PDA

View Full Version : More Coaching Appointments

GVGjr
01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
LeasePlan Western Bulldogs Update

The Western Bulldogs Football Club has made two appointments to its 2008 coaching group this week.

John Barnes has been appointed to the position of Ruck and Stoppage Coach. Barnes, who played for Essendon and Geelong, was known throughout his playing career as a premier ruckman in the AFL. He comes to the Western Bulldogs from his recent role as runner/ruck coach at the Essendon Bombers.

The club has also appointed Simon Dalrymple to the role of Development Coach. This role will sit underneath the recent newly-created position of Development Manager which is held by Brad Gotch (Williamstown Coach).

Dalrymple has been the AFL Victoria Development Manager for the Northern Region since 2003 working with programs such as Auskick, coach education, secondary school football, along with assisting with the management of the talented player pathway of the Northern Knights Football Club.

Go_Dogs
01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Interesting I guess, considering the talk on BF last week regarding Barnes.

mjp
01-11-2007, 09:32 PM
The club has also appointed Simon Dalrymple to the role of Development Coach. This role will sit underneath the recent newly-created position of Development Manager which is held by Brad Gotch (Williamstown Coach).

Dalrymple has been the AFL Victoria Development Manager for the Northern Region since 2003 working with programs such as Auskick, coach education, secondary school football, along with assisting with the management of the talented player pathway of the Northern Knights Football Club.

I have attended a couple of seminars with him - seemed pretty switched on to me. I am quite pleased to hear about this one!

GVGjr
01-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I have attended a couple of seminars with him - seemed pretty switched on to me. I am quite pleased to hear about this one!

Yes he is highly regarded.

Raw Toast
01-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Good to hear we've got another development coach - going on some of Eade's earlier comments it seemed a probability, not a certainty.

Does anyone know if they are full-time or part-time positions?

GVGjr
01-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Good to hear we've got another development coach - going on some of Eade's earlier comments it seemed a probability, not a certainty.

Does anyone know if they are full-time or part-time positions?

The Barnes position is part time and Dalrymples full time from what I know.

Raw Toast
01-11-2007, 10:44 PM
The Barnes position is part time and Dalrymples full time from what I know.

Thanks.

If one of them was part time I'd prefer it was the ruck coach rather than the development coach.

Will Barnes be our runner as well? :) Actually makes more sense to have a development guy like Dalrymple doing it, like Misfud did.

GVGjr
01-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks.

If one of them was part time I'd prefer it was the ruck coach rather than the development coach.

Will Barnes be our runner as well? :) Actually makes more sense to have a development guy like Dalrymple doing it, like Misfud did.

They are putting a lot of faith in Gotch by having this position report to him.

mjp
01-11-2007, 11:19 PM
They are putting a lot of faith in Gotch by having this position report to him.

He is up to it. Gotch is a very good one-on-one communicator and pretty straight down the line as a coach...

Raw Toast
02-11-2007, 12:00 AM
They are putting a lot of faith in Gotch by having this position report to him....

Seems like there's been a fair bit of thought and planning into trying to make Williamstown as close as possible into the reserves team you have when you can't afford to field your own.

It's certainly an ambitious set-up. Does Gotch get judged more on the development of Bulldog players, or on the performance of Willi? Obviously both are going to be important to him, but I'd assume there will be times when he's going to be at least a bit conflicted.

We want Gotch's priority to be the development of Bulldogs players so it probably makes sense to sure that up further by getting Dalrymple to report to him.

He is up to it. Gotch is a very good one-on-one communicator and pretty straight down the line as a coach...

Do you think there was any truth in the reported claims that Collingwood downplayed the importance of Gotch and Willi in the development of their kids this year (and the last few years), and over-played the role of Richardson and Scott?

I hope so because we seem to rate Gotch pretty highly.

Dry Rot
02-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Everything I've read about us re-aligning with Willi has been positive - I hope this translates into better development of our youngsters. And re our young talls, there's no Pods.

GVGjr
02-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Everything I've read about us re-aligning with Willi has been positive - I hope this translates into better development of our youngsters. And re our young talls, there's no Pods.

I'm not keen on having Ghazi as the reserves coach in fact I'm far from happy about it.

Sockeye Salmon
02-11-2007, 01:17 AM

I'm glad to hear that.

I must say I was worried that our development coach came from an Auskick background. I know we want to identify talent young but that's a bit over the top.

mjp
02-11-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm not keen on having Ghazi as the reserves coach in fact I'm far from happy about it.

I dont like this either. I (Port Melbourne fans will hate this) don't actually mind Ghazi as a coach, but he is too focussed on winning for what is effectively a development role in a development competition...or perhaps he has changed?

I also know he wasn't the first choice.

Bulldog Revolution
02-11-2007, 09:20 AM
The Dalrymple appointment sounds a good one to me - I dont think we need a high profile name, we just need an expert in skill/player development, and if Dalrymples it then all well and good.

Collingwood really seemed to have played down the role of Gotch and Willi in their player development. Alan Richardson never impressed me greatly when he was with us. And its hard to know how much a first year coach Brad Scott can be credited with improvements.

Barnes was a smart player and a smart arse - I cant say its an appointment that appeals to me greatly

Saade is seems keen to coach, has coached DVFL, VFL etc but has ruffled AFL feathers before (North)- hopefully Dalrymple and Gotch can help him improve on his weaknesses.

GVGjr
02-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I dont like this either. I (Port Melbourne fans will hate this) don't actually mind Ghazi as a coach, but he is too focussed on winning for what is effectively a development role in a development competition...or perhaps he has changed?

I also know he wasn't the first choice.

From what I know Ghazi has a bad habit of dividing the players within his charge into two groups and you are either in favour or out of favour. Those who are on the outer are rarely acknowledged and often they become very alienated.

I saw a fair bit of Kretiuk in action this year and I'd have to say I'd prefer to see him having looking after the 2nds.

It really will be a good test of Gotch to make sure the group is being well managed.

Mantis
02-11-2007, 09:42 AM
It really will be a good test of Gotch to make sure the group is being well managed.

And I'm sure that his position description would include this OR it should. All the staff working in the development of the Bulldog players should be working together and it's Eade's and Gotch's job to make sure it is occuring.