PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 22 vs Sydney Swans

Eastdog
15-08-2014, 12:27 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 22 game against Sydney Swans at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure anything can make a difference, but more tall defenders please.

G-Mo77
17-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure anything can make a difference, but more tall defenders please.

Fletcher Roberts. Even if he's not ready the other option is Austin. Maybe they want Roberts to play in a successful side? :)

comrade
17-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Time to give either Roughy or Austin a spell and bring in Roberts/Talia.

Austin was horrid at times today, by foot, falling over, out positioned. Wasn't playing on a gun either.

Minson is hanging on by the skin of his teeth, too. Campbell is a much better tap ruck man.

Gia is well and truly cooked.

OUT: Austin, Gia, Grant

IN: Roberts, Macrae, Honeychurch

bornadog
17-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Buddy and Tippet who picks them up?

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-08-2014, 05:17 PM

BAD you forgot Goodes and Reid?

always right
17-08-2014, 05:18 PM
In.....Macrae
Out....Grant

G-Mo77
17-08-2014, 05:21 PM

They may as well sit this game out and let their under studies kick a bag each.

Dry Rot
17-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Austin on Buddy will be fun to watch.

Greystache
17-08-2014, 05:42 PM
In- Roberts, Talia, Cordy, Young, Gia

Out- Roughead, Austin, Minson, Grant, Macrae

Roughead looks done for the season. Austin is making is unbalanced by being a key defender sort. Minson is a liability, and Grant shouldn't have got a game.

We're going to get a belting next week, we may as well get belted playing what might be our spine in future.

Remi Moses
17-08-2014, 05:45 PM
In - the red guernsey again( might confuse them )

Remi Moses
17-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Time to give either Roughy or Austin a spell and bring in Roberts/Talia.

Austin was horrid at times today, by foot, falling over, out positioned. Wasn't playing on a gun either.

Minson is hanging on by the skin of his teeth, too. Campbell is a much better tap ruck man.

Gia is well and truly cooked.

OUT: Austin, Gia, Grant

IN: Roberts, Macrae, Honeychurch

Same here

azabob
17-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Really clutching at straws who to bring in.

Six changes is way too many to make but we need to bring in some key defenders and also some players with will get their hands dirty, which will be needed against Sydney.

IN: Cordy, Young, Roberts, Jong, MaCrae, Honeychurch

OUT: Minson, Austin, Higgins, Hunter, Grant, Gia

Minson will most likely be suspended and if not I'd consider bringing Cordy in for him regardless. What else do we have to lose?

Roberts in for Austin

Young in to try and give support to the defence

Jong & Honeychurch to bring in some hardworking defensive pressure - They replace Higgins and Gia.

Was really disappointed with Hunters kick for goal today - should be dropped for that act alone.

MaCrae if fit in for Grant.

bornadog
17-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Really clutching at straws who to bring in.

Six changes is way too many to make but we need to bring in some key defenders and also some players with will get their hands dirty, which will be needed against Sydney.

IN: Cordy, Young, Roberts, Jong, MaCrae, Honeychurch

OUT: Minson, Austin, Higgins, Hunter, Grant, Gia

Minson will most likely be suspended and if not I'd consider bringing Cordy in for him regardless. What else do we have to lose?

Roberts in for Austin

Young in to try and give support to the defence

Jong & Honeychurch to bring in some hardworking defensive pressure - They replace Higgins and Gia.

Was really disappointed with Hunters kick for goal today - should be dropped for that act alone.

MaCrae if fit in for Grant.

Why would you drop Higgins when he was one of our better players? He went off with a shoulder injury, so that may keep him out.

azabob
17-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Why would you drop Higgins when he was one of our better players? He went off with a shoulder injury, so that may keep him out.

I don't think he uses it well enough - and that is his role. I strongly doubt he will influence the game next week.

His first kick of the game when we had a chance to go inside 50 he turns it over, and then we don't get another chance to score for nearly an entire quarter.

F'scary
17-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Let's face it, Higgins plays best when a fair wind is blowing. I don't think next week will quite be his scene.

soupman
17-08-2014, 08:10 PM
This is the week that the Cordy Campbell combination is given an opportunity at senior level I think.

Not sure on the rest of the changes but I am expecting to see Cordy in for Minson.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2014, 08:48 PM
This is the week that the Cordy Campbell combination is given an opportunity at senior level I think.

Not sure on the rest of the changes but I am expecting to see Cordy in for Minson.

Would be good to see this.

I've seen Cordy a few times lately and whilst I have been his biggest critic, he's played some strong footy deserving of a game.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-08-2014, 09:04 PM
I don't think I will be watching next week. Its got that "Buddy" feeling all over it

IN: Cordy, Roberts, MaCrae, Honeychurch (if MaCrae is no good Tommy Young comes in)

OUT: Minson, Austin, Grant, Gia

I'd be happy with only a 10 goal loss at this point.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-08-2014, 09:45 PM
I don't think I will be watching next week. Its got that "Buddy" feeling all over it

IN: Cordy, Roberts, MaCrae, Honeychurch (if MaCrae is no good Tommy Young comes in)

OUT: Minson, Austin, Grant, Gia

I'd be happy with only a 10 goal loss at this point.
I like your thoughts but would think that the MC will retain Minson at the expense of Campbell. I would make a further change by replacing Darley with Young. Given our poor performance today, I would think that 5 changes is not unreasonable. Jong is another that should come under consideration as you know he will give 100% which was sadly lacking today.

Go_Dogs
17-08-2014, 11:27 PM
It's going to be a tough week at MC, but I'd be looking at doing the following:-

Ins:
Cordy, Young, Roberts, Macrae, Hrovat

Outs:
Minson, Austin, Grant, Giansiracusa, Hunter

Roughead to Tippett, Roberts to Reid, Young to Goodes and poor old Moz to Buddy.

Hrovat and Macrae to provide more run and spread, with better entries into the F50.

Minson may not be what gets done, but I'd like to see the Campbell/Cordy combination for a game - this week is a tough assignment regardless and I don't see any reason not to do it.

GVGjr
17-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I like the changes Griff. I might have Tutt if Hrovat doesn't come up.

Go_Dogs
17-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I like the changes Griff. I might have Tutt if Hrovat doesn't come up.

Agree with that, Tutt appears to have been in good form and can fill a similar role. He's become a bit of a forgotten man.

Twodogs
18-08-2014, 12:38 AM
I like your thoughts but would think that the MC will retain Minson at the expense of Campbell. I would make a further change by replacing Darley with Young. Given our poor performance today, I would think that 5 changes is not unreasonable. Jong is another that should come under consideration as you know he will give 100% which was sadly lacking today.

Darley would be stiff to miss out. I thought he did some good things today. But then again I'd like to see Young come in. Maybe Young for Higgins?

LostDoggy
18-08-2014, 08:23 AM
In Cordy, Roberts, MaCrae
Out Minson or Campbell (toss the coin), Austin, Gia

Mantis
18-08-2014, 09:17 AM

His ball use by hand & foot was utterly disgusting... That's a good reason to drop him.

Mantis
18-08-2014, 09:44 AM
It's going to be a tough week at MC, but I'd be looking at doing the following:-

Ins:
Cordy, Young, Roberts, Macrae, Hrovat

Outs:
Minson, Austin, Grant, Giansiracusa, Hunter

Roughead to Tippett, Roberts to Reid, Young to Goodes and poor old Moz to Buddy.

Hrovat and Macrae to provide more run and spread, with better entries into the F50.

Minson may not be what gets done, but I'd like to see the Campbell/Cordy combination for a game - this week is a tough assignment regardless and I don't see any reason not to do it.

I know we are flogging a dead horse, but is time to throw this job to someone else? Dale is a warrior, and will try his guts out, but he doesn't have the tools to stop Buddy and whilst others don't either perhaps a tough day learning on the job for one of our young defenders could be beneficial in years to come.

bornadog
18-08-2014, 10:10 AM
His ball use by hand & foot was utterly disgusting... That's a good reason to drop him.

Wasn't the only one but no mention of them.

Mantis
18-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Wasn't the only one but no mention of them.

There were 5 other players that were being omitted from his team.. How many more should he have listed?

LostDoggy
18-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Our extremely poor performance in the AFL this weekend may cost us a home final in the VFL...

Looks as though a few changes will be made. Which will hurt Footscray.

Go_Dogs
18-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I know we are flogging a dead horse, but is time to throw this job to someone else? Dale is a warrior, and will try his guts out, but he doesn't have the tools to stop Buddy and whilst others don't either perhaps a tough day learning on the job for one of our young defenders could be beneficial in years to come.

We don't have anyone else that will do as good a job. Roughead and Roberts not quick enough and better suited elsewhere, Austin nowhere near good enough, Young a fair way off it, Talia not in good enough form to deserve a promotion.

Jones is perhaps someone with the speed and leap but I don't think he ended up playing back in the VFL (could be wrong) and in any event his first key defender assignment as Buddy would be a mare.

Who would you suggest?

SlimPickens
18-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Our extremely poor performance in the AFL this weekend may cost us a home final in the VFL...

Looks as though a few changes will be made. Which will hurt Footscray.

We play Richmond in our last game, and beat them by 116pts last start. I don't think it will do such a thing.

jeemak
18-08-2014, 11:45 AM

I think he suffered a lot from being one of only a few players actually trying to create and get the ball moving. This is the case most weeks and it can have a negative impact on his disposal output.

Sometimes he takes it a bit far, and he did this a couple of times yesterday.

bornadog
18-08-2014, 12:04 PM
There were 5 other players that were being omitted from his team.. How many more should he have listed?

Take it this way, Higgins wasn't our worse player on the day, and he won't be dropped.

Mantis
18-08-2014, 01:36 PM
We don't have anyone else that will do as good a job. Roughead and Roberts not quick enough and better suited elsewhere, Austin nowhere near good enough, Young a fair way off it, Talia not in good enough form to deserve a promotion.

Jones is perhaps someone with the speed and leap but I don't think he ended up playing back in the VFL (could be wrong) and in any event his first key defender assignment as Buddy would be a mare.

Who would you suggest?

I would rather him kick 8 on Roberts than 8 on Morris... Morris at his peak was proven to be too small so I don't see the point of trying again.. It's time to give these jobs to someone else.

Without knowing Sydney might look to rest either Goodes or Tippett this week which will change the dynamics.

jeemak
18-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Morris doesn't have the reach the get around Franklin to spoil on the lead, though if the ball was plonked on Franklin's head then Morris probably can defend against that.

The team basically needs to block the space available to Franklin this week, which will be a little bit easier to do at Docklands compared to the G.

Go_Dogs
18-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I would rather him kick 8 on Roberts than 8 on Morris... Morris at his peak was proven to be too small so I don't see the point of trying again.. It's time to give these jobs to someone else.

Without knowing Sydney might look to rest either Goodes or Tippett this week which will change the dynamics.

I'd be concerned any confidence Roberts has been building would be instantly lost.

As you say, if they elect to rest one it might change it a bit. Whoever it ends up being will need some assistance from a 3rd man up.

Sedat
18-08-2014, 04:30 PM
The team basically needs to block the space available to Franklin this week, which will be a little bit easier to do at Docklands compared to the G.
Missed the game yesterday (didn't miss much by the sounds), but the best way to beat Franklin is to make sure it hardly goes down there. We would need to beat Sydney in CP's and clearances by a massive margin to have any hope of containing their forward line. And despite Kennedy being out injured, they still bat more than deep enough in the midfield to supply their forwards with more than enough opps to kick a big score.

Agree that we shouldn't see Morris on Buddy - what is the point? And I don't buy the "protect the youngster" BS argument either.

bornadog
18-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Missed the game yesterday (didn't miss much by the sounds), but the best way to beat Franklin is to make sure it hardly goes down there. We would need to beat Sydney in CP's and clearances by a massive margin to have any hope of containing their forward line. And despite Kennedy being out injured, they still bat more than deep enough in the midfield to supply their forwards with more than enough opps to kick a big score.

Agree that we shouldn't see Morris on Buddy - what is the point? And I don't buy the "protect the youngster" BS argument either.

biggest issue yesterday was centre clearances. Although Libba is good at stoppages his centre clearance work needs lift. I think he has been down generally for a few weeks.

jeemak
18-08-2014, 04:46 PM
biggest issue yesterday was centre clearances. Although Libba is good at stoppages his centre clearance work needs lift. I think he has been down generally for a few weeks.

Some of our clearance work was just terrible yesterday.

It wasn't just issue of losing them when we did, it was the consequences of losing them. We got smashed on the spread at times.

westdog54
18-08-2014, 04:51 PM
While I can certainly understand the calls for Roberts, Young and Talia to come in I am wondering if part of their development is to keep them plaing together at Footscray so that they learn to play together as a unit. We will have a pretty rapid generational change once Morris and Murphy call it a day so these guys need to be ready to go fairly quickly, possibly as soon as the end of next year.

Austin on the other hand, seems to not be in long term plans of many on here yet has had an extended run in the seniors. Has may weaknesses but has performed ably. Am I cynical in thinking he's being used as cannon-fodder in the seniors while these guys develop their game?

Having said that, however, I can't help but think we need one more tall this week.

Ozza
18-08-2014, 05:05 PM
IN: Roberts; Jones; Macrae; Young
Out: Austin; Campbell; Grant; Higgins/Darley (either).

Would be happy to see Tutt play if one of the smaller types don't come up.

Remi Moses
18-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Hope Darley keeps his place.

bornadog
18-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Jong and Cordy were very good yesterday according to a mate who went down there to watch the full game. They should also come into consideration

bornadog
18-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Some of our clearance work was just terrible yesterday.

It wasn't just issue of losing them when we did, it was the consequences of losing them. We got smashed on the spread at times.

Looks like Josh Kennedy will be out for a week.

always right
18-08-2014, 06:00 PM
One from left field. Any value in elevating Jones to play on Buddy? Immediate reaction is that it would be a lamb to the slaughter but he has the height and pace to go with him...certainly not the tank nor the the defensive skills. Would he benefit from seeing first hand how hard a topline forward works?

I'm not necessarily advocating this but is there any merit or is there a risk that it would decimate whatever skerrick of self confidence Jones might have? Another view is that it would be seen as a slap in the face for the young defenders who have been performing well at Footscray.

Just spitballing.

Ozza
18-08-2014, 06:16 PM

We only lost centre clearances by 1. And scored from clearances as much as North did.

Whereas we lost in the scores from turnovers column by about 9 goals. Ball use and generally the lack of ability to link up was the biggest issue.

In saying that - North defended the ground well. They are a good side when the 'good North' turns up.

GVGjr
18-08-2014, 08:08 PM
One from left field. Any value in elevating Jones to play on Buddy? Immediate reaction is that it would be a lamb to the slaughter but he has the height and pace to go with him...certainly not the tank nor the the defensive skills. Would he benefit from seeing first hand how hard a topline forward works?

I'm not necessarily advocating this but is there any merit or is there a risk that it would decimate whatever skerrick of self confidence Jones might have? Another view is that it would be seen as a slap in the face for the young defenders who have been performing well at Footscray.

Just spitballing.

I don't mind it. I floated the idea of using Redpath as a CHB a couple of weeks back.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-08-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm not against the notion, but only if Jones were to be given prior game time in the VFL as a defender. I don't think he or the club gain much by him playing as a defender without some prior grounding in the role, and with the added pressure of playing on the form forward in the competition.

JohnGentStand
18-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Ins: Hrovat, Macrae, Young (Tutt if Hrovat doesnt come up)
Outs: Darley, Gia, JJ.

Would also consider dropping Grant for Jones but I hate seeing guys get a '1 week' promotion.

bornadog
19-08-2014, 12:18 AM

Would also consider dropping Grant for Jones but I hate seeing guys get a '1 week' promotion.

I like your thinking, but we maynot drop both JJ and Darley, it will only be one of them.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Not sure this is in anyones interest, Big Boy Buddy and the Swans might see it as a "Case of disrespect" and really put us to the sword.

The Underdog
19-08-2014, 08:58 AM

But it's ok for Gia?
I'm not sure which way they'll go this week, but I think injuries will largely dictate the changes. I expect the match committee to largely stick with experience i.e. Minson, Roughy, Austin. Be surprised if they threw Roberts in vs Tippett or Franklin. Not saying that's the right way to go but it seems to be the way they are running at the moment.

always right
19-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Reckon they'll be looking for a real contested effort this week. Wouldn't surprise to see Jong come in and run with Jack. Picken to pick up McGlynn.

Mantis
19-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Reckon they'll be looking for a real contested effort this week. Wouldn't surprise to see Jong come in and run with Jack. Picken to pick up McGlynn.

Agree with the first one, we have missed an in close checker since Wallis got injured.. I have Picken going to either McGlynn, Parker or Jetta.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Agree with the first one, we have missed an in close checker since Wallis got injured.. I have Picken going to either McGlynn, Parker or Jetta.

I can see the logic behind Jong getting a game this week, my only concern would be how well he'll do the job and that we will lose another spot to a player with limited offensive ability. That being said, it may be a good opportunity to have another look at Jong whose future still remains unclear for mine.

Mantis
19-08-2014, 01:25 PM
I can see the logic behind Jong getting a game this week, my only concern would be how well he'll do the job and that we will lose another spot to a player with limited offensive ability. That being said, it may be a good opportunity to have another look at Jong whose future still remains unclear for mine.

Agree on both counts, but he is mini Wallis clone and we are lacking hard-bodies at the coal-face.

azabob
19-08-2014, 01:26 PM

Sunday night I called for Jong to come in (mind you I dropped over quarter of the team). He is 100% committed and he can hit the scoreboard running the other way which is a big plus.

Ozza
19-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Word from the VFL game was that Jong was 'dominant' and a stand out. He has had a really solid run of form, and brings some good legspeed into the mix. Although I'm not 100% sold on him - happy to see his good form and improvement rewarded.

LostDoggy
19-08-2014, 05:29 PM

According to Longmire earlier in the week, McGlynn is highly unlikely to front up this weekend. Which is handy..

lemmon
19-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Word from the VFL game was that Jong was 'dominant' and a stand out. He has had a really solid run of form, and brings some good legspeed into the mix. Although I'm not 100% sold on him - happy to see his good form and improvement rewarded.

What does he bring to the side though? We already have enough guys who butcher it by foot or make poor decisions. Any midfield role is taken by Boyd, Picken and Wallis when he's back in defensive roles, to go with our other myriad of inside mids. I know he's been discussed to death but unless he can perhaps become a small defender (questionable with his kicking) or a defensive forward I don't see his role going forward. Too many young guys playing the same role who are far cleaner.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-08-2014, 10:39 PM
I would throw caution to the wind this week by exposing both Cordy and Roberts against top opposition in the Sydney Swans. They would replace Campbell and Austin who were both very poor against North. Macrae and Hrovat become automatic inclusions and I believe that without Wallis that Jong has earned a recall. Grant didn't impress and doesn't deserve to be retained. Hunter showed a lack of pace and to me Hrovat is a better option. I would leave Gia out also and bring him back for a farewell game against GWS.
B Johannisen Roughead Morris
HB Darley Roberts Murphy
C. Macrae Griffen Jong
HF Dahlhaus Crameri Bontempelli
F. Hrovat Stringer Cordy
R Minson Picken Liberatore
Int Higgins Stevens Cooney Boyd
Emerg Honeychurch Young Tutt
In Roberts Cordy Jong Hrovat Macrae
Out Campbell Austin Gia Grant Hunter

GVGjr
19-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Nice selections NBP. I think you are one tall defender light though. Franklin, Tippet, Goodes and Reid can't be covered by Morris, Roughead, Roberts and Murphy

Remi Moses
20-08-2014, 01:22 AM
What does he bring to the side though? We already have enough guys who butcher it by foot or make poor decisions. Any midfield role is taken by Boyd, Picken and Wallis when he's back in defensive roles, to go with our other myriad of inside mids. I know he's been discussed to death but unless he can perhaps become a small defender (questionable with his kicking) or a defensive forward I don't see his role going forward. Too many young guys playing the same role who are far cleaner.

We've got to many average kicks in the side already. Unfortunately Lin's the same sort of player we already have.

Mantis
20-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Nice selections NBP. I think you are one tall defender light though. Franklin, Tippet, Goodes and Reid can't be covered by Morris, Roughead, Roberts and Murphy

Are all of those 4 guranteed to play?

Agree in a sense, but we were happy to start Murphy on Black this week so why would our mentality change?

always right
20-08-2014, 08:50 AM
All eyes on Picken this week. I expect one of the umpires will run with him.

The Underdog
20-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Are all of those 4 guranteed to play?

Agree in a sense, but we were happy to start Murphy on Black this week so why would our mentality change?

There's been mention of Tippett being rested.

lemmon
20-08-2014, 11:15 AM

Agree with this, have watched Sydney a bit this year and they are masters at creating the mismatch on whichever smaller opponent has to play tall. I would put my house on whoever Roughy is sent to taking the space up the ground, dragging him out and leaving Wood/Murphy isolated on Goodes/Reid. They'd be tempted to even clear it all out for Buddy and stick it on his and Morris' heads one out. This is a week I wouldn't mind seeing us start with a loose man back, we simply don't have the cattle on the list to match up with all four if they play.

Mantis
20-08-2014, 11:27 AM
This is a week I wouldn't mind seeing us start with a loose man back, we simply don't have the cattle on the list to match up with all four if they play.

Who plays that role for us?

lemmon
20-08-2014, 11:46 AM

It's a type of player we lack unfortunately. If Murphy get's free he's most suited, otherwise Wood at least has the athleticism in the air to compete. Even Bontempelli has the tools to do it quite well I'd suggest. No doubt we need to look at a Josh Gibson type defender in this draft or the next.

Bulldog4life
20-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Agree with this, have watched Sydney a bit this year and they are masters at creating the mismatch on whichever smaller opponent has to play tall. I would put my house on whoever Roughy is sent to taking the space up the ground, dragging him out and leaving Wood/Murphy isolated on Goodes/Reid. They'd be tempted to even clear it all out for Buddy and stick it on his and Morris' heads one out. This is a week I wouldn't mind seeing us start with a loose man back, we simply don't have the cattle on the list to match up with all four if they play.

Wood is out for the year.

Ozza
20-08-2014, 12:42 PM
This is a week I wouldn't mind seeing us start with a loose man back, we simply don't have the cattle on the list to match up with all four if they play.

Its a bit of a dual edged sword against Sydney. They are extremely good off half back and launch a lot of their attacks from there, so you don't want to give them too much space there either.

Either way, they probably have too many weapons for us, but my preference would be to focus on increasing our pressure around the ball carriers so that the supply to the big forwards is impeded.

In a lot of areas we potentially match up poorly with Sydney, however Kennedy being out and our theoretical edge in the ruck against Pyke (yes yes...I said theoretical given the poor form of Minson) gives us a chance to win the clearances/contested footy.

LostDoggy
20-08-2014, 01:00 PM

I think this is a position Tom Young can make his own this weekend. He's been in good form back at Footscray, and definitely plays his best footy when allowed to go for the ball (still got a bit of work to do re holding a man down back). He has some reasonably classy run and carry when he gets the pill, and generally uses it pretty well.

Sedat
20-08-2014, 01:49 PM
It's a type of player we lack unfortunately. If Murphy get's free he's most suited, otherwise Wood at least has the athleticism in the air to compete. Even Bontempelli has the tools to do it quite well I'd suggest. No doubt we need to look at a Josh Gibson type defender in this draft or the next.
He has the tools to be able to do anything ;)

The Pie Man
20-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I've backed Austin in since his elevation to the senior list, but I can't deny he was really poor on Sunday.
I'd still pick him this week though and give him a crack at Buddy - I know he'll more than likely get slaughtered, but he's probably the most athletic tall defender we have now Williams is gone (having said that, we know Morris will get the job don't we?)
I wouldn't be against trying Liam Jones on him either (not that his limited exposure to that half of the ground has been great - I wish his last quarter against Adelaide earlier this year was more forgettable)

Hotdog60
20-08-2014, 06:17 PM
I'll throw it out there could we use Redpath as a defender. I believe he played that role when we were tied to Williamstown.
Has strength and is quick over 20 metres.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2014, 06:28 PM
I'll throw it out there could we use Redpath as a defender. I believe he played that role when we were tied to Williamstown.
Has strength and is quick over 20 metres.

Given he's been forward lately, it's probably not something I'd consider this week but I don't mind the suggestion.

Hypothetically, who would you play him on?

Hotdog60
20-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Given he's been forward lately, it's probably not something I'd consider this week but I don't mind the suggestion.

Hypothetically, who would you play him on?

My first thought was Buddy but I think he would get ran into the ground. I was following on with maybe the spare man in defence with the instruction to block the holes so our main defenders can compete man on man as much as possible.

The Pie Man
21-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Saw on the club twitter account this excerpt from Macca's presser this morning

'We've been pretty good at nullifying the oppositions main goalkicker, we've got another challenge with Buddy this week.'

That's not even remotely the case - why would he say such a thing?

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 02:03 PM

'We've been pretty good at nullifying the oppositions main goalkicker, we've got another challenge with Buddy this week.'

He actually said "we have been okay at nullifying the oppositions main goalkicker, especially the last 2 weeks" obviously referring to Rewoildt and Petrie who kicked 3 between them in that time. But go back any further than that and it starts looking ugly.

With team selection this week, going by the presser, I would say Macrae and Hrovat are certainties and the backline won't be changing at all unless Wood is fit and ready to go.

I'm guessing:

In: Macrae, Hrovat
Out: Grant, Hunter

Greystache
21-08-2014, 02:04 PM

If what we've seen is "nullifying", then god help us if one of them gets away from us!!

bornadog
21-08-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm guessing:

In: Macrae, Hrovat
Out: Grant, Hunter

Other than not kicking a goal, I thought Hunter was pretty good and will be unlucky to be dropped.
Selction is going to be interesting this week.

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Other than not kicking a goal, I thought Hunter was pretty good and will be unlucky to be dropped.
Selction is going to be interesting this week.

Agree he would be unlucky and I would much prefer keep him in the side. But with Macca suggesting some young guys are looking tired, i suspect Hunter might be one of those he is referring to.

bornadog
21-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Agree he would be unlucky and I would much prefer keep him in the side. But with Macca suggesting some young guys are looking tired, i suspect Hunter might be one of those he is referring to.

I listened to the press conference and sounds like no changes in the backline.

always right
21-08-2014, 05:06 PM
If what we've seen is "nullifying", then god help us if one of them gets away from us!!

They made reference to the last two weeks...Riewoldt and Petrie.

Remi Moses
21-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Petrie missed a few goals late ( got that charity on half time)
Mids and forwards have to work harder in transition or we will get pole axed by their key forwards.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-08-2014, 05:10 PM
I listened to the press conference and sounds like no changes in the backline.

It is hard to believe that we would retain the same defence given the 50 point defeat and poor games by both Roughy and Austin.
Murphy was really the only one of our back line that was good on the day.

Remi Moses
21-08-2014, 05:12 PM
It is hard to believe that we would retain the same defence given the 50 point defeat and poor games by both Roughy and Austin.
Murphy was really the only one of our back line that was good on the day.

Why wouldn't Roberts get a gig?

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Why wouldn't Roberts get a gig?

I did say on a previous thread that Roberts and Cordy should be exposed to ascertain if in fact they are good enough to match it with the best in the Sydney Swans. We could say the same about Jong now that Wallis is out for the year. There is little to lose by experimenting at this stage of the season.

G-Mo77
21-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Minson dropped!

Go_Dogs
21-08-2014, 07:31 PM
In
Jack Macrae,
Jason Tutt,
Nathan Hrovat,
Lin Jong,
Ayce Cordy

Out
Jarrad Grant (Omitted),
Will Minson (Omitted)

Go_Dogs
21-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Minson dropped!

I'm looking forward to seeing Cordy get a game this week, so don't mind it.

I wonder if Minson will play VFL or if he'll have a week off?

GVGjr
21-08-2014, 07:35 PM
In
Jack Macrae,
Jason Tutt,
Nathan Hrovat,
Lin Jong,
Ayce Cordy

Out
Jarrad Grant (Omitted),
Will Minson (Omitted)

I'm not sure what else Young or Roberts could have done to get a game. In my opinion, we needed to play both of them after good VFL performances and given how tall the Swans can load up.

G-Mo77

I'm fine with it as well. I really think we needed to rest Will at stages this year because of the workload he's had to carry as well as getting first ruck duties to one of our developing rucks. Seems a little odd to leave it so late though.

I'm not sure what else Young or Roberts could have done to get a game. In my opinion, we needed to play both of them after good VFL performances and given how tall the Swans can load up.

I hear you on Roberts. There is a genuine need for him to play for this team. Young I see no spot for at all which I have gone over many times. My gut say his papers have been stamped unofficially.

Hotdog60
Who will ruck in the VFL?

I'm not up with the part timers.

If not Will the Redpath, Roberts or Jones.

Go_Dogs
21-08-2014, 07:39 PM

Agree, I thought both would be in the frame for selection this week, pretty surprised to be honest but it simply means we'll again be undersized and our mids are going to have to work back very hard given the quality of the Swans midfield to (hopefully) prevent too many easy entries.

I'm fine with it as well. I really think we needed to rest Will at stages this year because of the workload he's had to carry as well as getting first ruck duties to one of our developing rucks. Seems a little odd to leave it so late though.

Agree with that, strange it has come so late but perhaps we were wanting to wait for Cordy to build some really strong form, and weren't confident to rest Will for Campbell earlier in the year having to use Jones/Redpath to chop out.

G-Mo77
21-08-2014, 07:42 PM

There is another guy there. Impressive player as well from what I've seen and reports I've read. Be dammed if I can remember his name though

GVGjr
21-08-2014, 07:44 PM

Minson should play but failing that the 3 boys you have mentioned.

comrade
21-08-2014, 07:49 PM
To our defenders: Godspeed.

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Genuinely excited to see Cordy in the side, hopefully he gets a couple weeks at it. No disrespect to Minno, just like players getting a good go once elevated.

Grant..... It's not looking good my friend

azabob
21-08-2014, 07:55 PM

But the question is what level will you se Cordy at?

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Quick question, has Stringers partner had the bub yet????

Remi Moses
21-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Good to see Cordy get a gig
Surprised neither Roberts or Young got a look.
I think we should have a group prayer session for our defenders.

G-Mo77
21-08-2014, 08:06 PM

Nope. Still waiting.....

Axe Man
21-08-2014, 08:06 PM
There is another guy there. Impressive player as well from what I've seen and reports I've read. Be dammed if I can remember his name though

Darcy Fort might be who you are thinking of. He has been named in the Footscray squad this week.

G-Mo77
21-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Darcy Fort might be who you are thinking of. He has been named in the Footscray squad this week.

That's the one, thanks. I kept thinking Prato but he was gone long ago.

F'scary
21-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Our backline talls: Roughead - looks like he has been playing injured for weeks now. Austin - honest plodder. Morris - veteran being asked to play above his height and weight week in week out.

Sydney Swans forward talls: Goodes, Tippett, Franklin, Reid.

Roberts in the least should be in the team.

westdog54
21-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Stunned that Will has been dropped but so glad we get to see how Campbell and Cordy go as a combo.

Greystache
21-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Logical outs but we still look light in defence. Hopefully Roberts gets a chance at some stage. As much as I don't hold out great hopes for Ayce it'll be good to see him in tandem with Campbell.

josie
21-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Does anyone else think Gia might be a late change?

That is Cordy in for Minson, Macrae in for Grant and either Tutt or Hrovat instead of Gia?

The Underdog
21-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Does anyone else think Gia might be a late change?

That is Cordy in for Minson, Macrae in for Grant and either Tutt or Hrovat instead of Gia?

No, I reckon Gia is getting the farewell tour. Not necessarily picked on form, but gets a game ahead of a younger guy for the final 3 weeks.

westdog54
21-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Stunned that Will has been dropped but so glad we get to see how Campbell and Cordy go as a combo.

SlimPickens
21-08-2014, 09:00 PM

Why stunned? His form in the last couple suggested he was struggling, think it makes sense personally. Ayce and Tom deserve a chance as the ruck/forward duo.

Maddog37
21-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Suggestions on BF that Minno has a hammy.

westdog54
21-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Why stunned? His form in the last couple suggested he was struggling, think it makes sense personally. Ayce and Tom deserve a chance as the ruck/forward duo.

Stunned because he's been named to play VFL. He needs a rest more than anything.

SlimPickens
21-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Stunned because he's been named to play VFL. He needs a rest more than anything.

Would you then put him out to pasture for the season or let him walk back into the team next week with questionable form?

divvydan
21-08-2014, 10:31 PM

Baby arrived into the world this evening. Baby girl, named Milla Jane Maree Stringer.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvjuxUbCMAA2ZF2.jpg

Go_Dogs
21-08-2014, 10:46 PM
But the question is what level will you se Cordy at?

I'm not expecting a dominate performance from him, but looking forward to seeing the combination work at senior level.

Hopefully he contests well, snares a couple of marks and does a bit around the ground.

Ozza
21-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Glad to see Campbell & Sticks as a combo this week. Will has been well down on form for a long while and survived longer than he possibly should have due to his runs on the board. Good opportunity vs Pyke and either Nankervis or Tippett - to test out the duo.

lemmon
22-08-2014, 02:31 AM
Will be interesting to see how they split the ruck/forward time between the two C's. Could a more committed Footscray watcher let me in on how it's generally worked at VFL level?

azabob
22-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Just a side note Cordy still hasn't been officially named, he may still miss out. Unlikely, but possible.

G-Mo77
22-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Just a side note Cordy still hasn't been officially named, he may still miss out. Unlikely, but possible.

Been thinking the same thing Aza.

always right
22-08-2014, 09:49 AM
I'd be staggered if he doesn't play. Can't see Campbell being able to ruck all game and there is no back-up if Cordy doesn't play. And don't tell me Roughead or Austin can pinch hit.....I think they are going to have their hands full.

bornadog
22-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Macca said yesterday Macrae and Hrovat will be back this week. I agree Cordy must play as Campbell isn't good enough to ruck the whole game. Therefore another player will be omitted. Who will it be?

EasternWest
22-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Awesome. Thanks divvydan.

The Underdog
22-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Macca said yesterday Macrae and Hrovat will be back this week. I agree Cordy must play as Campbell isn't good enough to ruck the whole game. Therefore another player will be omitted. Who will it be?

Kind of expecting it to be Darley to be honest. I actually wouldn't mind Tutt getting another shot but I'd be surprised if they made that many changes with Macrae and Hrovat already into the squad, although Hunter, Hrovat and Gia in the same squad may not go.

Mofra
22-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Kind of expecting it to be Darley to be honest. I actually wouldn't mind Tutt getting another shot but I'd be surprised if they made that many changes with Macrae and Hrovat already into the squad, although Hunter, Hrovat and Gia in the same squad may not go.
Me too, although to would be a shame. He seems the type that will grow into his role in time.
His low sharp kicks offer a point of difference over most of our list; god knows we can use an extra player with good footskills in the side

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 10:04 AM
There's driving a meassge, then there's driving confusion.

Which do you think the match committee are showing to the tall defenders in the VFL?

Roughead has struggled with injury and consistency since he came back from his shoulder injury - which clearly hasn't healed/and or is constantly getting knocked. Austin has his backers and knockers. I'm more in the latter camp.

What do Young, Roberts and Talia have to do to get a game? While not all three are at their peak week in, week out in the VFL, the same can be said for the two in the senior side.

Who'll play on Buddy? I can only see Morris being able to stay with him, moreso than Roughy. Tippett should be far too strong for Roughy also. Austin will take the third in Goodes/resting rucks/Reid.

The other boys could hardly do any worse imo.

Mofra
22-08-2014, 10:06 AM
What do Young, Roberts and Talia have to do to get a game? While not all three are at their peak week in, week out in the VFL, the same can be said for the two in the senior side.
It's not like they haven't had chances this year.
Perhaps the MC don't believe Roberts & Roughy can play in the same side due to footspeed?

westdog54
22-08-2014, 10:06 AM
There's driving a meassge, then there's driving confusion.

Which do you think the match committee are showing to the tall defenders in the VFL?

Roughead has struggled with injury and consistency since he came back from his shoulder injury - which clearly hasn't healed/and or is constantly getting knocked. Austin has his backers and knockers. I'm more in the latter camp.

Have said it already, there may be a longer term in place to develop chemistry between the 3 of them as a unit, with Austin doing his best to get the job done in the seniors in the meantime.

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 10:10 AM
It's not like they haven't had chances this year.
Perhaps the MC don't believe Roberts & Roughy can play in the same side due to footspeed?

Did Roberts not perform well enough in your opinion? Relative to his age and experience i thought the games he played showed promise. That being said, Roughy is clearly not even close to 100%, what's the point in compounding his injury(ies)?

bornadog
22-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Did Roberts not perform well enough in your opinion? Relative to his age and experience i thought the games he played showed promise. That being said, Roughy is clearly not even close to 100%, what's the point in compounding his injury(ies)?

Maybe despite what is said in the press about development, the MC wants to win the VFL game this week and sow up second spot. One thing for sure is the backline will learn alot this week.

Buddy to kick 10.

Bulldog4life
22-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Have said it already, there may be a longer term in place to develop chemistry between the 3 of them as a unit, with Austin doing his best to get the job done in the seniors in the meantime.

Thinking the same thing myself.

Mantis
22-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Well lets them learn on the job in the main team.. The lack of change in personnel in the back half has been extremely frustrating given the poor performances by those within the team.

westdog54
22-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Well lets them learn on the job in the main team.. The lack of change in personnel in the back half has been extremely frustrating given the poor performances by those within the team.

Thus completely defeating the purpose of having our own VFL team.

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 02:56 PM
How does it defeat the purpose? The two teams aren't mutually exclusive.

Mantis
22-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Thus completely defeating the purpose of having our own VFL team.

It has nothing to do with having our own VFL team.. We are a tall defender short and we already have several tall defenders playing indifferently (one has been consistently poor for the last 8 weeks) and yet we are reluctant to give our young talls time to develop their trade in the big league.. For a developing team we aren't doing much of it in an area where it's definitely required.

bornadog
22-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Final Teams:

In: Cordy, Hrovat, Jong, Macrae

for Minson, Grant, Darley, Hunter.

bornadog
22-08-2014, 06:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvn-PjhIQAAMLXS.jpg

Bulldog4life
22-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Opportune time for Jong to show that he should be on next year's list.

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Jong the human wrecking ball, love his ferocity and disregard of self preservation. Good luck Ayce and Jong!!!!

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Bit harsh on grant I think, I woulda thought we had worked out his confidence by now and dropping him is not the way to go about it.

always right
22-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Bit harsh on grant I think, I woulda thought we had worked out his confidence by now and dropping him is not the way to go about it.

The fact is he was only elevated last week to replace Macrae. Unfortunately for him Macrae is back and he did nothing to justify his place ahead of others.

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 07:33 PM
The fact is he was only elevated last week to replace Macrae. Unfortunately for him Macrae is back and he did nothing to justify his place ahead of others.

Yea I agree he didn't offer much but I still would've left him to play the year out.

ratsmac
22-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Yea I agree he didn't offer much but I still would've left him to play the year out.

I agree. Even the very best players need time to adjust to the speed of the game coming through the reserves. I would've like to see him keep his spot. Someone had to make way for Macrae though.