PDA

View Full Version : Simon Garlick on SEN now talking trade etc.

bornadog
10-09-2014, 05:23 PM
On now.

chef
10-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the incoming summary BAD;)

bornadog
10-09-2014, 05:37 PM
I only came in half way - this is what I picked up:

* Will leave no stone unturned to find a key position player - won't be throwing around big dollars as have to consider impact on other players. Also looking for someone with a few years left playing ie not a mature KPP

* No real comment on Sam Reid. Says blame Bluey Hampshire for getting rid of his old man.

* Higgins - Still having discussions

* Won't be changing name back to Footscray.

* Asked about Libba and his indiscretion 3 years ago and where he is now.

* Eithad - $2 to $3 million down every year with current stadium deal. Says out of our control.

* Question - Any tension between senior players and coach? - Says no????

Remi Moses
10-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks BAD. Gotta think the club CEO isn't going to talk about list management .
The Etihad deal is nothing short of a disgrace.

Webby
10-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Available to listen here:

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer

ledge
10-09-2014, 06:36 PM
No stone unturned but won't be spending big dollars .. Well that's a stone not turned then isn't it ?

bornadog
10-09-2014, 06:40 PM
No stone unturned but won't be spending big dollars .. Well that's a stone not turned then isn't it ?

In other words won't spend ridiculous money that unbalances the whole playing group salaries.

Webby
10-09-2014, 06:47 PM
I get the feeling that the player we're after might still be involved in the finals series, or perhaps an Essendon player who'll need some lawyers to assist his exit..

jeemak
10-09-2014, 06:47 PM

He's not going to go on radio and call out that we're willing to throw money around, particularly if there's only good ordinary KPP's on the market which is likely to be the case!

Webby
10-09-2014, 06:54 PM
He's not going to go on radio and call out that we're willing to throw money around, particularly if there's only good ordinary KPP's on the market which is likely to be the case!

Yeah, it's pretty common knowledge that we've got as much spare cap room up our sleeve as anyone. Particularly after the Patton episode, so there's no need to publicly spruik it. Good young list, packed with good mids, a howling need for bookends and ample cap space. Good KPP's would have to be interested. Screaming from rooftops would just appear desperate.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-09-2014, 06:55 PM
I get the feeling that the player we're after might still be involved in the finals series, or perhaps an Essendon player who'll need some lawyers to assist his exit..

Carlisle or Sam Reid? Wishful thinking!

GVGjr
10-09-2014, 07:12 PM
In other words won't spend ridiculous money that unbalances the whole playing group salaries.

The sensible thing to do. Not sure why that point wouldn't be clear.

josie
10-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Interview already summarised on AFL website:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-10/dogs-hopeful-on-higgins?utm_medium=RSS

Good to hear him say he is confident in the capabilities of Michael Talia and Fletcher Roberts as young players coming through who are going to be able to hold down a key defensive position for us.

Remi Moses
11-09-2014, 03:20 AM
We're paying close to 95 % of the salary cap! Plenty of wriggle room.

The Pie Man
11-09-2014, 10:16 AM
What's with the question about rumours of rifts developing b/w senior players and Macca?

Based merely on Jones & Higgins (wanting out that is)?

bornadog
11-09-2014, 10:23 AM
What's with the question about rumours of rifts developing b/w senior players and Macca?

An SEN callers question.

Mofra
11-09-2014, 10:43 AM
There have been rumours about a couple of players - a B-Mac spray si said to be worse than a Rocket spray. Make of that what you will.

Webby
11-09-2014, 10:58 AM
There have been rumours about a couple of players - a B-Mac spray si said to be worse than a Rocket spray. Make of that what you will.

Grown men whining, then.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Grown men whining, then.

Dale Morris has said this before. Dont think it was him whinging, just stating what is. I think Macca can really dish it out and i still have complete faith in him. There are no quick fixes to what he is trying to achieve.

stefoid
11-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Nice to blame Hampshire for us drafting Howard and Tutt when Carlisle and Reid were available at latter picks.

Seriously, how bad was the 2009 draft on a scale from

1 - horrendous
to
10 - worst draft ever in the history of drafting in the entire multiverse.

Im going with 7

Webby
11-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Dale Morris has said this before. Dont think it was him whinging, just stating what is. I think Macca can really dish it out and i still have complete faith in him. There are no quick fixes to what he is trying to achieve.

Most coaches need to be able to apply the stick at times. If the suggestion is that the coach' sprays have hurt a couple of our players' feelings to the point that they want to leave, then I say take the trade/compo for them. Guys like Morris, Picken, Boyd etc wouldn't batter an eyelid at a coach's spray. If there's a sook factor creeping into the culture, I say cut it out whilst the going's good. The jury was well and truly out on a couple of them in any case, so this just reaffirms my thoughts.

McCartney clearly dishes out plenty of carrots. If some can't take the occasional stick, they're not for us.

bornadog
11-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Most coaches need to be able to apply the stick at times. If the suggestion is that the coach' sprays have hurt a couple of our players' feelings to the point that they want to leave, then I say take the trade/compo for them. Guys like Morris, Picken, Boyd etc wouldn't batter an eyelid at a coach's spray. If there's a sook factor creeping into the culture, I say cut it out whilst the going's good. The jury was well and truly out on a couple of them in any case, so this just reaffirms my thoughts.

McCartney clearly dishes out plenty of carrots. If some can't take the occasional stick, they're not for us.

That is really old school. People react and get motivated by different ways. Yelling and screaming doesn't always work with every single person. A good manager of people should know how to deal with different people. Have you heard about Gen Y - its real.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-09-2014, 12:30 PM
That is really old school. People react and get motivated by different ways. Yelling and screaming doesn't always work with every single person. A good manager of people should know how to deal with different people. Have you heard about Gen Y - its real.
Agree and i would put Macca up there as one of the best managers of people. His people skills is one of his best qualities so when he gives a spray i would think it was well deserved.

Greystache
11-09-2014, 12:35 PM

Yet your favourite all time coach used to scream uncontrollably at players constantly?

If a player needs all carrot, even when not performing over an extended period, and is going to be upset when they get a taste of the stick then they're not cut out for a high pressure job. The Gen Y argument is a cop out for people wanting a free ride in life (and yes I'm Gen Y).

dadsgirl16
11-09-2014, 12:39 PM
^^^^ this! (definitely not Gen Y tho')

Webby
11-09-2014, 12:40 PM

Do you really think McCartney is old school?? The bloke's worked as a school teacher for most of his career. He's probably more adept with dealing with "young people" than any of us.

My comments were in response to the suggestion that McCartney's brimstone speeches (or style) might've led to a couple of want aways. And if they are who I think they are, I'm not too fussed.

I'll play the world's smallest violin for them and be happy for us to trade in some new players. Whether as a result of too much stitck or too many cuddles, if a small minority of players are unhappy and moaning about, I'm happy for them to be traded out. As good as Roos, Matthews, Sheedy etc were, they all had players who wanted out at some point. It's not the coach's role to please everyone. Quite the opposite.

Happy Days
11-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Yet your favourite all time coach used to scream uncontrollably at players constantly?

If a player needs all carrot, even when not performing over an extended period, and is going to be upset when they get a taste of the stick then they're not cut out for a high pressure job. The Gen Y argument is a cop out for people wanting a free ride in life (and yes I'm Gen Y).

This Gen Y stuff is so stupid.

Yep, the past generations absolutely nailed their attitudes to football. That's why guys like Diesel Williams and Matthew Robbins are suffering from memory loss and depression from having to play through concussions, and why everyone thinks Harry L is a pussy for being offended by homophobia.

And while we're at it, let's chuck out all these bloody sports "scientists" (who ever heard of a ACL back in the 70s) and modern game planning, how good is contested marking!

Gen Y are all pussies for not responding to belittlement like good little foot soldiers who don't have a brain outside of a football field.

boydogs
11-09-2014, 02:15 PM

An SEN callers question.

Possibly regarding the rumour that Boyd left the club after a falling out with the coach

Greystache
11-09-2014, 02:19 PM
This Gen Y stuff is so stupid.

Yep, the past generations absolutely nailed their attitudes to football. That's why guys like Diesel Williams and Matthew Robbins are suffering from memory loss and depression from having to play through concussions, and why everyone thinks Harry L is a pussy for being offended by homophobia.

And while we're at it, let's chuck out all these bloody sports "scientists" (who ever heard of a ACL back in the 70s) and modern game planning, how good is contested marking!

Gen Y are all pussies for not responding to belittlement like good little foot soldiers who don't have a brain outside of a football field.

I think you might have entirely missed the point.

Remi Moses
11-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Let's be honest players of any generation react diffently to a spray .
Some take it on board, but others make excuses and whinge it up.
Think it's always the case when dealing with 40 odd blokes of different personalities.

Webby
11-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Let's be honest players of any generation react diffently to a spray .
Some take it on board, but others make excuses and whinge it up.
Think it's always the case when dealing with 40 odd blokes of different personalities.

Correct. Has always been the case and always will be the case. Personalities come into the equation and if key personalities aren't jelling, then something has to give. If it means a couple of underwhelming players, then so be it.

The world has changed, but it hasn't changed that much. Yes, you do get the odd raving, irrational lunatic coach who over does the ranting bit, however McCartney is clearly not one of those. Therefore the "he sprays me too much" line seems a little convenient. Fact is, he just isn't getting through to one or two blokes who want out, so I say let them leave. Particularly if the coach is putting faith in them to follow instructions and lead the way, only to find they're not doing it.

Because Norm Smith, Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankly and Vince Lombardi all had players they just couldn't get along with. Football is far from the corporate HR world. Frank, millisecond discussions are required at times and things need to occasionally be heated. When you need to get through to a player at a 3 minute three-quarter-time huddle in a tight game, you can't workshop your approach with HR! By nature, a coach needs to be short, sharp and occasionally stinging. Particularly if so-called leaders in the playing group are letting him (and us) down. If he needs to assert himself by bringing them down a peg in front of the playing group, then so be it.

If certain petals are too fragile for that, then perhaps they need to find employment elsewhere... Because, sadly, I fear they'll find out in the longer term that they're in the wrong industry. I'd advise against jumping on the coach for this.

Torpedo
11-09-2014, 05:19 PM
I'm just sick and tired of the Libba incident still being dragged up. I think it is Basil Z on Channel 7 who seeks to raise it every time Libba performs an outstanding action. Just seems to be denigrating Libba rather than praising his skill at the key moment. It was years ago now, when he was doing what most young men do - experiment. Made a poor decision, got disciplined, changed his ways and has become an elite midfielder. Move on I say.
Dwanyo might be another offender but I usually mute him.

bornadog
11-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Yet your favourite all time coach used to scream uncontrollably at players constantly? .

You mean that bloke that is regarded our second best coach in our history - oh, yeah well that was wrong too as it doesn't work with every one.

bornadog
11-09-2014, 05:51 PM
If certain petals are too fragile for that, then perhaps they need to find employment elsewhere... Because, sadly, I fear they'll find out in the longer term that they're in the wrong industry. I'd advise against jumping on the coach for this.

just curious, have you ever managed people?

Webby
11-09-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm just sick and tired of the Libba incident still being dragged up.

Yeah, me too. Libba's a straight A student who shuns the spotlight and just sticks his head down and works hard. He went out with some ex-schoolmates one night and it got big on him. Simple as that. Didn't harm anyone, didn't threaten anyone - just had too big of a night.

It sounds cliche, but who didn't have a huge one at 19? I was busy skipping uni lectures and hitting the pub, getting into bust ups and making a goose of myself... And I consider myself a model citizen.

Try going to uni whilst playing professional football at the highest level. I guarantee that 99.9% of us would be ready for a huge night out once the season and uni semester was over! Libba would also have a crew of old school mates with it marked on their calendar to show him a huge night out when that day came.

Obviously, amongst a group of 19 year olds boys, it only takes one to push the envelope. The poor kid learned a harsh public lesson for a very, very minor indiscretion, trimmed back his list of mates a little, took his whack and got back to working his backside off for a club he loves.

He's a good, good kid and we're lucky to have him.

Greystache
11-09-2014, 05:56 PM
You mean that bloke that is regarded our second best coach in our history - oh, yeah well that was wrong too as it doesn't work with every one.

By some perhaps. Also the longest serving coach in the history of the game without a premiership, as well as the longest streak in history without a GF appearance- just for those into trivia.

Webby
11-09-2014, 06:04 PM
just curious, have you ever managed people?

Yes. And I understand the difference between football and the corporate environment. Please spare me the Maslow's hierarchy of needs stuff etc, BAD. (I anticipate it's coming). In FOOTBALL, players need to be able to take a spray from a coach. Sure, the coach also needs to embrace diversity, hand out cuddles etc etc, but it is equally a player's responsibility to take hard, direct and even brutal feedback without using it as an excuse to play the sook card.

An office environment is quite different. The arousal levels required to perform at AFL level are quite different to performing a job at the ABS! Please don't mish-mash the two because you might've done a middle-manager's stint in an office environment.

bornadog
11-09-2014, 06:50 PM
By some perhaps. Also the longest serving coach in the history of the game without a premiership, as well as the longest streak in history without a GF appearance- just for those into trivia.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve by continually bringing up your dislike of Eade. I just don't get it. Its past history:confused:

The point I am trying to make is there are 45 odd players at the club and not all can be motivated by screaming at them. They are all different people with different personalities and therefore need to be handled differently. A good manager of people knows how to handle individuals.

bornadog
11-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Yes. And I understand the difference between football and the corporate environment. Please spare me the Maslow's hierarchy of needs stuff etc, BAD. (I anticipate it's coming). In FOOTBALL, players need to be able to take a spray from a coach. Sure, the coach also needs to embrace diversity, hand out cuddles etc etc, but it is equally a player's responsibility to take hard, direct and even brutal feedback without using it as an excuse to play the sook card.

An office environment is quite different. The arousal levels required to perform at AFL level are quite different to performing a job at the ABS! Please don't mish-mash the two because you might've done a middle-manager's stint in an office environment.

Management of people is no different in any situation, corporate or not.

Yes the big spray to a group of guys in a team needs to be done every now and then at three quarter time etc. What I am talking about is picking out an individual, giving them a spray in front of others or even in a closed room. Believe me doesn't work with all players, and all cultures.

Greystache
11-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Not sure what you are trying to achieve by continually bringing up your dislike of Eade. I just don't get it. Its past history:confused:

The point I am trying to make is there are 45 odd players at the club and not all can be motivated by screaming at them. They are all different people with different personalities and therefore need to be handled differently. A good manager of people knows how to handle individuals.

I didn't actually post an opinion, merely stated a fact. Strange it would be seen as anything else.

And some individuals don't respond to any form of management and simply don't have the ethic to get the best out of themselves. How you've managed to twist an off hand comment into a view that McCartney just screams at players is quite a feat. As has been mentioned ad nauseum there has been any number of styles tried on Jones and Grant without success. If they're going to sook because they've been given a bit of tough love after so much time, then as Webby said, it'll be good to see the back of them. People like that aren't looking for motivation, they're looking for a free ride. So let them have one working for a government department on $50k a year.

Webby
11-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Management of people is no different in any situation, corporate or not.

Yes the big spray to a group of guys in a team needs to be done every now and then at three quarter time etc. What I am talking about is picking out an individual, giving them a spray in front of others or even in a closed room. Believe me doesn't work with all players, and all cultures.

I think you're missing the point, here. Unlike a corporate structure, an AFL Coach will have up to 50 direct reports. Any more than 5 direct reports in a corporate environment is getting toppy! Therefore an onus comes back onto players to cope with more of a one size fits all approach. For the more one-on-one stuff, a coach will rely on his assistant and specialist coaches. Perhaps that's where the criticism might be more accurately directed?

Think about it, the CEO of BHP Billiton (Australia's biggest company) might have eight direct reports - if that. An AFL coach will effectively have 50 odd. It's not a typical structure. It IS different. Do you really think this leaked assessment of McCartney being too caustic is more of a reflection on him, or perhaps the couple of players in question?

I can understand that a coach's approach might get less than 100% out of certain players. That's a given. However for players to cite someone like McCartney's abrasiveness as a reason to leave smells very much like a convenient cop out to me!

Remi Moses
11-09-2014, 07:20 PM
I didn't actually post an opinion, merely stated a fact. Strange it would be seen as anything else.

And some individuals don't respond to any form of management and simply don't have the ethic to get the best out of themselves. How you've managed to twist an off hand comment into a view that McCartney just screams at players is quite a feat. As has been mentioned ad nauseum there has been any number of styles tried on Jones and Grant without success. If they're going to sook because they've been given a bit of tough love after so much time, then as Webby said, it'll be good to see the back of them. People like that aren't looking for motivation, they're looking for a free ride. So let them have one working for a government department on $50k a year.
Hey settle :D

bornadog
11-09-2014, 07:26 PM

Where did I mention Macca or any specific player ? I am talking in general terms.

bornadog
11-09-2014, 07:27 PM
I can understand that a coach's approach might get less than 100% out of certain players. That's a given. However for players to cite someone like McCartney's abrasiveness as a reason to leave smells very much like a convenient cop out to me!

Who said anything about Macca or players leaving?

Webby
11-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Who said anything about Macca or players leaving?

Read back to end page 1 to start of page 2 of this thread.

bornadog
11-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Read back to end page 1 to start of page 2 of this thread.

sorry can't see it Webby????

Webby
11-09-2014, 07:59 PM
sorry can't see it Webby????

This forum, today 11:16am to 11:43am.

bornadog
11-09-2014, 08:39 PM
This forum, today 11:16am to 11:43am.

I was talking in general and not about Macca specifically.

I am bored with this conversation. Lets agree to disagree on the matter.

Webby
11-09-2014, 08:44 PM
I was talking in general and not about Macca specifically.

If you recall, I never addressed you in my initial comments. Our exchange commenced with you challenging my comments. I think you mish mashed your discussion with Greystache with your one with me. But anyhow, I would've been happy to have hit this one over the head with a shovel about four notes ago.

Scorlibo
11-09-2014, 10:10 PM
People like that aren't looking for motivation, they're looking for a free ride. So let them have one working for a government department on $50k a year.

Let me tell you, Canberra is a melting pot of apathy, laziness and mismanagement! And the terrible thing is that they take our money to fund their free ride. Taxes are basically theft, am I right?!

You've been watching too much 'Utopia'.

Greystache
11-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Let me tell you, Canberra is a melting pot of apathy, laziness and mismanagement! And the terrible thing is that they take our money to fund their free ride. Taxes are basically theft, am I right?!

You've been watching too much 'Utopia'.

You do realise there are government departments outside of Canberra? You do right?

Please don't tell you're going give me some lecture about the efficiency in governmental departments and how people don't really understand it the way you do!

Edit- I can't believe I bothered to respond, apologies to anyone reading.

KT31
11-09-2014, 10:57 PM
You do realise there government departments outside of Canberra? You do right?

Please don't tell you're going give me some lecture about the efficiency in governmental departments and how people don't really understand it the way you do!

Edit- I can't believe I bothered to respond, apologies to anyone reading.

Not accepted, you blokes owe me 5 minutes of my life.:)

bulldogtragic
11-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Simon Garlick talking trades = a discussion of society and government depts.

If the KGB need new secret message codings I think we can do the job.

The Doctor
11-09-2014, 11:18 PM
To anyone who heard the interview, did Garlick sell us some hope, something convincing that we know what we're doing?

bornadog
11-09-2014, 11:21 PM
To anyone who heard the interview, did Garlick sell us some hope, something convincing that we know what we're doing?

There is a link to the radio interview on page 1

Edit Here you go

Available to listen here:

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer

The Doctor
11-09-2014, 11:22 PM
There is a link to the radio interview on page 1

Edit Here you go

tried that but it cut out after 20 odd seconds

bornadog
11-09-2014, 11:28 PM
tried that but it cut out after 20 odd seconds