PDA

View Full Version : Expectations?

Eastdog
31-08-2014, 12:08 AM
I know that this season still hasn't finished and that ours will come to an end tomorrow but I wanted to ask that for next season do you reckon we go in there with less expectation and the results will eventually come and will be less disappointed or should we have higher expectation. 2011 we had high expectations from our then president David Smorgon that will going to have a great year but look what happened it was anything but.

Do you agree that:

Less expectations from supporters = less disappointment if things don't go right and more likely that the outcome will be good.

High expectations from supporters = more pressure on the club to deliver and not coming through which ultimately leads to huge disappointment all round.

Would love to get fellow woofers thoughts on this.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2014, 12:17 AM
I get where you're coming from ED, but that's too simple for what is more complex. It's a matter of needing to have realistic expectations and with our list, expectation for improved onfield performance must be non negotiable. If you work off the basis an outcome is good because people meet low expectations, then it might be good to review why that outcome would be good.

Every preseason is the same. It's fresh hope. You might want to study 1996 and 1997 with our club ED. An appreciation for those years might offer some historical clarity in how we need to look at things.

Eastdog
31-08-2014, 12:23 AM
I get where you're coming from ED, but that's too simple for what is more complex. It's a matter of needing to have realistic expectations and with our list, expectation for improved onfield performance must be non negotiable. If you work off the basis an outcome is good because people meet low expectations, then it might be good to review why that outcome would be good.

Every preseason is the same. It's fresh hope. You might want to study 1996 and 1997 with our club ED. An appreciation for those years might offer some historical clarity in how we need to look at things.

Yes I think having hope and realistic expectations are very important but an example of an expectation which may of been high might of been the push for the 8 this season which we didn't end up doing and has left many of us disappointed with this season. I would say that for next season a realistic expectation for me would be to win 10 games and be closer to the 8 but a too high expectation would be to make the finals in 2015. Some thought we would even sneak into the 8 this year.

macca
31-08-2014, 01:52 AM
the dogs clear themselves of list cloggers , free for 2015.
Its interesting to see the players hawks have moved on, bar McGlynn and Kennedy who could not get a game, would not make the cut, were on the decline or injury prone: gilham, whitecross, savage, clinton young, xavier ellis, adam pattison,hooper, carl peterson, Sierakowsk just to name a few of top of head.
Geelong have done the same with, Hunt ( retired ) and Chapman( he could have a 1 or two left with essendon)

Eastdog
31-08-2014, 11:33 PM
So season 2014 is over so for me realistically it will be tough to win 10 games next season based on this season. Any finals talk I reckon or that it is a shoe in that will win 10-12 games are having high expectations.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2014, 11:49 PM
So season 2014 is over so for me realistically it will be tough to win 10 games next season based on this season. Any finals talk I reckon or that it is a shoe in that will win 10-12 games are having high expectations.

Never make predictions on the next year a few hours after a bad loss Eastie.

There's free agency in and out father sons, trades, drafts and development. See if you can use the university research skills to look into our 1996 and 1997. This is the best part of the year because we need to have hope. Maybe not a flag but Richmond this year went from 18th to finals in one year. No list changes, no different players. Something's just click, ethic, application, belief and momentum.

Eastdog
31-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Never make predictions on the next year a few hours after a bad loss Eastie.

There's free agency in and out father sons, trades, drafts and development. See if you can use the university research skills to look into our 1996 and 1997. This is the best part of the year because we need to have hope. Maybe not a flag but Richmond this year went from 18th to finals in one year. No list changes, no different players. Something's just click, ethic, application, belief and momentum.

Yep fair point BT. Still a long way to go till next year.

Dry Rot
31-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Short of some miracle trades, we'll finish bottom 3 in 2015.

PedroArvy
01-09-2014, 12:01 AM
I was very hopeful at the beginning of the season. After last year's strong finish and the extra pre-season for the younger brigade I thought it was certain we would be better this year than last. But it didn't happen. The players that were meant to get better (in particular Jonas, Grant, Campbell, Redpath, JJ other back line players) didn't. So why would they get better next year?

It's quite depressing really.

F'scary
01-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Short of some miracle trades, we'll finish bottom 3 in 2015.

! I expressed a similar thought in reply to you on another thread ! 2015: 18, 17, 16 - StK, Dees, WB.

Our player deficiencies are so great, it will take years to improve our ladder position. Our game plan also needs to be completely overhauled but probably the state of the cattle is such that the numbers around the ball style is about the best we can do - but I am not sure Macca has any other approach to shaping the team's playing style.

Eastdog
10-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Ill be going in myself in 2015 based on the events of the last few days and this season with low expectation. If we don't do well I won't be as disappointed.

whythelongface
10-10-2014, 09:44 PM
I no longer have any expectations when it comes to the WBFC. I get let down too often by them.

ledge
10-10-2014, 09:53 PM
I think we will win more games than this year why ? New coach brings new Energy and just because a coach goes doesn't mean our young guns won't continue to improve, they all might even play a lot better game if they weren't happy with the old coach.

F'scary
10-10-2014, 10:10 PM
We are going to have a bunch of draft picks, probably 2 top tens, either 2 in the 20's + a young GWS KPF or 3 picks in the 20's. Plus Cordy, Z for a steal at 60-something. Plus pick 43ish. And that is before the Cooney, Tutt & Jones issues are resolved. Looks like we'll be playing a lot of kids. It will be a development year but a very interesting one.

If the best offers for Jones & Tutt are low 40's and low 60's, I wonder if they would reconsider staying now that so much has happened?

Eastdog
22-10-2014, 05:02 PM
We shouldn't have too many expectations on Tom Boyd early in his career despite him getting a big pay packet. He still is developing which is the natural way to go.

F'scary
22-10-2014, 08:37 PM
What a difference a couple of weeks makes! I am now feeling much more positive about 2015.

I think Higgins' loss can be covered. I think that Cooney was in all truth not making that much of a difference last year, bar a few games. Williams, Jones & Tutt won't be missed. Gia, being honest, had played one season too long. Three list cloggers have gone too. Yes, Griffen is a massive loss but we've got ourselves the right compensation in Boyd (great move PG & co!). We've scored Z Cordy really cheaply. We got a young guy pretty much for nothing from Sydney who has already been selected for two finals in his short career to date. We have 5 picks under 50 still. A new coach will bring a new style of play...just so much to look forward to!:)

mighty_west
22-10-2014, 10:11 PM
My expectations : 9-11 wins

As we know our midfield has been cut down to size with the departures of Cooney, Higgins and especially Griffen so id expect the likes of Liberatore and Macrae to find it alot tougher given more attention from the taggers.

That said, I expect Stringer to find more time in the middle, Jong too given his VFL finals series and hopefully Smith comes back bigger and stronger so expect a different dynamic in the centre, and a even harder edge, I'm tipping Wallis to have a breakout season along with Grant up forward.

The forward line should now be well structured and I'm hoping Roughead plays his natural game and not only help out Boyd but give opposition coaches headaches with two 200cm forwards to contend with, as well as Crameri with Stringer and Bontempelli rotating between the middle and up forward, Roughy also gives Minson a chop out in the ruck, this should structure us up well but also have enough variations to keep the opposition guessing.

The backline is the tough one, but Talia showed great signs on his first season, he just has to play, Roberts and I also like the idea of Redpath down back, Roughy also to have that ability to help cover the defense whilst around the ground, he becomes an even more important player and let's hope his shoulders hold up.

I'm not expecting miracles from Tom Boyd but he does automatically fix our structure with match up's.

Twodogs
23-10-2014, 12:27 AM
I've never been a Roughead to the forward line believer but with Boyd now in attack I'd really like to sow how opposition defenders would cope with two 200 cm options. It might be fun.

LostDoggy
23-10-2014, 12:33 AM
We need to have high expectations, and we need to, as an entire club, learn to deal with that. If we fall short, so be it, but shoot for the sky gentlemen.

bulldogtragic
23-10-2014, 12:37 AM
I've never been a Roughead to the forward line believer but with Boyd now in attack I'd really like to sow how opposition defenders would cope with two 200 cm options. It might be fun.

With rotations, Stew Crameri could be one of the smaller players. Boyd, Roughie, Grant & Stringer bigger. But then the media reporting of Bulldogs over compensating and are now too tall stuff starts... Two 200cm big guys deep, a roving crumber like Dahl or Hunter and Grant, Stringer & Stew rotating through CHF and lead up work. That's pretty exciting stuff. Also with those guys forward I'd allow Minson not to worry about rucking forward 50m to cut some work down as well as more rest with Roughie second ruck. Hopefully that helps Will get back to a higher level. Flow on benefits to the team.

LostDoggy
23-10-2014, 01:21 AM
All depends how Talia and Fletcher come on as it will have a massive impact on our flexibility down back. If 1 has a strong preseason and develops to a medium-high standard we will go forward. Both and it could be quick. Morris was our lone tall back at times last year which was a very bad joke. A fit and uninjured Roughy with an in-form Talia lets Morris play 3rd tall. It'll take 10 years off him :). It also means poor bloody Easton Wood isn't playing 3rd tall....(seriously WTH were we doing last year??). This has far more impact on next year than our forwards I suspect.

I also think we are now 1 high caliber midfielder away from mixing it with most teams in the guts. Libba needs to learn how to play through the tag and learn it fast. That's what that other weak willed wanderer costs us as he was good at it. Getting Wallis back will help but we can't afford to lose another warrior early with smith out for so long. I'm excited about the year with zero expectations as it could do anything and I'll be ok with whatever comes after the trade period we've all sweated our way through!

Remi Moses
23-10-2014, 01:30 AM
I'd be staggered if we won 9 to 11 games( pleasantly so)
That much experience out the door in most cases ( regardless of their form and future prospects) usually means a drop or a plateau
Having said that, the changes fill me with more optimism than was previously the case.

Templeton31
23-10-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm excited about next year thanks to one T.Boyd however just had my excitement tempered.

Watched the last quarter of round 4 win over GWS from this year when we ran over the top of them. Goal kickers in the last quarter in order were Griffen, Crameri, Jones, Jones, Tutt & Higgins. The two Jones goals put us in front and the Tutt one sealed it - Tutts was a ripper on the run from 60m. I'd say best in last quarter were Griffen & Higgins. Cooney influenced things including two ripper tackles and GWS forwards Patton and Cameron, who killed us in 1st half, were brilliantly beaten in last quarter by Tom Young & Tom Williams respectively. Oh Macca looked quietly stoked in the coaches box too. Are you sensing a theme here? A lot of change in this off season with the loss of a lot of experience and quality. Dampened my expectations a bit.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-10-2014, 11:01 PM
5 wins is about my expectation.

Some more pain before some long term gain. If we draft well, we should shoot up the ladder relatively quickly, but not next year.

bulldogtragic
23-10-2014, 11:07 PM

Some more pain before some long term gain. If we draft well, we should shoot up the ladder relatively quickly, but not next year.

I think this is close. All our pups getting hard tags each week, undersized backline, young forwards, really young list. It's nice to dream which is good to get through the off season, but long term looks great. I wouldn't be banking on too much, but a top 5 pick next year and all out assault on GCS and GWS talent together with free agency holds good thinking.

boydogs
23-10-2014, 11:39 PM
I'm thinking 10 wins, with a lot of our kids taking the next step. The 2012 draftees are about to start their 3rd preseason, which is when a lot of players start to hit their straps at AFL level. Talia & Roberts should be ready, Roughead, Libba & Wallis are entering their prime. Our kids took the reigns in the second half of last year and still have a lot of improvement in them, young sides improve quickly.

lemmon
23-10-2014, 11:47 PM
5 or 6 wins for mine, I just can't see our kids developing or adopting a game plan quick enough to really shoot up the ladder next year. Libba must learn to cope with a tag and the guys in the Roughy/Wallis/Wood/Dahl/Stevens must genuinely step up and go from promising to consistent high level performers. There is also that problem at CHB and FB...

KT31
24-10-2014, 01:18 AM

This would be quite unreasonable for me as we should, even with the major departures from our list be expecting to be around at least eight or nine wins.
We won seven this year and really bar Higgins the other major losses in Cooney, Griff played bit parts.
With the improvement of the kids and without any expectation on on Boyd I believe we will end up a game or two out of the eight.
Nine wins with me being conservative, I really believe if we have a game against the Blues, two against the Saints, two against Melbourne, beat Brisbane one out of two, one against GWS, One against Suns and one surprise win we will be on target.
This is not taking on Essendon who I think will slide and also Richmond who we seem to always do well against.

Remi Moses
24-10-2014, 01:44 AM
I think there's some on here going to be disappointed.
You just can't wipe out that many games and expect to have an instant improvement .
Love to be wrong though.
The young guys will start well, but a long season finds them out .
In 2011 we lost a lot of experience and although a few of those were virtually non contributors, it did effect our season.

KT31
24-10-2014, 01:58 AM
I think there's some on here going to be disappointed.
You just can't wipe out that many games and expect to have an instant improvement .
Love to be wrong though.
The young guys will start well, but a long season finds them out .
In 2011 we lost a lot of experience and although a few of those were virtually non contributors, it did effect our season.
Minson will step up and have Ayce to help out, Griff, Cooney bit parts, Jones won us a game really we have not gone backward so a realistic expectation would be to end up on par to last season.
PS we may also have a game plan so add in a game or two.

Remi Moses
24-10-2014, 02:45 AM
Bit tough on Griffen ( played injured all year)
Libba will cop a tag weekly now ( good for his development) young players can take years to learn to shake a tag.
It's the experience regardless of their consistent output that hurts, in particular as the season goes on.
I hope I'm wrong though

Webby
24-10-2014, 08:33 AM
I think Melbourne, Brisbane and GWS will go past us next year. We're a strong possibility for second last. 5 to 7 wins is my expectation, but with a smile on my face as the future is getting brighter. Only 2 years to go on the rebuild and 2016 will see ~10 wins. 2017 is the beginning of 6-7 years of finals footy.

LostDoggy
24-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I think Melbourne, Brisbane and GWS will go past us next year. We're a strong possibility for second last. 5 to 7 wins is my expectation, but with a smile on my face as the future is getting brighter. Only 2 years to go on the rebuild and 2016 will see ~10 wins. 2017 is the beginning of 6-7 years of finals footy.

Webby, why do you think Melbourne will go past us?

mighty_west
24-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I'd be staggered if we won 9 to 11 games( pleasantly so)
That much experience out the door in most cases ( regardless of their form and future prospects) usually means a drop or a plateau
Having said that, the changes fill me with more optimism than was previously the case.

Aim high....that said whether the team is in Finals mode or down developing always disappointed after every loss.

I do think with a new coach and decent structure the team may surprise a few.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2014, 12:51 PM

While you may be right in the end, many posters have been saying this since about 2011 and they still are absolutely terrible.

Remi Moses
25-10-2014, 02:08 AM
Aim high....that said whether the team is in Finals mode or down developing always disappointed after every loss.

I do think with a new coach and decent structure the team may surprise a few.

More realism than anything

Twodogs
25-10-2014, 02:11 AM
Pleasently staggered would be good. Pleasently stunned would be better.

Bulldog Revolution
25-10-2014, 08:24 AM
My expectations are that we will see big improvement

I don't know whether that will translate into wins and losses

Ive been watching the tapes and its impossible not to see enormous upside in Stringer, Hrovat, Hunter, Bontompelli, Macrae etc who provided so much promise in 2014, but also an injury free Roughie, blue chop recruit Boyd and a hopefully maturing group of Campbell, Wallis, Stevens, and Wood.

Bring on the draft and the appointment of a coach

LostDoggy
26-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I think we'll claim a few scalps, lose a few we should've won and generally finish the same. If we come out firing at the start of the year, as I think we will with our young talent, a new coach and gameplan, and the factor of young men with a point to prove, we then have to manage the mental side: making sure the young guys don't get ahead of themselves, play it steady and if we start to rise, well and good. I'm not really fussed. I hate losing but if we're improving I'm happy. I actually enjoyed much of 2014, the fans were howling but I saw so much improvement in guys like Stringer, Bonti, etc, that I have 2014 pegged down as a successful year.

1eyedog
26-10-2014, 10:00 PM
5-6 wins. You don't just bring in a new coach and game plan and win 10 games of footy. Our constraint next season is less about how many games our kids have played and more about how our new coach wants us to play and this will take time.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 10:21 PM

Nothing quite like hope.

ledge
06-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Just reading back, isn't it amazing how us football followers for years and so called arm chair experts have got this wrong more than right.
I expected around 8 or 9 spot so I'm not too far off the mark, it feels so good at the moment, lets see how the rest pans out, last two weeks we have won but looks like we are either being found out or tired.
If its just a lull and we are winning having bad days we will make finals.

Eastdog
07-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Very important for 2016 that will keep our expectations in house.

LostDoggy
07-01-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm expecting that we'll finish 4th-8th, top 4 would be great but as a minimum, equal or greater amount of win's as 2015 but with a much improved percentage. At least 1 final's win and hopefully 3 :)

I personally find it hard to, but we need to remove the negativity from our mind's and take a Jean Claude Van Damme approach to future seasons, No Retreat, No Surrender.

1eyedog
07-01-2016, 09:27 PM
I'm expecting that we'll finish 4th-8th, top 4 would be great but as a minimum, equal or greater amount of win's as 2015 but with a much improved percentage. At least 1 final's win and hopefully 3 :)

I personally find it hard to, but we need to remove the negativity from our mind's and take a Jean Claude Van Damme approach to future seasons, No Retreat, No Surrender.

Drove through Hamilton today on my way to Heywood. Know many other Bulldogs in Hamilton Typhon?

LostDoggy
07-01-2016, 10:15 PM
1eyedog, I know more WestCoast supporter's then Doggie's fan's :(

But then, I'm a pretty unsociable kind of guy :)

I do know a couple of guy's who played footy with Liam Picken tho :)

Eastdog
08-01-2016, 12:50 AM

Yes I like that thinking Typhon. I just hope we don't have too many injuries next year and in the pre season.