PDA

View Full Version : Rate a game Footscray V Collingwood 1984

Twodogs
02-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Western Bulldogs 6.2 6.5 10.9 15.10 (100) dftd Collingwood 6.4 10.10 11.14 13.17 (95) Western Oval

No-one who was there will ever forget it. It's deep into the last quarter and a point the difference in Collingwoods favour.

The Bulldogs Jim Edmond gives away a silly free kick to Gubby Allen deep in defence. Allen is in the back pocket and all he has to do is kick it long around the boundary and Collingwood have won the game. But he doesnt he spots Collingwood Fullback Greg Phillips standing alone in goal square and throwing 100 years of convential wisdom out the door kicks backward in defence .

The ball is marked by Simon Beasley who goes back and kicks the Bulldogs winning goal.

Who else was there"

GVGjr
02-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Western Bulldogs 6.2 6.5 10.9 15.10 (100) dftd Collingwood 6.4 10.10 11.14 13.17 (95) Western Oval

No-one who was there will ever forget it. It's deep into the last quarter and a point the difference in Collingwoods favour.

The Bulldogs Jim Edmond gives away a silly free kick to Gubby Allen deep in defence. Allen is in the back pocket and all he has to do is kick it long around the boundary and Collingwood have won the game. But he doesnt he spots Collingwood Fullback Greg Phillips standing alone in goal square and throwing 100 years of convential wisdom out the door kicks backward in defence .

The ball is marked by Simon Beasley who goes back and kicks the Bulldogs winning goal.

Who else was there"

I was there and I have the tape. I thought we were gone at half time and noticed a few people leaving...big mistake.

The Coon Dog
02-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Over to you Drunken Bum...

I was there that day. I remember stuff all about the game other than those final moments.

What about the serve Jock gave Gubby right afterwards?

Beasley did well to mark it as he was at full stretch moving backwards.

Mantis
02-11-2007, 11:28 AM

I was there that day. I remember stuff all about the game other than those final moments.

I was there too...Can't remember a thing about it, but have seen the vision of the final 30sec's so many times it's not funny.

You could tell Edmond was giving Gubby a proper going over as the veins on Edmond's temple were sticking out...

Twodogs
02-11-2007, 11:35 AM
My favorite was a Collingwood supprting mate was standing next to me screaming for Allen to kick it to Philips, kicking backwards was a big no-no back then, and then roundly abused him afterwards.

Ipaidmy200in89
02-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I love that last minute. I was there, standing on the wing between the John Gent and Whitten stands.....the crowd went off. Pure joy.

aker39
02-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I was there, standing in my usual position, on the 50m line in front of the Whitten Stand.

I actually have a clearer memory of the pie man taking the mark, than of him actually kicking the goal. I probably had my eyes closed, not being able to look.

SquirrelGrip
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
This is in the top 5 Bulldogs games I have seen (probably #2 to the Flood game v Essendon when Chris Grant won the game from the boundary).

Can you buy video/DVD of the last quarter? Bruce Duperouzel came off the bench and delivered his best quarter of football with the Dogs. From memory Angelo Petraglia got into it too.

The build up as we got closer with each goal was only surpassed by the manic disaster of Gubby Allen's kick. I doubt there have been many bigger cheers at the Western Oval.

BulldogBelle
02-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I was there also. Sitting next to cheer squad as a young teenager. Awesome. What a comeback. Go Beeza.

Max469
02-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I was there.

Lived up the road at the time - got chased all the way home by angry Collingwood supporters.

Never ran so fast in my life.

BulldogBelle
02-11-2007, 11:00 PM
What a game that was, definitely sitting on the edge of your seat stuff. Edmond was my favourite Bulldog at the time and I remember putting my hands over my face when he gave away the free kick to Gubby - then all of a sudden someone shouting behind me "don't do that, Beasley has the ball, watch" I quickly looked up and saw Beasley slot the goal - I was totally blown away turned around high fived the person that yelled and went home happy.

LostDoggy
02-11-2007, 11:33 PM
This is in the top 5 Bulldogs games I have seen (probably #2 to the Flood game v Essendon when Chris Grant won the game from the boundary).

Can you buy video/DVD of the last quarter? Bruce Duperouzel came off the bench and delivered his best quarter of football with the Dogs. From memory Angelo Petraglia got into it too.

The build up as we got closer with each goal was only surpassed by the manic disaster of Gubby Allen's kick. I doubt there have been many bigger cheers at the Western Oval.

Well you can buy the last half of the last quarter from the ABC Sales and Marketing in Elsternwick. I did but it was over the phone, I didn't walk into their office.

The tape or dvd has three matches on it from that Saturday afternoon which was June 2 1984. I bought the dvd and it has three games that the ABC Winners Program covered that Saturday afternoon. The three games were -

Melbourne v Richmond from the Cricket Ground
St Kilda v Fitzroy from Waverley

and of course

Footscray v Collingwood from the Western Oval

The Footscray game is the last one- there are three goals shown (and well also a Collingwood one too.) The three majors are from Rick Kennedy, Bruce Duperouzel and of course Simon Beasley. They do not show the last quarter snap shot goal by Michael Mc Lean which happened before the Rick Kennedy goal- you can briefly see that Michael McLean goal on the 1984 -That Was The Season That Was video, because that particular program was shown on Channel 7, whereas the dvd I am talking about here. is from Channel 2.

The Channel 7 commentators were Bobby Skilton and Sandy Roberts, but it seems you can only see highlights of this game from Channel 7 by watching 1984- That Was The Season That Was.

The ABC commentators are Tim Lane and Don Hyde. There is a video that you may still be able to buy that has 3 old Footscray games from the past. The video is Fantastic Footy Flashbacks and each club has 1 or 2 volumes. We have the one volume only- most of the other Victorian clubs have the two volumes. The first game on this is Essendon v Footscray from Windy Hill in 1964.You see around 15 minutes of action from the last quarter- there is a superb drop kick goal from Ian Bryant. Anyway one of the commentators that day in 1964 was Don Hyde, so 20 years later in 1984 he was calling this Footscray v Collingwood match.

As for the match yes I was there. If the W.S.Cox Plate is the best two minutes in Australian racing, then the final 120 seconds from that game of Saturday 2nd June 1984 was the best 2 minutes ever at the Western Oval.

bornadog
03-11-2007, 01:01 AM
I was there as well and miserable for most of the day until that great mo,ent in the last quarter. ON SEN a few months back, they discussed this game and asked supporters who were there to ring in. Most of the supporters who rang were Collingwood supporters, so I decided to ring in and gave my two bobs worth and won the DVD of the best of the 1980's.

I hate those DVD's of the 1970's and 1980's because they never ever have highlights of Doggies game. The 1980's one has the last minute of this game and thats about all. Nothing from our sensational 1985 sesan.

LostDoggy
03-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I was there as well and miserable for most of the day until that great mo,ent in the last quarter. ON SEN a few months back, they discussed this game and asked supporters who were there to ring in. Most of the supporters who rang were Collingwood supporters, so I decided to ring in and gave my two bobs worth and won the DVD of the best of the 1980's.

I hate those DVD's of the 1970's and 1980's because they never ever have highlights of Doggies game. The 1980's one has the last minute of this game and thats about all. Nothing from our sensational 1985 sesan.

You can buy

That Was The Season That Was

Well I think you can buy 1986? Yes I am pretty sure it is around- or was around

Anyhow my point is where is 1985?

Also where is 1979 too, but 1985 is the main act.

Drunken Bum
06-11-2007, 07:25 AM

As TCD alluded to, i was there that day. Dont remember a lot about the game personally except the final moments. I was 14 at the time and there with my mother who is a mental collingwood supporter. When Beasely took the mark she turned to me and said "dont you say a f*#@ing word" Of course being 14 that meant not a lot to me at the time and proceeded to give gubby an absolute mouthfall, and was jumping around like a madman as the Pieman slotted it, all the while Mum was saying "thats it you're walking home" as she headed out of the ground.
Care? pfft, "it was only to East Keilor" i was thinking as i jumped the fence to pat my heroes on the back and headed down to the rooms to soak up the atmosphere where i luckily ran into a mate and his dad who kindly gave me a lift home.

What a great day :)

Dry Rot
06-11-2007, 12:00 PM
As TCD alluded to, i was there that day. Dont remember a lot about the game personally except the final moments. I was 14 at the time and there with my mother who is a mental collingwood supporter. When Beasely took the mark she turned to me and said "dont you say a f*#@ing word" Of course being 14 that meant not a lot to me at the time and proceeded to give gubby an absolute mouthfall, and was jumping around like a madman as the Pieman slotted it, all the while Mum was saying "thats it you're walking home" as she headed out of the ground.
Care? pfft, "it was only to East Keilor" i was thinking as i jumped the fence to pat my heroes on the back and headed down to the rooms to soak up the atmosphere where i luckily ran into a mate and his dad who kindly gave me a lift home.

What a great day :)

Despite being a Pies fan, you've got to admire your mum's hardline attitude.

Drunken Bum
06-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Despite being a Pies fan, you've got to admire your mum's hardline attitude.

Lol, yeah i cant hold that against her, if i ever have kids and they dont follow the Dogs they will be long gone from my household by the time they reach 14 :)

Chicago1
06-11-2007, 05:22 PM
I was there standing on the second from the top step right behind the left hand behind post scoreboard end.

I clearly remember thinking I was going to have a heart attack when I saw Allen's kick and Beasley's mark. I swear my heart was pumping so fast I thought it would burst. How could anyone who was there forget the absolute sheer excitement of that moment? Well, that is anyone who wasn't fully pissed that day! :D

I never saw us beat Collingwood at Victoria Park. In August 1985 the one and only time we beat them there in the 25 years I lived in Melbourne, I was on a bus heading for Surfers for the school holidays. We were somewhere in country NSW when I heard the news on my transistor radio that we had won.