pedro Sanchez
11-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Ridiculous and those umpires will be talked to by Campbell I'm sure.

The umpiring was rubbish full stop. Horrible. A negative influence on a good game of footy. Seriously, how hard can it be to umpire a game of footy. Way too over technical and seemingly had no appreciation for the nuances of the game. Shocking.

On a positive. Stringer is a gun in the making.

Greystache
11-08-2014, 12:14 AM
Was there a single marking contest in which Campbell wasn't held for the whole game? Didn't get a single free kick yet the St Kilda diver got his standard 3.

Twodogs
11-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Was there a single marking contest in which Campbell wasn't held for the whole game? Didn't get a single free kick yet the St Kilda diver got his standard 3.

Before the game he could just have 3 shots at goal. Then we could play the game without him falling over before every contest and staring at the umpire and flapping his arms.

Webby
11-08-2014, 12:28 AM
I was pleased to see someone post this thread. The Bontempelli one absolutely enraged me. He pumped a 55m kick into our 50m arc with about 7 players in it (and one of our players marked it) and the "punishment" for St Kilda's infringement was for the ball to be taken back 55m towards their goal as 30 odd players flooded our forward line!

I noted that even Riewoldt flew for the second kick! It's an incredibly daft game at times! The AFL needs to look very closely at this folly!