PDA

View Full Version : Review '07

LostDoggy
04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Arguably the most significant event in determining the fortunes of the club over the next few seasons. I'm assuming that it won't be published to members, fascinating as it might be.

According to an spot on the back page of the Age sport this morning, Rocket's under the microscope and the hint is that the loss of Wellman and Drain might have been because of Rocket, that's a rumour I've heard too.

Has anybody else heard anything ?

The Coon Dog
04-11-2007, 01:37 PM
No, haven't heard anything about it.

I still think Drain left because St.Kilda GUARANTEED security for him. I'm sure if we'd have done likewise he would still be at the Whitten Oval. Timing I think, more than anything with Drain.

Mantis
04-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I still think Drain left because St.Kilda GUARANTEED security for him. I'm sure if we'd have done likewise he would still be at the Whitten Oval. Timing I think, more than anything with Drain.

That is correct. He is playing cricket with some mates and that is the reason he gave them.

wimberga
05-11-2007, 12:48 AM
So we know that bond's departure was personal ambition. We assume Drain left because the Saint's gave him security. Can any departures be attributed to the football review?

I don't buy into rocket being involved in the off-field exodus at all, though thats just a feeling. I dont think he would be unhappy at the shake up though. Change of staff can do wonders for a coach and team

The Bulldogs Bite
05-11-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't buy into rocket being involved in the off-field exodus at all, though thats just a feeling. I dont think he would be unhappy at the shake up though. Change of staff can do wonders for a coach and team

Agreed.

I'm confident we'll be a much better side next year. 2007 was a serious wake-up call IMO. New ambitions, new drive, new energy and new tactics employed by new coaches should develop us back into a Top 8 side.

Unfortunately our major holes can't be addressed over night (FF, CHF noteably) but I still think we should be around the 8th-5th mark.

I'd like to see us have a defensive game plan for when things aren't going our way. Hopefully Dean and the rest of the panel can come up with something that works. Our midfielders need to be more accountable and work MUCH harder defensively.

Max469
05-11-2007, 03:29 AM
A guy at work is a friend of Sean Wellman and it was all about not enough of the "mighty dollar".

LostDoggy
05-11-2007, 10:35 PM
A guy at work is a friend of Sean Wellman and it was all about not enough of the "mighty dollar".

Might be, but I do know that he was very well held in high regard at the Bulldogs and they were sorry to see him go, his work ethic was of an excellent standard.

LostDoggy
05-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Here is the opinion piece by Hutchy from Sunday's Age, which I have had to hand type because the scanned image would not paste in here. Any one know what I am doing wrong? (not a computer guru!) I can get it to copy to Word but not here.

Hutchy has his say.

Could it really be 12 months since the Bulldogs' barnstorming run to the finals and predictions of a new dynasty? Rodney Eade enters the 2008 under more pressure than anyone after a review of the football department exposed widespread concerns for the Dogs.

Put simply, Eade has lost the power base he once held at the Dogs. To say he has lost the support of his board and administration would be premature. But to say they hold concerns about his style would be on the money. A strained relationship with chief executive Campbell Rose and the loss of his two talented lieutenants in Chris Bond and Matthew Drain has only added to the pressure.

Like coach Mark Thompson 12 months ago, Eade finds himself under as much pressure internally as externally. Stand by for a new football manager for him to report to and the loss of his earlier role of head of football.

Eade is a shrewd tactician and a good politician when his back is to the wall. He'll need to be. Realistically, only an outstanding showing from the Bulldogs in 2008 will save his coaching job.

GVGjr
05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I read it and think, given all the speculation, that it's reasonable to pose most of those comments. I didn't agree about Eade having to have an outstanding season in 2008 or he will lose his job. In my opinion thats a fair way off the mark.

FrediKanoute
06-11-2007, 04:27 AM
Agree GV. I think that it will depend on how 2008 pans out from a trend perspective. If we start the season with 6 straight losses (big ones) then yeah I think that all and sundry would agree that changes are needed, however if 2008 progresses as I expect it to progress, competitive, comfotably finishing in the 8, around 5 or 6, then I think Eade is safe. It will for mine depend ont he trends which emerge next year.

GVGjr
06-11-2007, 12:02 PM
The club and Eade's failure to address these rumours is the main reason that this speculation is still occurring. Given Eade will be away until the draft, it's unlikely to be addressed anytime soon and this only lends weight to the rumours that Caroline Wilson started a few weeks back and they ones that have been circulating even before that.

I'm not sure why the club hasn't got on the front foot about it but it could get worse.

LostDoggy
06-11-2007, 01:15 PM

I differ on the point about Eade not contributing to the off field exodus. Yes there were some valid reason for people leaving but the rumours are very strong that Eade had lost the support of some of his assistants.

That being said, I'm sure he is very happy for a few of them to move on. Drain going would have hurt.