PDA

View Full Version : Individual Honours - 2014

bornadog
22-08-2014, 02:19 PM
2014 Charlie Sutton Medal will be held on September 3 - more detail h (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/club/events/charles-sutton-medal)ere.

This got me thinking, who has been consistent enough to take it out this year? The last five medals have been taken out by Griffen and Boyd, but they have not been consistent enough this year to take it out again.

So, who will take out the medal this year? Has Libba been consistent enough? How about Picken, he has been very good this year? Macrae has been an accumulator of the ball but is that enough to take votes. Dahl and Murphy have also been very good this year as has Higgins. I would love to see Murphy win.

I think its going to be a very close call and with two rounds to go may well determine the eventual winner.

1eyedog
22-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Yes it's a bit up in the air this year and perhaps a first time recipient will get the nod. Picken, Macrae and Murph have been good this year. What about Wood as a smoky? Does he get enough of it?

bornadog
22-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Yes it's a bit up in the air this year and perhaps a first time recipient will get the nod. Picken, Macrae and Murph have been good this year. What about Wood as a smoky? Does he get enough of it?

Wood has also had a good year, but as you say, has he had it enough.

dadsgirl16
22-08-2014, 02:47 PM
I would love Bob to win but that's probably just me being sentimental..if not one of the young ones would be good

always right
22-08-2014, 02:47 PM
I reckon it's a close call between Libba, Macrae, Picken and Murphy. My tip....Libba. My hope....Murph.

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Would be interesting to see the leaderboard for the Marmo. Have the Marmo votes been fairly close to the mark previous years in terms of best and fairest voting?

bornadog
22-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Would be interesting to see the leaderboard for the Marmo. Have the Marmo votes been fairly close to the mark previous years in terms of best and fairest voting?

Hasn't been updated for most of the season. I guess people are busy.

The bulldog tragician
22-08-2014, 07:24 PM
I think Murph has had a very consistent year. Am I right that he has never won it?

Earlier in the year I would have said Libber and Macrae would fight it out but their form lines have each tailed off. It makes you think it's been a funny old year with no one being a standout.

boydogs
22-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Libba's done enough I think. Could be the first of many wins

LostDoggy
23-08-2014, 12:41 AM
I would love to see either Picken or Murphy win it. Both are such great representations of our club and quality people too.
I don't think Wood has played quite enough games to accumulate the votes but he definitly deserves most improved.

craigsahibee
23-08-2014, 01:17 AM
Club B & F's are not all about possessions. Role players generally poll well in awards voted on by the Match Commitee. For this reason I expect both Pickens and Wood to poll well. For sheer consistency, I think Murph will win.

lemmon
23-08-2014, 02:40 AM
Libba for me, the start of what may very well be the start of a Scott West-esque monopoly

azabob
23-08-2014, 03:09 PM

I think he might have a missed a few too many games with being dropped and injury.

Scorlibo
23-08-2014, 04:13 PM
I think Libba is the clear favourite to take it out. He hasn't been any better than last year when he came second, but he hasn't been any worse either, and Griff has been hampered.

I'll echo the thoughts of others in saying it would be fabulous to see Murph pick up a best and fairest. If I had to pick an order, I'd go:

1 - Libba
2 - Macrae
3 - Murph
4 - Dahlhaus
5 - Picken

bornadog
23-08-2014, 07:11 PM
I think Libba is the clear favourite to take it out. He hasn't been any better than last year when he came second, but he hasn't been any worse either, and Griff has been hampered.

I'll echo the thoughts of others in saying it would be fabulous to see Murph pick up a best and fairest. If I had to pick an order, I'd go:

1 - Libba
2 - Macrae
3 - Murph
4 - Dahlhaus
5 - Picken

I think your order looks about right, but yeah, I would love it if Murph won.

GVGjr
23-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Libba's done enough I think. Could be the first of many wins

I agree, he would be the one to beat. Griffen was very slow out of the blocks due to his injuries.

Doc26
02-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Bumping this thread given that tomorrow night is the running of our Best and Fairest.
Who will take out our very own Charlie and are there any other woofers attending the night ?

Murph will be the sentimental favourite and must be in contention but will Libba pick up his first ?

Bulldog Joe
02-09-2014, 10:24 PM
I won't be there, but I would expect Macrae to be right in it.

Libba would be my outright pick.

LostDoggy
03-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Had a conference planned in Sydney so am going to miss the Charlie tonight. Will be interesting to hear Macca's speech, he roped me in With His 14 more hurdles to go spiel. But after such a disappointing year, I wonder which way he'll play it.

bornadog
03-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Libba wins Charlie, second MaCrae and third Griffen.

Libba also won a host of other medals.

bornadog
03-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Final Leaderboard:
1. Tom Liberatore 235
2. Jackson Macrae 168
3. Ryan Griffen154
4. Luke Dahlhaus138
5. Robert Murphy133

comrade
04-09-2014, 12:06 AM
I'll enjoy watching this year's winner and runner up for the next 10+ years. Good to see our young guns taking over.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Libba, good for you. Proud family trophy room even more so now.

bornadog
04-09-2014, 12:07 AM
great effort from Macrae as well

lemmon
04-09-2014, 12:11 AM
great effort from Macrae as well
And Dahl, a top four finish in his first year as a midfielder.

lemmon
04-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Very interesting that Easton Wood finished equal 19th...on par for votes with Jones. Big surprise

LostDoggy
04-09-2014, 12:18 AM
Great effort by Tom to get four honours, is that a record for most awards won in the one year?

Flamethrower
04-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Big day for Marcus Bontempelli.

2nd in the Rising Star.
10th in VFL team's B&F.
12th in AFL team's B&F.

Doc26
04-09-2014, 01:26 AM
Congratulations to Brett Goodes on winning Footscray's 2014 Best and Fairest. It may interest some that Talia did not finish in the top 10 vote getters.

Remi Moses
04-09-2014, 03:16 AM
Terrific from both Tom and Jack .
Great going forward as well. Reckon Wood's very unlucky, and would have had him in the top 10.

chef
04-09-2014, 06:39 AM
Congrats Tom, first of many.

azabob
04-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Very interesting that Easton Wood finished equal 19th...on par for votes with Jones. Big surprise

Minson and Higgins 16th and 17th

Go_Dogs
04-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Well done to all the winners, and place getters.

Re Wood, Minson and Higgins - I guess it just goes to show how little we understand about the roles players are being asked to play. I think most here had Wood down as having a good year.

Anyone able to post a complete set of results?

bornadog
04-09-2014, 09:39 AM

Re Wood, Minson and Higgins - I guess it just goes to show how little we understand about the roles players are being asked to play. I think most here had Wood down as having a good year.

2014 Charles Sutton Medal Tally

1. Tom Liberatore

2. Jack Macrae

3. Ryan Griffen

4. Luke Dahlhaus

5. Robert Murphy

6. Dale Morris

7. Matthew Boyd

8. Stewart Crameri

9. Liam Picken

10. Mitch Wallis

John Van Groningen Team First Award - Tom Liberatore
Scott West Most Courageous Award - Tom Liberatore
John Schultz Community Award - Will Minson
Chris Grant Best First Year Player - Marcus Bontempelli
Tony Liberatore Most Improved Player - Jack Macrae
Brad Johnson Best Team Player - Tom Liberatore
VFL Best and Fairest - Brett Goodes
VFL Coaches Award - Mitch Jensen

bornadog
04-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Good to see Mitch Jensen get an award.

Scorlibo
04-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Mitch Wallis a top ten finish with only 13 games played - impressive.

Congratulations Libba, well deserved.

KT31
04-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Well done to young Tom and the other award winners.
Well deserved and a great
The votes are indicative off one of the not many positive's I got out of this season, the encouraging signs shown of our younger players standing up a majority of times when needed to.

Webby
04-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Mitch Wallis a top ten finish with only 13 games played - impressive.

Congratulations Libba, well deserved.

Just picked up on that, myself. Shows that he's highly rated internally. Must be staying to script in his sacrificial team roles. Good sign that he's a quality footballer. He's not often in the conversation, but I think we can rest assured he'll be a good, good player for WBFC. Strikes me as a kid who really wants it.

LostDoggy
04-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Hard to believe that Wood was so far down given the great year he had and the fact that the coach sang his praises for playing on bigger opponents and getting the job done

lemmon
04-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Anyone make it to the night and have a report they wouldn't mind sharing?

Greystache
04-09-2014, 02:35 PM

All 3 of them played reserves at some stage, so I guess it's not surprising. I do wonder what specific parts of Wood's game they were so unhappy with. He got beaten one out quite a bit, so that's a pretty big cross against his name, then again so did nearly all our defenders.

Minson and Higgins were just pretty poor most of the season.

always right
04-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Staggered at Wood's poor polling in the B&F. I really enjoyed watching him this year.

Makes me wonder if the fact he is yet to re-sign is due to the fact the coaches don't rate him.

whythelongface
04-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Staggered at Wood's poor polling in the B&F. I really enjoyed watching him this year.

Makes me wonder if the fact he is yet to re-sign is due to the fact the coaches don't rate him.

Who says the coaches don't rate him? Is this fact? Didn't he play every game bar the 1 when he was dropped to VFL and the last game due to injury. Surely you can't judge the fact that he didn't rate highly in the B&F as a basis to suggest that the coaches don't rate him.

bornadog
04-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Congratulations also to Brett Goodes for the VFL b& f

The Pie Man
04-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Well done to Libba, fantastic season deservedly recognised - and still so young.

What I want to jump around about is Macrae - 2nd in a B&F in his second year? Just outstanding!! Ludicrous how good he already is.

westdog54
04-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Well done to Libba, fantastic season deservedly recognised - and still so young.

What I want to jump around about is Macrae - 2nd in a B&F in his second year? Just outstanding!! Ludicrous how good he already is.

Scary isn't it?

Is there a Round-by Round breakdown available? Would love to see his votes before and after the Geelong game.

azabob
04-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Scary isn't it?

Is there a Round-by Round breakdown available? Would love to see his votes before and after the Geelong game.

They tweeted votes at certain stages, not sure if there round by round though.

azabob
04-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Does anyone know our criteria for giving votes? I mean does every player get a rating or?

Happy Days
04-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Special mention to the boys who probably backed up after the Brownlow/Mad Monday.

The bulldog tragician
04-09-2014, 09:59 PM

Totally agree. Most of us felt Macrae noticeably tired in his last few weeks. Imagine when he fully grows into his frame.

I felt flat at the end of Sunday but the thought of a BONTI, Macrae, Hrovat, Libber midfield is something to really savour.

westdog54
05-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Totally agree. Most of us felt Macrae noticeably tired in his last few weeks. Imagine when he fully grows into his frame.

I felt flat at the end of Sunday but the thought of a BONTI, Macrae, Hrovat, Libber midfield is something to really savour.

With Smith, Wallis and Stringer as wrecking balls to clear a path for them.

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 01:25 AM
Seeing the Saints top 5 in their best and fairest compared to us at least makes me feel a little better.

Riewoldt
Hayes
Dempster
Montagna
Delaney

Atleast our young blokes have stepped up to take us forward.

Mofra
06-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Seeing the Saints top 5 in their best and fairest compared to us at least makes me feel a little better.

Riewoldt
Hayes
Dempster
Montagna
Delaney

Atleast our young blokes have stepped up to take us forward.
Was about to post something similar - also note that Gwilt rounded out the top ten. We are so far ahead of them it isn't funny.

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 03:03 PM
And a good effort by crossy as well - came 5th in the dees BnF. And missed a bunch of games with a broken leg.

On a points per game basis, he would've finished second, and only just behind Jones. Won the Junior McDonald trophy for best team man too. Well done DC.

probably not a glowing indictment of the dees list though:)

The bulldog tragician
06-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Cross also won best team man. :)

Mantis
06-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Was about to post something similar - also note that Gwilt rounded out the top ten. We are so far ahead of them it isn't funny.

But is that something to really get excited about?

The 13 teams who finished above us this year are the ones I'm more concerned about.. About perhaps GWS too.