PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Clark - would you do it?

The Doctor
22-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Mitch Clark may be available as a delisted free agent.

Rumour has it he is back in training and hoping for a fresh start. What's your verdict, Should we have a crack?

bornadog
22-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Why not if he is mentally up to it.

SlimPickens
22-08-2014, 11:52 PM
26 y.o. His best is very good. I thinks it's worth the enquiry.

BulldogBelle
23-08-2014, 12:54 AM
Huge yes.

jeemak
23-08-2014, 01:10 AM
From what I can gather he was in a pretty bad way, enough for him to walk away from an AFL club and a very lucrative deal while going to the press to help the public understand his plight.

With that in mind, I think it would be too soon for him to come back unless he had a lot of support around him and I don't think he'll get that with us, or just about any other club.

All things being equal he is a good player and would be great for any club (maybe apart from Sydney) to attain.

ratsmac
23-08-2014, 01:52 AM
Football ability hell yes, however with his mental state sadly it's a no way. I have someone close to me battling depression and it's not something that goes away easily. I feel sorry for the man but it's a no from me.

lemmon
23-08-2014, 02:37 AM
I think the Dees deserve first crack and I can't imagine any club would stand in the way of them picking him up, but if he decided a fresh club would be the best thing for him I would throw the house and farm. Exactly the type of player we need and was just about to explode when he pulled out. Still think he has the potential to be a very good footballer.

jeemak
23-08-2014, 04:43 AM
He's from WA. I couldn't see him doing anything in Victoria in light of the Melbourne issue, plus WA is likely to be the state where he gets more support.

Raw Toast
23-08-2014, 06:30 AM
Yes, but not if we had to pay a heap to get him - as some others have noted, he's the kind of player we need, big strong and athletic but it's his injury history that worries me the most (as well as his price).

In terms of club cultures, I think we'd be a much better fit than a bigger club where the weight of expectations will be greater, plus Perth remains a fishbowl so not sure Freo or WC would help him that much...

ledge
23-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Didn't he want to go home originally, then went to Melbourne?
A lot of theory's could be put forward, he went from one basket case to another.
AFL football is very demanding, I have no Idea on the exact reasons he stopped playing.
Maybe it was a family issue, does anyone know the exact problem?
Depending on what it was he might be ok now.. Slater managed to work through it, so many have depression but hide it.
Would definitely need a good mental strength test I would imagine.

Hotdog60
23-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Although I think he would be a good pick up, I think he may well be on a high at the moment but depression can be a slippery slope that it may not take much to start sliding back down.
If he made the effort to get back in shape it would only take a reasonable longish injury to maybe send him backwards. If he want's to play footy maybe the WAFL might be more of a go.
Take a year to get back into the game and then try the draft if he is still up for it.

azabob
23-08-2014, 11:02 AM
I am not so sure I'd look at him.

He has all the talent in the world but he is also very injury prone, from memory the foot in particular was giving him a lot of grief.

With him also being out of the game for an extended period of time, is he likely to get more injuries due to the physical nature and demands of AFL?

Regardless how he exited the game, I don't think he should just waltz back in and cherry pick which club he goes to.

That just does not sit right with me.

Melbourne invested a lot of time and money as well as high draft picks to get him to the club.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Football ability hell yes, however with his mental state sadly it's a no way. I have someone close to me battling depression and it's not something that goes away easily. I feel sorry for the man but it's a no from me.

Maybe a double dose of Effexor will give him the serotonin to ply his trade. I would definitely go hard for him if he puts himself on the market. He seemed to have all the bustle, skill and marking ability of BBBBH.

wimberga
23-08-2014, 11:56 AM
I'm in the camp of at least investigating it further. He is the type of player we need and if we think we can provide an environment for him to thrive, and he does also, then it simply comes down to cost.

Mofra
23-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Absolutely yes.
There are likely to be a number of players battling depression at every club at any one time, something which can be managed. Scott West did is successfully for his entire career.
He is exactly the player we need - my only concern is injuries. He's had one full season of AFL football in his career.

LongWait
23-08-2014, 01:05 PM
We'd have to check him out, surely. If Mitch is over his foot problems he would be a huge upgrade up forward over anyone we have now. Clark is All Australian quality at his best.

boydogs
23-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Maybe it was a family issue, does anyone know the exact problem?

Weight of expectation with the big money deal and trade from Brisbane, then feelings of guilt when getting injured repeatedly and not building form & fitness to contribute like he wanted to.

If he's feeling better I would be very interested.

Topdog
23-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Mitch Clark may be available as a delisted free agent.

Rumour has it he is back in training and hoping for a fresh start. What's your verdict, Should we have a crack?

Where did you hear this? His only public interview was about 2 months ago and footy seemed a very long way from his mind.

I think he should stay away.

EasternWest
23-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Why not if he is mentally up to it.

Yep totally agree.

What I liked most about him at Melbourne was that he played like he was completely committed to the cause. No high paid primadonna antics.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Sometimes a fresh start is what we all need. Mitch seemed from some reporting to be struggling with expectation and the pressure of money and media. If he has reconciled those matters, or just needed a circuit breaker, then there's no real concern for mine. Nathan Thompson was is a similar position and was very good at his second AFL club. If he's fit, he's easily, easily, easily best 22 in our team and with our kids taking the media, if the reporting is right, we might just be a good fit. He'd be a great ambassador for our men's health program too.

The Underdog
23-08-2014, 11:39 PM
If he feels ready to come back to elite level football then I would for sure, although his inability to stay on the park in recent years is an issue. I'd love him in our forward line as a point of difference though.
If he did come back I'd expect him to go back to the Dees or home to WA.

craigsahibee
24-08-2014, 12:52 AM
No way. Too fragile in mind and body. Not worth the risk.

Remi Moses
24-08-2014, 12:54 AM
Not for me either

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Nope from me too.

His body has failed him for a few years now, and they've been serious injuries.

If he was to return, from a mental aspect, I can only see it working in Perth.

Greystache
24-08-2014, 02:18 AM
No way. Too fragile in mind and body. Not worth the risk.

Agree. I could see us wasting time and resources for no return. No thanks.

LostDoggy
24-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Go home factor, constant foot injuries, head injuries, mental issues.

No.

Sedat
25-08-2014, 11:34 AM
We'd have to check him out, surely. If Mitch is over his foot problems he would be a huge upgrade up forward over anyone we have now. Clark is All Australian quality at his best.
Yep, would do it in a heartbeat if his foot problems are 100% rectified and he is managing his depression well. it would also be some sort of poetic justice to nab a player of Clark's ability from Melbourne for no compensation back to Melbourne.

1eyedog
25-08-2014, 12:04 PM
I still think we need to focus on a GWS tall around the 20 year old mark (Jaksch / would love McCarthy) rather than an injury prone 26 year old suffering from a mental illness. I would think Clark is very interested in the 900k that was splashed around re. Patton but that money would be better spent luring a good young player from one of the franchises and developing one of Talia / Roberts down back.

Clark will be 27 in two months and our window won't be open until 2017 making him 29-30 which will see him declining when our window opens. No from me.

Sedat
25-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Clark will be 27 in two months and our window won't be open until 2017 making him 29-30 which will see him declining when our window opens. No from me.
His odometer doesn't have many kms on the clock so his age is not a concern for me at all. Assuming his foot injury is 100% healed and he is in a good space mentally to cope with the rigours of AFL, I can see him having an Alastair Lynch type career well into his 30's. One thing not in dispute is that he is very talented - I like talented players who have proven themselves at the caper.

1eyedog
25-08-2014, 01:00 PM
I like talented players who have proven themselves at the caper.

Me too - when they can get on the park. He's been injury-riddled since his first year in 2006(?) including osteitis pubis followed up by a number of bad quad injuries, shoulders and more recently feet. The problem is all his injuries have been fairly long-term so when he goes down he goes down big time. He is a very good player and what we need yes but he will want top coin and is too high risk given his spate of injuries. Under 100 games in 9 years says it all to me. He's a Tom Williams with talent.

bornadog
08-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Well he says he is over his mental issues - Lets get him checked physically and make an offer.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Well he says he is over his mental issues - Lets get him checked physically and make an offer.

Yep. 100%

lemmon
08-09-2014, 06:38 PM

If it's a trade as being touted what would you be comfortable giving up? I wouldn't be happy with anything over a third round pick to be perfectly honest, we have no idea whether he'll get into a footy club environment again and find he's unable to cope again.

MrMahatma
08-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Worth going for, definitely.

Webby
08-09-2014, 06:45 PM
There is no point. The Aints have PS Draft pick 1 and he's theirs...... and they're welcome to him, to be perfectly honest. All the best to him, but this has typical Sht Kilda debacle written all over it....

We're best left out of it. I hope we tend more towards blue chip than speccies like this one.

Remi Moses
08-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Rumour is that Stkilda are into him .
Injuries and Mental health issues aside( their big issues)
He'd be great for us

bulldogtragic
08-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Rumour is that Stkilda are into him .
Injuries and Mental health issues aside( their big issues)
He'd be great for us

Yep, that would be two years in a row, trading for a player who would immediately be our best forward. The flow on effect for Crameri and others would be massive, it's not just him directly. He can play amazing footy, if his head and feet are fit, i'd love to see us trade two years in a row for a player that would be our best forward.

F'scary
08-09-2014, 08:17 PM
One word: He is quite obviously not up to the rigors of AFL and we would be foolish to acquire him.

If we recruit him, it will quickly turn into another entry in Talls of Shame thread.

LostDoggy
08-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Via a Melbourne associate of mine, apparently from the Demon fan forum also:

As many of you know, I have excellent contacts in the MFC at administration and board level. Over recent years despite the roll over of staff I have been able to maintain these contacts and often share some of what I am hearing with my fellow heavy hearted Dees members via this forum. After the weekends revelations I did not want to make comment on the MC situation until I had made the contact with my sources. This what I have been told.

The decision to retire from AFL was always with MC health in mind. In reality it was always a break that may have become permanent rather than a retirement. MC always (even at the time of retirement) maintained ambitions to play again, play for the MFC and repay the MFC and its faithful for its investment and support. The decision to retire was ONLY to give MC the best chance of recovery by taking all pressure off him. The full process of playing in 2015 were set out in the retirement discussions. MC only ever expressed complete desire and loyalty to the MFC. As such MFC continued to support MC in the ABSOUTE belief that if fit he would play for MFC. Essentially the ball was left with MC. MC has been in regular contact with fitness staff and coaches and on a MFC derived fitness plan.
MCs return to physical and mental health has been fantastic. So much so that up until about 2 weeks ago, the MFC were extremely confident he would be recontracted to play for the MFC in 2015. In fact the confidence I was hearing from within the club was much greater than what I expressed on Demonland. MFC were 100% certain that if MC did play it would be only in red & blue and it seemed the only question would be whether to rookie him or place him on the senior list.
Approx. two weeks ago MC manager was contacted as to whether MC would attend the Best & Fairest and also to initiate contract discussions. Misson had been training with MC that day and had been excited by MC developing fitness. Contact between the club, MC, and his manager has been ongoing and until this point there had been no hint of dissatisfaction or expressed desire to play for anyone else. It was at this time that MC manager let the MFC know that MC did not wish to play for MFC next year and wanted to play for another Melbourne club.
The club was completely blindsided. Roos had steam coming out of his ears. I have been told by one of my sources that Roos almost blew a blood vessel.

I think its fair to say, that Roos dig in his best fairest speech was directed squarely at MC.

azabob
08-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Interesting MRM.

I said on this thread and another his actions do not sit right with me.

His values are all $crewed up and he has no concept of team.

Stay away are my thoughts.

Mofra
08-09-2014, 09:15 PM
I would have said "yes in a heartbeat" but for one thing... he can't get through a full season.

Forget his mental issues (they can be managed), the bargain he would represent and the fact we'd finally have some structure - he is more fragile than Shaun Higgins.

Webby
08-09-2014, 09:17 PM
^^^^^^

So, with the above in mind, would you bloody well want the bloke??

No way..

There's oh one club for him.... actually, two.. And they both have red and black in their colours, and rumour has it, they're the two front runners..

They're welcome to him. We should shop more upmarket..!

soupman
08-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Not sure the bloke that left Brisbane to go home to WA, only to take the cash at Melbourne, and then leave them to deal with depression with their full support and extensive cooperation, only to screw them over the first chance he gets fits the criteria for "good character" that we are after.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Not sure the bloke that left Brisbane to go home to WA, only to take the cash at Melbourne, and then leave them to deal with depression with their full support and extensive cooperation, only to screw them over the first chance he gets fits the criteria for "good character" that we are after.

Seems a tad harsh and simplistic. Yes he quit Brisbane for cash. He didn't factor in to his thinking the psychological pressure of that cash in the confines of what would be a basket case club and the expectations that price tag would have. He broke down and needed to get out of footy. Maybe, just maybe, in his time out he realised it wasn't footy that was his main stressor but rather playing footy at that basket case club. If that's the case and he wants to play footy again but not at Melbourne, I'm not sure why that makes him lacking in charachter. He hasn't threatened to walk out, he hasn't nominated a specific club and held the club to ransom. If his market value is low it's not by specific design. If he feels like he has something still to achieve in footy and the only way he can do that is a fresh start, then so be it. To suggest those afflicted with mental stresses are lacking in good character because they want a fresh start I think is entirely counter productive to educating the masses about mental illness.

Remi Moses
09-09-2014, 03:26 AM
Yep, that would be two years in a row, trading for a player who would immediately be our best forward. The flow on effect for Crameri and others would be massive, it's not just him directly. He can play amazing footy, if his head and feet are fit, i'd love to see us trade two years in a row for a player that would be our best forward.

It contradictes what Richardson said about aiming for 2018 -20, Clark will be in his early 30's by then .
Stkilda also not looking at F/A either.
Clark if everything was right would be a good fit for us.
Better than some of the dross served up in our direction .

Sedat
09-09-2014, 04:08 AM
Just because St Kilda are supposedly into him, doesn't mean that we should dutifully stay away. I'd love us to talk to him and make him an offer that compells him to want to join our club as the go-to key forward. Screw Melbourne and screw supposed ethics of player loyalty. We need to improve our list and bring in some more AFL standard quality, end of story. Otherwise we will be improving at a far slower rate than the expansion clubs - irrespective of having Bont, Macrae, Libba, etc.. We simply need to be bold IMO.

Remi Moses
09-09-2014, 05:40 AM
Agree Sedat, we have to get pro-active.

LostDoggy
09-09-2014, 12:08 PM
If he is in play we would be stupid not to go hard at him. Every side has health and mental issues to deal with, and he doesn't seem like a bad bloke at heart. Plus he is/was a gun! If we traded our Higgins compo to Melbourne for him, it would be a win win.

Bulldog4life
09-09-2014, 02:20 PM
According to the HUN St.Kilda haven't spoken to his manager. 3 Clubs have. He wants to go to a successful Club according to the report.

1eyedog
09-09-2014, 02:25 PM
According to the HUN St.Kilda haven't spoken to his manager. 3 Clubs have. He wants to go to a successful Club according to the report.

Yep he will end up at one of Hawthorn, Geelong or North you'd reckon - perhaps Essendon or Collingwood. We would be well off the radar. Still, it is worth an inquiry. A heap of money and a strong culture may be good for him - he seems to like money and you never know we could do what we did in 08 and go from 13th to 3rd in the space of one season :D

Doc26
09-09-2014, 03:05 PM
There is no point. The Aints have PS Draft pick 1 and he's theirs...... and they're welcome to him, to be perfectly honest. All the best to him, but this has typical Sht Kilda debacle written all over it....

We're best left out of it. I hope we tend more towards blue chip than speccies like this one.

Might strengthen our place in the draft for a young KPF like McCartin / Wright if he was to head to the Saints, unlikely as this outcome might be. Hopefully they pull it off.

Greystache
09-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Putting aside all the baggage and never ending injuries, he has extraordinary salary demands for a player who's only managed double figure goals twice in a season in his career and never kicked 30.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Putting aside all the baggage and never ending injuries, he has extraordinary salary demands for a player who's only managed double figure goals twice in a season in his career and never kicked 30.

I would be happy to see the club give Mitch Clark a miss. Clark was very well treated by Melbourne, where he is now happy to walk away from. IMO we should be using all our resources to target Sam Reid, who appeals as a far better proposition.

LostDoggy
09-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Yes in a heartbeat, we would be silly not to speak to his manager.

Agree that Sam Reid is someone we should also look at.

jeemak
09-09-2014, 04:00 PM
If the detail within the post ripped from the Demons forum is correct, I don't want a bar of him and I suspect he won't a bar of us.

Sedat
09-09-2014, 04:46 PM
I was quite bullish on Casboult from a structure perspective, not necessarily the bags of goals perspective, and I think Mitch would suit us in a similar way. He is a natural forward who is also adept in the ruck - we have 3 natural ruckmen on the list currently, none of whom can catch a cold up forward. And if we had a spate of serious injuries to our ruck stocks, Clark has shown he is a quality ruckman when needed as well.

Salary demands of $700k a season would now be off the table for him, but again I'd be quite comfortable with offering him around the $450k a season mark. I don't want polite enquiries, I want us to rattle the cages and shake the trees - we have been so meek and mild-mannered as a club in recent seasons and we need to start being bolder and braver. We have a list composition that is exciting for prospectives like Clark - it's time we started accentuating these positives.

Axe Man
09-09-2014, 04:54 PM
What worries me with Clark is that it seems to be being suggested that he wants to play at a successful club in order to preserve his mental state? If he isn't able to cope with losing games of football then I can't see how he is going to be able to cope with the pressure of AFL full stop, regardless of which club he plays for.

The Pie Man
09-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Really like him as a player - big no from me. If that post lifted from a Dees forum is true, it leaves a sour taste.
If he was just uncontracted and looking for a trade, no problems, though you'd consider an injury clause somewhere.
I do hope rumours of us chasing Sam Reid are true - especially if we lose Jones (slightly off topic, but only just)

bulldogtragic
09-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Really like him as a player - big no from me. If that post lifted from a Dees forum is true, it leaves a sour taste.
If he was just uncontracted and looking for a trade, no problems, though you'd consider an injury clause somewhere.
I do hope rumours of us chasing Sam Reid are true - especially if we lose Jones (slightly off topic, but only just)

if Jones said he wants Melboourne, and Clark says he wants the dogs. Who would the winner be, or would that be win/win?

jeemak
09-09-2014, 05:57 PM
if Jones said he wants Melboourne, and Clark says he wants the dogs. Who would the winner be, or would that be win/win?

That would just make Jones a masochist.

KT31
09-09-2014, 06:03 PM
That would just make Jones a masochist.

Not much different than being a Bulldogs supporter then.:)

jeemak
09-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Not much different than being a Bulldogs supporter then.:)

Yeah, but why would on choose to be a masochist? You'd have to be a real masochist to do something like that.

Rocco Jones
09-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Let me defend myself before I say what I am going to say.. I really feel for those with a mental illness and think we need to do whatever we can do for these people. Thing is, you can be obviously a great bloke with a mental illness and a very ordinary one with a mental illness. I really think Mitch comes off as the latter. Basically, I am less worried about his mental illness and more worried about him being a dickhead.

jeemak
09-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Let me defend myself before I say what I am going to say.. I really feel for those with a mental illness and think we need to do whatever we can do for these people. Thing is, you can be obviously a great bloke with a mental illness and a very ordinary one with a mental illness. I really think Mitch comes off as the latter. Basically, I am less worried about his mental illness and more worried about him being a dickhead.

He's certainly come off as the latter after this Melbourne episode, though perhaps he isn't and just doesn't receive decent advice.

Dry Rot
09-09-2014, 10:08 PM
After reading that Demons quote, I hope they give Clark a massive bill for rehab and fitness services. If true, Clark is a shit bloke.

bornadog
09-09-2014, 11:31 PM
Collingwood have met up with him.

bornadog
10-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Hawthorn has denied its interest in Mitch Clark, and will not pursue the key forward about playing for them in 2015.

Webby
10-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Hawthorn has denied its interest in Mitch Clark, and will not pursue the key forward about playing for them in 2015.

Hawthorn are a well run club..

Remi Moses
10-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Hawthorn are a well run club..

True . But they did pick up Dayle Garlett or Whatever his name is.
I'd pick up Clark if everything is right.

Ozza
10-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Mental illness aside, I'm a bit concerned about his durability.

We don't appear to be in the picture at this point anyway. Turns 28 next year....not sure he would be the right fit.

BulldogBelle
10-09-2014, 09:58 PM
He screwed Brisbane by saying he was off to Fremantle.
He screwed Fremantle by saying he was off to Melbourne.
He screwed Melbourne by saying he was off.

Even shit humans get mental illness.

AndrewP6
10-09-2014, 11:37 PM
He screwed Brisbane by saying he was off to Fremantle.
He screwed Fremantle by saying he was off to Melbourne.
He screwed Melbourne by saying he was off.

Even shit humans get mental illness.

Not excusing those decisions, but perhaps he made those judgments because of his mental illness.

Scorlibo
11-09-2014, 12:01 AM
As unfortunate as it is for Melbourne, I can understand him not wanting to go back there. People with depression are often told not to put themselves in situations or environments that have triggered illness in the past. I'd personally be very surprised if this was anything other than an attempt for Mitch to get back playing footy in the best head-space possible.

bornadog
28-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Reports out of Geelong are suggesting that Mitch Clark has backflipped on joining Collingwood and will now elect to join Geelong.

Source: 3AW

Keeps chopping and changing his mind??

Eze Dog
29-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Keeps chopping and changing his mind??

Perhaps due to the news of Dayne Beams leaving.