PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs draft elite KPF........... Marcus Bontempelli

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 01:55 PM
I don’t post a lot to WOOF, but taking on the challenge outlined by the ‘Woof Analysis’ thread, re increasing new threads / posts, I thought I’d raise a question I’ve been turning over in my head.

It’s been briefly discussed within the “Marcus Bontempelli” thread.... Could the “Bont” be developed into the Key forward we have been crying out for???

Its well recognised internally and externally that his potential is massive....

He has the key base attributes of a KPF,
• Height - reports have him now at 194 to 195cm, could he realistically get to 196cm or beyond? He is only 18.
• Extensive arm length/reach
• Good spring / leap
• A football brain – he reads the play well
• Already demonstrated the ability to crash packs forward albeit at only 84kg.
• Ability to stay in the contest once the ball hits the ground,
• Knows where the sticks are in congestion (just ask Frawley) has to be GOTY winner
• Raking left foot.
• Endurance

CHF Forward Comparison’s:

Nick Riewoldt 193cm 96kg
Jack Riewoldt 195cm 94kg
Buddy Franklin 196cm 103kg
Matthew Pav 192cm 100kg
Jeremy Cameron 194cm 91kg
Jon Patton 197cm 100kg
Tom Hawkins 197cm 105kg
Sam Reid 196cm 96kg

Questions / thoughts.

How do we ultimately develop him physically, as in how big do we make him: 195cm 103kg key forward or a 195cm 93kg midfielder?
If he continues to grow is he too tall to be a midfielder?
Does he have the initial burst of speed to separate on the lead. Does he have a forwards nous to lead to the ball?
Would he be better suited to CHF or FF?
Does this change our draft strategy? KPD > Rebounding HBF > Outside mid with electrifying pace and skill > KPF?

Cyberdoggie
21-08-2014, 02:24 PM
I'll guess it will depend on how he develops physically. He will start to put on more weight and may slow down a tad as a result.
Marcus has elite handball skills and he's very good at moving through traffic. All midfielder qualities.

I think He may emulate Pavlich from a few years ago but with being a midfielder first forward second.

ledge
21-08-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm with you on it

bornadog
21-08-2014, 02:28 PM
I'll guess it will depend on how he develops physically. He will start to put on more weight and may slow down a tad as a result.
Marcus has elite handball skills and he's very good at moving through traffic. All midfielder qualities.

I think He may emulate Pavlich from a few years ago but with being a midfielder first forward second.

Agree it depends on what happens to his body. From 18 years old through to 21, the body really changes in shape and size and he may well grow taller. Hopefully he doesn't put on too much weight but gains lots of core strength.

whythelongface
21-08-2014, 02:28 PM
I actually thought he was 'only' 192cm - thus the same size as a Matthew Lloyd.

It is a good topic for discussion. I honestly think his best attribute is his ability to use his height to release the ball quickly by hand, therefore he is dynamic in a midfield role. In saying that he is good overhead and can kick the ball well (like most of our team he needs to work on his set shots) but overall there is no doubt he could also play in the forward line.

Personally I wouldn't want him to solely play as FF as I believe he would be wasted there. In years to come he and Macrae and Libba will form the no. 1 midfield trio in the comp. Each has different attributes that they bring along to the midfield role and, as a whole, will prove very difficult to match up on.

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I'd love to see him developed into a CHF where he can still be involve in contests up the ground. A massive call, I think he could be as good as Nick Riewoldt.

I know there is trend to bigger body midfielders, but are there any 196cm midfielders out there?

Its also a lot easier to draft another midfiled tallent to compensate for his loss in the middle.

Mofra
21-08-2014, 02:36 PM
I'll be different. I think we should play him where he plays his best football - in traffic.

He doesn't have that explosive first step (harder to create separation from opponents) or a super-leap.

He'll be an "ok" marking forward option or an outstanding high-forward/mid option. I'm opting for the latter.

Scraggers
21-08-2014, 02:36 PM
It's amazing the difference 7cm makes ... The difference in size between Tom Hawkins and Nat Fyfe

Tom is considered a tall forward at 197cm, whilst Nat a tall-ish midfielder at 190cm.

I hope Bonts does become that KP for us, but I feel he is destined to play midfield or wing.

Remi Moses
21-08-2014, 02:48 PM
He's got all the attributes of playing wherever he wants, but I wonder if they can teach Marcus to run to the right spots to be a key forward? I like the Nat Fyfe comparison .
Interesting food for thought, and a good tgread

Scorlibo
21-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Could a trademark in-game coaching move for our side from 2015-2025 be: Stringer to the midfield, Bontempelli forward? To me, Stringer seems to play his best footy around goals while Bonts, as others have mentioned, has such elite hands that would be wasted anywhere that's not congested. Yet both can be impact players in the midfield and up forward respectively.

Wherever they settle, it's incredibly exciting to have players who look like they can genuinely hold down multiple positions to an elite standard, we haven't had that luxury since the days of Johnno and Judas.

Bulldog Joe
21-08-2014, 03:00 PM
I am with you on his suitability.

For me the question will revolve around where he can offer the most for the team.

Personally, I think initially he will move to midfield but be a goalkicking midfielder. He is probably close to the ideal old style wingman with the ability to mark, run and deliver.

His amazing reach and ball control mean he can be a very dangerous player every time he goes forward.

Sedat
21-08-2014, 03:17 PM
I'll be different. I think we should play him where he plays his best football - in traffic.

He doesn't have that explosive first step (harder to create separation from opponents) or a super-leap.

He'll be an "ok" marking forward option or an outstanding high-forward/mid option. I'm opting for the latter.
What I've seen from him in the leading forward role in the last 4-6 weeks, he looks a complete natural - he runs to the right spots, he is a smart reader of the play and therefore manages to get separation on opponents. I reckon you're selling him short by saying he has been 'ok' in that role - I would say he's been very good, which is staggering for a skinny bottom ager in his first season.

Honestly he could play anywhere and be a success at it. In that respect, the Pavlich, Fyfe and even Hird comparisons are very apt.

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Could a trademark in-game coaching move for our side from 2015-2025 be: Stringer to the midfield, Bontempelli forward? To me, Stringer seems to play his best footy around goals while Bonts, as others have mentioned, has such elite hands that would be wasted anywhere that's not congested. Yet both can be impact players in the midfield and up forward respectively.

Wherever they settle, it's incredibly exciting to have players who look like they can genuinely hold down multiple positions to an elite standard, we haven't had that luxury since the days of Johnno and Judas.

You have hit the nail on the head, future looks bright at the Dogs, exciting times. Even after losses like North Im still upbeat these days, the light is shining brightly at the end of the tunnel.

Maddog37
21-08-2014, 03:27 PM
That's nailed it for me Sedat. James Hird clone.

Not quick but gets the ball. Balanced and good vision. Natural feel for the game and just seems to have that knack of making things happen when the team needs it.

A couple of times already he has threatened to drag the team across the line through sheer hard work.

always right
21-08-2014, 03:27 PM
A tall big bodied midfielder with great hands, a raking left foot kick, evasiveness and a footy brain. That's the bloke I want to see creating havoc in the midfield. The fact he can be rested up forward where he provides a nithmare match-up for opposition defenders is simply the cream on top. A unique talent and asset to our club.

Twodogs
21-08-2014, 03:36 PM
The sky is the limit with this kid I reckon. To answer your question about where he should play. Put your best players where the ball is. He should play mostly in the midfield and rest forward. Especially while he is still growing. Bont reminds me of James Hird a bit in terms of his versatility. Hird won a Brownlow playing as a midfielder but almost everyone remembers him as a CHF.

I see a future with Macrae and Stringer and Bontempelli and Hunter and Dalhaus and Honeychurch and Hrovat causing mayhem in the opposition coach's box and on the ground switching between attack and midfield.

Hotdog60
21-08-2014, 07:30 PM
He would need to do a bit of work on his set shot kicking to be effective KF. I'm against the idea and as others have said we'll have to see how he develops.
I see him more midfield.

Go_Dogs
21-08-2014, 07:34 PM
I think he'll be able to play a range of roles, which will often include being a third tall target forward, but mainly as an inside midfielder.

A lot of it will be dependent on how his body develops over the next few years, and how he's able to adjust to those gains and maintain his speed and agility below his knees.

GVGjr
21-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I don’t post a lot to WOOF, but taking on the challenge outlined by the ‘Woof Analysis’ thread, re increasing new threads / posts, I thought I’d raise a question I’ve been turning over in my head.

First up, thank you for the thread and the analysis. It does help the site.

It’s been briefly discussed within the “Marcus Bontempelli” thread.... Could the “Bont” be developed into the Key forward we have been crying out for???

Its well recognised internally and externally that his potential is massive....

He has the key base attributes of a KPF,
• Height - reports have him now at 194 to 195cm, could he realistically get to 196cm or beyond? He is only 18.
• Extensive arm length/reach
• Good spring / leap
• A football brain – he reads the play well
• Already demonstrated the ability to crash packs forward albeit at only 84kg.
• Ability to stay in the contest once the ball hits the ground,
• Knows where the sticks are in congestion (just ask Frawley) has to be GOTY winner
• Raking left foot.
• Endurance

Around the time we drafted him I would have said no way could we seem him as a KPP but some of the contested marks he has held gives me the impression he could very well do that.

My gut feel is that he will be that real versatile player that might be used as a key forward one week and then in the midfield the next.
Few limits.

Questions / thoughts.

How do we ultimately develop him physically, as in how big do we make him: 195cm 103kg key forward or a 195cm 93kg midfielder?
If he continues to grow is he too tall to be a midfielder?
Does he have the initial burst of speed to separate on the lead. Does he have a forwards nous to lead to the ball?
Would he be better suited to CHF or FF?
Does this change our draft strategy? KPD > Rebounding HBF > Outside mid with electrifying pace and skill > KPF?

I don't think we have to do much too him in a physical sense as he appears to have added size throughout a demanding season. I'd prefer to see them keep him on the lean side until we can better determine what positions he is best suited to.

Good problem to have.

comrade
21-08-2014, 07:52 PM
He's not the answer to our KPF needs but I'm happy to see him to play all over the ground and then throw him forward as a bail out option when needed.

westdog54
21-08-2014, 08:14 PM
The sky is the limit with this kid I reckon. To answer your question about where he should play. Put your best players where the ball is. He should play mostly in the midfield and rest forward. Especially while he is still growing. Bont reminds me of James Hird a bit in terms of his versatility. Hird won a Brownlow playing as a midfielder but almost everyone remembers him as a CHF.

I see a future with Macrae and Stringer and Bontempelli and Hunter and Dalhaus and Honeychurch and Hrovat causing mayhem in the opposition coach's box and on the ground switching between attack and midfield.

I suppose thats the beauty part of our recent drafting. Macca will have so many options at his disposal when these guys mature.

F'scary
21-08-2014, 08:18 PM
He could still grow taller - hasn't Macrae gone from 188 to 191cm in less than 2 seasons having been recruited as an 18YO?

He looks like he will bulk up a fair bit too.

He might be more like a Pavlich or even a Nick Rievolt (but not as in a sook) in a couple seasons time.

He appears to have good overhead capacity.

But there is this extra special thing he does with his disposal by hand (I don't think I have seen anything like it since Greg Williams) that tends to be exploited best as an on-baller. Maybe the comparison for likely development direction is: Job Watson.

lemmon
21-08-2014, 08:34 PM
My concern would be whether bulking him up to key position strength and weight would harm his agility and movement in traffic. I like the idea and it has some merit but I think we should let his body evolve naturally and judge where he is best suited once he has finished fully maturing. I think his elite attributes are his work 'in the phonebox', his beautiful long kicking and natural game sense, to me that says outstanding midfielder. It's a nice problem to have either way.

boydogs
21-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Andrejs Everitt has soured our perceptions of a utility, but that's what he is. I like the Hird & Fyfe comparisons, I'll also throw in Hodge, Goddard & Kouta. None were ever their teams go-to forward, but they could still take a mark and kick a goal.