PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Pages : [1] 2

Eastdog
18-08-2014, 08:11 PM
As a younger Doggie supporter who hasn't experienced a match there as yet I wanted to get woofers insights on what a typical matchday there was for the fans at that time. Was it a case of a short stroll down the street to the WO or was it a longer journey with the car from the other side of the city? Did you go to the pubs before and after games etc etc. things like that.

Love to hear some stories.

GVGjr
18-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Very different now compared to when I used to watch us play games there.

Early on for me it was with the parents or grand parents standing for more than 6 quarters of football.

In my teens, traveling down from the country by train and once again standing for the vast majority of 2 games on the day. Long trip home probably getting there by 7.15pm to 7.30pm. Jam doughnuts were a culinary highlight before getting on to the train.

Later on when I was living in Melbourne I was in the ground the moment the gates opened and raced up the stairs to secure a seat in the Can Bar. To this day the best seats I have had at a game of footy sitting right near the 3WRB team "Footballs Best in the West" listening to the Big H, Tommy Lahif and Raquel Stevens.

bulldogsfight
21-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Train from ripponlea , they had to hand write the train ticket
Change at flinders st a hub of different footy supporters wearing their colours
I remember people getting on the train with live chickens they had bought at the market
Get off at west footscray walking across the bridge full of excitement
Usually a long trip home

Twodogs
25-08-2014, 10:47 PM
When I was a kid we'd have salad rolls for lunch and I'd walk up to the ground with my mates. It was was the first place I was allowed to go by myself. We didn't always go straight there.

The Can Bar was the most brilliant place to watch footy from ever, period. I reckon anyway. You could almost bang on the window of the coach's box. Poor Alan Jeans having to sit there.

bornadog
25-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Well Easty, this is your big chance to finally visit WO on Sunday.

Eastdog
16-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Moved this thread to the Bulldogs Unleashed board. Thought it is better suited here.

Eastdog
03-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Bump. Thought I'd bring this thread up. It's a good off season type Bulldog thread.

LostDoggy
03-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Late 70's first memory of dad and I driving from Mulgrave near Waverley Park in our blue fairlane marquis LTD with the velour trim driving to my nanna's house(RIP) in Adelaide St Saturday mornings.
Sometimes we would have fish and chips for lunch from around the corner from her house,caked with skipping girl brown vinegar DELICIOUS!.Other days we would meet my Nan and her bestie Uncle Bert at the ground at the scoreboard end just to the left of the goals with prime front row seats as the two of them would be there when the gates opened to watch all 3 matches.
They would always have on hand for dad and I a couple of rounds of cornbeef and pickle sangers and a full thermos of hot tomato soup(I can taste and smell it all as if it was yesterday).
Mum would always stay at home as she didn't want to see her to MEN upset after another unforseable heavy loss,hoping the long drive back home to Mulgrave would erase most of the disappoint from another loss but it never truly did.

always right
05-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Being brought up in Glen Waverley it was always a long trip out on the train, changing at Flinders St station...but it was often a much longer trip home after another loss. Having never lived in the western suburbs, it was somewhat strange that I always felt at home at the Western Oval and I look back on those times with great affection even though the facilities were well under par.

When I got my licence it was a much easier trip and I always managed to find a park in the side streets of Footscray between the ground and Gordon St. Loved getting there a bit early to watch the reserves do their thing and see who the young blokes were pushing for senior selection.

When I married and we started our family I introduced my young son to the experience at a fairly young age. I used to bring some foldaway steps with me that enabled him to climb up and see the game. They used to let you bring in almost anything those days. Happy times.

Eastdog
05-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks for sharing. Some great insights into the long and short trips for woofers around in the VFL days to the spiritual home. Did you usually have a drink before and after the games at the pub nearby. After win I'm sure many of you would have :)

KT31
06-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Thanks for sharing. Some great insights into the long and short trips for woofers around in the VFL days to the spiritual home. Did you usually have a drink before and after the games at the pub nearby. After win I'm sure many of you would have :)
The Rising Sun Hotel and The Buck were great spots to catch up with some mates before and after a game, especially after a win.

Twodogs
06-01-2015, 01:39 PM
The Rising Sun Hotel and The Buck were great spots to catch up with some mates before and after a game, especially after a win.

And the Albert.

All gone now. :(

Eastdog
06-01-2015, 04:05 PM
And the Albert.

I think you mentioned there now sites for apartments which seems to be the trend nowadays not just in the inner city areas but in the suburbs as well as the population increases.

Twodogs
06-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I think you mentioned there now sites for apartments which seems to be the trend nowadays not just in the inner city areas but in the suburbs as well as the population increases.

Yep. All the pubs mentioned are now apartments. Horrible looking dog boxes they are.

I noticed the other day that the front bar of The Buck is still intact, maybe they are planning on opening it as a micro pub?

bornadog
06-01-2015, 04:39 PM
And the Albert.

and the can bar :D

Twodogs
06-01-2015, 05:33 PM
and the can bar :D

What a great place. The number one footy viewing spot of all time.

Greystache
06-01-2015, 05:36 PM
What a great place. The number one footy viewing spot of all time.

I'm not old enough to know the can bar, where was it?

bornadog
06-01-2015, 05:40 PM
I'm not old enough to know the can bar, where was it?

http://www.weekendnotes.com/im/009/02/whitten-oval1.jpg

Top Deck John Gent Stand. You can see a great big section between the media boxes.

Greystache
06-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Top Deck John Gent Stand. You can see a great big section between the media boxes.

Thanks. Was it just an open standing area?

bornadog
06-01-2015, 05:43 PM

Yes and it was pretty much rubbish up there but who cared.

GVGjr
06-01-2015, 07:02 PM

Two rows of seats and standing room behind that. I used to get there early and rush up the stairs and grab a seat near a former U19's coach who had a seat reserved for him. The best time was when Harry and Tommy would call the football on 3WRB. I could see them calling the game while I was listening to them.

Sausage sizzle, pie warmer, beer and soft drink was all you could buy up there.

Twodogs
06-01-2015, 08:33 PM

Yep. It was a large concrete bunker with a concrete floor, some shoddy rooms for corporate guests, media and the coaching staff on one side and accommodation for the timekeepers on the other. Access was via an internal, enclosed stairway. It was kind of cool, this tunnel through the standvthen you came to a corridor that led behind the Corporate and coaching suites and through a door into this large space that seemed to hover over the ground.

Yes and it was pretty much rubbish up there but who cared.

Two rows of seats and standing room behind that. I used to get there early and rush up the stairs and grab a seat near a former U19's coach who had a seat reserved for him. The best time was when Harry and Tommy would call the football on 3WRB. I could see them calling the game while I was listening to them.

Sausage sizzle, pie warmer, beer and soft drink was all you could buy up there.

With a bar at the back that sold proper beer in cans. My favourite feature was the proximity of the home team's coaching box. Poor Alan Joyce almost had to walk through the drunks at the breaks to get out of there.

Eastdog
11-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Great stuff. The Can bar from the sound of it would of been a great place to be being a Bulldog supporter. I'm sure also many of you would of gone into the ground back there and mingle with the players post match something which unfortunately doesn't happen today. After our VFL GF win going onto the ground at Etihad was a great experience for me going to the footy.

Eastdog
01-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Bump.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Walked across Barkly St - always went home at half time for a cuppa or stiff drink depending on the score. Stood behind Barkly St goals downwind of a can bar or sat in Whitten Stand with my Dad if it was raining.

LostDoggy
01-02-2015, 11:02 PM
How lucky were you!!

Walked across Barkly St - always went home at half time for a cuppa or stiff drink depending on the score. Stood behind Barkly St goals downwind of a can bar or sat in Whitten Stand with my Dad if it was raining.
Drove from either Flemington, /Geelong or Northern Victoria - depending on where we were residing at the time.

Eastdog
03-02-2015, 07:50 PM
We have a good range of Doggies fans who just went down the road to get to WO and others who drove or took the train there from further away back in the day. Great stories.

Bulldog4life
04-02-2015, 06:54 PM
As a kid I walked up Willy Road with my dad from our home just off Francis Street. It was a great walk back when we won.

Twodogs
04-02-2015, 11:28 PM
As a kid I walked up Willy Road with my dad from our home just off Francis Street. It was a great walk back when we won.

Which street B4L?

Bulldog4life
05-02-2015, 12:12 AM
Which street B4L?

Bena street Td

bornadog
05-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Bena street Td

I grew up in Wales St in my first four years opposite the park. My dad was an immigrant but fell in love with the game and of course chose Footscray because we lived there. We moved further west for a couple of years but came back to live on Barkley st to look after my uncles fish & Chips shop for two years while he travelled overseas. I clearly remember walking to the ground from there for home games. My father never ventured to away games those days as it was difficult with the hours in the shop.

When we left Barkley st to go back to our own home we travelled to the ground by train from Sunshine station. This continued till I was old enough to buy a car or a mate had a car and then we drove.

Bulldog4life
05-02-2015, 02:58 PM
I grew up in Wales St in my first four years opposite the park. My dad was an immigrant but fell in love with the game and of course chose Footscray because we lived there. We moved further west for a couple of years but came back to live on Barkley st to look after my uncles fish & Chips shop for two years while he travelled overseas. I clearly remember walking to the ground from there for home games. My father never ventured to away games those days as it was difficult with the hours in the shop.

When we left Barkley st to go back to our own home we travelled to the ground by train from Sunshine station. This continued till I was old enough to buy a car or a mate had a car and then we drove.

Can't get any better than that BAD a feed of fish 'n chips after a game.

Twodogs
05-02-2015, 03:28 PM

Which Fish and Chip shop was it BAD? Was it the one closest to the ground or the one further up amongst all the shops?

bornadog
05-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Which Fish and Chip shop was it BAD? Was it the one closest to the ground or the one further up amongst all the shops?

Doesn't exist any more. It was between Argle st and Blanford st. I went to the Argle st Footscray West Primary school for prep and year 1.

We are talking about the 1960's here :D, I was pretty young then so hard to remember everything. My Dad use to take us behind the Barkly st goals.

I just remembered something, there use to be a tram all the way down to there but got ripped up at some stage, but we usually walked to the ground.

Remi Moses
05-02-2015, 04:10 PM
I remember the fish and Chip shop near St Johns primary and across the road from Charlie Sutton's old pub ( later owned by Dale Lewis) . Attended often and missed part of the third quarter ( sometimes a good thing)

Twodogs
05-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Doesn't exist any more. It was between Argle st and Blanford st. I went to the Argle st Footscray West Primary school for prep and year 1.

We are talking about the 1960's here :D, I was pretty young then so hard to remember everything. My Dad use to take us behind the Barkly st goals.

I just remembered something, there use to be a tram all the way down to there but got ripped up at some stage, but we usually walked to the ground.

Yep, I remember it. Halftime dim sims!

I remember the fish and Chip shop near St Johns primary and across the road from Charlie Sutton's old pub ( later owned by Dale Lewis) . Attended often and missed part of the third quarter ( sometimes a good thing)

That would be in Essex st. That was the one we sprinted for if BAD's shop was too full already.;)

bornadog
05-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Yep, I remember it. Halftime dim sims!

That would be in Essex st. That was the one we sprinted for if BAD's shop was too full already.;)

Essex st is alot close to the ground than where we were.

Remi Moses
05-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Essex st is alot close to the ground than where we were.

The spot I'm talking about had a milk bar and a hairdresser as well.
Milk Bar? Remember those?

Twodogs
05-02-2015, 05:52 PM
The spot I'm talking about had a milk bar and a hairdresser as well.
Milk Bar? Remember those?

That's the one.it was pretty close to the ground But had worse dimmy's

KT31
15-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Bump

More bumps today Eastie than a mogul run.:)

1eyedog
25-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Dad packed us kids into the back of his little 4wd and we made the trip up from Geelong every second weekend. Sometimes we caught a train to Waverley when we played there, that was a long trip home! Dad's 4wd had no cushions in the back, just two army like steel benches that faced each other. It was always my uncle in the passenger seat and me and three cousins in the back, all red, white and blue flying our scarves proudly out the window.

We always stood at the south west end on top of the basalt slope and we always brought a milk crate each to stand on with folded up cardboard inside it so we could slide down the slope at half time.

hotdog
25-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Question. Because the Albert, The Buckingham and I cant even remember what it was called on the otherside of the walkbridge at West Footscray station are now all apartments where does one go for a refreshing ale pre and post match? Harts is the only place I can think of or Mona Castle?

1eyedog
25-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Question. Because the Albert, The Buckingham and I cant even remember what it was called on the otherside of the walkbridge at West Footscray station are now all apartments where does one go for a refreshing ale pre and post match? Harts is the only place I can think of or Mona Castle?

The Plough does good fish and chips as well as pizza but that's all I've eaten there. They've got a fairly diverse menu (Rabbit Lasange) and a big range of craft beers if that's your thing. It's about half a km to the ground, or a 5 minute walk.

Webby
25-02-2015, 12:32 PM

Harts (aka the Vic) is the best bet, now. Very good food - much better than 2-3 years ago. The pub over the foot bridge at West Footscray Station was the Rising Sun. It's now apartments.

The Plough is good, but pricey. The Mona Castle is a decent 15min walk, but worth it. If you really want to see "alternative" Footscray, the Dancing Dog is okay, but also a 15min walk.

There's a new bar on Barkly Street just next to the old Barkly Hotel (which is now a Lentil Restaurant) which is okay, but the name escapes me.

My tip is either the Plough for upmarket, "new Footscray" or the Vic Harts for good value, older school, earthier Footscray. I like them both.

KT31
27-02-2015, 10:31 AM
There's a new bar on Barkly Street just next to the old Barkly Hotel (which is now a Lentil Restaurant) which is okay, but the name escapes me..

Seriously, the Neil's of this world have a lot to answer for.The old diggers who used to drink there would be turning in their graves.

Twodogs
27-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Seriously, the Neil's of this world have a lot to answer for.The old diggers who used to drink there would be turning in their graves.

Actually the lentil place isnt bad. I never thought I'd say that about a restaurant called Lentil As Anything but the food is quite good even though they have that "pay how much you think it was worth" policy.

Eastdog
28-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Too easy getting the train to WO and back home again in the east. By the way had a great day out west at WO for my first match day experience. Would love to play in future years one home game there. Had the old school can of beer :) loved see people carrying two cans on top of each other. We were lucky with the weather. Libba injury was the downer.

Twodogs
28-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Too easy getting the train to WO and back home again in the east. By the way had a great day out west at WO for my first match day experience. Would love to play in future years one home game there. Had the old school can of beer :) loved see people carrying two cans on top of each other. We were lucky with the weather. Libba injury was the downer.

Good to hear you enjoyed your experience today Easty. It was a great day in the Whitten oval story given it was our first game there in 17 years.

Eastdog
28-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Good to hear you enjoyed your experience today Easty. It was a great day in the Whitten oval story given it was our first game there in 17 years.

Will look back in 10,20,30 years etc at this will be a great moment in the history of the ground. Glad that I went :)

Twodogs
01-03-2015, 01:05 AM
And we sold ihe ground out too Easty.

G-Mo77
01-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Actually the lentil place isnt bad. I never thought I'd say that about a restaurant called Lentil As Anything but the food is quite good even though they have that "pay how much you think it was worth" policy.

I went to the one in Collingwood. What a great idea it is. I'll have to drop in next time i go. Being a Veggie food options are limited at the grounds.

Twodogs
01-03-2015, 09:42 AM
I went to the one in Collingwood. What a great idea it is. I'll have to drop in next time i go. Being a Veggie food options are limited at the grounds.

Vegetarian? Hmmm. We could scrape all of the meat out of a pie for you.

G-Mo77
01-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Vegetarian? Hmmm. We could scrape all of the meat out of a pie for you.

LOL. Technically I'm probably safe eating a Pie. "There's very little meat in these gym mats"

The Underdog
01-03-2015, 11:12 AM

I hear you brother. We can form our own support group. The "Cold Chip Alliance"

On a side note, I had a debacle of a day yesterday. Attempting a game on the other side of town at 4:30 with 3 small kids was a huge mistake. The romance of it all was great but my reality yesterday was a crushing bore.

bornadog
01-03-2015, 12:34 PM
I ended up driving yesterday and drove to the station carpark. It was full but one guy was leaving and I grabbed it, bit of luck really.

Ozza
01-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I wasn't able to make the game, but arriving home to Seddon at 7:30ish - the streets were packed with cars, with plenty of bulldogs clad families making their way home. Looks like it will be tough to park in my street on VFL match days during the year!

josie
01-03-2015, 03:58 PM

Hey GMo77 - I'm not a vegetarian however quite like veget food & cook it sometimes (my heart says be a veget. however my palate says otherwise). Have you tried buying raw ingredients from great veget. food supplies shop called Vincents in Barkly St - not far from WO, opposite the KFC. The satay chicken uses soy protein and tastes like, well - satay chicken.

Sorry mods for this non dogs post.

Regarding access to WO I loved seeing supporters park a little aways from WO and walk in all their glorious red, white & blue. Great to hear Easty & others found train convenient too. Was great to see a few Dogs Supporters in town & near Queen Vic markets before the game - Go Dogs !!

Eastdog
01-03-2015, 09:23 PM
From Southern Cross getting the Sunbury line the train was packed going and coming back.

LostDoggy
01-03-2015, 10:48 PM
On train at dandy to southern cross ,from there jumped on Sunbury line to West Footscray,took about an hoyr and a quarter all up,too easy

G-Mo77
02-03-2015, 12:45 AM
Hey GMo77 - I'm not a vegetarian however quite like veget food & cook it sometimes (my heart says be a veget. however my palate says otherwise). Have you tried buying raw ingredients from great veget. food supplies shop called Vincents in Barkly St - not far from WO, opposite the KFC. The satay chicken uses soy protein and tastes like, well - satay chicken.

Sorry mods for this non dogs post.

Don't live in Footscray but we have places around here I can buy food like that. There is a small Asian Grocery close by that sells a lot of it. My heart was always been Vegetarian just never had the will power to do it and then just one day it clicked and I haven't eaten meat since. I enjoy food so much more now and try so many wonderful types of food as a Vegetarian something I never would have done as a meat eater. It's not for everyone and I'm no preacher but you would be surprised how easy the transition is, it's well worth it.

bornadog
02-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Don't live in Footscray but we have places around here I can buy food like that. There is a small Asian Grocery close by that sells a lot of it. My heart was always been Vegetarian just never had the will power to do it and then just one day it clicked and I haven't eaten meat since. I enjoy food so much more now and try so many wonderful types of food as a Vegetarian something I never would have done as a meat eater. It's not for everyone and I'm no preacher but you would be surprised how easy the transition is, it's well worth it.

My daughter is vegetarian, so I cook meatless dishes for myself and wife a few days a week. Most nights I cook two types of meals. Its amazing how many great recipes there are for vegetarian meals. I can highly recommend these books:

http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/our-books/

KT31
02-03-2015, 09:14 AM
My daughter is vegetarian, so I cook meatless dishes for myself and wife a few days a week. Most nights I cook two types of meals. Its amazing how many great recipes there are for vegetarian meals. I can highly recommend these books:

http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/our-books/

I love a good vegetarian meal, it complements a medium rare t-bone magnificently.:)

josie
02-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Thanks BAD for that link and to G-Mo77 for your sharing your success from meat eater to vegetarian. Food for thought...or rather thoughtful food.

Twodogs
02-03-2015, 09:29 PM
My son has just decided to try a vegetarian diet. I'm feeling much better already. :)

Eastdog
05-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Harts (aka the Vic) is the best bet, now. Very good food - much better than 2-3 years ago. The pub over the foot bridge at West Footscray Station was the Rising Sun. It's now apartments.

The Plough is good, but pricey. The Mona Castle is a decent 15min walk, but worth it. If you really want to see "alternative" Footscray, the Dancing Dog is okay, but also a 15min walk.

There's a new bar on Barkly Street just next to the old Barkly Hotel (which is now a Lentil Restaurant) which is okay, but the name escapes me.

My tip is either the Plough for upmarket, "new Footscray" or the Vic Harts for good value, older school, earthier Footscray. I like them both.

The Rising Sun would have been great pre game last Saturday.

Webby
05-03-2015, 10:51 PM
The Rising Sun would have been great pre game last Saturday.

Yep, you missed it by about ten years. You might've noticed the "CUB: official beer supplier to the Footscray FC" that the developers preserved on the side of it? I always preferred the Buckingmamshire Hotel or "Buck" which was halfway between Middle Footscray Station and the WO.

The Plough is good, but I think one of the coteries might've booked it out on Saturday. They'd have done a roaring trade pre-match, had they opened. Couldn't help thinking that was a schoolboy error... As it was, the Vic did a roaring trade pre-match. Theyd have to be rapt to have some footy back at the WO. Saturday was the busiest I've ever seen it.

I stopped off at the bar next to the old Barkly Hotel (I remember now, it's called Little Foot - which wouldn't look out of place in South Yarra) then whipped over to a Vietnamese restaurant and had athe best Pho I've ever had for $10. Great day!

Eastdog
05-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Yep, you missed it by about ten years. You might've noticed the "CUB: official beer supplier to the Footscray FC" that the developers preserved on the side of it? I always preferred the Buckingmamshire Hotel or "Buck" which was halfway between Middle Footscray Station and the WO.

The Plough is good, but I think one of the coteries might've booked it out on Saturday. They'd have done a roaring trade pre-match, had they opened. Couldn't help thinking that was a schoolboy error... As it was, the Vic did a roaring trade pre-match. Theyd have to be rapt to have some footy back at the WO. Saturday was the busiest I've ever seen it.

I stopped off at the bar next to the old Barkly Hotel (I remember now, it's called Little Foot - which wouldn't look out of place in South Yarra) then whipped over to a Vietnamese restaurant and had athe best Pho I've ever had for $10. Great day!

The Buck I believe is gone now too. What road was the Rising Sun on. I believe Williamstown Road but correct me if I'm wrong.

bornadog
05-03-2015, 11:57 PM
The Buck I believe is gone now too. What road was the Rising Sun on. I believe Williamstown Road but correct me if I'm wrong.

Geelong Rd near the overpass that goes over the railway tracks.

There use to be a smaller bridge and The Rising Sun could be seen from Geelong Rd as you drove pass. Then they re did the bridge and it was much larger and shieldeed the pub. In the end I think the bridge killed it.

Eastdog
06-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Geelong Rd near the overpass that goes over the railway tracks.

There use to be a smaller bridge and The Rising Sun could be seen from Geelong Rd as you drove pass. Then they re did the bridge and it was much larger and shieldeed the pub. In the end I think the bridge killed it.

Times have changed. Is Geelong Road off Cross St which is the street you walk past from the station.

Webby
06-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Times have changed. Is Geelong Road off Cross St which is the street you walk past from the station.

Embarking on an explanation for this one is very, very tough! The RS basically sits on the intersection of Buckley Street (just before where it becomes Sunshine Rd), Williamstown Rd and the feeder rd from Willy Rd onto Geelong Rd.

Originally it was textbook Geelong Road just past the rail crossing, however, post the rail bridge being built and then the various slip lanes and feeder ramps, it's been kind of buried.

I'd have loved for a rail and traffic tunnel to have been put under there and for everything to be levelled out. That would have re-integrated that whole section, Made room for a stand behind the scoreboard end goals etc. clearly a pipe dream, but one can fantasise!

But, to explain, geelong Road overpasses Cross Street and the railway and Buckley St/Sunshine Rd and kind of runs parallel with Cross Street. However the West Footscray Station Bridge takes you onto Sunshine Road - not Geelong Road... Has that helped...?!! (I doubt it!)

Webby
06-03-2015, 09:19 AM
PS The Rising Sun was one hell of a grotty drug den ten years ago. The development has been a big plus. Same with the Barkly Theatre.

It's getting harder and harder to point to a drug den in Footscray, nowadays - which can't be a bad thing!

Eastdog
06-03-2015, 03:30 PM
I've seen on street view the other side of West Footscray station facing away from Whitten Oval which is Sunshine Road. Was trying to find it on google maps Geelong Road but couldn't see it. I noticed last week west of Hocking street quite a new looking recently developing housing area.

Twodogs
06-03-2015, 04:11 PM
I've seen on street view the other side of West Footscray station facing away from Whitten Oval which is Sunshine Road. Was trying to find it on google maps Geelong Road but couldn't see it. I noticed last week west of Hocking street quite a new looking recently developing housing area.

In the time between the old factory being pulled down and the new houses being constructed I could see the ground from the end of my street.

Eastdog
06-03-2015, 04:16 PM
In the time between the old factory being pulled down and the new houses being constructed I could see the ground from the end of my street.

Do you think with the new developments in the area that it has changed for the better or was it better back in the day.

Twodogs
06-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Do you think with the new developments in the area that it has changed for the better or was it better back in the day.

The new houses look a lot better than the old factory but the traffic is a bit busier.

Eastdog
08-03-2015, 03:39 PM
The new houses look a lot better than the old factory but the traffic is a bit busier.

It's always the way when there is an upside there is a downside as well.

Eastdog
15-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Thought I would move this thread to this board on woof as I think its more appropriate here.

merantau
15-07-2015, 09:03 PM
I used to catch the bus in South Road to get to the game. I'd go early to watch the twos. Bus was always PACKED after the game. Sometimes me and the mates would walk to Totty station and go on the train - just for a change. Later, when I got a car (1952 Morris Oxford) I'd drive to my mate Rowdy's place in Stanlake Street just near the Footscray Hospital in Elenor Street. Then we'd walk to the Albert and have a few drinks pre-match. On a few occasions a group of us would meet up at Jimmy Wong's and have a feed. Steak, tomato rice was my favourite. Good to see Jimmy's is still firing. After the game it was back to the Albert, especially if we won! When I was a kid, from ten years old onwards, we used to roam Melbourne on the train going to away games. My great mate, George Allen (dec), ex-gun full forward for Sunshine, used to barrack for South. We always went to see the Dogs and Bloods at the Lake Oval. Loved going to Arden Street as we usually won there. Seemed like a long walk past the Ugly Sisters Pub (the one right next to the station) and then Mulcahy's to the ground. All the railway men from North Melbourne Loco used to call that pub "The Ugly Sisters". My old man used to drink there. I saw Ted Whitten take that great mark at Arden Street, He was standing on Frank Galle's back with the gasometer providing a magnificent backdrop. Ted went back and roosted the ball out of the ground - for a point! I was gutted, but we won handsomely! I feel very lucky to have had all those wonderful experiences. We never had much in a material sense but we lived the richest of lives. To kick a good torpedo with a paper footy was a thing of joy. In the late 50s early 60s plastic footies were all the go. But they were so hard on the ends! They hurt like buggery if you weren't careful with the ball drop!

Twodogs
15-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Why was it called the Ugly Sisters?

merantau
15-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Because that's what they were apparently - a couple of ugly sisters, who somehow got into the pub business. I'm sure there's a story behind them. BTW just been talking to a mate over here. He used to see The Peanut Man all the time at Port Melbourne games.

Eastdog
22-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Great stuff merantau. Love it! I've said before I wish I was around back in those days. Would be great to drive or get the train to WO have a beer before and after the match at the local pub near the ground and then be off.

Twodogs
22-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Great stuff merantau. Love it! I've said before I wish I was around back in those days. Would be great to drive or get the train to WO have a beer before and after the match at the local pub near the ground and then be off.

The best thing about the first beer after the game was Charlie Sutton pouring it for you.

GVGjr
22-07-2015, 07:16 PM

You could do it now, nothing has changed in that regard.

LostDoggy
31-07-2015, 11:23 PM
I used to get the bus down Williamstown Rd from Newport to the Western Oval (472 or 479). The stop was not far from the Rising Sun so often popped in on the way home. As a young fella in the late 70s/early 80s I'd have a few lemonades whilst my father had a few beers with his mates.

The bar was always rocking, especially after a win (which weren't overly common back then), and quite a few times we ended up staying a fair bit longer than originally intended. It was full strength beer all afternoon back then and a lot of the guys at the bar were obliterated but it was always a great atmosphere with lots of laughter and energy but minimal aggro.

It was a rare insight into the grown up world for me back then - great memories.

Later on I would go by train with my mates, with the West Footscray stop being even closer to the ground than the bus stop. We'd always get there by 12.30 to see the last half of the Reserves. We always stood on the outer flank between the scoreboard and the coaches box. The crowd was thinner there and we were always within a row or two of the fence.

In this area, the crowd was predominantly for the away team and we would love getting involved in a bit of banter with them.

Would always have a kick on the ground for a good hour after the match. Mainly cause it was great fun (although the Western Oval was always really heavy, the turf seemed lusher and longer than other grounds) but also so that most of the crowd could clear out and you could get a train seat on the way home.

Eastdog
02-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Bump.

Was wondering as we all know our current social club is at the Victory room Level 1 at Etihad Stadium but back in the Whitten Oval where about was the old social club?

Twodogs
02-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Bump.

Was wondering as we all know our current social club is at the Victory room Level 1 at Etihad Stadium but back in the Whitten Oval where about was the old social club?

The old social club used to be housed under the Gent stand Eastie. Around the spot where the museum is now.

Eastdog
02-10-2015, 02:44 PM
The old social club used to be housed under the Gent stand Eastie. Around the spot where the museum is now.

Ok cool. I believe on the Gordon street side of the ground the old stand there was called the Smith stand I believe or something else.

GVGjr
02-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Gee we need our own social club venue. Something that fans could hire for birthdays or events etc.
You used to be able to do that at the club before the redevelopment.

Eastdog
02-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Gee we need our own social club venue. Something that fans could hire for birthdays or events etc.
You used to be able to do that at the club before the redevelopment.

Edgewater Maribyrnong was it but that fell through. We have the Peninsula Club in Dromana for our Bayside Bulldogs which is operated by the club

Twodogs
02-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Dromana might be a bit of a stretch for us in the west Eastie.

About the Smith 'stand' I always thought it was a bit cheeky that they built a big lean to and then called it a stand. They might have been gilding the lily a bit there I think.

Eastdog
02-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Dromana might be a bit of a stretch for us in the west Eastie.

About the Smith 'stand' I always thought it was a bit cheeky that they built a big lean to and then called it a stand. They might have been gilding the lily a bit there I think.

Interesting history there TD cheers :) Yeah I also believe the EJ Whitten Stand sign is different now to what it was before. When did they do that.

Eastdog
13-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Bump

For more woofers who would like to contribute to this thread. It's been great reading through all the stories.

Twodogs
13-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Interesting history there TD cheers :) Yeah I also believe the EJ Whitten Stand sign is different now to what it was before. When did they do that.

I don't know. I will try to find out. Have they just sort of shunted ithe lettering along a bit to install the disabled access/standing area at the left hand corner in the front?

Drunken Bum
14-10-2015, 03:13 PM
We used to park at Beaurepairs(?) on Barkly street back in the day, think they shut at midday on Sat, first in best dressed but most games parked there and small stroll down to WO. When we started playing Sunday games at WO, we were the first or one of the first Melb based teams to play home games on Sundays from memory yeah? Before that it was just the interstate games, the army reserve cup and the VFA on Sundays, yeah still parked there but the boy scouts or something similar must have worked out a deal with Beurepairs and charged $2 or $5 to park there.

Eastdog
17-10-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't know. I will try to find out. Have they just sort of shunted ithe lettering along a bit to install the disabled access/standing area at the left hand corner in the front?

I've seen two pics on google that have the old and new lettering.

Twodogs
17-10-2015, 09:23 PM
I've seen two pics on google that have the old and new lettering.

I will have a look.

Eastdog
17-10-2015, 09:32 PM
I will have a look.

Cheers TD.

Eastdog
06-11-2015, 10:05 PM
The EJ Whitten Stand Lettering

Previously: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitten_Oval#/media/File:E.J._Whitten_Stand.jpg

Now: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/club/venues/victoria-university-whitten-oval

Eastdog
06-11-2015, 10:05 PM
No Whitten Oval AFL pre season mathces next year but still opportunities with the VFL.

Eastdog
01-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Great to have went to that nab game last year against Richmond and be apart of the highest WO attendance since 2003 :)

http://m.austadiums.com/stadium_events.php?id=137

Eastdog
20-02-2016, 08:29 PM
For anymore woofers who were around in the prime of the VFL days to share their stories.

SonofScray
28-02-2016, 02:47 AM
Parked in Essex St and walked to the games, I can recall catching the 82 and walking up Gordon St a few times as well. There was a park with a playground near the WO that had a swing/spinning thing with a clown face on top that if we won I could play on but if not WifeOfScray and Scray were quick to get us home.

Don't mind parking at the station and walking over the footbridge these days. I'll ride my bike to a few VFL games this year.

Twodogs
28-02-2016, 03:04 AM
Parked in Essex St and walked to the games, I can recall catching the 82 and walking up Gordon St a few times as well. There was a park with a playground near the WO that had a swing/spinning thing with a clown face on top that if we won I could play on but if not WifeOfScray and Scray were quick to get us home.

Don't mind parking at the station and walking over the footbridge these days. I'll ride my bike to a few VFL games this year.

There's a bike track all the way to the cross street entrance.

SonofScray
28-02-2016, 01:58 PM
There's a bike track all the way to the cross street entrance.

Yeah, from what I can tell is I can ride up Duke St and South rode all the way through on the bike track.

Twodogs
28-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Yeah, from what I can tell is I can ride up Duke St and South rode all the way through on the bike track.

So where does it go on the other side of Ashley street? It's not that one along the road to Werribee is it?

HOSE B ROMERO
10-01-2017, 08:25 PM
I used to drive down from the country and time it so i arrived at half time in the reserves. I would come over the overpass and pull into the service lane and then wack the car into reverse and park near Kings funeral directors. Fifty metre walk from the scoreboard entrance. My favourite spot in the ground was to stand right against the players race. You could look down the race and would be privileged to spot the captain (Jimmy Edmond, Dougie, Stevie Wallis etc) leading the boys down before anybody else saw them. Faces full of intensity and nerves. There would be always lots of kids sitting on the top of the wire on top of the race. And the roar. It is still one of my most vivid and emotional memories of following the dogs. Also you could get into the rooms after the games. It's a real pity that none of this is possible anymore. I don't want it to sound as if 'everything was better in the good old days', but modern stadiums around the world just can't replicate the experience. And standing at the footy just kills sitting especially when the crowd is 'going off'!

For a few years i did stand against wire fence in front of the Gent stand. Pretty good, especially the day when the Pieman took 'that' mark against the Pies. We nearly shook the fence off it's foundations.

I had no idea there was standing room in the Gent stand!! We just presumed it was all seating. Would have liked to give it a crack too.

merantau
10-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Absolutely agree re standing at the footy. I cannot stand sitting down! When you are sitting it just dilutes the entire experience.

Twodogs
10-01-2017, 09:32 PM
I used to drive down from the country and time it so i arrived at half time in the reserves. I would come over the overpass and pull into the service lane and then wack the car into reverse and park near Kings funeral directors. Fifty metre walk from the scoreboard entrance. My favourite spot in the ground was to stand right against the players race. You could look down the race and would be privileged to spot the captain (Jimmy Edmond, Dougie, Stevie Wallis etc) leading the boys down before anybody else saw them. Faces full of intensity and nerves. There would be always lots of kids sitting on the top of the wire on top of the race. And the roar. It is still one of my most vivid and emotional memories of following the dogs. Also you could get into the rooms after the games. It's a real pity that none of this is possible anymore. I don't want it to sound as if 'everything was better in the good old days', but modern stadiums around the world just can't replicate the experience. And standing at the footy just kills sitting especially when the crowd is 'going off'!

For a few years i did stand against wire fence in front of the Gent stand. Pretty good, especially the day when the Pieman took 'that' mark against the Pies. We nearly shook the fence off it's foundations.

I had no idea there was standing room in the Gent stand!! We just presumed it was all seating. Would have liked to give it a crack too

The Can Bar is probably the greatest place I have ever been in my life. Access was by a little door at the back of the stand.

GVGjr
10-01-2017, 11:07 PM
The Can Bar is probably the greatest place I have ever been in my life. Access was by a little door at the back of the stand.

Same here. I'd get to the ground before the reserves played and the moment I entered the ground straight up the stairs into the can bar to secure a seat or two. There was even a time when I used to sit near Harry Beitzel while he was he was calling the game. Used to get into a chat with Tommy Lahiff as well. I could have talked to him for hours.

Twodogs
11-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Same here. I'd get to the ground before the reserves played and the moment I entered the ground straight up the stairs into the can bar to secure a seat or two. There was even a time when I used to sit near Harry Beitzel while he was he was calling the game. Used to get into a chat with Tommy Lahiff as well. I could have talked to him for hours.

And the coach virtually had to walk through the middle of it to get to his coaching box. It must have been the only coaching box in the competition entirely surrounded by a bunch of drunken supporters. Poor Alan Joyce looked quite unhappy at times.

bornadog
11-01-2017, 09:57 AM

I didn't know there was access by a little door? I only went up from the stairs at the side of the stand. Ran into EJ a couple of times going up. He was broadcasting for that Geelong station.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Was there ever anywhere you could sneak into the ground? You would hear of holes in fences at different grounds.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-01-2017, 08:27 PM

Early-mid 90's Harry and Tommy would broadcast the 'Selectors Table' from the ground on Thursday nights on 3WRB. I remember each week Harry would read from the 'Bulldog bible'. Harry was never one to miss out on an opportunity ;)

Twodogs
11-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Early-mid 90's Harry and Tommy would broadcast the 'Selectors Table' from the ground on Thursday nights on 3WRB. I remember each week Harry would read from the 'Bulldog bible'. Harry was never one to miss out on an opportunity ;)

They were great nights. The food and footy great. It was like a bulldog footy show with dinner thrown in.

Now that I think about it with the selection of teams and the panel of three players

1eyedog
13-01-2017, 01:30 AM
Was there ever anywhere you could sneak into the ground? You would hear of holes in fences at different grounds.

Used to watch people enter the ground through the fenceline from the Geelong Road end all the time. The hill was where you got in for free.

1eyedog
13-01-2017, 01:33 AM
I didn't know there was access by a little door? I only went up from the stairs at the side of the stand. Ran into EJ a couple of times going up. He was broadcasting for that Geelong station.

Krock. Yeah there was a door at the back of the stand. Young kids used to get in early and take up good seats and then stand next to the door to trade them for sweets and sodas before the start of the game. Then start their can runs around the ground. We used to have a great time. Didn't watch too much footy except when KT got it but we always started the match with a pie and drink and collected a couple of dollars worth of cans at Sims Metal after the game. Good times.

jeemak
13-01-2017, 01:53 AM
Over in the east and growing up within a 15 minute walk to VFL Park I didn't get to sneak into Western Oval, nor did I get to attend games there as often as I'd have liked.

However, I used to know VFL Park like the back of my hand.

Throughout the course of a few years when I was around eight to ten a group of us used to sneak in and play gang tiggy each holidays. There'd be seven or so of us and it would keep us occupied all day. Things got really sophisticated when we realised the badminton set given to my brother and I for Christmas could actually be used to jimmy open the huge black doors in the Sir Kenneth Luke stand. With the head of the racquet removed and the stem bent appropriately those doors never stood a chance, given they only had gate levers rather than locks on them.

On the southern side of the ground there used to be a huge mound near the lake on which we could ride and stack our bikes in feats more dangerous than I care to remember.

Some days the Blue Coats would let us wander in during intra club and external practice matches. I remember David Cloke nearly crushing me on the goal line as a couple of mates and I got a little too close to the action as the goal umpire was otherwise tied up in the play unfolding before him.

Good times. I saw many a game at Waverley, it was a ground for all of us. I hate the Hawks owned it and now see it as their own and I'll be grateful when they move to Keysborough.

Twodogs
13-01-2017, 01:54 AM

Yeah, it was a bit like Hernando's Hideway. You knocked three times and whispered low that you and I were sent by Joe* then strike a match and you will know you were in the can bar, ole!

*actually you had to show the bloke your social club medallion.

jeemak
13-01-2017, 01:54 AM
Yeah, it was a bit like Hernando's Hideway. You knocked three times and whispered low that you and I were sent by Joe* then strike a match and you will know you were in the can bar, ole!

*actually you had to show the bloke your social club medallion.

Or like Leisure Suit Larry One - Ken Sent Me!

Eastdog
24-01-2017, 08:41 PM

I had no idea there was standing room in the Gent stand!! We just presumed it was all seating. Would have liked to give it a crack too.

Great story mate!

Eastdog
24-01-2017, 08:42 PM
it was a ground for all of us.

Yes agree. All teams used play there at some point each week back in the day (80s).

Eastdog
01-08-2017, 08:09 PM
My experience there at our great ground about 5 weeks now. Go Dogs!

https://s8.postimg.org/47qisesqp/IMG_1283.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/47qisesqp/)

https://s8.postimg.org/lmar0opvl/IMG_1284.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/lmar0opvl/)

https://s8.postimg.org/3yxzzlm9t/IMG_1287.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/3yxzzlm9t/)

https://s8.postimg.org/6dpvk12ip/IMG_1288.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/6dpvk12ip/)

https://s8.postimg.org/5cpmuwlj5/IMG_1290.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5cpmuwlj5/)

https://s17.postimg.org/kqqzddcfv/IMG_1265.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/kqqzddcfv/)

https://s17.postimg.org/er389prnf/IMG_1266.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/er389prnf/)

https://s17.postimg.org/eflrwyb7f/IMG_1285.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/eflrwyb7f/)

https://s17.postimg.org/tpln456pn/IMG_1286.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/tpln456pn/)

Webby
01-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Just whilst this thread has popped up, thought it worthwhile to post about the ending of another chapter for many old Dogs fans' pre and post WO game rituals. Although it hasn't gone the same way as the Buck, or the Rising Sun or the Albert and is thankfully remaining a pub, the Vic or Hart's Hotel in Victoria Street, Footscray closed its doors last month.

Thankfully (to some extent) it's going the way of the Plough.... Upmarket, or slightly 'hipster' that is.. Another sign of gentrification. Will have to wait and see if it gets the thumbs up.... I liked the Vic - it was the last of the old breed surrounding WO. Should be grateful that it's remaining a pub. It'd be tragic to have yet more apartments pop up in place of an historic watering hole.

Just hope it doesn't go too wankey!

http://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/news/builders-arms-owner-takes-over-footscrays-harts-hotel-20170718-gxdqvp

Cyberdoggie
02-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Just whilst this thread has popped up, thought it worthwhile to post about the ending of another chapter for many old Dogs fans' pre and post WO game rituals. Although it hasn't gone the same way as the Buck, or the Rising Sun or the Albert and is thankfully remaining a pub, the Vic or Hart's Hotel in Victoria Street, Footscray closed its doors last month.

Thankfully (to some extent) it's going the way of the Plough.... Upmarket, or slightly 'hipster' that is.. Another sign of gentrification. Will have to wait and see if it gets the thumbs up.... I liked the Vic - it was the last of the old breed surrounding WO. Should be grateful that it's remaining a pub. It'd be tragic to have yet more apartments pop up in place of an historic watering hole.

Just hope it doesn't go too wankey!

http://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/news/builders-arms-owner-takes-over-footscrays-harts-hotel-20170718-gxdqvp

You won't be allowed entry unless you have a hipster beard.

Eastdog
02-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Was great going there to get the experience of what it most likely was like in those 70-80s winters and before for our fans watching the mighty Doggies there. Would consider going to a VFL final there wished I went to the one there in 2014.

Was a good trip in on the Belgrave line getting off at Flinders street then getting on the Sunbury train line to West Footscray. Was fun going in from West Footscray to Southern Cross for the main game afterwards.

josie
04-08-2017, 03:22 AM
You won't be allowed entry unless you have a hipster beard. Hmmm, i'll have to glue one on then. If I do I'll go all the way with a Zaine Train mo.

merantau
08-08-2017, 12:43 PM
How many hipsters does it take to change a light globe?
Well, I'm not sure so I asked a hipster.
He stopped re-constucting his de-constucted latte for a moment and opined: "That's an interesting question. I couldn't tell you exactly but I'm sure it's one from an eclectic mix of numbers."

bornadog
08-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Get down to open training Thursday at 11am

always right
08-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Unfortunately many games are simply unwatchable at the Whitten Oval nowadays when there is a strong wind. With no protection from the old stand, any strong wind makes for a poor standard game.

Eastdog
09-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Get down to open training tomorrow at 11am

Did any woofers get down to training today?

Enjoyed eating in the Barkers Cafe last time I was there for the VFL game. Had a hotdog and coffee. Will be good next time I go there to check out the Bulldog museum.

bornadog
09-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Did any woofers get down to training today?

Enjoyed eating in the Barkers Cafe last time I was there for the VFL game. Had a hotdog and coffee. Will be good next time I go there to check out the Bulldog museum.

Sorry, I this is on Thursday - my mistake

Eastdog
13-08-2017, 03:57 PM
A few great pics from the GF training session at Whitten Oval last year. What a great morning that was getting the train in from Parliament and the train driver was a Doggies supporter.

https://s21.postimg.org/cqkb1cuxv/IMG_0781.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/cqkb1cuxv/)

https://s21.postimg.org/5tuq2ko0z/IMG_0791.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5tuq2ko0z/)

https://s21.postimg.org/3o0f82kkj/IMG_0801.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/3o0f82kkj/)

https://s21.postimg.org/mf2ci8f4z/IMG_0822.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/mf2ci8f4z/)

https://s21.postimg.org/qmx4qzgkj/IMG_0830.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/qmx4qzgkj/)

https://s21.postimg.org/61icz2yzn/IMG_0831.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/61icz2yzn/)

Eastdog
13-08-2017, 04:01 PM
A few pics from 2017 Pre-season game at the Whitten Oval. 2 of the great Whitten statue.

https://s2.postimg.org/jve34jbqt/IMG_1044.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/jve34jbqt/)

https://s2.postimg.org/logzsuwxh/IMG_1046.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/logzsuwxh/)

https://s2.postimg.org/bsfwt7r5h/IMG_1047.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/bsfwt7r5h/)

https://s2.postimg.org/gsdd15ws5/IMG_1050.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/gsdd15ws5/)

https://s2.postimg.org/4rrx0fpdh/IMG_1051.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/4rrx0fpdh/)

Webby
02-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Good news ladies and gents...

The Victoria Hotel has once again opened in Footscray. Like our club, pretty unrecognisable to its old self, yet still
Pleasingly familiar...

Slightly more expensive Parmas, but not as much as some cynics had suggested.. $24 is not so bad.. perhaps...

Just pumped that it's back open. Four and a bit months by my count.

Spent GF night, 2016 there celebrating with all the locals. Can't help feeling it's closure was a bit of a jinx... play on!

Webby
02-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Talking to the manager:

Asked "Will you play all Dogs games?"
"Yes."

Said "we will support both men's and women's teams."

Good.

He said "Of course. The owner is good friends with both Bob Murphy and Nathan Brown."

I replied " Just to confirm, does Nathan Brown have anything to do with this place?!!"

He replied "No, he just knows the owner."

I said "Okay. Play on."

Maybe not so bad.

Parma was $24. A premium on the $14 half Parma offered at the old Vic. To be fair, it was the same height & width, but thicker and better quality. Chips a bit dry and salad was lacking onion and tomato. But could've been worse.

Twodogs
03-12-2017, 01:35 AM
Hopefully the dry chips are an abberition that won't happen again. I can't handle dry chips

Other than that it's all good news. I'm with you Webby one of the reasons we had a poor year on field was because the Vic was closed. It's open now, we will win the flag,

Webby
15-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Unsure of where to post this, so....

Q'n) Do we consider Port Melbourne to be in the western suburbs or not?

Eastdog
15-12-2017, 09:46 PM

Cool question. Port Melbourne is south west of the CBD so I reckon yes/no kind of like Moonee Ponds if it is north or west. Footscray and the inner west west of the Maribyrnong definite Bulldog territory.

The inner city suburbs of Flemington, Kensington, Ascot Vale is the inner north west and share it with our rivalries the Roos and Dons.

The suburb of West Melbourne itself - if there is any inner city suburb east of the Maribyrnong that is ours then it is West Melbourne and even Docklands as well :)

boydogs
15-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Cool question. Port Melbourne is south west of the CBD so I reckon yes/no kind of like Moonee Ponds if it is north or west

So Moonee Ponds would be between us, North and Essendon, but who else would have claims on Port Melbourne? Demons?

Eastdog
15-12-2017, 10:24 PM
So Moonee Ponds would be between us, North and Essendon, but who else would have claims on Port Melbourne? Demons?

Footscray, Seddon, Yarraville = Bulldogs
Kensington, Flemington, Ascot Vale = Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Bombers
West Melbourne = Bulldogs
Port Melbourne = Bulldogs and Saints

Webby
15-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Thanks gents. I'm back home at the Vic now. Better pub. Better area.

Bit of a debate kicked off at a new pub on Bay and Ragland Street... Claimed it as West.. Just to be mischievous.. It's South territory..
Just between us..

However The Ponds are Dogs territory.. Stuff the Bombers!

Twodogs
15-12-2017, 11:20 PM

No. I've never heard it described this. And having lived in Port Melbourne I know they would be appalled at the suggestion.:D

But with the proximity to Willy maybe. It's not really that far albeit the distance is all water.

Webby
16-12-2017, 01:52 AM
My thoughts are that Port is not western suburbs. Moonee Pnds is not Dogs territory (although Ascot Vale is debatable). But we're playing the long game, here. Long may the Norf, Dons premiership drought continue!!

comrade
16-12-2017, 03:15 PM
My thoughts are that Port is not western suburbs. Moonee Pnds is not Dogs territory (although Ascot Vale is debatable). But we're playing the long game, here. Long may the Norf, Dons premiership drought continue!!

No way is Port Melbourne a Bulldogs territory. Moonee Ponds is def not Dogs territory. Kensington, that's close but nah, not Doggy territory either.

A big yes to Footscray (duh), Seddon, Yarraville, Newport, Braybrook, Willy, Sunshine, Altona, Deer Park, Werribee, Hoppers, Point Cook, Melton, all the way to good old Ballarat.

Rocco Jones
16-12-2017, 03:50 PM
I live in Flemington. My thoughts...

Flemington, Kensington, West Melbourne (North Melbourne station is even there)= North Melbourne
Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds= Essendon
Port Melbourne= Going to give this one to the Dees but really as neutral as it gets.

Rocco Jones
16-12-2017, 03:54 PM
We have enough legit territory to squabble over borderlines. Footscray to Sunbury.

Twodogs
16-12-2017, 04:06 PM

Flemington, Kensington, West Melbourne (North Melbourne station is even there)= North Melbourne
Port Melbourne= Going to give this one to the Dees but really as neutral as it gets.

Port should go to South Melbourne given they are alongside one another. And given that South = Sydney then Port goes to Sydney.

Melbourne don't get a supporters area. It was their view for over 100 years that they didn't need one because wealthy benefactors , the MCC and the state government would always bail them out. They made their bed and their mad scramble to claim areas like Casey as a catchment area shows they have finally realised they need a supporter base.

Eastdog
16-12-2017, 04:12 PM

Ascot Vale is an interesting one. I certainly think we have some claim there. Maribyrnong I would say is our territory although that mob north of the Maribyrnong would argue they have some claim like with us and Ascot Vale.

Twodogs
16-12-2017, 04:23 PM
I live in Flemington. My jetty sand

The other side of racecourse road I reckon. The river is the boundary of the West and the rest.

So;

All the horrible old factorys and ruined buildings and rotting boats and stuff on this side of the river= Us
All the nice houses with the decking that runs all the way down the banks to their private jettys and pleasure boats on the other side of the river=Essendon.

bornadog
16-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Ascot Vale is an interesting one. I certainly think we have some claim there. Maribyrnong I would say is our territory although that mob north of the Maribyrnong would argue they have some claim like with us and Ascot Vale.

Ascot Vale and Maribyrong are Essendon territory

Twodogs
16-12-2017, 04:29 PM

Maribyrnong is more disputed than that I reckon. It's the wrong side of the River to be Essendon's but I sort of see their point given you could literally kick a footy from Maribyrnong into Essendon.

bornadog
16-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Maribyrnong is more disputed than that I reckon. It's the wrong side of the River to be Essendon's but I sort of see their point given you could literally kick a footy from Maribyrnong into Essendon.

Maybe it is in the west with the river as the border.

Webby
16-12-2017, 04:59 PM

I'll grant Ascot Vale. In fact I believe Essendon's original home ground was in Ascot Vale. I was just chipping away at off stump on that one, as I reckon a bit of crossover's crept in over the years.

However Maribyrnong is absolutely our turf - not Essendon's.

Prince Imperial
16-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Maribyrnong /Ascot Vale are ranked as our 12th biggest membership area and are 14th for Essendon. They of course have more members than us overall but I'd reckon we'd probably have more in Maribyrnong and they certainly would have far more in Ascot Vale.

Interestingly, this is also the 8th ranked area for North but I reckon like Essendon these would be significantly more located in Ascot Vale.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/interactive-footy-fan-map-afl-clubs-membership-heartlands/news-story/4ceb4875ecacd1b3b04eade7b2dc620b

Twodogs
16-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Maribyrnong /Ascot Vale are ranked as our 12th biggest membership area and are 14th for Essendon. They of course have more members than us overall but I'd reckon we'd probably have more in Maribyrnong and they certainly would have far more in Ascot Vale.

Interestingly, this is also the 8th ranked area for North but I reckon like Essendon these would be significantly more located in Ascot Vale.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/interactive-footy-fan-map-afl-clubs-membership-heartlands/news-story/4ceb4875ecacd1b3b04eade7b2dc620b

Thanks PI, that's a great tool. I wonder if winning the premiership last year has affected us one way or the other in those areas?

I have always said that if you go to Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds or Essendon train stations and check the cars in the car park there are always more bulldoog bumper stickers on the cars parked there than there are Essendon, or North Melbourne for that matter.

That means there are more bulldog supporters living there than we think or people are driving from St Albans and other western suburbs really early in the morning and taking all the parking spots.

Prince Imperial
16-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Thanks PI, that's a great tool. I wonder if winning the premiership last year has affected us one way or the other in those areas?

I have always said that if you go to Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds or Essendon train stations and check the cars in the car park there are always more bulldoog bumper stickers on the cars parked there than there are Essendon, or North Melbourne for that matter.

That means there are more bulldog supporters living there than we think or people are driving from St Albans and other western suburbs really early in the morning and taking all the parking spots.

I don't know if you've seen the Outsiders yet, but in an early scene Bob is driving to the Whitten Oval from his home in North Fitzroy for our 2015 preseason game and he sees a car with a Doggies sticker and he comments that he sees more such stickers on cars everywhere than for any other club. This was after four years of not playing finals and 60 seasons without a premiership! I think we underestimate just how proud and passionate and loyal our supporter base has been over such a long period of heartbreak and struggle.

Interestingly, Essendon/Aberfeldie is our 15th highest area so I suspect we have a decent following along that train line.

Prince Imperial
16-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Just on the Port discussion, the Swans have it as their 10th highest membership area in Melbourne and geographically it makes sense given their South Melbourne heritage. Given the Swans only have 12k Vic members, it's probably no mans land overall though.

Twodogs
16-12-2017, 09:23 PM
I don't know if you've seen the Outsiders yet, but in an early scene Bob is driving to the Whitten Oval from his home in North Fitzroy for our 2015 preseason game and he sees a car with a Doggies sticker and he comments that he sees more such stickers on cars everywhere than for any other club. This was after four years of not playing finals and 60 seasons without a premiership! I think we underestimate just how proud and passionate and loyal our supporter base has been over such a long period of heartbreak and struggle.

Interestingly, Essendon/Aberfeldie is our 15th highest area so I suspect we have a decent following along that train line.

Go ahead, underestimate us. But remember you'll be doing it at your peril. The way you end up after this transaction is completely down to you...

Just on the Port discussion, the Swans have it as their 10th highest membership area in Melbourne and geographically it makes sense given their South Melbourne heritage. Given the Swans only have 12k Vic members, it's probably no mans land overall though.

One of my friends grew up in Port Melbourne (in a pub in Port in the '70s-could you imagine the pleasant Sunday mornings?. Shes got a huge stockpile of stories about the Painters and Dockers, Billy Longly, putty nose Nicholls and all those blokes) anyway she's a huge Swanny supporter.

Eastdog
16-12-2017, 10:59 PM

West Melbourne has Footscray Road. When I see the Port of Melbourne I feel that is part of our heartland.

Twodogs
17-12-2017, 04:16 AM
The Port of Melbourne and Port Melbourne are different places Easty.

Eastdog
17-12-2017, 02:39 PM
The Port of Melbourne and Port Melbourne are different places Easty.

Yep the Port of Melbourne is part of West Melbourne not to be confused with Port Melbourne which is south of the Port of Melbourne.

Twodogs
17-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Yep the Port of Melbourne is part of West Melbourne not to be confused with Port Melbourne which is south of the Port of Melbourne.

My brain is starting to hurt!

Eastdog
17-12-2017, 08:58 PM
My brain is starting to hurt!

Yeah that does give the mind a workout. Anyway back to Port Melbourne the suburb being part of the western suburbs I believe the Port Melbourne Colts did play in the Western Region Football League along with a few teams from the Flemington/Kensington area.

Rocco Jones
17-12-2017, 09:12 PM
I'll grant Ascot Vale. In fact I believe Essendon's original home ground was in Ascot Vale. I was just chipping away at off stump on that one, as I reckon a bit of crossover's crept in over the years.

However Maribyrnong is absolutely our turf - not Essendon's.

Maribyrnong clearly is ours. Footscray Town Hall is HQ for Maribyrnong Council!

ledge
17-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Yeah that does give the mind a workout. Anyway back to Port Melbourne the suburb being part of the western suburbs I believe the Port Melbourne Colts did play in the Western Region Football League along with a few teams from the Flemington/Kensington area.
I played footy for flem/ken at the old Holland park and it was all north supporters back then.
Through my experiences , braybrook all the way to Melton are very bulldog owned and I think out Werribee way we are getting a lot of Sudanese etc coming on board.
Tarniet, hoppers seem to be growing as a bulldog heartland too.

Eastdog
17-12-2017, 09:45 PM
I played footy for flem/ken at the old Holland park and it was all north supporters back then.
Through my experiences , braybrook all the way to Melton are very bulldog owned and I think out Werribee way we are getting a lot of Sudanese etc coming on board.

The premiership for sure would have helped that - hopefully soon we can get another one so it can help it even more.

ledge
17-12-2017, 10:05 PM
North are in the game for Sudanese too, a person I work with also works at north as a Sudanese intergrater, ( that's the best word I could think of) he is Sudanese and I work with a few and they are very nice and relaxed happy race , I would love them to support is despite the medias write ups on the bad ones.

Twodogs
18-12-2017, 12:43 AM
North are in the game for Sudanese too, a person I work with also works at north as a Sudanese intergrater, ( that's the best word I could think of) he is Sudanese and I work with a few and they are very nice and relaxed happy race , I would love them to support is despite the medias write ups on the bad ones.

North are working very hard with the Sudanese community running leadership and social programs. They are doing a good job. I do a but of work at a Neighbourhood house over that way that helps with the programs do I've seen a bit of it in action.

Twodogs
18-12-2017, 12:46 AM

You're quite right, port colts do play in the WFRL. It still doesn't mean that Port Melbourne is in the western suburbs.

Maribyrnong is though.

Twodogs
18-12-2017, 12:48 AM

Some tough boys playing in those Fleming/Ken teams ledge.

Eastdog
18-12-2017, 01:02 AM
Really good to hear ledge and Twodogs a greater insight into some of the community work we do and some other clubs do that doesn't often get much coverage.

Eastdog
18-12-2017, 01:09 AM
You're quite right, port colts do play in the WFRL. It still doesn't mean that Port Melbourne is in the western suburbs.

Maribyrnong is though.

I think the suburb that is West of the Melbourne CBD but east of the Maribyrnong river that in my opinion we can claim as Bulldog territory would be West Melbourne despite North Melbounrne Station being in West Melbourne. In the future North Melbourne station will be called West Melbourne station which makes more sense give its actually in West Melbourne after the whole metro rail tunnel development is completed.

Twodogs
18-12-2017, 02:18 AM
I think the suburb that is West of the Melbourne CBD but east of the Maribyrnong river that in my opinion we can claim as Bulldog territory would be West Melbourne despite North Melbounrne Station being in West Melbourne. In the future North Melbourne station will be called West Melbourne station which makes more sense give its actually in West Melbourne after the whole metro rail tunnel development is completed.

True story. Back in the 1890s Footscray was sick of being called Footscray. The name Footscray was associated with factorys and smells and industry and council wanted to escape the association. So they applied to the state government to change the name to West Footscray.

The State refused the request on the grounds that there already was a suburb called West Melbourne and having two suburbs with the same name was more trouble than it was worth.

ledge
18-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Some tough boys playing in those Fleming/Ken teams ledge.

Early to mid 80s, spent our time winning flags and getting booted out of competitions every second year .
Amazing footballers in that team, could have played in the VFL no problem but they had other things they enjoyed that weren't exactly legal.
Awesome blokes to play with but not against, I did both.

Eastdog
24-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Love this ground.

A few photos I took from the practice game/family day at Whitten Oval.

https://s10.postimg.org/jthuxpg5h/IMG_1614.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/jthuxpg5h/)

https://s10.postimg.org/t1a3ef2n9/IMG_1615.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/t1a3ef2n9/)

https://s10.postimg.org/k6993x8px/IMG_1636.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/k6993x8px/)

https://s10.postimg.org/7rmh3l9hx/IMG_1637.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/7rmh3l9hx/)

https://s10.postimg.org/480jdrrcl/IMG_1638.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/480jdrrcl/)

https://s10.postimg.org/96o1sb2v9/IMG_1639.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/96o1sb2v9/)

Eastdog
24-02-2018, 09:44 PM
https://s10.postimg.org/6i71761fp/IMG_1625.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/6i71761fp/)

https://s10.postimg.org/wqi5wjt91/IMG_1626.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/wqi5wjt91/)

https://s10.postimg.org/7x8lvxkj9/IMG_1632.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/7x8lvxkj9/)

https://s10.postimg.org/uyp71nx1h/IMG_1633.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/uyp71nx1h/)

Twodogs
24-02-2018, 09:48 PM
Early to mid 80s, spent our time winning flags and getting booted out of competitions every second year .
Amazing footballers in that team, could have played in the VFL no problem but they had other things they enjoyed that weren't exactly legal.
Awesome blokes to play with but not against, I did both.

Wa John Sharp playing for Fleming/Ken back then?

He was a lunatic fast bowler I used to play cricket with. He was a champion footballer who could have played VFL but decided to concentrate on cricket.

So he gets invited to Victorian state practice squad. It had been raining and the practice wickets were in a terrible state and very dangerous to bat on. The team manager asked the quicks not to bowl short and everyone agreed but not everyone's remembered, Sharpie forgot while he was bowling to Bill Lawry not once but twice, and was removed from practice early and never invited bac. That's the legend anyway.

Eastdog
25-02-2018, 07:44 PM
More pics I took yesterday from up in the EJ Whitten Stand:

https://s18.postimg.org/uzmktppfp/IMG_1621.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/uzmktppfp/)

https://s18.postimg.org/fe599tin9/IMG_1622.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/fe599tin9/)

https://s18.postimg.org/s5jfgc051/IMG_1623.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/s5jfgc051/)

https://s18.postimg.org/c7apq6qhh/IMG_1624.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/c7apq6qhh/)

https://s18.postimg.org/542ual879/IMG_1628.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/542ual879/)

Eastdog
24-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Crowds over recents at Whitten Oval note not including the VFL games. AFLW and NAB AFL pre season games included.

http://m.austadiums.com/stadium_events.php?id=137

PAST EVENTS
AFLW: Western Bulldogs d Melbourne
Sat 17th March 2018. Crowd: 7,593
AFLW: Western Bulldogs d Carlton
Fri 23rd February 2018. Crowd: 8,987
AFLW: Western Bulldogs d Fremantle
Sun 4th February 2018. Crowd: 8,500
AFLW: Collingwood d Western Bulldogs
Sat 25th February 2017. Crowd: 6,733
AFLW: Melbourne d Western Bulldogs
Sat 18th February 2017. Crowd: 8,000
JLT Series: Melbourne d Western Bulldogs
Sat 18th February 2017. Crowd: 7,581

HIGHEST ATTENDANCES*
AFLW: Western Bulldogs v Fremantle
Sat 4th February 2017. Crowd: 10,100
NAB Challenge: Western Bulldogs v Richmond
Sat 28th February 2015. Crowd: 9,513
AFLW: Western Bulldogs v Carlton
Fri 23rd February 2018. Crowd: 8,987
AFLW: Western Bulldogs v Fremantle
Sun 4th February 2018. Crowd: 8,500
AFLW: Western Bulldogs v Melbourne
Sat 18th February 2017. Crowd: 8,000
AFLW: Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Crows
Fri 10th February 2017. Crowd: 7,669
*CROWD DATA SINCE 2003

Eastdog
15-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Another Whitten Oval experience missed the training today so hopefully when I’m next there I catch that. Will endeavour to drive there one day as I’ve taken the train all the times I’ve been but probably better with the train to not worry about a park. It’s a special place!

https://i.postimg.cc/Xrfxc48y/159-D7-AA5-013-B-4451-89-F8-49988225-E50-A.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Xrfxc48y)

https://i.postimg.cc/w180m7hp/51-A90-F9-D-57-C6-4-B36-AD23-0-F900-EBDDCBF.jpg (https://postimg.cc/w180m7hp)

https://i.postimg.cc/KKmf0wqp/B8-CCEF0-F-4-F18-435-E-8-A4-B-BB3508421-DBD.jpg (https://postimg.cc/KKmf0wqp)

https://i.postimg.cc/mtFmkQ1j/F8709-B44-892-B-4-E95-9366-AF3-E04-BECCF2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mtFmkQ1j)

https://i.postimg.cc/mPm8hRy3/500-B83-AB-D8-BD-4808-A3-C1-A7-B6056214-BA.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mPm8hRy3)

https://i.postimg.cc/SJ7ZFcXv/9-DBB19-FF-84-A1-4-EC3-8-C8-F-32-B8-C1267-BED.jpg (https://postimg.cc/SJ7ZFcXv)

https://i.postimg.cc/FYrT913s/FA5533-AB-8536-4851-907-F-A736922954-AB.jpg (https://postimg.cc/FYrT913s)

Twodogs
16-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Believe me Westy, you don't want to be driving around the inner west if you don't have to. There's lots of traffic, it's prone to gridlock at the drop of a hat and there are lots if insane drivers who view everything as a competition.

azabob
16-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Believe me Westy, you don't want to be driving around the inner west if you don't have to. There's lots of traffic, it's prone to gridlock at the drop of a hat and there are lots if insane drivers who view everything as a competition.

Pre-empting Easty moving to the West?

Twodogs
16-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Pre-empting Easty moving to the West?

The west is awash with Eastys these days.

azabob
16-12-2018, 02:36 PM

So very true TD, so very true...

Eastdog
16-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Yeah the train trip I enjoy very easy getting in yesterday although I took the tram in to Southern Cross Station as the trains on my train line (Belgrave/Lilydale line) were replaced by buses. Parking options seem limited near Whitten Oval with the carpark at WO an option and maybe West Footscray station if its not full.

Eastdog
16-12-2018, 05:51 PM

Probably a lot moving to the inner west and north as they are being priced out of buying in the east although the inner north now is very pricey so for people being close to the city at an affordable price the west offers that.

Eastdog
17-12-2018, 04:34 PM
A few more photos

https://i.postimg.cc/qzcmJHVc/90-B9154-F-A7-C7-48-FA-BDC2-E2-A671-C65428.jpg (https://postimg.cc/qzcmJHVc)

https://i.postimg.cc/MMR791z0/955-AC4-E0-6-E81-49-B7-844-A-4-F1-DE238-E10-E.jpg (https://postimg.cc/MMR791z0)

HOSE B ROMERO
18-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Probably a lot moving to the inner west and north as they are being priced out of buying in the east although the inner north now is very pricey so for people being close to the city at an affordable price the west offers that.

Some cheap warehouse living around Tottenham apparently :rolleyes:

Twodogs
18-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Some cheap warehouse living around Tottenham apparently :rolleyes:

Mate, it'd be cheaper in the Tottenham in London!

Eastdog
18-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Tottenham is mostly an industrial suburb I believe. Braybrook is residential along with the other suburbs in the City of Maribyrnong. Brooklyn I believe is more on the industrial side but has residential as well.

Twodogs
18-12-2018, 10:44 PM
Tottenham is mostly an industrial suburb I believe. Braybrook is residential along with the other suburbs in the City of Maribyrnong. Brooklyn I believe is more on the industrial side but has residential as well.

Totty is mostly residential these days, most of the factory's have closed but with the Westgate tunnel going through a lot of houses may well have to go. 20 years ago when I was looking to buy a hide a mate of mine who works in real estate warned me to not buy on the Paramount rd side of Tottenham because they were subject to compolsury acquisition.

Brooklyn is being turned into a huge housing estate, most of the parkland along Francis st is being redeveloped now. In fact I drove past a plot last week that had been levelled the day before and the day after they put a new building up. Mum was in the car with me and said "how King has that building been there?" I had to admit that I had drove past the day before and it wasn't there then.

Braybrook is, well, it's Braybrook where the locals all have the postcode tattooed on their necks!

merantau
19-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Totty is mostly residential these days, most of the factory's have closed but with the Westgate tunnel going through a lot of houses may well have to go. 20 years ago when I was looking to buy a hide a mate of mine who works in real estate warned me to not buy on the Paramount rd side of Tottenham because they were subject to compolsury acquisition.

Brooklyn is being turned into a huge housing estate, most of the parkland along Francis st is being redeveloped now. In fact I drove past a plot last week that had been levelled the day before and the day after they put a new building up. Mum was in the car with me and said "how King has that building been there?" I had to admit that I had drove past the day before and it wasn't there then.

Braybrook is, well, it's Braybrook where the locals all have the postcode tattooed on their necks!

Ah, Braybrook and Tottenham. My heart beats faster at the very mention of those magical names. A Braybrook childhood and a Tottenham Tech education were great preparation for the journey called - LIFE. I had a fantastic childhood it the West and would not swap one second of it for somewhere else. We were free to roam far and wide and we did. Albion, Ardeer, Deer Park, Sunshine - West, North and East - St Albans, Braybrook, Maidstone, Tottenham, Brooklyn. This was our playground. We used to take the bus from South Rd to the Western Oval. It was always a great buzz taking the short walk from the Drill Hall to the ground. Away games - it was always the train from Tottenham Station.

Twodogs
19-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Ah, Braybrook and Tottenham. My heart beats faster at the very mention of those magical names. A Braybrook childhood and a Tottenham Tech education were great preparation for the journey called - LIFE. I had a fantastic childhood it the West and would not swap one second of it for somewhere else. We were free to roam far and wide and we did. Albion, Ardeer, Deer Park, Sunshine - West, North and East - St Albans, Braybrook, Maidstone, Tottenham, Brooklyn. This was our playground. We used to take the bus from South Rd to the Western Oval. It was always a great buzz taking the short walk from the Drill Hall to the ground. Away games - it was always the train from Tottenham Station.

That reminds me. One day not long ago I was complaining to my mum about my daughter and something that she had done, I can't even remember what it was now. Mum looked me in the eye and said "when you were her age, you went to the milk bar around the corner one night. I didn't hear from you for a fortnight. You finally rang me from Sydney"

D'oh!

merantau
19-12-2018, 10:25 AM
That reminds me. One day not long ago I was complaining to my mum about my daughter and something that she had done, I can't even remember what it was now. Mum looked me in the eye and said "when you were her age, you went to the milk bar around the corner one night. I didn't hear from you for a fortnight. You finally rang me from Sydney"

D'oh!

Thanks for the belly laugh!

Vred
19-12-2018, 07:40 PM

D'oh!

Jesus, sounds like one hell of a bender ;)

Twodogs
19-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Jesus, sounds like one hell of a bender ;)

I loved a good bender back in the day! I wish I could remember more of them, I'd write a book.

Vred
19-12-2018, 08:03 PM
I loved a good bender back in the day! I wish I could remember more of them, I'd write a book.

In my teens when I was living in Brisbane I went on a bender, started Thursday midday and woke up Sunday afternoon with no shirt, phone, or wallet somewhere on the Gold Coast. Do not even remotely remember those days in-between.

My younger brother topped me tho, for his 21st he started partying in Melbourne and woke up in Bali, somehow.

Twodogs
19-12-2018, 10:27 PM
In my teens when I was living in Brisbane I went on a bender, started Thursday midday and woke up Sunday afternoon with no shirt, phone, or wallet somewhere on the Gold Coast. Do not even remotely remember those days in-between.

My younger brother topped me tho, for his 21st he started partying in Melbourne and woke up in Bali, somehow.

Poh! That's elite partying.

Back in the '80s I worked in an office and right behind the receptionist was a white board that had everybody's name and their whereabouts if they weren't in the office. At the bottom it had a list of who was off on leave, what sort of leave it was and that sort of thing, typically it said something like Judy: Sick leave, has the flu won't be back until at least Thursday. Divert her calls to Adam.

One day I walked past and there was an entry in the sick leave section. Rohan: Has woken up stark naked in a beanbag, doesn't know where he is. Won't be in today, take a message.

bornadog
19-12-2018, 11:54 PM

Back in the '80s I worked in an office and right behind the receptionist was a white board that had everybody's name and their whereabouts if they weren't in the office. At the bottom it had a list of who was off on leave, what sort of leave it was and that sort of thing, typically it said something like Judy: Sick leave, has the flu won't be back until at least Thursday. Divert her calls to Adam.

One day I walked past and there was an entry in the sick leave section. Rohan: Has woken up stark naked in a beanbag, doesn't know where he is. Won't be in today, take a message.

These are better stories than the thread title. :D

Eastdog
16-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Was good when I was at the Whitten Oval for the family day a month ago to see a few displays out in the Barkers Cafe about the history of the club and the ground including photos of the fightback and the redevelopment in the early 2000s with photos of then prime minister John Howard and then president David Smorgon.

Also love they have the old Bulldog there from the 80s footage I saw on YouTube of the fightback. Checked out the Bulldog shop but have to check out the Bulldog museum sometime.

Are you able to access the Bulldog museum at VFL games probably the best opportunity as during the week busy with work etc.

craigsahibee
18-01-2019, 03:51 PM

I have never met a Rohan that parties like that. Hang on, I've never met a Rohan that parties full stop.

Twodogs
18-01-2019, 08:00 PM
I have never met a Rohan that parties like that. Hang on, I've never met a Rohan that parties full stop.

Believe it or not this particular Rohan played league footy back in the '80s with North Melbourne. The physical demands of playing AFL were somewhat less rigorous back then.

But I know what you mean. We had two Rohans working with us. One played league footy and the other one glorified in the nickname of Pencil Head! Although Pencil Head drove stock cars. Fast. One Friday night we did St Albans to the corner of Spencer St and Bourke st (the Beehive Tavern?) in less than 20 minutes. I will never forget the first time I got into his car, he had these special seat belts that really strapped you into the seat. He just said "strap yourself in. We are going to be travelling"

Eastdog
09-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Western/Whitten Oval Records:

https://afltables.com/afl/venues/western_oval.html

Eastdog
31-01-2021, 06:14 PM
I have mentioned I have trained it to the Whitten Oval a number of times but today I decided to bite the bullet and drove to the Whitten Oval. Great drive and now I have another option apart from the train. My first time I have driven there myself.

Go Dogs!

Twodogs
31-01-2021, 06:59 PM
I have mentioned I have trained it to the Whitten Oval a number of times but today I decided to bite the bullet and drove to the Whitten Oval. Great drive and now I have another option apart from the train. My first time I have driven there myself.

Go Dogs!

How long did it take Easty?

comrade
31-01-2021, 07:34 PM

Go Dogs!

Any particular reason you did it today Easty or just wanted to go for a Sunday drive?

jeemak
31-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Great stuff Easty!

Eastdog
31-01-2021, 07:58 PM
How long did it take Easty?

Wasn’t keeping track of that but didn’t seem that long to me driving from Balwyn. Was a bit of traffic so all dependant on that. Went via Victoria st/parade route Dynon Road to Footscray.

Eastdog
31-01-2021, 07:59 PM
Any particular reason you did it today Easty or just wanted to go for a Sunday drive?

Just went for a Sunday drive :)

comrade
31-01-2021, 09:29 PM

Good day for it!

Eastdog
31-01-2021, 09:33 PM
Good day for it!

Yep was very nice day today. Not too hot either. Quite the opposite on Friday with that rain.

jeemak
31-01-2021, 09:34 PM

....and possibly a little bit eager for footy to start up!

Eastdog
31-01-2021, 09:35 PM
....and possibly a little bit eager for footy to start up!

Yeah I’m looking forward to the footy and being able to go again that’s for sure.

Twodogs
02-02-2021, 12:37 AM
Good day for it!

A Sunday you mean? I can't think of a better day for a Sunday drive.

Eastdog
02-02-2021, 01:00 AM
A Sunday you mean? I can't think of a better day for a Sunday drive.

So for WO matchdays if the WO carpark is full where would be the best place to park the car nearby. The carpark at the train station on Cross street is another option. Buckingham st is the east direction street only one way and Errol st is the west direction one way off Victoria street :) I drove Barkly st to the ground on Sunday.

Twodogs
02-02-2021, 12:18 PM
So for WO matchdays if the WO carpark is full where would be the best place to park the car nearby. The carpark at the train station on Cross street is another option. Buckingham st is the east direction street only one way and Errol st is the west direction one way off Victoria street :) I drove Barkly st to the ground on Sunday.

There's not a lot of spots. When I lived in West Footscray people would park out the front of my house on VFL matchdays and I was a 20 minute walk away from the ground.

Axe Man
02-02-2021, 12:23 PM

I think the train will still be your best option on a matchday. As Twodogs says there is very limited parking near the ground.

comrade
02-02-2021, 12:25 PM
My plan on VFL match days is to get there early and park in that side street opposite the car dealerships.

Eastdog
02-02-2021, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah at least now I have 2 options via car or train but yeah parking inevitably is always the issue. Twodogs house could be an option :D

Eastdog
02-02-2021, 06:17 PM
My plan on VFL match days is to get there early and park in that side street opposite the car dealerships.

Southampton st, Everard st, Swan st, Eleanor st I believe. Yeah on Sunday I drove a bit on Eleanor st to get back out to Barkly st going back home.

jeemak
02-02-2021, 10:18 PM
Southampton st, Everard st, Swan st, Eleanor st I believe. Yeah on Sunday I drove a bit on Eleanor st to get back out to Barkly st going back home.

Don't take the bait Comrade, Easty is trying to suss out specifics so he can steal your car spot!

SonofScray
03-02-2021, 10:00 AM
1) Ride my bike from Sunshine, past Tottenham Station down Rupert St to West Footscray and chain it up at VUWO.

2) Park on the Sunshine Rd side of the train station car park.

Back in the day we’d park down Stanlake St and walk, but those streets are chockers these days.

Twodogs
03-02-2021, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah at least now I have 2 options via car or train but yeah parking inevitably is always the issue. Twodogs house could be an option :D

I don't live in Clive st anymore Easty,. That was two houses ago I'm in Yarraville now where I grew up. Just before he died my dad asked me to move back in with my mum. I was undecided about it but she had a fall so my son and I moved in not long after and with covid and all that's happened lately I'm glad we did. I'm still walking distance from the ground though but it's a bit further away. People don't park out the front on Matchday here.

Eastdog
05-02-2021, 01:13 PM
I don't live in Clive st anymore Easty,. That was two houses ago I'm in Yarraville now where I grew up. Just before he died my dad asked me to move back in with my mum. I was undecided about it but she had a fall so my son and I moved in not long after and with covid and all that's happened lately I'm glad we did. I'm still walking distance from the ground though but it's a bit further away. People don't park out the front on Matchday here.

Yes sounds like you made a good decision. Yeah I remember you used to live there Twodogs in West Footscray just past Warleigh Road.

comrade
05-02-2021, 01:22 PM

You're one of those latte sipping Yarraville hipsters now, TD?

Twodogs
05-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Yes sounds like you made a good decision. Yeah I remember you used to live there Twodogs in West Footscray just past Warleigh Road.

I did, in Clive Street. It was an awesome place to live. A really good neighbourhood close to the Barkly Street shopping precinct and Some supermarket. Neighbours were nice and lots had kids the same age as my kids. Close to public transport-i could be at telstradome in 20 minutes. But nothing lasts forever I guess.

Eastdog
05-02-2021, 04:23 PM
I did, in Clive Street. It was an awesome place to live. A really good neighbourhood close to the Barkly Street shopping precinct and Some supermarket. Neighbours were nice and lots had kids the same age as my kids. Close to public transport-i could be at telstradome in 20 minutes. But nothing lasts forever I guess.

Not sure where I read it but they said that West Footscray was a suburb in Melbourne that had a strong community spirit.

Twodogs
05-02-2021, 08:28 PM
Not sure where I read it but they said that West Footscray was a suburb in Melbourne that had a strong community spirit.

It certainly does. A great place to live. I used to see Tory Dickson and Tom Campbell around there quite a bit. I think they must have lived locally.

bornadog
05-02-2021, 09:41 PM

Which end of Clive st? I lived on Barkley st for awhile, near the intersection of Russell which crosses Clive. Went to West Footscray Primary on Argle st.

Twodogs
05-02-2021, 10:42 PM
Which end of Clive st? I lived on Barkley st for awhile, near the intersection of Russell which crosses Clive. Went to West Footscray Primary on Argle st.

No 4. Our next door neighbours were on the corner of Clarke street. Russell was the other end of the block.

bornadog
06-02-2021, 12:01 AM
No 4. Our next door neighbours were on the corner of Clarke street. Russell was the other end of the block.

3 min walk around the corner from me, but I was there in 1961 to 63. My uncle ran the fish and chips shop, and he went overseas for a few years, so the old man agreed to run it. The trams use to come right pass our door those days. i remember walking to the ground as a 5 year old for home matches.

Twodogs
06-02-2021, 12:35 AM
3 min walk around the corner from me, but I was there in 1961 to 63. My uncle ran the fish and chips shop, and he went overseas for a few years, so the old man agreed to run it. The trams use to come right pass our door those days. i remember walking to the ground as a 5 year old for home matches.

I drove past the other day and the fish shop was gone. It must be the first fish shop I've seen close down ever.

Happy Days
06-02-2021, 11:32 AM

We even have a record store now.

comrade
06-02-2021, 12:05 PM
We even have a record store now.

Having a Grill'd on such a prominent corner must kill you :D

Happy Days
06-02-2021, 12:24 PM
Having a Grill'd on such a prominent corner must kill you :D

I can live with Grill'd. Better than the empty shop on the corner opposite.

Bulldog4life
06-02-2021, 12:40 PM
When I was a kid we lived near the corner of Williamstown rd and Francis street Yarraville and walked to and from all home games. A good walk but it was a breeze when we won.

bornadog
06-02-2021, 01:06 PM
I drove past the other day and the fish shop was gone. It must be the first fish shop I've seen close down ever.

It has been gone for a very long time. My uncle ran it up to the early 80s.

Twodogs
06-02-2021, 07:56 PM

Born and bred mate. I lived here when local cuisine was the hotdogs the bakery sold and Fred's was the fashion capital!

As Ollie Olsen says:

https://youtu.be/Izi0ZYjKFgs

Twodogs
06-02-2021, 08:01 PM
It has been gone for a very long time. My uncle ran it up to the early 80s.

You've been living in East Melbourne for too long. It was there until early last year.

::p

Eastdog
06-02-2021, 10:41 PM
Born and bred mate. I lived here when local cuisine was the hotdogs the bakery sold and Fred's was the fashion capital!

As Ollie Olsen says:

https://youtu.be/Izi0ZYjKFgs

Your an old-school Yarraville man TD :D

My grandad worked in the CBA in old school Footscray and old school Port Melbourne :)

bornadog
06-02-2021, 11:39 PM
You've been living in East Melbourne for too long. It was there until early last year.

::p

Ok. we are talking different shops. My uncle owned the building and sold it off and the new people had a different business there. His shop was on the the north side of Barkley st between Argle st and Buxton.

The fish and chip shop you are talking about is on the opposite side of Barkley (south side of street) but close to Russell st - that was opened after my Uncle's closed.

Twodogs
07-02-2021, 07:49 PM
Your an old-school Yarraville man TD :D

My grandad worked in the CBA in old school Footscray and old school Port Melbourne :)

I can remember when Dennis Pagan was coach of Yarraville.

Eastdog
07-02-2021, 07:52 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Pagan

From Wikipedia: Pagan's coaching career began when he took the role of captain-coach of the Yarraville Football Club in the VFA second division in 1979. He piloted the team to the 1980 minor premiership and Grand Final, but the club lost the Grand Final against Brunswick.

Twodogs
07-02-2021, 08:50 PM
Ok. we are talking different shops. My uncle owned the building and sold it off and the new people had a different business there. His shop was on the the north side of Barkley st between Argle st and Buxton.

The fish and chip shop you are talking about is on the opposite side of Barkley (south side of street) but close to Russell st - that was opened after my Uncle's closed.

Yep. That's the one I mean, two doors down from Russell Street. I think that there was a fish shop in Essex Street that we used to walk to from Whitten oval at halftime back in the '70s. It was still there last time I looked.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Pagan

From Wikipedia: Pagan's coaching career began when he took the role of captain-coach of the Yarraville Football Club in the VFA second division in 1979. He piloted the team to the 1980 minor premiership and Grand Final, but the club lost the Grand Final against Brunswick.

That GF was one of my worst days at the footy ever. We really should have won. That side was far too good to be playing in the second division of the VFA.

I remember one day at halftime Pagan told the players they were playing like cowboys with pineapples on their heads. Still trying to figure that one out.

Bulldog4life
08-02-2021, 09:58 AM

I saw a lot of the Yarraville matches from the 60's onwards. I vaguely remember Don Whitten had Ted give the 3/4 time address to the players. Not sure which game though.

Twodogs
08-02-2021, 02:12 PM
I saw a lot of the Yarraville matches from the 60's onwards. I vaguely remember Don Whitten had Ted give the 3/4 time address to the players. Not sure which game though.

Before my time. I started following them when David Thorpe was coach. I think it was in 1977.

Bulldog4life
10-02-2021, 01:36 PM
Before my time. I started following them when David Thorpe was coach. I think it was in 1977.

Ok. For a number of years it was the dogs on a Saturday and the Eagles on a Sunday. I stopped following as much when the were delegated to 2nd division. 1961 was a great year. Eagles won the premiership and doggies played off in the GF. A lot of the Yarraville shops had the Eagles and doggies colours showing.

Twodogs
10-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Ok. For a number of years it was the dogs on a Saturday and the Eagles on a Sunday. I stopped following as much when the were delegated to 2nd division. 1961 was a great year. Eagles won the premiership and doggies played off in the GF. A lot of the Yarraville shops had the Eagles and doggies colours showing.

I really enjoyed the fact that you could go into the rooms at halftime and the players stayed for a pissup after the game, I can remember one night Richard Radziminski decided to do a poll among his teammates and the opposition players about whether sex the night before a game affected player performance. He got some very odd looks! Winning lots of games was pretty good too.

Bulldog4life
11-02-2021, 10:45 AM
I really enjoyed the fact that you could go into the rooms at halftime and the players stayed for a pissup after the game, I can remember one night Richard Radziminski decided to do a poll among his teammates and the opposition players about whether sex the night before a game affected player performance. He got some very odd looks! Winning lots of games was pretty good too.

Yes good days TD. Rags was a local too wasn't he?

Twodogs
11-02-2021, 06:33 PM
Yes good days TD. Rags was a local too wasn't he?

From the FDL from memory.

He wore three different numbers in his fourteen games for Footscray