PDA

View Full Version : What are the credentials of this Zaine Cordy

F'scary
24-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Keep hearing that we can get him as a F/S, probably in the 3rd round.

Wouldn't mind finding a bit more about what he could bring and whether he is worth our second round pick if another club nominates him?

GVGjr
24-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Solid season for the Falcons and one of the best in the back line yesterday. 3rd round would be nice but we may have to use our 2nd round selection. I think he will need a season at Footscray to really develop him.

F'scary
24-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Solid season for the Falcons and one of the best in the back line yesterday. 3rd round would be nice but we may have to use our 2nd round selection. I think he will need a season at Footscray to really develop him.

Hmmm. It seems to me, our second round pick is going to have to be on a key position player. Could he be a FB or CHB?

GVGjr
24-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Hmmm. It seems to me, our second round pick is going to have to be on a key position player. Could he be a FB or CHB?

Probably more like Hargrave than a Morris in strength as they were about the same height. Smart player who reads the game well.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2014, 09:33 PM

Zaine is playing these roles this year, but that's not going to happen in the AFL. I've been on board for a while. Search the forum for his name and you will get some of my thoughts in detail. He's a good sort, maybe second rounder as G says.

F'scary
24-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Zaine is playing these roles this year, but that's not going to happen in the AFL. I've been on board for a while. Search the forum for his name and you will get some of my thoughts in detail. He's a good sort, maybe second rounder as G says.

If we get another 2nd round pick from compo for Higgins, then I suppose we could spend one on a Hargy type. But otherwise, we are going to have to think very hard about this, even if he is a good prospect. This is why I think we need to let go of some value where we have a surfeit to get another pick or two between 26 & 35 for needs based recruiting.

Of course, if we only have to use pick 42, then it sounds like the decision will be easy.

F'scary
24-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Just confirmed (Wikipedia - if it can be trusted) that the rival bid against the F/S nomination must be higher - not just in the same round.

"3. If a bid is made, the club that nominated the father-son player must use its next available selection if it wishes to retain its hold on that player. If a club nominating the father-son player declines to match the selection nominated, the club with the successful bid must use that selection at the Draft to select the player."

Sounds like a reasonable chance of scoring Zaine with around pick 42.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2014, 10:02 PM
If we get another 2nd round pick from compo for Higgins, then I suppose we could spend one on a Hargy type. But otherwise, we are going to have to think very hard about this, even if he is a good prospect. This is why I think we need to let go of some value where we have a surfeit to get another pick or two between 26 & 35 for needs based recruiting.

Of course, if we only have to use pick 42, then it sounds like the decision will be easy.

If you believe me, Zaine's upper end could be somewhere between Shaggy Hargrave and Bob Murphy. I'm not sure total objectivity in numbers is the right call, but I understand exactly your sentiment. I think pick 6 has a good tall available (Paddy, Wright, Petracca and maybe Brayshaw gone) so maybe a Goddard or Durdin type. Zaine is 192cm last time I checked and with some growing and his reading/spoiling he's a good extra tall-ish defender, but not a permanent feature.

Zaine might cop some flack because his brother hasn't developed as soon as we wanted, but that would be grossly unfair. Zaine is a very talented kid who has gone from rookie type pick to second rounder type consideration for good reason. His champs we're unremarkable, but his TAC and school footy has been very good. Just go with the flow on this one would be my advice. :)

bulldogtragic
24-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Just confirmed (Wikipedia - if it can be trusted) that the rival bid against the F/S nomination must be higher - not just in the same round.

"3. If a bid is made, the club that nominated the father-son player must use its next available selection if it wishes to retain its hold on that player. If a club nominating the father-son player declines to match the selection nominated, the club with the successful bid must use that selection at the Draft to select the player."

Yep, father son is usually first to kick off in the post season. Say our second rounder is 24. A club needs to be 23 or higher. Pick 25 or lower and he's ours for pick 42 (likely to be maybe 48 in real terms after FA compo is dolled out). A club like Sydney might see a player like him in their plans for example as they don't need mids or KPFs to the same extent.

GVGjr
24-08-2014, 10:30 PM

If Geelong for example offers pick 16 or the Saints offer pick 20 then we will have to use our 2nd round pick. Fair chance this will happen.

F'scary
24-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Sounds like he would be a steal for pick 42ish - fingers crossed.