PDA

View Full Version : Macca's Message - Round 20

bornadog
12-08-2014, 10:55 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-08-12/maccas-member-message-round-twenty?camefrom=EMCL_361536_16543886

Remi Moses
13-08-2014, 03:15 AM
Interesting hearing the coach make comment on the experienced side Stkilda picked.
Certainly picked a side to win for Lenny.

bornadog
13-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Interesting hearing the coach make comment on the experienced side Stkilda picked.
Certainly picked a side to win for Lenny.

St Kilda are in deep trouble as they have many ageing players but not much coming through at the other end. At least we have managed to shed a couple of older players in the last few years

wimberga
13-08-2014, 11:40 AM
IMO St Kilda will be fine, they are just where we were in 2nd half 2011.

I think they are bang on 2.5 years behind us, and journos right about them now as if you couldn't see it coming...

Greystache
13-08-2014, 12:47 PM
IMO St Kilda will be fine, they are just where we were in 2nd half 2011.

I think they are bang on 2.5 years behind us, and journos right about them now as if you couldn't see it coming...

We weren't stone motherless last in 2011 when our veterans were coming to an end, St Kilda are. Ours were actually keeping us marginally competitive despite years of poor recruiting. We dropped right off once our veterans departed, as will St Kilda, which is scary when you're already winning the wooden spoon.

ledge
13-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Saints could be better off than us in a few years if they have the right staff, they don't have to compete with GWS and GC getting all the top draft picks like we did..
Of course it all depends in culture and development and good choices.
Looking at what we have picked up considering our handicap, both Macs have done an amazing job with draftees

bulldogsthru&thru
13-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Saints could be better off than us in a few years if they have the right staff, they don't have to compete with GWS and GC getting all the top draft picks like we did..
Of course it all depends in culture and development and good choices.
Looking at what we have picked up considering our handicap, both Macs have done an amazing job with draftees

In the end i dont think we were affected too much in the compromised drafts mostly due to excellent drafting. Macrae and Bonts may well be the best of their drafts and lets not forget Stringer too. Also having 2 picks in the strong 2012 draft will benefit us immensely IMO. This years draft is not the most advantageous draft to possess the prized top pick either.

wimberga
13-08-2014, 03:20 PM
We weren't stone motherless last in 2011 when our veterans were coming to an end, St Kilda are. Ours were actually keeping us marginally competitive despite years of poor recruiting. We dropped right off once our veterans departed, as will St Kilda, which is scary when you're already winning the wooden spoon.

Your absolutely right about that but I feel like we had our "stone motherless last" year across two years, and as a result never dropped that extra bit.

But I guess all that I am saying is, I expected them to fall away, see them as a couple years behind us, but just don't understand the doom and gloom. They are going to have a few lean years as we did, but I am just surprised that some, particularly in the media, didn't see it coming and write in the "here and now".

In the same way they lacked the foresight to see it coming, they also lack the ability to look at how they will develop.

wimberga
13-08-2014, 07:31 PM
For those who haven't checked it out, I highly recommend having a listen to this interview:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-08-13/mccartney-clear-on-approach

Some really interesting insights.

At one point Macca speaks about feedback he received from senior players which he took on board and implemented. Great to hear that after the Jackson Macrae thing, feedback runs both ways in our club. Great things to hear.