PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 22

Eastdog
23-08-2014, 06:20 PM
This is the round 22 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Sydney Swans is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
24-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Bump

Rance Fan
24-08-2014, 06:56 PM
bankers
Hrovat - Nice skilled game
Macrae - quality
Picken - solid effort like always

Anchors
Austin - not AFL standard
Murph/Dahl - simple errors, turnovers!
Griffen/Crameri - both didnt step up today!

boydogs
24-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Bankers
Macrae's tireless efforts to help us transition from defense to attack
Hrovat's foot skills
Murphy's composure

Anchors
Watching Morris having to play on Buddy, looked like he was a 15 year old on work experience
Crameri gave us nothing, 1 kick and 1 mark
Jong & Cordy not taking their chances

The bulldog tragician
24-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Bankers:
Hrovat impressed, worked hard, clean user
Valiant work ethic from Libber and Macrae.
The season is nearly over..
Anchors
The holes in our team were glaringly obvious today
Our excruciating skill level - at one point, 6 of first 8 goals from turnovers.
The rich get richer - the farce that is Sydney, their glittering forward line make a mockery of the level playing field, the farcical protection that they're given a further insult.

Remi Moses
24-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Macrae - skills and poise in traffic and decision making, as with Hrovat .
Picken and Morris battling manfully

Anchors - where do you start?
To many players with no poise , poor decision makers and poor disposal. Won't have long AFL Careers.
The farce and nonsense of a draft and SALARY CAP and relaying a B/S notion that it's an even playing field!
Total nonsense AFL. I don't blame Sydney, I blame AFL HQ for this pandering to the Sydney sporting fan.

always right
24-08-2014, 08:40 PM
B:
The tireless efforts of Morris against the odds....as usual.
Hrovat's breakout game

A:
That putrid first quarter and the howlers from Dahlhaus, Austin, Picken that gave Sydneys goals and Stevens who stuffed up his shot on goal
Crameri....where was his leadership today?
Some of Higgins and Gia's non efforts....really poor examples.

LostDoggy
24-08-2014, 09:49 PM
B

Stringer being the only forward with direction
Hrovat with effort
Luke Parker

A

Lack of discipline
Lack of execution
Mark Austin

Go_Dogs
24-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Bankers:-
Hrovat - Great effort today, things happened when he had the ball in hand.
Macrae - Another solid outing, took a few hits today and kept working.
Griffen - Made a few errors with his decision making/disposal, but worked very hard, especially running back.

Anchors:-
Umpiring - Even by the standards set this year, today was something special. Some shockers.
First quarter - I don't know what our stats are, but we need to get this sorted. We always seem to be able to regain momentum but far too often we're giving up big starts.

LostDoggy
24-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Bankers:
Hrovat. An excellent all round game.
Lin Jong's brilliant clearance at the start of the second quarter
The club for not conforming to the antics of many clubs who use sound effects and stupid gimmicky, american crap to involve the crowd. I'm talking about that stupid 'get loud' video that's been played after every goal at all of the Collingwood game, St Kilda game and North Melbourne game.

Anchors:
Turnovers. Our Skills were atrocious across the board.
Umpiring today. Is Roughead not allowed to contest a mark?
The Royal treatment the AFL gives Sydney both on the field and off the field

LostDoggy
24-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Bankers
Dale - what a fantastic player, shouldn't have to play on guys like Buddy outsizing him
Hrovat - becoming an excellent rover of the pack and goal sneak
Macrae - gets to the right spots

Anchors -
Umpires as if Sydney needed any help!
Certain goals turning into points
Turnovers, we are in the red, white and blue!!!

kruder
24-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Bankers:-
Hrovat - Great effort today, things happened when he had the ball in hand.
Macrae - Another solid outing, took a few hits today and kept working.
Griffen - Made a few errors with his decision making/disposal, but worked very hard, especially running back.

Anchors:-
Umpiring - Even by the standards set this year, today was something special. Some shockers.
First quarter - I don't know what our stats are, but we need to get this sorted. We always seem to be able to regain momentum but far too often we're giving up big starts.

Griffen a banker? he played ok in the last quarter but got totally beaten by a kid and continues just to hack the ball forward.

What do people think about Griffen? Is it just his back and lack of a preseason? Or has the captaincy weighed him down?

lemmon
24-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Griffen a banker? he played ok in the last quarter but got totally beaten by a kid and continues just to hack the ball forward.

What do people think about Griffen? Is it just his back and lack of a preseason? Or has the captaincy weighed him down?

The last half was interesting, first time I'd seen him look genuinely down and frustrated after marking and booting his goal. Every time he got the footy late he looked to run and take them on out of pure frustration and a need to break a few personal shackles if anything it seemed. I honestly think the lack of team success and his own struggles with fitness are starting to weigh him down considerably towards the back end of a long year, which is understandable for a first year captain dealing with extra pressures while being the sides undoubted best player. This isn't like Joel Selwood stepping into the captaincy of a dominant side, Charlie Sutton himself would find being a first year captain in a struggling side, while dealing with frustrations about your own fitness more than a little taxing.

The final round probably can't come soon enough but a good win against GWS, a few off-season beers and a holiday before a solid pre-season on the track and we should have the Griff of 2013 back and raring.

Rance Fan
24-08-2014, 11:20 PM

He has been good recently, but poor today in my opinion

Scorlibo
24-08-2014, 11:40 PM
The last half was interesting, first time I'd seen him look genuinely down and frustrated after marking and booting his goal. Every time he got the footy late he looked to run and take them on out of pure frustration and a need to break a few personal shackles if anything it seemed. I honestly think the lack of team success and his own struggles with fitness are starting to weigh him down considerably towards the back end of a long year, which is understandable for a first year captain dealing with extra pressures while being the sides undoubted best player. This isn't like Joel Selwood stepping into the captaincy of a dominant side, Charlie Sutton himself would find being a first year captain in a struggling side, while dealing with frustrations about your own fitness more than a little taxing.

The final round probably can't come soon enough but a good win against GWS, a few off-season beers and a holiday before a solid pre-season on the track and we should have the Griff of 2013 back and raring.

Concur with what you've said here.

He certainly reminded us how good a player he is in the last half with his run though - incredible.

josie
25-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Bankers
All the young ones tried hard today and provided a bit of spark
Murphy - I just love watching him glide across the turf
Cordy - looked at least competitive and very good below his knees - I just wish he'd clunk a few marks (hopefully this will come to fruition soon)

Anchors
I think Roughead is too slow, even though he was better today than he has been. Opposition forwards with any talent must relish playing us.
I wish Austin's talent matched his endeavour
The umpiring - how do they sleep at night? (Oh, that's right, with pictures of Buddy & Tippet above their beds). And why do they let our forwards be continually grappled by the opposition without a free kick to us?

Ozza
25-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Bankers:

Hrovat - clever little player. Works the angles really well to give himself some space and time. Uses the ball well.
Macrae - One of the few mids for the day that looked up for the Sydney challenge.
Morris - I've never seen someone play so well and have 6 kicked on them! Couldn't have done much more. Bravely left his opponent by 50-60 metres a couple of times to effect a spoil or mark. Selfless player.

Anchors:

Boyd - thought we got very little from him and his 28 possessions.
Austin - just doesn't have great footy instincts with ball in hand or when the ball hits the ground.
Crameri - difference between his best and worse is too much. Needs to improve his consistency. Didn't get separation from Richards at any stage in the game and even dragged Richards too close to Stringer at times which impeded him.

ratsmac
25-08-2014, 10:12 PM
BANKERS

Hrovat - this kid is a beauty. Genuine old school rover. He reads the game well.
Macrae - I am still pinching myself that he plays for us. He's only in his second year.
Morris - just for being up for the challenge no matter who he plays on. It's a shame buddy ended up with 6 because Morris played well.
A sneaky banker for Cordy - I thought he fought hard when he had to ruck most of the game. They tell us he's 100kg, c'mon he looked like a boy against a man. He kept going even though he was out classed and muscled.

ANCHORS

Austin - I feel for the guy because he tries so hard but AFL is just too much for his skill set.
Missing easy goals - we must be tanking. Jakey Jakey Jakey. He's lucky that miss was at our cheer squad end.
Umpires gifts - I felt sorry for Roughead. I wish our forwards were popular too.

bornadog
25-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Missing easy goals - we must be tanking. Jakey Jakey Jakey. He's lucky that miss was at our cheer squad end.

Stevens did exactly the same thing. We can't afford to miss those easy ones.