PDA

View Full Version : Man ejected from Etihad Stadium for abusing Swans players

bornadog
25-08-2014, 11:49 AM
When will people learn - and he has embarrassed the club.

A football supporter has been fined after allegedly racially abusing two Sydney players during the Swans' clash with the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.Victoria Police have confirmed a 70-year-old Newport man was evicted from the venue for making "offensive comments" towards two Swans players. He had been reported to police by other spectators.

Police have spoken to officials from the Swans, who advised them the players had not heard the comments.
It is believed the fan was sitting in level three and is not a member of either club.
"A man was evicted from Etihad Stadium around 4.35 yesterday afternoon after allegedly making offensive comments towards two Sydney Swans players," said Senior Constable Melissa Seach.

"The behaviour of the man was reported to police by other supporters in the stadium. The 70-year-old Newport man will receive a penalty notice in relation to offensive behaviour.
"Police also spoke to representatives from the Sydney Swans Football Club and been advised the comments were not heard by the players."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/man-ejected-from-etihad-stadium-for-abusing-swans-players-20140825-10802f.html#ixzz3BMPTyqim

LostDoggy
25-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Yep - totally not on. Not a member of the bulldogs but was he a supporter? If so can he still be banned from our club games?

Bulldog4life
25-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Idiot. So glad he was reported by other supporters.

bornadog
25-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Yep - totally not on. Not a member of the bulldogs but was he a supporter? If so can he still be banned from our club games?
A supporter from what has been reported.

GVGjr
25-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Well done to the supporter who reported him. The message is getting through to many people but there will always be a few slow learners. They will eventually get weeded out.

Topdog
25-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Is this related??

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-08-25/club-statement-from-president-peter-gordon

Disappointing all round.

bornadog
25-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Is this related??

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-08-25/club-statement-from-president-peter-gordon

Disappointing all round.

yes it is.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Bloody hell, we get a finite window on media at the moment and this is what idiots are doing. When did making comments like this become even remotely acceptable? It never did so why this is still happening?

Remi Moses
25-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Pathetic and sad .
The whole Buddy COLA debate, and frustration at umpiring is no excuse for abhorrent behaviour.
Enough

G-Mo77
25-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Try and look at it with a glass half full. These louts are being reported to authorities. This behavior has been tolerated for years it's good to see everyone involved doing their best to stamp it out.

GVGjr
25-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Try and look at it with a glass half full. These louts are being reported to authorities. This behavior has been tolerated for years it's good to see everyone involved doing their best to stamp it out.

That's how I see it. Once people realise that other supporters won't cop it they will either stop going to the footy or keep their narrow minded views to themselves.

The club is handling this very well.

BulldogBelle
25-08-2014, 09:47 PM
These people do your head in.

When will they learn!

GVGjr
25-08-2014, 10:09 PM
These people do your head in.

When will they learn!

Some won't. I'm hoping given the fact that spectators reported him it's sets a standard for us all to report these offensive acts and not just sit back and shake our heads.

F'scary
25-08-2014, 10:34 PM
If these blokes were yelling out unequivocally racist abuse at players with aboriginal heritage, that is deplorable. I can recall many times when I have witnessed this at games (but never at a Western Bulldogs game) over the past 45 odd years and I have seen that even going back to the mid 1970's other people in the crowd would speak up and tell the racist to shut up, sometimes at risk to their own personal safety. I have never seen a culture of public support for this kind of behaviour at the AFL, it has always just been a few idiots.

ratsmac
25-08-2014, 11:38 PM
What a moron.

Greystache
25-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Are the reports true it was a 70 year old? If so he's never going to change.

Topdog
25-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Are the reports true it was a 70 year old? If so he's never going to change.

yeah my thoughts too. My age limit on not caring if they say racist things is 55-60. They are just set in their ways and have done it all their life. Doesn't make it nice but they aint changing.

1eyedog
26-08-2014, 08:27 AM
I'm Aboriginal but look pretty Aussie. I have some Bulldog supporter mates who are Aboriginal and look Aboriginal - been supporting the club since Winmar transferred over. Paid up members. My mates sometimes get abused by opposition supporters well under 70. Essendon supporters are the worse which is ironic considering they've had more Aboriginal players than anyone.

bornadog
26-08-2014, 09:54 AM
I'm Aboriginal but look pretty Aussie. I have some Bulldog supporter mates who are Aboriginal and look Aboriginal - been supporting the club since Winmar transferred over. Paid up members. My mates sometimes get abused by opposition supporters well under 70. Essendon supporters are the worse which is ironic considering they've had more Aboriginal players than anyone.

You mean Anglo;)

I think its a disgrace your mates getting abused - what is wrong with people.

1eyedog
26-08-2014, 10:24 AM
You mean Anglo;)

I think its a disgrace your mates getting abused - what is wrong with people.

Yes I mean Anglo although my mates call me skip :) I'm all up for a bit of piss taking amongst friends but unfortunately the vestiges of the white Australia policy are still felt fairly strongly amongst the minorities of this country.

Anyway, it's difficult not to turn this into a political debate so I'll just leave it there and concentrate on discussing the mighty Dogs.

Murphy'sLore
26-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences, 1eyedog. It's appreciated.