PDA

View Full Version : Rate a Game- Rd 22 'The battle of Subiaco'

Twodogs
02-11-2007, 11:44 AM
West Coast 5.2 9.8 13.14 17.15 (117) dftd Western Bulldogs 2.0 4.1 6.4 6.10 (46) Subiaco Sep 4 (Sun)

We had a finals spot sewn up and went to WA in the last round. Expected the normal thrashing we'd get in WA back then and leading up to half time we werent dissapointed with the Eagles blowing out to a 9 goal lead. The ball heads for the boundary, Brett Heady "Jobby" picks up the ball and Steve Wallis arrives from nowhere and splits Heady straight down the middle with a perfect shirtfront.

Then all hell breake loose. West Coast players fly the flag and fights brek out everywhere. Danny Southern makes his famous chokerhold on Peter Sumich, fist are flying everywhere and Doug Hawkins pulls a groin muscle running to the fight-he never plays for Footscray again.

The Coon Dog
02-11-2007, 11:55 AM
I watched that game in hospital as my daughter was born late on Saturday night.

Here are some highlights, including Wally's bump & subsequent aftermath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZe_CssU4U

Go_Dogs
02-11-2007, 12:19 PM
I remember this game mainly for the brawl, as I was still reasonably young when it happened. I used to be quite fond of that Eagles outfit too - strong team.

mjp
02-11-2007, 05:17 PM
I wasn't there - had a Sunday afternoon game myself that day. Copped more than a bit of a hard time as we watched the replay/delayed telecast of the game in the bar after the game...

LostDoggy
02-11-2007, 11:49 PM
I was there.

Twodogs
03-11-2007, 10:41 AM
I was there.

What was it like Jerry?

You must have some great stories.

Twodogs
03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I was at the battle of Hastings.

Not much happened where I was standing.

LostDoggy
03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I was down the city end, couldn't see a great deal. Sorry Coon Dog

LostDoggy
03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
It ended the career of ..............

John Rogers

The boundary rider bloke, who bagged Daniel Southern, Footscray etc

Opened his mouth and got somewhat hysterical. So have you ever seen him on the box since?

Twodogs
03-11-2007, 11:10 PM
I was down the city end, couldn't see a great deal. Sorry Coon Dog

What about the crowd did you fear for your life being a Bulldog supporter in the crowd? Was it tense at half time? Were people venting all sorts of rubbish? Did you end up decking some lippy bastard?

I was in the bulldog social club and the crowd went off. It was about the only resistance we showed in the game but there were plenty of smi;es amongst the people there at half time.

Anthony_
04-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Loved the Steve Wallis bump the flattened Heady. Then Sumich pretty much started the fight...Southern finished it :p

Anthony_
04-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah i googled boobs avatar...lol

Dry Rot
05-11-2007, 12:23 AM
My mum lives in Perth, and now I know why Doggies fans are hated when I visit her.

Good on Wallis and Southern. Hammer the bastards. I hate the Eagles.

mjp
05-11-2007, 05:18 PM
My mum lives in Perth, and now I know why Doggies fans are hated when I visit her.

Good on Wallis and Southern. Hammer the bastards. I hate the Eagles.

There is more too it than that as well.

Danny Southern was a very, very highly rated junior who did his knee at maybe age 15 or 16. West Coast took him in, he did all his rehab at that footy club etc etc...basically spent the year there. He would have been about the same age as Jackovich etc as well. The club was fuming - saw the Southern thing as some kind of betrayal, and the press crucified him, effectively blaming him for the whole thing whilst drawing everyone's attention to how well the Eagles had treated him as a junior etc etc.

In many ways this game was a bit of a watershed in WA footy - before then, everyone loved the Eagles but still supported WA players who were at other clubs....'I we beat Geelong, but hope Mark Bairstow plays well....' etc. From this point on, it was just West Coast all the way - and Danny Southern is to blame (or should get the credit?). As a Perth-based, non-Eagles fan, it was certainly the end of the time where it was generally acceptable to support a team other than the Eagles, and the beginning of what has become a ridiculous atmosphere at Subi for away fans.

Sockeye Salmon
05-11-2007, 05:24 PM
There is more too it than that as well.

Danny Southern was a very, very highly rated junior who did his knee at maybe age 15 or 16. West Coast took him in, he did all his rehab at that footy club etc etc...basically spent the year there. He would have been about the same age as Jackovich etc as well. The club was fuming - saw the Southern thing as some kind of betrayal, and the press crucified him, effectively blaming him for the whole thing whilst drawing everyone's attention to how well the Eagles had treated him as a junior etc etc.

In many ways this game was a bit of a watershed in WA footy - before then, everyone loved the Eagles but still supported WA players who were at other clubs....'I we beat Geelong, but hope Mark Bairstow plays well....' etc. From this point on, it was just West Coast all the way - and Danny Southern is to blame (or should get the credit?). As a Perth-based, non-Eagles fan, it was certainly the end of the time where it was generally acceptable to support a team other than the Eagles, and the beginning of what has become a ridiculous atmosphere at Subi for away fans.

We took Southern with pick 74. West Coast obviously didn't rate him enough to actually draft him.

mjp
05-11-2007, 05:37 PM
We took Southern with pick 74. West Coast obviously didn't rate him enough to actually draft him.

The media never lets the truth get in the way of a good story though.

LostDoggy
06-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I was there, but standing at the city end and this happened over near the members. 'The battle of Subiaco' overstates it, there was not really all that much violence apart from the wrestling. Sadly for Danny, Sumich's glass throat left ruined Danny's reputation. He was no Rhys-Jones, he just looked tough.

My only memory from this day was watching the Dogs warm up outside the ground on a nearby patch of grass. The game itself has blurred into one of many pummelings over there.

There were many dark days at Subiaco, and at the WACA. I wonder who else recalls the day Sumich kicked 14 (or 13) against us under lights at the WACA? He just kept potting them from miles out with that ludicrous left foot. I remember Dougie looking old and slow in that game.

LostDoggy
06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
A great reply there Shorty.

Did Fruitcake Ford end up trying to curb Sumich that day he kicked that big bag?

LostDoggy
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Good question. Don't remember who took the punishment. Although I remember someone (Gow maybe?) tangling with "firebrand/utility" Peter Wilson.

The Coon Dog
06-11-2007, 03:25 PM
From memory Paul Gow started on Sumich the night he kicked 13.

Sockeye Salmon
06-11-2007, 06:09 PM
From memory Paul Gow started on Sumich the night he kicked 13.

That was always going to end in tears.