PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 23 vs GWS Giants

Eastdog
23-08-2014, 06:22 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 23 game against GWS Giants at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
24-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Your final chance to make the calls.

bornadog
24-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Load up the VFL and the rest can play AFL

boydogs
24-08-2014, 07:44 PM

Jong & Cordy were well beaten today but they may be able to get into it more against GWS. Happy enough with no change this week

bornadog
24-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Jong & Cordy were well beaten today but they may be able to get into it more against GWS. Happy enough with no change this week

The VFL will need a ruckman which means Minson isn't eligible.

Cordy may have to go back for Minson.

divvydan
24-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Does eligibility matter whilst the AFL team is still playing matches?

bornadog
24-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Believe it does matter.

The following are eligible to play VFL finals:
Mark Austin, Tom Campbell, Ayce Cordy, Sam Darley, Tory Dickson, Brett Goodes, Jarrad Grant, Alex Greenwood, Mitch Honeychurch, Christian Howard, Jason Johannisen, Liam Jones, Lin Jong, Daniel Pearce, Jack Redpath, Fletcher Roberts, Clay Smith*, Michael Talia, Jason Tutt, Tom Young

Pickenitup
24-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Minson can play VFL this week if not selected in the AFL.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2014, 08:05 PM

No it does not.

The Underdog
24-08-2014, 08:10 PM
The VFL will need a ruckman which means Minson isn't eligible.

Cordy may have to go back for Minson.

I reckon Cordy earned another shot. Campbell may miss with his eye anyway.

F'scary
24-08-2014, 08:52 PM
I reckon Cordy earned another shot. Campbell may miss with his eye anyway.

Agree, play him again.
Out: Austin, Jong, Gia (sorry but he looked completely cooked today even coming off the sub bench), Campbell (inj), Higgins (if he is going then why bother? Hasn't been playing that well for a senior player, anyway), Roughead (looks like he is injured in the upper torso or shoulders - hope he is not going the way of Williams)
In: Roberts, Young, Honeychurch, Minson (if Campbell inj), Hunter, Talia

Go_Dogs
24-08-2014, 09:46 PM
No changes for me this week, unless there are any injuries from today.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Structurally our team is poor. Roughead again proved that he is too slow to play at FB. Morris is no longer suited to be our second tall defender. Austin simply doesn't measure up. Crameri isn't suited as a key forward. It is time to get our spine right by playing Roughy at CHF, Roberts CHB and Talia at FB. Minson needs to return with Roughead as the back up ruck man. Young deserves a recall whilst Honeychurch's attack on the ball will add support to Hrovat and Dahlhaus.
B Picken Talia Morris
HB Murphy Roberts Cooney
C Macrae Boyd Cooney
HF Dahlhaus Roughead Crameri
F Bontempelli Stringer Hrovat
R Minson Griffen Liberatore
Int Stevens Young Johannisen Honeychurch
In. Minson Roberts Talia Young Honeychurch
Out. Austin Campbell Cordy Jong Giansircusa

Hotdog60
24-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Agree, play him again.
Out: Austin, Jong, Gia (sorry but he looked completely cooked today even coming off the sub bench), Campbell (inj), Higgins (if he is going then why bother? Hasn't been playing that well for a senior player, anyway), Roughead (looks like he is injured in the upper torso or shoulders - hope he is not going the way of Williams)
In: Roberts, Young, Honeychurch, Minson (if Campbell inj), Hunter, Talia

Gia will play a full farewell game next week unless injured during the game. From the coaches mouth.

lemmon
24-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Gia will play a full farewell game next week unless injured during the game. From the coaches mouth.
And rightly so, has been a very good bulldogs man for a very long time.

Ozza
25-08-2014, 12:59 PM

The minute you think about not picking the best 22 in the seniors, then you're not fair dinkum as a footy club. I don't agree with the above theory one bit.

bornadog
25-08-2014, 01:46 PM
The minute you think about not picking the best 22 in the seniors, then you're not fair dinkum as a footy club. I don't agree with the above theory one bit.

I do agree we should pick the best 22, but under develop stage - are we?

Do you think we have been picking the best 22 over the last 5 weeks?

westdog54
25-08-2014, 02:26 PM
People really want to drop Gia? Really? Seriously?

I know we're all a bit upset but bloody hell, surely we don't drop him the week before he retires.

whythelongface
25-08-2014, 02:32 PM

I know we're all a bit upset but bloody hell, surely we don't drop him the week before he retires.

I think there was only one in the previous repsones. I would say that everyone wants (and expects) to see Gia get a farewell since he has played the last few weeks.

Cyberdoggie
25-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Might get a bigger crowd and a win playing for Footscray at WO then over at Etihad. :)

westdog54
25-08-2014, 04:29 PM
I do agree we should pick the best 22, but under develop stage - are we?

Do you think we have been picking the best 22 over the last 5 weeks?

Maybe not, I still believe that some players have been left in the VFL for the benefit of their development.

I think there was only one in the previous repsones. I would say that everyone wants (and expects) to see Gia get a farewell since he has played the last few weeks.

I saw at least two of the half dozen or so that had made suggestions for changes up until that point.

If Campbell is injured then that would be the only change I would make.

F'scary
27-08-2014, 08:32 PM

Ok I was a bit out of order. Post loss depression

Pickenitup
28-08-2014, 06:59 PM
In MINSON YOUNG TUTT ROBERTS JONES
OUT CORDY(OMITTED)ROUGHY(INJ)

Remi Moses
28-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Cordy was stiff

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2014, 07:36 PM
To be honest, I'd rather we make minimal changes, thus allowing our VFL side its full compliment to have a red hot go at winning.

Minson and Young for Roughy/Cordy would be my call.

bornadog
28-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Cordy was stiff
No choice it's either Cordy or Campbell into the VFL as Minson doesn't qualify

azabob
28-08-2014, 08:09 PM
No choice it's either Cordy or Campbell into the VFL as Minson doesn't qualify

There is always a choice BAD.

I can't recall but Minson can play VFL if the seniors are stilly playing?

Twodogs
28-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Cordy was stiff

Playing a final in front of a packed Whitten Oval is a good second prize.

josie
28-08-2014, 08:21 PM
I think playing Cordy in the final is intentional, rather than "dropping" him for what was an ok game.

G-Mo77
28-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Playing a final in front of a packed Whitten Oval is a good second prize.

First prize. :)

jeemak
28-08-2014, 09:49 PM
I think playing Cordy in the final is intentional, rather than "dropping" him for what was an ok game.

I think you're probably right.

Do GWS have anyone who will stretch us this week, in terms of forward height that can't be accounted for by Austin and Morris? If not, I'd like to see Young get a game, with Roberts performing well in a final for Footscray.

divvydan
28-08-2014, 09:52 PM

Do GWS have anyone who will stretch us this week, in terms of forward height that can't be accounted for by Austin and Morris? If not, I'd like to see Young get a game, with Roberts performing well in a final for Footscray.

They really only have Patton and Giles (if he plays). On the extended bench is also McCarthy who was drafted as a tall forward but hasn't played a game yet. Would expect one of Giles/McCarthy to play and maybe both.

jeemak
28-08-2014, 10:49 PM
They really only have Patton and Giles (if he plays). On the extended bench is also McCarthy who was drafted as a tall forward but hasn't played a game yet. Would expect one of Giles/McCarthy to play and maybe both.

You mean Boyd rather than Patton?

BulldogBelle
28-08-2014, 10:56 PM
We don't have to win this week in the VFL do we?

We have the double chance in the VFL.

Might as well pick our best team for the AFL.

All qualifiers should be available for the VFL next week.

Dry Rot
28-08-2014, 11:28 PM

They have a Boyd who is somewhat taller than ours.

Tomlinson isn't super tall, but would sort Austin out and tire Morris out. Very mobile.

bornadog
28-08-2014, 11:33 PM
There is always a choice BAD.

I can't recall but Minson can play VFL if the seniors are stilly playing?

I don"t believe so. I posted the eligible players in the VFL Finals thread. Its only if the seniors are playing finals, then I believe the rule changes.

LostDoggy
29-08-2014, 10:14 AM
I don"t believe so. I posted the eligible players in the VFL Finals thread. Its only if the seniors are playing finals, then I believe the rule changes.

My understanding is as long as the Senior side is still playing, anyone can play in the VFL.

Minson is still named in the VFL side, as is Hunter who was not on the list of qualified players you posted up earlier.

SlimPickens
29-08-2014, 10:25 AM
My understanding is as long as the Senior side is still playing, anyone can play in the VFL.

Minson is still named in the VFL side, as is Hunter who was not on the list of qualified players you posted up earlier.

This is correct Minson et al can play this week but not as the VFL finals progress beyond week 1.

westdog54
29-08-2014, 10:32 AM
We don't have to win this week in the VFL do we?

We have the double chance in the VFL.

Might as well pick our best team for the AFL.

All qualifiers should be available for the VFL next week.

I wouldn't be wasting the double chance.

bornadog
29-08-2014, 10:34 AM
This is correct Minson et al can play this week but not as the VFL finals progress beyond week 1.

ok, I just checked the rules and you are right.

SlimPickens
29-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Think the bench will be Young, Roberts, Minson and Hrovat.

divvydan
29-08-2014, 01:53 PM
You mean Boyd rather than Patton?

Yes, sorry, meant Boyd but must've had Patton in my head.

bornadog
29-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Members bring a friend for free on Sunday

bornadog
29-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Final teams:
Minson, Roberts, Young in for Roughead, Cordy, Jong.

jeemak
29-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Both Young and Roberts deserve a spot, so I'm fine with the changes.

G-Mo77
29-08-2014, 06:47 PM
I would have left Jong in and left Young out.

Roughead should have been rested weeks ago or we should have put Roberts in weeks ago at the expense of Austin.

Don't really care at this stage though. Looking forward to the end.

LostDoggy
29-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Roughead should have been rested weeks ago or we should have put Roberts in weeks ago at the expense of Austin.

I'm not. Don't care how well or otherwise we are going, I still love it! Oh well time to swap the footy for the races....Gee I love this city:)

G-Mo77
30-08-2014, 01:15 AM
I'm not. Don't care how well or otherwise we are going, I still love it! Oh well time to swap the footy for the races....Gee I love this city:)

Another season over and closer to a more competitive team (hopefully) :)

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2014, 01:36 AM

Agree with the above, especially the bolded.