PDA

View Full Version : Boyd Re-Signs

boydogs
03-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Good decision IMO

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-03/boyd-to-bark-on

ledge
03-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Well that puts to rest the previous story doing the rounds I heard.

F'scary
03-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Shame about his lack of disposal skills. He'd win a Brownlow if he could hit a target at 10 paces.

Maddog37
03-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Hope he has an injury free preseason.

AndrewP6
03-09-2014, 09:25 PM
The geniuses on Facebook will have nothing to do now! Stories have been all over it today that he had "walked out on the club". Good on him. I'm a critic of his poor disposal but he's given everything he has to the club.

chef
03-09-2014, 09:36 PM
good news.

Webby
03-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Must've been via a slip of the tongue by McCartney in which he referred to the need to build our midfield due to Cross and Boyd finishing up.. What he clearly meant was "being in their latter years".

I think that sparked it. I thought Boyd had signed on the week after Smith did his knee. For me, that made it a no-brainer. Had Smith come through 2014 unscathed, it'd have been a 50/50 IMO.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm not sold, I love what he's given of himself and to our club, but this is one such time where I want him and the club to prove me very wrong.

azabob
03-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Must've been via a slip of the tongue by McCartney in which he referred to the need to build our midfield due to Cross and Boyd finishing up.. What he clearly meant was "being in their latter years".

I think that sparked it. I thought Boyd had signed on the week after Smith did his knee. For me, that made it a no-brainer. Had Smith come through 2014 unscathed, it'd have been a 50/50 IMO.

When was this slip of the tongue?

The Boyd walk out rumours have been circulating for a couple of days.

azabob
03-09-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm not sold, I love what he's given of himself and to our club, but this is one such time where I want him and the club to prove me very wrong.

I'm not sold either, but earlier this year we offered him a contract, therefore we need to honour it.

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure why we did this.
We won't be challenging for the eight, and we have Boyd's spot in spades.
Where does that leave Wallis, Jong and the like?
Another ordinary ball user in the side
Funny how Stkilda don't have an issue getting rid of players yet we do?

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm not sold either, but earlier this year we offered him a contract, therefore we need to honour it.

On the flip side we've offered Shaun Higgins a new contract, yet he's wiling to go.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2014, 10:09 PM

Thanks Az. I'm not sure if I missed that or suppressed it.

I think we over estimated our list last year. If we do it again this year we will be regretting it in years to come...

azabob
03-09-2014, 10:26 PM

I think we over estimated our list last year. If we do it again this year we will be regretting it in years to come...

Seems to be an ongoing trend of over estimating the list.

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 10:29 PM

Agree, and we'll possibly have Boyd, Murphy, Morris , Will ? Cooney? retire at once !!
Fair bit of experience leaving the footy club at once.
Not good list management IMHO.

KT31
03-09-2014, 10:30 PM

If we have minimal delistings like Macca has indicated, it wont take years to come for us to regret the decision.

The Doctor
03-09-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm not sure why we did this.
We won't be challenging for the eight, and we have Boyd's spot in spades.
Where does that leave Wallis, Jong and the like?
Another ordinary ball user in the side
Funny how Stkilda don't have an issue getting rid of players yet we do?

I'm with you on this issue

Father time has caught up.

Webby
03-09-2014, 10:37 PM
When was this slip of the tongue?

The Boyd walk out rumours have been circulating for a couple of days.

It was on SEN. Still available on website. Either today or yesterday.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2014, 11:13 PM
If we have minimal delistings like Macca has indicated, it wont take years to come for us to regret the decision.

Macca would be the main one regretting it in the shorter term. If we do bugger all again and we get nowhere by round 15 or so, I'd expect him to be terminated. In the longer term the club and we the members are the ones lamenting another failed tilt because of poor management. Last year the defence to not cutting deep was the draft was shallow, and now everyone is saying it's the best and deepest draft in years. And last year Minson, Grant and others held value. If we do minimum changes, I will be rather upset.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Weak.

He should have been retired or allowed to go elsewhere given the demographics of our list, our current situation and his own form and impact on the team.

I'm sure he'll still contribute at times next season, but that's besides the point. Not good list management having a host of senior players leave at once (Boyd, Murphy, Morris and maybe Cooney all in a short time frame).

SonofScray
03-09-2014, 11:43 PM
I thought this year would be a good chance to move Boyd on, with all due respect and acknowledging he could still play good football elsewhere. He has been a good Clubman and extremely professional athlete with us but for list management purposes and to get more diversity into our midfield I thought we'd start looking at Wally, Smith, Stevens, Jong (?) as the go to players in that position and open up a spot for a long term, highly skilled outside mid in the draft.

Dogmatic
04-09-2014, 05:26 PM
i would have preferred he didn't stay to be honest. We have good depth in the midfield and he kicks at about 50% efficiency. We need to retire at least two older blokes this season.

Greystache
04-09-2014, 05:28 PM
At least a year too long IMO. We struggle to let go of our veterans as a club.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-09-2014, 05:41 PM
At least a year too long IMO. We struggle to let go of our veterans as a club.

We make the same mistakes over and over again. Frustrating.

Mantis
04-09-2014, 06:15 PM
We make the same mistakes over and over again. Frustrating.

We do, but there aren't too many teams that are ruthless when it comes to calling time on their veterans.

I would think (hope) that Boyd isn't a walk up start next year, such that if a few others improve he will have a season much like RO'K.

Remi Moses
04-09-2014, 06:26 PM

I think Smith's injury was the trigger.
Not a great exit strategy having so many exit once.

GVGjr
04-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Weak.

He should have been retired or allowed to go elsewhere given the demographics of our list, our current situation and his own form and impact on the team.

I'm sure he'll still contribute at times next season, but that's besides the point. Not good list management having a host of senior players leave at once (Boyd, Murphy, Morris and maybe Cooney all in a short time frame).

His form warrants another season so from that point of view I'm not concerned. I doubt there has been any guarantees in terms of senior games so if our youngsters can't force him out then playing him is okay.

I'll wait until see if he is picked on his merit next season before deciding if the decision was a good one or not.

LostDoggy
04-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Just because he's got a contract doesn't mean he'll play. If there's players banging on the door for the midfield and he's not performing then he shouldn't play. Which young, uninjured midfielder would currently be a walk up start to take his place?

Remi Moses
04-09-2014, 07:42 PM
His form warrants another season so from that point of view I'm not concerned. I doubt there has been any guarantees in terms of senior games so if our youngsters can't force him out then playing him is okay.

I'll wait until see if he is picked on his merit next season before deciding if the decision was a good one or not.

No doubting on current form he is worth keeping .
The issue is however List management, and how the club handles 4 to 5 experienced players exiting at once.

chef
04-09-2014, 07:49 PM
The issue is however List management, and how the club handles 4 to 5 experienced players exiting at once.

Murphy, Morris, Boyd and Cooney aren't all going to go at once IMO.

We've lost Gia this season and you would think the club would be trying to space the others over the next couple of seasons(maybe even 3). Not a huge concern IMO.

GVGjr
04-09-2014, 08:10 PM

That's certainly a consideration however, it's only an issue if we think he needs to be played 18 plus games next season or if he is blocking better performed players from getting a spot in the senior side.
The challenge is in front of the likes of Hunter, Honeychurch or Hrovat to jump ahead of him. I don't believe Giansiracusa blocked anyone's progress this year and I think Boyd will be used when required and if his form is good enough.

boydogs
04-09-2014, 08:13 PM

We've lost Gia this season and you would think the club would be trying to space the others over the next couple of seasons(maybe even 3). Not a huge concern IMO.

Williams and presumably Goodes are going too. I would still be looking to trade Minson or Cooney

Remi Moses
04-09-2014, 08:20 PM

You couldn't unequivocally say that won't happen though.

Remi Moses
04-09-2014, 08:27 PM
That's certainly a consideration it's only an issue if we think he needs to be played 18 plus games next season or if he is blocking better performed players from getting a spot in the senior side.
The challenge is in front of the likes of Hunter, Honeychurch or Hrovat to jump ahead of him. I don't believe Giansiracusa blocked anyone's progress this year and I think Boyd will be used when required and if his form is good enough.

The club should be backing those players in to take Boyd's spot.
Of course he'll hold his spot, as his form is currently worthwhile, but the club constantly talks " the long game" yet is to conservative and careful with its list management .

chef
04-09-2014, 08:28 PM
You couldn't unequivocally say that won't happen though.

Yeah you can't, but I don't think they will and anyway as long as we've got decent talent coming up and putting pressure on the old guys we should be fine. Murphy's going to leave the biggest hole which will be hardest to fill but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play at least another couple of seasons.

Remi Moses
04-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Yeah you can't, but I don't think they will and anyway as long as we've got decent talent coming up and putting pressure on the old guys we should be fine. Murphy's going to leave the biggest hole which will be hardest to fill but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play at least another couple of seasons.

Agree chef Murphy could play another two, but the cliff can come pretty quickly at their age.
McCartney should be backing our kids in, and the baton should be passed .

Mantis
04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Agree chef Murphy could play another two, but the cliff can come pretty quickly at their age.
McCartney should be backing our kids in, and the baton should be passed .

Issue is that we don't have players on our list who can fill the roles of Murphy & Morris... Boyd is less of an issue.

LostDoggy
04-09-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm happy to keep Boyd on. He's playing well, he's a leader and he adds depth to our list. The club made a tough (correct IMO) decision with Crossy last year, and moved on Lake before that so they have made some gains in terms of our overall list management.

As others have said, just because he's on the list doesn't mean he has to play every game...he may even become the new sub-candidate (if the sub stays). The MC obviously like playing older players in the sub role, feeling that it's a difficult role for young players (which, incidently, was what a lot of the rising star nominees agreed with. In interviews at the awards ceremony yesterday a few mentioned how tough it was to come on late in the game and make an impact straigt away..even Bonts i think).

boydogs
04-09-2014, 10:04 PM
As others have said, just because he's on the list doesn't mean he has to play every game...he may even become the new sub-candidate (if the sub stays). The MC obviously like playing older players in the sub role, feeling that it's a difficult role for young players (which, incidently, was what a lot of the rising star nominees agreed with. In interviews at the awards ceremony yesterday a few mentioned how tough it was to come on late in the game and make an impact straigt away..even Bonts i think).

Good point & correct re. Bonti

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Remi, what do you actually want/or would prefer to happen. You made a few posts in recent weeks about the older guys. Would you prefer to see one/two go every year, or all in one hit? Not sure where you sit tbh.

I'd just prefer to see them go when their time's up. Not a season longer. If it's next year, or the year after, and it's three or four, then does it matter? This young group will be 50-80 games by then.

Remi Moses
05-09-2014, 03:31 AM
Remi, what do you actually want/or would prefer to happen. You made a few posts in recent weeks about the older guys. Would you prefer to see one/two go every year, or all in one hit? Not sure where you sit tbh.

I'd just prefer to see them go when their time's up. Not a season longer. If it's next year, or the year after, and it's three or four, then does it matter? This young group will be 50-80 games by then.

Ideally I would have liked one more go last season and one more this season.
It frightens the bejesus out of me losing all that experience in one hit.
Worriedalthough Dale and Murph look like they could go two more, players at the age can hit the wall quickly.
Going to require a balancing act

whythelongface
05-09-2014, 11:07 AM
The club should be backing those players in to take Boyd's spot.
Of course he'll hold his spot, as his form is currently worthwhile, but the club constantly talks " the long game" yet is to conservative and careful with its list management .

I beg to differ especially in the last two years when we traded both Lake and Cross. Very few would have seen the Lake trade - a bold move that was hardly conservative.

Also in regards to drafting Bonts at Pick 4 - a player who was widely tipped to go around the # 10 mark - our list managers were bold in selecting him at no. 4 over other 'preferred' candidates. Again a bold move.

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I think Griffen post 2015 can move to the HBF to cover Murphy's exit. Our young midfield we be that much more mature with 2 more preseasons under their belts and less reliant on Griff.

G-Mo77
05-09-2014, 02:20 PM
I think Griffen post 2015 can move to the HBF to cover Murphy's exit. Our young midfield we be that much more mature with 2 more preseasons under their belts and less reliant on Griff.

That's something out of left field. Once Macrae starts to add a bit of size to his frame he'll probably shoulder some of Griff's load in the midfield so yeah it could certainly be possible. Cooney would have been a nice fit of the HBF if he had a defensive side to his game.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2014, 02:39 PM
That's something out of left field. Once Macrae starts to add a bit of size to his frame he'll probably shoulder some of Griff's load in the midfield so yeah it could certainly be possible. Cooney would have been a nice fit of the HBF if he had a defensive side to his game.

It doesn't get spoken of much but Cooney's defensive game is absolutely terrible, isn't it? With his pace and size, he should be able to apply immense pressure.

Remi Moses
05-09-2014, 04:17 PM
I beg to differ especially in the last two years when we traded both Lake and Cross. Very few would have seen the Lake trade - a bold move that was hardly conservative.

Also in regards to drafting Bonts at Pick 4 - a player who was widely tipped to go around the # 10 mark - our list managers were bold in selecting him at no. 4 over other 'preferred' candidates. Again a bold move.

The lake move was bold, but you couldn't say the Cross move was.
We would have had a frighteningly lopsided list if they'd both stayed.

bull79
05-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Why Would we do a silly thing like this? We should see if Brad Johnson wants a kick!?

Eastdog
05-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Why Would we do a silly thing like this? We should see if Brad Johnson wants a kick!?

Boyd is probably thinking its his last chance to play in a final series but realistically I don't think it will happen next year. I guess it's a good to keep an another experience player but at the same time we need to go for the youth.

bull79
05-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Boyd to me was finished this year? I am scared he will look silly next year or spend the year in the seconds? He does not deserve that?

Eastdog
05-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Boyd to me was finished this year? I am scared he will look silly next year or spend the year in the seconds? He does not deserve that?

He had a decent season this year but yeah his ball effectiveness isn't great. Welcome to woof by the way bull79.

funked
06-09-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't mind Boyd staying another year. He's never been the most skillful player but he can still provide leadership on the field by helping the younger players with the game (like an on-field coach) while also showing them by example, the discipline and dedication it takes to be a successful AFL footballer.

always right
06-09-2014, 01:24 PM

He had a solid year and showed no signs of falling away. No idea what his disposal efficiency was but my perception is that he was generally okay and concentrated on kicking within his limitations....with occasional lapses.

It's not say the club has made the right decision. It could all go pear shaped next year for Boydy. I hope not.

bornadog
06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
He had a solid year and showed no signs of falling away. No idea what his disposal efficiency was but my perception is that he was generally okay and concentrated on kicking within his limitations....with occasional lapses.

It's not say the club has made the right decision. It could all go pear shaped next year for Boydy. I hope not.
Average disposals 26.2 at 66.5%

GVGjr
06-09-2014, 02:33 PM
I don't mind Boyd staying another year. He's never been the most skillful player but he can still provide leadership on the field by helping the younger players with the game (like an on-field coach) while also showing them by example, the discipline and dedication it takes to be a successful AFL footballer.

Welcome aboard. That's how I see it. If his form wasn't good then I can understand why we wouldn't want to keep him but I'm assuming he is now just playing on his merits and will have to earn his spot against some good midfielders.

Twodogs
06-09-2014, 03:23 PM

He did start the year like a German band and fell away a bit toward the end. Maybe the club thinks if it can get him fitter over the preseason he will last the journey.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Both Geelong and Hawthorn last night had 7 players each 30 years or older playing.Next year we will have 3 players on our list 30 years or older. All 3 players have been champions of our Club and deserve their spot on the list. Why the panic?

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Both Geelong and Hawthorn last night had 7 players each 30 years or older playing.Next year we will have 3 players on our list 30 years or older. All 3 players have been champions of our Club and deserve their spot on the list. Why the panic?

They are 2 and 3 on the ladder we are 14th. Boyd plays the same role as Hrovat, Honeychurch, Smith, Wallis, he will cost them games. As far as the mentor side of things, we have Griff, Cooney and Libba. I think he is superfluous to requirements next year.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2014, 05:08 PM
They are 2 and 3 on the ladder we are 14th. Boyd plays the same role as Hrovat, Honeychurch, Smith, Wallis, he will cost them games. As far as the mentor side of things, we have Griff, Cooney and Libba. I think he is superfluous to requirements next year.

If the players you mentioned are playing better than Boyd they will get a game. Competition for spots is great irrespective of age. Boyd deserves another season on stats alone. No matter where a team is on the ladder having 3 players on their list over 30 is not a big problem. Having 7 in your best 22 is a big problem.

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 05:24 PM
If the players you mentioned are playing better than Boyd they will get a game. Competition for spots is great irrespective of age. Boyd deserves another season on stats alone. No matter where a team is on the ladder having 3 players on their list over 30 is not a big problem. Having 7 in your best 22 is a big problem.

It's about the list as well. I would prefer to throw a dart at a rookie or very late draft pick, then keep someone around who is clearly not going to be a factor when we next vie for finals. I like Boydy, but I was really comfortable with the Cross delisting and thought we should've done it with Boyd this year.

Remi Moses
06-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Just out of interest Ryan O'keefe was a champion of their club.
Didn't seem to bother them.

Remi Moses
06-09-2014, 05:41 PM
It's about the list as well. I would prefer to throw a dart at a rookie or very late draft pick, then keep someone around who is clearly not going to be a factor when we next vie for finals. I like Boydy, but I was really comfortable with the Cross delisting and thought we should've done it with Boyd this year.

Exactly. Those top 4 clubs are in premiership mode, so that's a moot point.
The club

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 05:50 PM
One year is about right for me, his form warrants it and he is still best 22. Let alone bulldog thru and thru, club captain and leader of men. If Gia's season 2014 is the example then that's good management. I would think that Boyd will spend some time in the twos as other players come through.

Agree with many posters that we should be making some cuts into the list, but not this year with Boyd.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Just out of interest Ryan O'keefe was a champion of their club.
Didn't seem to bother them.

Ryan O'Keefe couldn't crack it for a game all year just about. Boyd finished 7th in our B & F. Can't compare their output this year.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2014, 05:52 PM

We agree to disagree for the reasons I have previously mentioned.

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 05:54 PM
We'll said.
I am sick and tired of the negativity towards Boyd. He is a former captain who has given his heart and sole to this club so people should give him some respect.
Sure his kicking can be suspect but he does a lot of other things right and his season was more than solid.
I am glad he signed for another year.

Remi Moses
06-09-2014, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Bulldog4life;395049]Ryan O'Keefe couldn't crack it for a game all year just about. Boyd finished 7th in our B & F. Can't compare their output this year.[/
I'll pose a question
If a young midfielder is playing good football at VFL level and Boyd's still playing good footy, who should we play ?
Remembering where the club is currently at, and looking to the future.

Remi Moses
06-09-2014, 06:01 PM
We'll said.
I am sick and tired of the negativity towards Boyd. He is a former captain who has given his heart and sole to this club so people should give him some respect.
Sure his kicking can be suspect but he does a lot of other things right and his season was more than solid.
I am glad he signed for another year.

Every player gives their heart and soul . It's about building the list for a shot a flag.
Do you think Clinton Jones at Stkilda didn't give his heart and soul? It's a brutal business.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2014, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=Bulldog4life;395049]Ryan O'Keefe couldn't crack it for a game all year just about. Boyd finished 7th in our B & F. Can't compare their output this year.[/
I'll pose a question
If a young midfielder is playing good football at VFL level and Boyd's still playing good footy, who should we play ?
Remembering where the club is currently at, and looking to the future.

As I said in a previous post..If the players you mentioned are playing better than Boyd they will get a game. I would put all young mid fielders into that category. It would be up to the MC to decide. My point is there isn't a problem of having three 30 year olds on your our list, who happen to be champions of our Club and all are playing good footy.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2014, 06:06 PM
With respect, being a former captain, bleeding RW&B or great clubman is not justification for continued contracts. It's important to treat them with respect, but Scott West and former captain Doug Hawkins was prime example of needing to look beyond club loyalties. If Boyd deserves a spot over our kids, which I personally don't agree with, then he's retained. Easy. Treating someone with respect or re-signing them can not be about liking someone's past, it's about the future. Thinking a player is passed their use by date isn't disrespectful, it's a subjective opinion. He's contracted, so I hope he has a bloody brilliant 2015.

Remi Moses
06-09-2014, 06:10 PM
With respect, being a former captain, bleeding RW&B or great clubman is not justification for continued contracts. It's important to treat them with respect, but Scott West and former captain Doug Hawkins was prime example of needing to look beyond club loyalties. If Boyd deserves a spot over our kids, which I personally don't agree with, then he's retained. Easy. Treating someone with respect or re-signing them can not be about liking someone's past, it's about the future. Thinking a player is passed their use by date isn't disrespectful, it's a subjective opinion. He's contracted, so I hope he has a bloody brilliant 2015.

Well said . Unfortunately supporters like to romanticise a little to much.
Having said that, I don't agree with the decision, but hope he finishes up on a good note.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Well said . Unfortunately supporters like to romanticise a little to much.
Having said that, I don't agree with the decision, but hope he finishes up on a good note.

I was giving you facts not romanticising a little too much. So that's a cheap shot. You have your opinion I have mine. We agree to disagree. Doesn't mean you are right.

F'scary
06-09-2014, 06:25 PM
I have worked out how to keep everyone happy:

Boyd to play as permanent sub in 2015

boydogs
06-09-2014, 06:26 PM

4 isn't it? Boyd, Minson, Murphy, Morris.

I think it's one too many in a developing side and we would be wise to trade Minson for another kid and prevent Campbell & Cordy from being stuck in the VFL for another year

Bulldog4life
06-09-2014, 06:28 PM
4 isn't it? Boyd, Minson, Murphy, Morris.

I think it's one too many in a developing side and we would be wise to trade Minson for another kid and prevent Campbell & Cordy from being stuck in the VFL for another year

I was going by the ages now. Maybe Hawthorn and Geelong might have more too. Not sure.

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Every time I see the title of this thread I get so excited, then I see that godforsaken hyphen!!!

GVGjr
06-09-2014, 07:27 PM

It all comes down to how Boyd is used next season. If he has to earn his spot then I can't really see an issue.

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Every player gives their heart and soul . It's about building the list for a shot a flag.
Do you think Clinton Jones at Stkilda didn't give his heart and soul? It's a brutal business.
Difference is Boyd is still playing reasonable footy and you do not want to get rid of all your experience to quickly.

GVGjr
06-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Exactly. Those top 4 clubs are in premiership mode, so that's a moot point.
The club

Our list management issues started at the end on the 2008 season because we made minimal changes at a time we considered ourselves in a premiership window.
We also didn't make allowances for the compromised drafts ahead and the very likely commitments we had with father son selections.

To me having Boyd on the list doesn't compromise our development of younger players.

azabob
06-09-2014, 09:27 PM
A lot of threads go around and around in circles, but I think this one takes the cake.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2014, 09:30 PM
A lot of threads go around and around in circles, but I think this one takes the cake.

Dunno, I saw a bulldogs beanie and a bulldogs rego plate on one day the other day. Two in one day Aza. Two.

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Dunno, I saw a bulldogs beanie and a bulldogs rego plate on one day the other day. Two in one day Aza. Two.

We are the threat!

Twodogs
06-09-2014, 10:32 PM
I had people parking their car outside my house and walking to the football last Sunday.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Aza, your PMs are full mate.

chef
07-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Every time I see the title of this thread I get so excited, then I see that godforsaken hyphen!!!

I find that sad. He played well enough to earn another contract.

westdog54
08-09-2014, 09:01 AM
People have raised concern about big chunks of experience leaving the club in the one hit. That's a valid thought but the way I see it:

Murphy and Morris both have at least 2 years left in them IMO. Murph in particular hasn't lost his elusiveness even though I think he's slowed down a little in recent years. He gets by through awareness and football smarts, its something thats not teachable.

They are both so professional in their approach that it will buy them longevity in the game.

Also consider that at the end of 2016 (which is when I anticipate Coons, Murph and Morris will all go) that we will have (assuming they all stay) the following experience on the list:

8 years: Roughead, Jones (haven't given up hope he will stay), Picken, A.Cordy (Despite a lack of senior chances this will be seen as a brilliant year for his development IMO)
7 Years: Crameri, Stevens
6 Years: Libba, Wallis, Dahlhaus, JJ
5 Years: Smith, Talia, Dickson, Roberts, Campbell and possibly Jong and Redpath (I don't see Pearce getting retained)
4 Years: Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat, Hunter, Darley.
3 Years: Bonti, Honeychurch

That is a very good field of depth to work with.

I've got no issue with Boyd continuing to mentor these guys for one more year.