PDA

View Full Version : Macca Season Review

bornadog
05-09-2014, 07:27 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-09-04/poor-finish-shouldnt-mask-positives-mccartney%20?camefrom=EMCL_380406_17316509

bull79
05-09-2014, 11:10 PM
In my opinion Macca is the first coach in 28 years of my support, that seems to do all the right things in building a premiereship side. yes the results are not there! But I feel for the first time that we are on the verge of something special? Unfortunately we will be competing with GWS & GC for the premiereship!

G-Mo77
06-09-2014, 12:16 AM
He always speaks so well but I'm getting pretty tired of hearing how many quarters we won. 1 less win than last year maybe short sited but it's what counts in the end. If we won even more quarters next year but still lost the same amount of games should we be happy?

LostDoggy
06-09-2014, 07:35 PM
He always speaks so well but I'm getting pretty tired of hearing how many quarters we won. 1 less win than last year maybe short sited but it's what counts in the end. If we won even more quarters next year but still lost the same amount of games should we be happy?

He's like a politician for mine, always using spin and little snippets if information that make everything seem OK, but in reality it's pretty obvious all is not rosy! I think a better way to interpret Macca's speech would be to turn the volume off and just watch him scratching the back of his head!

w3design
12-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Having heard Macca in various forums, I believe his words cover for his inexperience as the main coach.

however, he has spent 3 years not just building a team but building a club and philosophy for the future.

next season will be a big test for him as any build and development has to show a move towards winning, so we need to aim for a 50% win record and see where this takes us

Remi Moses
12-09-2014, 10:37 PM
We need to start to show improvement next season ( that's a given)
I think what we hear and see in the outside world is different to the inner workings.
If we get off to a slow start next season the media and supporter blow torch will be heavy.
I think it's a bit of player personnel and tactical expertise that are our biggest issues,and I think we're all pleased the exit interviews were confronting .

F'scary
12-09-2014, 10:41 PM
If Macca wants to buy a bit of insurance for his continued tenure, he should cut the list hard now and get a batch of recruits from pre draft trades, delisted free agents, the draft & the preseason & the rookie draft.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2014, 10:48 PM
If Macca wants to buy a bit of insurance for his continued tenure, he should cut the list hard now and get a batch of recruits from pre draft trades, delisted free agents, the draft & the preseason & the rookie draft.

I'd have more support and/or faith if the list was turned over. So many recent problems of other clubs have stemmed back from over estimating their lists. We did it last year and it's looking a possibility again. If Dalrymple is good at his job, which he is, then give him more responsibility.

Remi Moses
12-09-2014, 11:14 PM
I'd have more support and/or faith if the list was turned over. So many recent problems of other clubs have stemmed back from over estimating their lists. We did it last year and it's looking a possibility again. If Dalrymple is good at his job, which he is, then give him more responsibility.

I reckon he's been a tad to conservative in his list management as well.

GVGjr
13-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Having heard Macca in various forums, I believe his words cover for his inexperience as the main coach.

however, he has spent 3 years not just building a team but building a club and philosophy for the future.

next season will be a big test for him as any build and development has to show a move towards winning, so we need to aim for a 50% win record and see where this takes us

Good post and welcome aboard

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't care how many games we win next year, or the year after that. I don't believe in incremental improvement.

I want to see constant shaping and improvement of the list so we can challenge for a flag.

And that can be a sudden thing once all the pieces are in place.
I'd rather trade and draft for the long term future rather than increase our chances of being more competitive in the short term.

We have a cluster of young talent that may be the best we've ever assembled.
I'd be trading and drafting to bolster this group and age bracket with as much top end talent as we possibly can.
If that means moving on some senior players while they still have currency,
and maybe even going backwards next year in terms of wins / losses, then so be it.

I can take the pain.

Maddog37
16-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Not sure the clubs bottom line could take the pain though.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-09-2014, 01:26 PM
I don't care how many games we win next year, or the year after that. I don't believe in incremental improvement.

I want to see constant shaping and improvement of the list so we can challenge for a flag.

And that can be a sudden thing once all the pieces are in place.
I'd rather trade and draft for the long term future rather than increase our chances of being more competitive in the short term.

We have a cluster of young talent that may be the best we've ever assembled.
I'd be trading and drafting to bolster this group and age bracket with as much top end talent as we possibly can.
If that means moving on some senior players while they still have currency,
and maybe even going backwards next year in terms of wins / losses, then so be it.

I can take the pain.
Our list simply needs to get better as you have rightly identified. We have had a dearth of talent in the 25-28 age bracket and have now been paying the price for that over these past 3 years. We simply need to identify more of the Bontempelli, Macrae, Hrovat, Libba, Wallis types to quickly rebuild the list in order to become a competitive force again. The need for a key forward and defender still needs to be a priority IMO.