PDA

View Full Version : 2014 in Review

FrediKanoute
31-08-2014, 09:10 PM
So that's 2014 done and dusted. all in all if you based an assessment on simply games won and lost you would be disappointed with season 2014. We won less games than in 2013, we lost to GWS, percentage was lower, we scored 200 points less than in 2013.......it doesn't look like we progressed.

Let me premise this by saying I am disappointed. I had expectations of us challenging for the 8, falling short, but carrying on the form from the last part of last season. However, I think in many ways we have really seen a changing of the guard this season with more contributions for longer from the guys that we really need to be contributing.

Our average losing margin this year was 33.5 points. We lost 5 games by less than 2 goals, and 6 games by less than 3. You would argue that in those games we had a chance to win, but blew it (either through mistakes, inexperience or fatigue). We lost 4 games this year by more than 10 goals, 3 of these losses were to teams in the top 8 and 2 were top 4 opposition. Compare this to 2013 and the numbers are 36.64 losing margin; 2 games lost by less than 2 goals and 3 games by 10 goals or more - 2 x against Richmond and 1 x v WCE.

Based on this I would say as a team we haven't moved significantly forward, but in general we were in more games longer in 2014, with a real chance to win more games than we actually did. If we had converted 3 of the 6 games we lost by 3 goals or less we would have finished where I believed w would have at the start o fthe season.

What gives me optimism (lets face it as a WB fan its often all you have!) is the way in which our younger guys have emerged to really take charge and contribute. Stringer's last half of the season has been superb, Macrae started the year on fire. Bont's has given us a glimpse of his prodigious talent, Libba has consolidated himself as a A grade midfielder, Dahl has shown the capacity to play more than just a crumbing forward role. These are 5 guys you can build a team around.

Supporter by Hunter, Johannessen, Wallis, Hrovat, Tutt (yes I believe he has a future), Honeychurch and Smith (if he gets his body right) we have a small to med brigade that can take us forward.

The problems though haven't gone away. Our backline is disappointing. Morris/Murphy is the glue and its fair to say they only have a season or two left. Our forward line until Stringer emerged is woeful, unable to impose itself, inconsistent with too much being asked of too few. Jones and Grant had forgettable seasons and one has to question as to whether the break out year will ever occur. Roughhead carried injuries, Talia went backwards and Austin is an honest trier...nothing more. If there was any doubt the impact someone like a Frawley could have it should be cast aside.

To me season 2014 is more positive than 2013 if only because the development of our younger guys appears on track (too late perhaps for Grant and Jones), and their ability to impact games for longer was demonstrated, but in my mind we are still 3 years off being a genuine finals force and we wont get there unless we are prepared to play hardball in the trade period.

Hotdog60
31-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Good analysis FrediKanoute,

We do have some dead wait at the club and some of these players were most likely recruited to fill a void until the younger guys came on. We will still need to keep some of them or we may step back on our progress.
As it has been mentioned in other threads our back line is a worry. Murphy and Morris could decline very quickly and we have no one that can replace them at the moment. Roughy may not hold together for a season as his shoulder looks to be a consistent problem.

F'scary
31-08-2014, 09:46 PM
I went today and I am very upset so I better watch what I say. But here goes.

I am upset not just with tonight but the whole season because the game style Macca has pursued, namely numbers around the ball, has led to an over possessing style of game where our players just mill in and are almost always disposing of the ball under pressure. They just don't seem to know how to move the ball upfield with any real alacrity.

Maybe the game style is what you do when you have too many players who just don't have the skills to dispose of the ball with any vision or penetration.

Got to change the toddler's nappy - probably better I stop anyway for the moment.

F'scary
31-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Ok, now I will continue...

Our inaccuracy around goal reflects our general lack of kicking skills around the ground.

That's enough, I need a drink.

Remi Moses
01-09-2014, 02:32 AM

I am upset not just with tonight but the whole season because the game style Macca has pursued, namely numbers around the ball, has led to an over possessing style of game where our players just mill in and are almost always disposing of the ball under pressure. They just don't seem to know how to move the ball upfield with any real alacrity.

Maybe the game style is what you do when you have too many players who just don't have the skills to dispose of the ball with any vision or penetration.

Got to change the toddler's nappy - probably better I stop anyway for the moment.
This is a good summation . We get flogged on the counter because we turn it over in the stoppage.
Isn't it time we had one less in the stoppage and played a loose back ?
How many times did the game resemble a soccer match with GWS swarming forward in space.
I found it alarming

westdog54
01-09-2014, 06:09 PM

No, I think you're on to something. It's a combination of a game plan to cater for a list with glaring deficiencies and massive setup problems from the players. I'll post something more in depth a bit later but the executive summary is simple: we need to get better as a club.

bornadog
02-09-2014, 05:34 PM
The Wash-Up: Western Bulldogs

Ryan Davidson September 2, 2014 7:00 AM

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/335272-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
Marcus Bontempelli's incredible season could finish with a Rising Star gong

Snapshot
While the Dogs finished with one win less (seven) and a lower percentage than in 2013, they did finish a spot higher in 14th, so the season can be considered one of improvement. The Dogs have been in games longer and restricted the amount of thrashings, but they haven't been able to eradicate costly lapses during games. The emergence of youngsters like Marcus Bontempelli, Luke Dahlhaus, Jack Macrae and Jake Stringer have provided plenty of hope.

The coach
Brendan McCartney came under fire midway through the season for his team's lack of progress after promising finish to 2013. His consistent narrative of patience wore thin but the pressure subsided with a spike in the team's form lead by an impressive group of kids. McCartney is contracted for a further two seasons but a similar result next season will bring fierce pressure.

What worked
-Midfield: With skipper Ryan Griffen having an indifferent season, the club's impressive band of young midfielders stood up. Macrae and Dahlhaus took their games to the next level while Tom Liberatore established himself as one of the game's elite inside midfielders.

-The recruitment of Stewart Crameri: Lured from the Bombers to help with a shortage of firepower up forward, the 26-year-old paid his way by leading the goalkicking with 37. His arrival also helped with the emergence of Jake Stringer.

-Own VFL team: After enduring several frustrating years aligned with Williamstown, the Footscray team has given the club the freedom to develop players as they see fit. The side finished the home and away season second on the ladder and produced AFL-ready players like Bontempelli and Mitch Honeychurch. It has also brought footy back to the Whitten Oval.

What failed
-Key defenders: Jordan Roughead and Michael Talia loomed as the men to hold down those critical positions for the next decade but Talia has spent the majority of the year in the VFL while Roughead battled injury and inconsistency. Mark Austin was upgraded from the rookie list and struggled.

-Key forwards: Liam Jones and rookie Jack Redpath were both tried at different times during the season but neither took their ample opportunities. Tom Campbell offers presence and a contest but is better suited to the ruck.

-Lack of run: Run and carry and spread from the contest continues to be a problem. Playmakers Adam Cooney and Shaun Higgins had average seasons while Jason Tutt failed to cement a spot in a team crying out for speed.

MVP
Tom Liberatore had another stellar season, leading the League in clearances and tackles and was fourth in contested possessions, making him a strong contender to receive his first All Australian jumper.

Tom Liberatore has become one of the best inside midfielders in the competition. Picture: AFL Media
http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/littlelibbera.jpg

Surprise packet
He may have played only three games but Mitch Honeychurch looms as one of the bargains of the 2013 NAB AFL Draft. Selected at pick 60, the tough midfielder impressed with his attack on the ball and his nose for a goal.

Best rookie/first-year player
Marcus Bontempelli is the raging hot favourite for Wednesday's NAB AFL Rising Star award (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-27/who-will-be-this-years-rising-star) and it's not hard to see why after his impressive debut season. The classy 18-year-old, who is one of the youngest players in the competition, is averaging 15 touches and nearly a goal a game. A rare talent who makes things happen.
Disappointment
Michael Talia started 2014 as one of the up and coming key defenders of the competition after nine impressive games in 2013. But the Rising Star nominee's career has stalled after playing only three games this season.

Best win
The eight-point win over Collingwood in round 13 at Etihad Stadium. (http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/13/coll-v-wb) After a disappointing loss to the Brisbane Lions at home the previous week, the Dogs weren't expected to challenge the then in-form Magpies. But despite losing Adam Cooney to injury in the first quarter, the Dogs played some of their best footy of the season to stun the Pies.

Low point
Home losses to fellow strugglers the Lions (round 12) and an understrength GWS (round 23) (http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/23/wb-v-gws) were particularly hard to stomach for the red, white and blue faithful. Clay Smith requiring a second knee reconstruction within 12 months (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-22/smiths-acl-fears-realised)also hurt.

What needs to improve?
The Bulldogs simply need to win more games with the talent on their list. If they can address the lack of outside run, unearth a key forward and eliminate costly lapses, this won't be such a problem in 2015.

Who's done?
Retirements: Daniel Giansiracusa has called time on his impressive career while injuries finally caught up with Tom Williams.

Delistings? First round pick Christian Howard's time at Whitten Oval looks over after he played only two games in 2014. Tom Young, Brett Goodes, Daniel Pearce, Matt Fuller and Jason Tutt should all be nervous too. Third-year rookies Mark Austin, Jack Redpath, Lin Jong and Alex Greenwood need to be upgraded or delisted, with Jong the only one likely to be retained.

Trades/free agents
Shaun Higgins may have played his last game for the Dogs (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-26/no-decision-from-higgins-yet), with the restricted free agent likely to seek a fresh start at a rival club. Forwards Liam Jones and Jarrad Grant may have run out of chances and could attract interest at the trade table.

What they need
The Dogs badly need a consistent, strong-marking key forward that kicks goals. Geelong Falcons star Patrick McCartin could be the man if they can trade into the first few picks in the draft. A classy outside runner wouldn't go astray either. Key position father/son prospects Zaine Cordy and Jayden Foster will be handy additions.

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs
Link: h (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-02/washup-bulldogs)ere

Mantis
02-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Report card for AFL teams that didn't make the grade

Rohan Connolly

WESTERN BULLDOGS
(14th: 7 wins 15 losses)
Rating 3/10

For a side that more optimistic observers were touting as an outside finals chance pre-season, the Bulldogs' much-vaunted potential failed to be translated into results.

The highlights were few and far between; a round-13 victory over Collingwood the pick, a win over Gold Coast in Cairns also handy, yet both failed to deliver the boost to momentum or performance you might have expected.

The Dogs consistently pulled up well short of the best sides, ending with a dismal record of 1-9 in games against top-eight teams.

Of long-term concern for coach Brendan McCartney would be the decline of his team for contested ball, the Bulldogs ranking only ninth on the differentials compared with its No.1 ranking in 2013. Their ball use was also poor, ranked 16th for kicking efficiency.

The Bulldogs still have a major issue that has plagued them for years, the lack of quality tall forwards. The shorter Essendon recruit Stewart Crameri was never really going to fill that breach, though he did end up winning the goalkicking, another medium-sizer in Jake Stringer the only other Bulldog to finish with more than 17 goals.

Potential Rising Star winner Marcus Bontempelli was an obvious bright spot, but the Dogs are going to need a few more of them if they're to start climbing the ladder.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/report-card-for-afl-teams-that-didnt-make-the-grade-20140901-10b5tk.html#ixzz3C8ugfCjN

--------

We received the lowest ranking of all teams... Which isn't far off the mark given we had greater expectations than the teams that finished below us.

azabob
02-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Every other club got a higher rating than us. How do saints and Melbourne get fours?

I know it's a meaningless article, but I found that very odd?

GVGjr
02-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Every other club got a higher rating than us. How do saints and Melbourne get fours?

I think the answer is that they both finished in line with expectations and we didn't get as many wins as last year.
The article might be meaningless but it's looking a bit deeper than just the ladder positions.

wimberga
02-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Your absolutely right - if we beat GWS in last round this, and every other article that has been written recently, would be vastly different.

Greystache
02-09-2014, 07:40 PM
I think the answer is that they both finished in line with expectations and we didn't get as many wins as last year.
The article might be meaningless but it's looking a bit deeper than just the ladder positions.

Then what is the explanation for Carlton? Surely expectations were far higher than ours and they won the same number of games.

Connelly's just not much of a journalist and is a prime example of a week to week reactionary.

The Doctor
02-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Time to Harden Up

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-02/time-to-harden-up-bulldogs

GVGjr
02-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Time to Harden Up

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-02/time-to-harden-up-bulldogs

Lyon telling anyone to harden up is a bit rich but it's worth a listen.

PedroArvy
03-09-2014, 12:10 AM
The wash up has us stagnating or dropping. I have to say I agree. Can't see the back line getting better with our ageing stalwarts and the "big forward" seems like a pipe dream. Hope I am wrong.

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 05:37 AM

Glad someone picked up this article
I like Rohan Connolly as a rule, but his pieces since the Crameri defection have sounded bitter to me.
He has somehow given Caaarlton ( the team ready to challenge, crossed the rubicon ) a 4 and we got a 3 !!
Rohan couldn't understand pre-season why pundits thought we could push for the eight.Nobody I saw had us in the eight.

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 05:40 AM
Then what is the explanation for Carlton? Surely expectations were far higher than ours and they won the same number of games.

Connelly's just not much of a journalist and is a prime example of a week to week reactionary.

He's become the modern day Mike Sheehan .
Would have thought The youngsters besides Bonts were pretty good as well.
Not denying we've disappointed

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 05:43 AM
Fair summation from Lyon and Barrett for me.
We may stagnate or drop ( although I don't see us finishing below Stkilda, Brissie, Dees .
You could nearly throw Carlton in there as well for me.

bornadog
03-09-2014, 10:20 AM
I think 2014 is just below what I expected. I was looking for about 10 wins and we fell short by three. We had several games losing to Essendon twice by 8 and 7 points, GWS by 6, Brisbane by 7 and Adelaide by 9, and on the other hand beat Richmond by 2, and Melbourne by 6. We could easily have won another three of the close ones. (or lost the other two close ones)

Overall, we have been more competitive and we have got more games into the 2011 to 2013 recruits. There is still a worry of lapses in games and our lack of competitiveness against the top 4 teams.

I am looking forward to next year and think we should be nudging the 8.

2015 Prediction - 12 wins and eighth. :)

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 07:31 PM
I think 2014 is just below what I expected. I was looking for about 10 wins and we fell short by three. We had several games losing to Essendon twice by 8 and 7 points, GWS by 6, Brisbane by 7 and Adelaide by 9, and on the other hand beat Richmond by 2, and Melbourne by 6. We could easily have won another three of the close ones. (or lost the other two close ones)

Overall, we have been more competitive and we have got more games into the 2011 to 2013 recruits. There is still a worry of lapses in games and our lack of competitiveness against the top 4 teams.

I wouldn't think so. Love it to happen, but it won't

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 11:37 AM

Unless something significant happens at the trade table and over pre season - I can see us being in the bottom 2-3 for the next few years. Our backline is deplorable and will get considerably worse when Murph and Dale move on.

F'scary
05-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Sorry BAD, I can see about 6 of our list improving or continuing to improve dramatically next year and about another 25 who won't be doing much different to this year. We are at a plateau - that's why Macca's stated 5 changes, 2 of which will be rookie upgrades bothers me so much.