PDA

View Full Version : Brad Hardie on SEN Geoff Poulter Feature Hour

Webby
21-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Available on SEN Website or app for next few days.

Pretty interesting interview. Seems to still have a strong bond with the club. Spoke about not getting along with Malthouse. Not in great detail, but put it down to his dislike of Malthouse's style of "ruling by fear" and "preying on the weak". Simple, personality/philosophical clash. Not just philosophies on man management style either - but obviously in how to approach playing the back pocket position..!

The other interesting bit was that he says we got $270k for his move to the Bears and that he almost came back to the Dogs in 1990 after the rally and Wheeler's appointment. Apparently Peter Gordon wasn't able to get it over the line, but that Gordon and (from memory) Wheeler and Hawkins had flown up to Queensland and had the discussions.

Worth a listen.

Templeton31
21-08-2014, 10:31 AM
thanks Webby. will do.

Twodogs
21-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Pretty interesting interview. Seems to still have a strong bond with the club. Spoke about not getting along with Malthouse. Not in great detail, but put it down to his dislike of Malthouse's style of "ruling by fear" and "preying on the weak". Simple, personality/philosophical clash. Not just philosophies on man management style either - but obviously in how to approach playing the back pocket position..!

The other interesting bit was that he says we got $270k for his move to the Bears and that he almost came back to the Dogs in 1990 after the rally and Wheeler's appointment. Apparently Peter Gordon wasn't able to get it over the line, but that Gordon and (from memory) Wheeler and Hawkins had flown up to Queensland and had the discussions.

Worth a listen.

We got fined for draft tampering or salary cap violation. The story goes that the club employed Brad's GF as a receptionist but didn't really expect her to come into work.

Webby
21-08-2014, 12:52 PM
We got fined for draft tampering or salary cap violation. The story goes that the club employed Brad's GF as a receptionist but didn't really expect her to come into work.

Yep, that's my memory, too. Only thing is that that was in 1986. With the cap coming in, the benefit for us was that we could obviously hide some of his salary, and the benefit for the Hardies was obviously a taxation one. In any case, we got caught and he was up to Brisbane anyway. Regardless, he was off in any case as he and Malthouse hated each other.

I just found the potential return in 1990 interesting. I heard a whisper about it, but had dismissed it as drunken pub talk or romantic, wishful thinking. The baggage if the cap fiddle in '86 might've had something to do with the VFL vetoing it.... That or the 100,000 "Up Yours Oakley" bumper stickers!!

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-08-2014, 09:55 PM

Worth a listen.
Hardie regrettably lost his way under Malthouse through a lack of discipline and struggled after leaving Footscray to play with the Brisbane Bears and from then on continued to be an an average performer.

bornadog
22-08-2014, 11:08 PM
I had a listen today at lunch time and enjoined the interview. It was a real shame Hardie left us after winning Brownlow. Loved his 1985 season.

Remi Moses
22-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Hardie regrettably lost his way under Malthouse through a lack of discipline and struggled after leaving Footscray to play with the Brisbane Bears and from then on continued to be an an average performer.

Played on his own terms often.
Never the same after he left,and think he'd be a great player in a good side.

The Doctor
23-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Absolutely brilliant player.

One of the best readers of the play I've ever seen. He was a creative type of back pocket (or small defender) not in the traditional dour, negating style that Malthouse was himself. Hardie would pick up 30 possies playing in the BP and run upfield and kick a goal or two. No wonder he and Malthouse clashed. I would say that Malthouse didn't know how to deal with him as Hardie brought a new dimension to BP play, obviously not initiated by Malthouse.

Malthouse cost us our best player of the time in my view.

jeemak
23-08-2014, 01:42 AM
One of my earliest treasured memories was being woken up in my mother's bed at the age of six and being told Brad Hardie won the Brownlow Medal.

I could tell my mum had hoped he would do well, and was completely chuffed that he won. I look back on '85 as the year I became conscious of football. I went to the finals and got to feel what it's like to be a Bulldog.

My family were long suffering just like the vast majority of the families of all WOOF posters, but one of the things that has kept me believing was the hope and joy that first year of football consciousness brought to me as a little kid, through the optimism of my family throughout the '85 season.

Good times.

ledge
23-08-2014, 08:02 AM
I was with him the night before he won it , we all trotted down to the Waterloo cup hotel then off to watch Ronnie James in the VFA Gf.
I was in the backseat of his Alan mance car,he spent the first ten minutes doing burnouts in the asphalt car park at Western oval before we left.
He had some very good games at Brisbane, became a goal sneak.
He might have been from WA but his personality was western suburbs, friendly larrikin who loved a bit of mischief.
All round good bloke who always said it how he saw it

Hotdog60
23-08-2014, 08:52 AM
We should have had Hardie under Wheeler or Wallace, I think they had the mind set for innovation more than Malthouse who has always been my way or the highway.

ledge
23-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Malthouse likes robots, wheeler and Wallace both let you back yourself

BulldogBelle
23-08-2014, 01:05 PM
I think that the story was that Doug Hawkins came in late for training one day and Malthouse berated him in front of the team and fans present. Words like."You are a drunk and you will never be any good your father was a drunk and he will never be any good". Hardie was nearby and grabbed Malthouse by the jumper and bailed him up against the race wall and gave him a serve about berating the kid's hero in such a way.

Anyhow, Malthouse never apologised and so the relationship just worsened.

Remi Moses
23-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Coach runs the show at a Football club ( the way it should be )
Mick might be the biggest prick on earth , but he has 3 flags .

Remi Moses
23-08-2014, 05:14 PM
I think that the story was that Doug Hawkins came in late for training one day and Malthouse berated him in front of the team and fans present. Words like."You are a drunk and you will never be any good your father was a drunk and he will never be any good". Hardie was nearby and grabbed Malthouse by the jumper and bailed him up against the race wall and gave him a serve about berating the kid's hero in such a way.

Doug talks glowingly of Malthouse on what I've heard.
Pretty ordinary form from bringing his family into it.

Twodogs
23-08-2014, 07:30 PM

He does but then Doug never really bags anyone in public.

KT31
23-08-2014, 09:56 PM

Agree, but it was a very different time and Coaches never tip toed in those days.

Twodogs
24-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Agree, but it was a very different time and Coaches never tip toed in those days.

True about it being a different time. There was a big hoo-hah about Malthouse's appointment being the first full time coach in the history of the club. How he would be able to sit in his office and think up statergies. From memory he was getting 30, 000 a year.

ratsmac
24-08-2014, 03:14 AM

I've never heard that before. Thanks, it just gives me another reason to hate the self righteous prick.