PDA

View Full Version : How do you control your emotions at the footy?

bornadog
21-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Good article here from Peter Gordon:

Gordon's column: Following the arc of angst

August 21, 2014 10:00 AM

As published in the 20 August 2014 edition of the Star Weekly, below is an installment of a regular guest column, this week penned by President Peter Gordon.

In my first stint as president back in the ’90s, my approach to umpires and opposition players during the course of a game was utterly shameful. There was no term of abuse I was not prepared to give voice to, and I never judged a free kick to have been awarded fairly against my team.

After I was relieved of the post in 1997, the following years enabled me to assume a zen-like calm during games. When the board of the Western Bulldogs asked me to take the job on again in late 2012, I secretly thought people would see a calm and composed Peter Gordon – even during the tensest of games. This is an approach you need to adopt when you’re meant to be hosting pollies and sponsors and people who may not take kindly to the unhinged venting of spleen.

Macca has this year introduced a team mantra of “stronger for longer”. Taking his lead, I have introduced my own personal game-day promise of “calmer like an embalmer”. It’s worked tolerably well, with some very clear learnings to be taken out of the 2014 season, including:

1. Any free kick awarded to Nick Riewoldt, no matter how obvious, will elicit dark memories of 2009.

2. Never watch a game in a corporate box with only Simon Garlick for company. Who even thought he was capable of language like that!?

3. Resist the temptation to believe there is a special interpretation given to deliberate out-of-bounds for Western Bulldogs players, COMPARED WITH EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE FRICKIN’ LEAGUE.

4. Sorry about that last line … stronger for longer … calmer like an embalmer.

5. Put Steve Winwood’s Arc Of A Diver album on the Christmas lists for yesterday’s field umpires and a certain Kangaroos forward.

I am a lot calmer these days compared to when I went to the footy in the 1980's, although like Peter (and many of us), I lost it during the 2009 prelim. Firstly with the Diver's free kick and then with the deliberate out of bounce against Aker. I do lose it sometimes and actually feel bad, whereas in the past it was like an outlet and made me feel good.

Maddog37
21-08-2014, 03:09 PM
I get a bit worked up at the footy and find I am getting worse with age. Old and grumpy!!

always right
21-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I regret my behaivour at times and commit to changing my ways. Unfortunately I have white line fever which can be easily set off by incompetent umpires and dickhead supporters (often our own).

Twodogs
21-08-2014, 03:44 PM
I used to be pretty bad but Im much calmer these days.

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 04:29 PM
I've completely lost it twice, once was the diver decable in 09 and the other was when Maxy Rooke flattened Johnno with front on contact in the last quarter of the 08 prelim. Not only did no free kick get awarded but Rooke got up and kicked the goal.

When we get good again I'm sure the rage will start up again!

always right
21-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Interesting that Shane McInerney umpires his 400th game this week yet all he will be remembered for are two of the most appalling decisions every given by an umpire....both in the one match.
1. The Riewoldt dive. I don't care how many warnings Lake was given. The level of contact made simply isn't a free kick.
2. The Shaggy holding the ball decision in the first quarter which gave the Saints their first goal.....the one where Shaggy actually kicked the ball 20 metres.

Really finding it difficult to move on.

bornadog
21-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Interesting that Shane McInerney umpires his 400th game this week yet all he will be remembered for are two of the most appalling decisions every given by an umpire....both in the one match.
1. The Riewoldt dive. I don't care how many warnings Lake was given. The level of contact made simply isn't a free kick.
2. The Shaggy holding the ball decision in the first quarter which gave the Saints their first goal.....the one where Shaggy actually kicked the ball 20 metres.

Really finding it difficult to move on.

Who gave the deliberate out of bounce free, which lead to a kick across the ground, then a kick into the forward line and Reiwoldt kicking the ball off the deck to seal the game?

dadsgirl16
21-08-2014, 05:01 PM
I am pretty calm these days...if those around me are getting feral I put the ear plugs in and listen to the call

different story at home tho...go feral myself!!

always right
Who gave the deliberate out of bounce free, which lead to a kick across the ground, then a kick into the forward line and Reiwoldt kicking the ball off the deck to seal the game?

Not sure.....let's blame him for that one as well.

always right
I am pretty calm these days...if those around me are getting feral I put the ear plugs in and listen to the call

different story at home tho...go feral myself!!

Sorry

The Pie Man
21-08-2014, 05:41 PM

That free lead to Riewoldt taking a pretty decent pack mark 30 out dead in front to take back the lead - bout 10 minutes left for memory. Knew it'd get paid as soon as I saw it rolling out (I'm clearly also still processing that sleepless night.....)

As for how I stay calm? I'm usually ok, though the few times I've gotten pretty angry, the common thread was me having a few drinks onboard....so I've resolved to not drink heavily at games anymore (which used to be a lot of fun on a Saturday afternoon - not so much fun feeling dusty at work on a Monday morning)

Metro train issues at Southern Cross after games also float on by a bit easier when sober

bornadog
21-08-2014, 05:58 PM
That free lead to Riewoldt taking a pretty decent pack mark 30 out dead in front to take back the lead - bout 10 minutes left for memory. Knew it'd get paid as soon as I saw it rolling out (I'm clearly also still processing that sleepless night.....)

As for how I stay calm? I'm usually ok, though the few times I've gotten pretty angry, the common thread was me having a few drinks onboard....so I've resolved to not drink heavily at games anymore (which used to be a lot of fun on a Saturday afternoon - not so much fun feeling dusty at work on a Monday morning)

Metro train issues at Southern Cross after games also float on by a bit easier when sober

Yes you are right, I knew it gave them the lead or something but did change the game.

I get pretty angry at games with the deliberate rule as its not being adjudicated the way it was originally intended.

Remi Moses
21-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Lot calmer these days. More nervous and tense when we're " up and about "
Awfully shocking free kicks get me going ( one against Morris for deliberate early last week)
It's very sanitised a trip to the football now, and sometimes that's good .

Scraggers
21-08-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm fine at the footy ... I suppose I don't get to go all that often and therefore am too excited to lose it.

But at home :eek: I have been banned from watching the footy in front of the kids, cause I scare them when I'm screaming at the box uncontrollably !!!

Eastdog
21-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Usually relatively quiet at the footy and watch the game but certainly yell and get into from time to time.

chef
21-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Apparently I swear a lot according to my wife, but I think thats bullshit.

Hotdog60
21-08-2014, 06:43 PM
I've mellowed with age but when I was at the footy all those years ago the men in white copped most of my abuse. I may have been one of those supporters that people would think, "pull ya head in mate".

Now days I can be very aggressive towards the TV but I calm down very quickly so when I come to woof I'm in some sort of control.:)

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 06:56 PM
I have turn style fever (not white line). Hear the click of the turn style and I become an idiot. I have been banned by my wife from the footy for the last four years. The stress I put on myself will cause me to have a stroke. Will love the dogs til the day I die. Hopefully I will calm down a bit to get to a few games again in the future. :)

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm a shocker, it just doesn't feel like I'm getting my point across unless it's lid and littered with profanity. I am in the Whitten bar most games, generally getting into a verbal stoush with opposition supporters about 5 minutes in. I hate myself afterwards and my girlfriend thinks I'm a raging lunatic, but it just happens!

SonofScray
21-08-2014, 07:31 PM
I don't. Fortunately, the emotions I experience at the footy tend to be with the more euphoric ones or the paralysing depressive types, with little in between. I usually have a good time at the footy, even on a bad day as my mate and I make light of things and deflect our despair towards the enemy. Generally we try to outdo each other with outrageous rule ideas and obnoxious character assassinations.

i.e The Huffy Rule. Every time someone yells "On Ya Bike" when we switch the play, the umpire blows the whistle, a Huffy BMX with a basket gets wheeled out, player puts the ball in the basket, rides up to 100m, gets off the bike, retrieves the ball, umpire blows his whistle and play starts again.

On our darker days, that is the sort of ridiculousness our chats have descended into.

I do punch the railing a lot. I am not proud of my behaviour in 09, but I did kick in every bin on the way out and made a mess of the G in a fit of rage. The anxiety I experienced that night, brief moments of bliss and then the crushing despair when I realised it was going to slip away, there was no way I could have kept things in check.

I don't really do live banter with opposition fans, I hate it. Happy to talk footy and make a joke here and there, but the tit for tat stuff isn't for me. I escalate too quickly. Just flat out ignore it nowadays or when the message isn't clear enough suggest that they would do well to direct it elsewhere (i.e. #$%^ off $%^&) I try to limit my F's and certainly very rarely drop the C bomb.

G-Mo77
21-08-2014, 07:45 PM
I've mellowed heaps. I used to come home and have a frog in my throat. Once we have a bit more success and games have a little more meaning to them that may change. Can't control my venom at the umpires though. If I see Chamberlin run out on the ground I feel like walking out and saving my poor throat from a hard workout.

comrade
21-08-2014, 07:49 PM
I go feral.

I had daddy duties on Sunday so live streamed the game on my iPad. When Petrie dived, I swore and carried on so much it caused my 20 month old to bawl his eyes out for the next 10 minutes.

:D

Bulldog4life
21-08-2014, 08:00 PM
I tend to listen to the radio as I am watching the footy and my wife tells me that my voice is like a fog horn. Of course with ear phones on you have no idea yourself. Over the years I have had many a verbal stoush with opposition supporters as well as some of our own....usually the ones who constantly rubbish our team or certain players. Now I try not get so over emotionally involved....maybe when we start winning again.

Maddog37
21-08-2014, 08:58 PM
At the Richmond game it looked like a cruisey win and I was up and about but keeping to myself. Then they came back and the Tigger fans were getting very vociferous. It reached a crescendo when Revolt kicked them into the lead and I was mortified.

Luckily we snatched the win and I found myself jumping up and down and yelling at every Richmond fan in the vicinity to stick it up their arse(pardon my French). They thought they had us and it was such a sweet moment but when I calmed down I looked around to see my wife and kids staring ashamedly at me. To top it off we were sitting in the Bulldog corporate area on level two and Simon Garlick was giving me a very serious look but slyly smiled and nodded at me in tacit approval. Really enjoyed that win.

The bulldog tragician
21-08-2014, 09:03 PM
I don't yell.

But I have cried. Yep, 97 and 09.

Strangely, when we were a really good side, I was much more tense. It's actually easier to be calm when you have lowered expectations and less is at stake.

I'm still convinced I will not actually survive that long awaited grand final. I feel physically sick in close games. Imagine being involved in a nail biter like some of the recent GFs..

boydogs
21-08-2014, 09:14 PM
I can get excited but don't get angry, I go quiet with worry and sadness when things aren't going well. Except at the umpires :D

josie
21-08-2014, 09:27 PM
I've had to learn to lower my dB. Hubby was going deaf. If watching channel 7 for interstate games I yell loudly and scare the poor cat as well as punch a cushion or two.

At games:
(1) I yell at the umpires and tell them they need new specs (from opsm of course). Really hate Razor Ray - I'm sure he hates the Dogs. I tend not to yell at opposition players.
(2) When one of our players does something silly I look the heavens and have a little whinge with a few expletives thrown in for good measure.
(3) I have only said something nasty to a handful of opposition supporters over the last 15 or so years and only at the end of a match when they've been totally obnoxious. I make a point of not swearing, rather I highlight their low intellect and sportsmanship e.g. "You have the intelligence and empathy of a pea" or "I think your fellow supporters would be embarrassed by your appalling lack of sportsmanship."

always right
21-08-2014, 09:32 PM
I don't yell.

Strangely, when we were a really good side, I was much more tense. It's actually easier to be calm when you have lowered expectations and less is at stake.

I'm still convinced I will not actually survive that long awaited grand final. I feel physically sick in close games. Imagine being involved in a nail biter like some of the recent GFs..
I often imagine us being in front by a few points with minutes to go in the grand final. I feel stressed just thinking about it.

josie
21-08-2014, 09:36 PM
I don't yell.

I reckon you'll make it. Hang in there and think positive, there's always tomorrow !! In fact that's the definition of a Dogs Supporter isn't it?

When we do make it to the Granny I may not be able to watch it myself from sheer anxiety.

P.S. I like your posts here on WOOF and also recall reading another longer article on another site about being a Dogs Supporter:- very thoughtfully and also wistfully you capture what it's like to love the Dogs. Your writing reminds me of the best Michael Leunig cartoons and I've noticed you use one of his cartoons in your avatar. I really liked his sister Mary's cartoons too - albeit they were a bit bleak, I think we've got a book of her cartoons somewhere from many years ago and we have a few of Michael's for sure.

Go_Dogs
21-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Usually relatively quiet at the footy and watch the game but certainly yell and get into from time to time.

I'm a bit the same, generally fairly reserved....but does depend a bit on who I am there with and how many stinking decisions go against us.

The bulldog tragician
22-08-2014, 12:32 AM
I reckon you'll make it. Hang in there and think positive, there's always tomorrow !! In fact that's the definition of a Dogs Supporter isn't it?

When we do make it to the Granny I may not be able to watch it myself from sheer anxiety.

P.S. I like your posts here on WOOF and also recall reading another longer article on another site about being a Dogs Supporter:- very thoughtfully and also wistfully you capture what it's like to love the Dogs. Your writing reminds me of the best Michael Leunig cartoons and I've noticed you use one of his cartoons in your avatar. I really liked his sister Mary's cartoons too - albeit they were a bit bleak, I think we've got a book of her cartoons somewhere from many years ago and we have a few of Michael's for sure.

I think Leunig captures perfectly the poignancy of being a Dogs fan, and thanks for the lovely comments about my writing Josie.

KT31
22-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Apparently I swear a lot according to my wife, but I think thats bullshit.

Made me laugh, Champagne.:)

Greystache
22-08-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm not overly emotional, but I suppose everyone has their moments. One things that does give me the shits is crowd commentators who don't have any idea what's going on. Continually yelling kick it long, followed up by a detailed description of why if the players just kicked the ball long they'd win every match.

My group of friends also drink a beer every time Will Minson takes a mark, so yes, we drive home every week :D

always right
22-08-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm not overly emotional, but I suppose everyone has their moments. One things that does give me the shits is crowd commentators who don't have any idea what's going on. Continually yelling kick it long, followed up by a detailed description of why if the players just kicked the ball long they'd win every match.
My group of friends also drink a beer every time Will Minson takes a mark, so yes, we drive home every week :D

They're the same peole who get all agitated when we kick the ball across the ground when there is nothing up ahead.

The Pie Man
22-08-2014, 11:24 AM
They're the same peole who get all agitated when we kick the ball across the ground when there is nothing up ahead.

Or when we kick it long and turn it over they scream 'why didn't they look?'*

(*Love my old man, but that's him watching games on tv these days)

I've shifted my verbal anger focus to TV commentary this year

1eyedog
22-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I take my 6 year old son.

always right
22-08-2014, 12:22 PM
I take my 6 year old son.

Is that the kid with the potty mouth?

1eyedog
22-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Ha ha no he'd be aghast if I raised my voice. If I say 'Go Bonts' even half loud he'll say "What? What happened?"

He's more about playing it cool than having to worry about his 42 year old Dad carrying on like an 18 year old.

bornadog
22-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Ha ha no he'd be aghast if I raised my voice. If I say 'Go Bonts' even half loud he'll say "What? What happened?"

My mate took his 5 year old to the North game, and I promised myself I would be in control, but when the umps paid a free for Deliberate OFB, I yelled BS. Poor kid just looked at me and I quickly apologised.

always right
22-08-2014, 02:46 PM
My father is still having counselling after my 10 year old son (at the time) dropped the F Bomb to the Adelaide supporters after Adelaide kicked their tenth goal in the 1998 prelim.

1eyedog
22-08-2014, 04:09 PM
My father is still having counselling after my 10 year old son (at the time) dropped the F Bomb to the Adelaide supporters after Adelaide kicked their tenth goal in the 1998 prelim.

Gold. I hope my son ends up coming good.

giaco
22-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Taking the kids now has forced me to calm down a bit, just have to watch the language.

I look back on my 20s and don't know how I never got in a fight, I was insane, used to take on any opposition supporters who said anything about our players. I think they just thought I was too crazy to have a go at.

always right
22-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Taking the kids now has forced me to calm down a bit, just have to watch the language.

I look back on my 20s and don't know how I never got in a fight, I was insane, used to take on any opposition supporters who said anything about our players. I think they just thought I was too crazy to have a go at.
I used to stand on the outer wing amongst opposition supporters and I wasn't quiet. Shuddering at the thought now.

Happy Days
22-08-2014, 10:24 PM
I push the boundaries to the absolute limit, which coincidentally is the word "prick".

ratsmac
23-08-2014, 02:32 AM
I pretty calm at the footy so long as Boyd doesn't kick the ball :D jokes!

I hate stupid opposition supporters (Melbourne are the worst) who have no clue of how hard our game actually is to play and complain the whole time that they are getting ripped off by the umpires. I don't fight with them but I shout comments that I know are getting up their goat.

I have been known to lose it at the umps from time to time too. I lost it on the weekend when Petrie got shot (he must have because he dropped like he did) but not so much at Petrie but at the moron umpire who paid it a free kick. You get a few stares when you lose your shit in the medallion club too.

Doc26
23-08-2014, 03:53 PM
I've found having a small pocket radio at the ready, programmed into ABC Classic FM, a calming influence for when the tide turns against us and emotions start spiralling as noise from the nuff nuffs seems to get louder and more aggravating.

Unfortunately the tactic failed last week as my father and I both lost it to a belligerent North supporter sitting directly behind us who was slagging off at our players, and who then decided to turn to history and slander Libba Snr. This is my breaking point.

The amount of times over the years that I've been compelled to launch into a passionate defense of Tony. I've given up friendships over it.

Scorlibo
23-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Good thread! What really ruffles my feathers, rightly or wrongly, is when the crowd scream for a free kick that's clearly not there. It will often happen several times in a row because they egg each other on. I don't care what the umpires say about not being influenced by the crowd, they are. At least one decision per game is a pure submission to crowd noise, and at that moment I lose it a little bit!

bornadog
23-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately the tactic failed last week as my father and I both lost it to a belligerent North supporter sitting directly behind us who was slagging off at our players, and who then decided to turn to history and slander Libba Snr. This is my breaking point.

I can't stand supporters slagging off our players, especially our own supporters.

The Underdog
23-08-2014, 11:50 PM
I can't stand supporters slagging off our players, especially our own supporters.

Yeah, me too. I stopped doing it once Sam Power left.

I'm a fair bit calmer these days. If I take my kids I don't get to concentrate hard enough to get invested. Occasionally I get a bit feisty and just take the piss out of the game in general. I had a ball at the Dees game at the G earlier this year doing that. I also look around at some of the people carrying on around me and that helps keep me level.

GVGjr
23-08-2014, 11:59 PM
I'm pretty quiet at the footy. Listen to the radio and try and block out the idiots.

LostDoggy
24-08-2014, 01:47 AM
On the topic of blocking out the idiots, when I'm at the footy I am completely entrenched in the match, whether its checking out matchups, looking downfield to see how players are positioned for the next possession or riding every handball and kick as thry happen.

Quite often whoever I'm at the footy with will say to me after the game, geez that bloke behind us was annoying all game.. and I wouldn't have even noticed him.

Twodogs
24-08-2014, 05:09 AM
On the topic of blocking out the idiots, when I'm at the footy I am completely entrenched in the match, whether its checking out matchups, looking downfield to see how players are positioned for the next possession or riding every handball and kick as thry happen.

Quite often whoever I'm at the footy with will say to me after the game, geez that bloke behind us was annoying all game.. and I wouldn't have even noticed him.

Yep, Im the same for the same reasons. Too much to get lost up in when watching a game to pay attention to external influences. Even the people I'm with will have to yell at me a few times or hit me to get my attention.

bornadog
24-08-2014, 01:12 PM

I am a bit like that except when I start hearing an opposition supporter, repeat things that I have said just to stir me up. eg, At the Essendon game earlier this year, I yelled out something like Ball.... no free.. then said Stupid umpire. The next time one of our guys got held with the ball, the guy says Stupid Umpire. He was stirring me up for most of the match. When this happened I really gave it to him in front of his family.

This of course is rare as I mostly ignore idiots.

Murphy'sLore
24-08-2014, 03:58 PM
My husband gets quite vocal, he actually lost his voice last week. It's a bit of white line fever, I think, I just worry that some dickhead is going to take him too seriously one day and he'll get into trouble.

I tend to get quiet when things aren't going well, bottle it up inside. I have to remind myself that it's our job to be as vocal as possible and do our bit to help the players along (and push the umps in the right direction if necessary :) )

dadsgirl16
25-08-2014, 12:00 PM
The ear plugs were certainly in yesterday!! Cannot believe the things being said about our players by OUR (so called) supporters.

I get as frustrated as the next person with the skill errors but to continually yell MORONS!! even at the young ones is...moronic!

bornadog
25-08-2014, 12:21 PM
The ear plugs were certainly in yesterday!! Cannot believe the things being said about our players by OUR (so called) supporters.

I get as frustrated as the next person with the skill errors but to continually yell MORONS!! even at the young ones is...moronic!

I was at the VFL yesterday for two and a half quarters before heading to Eithad and couldn't believe the comments directed at Minson, from both supporters. I wasn't in the mood to retaliate, but just can't believe the idiots out there.

KT31
31-08-2014, 11:08 AM
My husband gets quite vocal, he actually lost his voice last week. It's a bit of white line fever, I think, I just worry that some dickhead is going to take him too seriously one day and he'll get into trouble.

I tend to get quiet when things aren't going well, bottle it up inside. I have to remind myself that it's our job to be as vocal as possible and do our bit to help the players along (and push the umps in the right direction if necessary :) )

I like to call it Turnstile fever, just like a sports man entering an arena, many a meek mild person has entered a ground through the turnstile and it has had a Jeckle and Hyde effect on them.
Although not meek or mild I must admit to suffering a small infliction of it myself.

Eastdog
12-08-2018, 11:08 PM
I certainly got excited and into it today. I say quite a bit during the games stuff like Cmon Dogs and call player names to move the ball forward etc so not that quiet :) I get up out of my seat from time to time to celebrate those important goals in the context of the game.

EasternWest
12-08-2018, 11:16 PM
I certainly got excited and into it today. I say quite a bit during the games stuff like Cmon Dogs and call player names to move the ball forward etc so not that quiet :) I get up out of my seat from time to time to celebrate those important goals in the context of the game.

I love how much you love the footy, Easty.

Eastdog
12-08-2018, 11:21 PM
I love how much you love the footy, Easty.

Yep love AFL footy, enjoy the soccer (EPL) and cricket in the summer as well.

AshMac
13-08-2018, 09:14 AM
I love getting it all out at the footy. As long as you don’t swear and aren’t offensive then go nuts - it’s a healthy release.